I guess we need to talk about the new “Old Spice” commercial

posted at 4:41 pm on January 6, 2014 by Allahpundit

Ed beat me to the punch in the Greenroom but this needs a bit more palate-cleansing attention. There are two levels of weirdness here, although I don’t think either has to do with the basic concept. A mom lamenting that her little boy’s all grown up is easy enough to relate to and the “stalking” scenarios are so over-the-top that they’re more corny than creepy. What’s weird is the execution. What’s with the bad singing? The production sounds like a Meat Loaf B-side except that the vocals in places are strikingly amateurish. I assume that was to lend verisimilitude, i.e. that an average mom wouldn’t sing so great, but I don’t know why Old Spice would care about that in a hallucinatory spot like this. Also, what’s with the camera tricks? The one at the end, of the mom sliding across the floor in stop-motion, is especially odd and gratuitous. Either this is a parody of something and I’m not getting the cultural reference or Old Spice decided to go balls-out freaky on it purely in the name of getting attention. Not sure how that’s going to move units for a brand that everyone already knows, but okay.

The other weirdness is the target audience. I think Dan Riehl’s right that this is, ostensibly, aimed at teen boys to convince them that Old Spice will get them as much action as Axe will. But that’s not how it translates. To my eye, it looks like moms are the audience. Right? The kids are an afterthought; the attractive girlfriend character, which usually drives ads aimed at adolescent boys, goes all but completely unnoticed. Hard for me to believe you’ll convince teens they’re going to get laid by playing up, however jokingly, the psychic toll that doing so will inflict on mom. The look of the ad is oddly timeless, too. There’s really nothing here to suggest we’re in 2014 instead of, say, 1985; the hairstyles and clothes in the high-school cafeteria seem outdated. That detail would be lost on an 18-year-old but a fortysomething mom might recognize it from her own youth. Why do that if you’re pitching this at kids? Maybe the ad is pitched at moms — specifically, moms who do the grocery-shopping for their families and are responsible for picking up deodorant/body spray for junior at the supermarket. Here’s what you get your pride and joy if you want to make him popular with the ladies. Which is … yeah, pretty creepy.

Anyway, I know, I know — any publicity is good publicity.

Comments

Oddly enough this story is less weird and offensive then Rodman.

rob verdi on January 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Smellcome to Pajama Boy.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM

This would be crazy to watch after a bottle of scotch and no sleep for 3 days.

Bishop on January 6, 2014 at 4:45 PM

It’s funny.

Blake on January 6, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Oddly enough this story is less weird and offensive then Rodman.

rob verdi on January 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Rodman…is a high bar to clear.

22044 on January 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

The question for any ad: does it make me want to buy the product. Here, the answer is no. In fact, it makes me want to run far away from Old Spice.

rbj on January 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Funny premise, creepy follow through. Moms are pretty fat and scary looking these days, huh?

WitchDoctor on January 6, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I got the echoes of Meat Loaf, too. Wonder if Jim Steinman wrote the song?

Meryl Yourish on January 6, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Stupid.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 6, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Scented body spray?

What happened to taking a shower? Or is that too “old skool” now?

AZCoyote on January 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I think the ad is a metaphor for Obamacare. Instead of “If you like your plan, you can keep your plan” it’s “If you like Old Spice you can keep getting laid until you’re 26 because thanks to Obamacare your parents’ insurance has to pay if you get VD.

radjah shelduck on January 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

It all depends what the follow up ad is.

Weird ads,aren’t so strange it they are followed with a even weirder ad.

Beer commercials do that all the time…it isn’t weird if it works.

right2bright on January 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I laughed while scratching my head, thinking….really?

WisRich on January 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

“Now he smells like a man, and they treat him like one.”

Bwahaha! Yes, the ad is “creepy,” but it also contains kernels of truth that both mothers and sons will recognize.

BTW: would love to see Priebus & the RNC hire the Old Spice ad firm to develop a roster of TV ads mocking the Hillary & the Democrats in 2016.

Robert_Paulson on January 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Has no one seen an old Spice commercial in like the last 5 years or something? They do crazy weird commercials because they are hilarious and funny and its been working for them. This isn’t something new. . ..

thphilli on January 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Smell fugly, attract fugly girls….

hillsoftx on January 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM

They come off creepy to me. I guess the wonder here is that they are still hawking these teens’ great grandpa’s scent of choice as something that attracts females. What’s next an ad for Hai Karate? Musk scented soap-on-a-rope?

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I guess we need to talk about the new “Old Spice” commercial

Allahpundit on January 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Obligatory ?

listens2glenn on January 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM

It all depends what the follow up ad is.

Weird ads,aren’t so strange it they are followed with a even weirder ad.

right2bright on January 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

We’ve already seen it…….

Wear Pajamas,
Drink Hot Chocolate,
Talk about getting health insurance.

Because, trust me, pajama boy is the target audience for Old Spice.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM

What in the hell was that?! I didn’t know Charlie Kaufman was scripting Old Spice commercials.

Doughboy on January 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM

It’s clever,
It’s not the usual stupidity we have come to expect.
FOR A SUBJECT ABOUT MEN, IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THE USUAL PATTERN AND MAKE MEN LOOK LIKE VILLAGE IDIOTS.

oldernwiser on January 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Smell fugly, attract fugly girls….

hillsoftx on January 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Old Spice is classic. My wife likes it and she is very far from fugly even at 55.

I just ran out of OS shaving soap and I kind of liked it for a straight razor shave. I’m using Colonial Conk which I don’t like as much.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Lectric Shave! Remember that? My dad used that with his Norelco, and he wore Hai Karate. But of course, he passed away in 1969.

Second look at Brut?

Ward Cleaver on January 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I switched from the Col. to Proraso.

Clubman Bay Rum for the aftershave.

Murphy9 on January 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Because, trust me, pajama boy is the target audience for Old Spice.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Why? Because “real” men wear Hai Karate or Brute? No, real men ware Axe.

I use Dove after shave balm for after I scrape the hair off. It helps with razor burn and smells kind of funky.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I switched from the Col. to Proraso.

Clubman Bay Rum for the aftershave.

Murphy9 on January 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I’ve been thinking of trying out Proraso. My son just picked up a new one he likes a lot. We both use a shavette and I found I like Dorco blades. My son likes Feather blades with his. I forgot the name of the soap he just got so I’ll have to ask next time I see him.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Second look at Brut?

Ward Cleaver on January 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Or Gray Flannel!

I never got the point of Lectric Shave. It was/is a mix of alcohol and oil that really does nothing but clog up your electric razor.

But I guess it proves just how metrosexual manhood has become that we laugh at the “classic” products.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Gee and here I thought that Old Spice was just to prevent the funk for a few hours.

Who knew that I was making a profound social statement by wearing Old Spice vs. Axe or whatever.

Although, strangely, I suddenly feel like watching an episode of Glee…

turfmann on January 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Back in 2008, with sales in the dumps, Old Spice went “wacky” with it’s ad campaigns…such as THIS one for Old Spice “Swagger”. In one year, Old Spice sales shot up 400%.

Then came the “Old Spice” guy of more recent campaigns, and again, sales went through the roof. This new campaign is just the next step…these ads work like crazy. It’s just weird enough. And it will work. It costs money to make the ad, but it’s free for Old Spice when people send out their commercial video to everyone they know.

Big win for Old Spice.

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Nobody writes up freaky deaky analysis as does AP. Always makes me laugh!! Thanks Allah!!

Deano1952 on January 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Why? Because “real” men wear Hai Karate or Brute? No, real men ware Axe.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

“Men” are not the target demographic for AXE.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I like Shark and Feathers. I’m currently using up all my 7ams. They don’t hold an edge worth a crap.

Murphy9 on January 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I saw the ad with my son and daughter.
Creepy and weird, yes.
Then they talked about how much they liked Old Spice.
I think it is a success.

ORconservative on January 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Second look at Brut?

Ward Cleaver on January 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM

That reminded me of a 1970′s bottle of cologne that I found in my grandparents house years ago…brand new, as in never opened. It was called “Grass Oil” and I just went to get an image of it online, and I see this:

I threw the thing away when I moved to NY from Conn! Ugh!

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM

My wife and I watched it during the Bangels game. Looked at eachother afterwards. It was left silently at that.

Weird.

portlandon on January 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Although, strangely, I suddenly feel like watching an episode of Glee…

turfmann on January 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Yeah, LOL. I wonder why Madison Ave. doesn’t have an ad featuring the scent that say, a Navy SEAL, wears when storming some third world rat-hole looking for a terrorist leader.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Disturbing.

MJBrutus on January 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I think it’s a commentary on Jay Carney’s beard.

BKeyser on January 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Nope. I”ll take Isaiah Mustafas version any day.

HiJack on January 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Will Graham: Did you just smell me?
Dr. Hannibal Lecter: Difficult to avoid. I really must introduce you to a finer aftershave. That smells like something with a ship on the bottle.
Will Graham: Well, I keep getting it for Christmas.

Jocundus on January 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

The most disturbing points were the Mother who popped up out of the sand, and she had sand all over her lips and was still talking.

Second most disturbing was the last mom who slid across the floor and up onto the couch. She looked like John Travolta in drag.

portlandon on January 6, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I think it’s a commentary on Jay Carney’s beard.

BKeyser on January 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Oh please, Carney looks like an ungroomed homeless hipster. But I gotta say, I wouldn’t be surprised if his mom still hides behind his bedroom door.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM

We have a 14 year old son. He has no car, no money and guess who buys
his toiletries?

cynccook on January 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM

portlandon on January 6, 2014 at 5:21 PM

No, the most disturbing was the first. The one lurking behind her son’s door.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM

was it Old Spice that had the guy that looked like the most interesting man in the world walking along a painting in his study that must have been at least 20 paces long as he described how good he felt about his smell?

DanMan on January 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM

To my eye, it looks like moms are the audience. Right?

Do guys buy after shave?

I can’t remember ever buying any. Some woman (Mom, wife, daughter, etc.) always gave it to me as a gift.

faraway on January 6, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I want to thank all of you here. Two of us saw that ad and had no idea what it was for. However my comment was whatever it was I will never buy it. Now I know where not to spend my money.

CW20 on January 6, 2014 at 5:27 PM

i thought it was funny! why is this news? is it controversial or something?

thphilli on January 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Sachiko on January 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM

DanMan on January 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Wow, good memory! It’s this one:

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Live Now:

Yellen Vote:

Chad Pergram ‏@ChadPergram 5m

Senate begins confirmation vote on Janet Yellen to be Federal Reserve Board Chair.
====================

canopfor on January 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM

will get them as much action as Axe

Good luck with that.

Axe on January 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Isn’t laundry basket towing at any speed illegal,
or only certain States!!

canopfor on January 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM

that ad cost me a full tube of toothpaste (I threw-up in my mouth). Maybe OS and Crest can do a joint ad.

teejk on January 6, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I found it pretty funny

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on January 6, 2014 at 5:45 PM

************ SmellCome SCROTCHED *********************!!!

canopfor on January 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Anyway, I know, I know — any publicity is good publicity.

Actually, not so much. And I say this as a mother of one child, a son.

They grow up to be men, women! You owe it to your sons to have a strong father, as well as YOU being tough on your “little boy”.

ladyingray on January 6, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Isn’t laundry basket towing at any speed illegal,
or only certain States!!

canopfor on January 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Laundry baskets are OK…but hampers are a different story :)

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 5:48 PM

radjah shelduck on January 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

A related question: A lot of early 20-somethings are parents. If they’re still covered on their parents’ plans, are their kids (i.e. grandkids of the insured) covered as well? If so, which grandparents’ plan covers them? Maternal or paternal?

Arnold Yabenson on January 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Target audience: Pajama boy’s mom?

terryannonline on January 6, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Seriously??

Rio Linda Refugee on January 6, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I like Old Spice stick deodorant… the smell is understated, and not unpleasant (a hard mix to find anymore it seems). This Ad doesn’t change my opinion on that.

If they want to try the “body spray” market, more power to them. I won’t buy any of that regardless what advertising they use; so I’m clearly not their target audience.

gekkobear on January 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM

WOW who gives a sheet about a stupid commercial? Its only a “slow news day” because the bloggers on this site are too lazy I guess to create intelligent posts about the many different events occurring right now. Hot Air is becoming less and less relevant. It’s bad enough to see stupid NFL posts (steeler love notes), Walking Dead threads, or Movie reviews. But now we’re being told about…..commercials? Think I’m going to switch permanently to real clear world and real clear politics where I can at LEAST see some intelligent articles and get updates about whats actually happening in the world.

jephthah on January 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Arnold Yabenson on January 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Don’t be silly, there is a whole range of welfare programs for the kids starting with WIC and Medicaid.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Hoppe’s No. 9.

justltl on January 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Hey, hey, AP. Let’s not beat up on Meatloaf. I hated him before I started to love him. Never has a B-grade performer been so passionate about his craft!!

As for the commercial, THERE is B-grade marketing!

crankybutt on January 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM

It’s just a rebranding from the rugged silent pea-coated man’s man whom no one emulates anymore to a freaky adolescent kid who dreams of breaking with his mother and touching lots of girls even as he still lives in his boyhood bedroom and drives the family’s hand-me-down car.

It’s engagingly kooky to pajamaboys, and to the rest of us pathetic. Exactly how did it grab your attention so, Allah?

flicker on January 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Yeah, it’s aimed toward male teens, not so much as an alternative to Axe as much as it’s just trying to shake the image of old spice as your dad/grandpa’s aftershave. The ads are horrifically stupid, but then, i’m not the target demo.

clearbluesky on January 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM

jephthah on January 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM

My sentiments exactly. Hotair, is now my sixth check of the day.

flicker on January 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

jephthah on January 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM

To me, this was a little jape at helicopter moms. Not creepy at all.

charlesbird on January 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Fun commercial. Better than most shows by far.

Sherman1864 on January 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM

I personally use Hoppe’s #9.

SailorMark on January 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

But… it STILL smells like Old Spice…

Khun Joe on January 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Smell fugly, attract fugly girls….

hillsoftx on January 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM

How that flock of sheep working out for you stud?

Your Mamma loves me on January 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Canoe, canoe??

teacherman on January 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I think you are over thinking this. It is funny. It is very different than most of the stuff on air for the “awkward” age. The first time I saw it I laughed out loud. As I did when I first saw the “Did you know auctioneers make bad supermarket checkers” Geico ad. The producers are to be lauded.

delkman on January 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM

rbj on January 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I agree. I’ve used Old Spice ever since I needed aftershave, and I’m having second thoughts.

Kevin K. on January 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Oh my….That….was funny.

MaxSplinters on January 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM

justltl and SailorMark–good choice.

Kevin K. on January 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Personally, Old Spice reminds me of my dad. I use it myself on occasion (Yachting and such).
However, I’ve been waiting years decades for “New Spice”.

MaxSplinters on January 6, 2014 at 7:56 PM

That is a creepy (in a not good way) ad.

TfromV on January 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Deano1952 on January 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Exactly!

scalleywag on January 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM

jephthah on January 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Bye bye!

scalleywag on January 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM

…JugEars must wear Old Spice!

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 9:06 PM

SailorMark on January 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

…welcome back!

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I saw it during football yesterday and my seventeen month old baby turned and gave me the most hilarious face as if to say, “what the hell?” It was just a coincidence, but her face said it all.

gmbdds on January 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Loved the commercial. Thought it was creepy and hilarious at the same time. An insane combination really. I swear old spice has the best and most weird commercials. I encourage everyone to go to their YouTube page and check them out.

sadsushi on January 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Aiming at the helicopter parent demo, I guess.

crosspatch on January 7, 2014 at 12:34 AM

The mom in the hamper as the car sped away was worth the price of admission… And I agree with the two posts above. This was more a dig on the ‘copter moms who just don’t want their babies to grow up.

Based on the gals the kid was making time with, I’d say he’s doing just fine.

CaptFlood on January 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM

That’s the only one that I know I’ve seen before. It’s from a cartoon — Bugs Bunny, I think. (Maybe they’re all old-school cartoon related? I watched it without sound.)

Tanya on January 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM

It’s best for
One who hits
The bottle
To let another
Use the throttle.

Burma Shave Old Spice

Nomennovum on January 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Whatever Old Spice was aiming at, they missed.

I get that they feel the need to compete against products such as Axe, and that’s fine. They should have taken a cue from the “This is not your father’s Buick” approach. Just like you, the first time I saw this spot I got the impression that they were not focused on getting the guy’s attention, but the Mom’s. And yet, their method is insulting to mothers, with the stalker caricature, which made me consider that they really were after the young man.

Make the mothers homely, unsubtle, untalented, and cloying, because that’s exactly what every guy thinks of his Mom, right? If Old Spice can help get him away from that, it’s worth a try, even if it is the brand he only noticed on his gramps’ bathroom counter.

If the above is an accurate summary of their marketing plan for this spot (and presumably more like it), well, they will get the same thing from me as the slutty Carl’s Jr. ads. No business.

Also, “Smellcome”? Seriously, stupid is as stupid does.

Freelancer on January 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Because it’s called “old sweat”.

Who is John Galt on January 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM