Video: Bill O’Reilly and I yell at each other about weed

posted at 10:11 pm on January 6, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

For the record, my daughter is only five months old. I wouldn’t even trust her to pack a bowl properly.

In this segment, I felt called upon to defend the glory of the Internet on top of articulating the argument for rethinking the drug war. Bill equates being for legalization with being for all the pot-smoking all the time by all the people. I just don’t think the issue of smoking a bunch of weed (or doing a bunch of texting, which is also at issue, here) need to be law enforcement issues. Not everything I think is inadvisable for my future teen daughter has to be illegal for everyone. I’d rather her not get a tattoo, but tattoos don’t need to be illegal to prevent the downfall of society. Not everything that’s potentially dangerous when abused has to be prohibited by law. Marijuana will be illegal for minors in legalization states, just as alcohol is now. We spend entirely too much money putting too many nonviolent drug offenders in jail, which ironically, can make them into bigger criminals by preventing their reintegration into society after their time in lock-up. Lachlan Markay puts my thoughts on this succinctly.

Yes, there are downsides to marijuana use and possible downsides for society, with which Colorado and Washington will wrestle. That’s how things work in a system of federalism. I don’t usually post myself, but this is a sufficiently interesting generational and philosophical schism on the Right, it’ll be fun to see you guys discuss in comments. Bill says I’m outside the conservative box, and while mine is a pretty libertarian position, I’m not sure my negative take on the drug war is as outside the conservative box as he suggests.

Click to watch:

yelling

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Weed. Gay. Weed. Gay. Weed. Gay.

Ain’t Palin said something lately?

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Cool…

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I’m amazed somebody hasn’t slapped Ted Baxter by now.

viking01 on January 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Mary Katharine Hamm Hooch.

BuckeyeSam on January 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Dave’s Not Here.

Del Dolemonte on January 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Bill is another douchebag.

MoreLiberty on January 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I’m sure shell learn bowl packing early on thanks to public schools……I did.

Cookie?

famous amos on January 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I love MKH. Our brains run similarly. Primary motivators up front and right away. NO TATTOOS for my daughter, but not the end of the world, either.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Funny how when I grew up weed was far more easily accessible than alcohol.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Ain’t Palin said something lately?
Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I think she said she agrees with Phil Robertson about gays and her ex-son-in-law smokes weed….

notropis on January 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Palin could care less about weed. Bigger fish to fry.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I’m amazed somebody hasn’t slapped Ted Baxter by now.

viking01 on January 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM

F**k it, we’ll do it live!

Jeff Weimer on January 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM

As if O’Really knows anything about conservative positions.

Flange on January 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM

notropis on January 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

That Levi douchebag? I’d rather verbaldouche stay at my place for a month than be reminded of Kathy Griffin’s BF again.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM

notropis on January 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Sorry. Ex-almost-son-in-law.

notropis on January 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM

MKH, I took offense when BOR said you were “babbling.” I didn’t think that was fair since you were just trying to make your point.

TarheelBen on January 6, 2014 at 10:29 PM

…BOR interrupts MKH too much…and rarely wonder brain Juan…sometimes I want to b!tchslap him right on the flat screen….when he does that…AND HE DOES IT 97.8% of the time!

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I agree.

notropis on January 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Is there a stranger pundit than O’Reilly?
Odd dude.
And an uninformed blowhard to boot.

verbaluce on January 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM

I’d love to see an analysis of making mere use (guilt determined by blood tests) a crime punishable by increasing fractions of one’s (or one’s parents’) net worth and the death penalty for dealers. Whistleblowers could be granted a percentage of the recovery.

Sorry, but too many years ago, when weed was much weaker, I saw too many high-school teammates and too many fraternity brothers turn into stoners.

BuckeyeSam on January 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Heh. Speak of the devil.

And I find myself strangely agreeing with it…

Hope it ain’t the apokyclipse.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM

O’Reilly needs to smoke a bowl of black hash.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Bill O’Reilly has to remain respectable in NYC somewhat polite society. The Establishment types are totally against this because of better Chinese airports or something.

Something to do with China beating us in airport design.

Punchenko on January 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM

…BOR interrupts MKH too much…and rarely… wonder brain Juan…sometimes I want to b!tchslap him right on the flat screen TV I’m watching….when he does that…AND HE DOES IT!!! 97.8% of the time!

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I just can’t watch tv talking heads. No one is allowed to develop ideas, it’s all just 7 second platitudes and soundbytes.

No wonder the state of the country is the way it is.

Murphy9 on January 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM

BOR is a bloviating blowhard…

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Does anyone know of an occasional marijuana user that’s been to prison?

terryannonline on January 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM

I really need to hear the Welcome Back Kotter theme again.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Mary, I tried to watch. I cannot deal with that rude and obnoxious O’Reilly.

I’m amazed somebody hasn’t slapped Ted Baxter by now.

viking01 on January 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM

We can hope.

davidk on January 6, 2014 at 10:38 PM

The upside of weed legalization is the increase in sales of Doritos.

Bitter Clinger on January 6, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Does anyone know of an occasional marijuana user that’s been to prison?

terryannonline on January 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Has a Mormon ever been to prison? I’m sure one exists somewhere.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Bill O’Reilly on the warpath and shouting down people he disagrees with which is all the more entertaining because I think he’s wrong on this. I generally take a more libertarian view on this and think it’s a personal matter to want to smoke pot just as it’s a personal matter for me to drink alcohol. He was also ranting abut how video games and texting will ruin the youth of our nation and all that nonsense in another segment. I’m not sure how this guy got to be considered some voice of “conservatism” on FOX News. He’s not especially pro-2nd Amendment, he doesn’t support the death penalty last I heard and he’s batpoop crazy if he thinks making pot legal means EVERY young person is going to be a full time stoner. The people who already smoke pot will simply buy it legally now and those who don’t most likely will continue not to.

Yakko77 on January 6, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Heh. Speak of the devil.
And I find myself strangely agreeing with it…
Hope it ain’t the apokyclipse.
Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM

See…the stuff does make you paranoid.
The munchies to follow.

verbaluce on January 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM

See…the stuff does make you paranoid.
The munchies to follow.

verbaluce on January 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Never even tried the stuff. Foul-smelling nasty plant.

I’ll stick with booze.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:44 PM

…BOR interrupts MKH too much

I’ve always thought Bill O was condescending to any female guest. He could have had Margaret Thatcher and his questioning would be along the lines of “As a babe yourself, would you….?”

Marcus on January 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM

MKH – I really wish that you’d do the World a Favor – and EVISCERATE him…..and I mean that in the Medical Sense………

He is one of the Worst People Alive, in my opinion – and he makes the World a Worst Place!!

williamg on January 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM

When Bill ain’t controlling the conversation, he blames the guests.

Sometimes, he’s right. Sometimes, he’s blatantly wrong.

You answered his question, he didn’t like the response because it didn’t go in the direction he wanted, which was binary.

As I always point out, the conversation is moot to me because of Taconic. That was a professional working mother and she killed her children, nieces, nephews and three strangers because she drank and smoke as if it was not a possible danger.

I like MKH, but the libertarian argument only works when we’re discussing a citizenry raised with a conscience of personal responsibility.

To cite how you’ll raise your own kid is a way to deny the value of all the people who are going to be injured or killed as collateral damage.

In other words, you can’t go on The Factor and when confronted with a Colorado version of Taconic, say “Yes, it’s a sad and terrible case, BUT….”, because you already sacrificed your concern for others when you changed the argument to focus solely on your child the first time.

budfox on January 6, 2014 at 10:47 PM

See…the stuff does make you paranoid.
The munchies to follow.
verbaluce on January 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Never even tried the stuff. Foul-smelling nasty plant.
I’ll stick with booze.
Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I enjoyed both in my youth.
Now, much less often, I enjoy both in my middle age.

verbaluce on January 6, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I’m amazed somebody hasn’t slapped Ted Baxter by now.

viking01 on January 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM

We can hope.

davidk on January 6, 2014 at 10:38 PM

A quick thwack to each side with formal gloves at first and then continuous backhands until he blurts “pinhead.”

viking01 on January 6, 2014 at 10:48 PM

“As a babe yourself, would you….?”

Marcus on January 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Heh. Substitute broad for babe and that sounds suspiciously like me.

Only I will tell you right off the bat that you don’t make me the public face of anything.

A man’s got to know his limitations…

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM

MKH started coming up with an answer BOR wasn’t expecting, so he squashed it. Not one of BOR’s stellar moments.

Hog Wild on January 6, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Random thoughts…

… I just dunno; I know people who started with pot and progressed to far worse things, and yes, frankly have irrevocably screwed up their lives. And sadly, they’d argue fervently about how safe it was, wasn’t having an affect on them, etc. Sounded very much like the nitwits I hear on the radio calling in and saying the same thing – and sounding every bit like the stereotypical stoner, without even realizing what it’s doing to them. Making that easier to do seems… foolish, though we can’t protect everyone from doing stuff that’s bad for them…

… that said, Twinkies are bad for you, but I wouldn’t ban them; they’re not likely to cause an altered state of consciousness/performance for someone about to be driving a vehicle and endangering other people… pot, on the other hand…

… with that said, why would not legalize prostitution before legalizing drugs? Anyone here *for* legalizing pot but *against* legalizing prostitution? What would the rationale there be?

… the thing I hate the most about the ‘war on drugs’ is, I think, that it’s not equitably enforced, or certainly seems not to be.

Midas on January 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Never even tried the stuff. Foul-smelling nasty plant.

I’ll stick with booze.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:44 PM

This, exactly. Me too; always hated the smell of that crap.

Midas on January 6, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Midas on January 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM

The good thing is they limit the foolish. One is not likely to find a bank president with tattoos on his/her neck.

Kind of like obama bumper stickers – they make what you’re dealing with more identifiable.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:58 PM

“… the tattoo thing is a strawman argument that doesn’t work – there’s not much body of scientific evidence that tats have a mind-altering or addicting effect on anyone; no one is or is likely ever to suggest they be made illegal in the name of public safety, etc…”

It’s not a straw man. I’m making the specific point that things I find personally inadvisable for my daughter don’t have to be illegal, and that my personal, emotional reaction to my daughter’s behavior isn’t a great basis for policy decisions.

As to the correct analogy, ahem: ALCOHOL.

As to pot’s potential as a “gateway” drug, the potential goes down a whole lot when you’re not getting pot from a dealer who would very much like to sell you other illegal drugs. The gateway gets much smaller when you’re buying from a legal retail space, I’d wager.

Mary Katharine Ham on January 6, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Is there a stranger pundit than O’Reilly?
Odd dude.
And an uninformed blowhard to boot.

verbaluce on January 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Well. Verby. I gotta go outside and see if a comet is hurtling towards my location. I completely agree with you.

oldroy on January 6, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on January 6, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Sorry. But a lot of dope sales go down behind/near police stations.

I doubt a retail establishment is a hindrance to someone selling harder drugs. Quite the opposite, I would imagine.

Time will tell. We’ll keep our eyes on Colorado.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Stoner Nation.

Dongemaharu on January 6, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I’ve never understood how an illegal drug like pot could be a “gateway” drug or even a readily available one like alcohol but not legally until age 21 but rather cigarettes IMO are the gateway drug. Easy to obtain and at a much earlier age than alcohol.

Yakko77 on January 6, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Never even tried the stuff. Foul-smelling nasty plant.

I’ll stick with booze.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 10:44 PM

You should treat yourself, and yes, it’s a treat. The munchies thing is a tired cliche.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Yakko77 on January 6, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I’ve smoked regularly for over 30 years. Tried them when I was 9 or 10. Never felt compelled to try drugs. But then, I’ve never voted democrat, either. Not for keeps, anyway.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM

No thanks. I’m no libertarian. I’m a Rethuglican.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Oh and BTW, I cry BS on pot being a gateway to anything. People that say this have never tried it. If you have a heroin disposition, anything and everything is a gateway to your ultimate desire.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM

The problem with BOR is that he is the very embodiment of The Peter Principle.

And yes, the tattoo example is perfectly valid. Tattoos should not be illegal but, like smoking marijuana recreationally, having them will hold you back unnecessarily.

trapeze on January 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM

People that say this have never tried it.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM

As Joe Friday once said to a stoner “I don’t need to try it to see what it does. I see the effects of it every day.”

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Mary Katherine is so wrong if she thinks legalization will make it harder for kids to get drugs. Quite the opposite.

Sometimes I feel like MKH wants to appear cool to liberals, whether it be supporting illegal alien amnesty, gay marriage, etc. She doesn’t seem like a principled conservative, and I get the feeling she is sometimes more interested in playing buddy-buddy with Juan and Bill, instead of providing a strong voice for conservatism.

I wish Michelle Malkin would appear on cable news more often like she used to. She is so sorely missed.

bluegill on January 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM

I saw that episode, Lanceman. Too funny. But really, it’s no big deal. I personally don’t care much for it. Let’s just say I’d prefer a martini with Hendricks gin.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I saw that episode

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 11:17 PM

You had to be watching ME.

But sadly, the cops are no longer Reed & Malloy.

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 11:20 PM

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Hell no. To be honest, I think people who rely on drugs to feel better are sad and pathetic. I saw what they did to my brother. They don’t make you funnier or smarter or more enjoyable. You’re just screwing with your body and likely acting as a drag to those around you.

I’m not afraid to say that I think many of those potheads are losers, and I would never want to hire any of them.

I am proud to say I have never done pot and never will.

bluegill on January 6, 2014 at 11:20 PM

bluegill, you don’t tip your waiters. Why should anyone listen to you?

btw, it’s nothing to be proud of. You sound like a chicken sh!t.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Is mkh arguing for the legalization of all drugs cause she can deal with things that she finds inadvisable for her daughter. No one elses safety matters

Mormontheman on January 6, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Does anyone know of an occasional marijuana user that’s been to prison?

terryannonline on January 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Actually, yes, several. One for vehicular manslaughter, one for reckless endangerment (vehicle), three for grand theft (one snatch & grab in a jewelry store, two for vehicles). I’ve also lost some acquaintences to marijuana-hazed driving errors, one who simply slipped down a long staircase, and one who walked off of a party barge that was moving, and never surfaced.

Yes, all of those things could have happened due to alcohol. But the conventional wisdom among smokers is that you retain more control stoned than drunk. This fallacy leaves the users more vulnerable to stupidity, and dope wrecks judgement more than alcohol.

I’ve also watched numerous elite athletes completely destroy both their physical potential, and their chances at a sports career by becoming regular blazers. It attacks everything that makes an athlete competitive, by numbing the passions, and blocking both the physical reflexes and the mental immediate-response reasoning necessary to perform well. It’s just plain sad to see. At least one football player I knew said he smoked to balance out the
‘roids, knowing that it suppresses aggression.

Freelancer on January 6, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Pot is for losers.

dpduq on January 6, 2014 at 11:25 PM

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM

The “gateway” thing is always a point of contention in these arguments.

The fact of the matter is that although all marijuana users do not graduate to harder drugs it is nearly undeniable that all hard drug users started with marijuana. You can debate the causality of this but it is still a fact.

I say this as someone who did, in my youth, use marijuana but did not go further with it. I say this as someone who has not used marijuana in over thirty years since those earlier times. I say this as someone who watched countless friends and acquaintances in my youth proceed from marijuana to hard drugs. I say this as someone who saw not a few of those friends and acquaintances ruin and/or end their lives because of said drug abuse.

I used to believe that marijuana use, sale and distribution should be illegal in all circumstances. Now that I am older I no longer care what other people do to themselves. If someone wants to destroy their life I am fairly certain that they will find some way to do it whether it is legal or not. It is my hope that they would not but having witnessed the War On Drugs for several decades I now know that attempting to keep a fool from his folly is just not possible.

trapeze on January 6, 2014 at 11:26 PM

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM

It is a gateway to burning Nag Champa, staring at candles, and listening to the Dead.

Oh, and Cheeto annihilation.

I thought chips, salsa, and vanilla ice cream was the most delicious thing once…

Murphy9 on January 6, 2014 at 11:27 PM

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I thought that bore repeating.

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Apparently you did too.
heh

soundingboard on January 6, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Too late MKH. She will follow in your footsteps when she sees your two full sleeves.

WhatSlushfund on January 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Legalization of Marijuana would prevent us from deporting a lot of awful illegal immigrants. 80000 have been caught thanks to marijuana being an arrestable offence.

Mormontheman on January 6, 2014 at 11:35 PM

The problem with BOR is that he is the very embodiment of The Peter Principle.

Never held me back. On the other hand, I don’t take my shirt off at work either. :)

wsucoug on January 6, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Whenever I see/hear that bloviating buffoon, I want to hammer an uncooked ham down his gullet.

/No offense, MKH

Ugly on January 6, 2014 at 11:40 PM

MKH,

As someone who’s been to a couple of Dead shows (and I’m not going to go into detail, except to say my tea had no problems with the police) Marijuana is not the evil BOR thinks it is. I walked away from it, and would not council anyone to take it seriously (Geez, the insight I discovered through it, only to be disaused of the notion upon waking up the next day)

Is it good? No. But neither is booze and both are not that harmful. I’d rather have a monogamous pot smoking daughter than than a slut sober girl.

rbj on January 6, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Mormontheman on January 6, 2014 at 11:35 PM

But that’s the thing with law-breakers…they break laws. Illegal aliens have already broken the law by entering the USA without permission. An awful lot of them break innumerable other laws while being here. Taking marijuana laws off of the table will hardly make them un-arrestable. It is a matter of political will to arrest them, as they should be, for breaking immigration laws. Lately, our government has demonstrated that they lack that will.

trapeze on January 6, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Bill lies so easy. He claimed there are studies already on pot use going up with children in states that have legalized it? He’s a damn liar. A BS poll is NOT a legitimate study.

Conservative4Ever on January 6, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Wait! I could have sworn in one of his first books Bill O’reilly supported de- criminalization of Marijuana. I believe it was his “No Spin Zone” book.

bigrichard.small on January 6, 2014 at 11:45 PM

wsucoug on January 6, 2014 at 11:35 PM

As an example: When my son enlisted in the armed services three years ago the recruiters were turning away lots of people for various reasons. One of those reasons was visible tattoos. I asked why and the recruiter said that they had too many applicants for the armed services and using visible tattoos as a reason to exclude was as good a reason as any other.

The thing is…there are lots of places that will discriminate against those with visible tattoos. You may not agree with that but it does not make it any less true.

trapeze on January 6, 2014 at 11:47 PM

rbj on January 6, 2014 at 11:40 PM

I have a checked past, and it’s no secret in my family… I have five kids, and I don’t abide with any illegal substance. PERIOD. Not only because it’s possible jail-time, it is also detrimental to their general health (something I learned too late with my drinking. Cirrhosis is a bitch).

Booze? When they’re old enough, it’s their decision. All but one have surpassed that age.

Ugly on January 6, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Truth to be told I never understood the so called “war on drugs”.

We do have contradictory rules on the books. Cocaine is legal as long as it is prescribed to children by a doctor, some times forced by parents, but an adult freely and willingly taking cocaine is a considered a criminal.

I think that all drugs, and I mean, all without exception, should be treated as alcohol: people should be free to get high as much as they want (beyond a certain age as we do with alcohol) but also businesses should be free to discriminate against those who get high or consume drugs regularly. And of course, the notion of DUI should be extended to drug usage as well.

I agree with Bill on most issues, but on this one he is 100% wrong.

p_incorrect on January 7, 2014 at 12:01 AM

O’Reilly was rude with the babbling remark. MKH well done.

AshleyTKing on January 7, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Strawman argument, MKH.

Prison for the drug lords and pushers – yes, but only fines and treatment for the drug addicts. That is, the argument should be for transitioning from imprisonment to helping druggies kick the habit. Let fines and interventions do the job.

whatcat on January 7, 2014 at 12:34 AM

All three characters in this plot were horrific. It was worse than watching a Halloween horror clip.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Lanceman on January 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Yup – get the government into the gateway drug selling business and when the kids want the harder drugs the suppliers will increase to meet the new demand-addiction, as will the supply of hard narcotics themselves.

whatcat on January 7, 2014 at 12:39 AM

I could smell the Old Spice on BillO

faraway on January 7, 2014 at 12:46 AM

The war on drugs has failed …

This is it in a nutshell …

We sacrifice GOOD people like Brian Terry in a futile war against violent cartels in order to save non-productive junkies from themselves.

And good people are dying – and the war is being LOST.

It’s absolutely INSANE what we are doing.

HondaV65 on January 7, 2014 at 12:48 AM

MKH is just so beautiful and a libertarian to boot. Her hubby is a lucky dude.

Bill O’Reilly just has no manners at all, I honestly don’t know why anyone would subject themselves to his arrogance. His opinions are lost on me because I can’t get past his behavior.

KMC1 on January 7, 2014 at 12:54 AM

MKH,

If you make O’Reilly cry one of these nights…

I’m OK with it.

trigon on January 7, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on January 6, 2014 at 11:00 PM

So here’s the question to any of you who want to legalize marijuana: where do you draw the line? Hashish? Opium? Coke? Heroin?

Legalizing any drug puts us on a slippery slope. Please tell me where the line is and why. I acknowledge the dichotomy of legal alcohol, but I defer to the fact that alcohol is a far greater part of society than drugs and is already legal, whereas pot isn’t. Once you start legalizing drugs simply because “they’reno worse than alcohol” then what possible reason is there to legalize pot and NOT legalize, say, hashish?

AJ has been taught from an early age that alcohol, while not necessarily harmful in moderation, is absolutely unnecessary as part of one’s life. That’s a difficult enough battle. I’d really prefer not to have to fight about MORE legal intoxicants.

I mean seriously, folks, can’t we consider teaching kids to get through life NOT getting high?

AJsDaddie on January 7, 2014 at 12:56 AM

whatcat on January 7, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Works for me. Three strike rules and the whole nine yards for sale of any amount.

But that makes too much sense. Kind of like enforcing e-verify. Problem is that too many people WANT to do drugs.

AJsDaddie on January 7, 2014 at 12:59 AM

I really need to hear the Welcome Back Kotter theme again.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Aw yeahhh . . . . . that’s the STUFF . . . : )

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 1:12 AM

I’d be against legal alcohol if there wasn’t a way to determine if someone was driving under the influence of it. I used to smoke dope all the time when I was a teen and in my twenties, and anyone who tells you it doesn’t impair your driving is full of shit.

Buddahpundit on January 7, 2014 at 1:13 AM

My dad was pretty damned conservative, and he’d completely abandoned any support for The War On Drugs. Said we’ve tried everything except decriminalization, and it was time to give it a shot. That was in the 90s.

disa on January 7, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Does anyone know of an occasional marijuana user that’s been to prison?

terryannonline on January 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM

+1.

I’m so tired of hearing this strawman bandied about lately. I haven’t heard of anybody caught with a relatively small amount of weed going to prison since the early 1970′s.

Heck-in the fairly large town where I live, the big-time marijuana distributor for the whole area got caught by the DEA with tons of the stuff after a long investigation, plead guilty, and did one year in Federal Prison.

Dreadnought on January 7, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Buddahpundit on January 7, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Another great opportunity for “Ricky Gates” link, I keep re-posting.

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 1:26 AM

I’d be more impressed with MKH when BOR bans her from his show like he did with MM. I can no longer even stand to watch a video clip of him. Even when he’s right – not in this case – I still won’t watch anymore.

AH_C on January 7, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Another great opportunity for “Ricky Gates” link, I keep re-posting.

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 1:26 AM

But I’m sure someone with Ricky Gates’ job is still banned from smoking marijuana in these legal states because of being in a position of responsibility. Which makes me wonder about those who aren’t banned. I think you could ban all government workers from using marijuana and force them to be tested quarterly. Including elected politicians. Surely those are positions of important responsibility. If not, then why are the taxpayers financing their existence?

Buddahpundit on January 7, 2014 at 1:36 AM

AH_C on January 7, 2014 at 1:26 AM

He banned Michelle ? !

That’s probably common knowledge around here, but I was unaware of it till I just read your comment.

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 1:37 AM

I disagree with MKH, pot is for losers and the more losers we have the worse off we are however:

“Mary Katharine, you’re babbling, you don’t want to engage in a conversation.”

Cripes, between O’riley and Juan Williams there wasn’t enough intellectual firepower to blow the fuzz off a ripe peach and that was just lame. She should have told him he was hysterical and to stop crying, see how he likes it.

V7_Sport on January 7, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Another great opportunity for “Ricky Gates” link, I keep re-posting.

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 1:26 AM

But I’m sure someone with Ricky Gates’ (former) job is still banned from smoking marijuana in these legal states because of being in a position of responsibility.

Buddahpundit on January 7, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Absolutely. In the transportation industry (truck, train, air, or sea) employers are absolutely allowed to impose a “zero tolerance” on employees.

Norfolk Southern was/is a leader in that effort, to the up-most extreme. I’ve been at several of their hiring sessions, and that point is firmly gotten across to all attendees.

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 1:48 AM