BCS National Championship open thread: Florida State vs. Auburn

posted at 8:11 pm on January 6, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

Any takers? I’ve said in the past that, due to my general lack of knowledge, the only time I would wade into all of the football discussion that goes on around here is for the annual Army-Navy game that I hold so dearly in my heart, but I set a little goal for myself at the start of this autumn to conscientiously pay attention to college football and to better acquaint myself all of its rules, team, conferences, and all-around goings-on… and I am now just ever so slightly obsessed with my continuing education thereof. Ed and Jazz have had ya’ll covered for the countdown to the Super Bowl, so I thought I’d chime in the with an open thread for the last major college football event of the season: The BCS National Championship, baby.

The No. 1-ranked Florida State Seminoles are facing off with the No.2 Auburn Tigers at the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena, California in the Bowl Championship Series’ last title game before it switches to a playoff format next year. I don’t have any particular loyalties either way (I’m more of a Pac-12 gal myself), but I think I’ll be rooting for Auburn on this one. I like an underdog, via the AP:

The Seminoles (13-0) ripped through their schedule on the way to Pasadena, winning each game by at least 14 points behind Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston. …

The turnaround Tigers (12-1) are the most unlikely group ever to reach the BCS championship game. Auburn went from 3-9 last year to Southeastern Conference champions in their first season under coach Gus Malzahn. It was a wild ride. The Prayer at Jordan-Hare beat Georgia. The Kick-Six beat Alabama. Destiny? Fate? Luck? The Tigers don’t see it that way.

“Hey, I know we’re a team of hard work, I know that,” said tailback Tre Mason, a Heisman finalist who has run for 1,621 yards and 22 touchdowns for the No. 1 rushing offense in the country. “These guys put a lot of hard work in with me every day, blood, sweat and tears all year long.”

Auburn is the first team to reach the BCS championship game after having a losing season the previous season, and would become the first national champion to start the season unranked since BYU in 1984.

Kickoff at 8:30 PM eastern on ESPN. It’s goin’ down.

Comments

Yay, two teams I don’t really like playing the the National Championship just like most every other year as long as I can remember.

This is good practice for a politics blog. Go lesser evil! Umm… F..Au.. yeah Florida State, I guess.

Gingotts on January 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Auburn all the way baby!!

abobo on January 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM

FSU over Auburn 27-10

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM

How did the Packers so yesterday?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bishop on January 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Not a college football fan, but even less of a fan of FSU, so…go Auburn. I guess.

changer1701 on January 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I’d bet on FSU to win, but I’m rootin’ for Auburn.

listens2glenn on January 6, 2014 at 8:34 PM

SEC! Go Auburn. Gig’em!

txag92 on January 6, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I’m rooting for Auburn. Can’t stand that stupid Indian chant of Florida State fans.
Annoying.

fogw on January 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I’ve no dog in this hunt (growing up in the greater NY area, college sports, aside from the St. John’s Redmen in basketball, never made the sportscasts) but I’ll pick the Seminoles.

rbj on January 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I support the Southern team. ;0

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Annoying.

fogw on January 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Annoying? I’d call it racist!

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Video: Kickoff at the BCS title game in Pasadena, Calif., between Florida State and Auburn – Instagram’s labbcharles
see original on instagram.com
=============================

canopfor on January 6, 2014 at 8:53 PM

3m

Photo: Florida State and Auburn in the first quarter of the BCS title game – Instagram’s meffen
see original on instagram.com
=============================

canopfor on January 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM

…MICHIGAN STATE…
Go Green…Go White!

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Holy balls, what a punt.

listens2glenn on January 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM

FSU fans: Charlie Crist, Jeb Bush.

War Eagle!

kcewa on January 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM

At which time all you have to do is predict a Navy win and go on with life!

As for the BCS game, I really like Auburn but their fans tend to be obnoxious. But ESPN clearly wants Florida to win. So on balance I’m going with Auburn. Roll Tide! ;0

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Scorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

And Auburn goes up, 3 – 7

listens2glenn on January 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM

6m
Auburn scores first touchdown in BCS title game; leads Florida State 7-3 – @espn
read more on espn.go.com

canopfor on January 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Any Alabama fans rooting for Auburn this time around?

Thomas More on January 6, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I’ve said in the past that, due to my general lack of knowledge, the only time I would wade into all of the football discussion that goes on around here is for the annual Army-Navy game that I hold so dearly in my heart …..

Erika Johnsen on January 6, 2014 at 8:11 PM

That would explain your “general lack of knowledge.”

At which time all you have to do is predict a Navy win and go on with life!

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I’m gonna have to go with Happy Nomad on this one.

listens2glenn on January 6, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Meh. LUS won the Outback Bowl the other day, so I’m done.

Watching the replay of that Luck Bowl Saturday on NFL Network instead. They will be replaying the other 3 playoff games over the next few days, but 2 of them will be Tuesday afternoon, namely the Chargers-Bengals game followed by Saints-Eagles. GB-SF will be on Wednesday night.

Del Dolemonte on January 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Any Alabama fans rooting for Auburn this time around?

Thomas More on January 6, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I won’t go that far, but I wouldn’t mind seeing the state be home to the national champions for five years running.

rogerb on January 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Scorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre ! ! !

Auburn goes up 3 – 14

If this keeps up, I’m gonna lose my ‘hypothetical’ bet.

listens2glenn on January 6, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Is that quarterback still out of jail?

viking01 on January 6, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Erika, I hope I am not alone when I say you are welcome in any sports discussion. Besides some of most cherished sports memories are the non-monetary bets I have both won and lost with members of the opposite sex.

meci on January 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM

non-monetary bets I have both won and lost with members of the opposite sex.

meci on January 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM

???

kcewa on January 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM

rogerb on January 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Sorry for the whippin’ we put on you in the Sugar. That said, I hope it stays ‘in-state’ for fives years as well.

Thomas More on January 6, 2014 at 9:57 PM

non-monetary bets I have both won and lost with members of the opposite sex.

meci on January 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM

???

kcewa on January 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Yeah, that choice of words sure brought various questions to mind…

On the beach?
In a convertible?
A mile high?

viking01 on January 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM

FSU over Auburn 27-10

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I would never have guessed the first half would have ended like this.

Still a whole ‘nother half to play.

listens2glenn on January 6, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Since when has Nick Saban had a southern accent?

BuckeyeSam on January 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM

rogerb on January 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Thomas More on January 6, 2014 at 9:57 PM

When any decent team is on fire they’re hard to beat, and y’all were on fire.

I hate to admit it because I didn’t think Saban was that kind of coach (and Alabama isn’t that kind of program), but I think he was playing that game to help AJ’s stats for the draft. We win with our rushing game, and it didn’t look like that was what they were focused on.

Heck, Kenyan Drake didn’t even play.

rogerb on January 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Any Alabama fans rooting for Auburn this time around?

Thomas More on January 6, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Hell yeah! It’s not about a specific team, it’s about the SEC winning. And, Auburn won the SEC, the real National Championship.

TXUS on January 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM

BTW, Brent Mussberger s*cks.

BuckeyeSam on January 6, 2014 at 10:50 PM

FSU blew that 2 pts.

listens2glenn on January 6, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Whoa.

Jaibones on January 6, 2014 at 11:47 PM

We have a GAME … with just under two minutes to go . . . . .

listens2glenn on January 6, 2014 at 11:49 PM

How does the ref miss that horse collar tackle? WTF?

Jaibones on January 6, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Wow!

Jaibones on January 6, 2014 at 11:59 PM

TXUS on January 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM

[Insert obligatory SEC! SEC! SEC! chant here]

Oh wait!

blammm on January 7, 2014 at 12:08 AM

No matter who wins it is impossible say that either were better than MSU with the same record.

Conservative4Ever on January 7, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Good win, FSU, and good game, unranked SEC team.

rogerb on January 7, 2014 at 12:24 AM

How does the ref miss that horse collar tackle? WTF?

Jaibones on January 6, 2014 at 11:55 PM

They missed the one finger facemask too.

Auburn said they wanted FSU in the fourth quarter. 4th quarter was FSU 21, Auburn 10. The theory of be careful what you wish for.

It was an exciting game. Let’s get back to the NFL playoffs now!

MrKleenexMuscles on January 7, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Here in Tally, of course I have to say Go Noles!! What a game though, and Auburn outplayed us for a long (very nervous) part of the game. Amazing game, and congrats to Auburn for playing so well!

And things will be crazy here all night…

specialkayel on January 7, 2014 at 2:00 AM

They missed the one finger facemask too.

MrKleenexMuscles on January 7, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Yep, we were all yelling at the TV’s over that one and a couple first downs that they gave them, which were clearly not even close. Even though, damn good game!

specialkayel on January 7, 2014 at 2:02 AM

Annoying.

fogw on January 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Annoying? I’d call it racist!

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM

You might want to check with the Seminole Indian tribal leaders before you start your PC rant.

JohnFLob on January 7, 2014 at 3:35 AM

Well, it was a good game. Not real happy with the result, but you win some you lose some. And some times you just have to let the kids win. Keeps up their self-esteem. So, I guess it makes sense that an ACC team is allowed to hold without penalty when they play a big boy team. I mean, it’s only fair.

WarEagle01 on January 7, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Conservative4Ever on January 7, 2014 at 12:17 AM

FSU is undefeated……..

Bravesbill on January 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Thank God the Auburn luck ran out. Great year for them, and historic, given this was the first year in their history hat they had both Georgia and Alabama at home. And for some reason the ball takes crazy bounces for the home team there.

Their fan base is cultish, the Scientologists of college football. I suspect many of them are wondering why God didn’t intervene on their behalf yet again.

But maybe He did, to counter what the prince of darkness had done for them in November in the Georgia and Alabama games.

Congrats to FSU.

Anti-Statist on January 7, 2014 at 11:19 AM

The championship is still in the Southeast, and that’s all that matters.

Moesart on January 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I somehow think you’re not from Alabama – if you were, calling the Auburn fan base cultish would betray a lack of basic observational skills. My proof? Every other freaking thing in this state is houndstooth, paying homage to a man dead 30 YEARS. If you can find anything even remotely similar to that in any Auburn lore or fan adornment, we can talk about the cult thing.

jclittlep on January 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM