Video: Melissa Harris-Perry’s tearful apology to Romney and other adoptive families

posted at 11:31 am on January 4, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Melissa Harris-Perry started off her show on MSNBC this morning with an apology to Mitt Romney and his family for targeting his grandson Kieran for ridicule as a proxy for the GOP. Unlike her Twitter apology, with a self-referential hashtag, this apology took place on an equal platform with the insult — and got Harris-Perry emotional when also apologizing explicitly to families with trans-racial adoption:

Showing the photo in that context, that segment, was poor judgment. so without reservation or qualification, I apologize to the Romney family. Adults who enter into public life, implicitly consent to having less privacy, but their families, especially their children, should not be treated callously or thoughtlessly. My intention was not malicious, but I broke the ground rule that families are off-limits. For that I am sorry.

BuzzFeed’s Dorsey Shaw notes that Mitt Romney is scheduled to appear on Fox News Sunday, and suggests that he will respond to Harris-Perry at that time. I’d be surprised, though, if the normally-gracious Romney has anything more to say about it than an acceptance of this apology today. This is the kind of moment most people would do best to rise above, rather than slug it out with their families in the crossfire.

This seems much more genuine and sincere than the Twitter effort from Harris-Perry, and more appropriate. If Romney doesn’t want to keep this alive, I see no particular reason for anyone else to do so. That’s not to say that it should be forgotten entirely, especially in the context of MSNBC’s editorial choices of late, but it’s a good point for everyone to leave this specific incident in the rear-view mirror.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Take a vacation, MHP, mmmk?

22044 on January 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

apologies are well and good, its changes in behavior that reflect if the person was truly contrite.

rob verdi on January 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I’ll take that.

lostinjrz on January 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM

she’s lying to save her job. i’m surprised your so naive Ed.

renalin on January 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

The Romney family is free to forgive her.

As for Jeddite, no dice — that vile creature is who you are, Melitha Harrith-Perry.

Jeddite on January 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Melissa H-Tampon: “I’m sorry that I attacked your child.”

Akzed: “Not accepted, and what is your penance?”

Akzed on January 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I don’t care if she cries a river. She doesn’t mean it. Observe her normal behavior.

trapeze on January 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM

she’s lying to save her job. i’m surprised your so naive Ed.

renalin on January 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Her job’s not in any danger, nor should it be.

changer1701 on January 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

You KNOW she was taken to task in the principles office for it. The crocodile tears were just so she could keep her crap going til the next slur.

faol on January 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

When asked, Romney should respond, “Who’s Melissa Harris-Perry?”

And after Wallace digs further, Romney should say, “Chris, you’re describing the ridicule of one of my son’s children. If Melissa Harris-Perry feels the need to apologize, she needs to pick up the phone or meet with my son and his wife and so. This is one of the country’s finest public policy Sunday shows, and I’m not here to discuss the an insignificant MSNBC show hosted by a woman of no consequence to me and my family.”

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

done….

its just infuriating that they continue to do this to the folks on the right

cmsinaz on January 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I have no doubt that she is sincerely sorry, right up until the next time she makes some lousy stupid comment

lahlon on January 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM

And remember…this wasn’t an off-the-cuff comment. This was planned. It was designed to be part of the show. Producers were involved in this.

No. A stupid apology isn’t enough.

trapeze on January 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Now given my own family history

Enough. Enough already.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I stopped at the joint last name and hipster glasses…

hillsoftx on January 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

This is not an apology. She can’t take her heart felt words back!
The only reason she might have a tear is because some of her buddies, who are black, who are black and married to white counter parts with biracial offspring, or who are white with adopted black babies, are coming down on her.
She is a racist in the most awful terms. She is biracial and is self hating mixed breed! Not black, not white, and she hates being who she is. I’ll bet she hates the two people who made her that way.
She is a nasty angry woman who’s words were passionately heart felt and she can’t take them back with her so called apologies1
She needs to shut up and see a shrink!
Then she needs to apologize to her parents!

Delsa on January 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Maybe, but did the camera shot show the gun that was pointed at her head as she read the monitor?

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

and think of the 24/7 outrage from the lefties if someone on the right says something not even close to what they said…

cmsinaz on January 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

its just infuriating that they continue to do this to the folks on the right

cmsinaz on January 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Is it just me, or does anyone else sense that the Right so much more humble, soul-searching, and working towards greater mutual understanding than the Left is when the shoe is on the other foot?

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

“seems much more genuine and sincere”

Sucker.

“If Romney doesn’t want to keep this alive, I see no particular reason for anyone else to do so. ”

BS.

nottakingsides on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

A personal apology is in order.

This is a hateful Liberal attempting to save face.

kingsjester on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Ed, I bet most commenters on this site won’t share that view…they smell blood

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Now THAT was an apology.

Some may recall that I totally blew a gasket over this. I said I’d never been madder over anything. I believe her, and I accept the apology.

Alana on January 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I stopped at the joint last name and hipster glasses…

hillsoftx on January 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Don’t forget the cornrows, because although she’s biracial, she’s really a down-with-the-cause sistuh.

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

#

Ben Hur on January 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Ed, I bet most commenters on this site won’t share that view…they smell blood

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Got that right. I’m fed up with the lefty hate. Choke on it.

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

As a Father of a “trans-racial adoption” family, (whatever the Hell that silly, leftist, politically-forced-correct term means) let me say;

Your tears of apology mean sh*t to me, you shrill, lisping, leftist, psychotic little bag of hate. You want to save face, and your ass, nothing more. Do the world a favor; Go away. Forever.

The Romney family can forgive you all they want. I know who you are. And you are evil.

I would rather you had apologized for implying that my Daughter belongs to the State. But that doesn’t seem to bother you much.

Evil.

a5minmajor on January 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

No dice, “I feel bad for what I said/did,” is only the first part of repentance. The second is atonement. An actual act, not words.
When I see some actual act from her to express her remorse, then I’ll believe she is penitent, and worth of redemption.
Until then, she is a vile racist who was so blinded by her hatred of Republicans that she tried to make fun of a child on national television, and should be shunned and driven out of society.

LincolntheHun on January 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

People on the left were critical of this episode. If she could have gotten away with her vileness, I don’t believe she would be apologizing.

birdwatcher on January 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I never believe anything a liberal pundit says because they HATE conservatives almost as much as they hate freedom. No matter what she says, she still believes her first opinion, and still hates the Romney’s and their conservatism.

BoomJunkie on January 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM

The only thing she is sorry for is that she revealed too much of her heart on TV.
Her panel that day were obviously very comfortable picking on the Romneys for no other reason than race baiting.

NeoKong on January 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

yepper

cmsinaz on January 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Ed, I bet most commenters on this site won’t share that view…they smell blood

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

And I’d be willing to bet whatever you want to bet that most commenters here could care less about this nit wit mhp.

VegasRick on January 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Ed, I bet most commenters on this site won’t share that view…they smell blood

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

No; Hate begets Hate. And the left started it. Reap it, scumbags.

a5minmajor on January 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Ed, I bet most commenters on this site won’t share that view…they smell blood

nonintelligent on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Shooting your mouth off again, I see.

Now excuse me, I’m going hunting with my flare gun. Solely designed to kill things!

Del Dolemonte on January 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Of course Mitt will forgive her. He is a mensch.

As for MHP, her apology seems sincere IMHO. I don’t like her and never will but I wouldn’t hold this against her in the future.

MJBrutus on January 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Why do these fools at MSNBC do this? They’ve got too much time on their hands. Romney shouldn’t even be discussed at this point. He’s old news and it’s just as well he’s not president. He’d be doing his best to rescue Obamacare now.

rickv404 on January 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Ed, I bet most commenters on this site won’t share that view…they smell blood

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Like the Liberals are so genteel, respectful, and forgiving?

Ask the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Puhleeze.

kingsjester on January 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM

birdwatcher on January 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

which happens 99.9% of the time…

cmsinaz on January 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Bah! Leftists always throw this crap out there, get slapped around for it, mumble a few words of insincere apology, and then chirp “Ok, let’s move on, shall we?” while wearing a stupid shiite-eating grin.

Then it happens again. And again. And again.

Make them eat it every time it happens, turning the other cheek in this war will lose you your nation.

Bishop on January 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM

meh… glasses don’t help. She’s still the Borg Queen.

itsacookbook on January 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Ok.

Time will tell if it was a genuine apology that results in some self-reflection and changes in attitude/behavior.

Or not.

Midas on January 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM

“I intended to say positive and celebratory things about it”

Her fake apology began with an outright lie.

nottakingsides on January 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Ed, I bet most commenters on this site won’t share that view…they smell blood

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I smelled something foul, but not blood.

Then saw that you were here, so that explains the smell.

Midas on January 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Before this segment and its aftermath, how many people knew one of Romney’s sons had adopted this black boy?

Now that he’s in the public eye, liberals will hound this kid to his dying days.

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM

How soon until she says something else equally disgusting?

birdwatcher on January 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM

When asked, Romney should respond, “Who’s Melissa Harris-Perry?”

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Bravo! Thread Winner! Well done Sam.

Rovin on January 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Who buys ad time on her show?

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

OK, that sounds like a real apology. But it doesn’t sounds like she’s had a change of heart, she still doesn’t recognize what snickering at a conservative multi-racial family reveals about her own prejudices and assumptions. She’s just saying she was impolite, not that she was wrong.

But asking a liberal to contemplate their own nature is asking too much, I suppose. If they could do that, they wouldn’t be liberals.

Socratease on January 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I believe her, and I accept the apology.
Alana on January 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Uh, I don’t see how you could accept it since your family was not the one she attacked.

Akzed on January 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Tolerant high-IQ Democrat posting at BuzzFeed sez:

Good for her. Melissa Harris-Perry understands that while she has the right to say what she wants, said right doesn’t mean she’s immune to criticism. She owned up like an adult and apologized.

I would like to see people like Phil Robertson do the same, but unfortunately their words do not come from a place of comedy, rather a place of illogical, deep-rooted hatred.

And another, from another O’bama Cultist:

That, my friends, is what an apology looks, and sounds like

And from a O’Female in academe:

Very nice of her but knowing MSNBC she’ll still get her ass canned. That’s the way things, and heads, roll at MSNBC. No apology is good enough, and the Repugs win again. She’ll be gone soon. Too bad.

But some sanity does exist in the BuzzFeed comments:

She read that script very well, good for her. I just wonder who sliced the onion and rolled it out onto the set?

A+

Del Dolemonte on January 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Tell Palin’s Children are off limits to the left.

Grunt on January 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Screw her.

Warner Todd Huston on January 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Rovin on January 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Thanks, though I was hasty in pushing “Submit Comment.” I see two writing mistakes. Sorry, Hot Airers, you deserve greater attention to detail.

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Seemed like a sincere apology — Romney, I’m sure, will be gracious and accept it and move on.

Conservchik on January 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM

An apology does not erase what is in her heart. And in most lib’s hearts.

Not accepted.

Tsar of Earth on January 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM

“My intention was not malicious…”

That was her EXACT intention. Malice was the whole point of it.

Comcast needs to get in there and do a complete overhaul at MSNBC. They’re just as complicit at this point as any of those yahoos on the air because they’ve done nothing to stop it.

Murf76 on January 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Like the Liberals are so genteel, respectful, and forgiving?

Ask the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Puhleeze.

kingsjester on January 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM

why does it matter how liberals would react?

Aren’t conservatives supposedly Christians? *rolls eyes*

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Well. Good for her. I suspect the emotion was real and hope she learned something from it.

BKeyser on January 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Apology accepted.

ted c on January 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Good for her.

Maybe this is the beginning of wisdom. You know, teenagers love snark until they find out how hurtful it really is. Maybe she will mature into an adult now.

PattyJ on January 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Apology accepted. Now, go make me a sammich.

ted c on January 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM

FIFY?

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM

PattyJ on January 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I can tell where the smart money is, wrt that proposition :-)

MJBrutus on January 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM

MSNBC and the White House, have one thing in common, there are no adults there. Whoever allowed her segment to go on the air, at MSNBC, should have their common sense checked. In the White House, those who allowed Obama to go out and lie about the ACA, should have their heads examined.

Once you lose your credibility, what do you have left? This should be the major question at MSNBC and the White House.

bflat879 on January 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Ed, I bet most commenters on this site won’t share that view…they smell blood

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Nah, that’s just her tampon earrings.

Marcus on January 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM

This is like the gun that apologizes for firing bullets.

How she acted that day and the words and spirit in which she delivered them were completely in keeping with her MO. This is who she is, and this is what she does.

turfmann on January 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Romney could use the opportunity to highlight the hypocrisy of the left; imposing standards on conservatives they feel free to violate themselves. But, as others have said, he’ll probably just be gracious and move on.

And that’s a problem in general. The left pushes and pushes, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but they keep pushing. I don’t see many conservatives in the public eye doing the same.

Fenris on January 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM

What would YOU know about conservatives Or christians, pajama boy?

BeachBum on January 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM

“My intention was not malicious…”

Yeah, it’s not like you brought on comedians to create a caption for the Romney family portrait or anything.

GOPRanknFile on January 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM

why does it matter how liberals would react?

Aren’t conservatives supposedly Christians? *rolls eyes*

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Why, yes, most of us are.

However, sometimes, following Christ means overturning tables, picking up a bullwhip, and chasing the money lenders out of the temple.

Surely you’ve heard, “Speak the truth and shame the Devil?”

kingsjester on January 4, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Thank God she didn’t thoughtfully mention any personal and deeply held religious beliefs that she shares with a vast percentage of the nation.

(And our own pre-2012-reelection president.)

rogerb on January 4, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Say, when does Obama weigh in to say that if he had a son, he’d look like Romney’s grandson?

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM

rogerb on January 4, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Amen.

kingsjester on January 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Aren’t conservatives supposedly Christians? That’s what Rachel Maddcow told me. *rolls eyes*

nonintelligent on January 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM

bflat879 on January 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM

All that’s left then is raw power. You’ve cut your ability to persuade others off at the knees.

/In Washington, “trust is the coin of the realm” — George P Shultz, former Sec of State.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Aren’t conservatives supposedly Christians? *rolls eyes*

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Aren’t liberals supposedly against prejudicial stereotyping? *rolls eyes*

Midas on January 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM

What would YOU know about conservatives Or christians, pajama boy?

BeachBum on January 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I know quite a bit about conservatives, considering how long I’ve been on this site

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Good for her for doing this. The original act was stupid, but I think she’s seeking forgiveness here for real. I, for one, am not going to question what certainly appears to be a serious apology.

dpduq on January 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM

It is hard to take these people seriously.

crosshugger on January 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Ed, I bet most commenters on this site won’t share that view…they smell blood

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Nah, that’s just her tampon earrings.

Marcus on January 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Midas on January 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM

No one died. So I fully expect a “MHP acted stupidly” from BHO.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Surely you’ve heard, “Speak the truth and shame the Devil?”

kingsjester on January 4, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I remember that dood jesus said to ‘turn the other cheek’

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

rob verdi on January 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

This. However, this vile person will continue hating on air for the rest of her career. Leftists are haters and haters got to hate. As said up thread this had lots of fingers in the pie to due harm to the Romney family and the republican party. I approve of the backlash against the evil leftists at every turn. Expose the roaches to light.

jukin3 on January 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Her job’s not in any danger, nor should it be.

changer1701 on January 4, 2014 at 11:43 A

So true. Her initial comments fit the thinking at her place of employment perfectly and she should get a raise.

Meremortal on January 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

It was meant to be malicious. Forgive but don’t forget when she goes back to doing the same thing next week.

Stay warm my friends.

tomas on January 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

What would YOU know about conservatives Or christians, pajama boy?

BeachBum on January 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I know quite a bit about conservatives, considering how long I’ve been making a fool out of myself on this site

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Fixed.

You also assured us last week that the Left would also heavily criticize MHP for her on-air racism. That never happened either.

F-

Del Dolemonte on January 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Murf76 on January 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM

don’t hold your breath

Aren’t liberals supposedly against prejudicial stereotyping? *rolls eyes*

Midas on January 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM

from the party who is supposed to promote ‘tolerance’LOL

cmsinaz on January 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM

When are these Leftist journalists going to apologize for all the blatant lies that they tell on a daily basis, not just being mean to a kid.

When are they going to apologize for all their ‘Arab Spring’ nonsense. Never.

WhatSlushfund on January 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I don’t always forget to finish my one-liners, but when I do

Midas on January 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

MHP and that Georgetown clown are two arguments for shutting down all multicultural (or whatever) studies programs at colleges nationwide. At public colleges, they’re a waste of taxpayer money. At private colleges, they’re a waste of donor money. And, in either case, they’re a waste of tuition money.

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

She’s not sorry. She’s sorry her little skit didn’t go over well, unexpectedly, because she lives in such a hate filled bubble that she could imagine it not going over well.

And the real issue, is that she exposed how she really feels, what she really thinks, in her little skit.

“Liberalism”, it’s ugly.

KMC1 on January 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Harris-Perry’s tearful apology…

No. Do not make an apology, Harris-Perry.

Instead, make an admission.

Admit that you are a hater.

Go on, do it. Confess that you are driven by seething, irrational hate.

Don’t have the guts to admit it? Here, I’ll do it for you:

“Hi, I’m Melissa Harris-Perry. I am a hater.

“Worse, I’m a self-loathing hater. I was raised by white Mormons, just like Mitt Romney’s grandchild.”

“My hate is so pervasive and encompassing that I realize now that I have reached the point of needing professional help in dealing with it.

“I wish I could admit that conservatives are decent, kind, loving people. But right now, without benefit of having had professional help, I cannot make such an admission. I am far too sick due to my hate.

“But there is hope for me. I believe that hate makes me unfit to hold the position of public trust that I now occupy. Therefore, I, Melissa Harris-Perry, will voluntarily quit my job, retire from public view, and enter a convent, where I will live out the remainder of my years in contemplative penitence and do my best to stop being a hater.”

FlameWarrior on January 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Aren’t conservatives supposedly Christian? Yes, many are. That is why the leadership on the left is trying to force Christians to support abortion. That is just the way the left rolls.

birdwatcher on January 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM

F-

Del Dolemonte on January 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I never assured any such thing

this thread is the first time I’ve commented on MHP

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Should we expect a WH summit at which MHP and Romney’s son and daughter-in-law wear tampon earrings?

BuckeyeSam on January 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Stop it with the prefix “trans” already.

We get it. You’re “creating language” as a way to normalize transsexualism.

Good gawd, I’ve been onto this tactic since ’09.

———————————————————————-

As for Mitt, he’ll accept the apology.

But he better nail MSNBC. He better point out how many people this had to get through.

budfox on January 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM

My intention was not malicious

ma·li·cious
məˈliSHəs/
adjective
adjective: malicious

1. characterized by malice; intending or intended to do harm.

As you can see, Comrade Harris-Perry, it most certainly was malicious, whatever in the world was your intention if it was not to do harm in some way to a person you disagree with politically? And, until you admit it you haven’t apologized for anything.

(Parenthetically, no, this conservative, at least, “won’t share that view” until she does admit it.)

Knott Buyinit on January 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I am sorry my only choice is Comcast! I’d dump them in a nanosecond!

Delsa on January 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I remember that dood jesus said to ‘turn the other cheek’

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

That’s what you get for listening to Jesse Jackson, instead of reading The Book.

kingsjester on January 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

nice shot at a certain half-term governor….

DBear on January 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM