Maryland Congressman: So, is it too late to switch over to the federal exchange website?

posted at 5:21 pm on January 6, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

Governor Martin O’Malley finally declared their much-vaunted exchange “not glitch-free but functional for most users” in the middle of December, and yet the state’s enrollment is still lagging way behind both other states and their own goals with only 18,250 residents having signed up for health insurance as of the end of last month while reports of prohibitive website errors still abound. I have no idea how even just temporarily hitching a ride on the also highly imperfect federal exchange until their own site is out of the woods would work administratively (and indeed, Maryland officials still seem to be working on figuring that out), but it sounds like they are genuinely considering the idea — which I’m guessing means they know they still have major website problems, with no definitive end in sight. Via the AP:

Rep. John Delaney, a Democrat, formally asked the state’s health secretary for a specific assessment of the idea of switching to the federal health exchange while Maryland’s exchange is being repaired. He wrote in a letter to Dr. Joshua Sharfstein that Maryland could make the switch in whole or in part or on a temporary basis.Delaney cited recently released data from the White House that indicated 2.1 million people have signed up for private insurance nationally, including more than 1 million through the federal marketplace. The congressman compared that to 18,257 Maryland residents who have been able to enroll, which is 12 percent of the state’s goal of 150,000.

“We have fallen quite far behind the national average and we’re running out of time,” Delaney wrote, adding that he has heard from frustrated and concerned residents throughout his district, which stretches from Garrett County in western Maryland and includes a significant portion of Montgomery County near the nation’s capital.

On Friday, Gov. Martin O’Malley said he would keep the idea of moving to the federal exchange or partnering with other states under consideration.

And that wasn’t the only criticism coming their way, with a potential O’Malley successor throwing in his two cents on the irresponsible manner in which Maryland is currently directing their resources, via WaPo:

A leading Republican candidate for Maryland governor wants the state to stop spending millions of dollars marketing and promoting its problem-plagued health insurance marketplace and instead point residents directly to private insurance carriers and other options.

Harford County Executive David R. Craig (R) released a plan on Monday that calls on the administration of Gov. Martin O’Malley (D) to obtain a waiver from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to divert money away from promoting the state’s health exchange and toward a “public awareness campaign informing consumers of their right to obtain health insurance directly through carriers.”

“Up to $150 million dollars is going towards promoting a failing exchange, and throwing good money after bad needs to end now,” Craig said in a statement. “The administration must realize that their intended solutions are only causing more problems, creating mass confusion, ruining credibility in government and harming our quality of life.”

Things just get worse and worse for what was once supposed to be a model of ObamaCare excellence.

Comments

Maryland was very smug about how super awesome their exchange was. A model for the nation. Even when the federal site bombed, O’Malley was out there sneering at lesser exchanges.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I really love the beauty of Maryland and the people of the part of Maryland I live in (Frederick), but I DESPISE O’Malley and his cronies. They have destroyed this state.

NavyMustang on January 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM

As if that would help.

Gunlock Bill on January 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM

No, by all means, continue to throw good money after bad. Why stop now?

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM

and Obama hisself was personally endorsing Maryland as the gold standard for implementing Obamacare a day or two before the October 1st launch.

DanMan on January 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Seems to me they can still be smug about how they are an example of state run healthcare. I’ve certainly noticed they seem to be functioning just as well as I predicted. Why shouldn’t we hold them up as the definitive model for how governmental health care services work? It’s what they want, after all…..

Vanceone on January 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM

NavyMustang on January 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Decades of one-party rule does that. Detroit and California are cautionary tales for The Free State. Not that anybody in Annapolis cares. You people tax rain!

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Watching O’Malley fail is the only pleasure I can take living in the utopia he and his party has made.

I can’t wait to see him fail on the national stage when he runs for Prez.

Gatsu on January 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Why does the honest media continue to give these ‘enrollment’ figures any credibility whatsoever?

It’s been over 3 months. Has nobody in America paid for one of these policies yet?

faraway on January 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM

OT(so go ahead and yell at me):

Today is Christmas for the Coptic Church in Egypt.

Why isn’t Obama speaking up for them? Oh, I forgot…we don’t support Christians. Might anger our new allies in Iran.

CAIRO (AP) — Millions of Egyptian Christians thronged churches across this mainly Muslim nation for Christmas Mass, held Monday amid unusually tight security…

“We will pray under the night sky,” said Adel Shafiq, a Christian from the town of Dalga south of Cairo, who was attending Mass in a church looted and burned in August. “There is no roof and no windows. People are here wearing scarves and hats to fend off the night cold.”

kcewa on January 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I’m afraid it’s too late for the ironically named “Free State.” There is talk, and just talk I’m afraid, of making a State of Western Maryland, but I won’t hold my breath that will happen.

My solution will be to move somewhere like Idaho, Utah, or Wyoming. Just haven’t decided if I’ll go the “Jeremiah Johnson” route!

NavyMustang on January 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM

NavyMustang on January 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM

You’ll need some good gear. Start with an honest to goodness real tomahawk.

oldroy on January 6, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I can’t wait to see him fail on the national stage when he runs for Prez.

Gatsu on January 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Oh, yes! That will be a sweet day!

Ah, to “crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their staffers!”

NavyMustang on January 6, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I can’t wait to see him fail on the national stage when he runs for Prez.

Gatsu on January 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Gatsu! O’Malley isn’t running for President. He wants the VP slot with Hillary.

But he’s got serious competition. I think the VP slot is going to go to a blue state governor but not O’Malley. Specifically the Dems are going to nominate Chris Christie.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:54 PM

NavyMustang on January 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM

It wasn’t just talk but with Dems in full control of Suburban Maryland, Baltimore (county and city), the state doesn’t give a rodent’s behind about Western Maryland. I think ulitimately this myopia will hurt MD Dems but not anytime soon.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM

It’s only a matter of time before they find o’malley drunk in a gutter.(again)

MD was my State until ten years ago. Headed West and never looked back.

It can’t be fixed.

wolly4321 on January 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM

It’s never too late for an executive order.

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Oh, Erika:

Glitch in federal health site directing Marylanders to other states
By Andrea K. Walker

3:35 p.m. EST, January 6, 2014

Marylanders who use the federal health reform site to search for navigators who can help them enroll in health plans in-person are getting directed to agencies in other states.

The problem lies with a glitch in the federal website that occurs when Marylanders type in their zip code. The website directs users to navigators in Pennsylvania, Virginia and other states.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/blog/bal-health-care-zip-code-glitch,0,4689141.story#ixzz2pf6cdGTw

BKeyser on January 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I think a whole generation of schoolkids are going to learn a different definition of glitch than the rest of us did.

oldroy on January 6, 2014 at 6:01 PM

throwing good money after bad needs to end now

And you expect the Democrats to accept that argument?

I’d wish you all the luck in the world; but I’d hate to waste all that luck on a lost cause.

gekkobear on January 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Hey, they could team up with California since it is doing so well/s

jeffinsjvca on January 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Ah, Maryland – the state that should never have been. Disband and carve it up: east side to Delaware, west side to West Virginia, everything else to Virginia. Maybe Pennsylvania can steal a few northern towns, where geographic boundaries make more sense than using a parallel.
Just think – two less Dem US Senators, a few less Dem US Reps, and a whole lotta Dem state officials out of work. I’m sure O’Malley would take pride in being the Last Governor of Maryland.
Ah well, one can dream…

Marcola on January 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM

The state I grew up in has gone to hell.

22044 on January 6, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Ah, Maryland – the state that should never have been.

Marcola on January 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Maryland was founded as a Catholic state. Perhaps it should be declared illegal because of a violation between church and state.

But I will tell you this- Virginia isn’t interested in getting the portion you would allot to them. Parasites and liberals with no value to society.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I wish the Affordable Care Act had never been passed because it has all but ruined Hot Air. I miss the liberal trolls.

hawkdriver on January 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

hawkdriver on January 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Made my day.Bravo!!!

docflash on January 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

…hey!…they enrolled over 18,000 people!
…you do the math!

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Can’t wait for my parents to finally leave the tax hell hole that is Maryland and move down to sunny South Carolina where they can be free of the den of iniquity that is Maryland.

I just went home to Oxford over Christmas and its such a sad, sorry state of affairs in that town. Where children (like me) used to be playing in the park across the street from the confectionery, the park is empty, the town feels like a scene out of walking dead with nothing but old people mulling about minding their business. It costs too much money to live in that little town anymore – all due to anti-growth, conservation policies implemented by leftist tree hugging a-holes. Hell, the little league baseball diamond I grew up playing on got converted into a dog park because there aren’t enough kids in the town left to put together a little league team!!!!!

Defenestratus on January 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Democrats don’t have enough intelligence to figure this out. This ENTIRE bill is their idea. Look at it. All democrats are STUPID.

tmgrant on January 7, 2014 at 7:03 AM