Video: Melissa Harris-Perry’s tearful apology to Romney and other adoptive families

posted at 11:31 am on January 4, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Melissa Harris-Perry started off her show on MSNBC this morning with an apology to Mitt Romney and his family for targeting his grandson Kieran for ridicule as a proxy for the GOP. Unlike her Twitter apology, with a self-referential hashtag, this apology took place on an equal platform with the insult — and got Harris-Perry emotional when also apologizing explicitly to families with trans-racial adoption:

Showing the photo in that context, that segment, was poor judgment. so without reservation or qualification, I apologize to the Romney family. Adults who enter into public life, implicitly consent to having less privacy, but their families, especially their children, should not be treated callously or thoughtlessly. My intention was not malicious, but I broke the ground rule that families are off-limits. For that I am sorry.

BuzzFeed’s Dorsey Shaw notes that Mitt Romney is scheduled to appear on Fox News Sunday, and suggests that he will respond to Harris-Perry at that time. I’d be surprised, though, if the normally-gracious Romney has anything more to say about it than an acceptance of this apology today. This is the kind of moment most people would do best to rise above, rather than slug it out with their families in the crossfire.

This seems much more genuine and sincere than the Twitter effort from Harris-Perry, and more appropriate. If Romney doesn’t want to keep this alive, I see no particular reason for anyone else to do so. That’s not to say that it should be forgotten entirely, especially in the context of MSNBC’s editorial choices of late, but it’s a good point for everyone to leave this specific incident in the rear-view mirror.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

should I be flattered that people think I’m AP? I’ve also heard someone say I’m ace…funny since I used to post on AoS and was banned from there

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Yeesh. It would be highly unlikely that anyone thinks you’re AP. Maybe someone brought in to troll and up the hit count?

It’s truly sad that AoS has a lower troll tolerance than here, but I guess that’s what happens when the bean counters take over. Hits! Hits! Hits!

kim roy on January 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Ah yes. The myth of Barack Obama’s evocative speech… Yet he finds himself out of his depth without a teleprompter.

Never mind the Media pushing the notion that giving a good speech was/is some sort of magical rhetorical power which can heal all ills. Out of everything these last few years – This idea I think causes more harm than good.

Any sane person should run far away the next time elites in either party get all gooey over a politicians magic “ocean healing” rhetoric. What it really means is, the person is dumb as a brick.

Sharr on January 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM

I hope she was wearing her famous Tampax™ earrings to sop up the tears.

hepcat on January 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Is it just me, or do all leftists have misshapen heads?

Lanceman on January 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM

“I don’t wanna join Bashir and Baldwin washing shill Angria Mitchell’s car!”, she whined.

viking01 on January 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Given your propensity to kneel and bob at the altar of Barry, Nonpartisan, I’m not surprised tue Ace banned you from the hoard. Ace grow his blog specifically by not tolerating types like you to generate hits. I rarely comment here anymore because of the fact that Ed, AP and Salem tolerate the Sophomoric (look it up) screeds your type puts up in order to generate hits. The Morons(tm) at Ace’s place must have eaten you for a pre breakfast snack, given the content of your posts here.

ManWithNoParty on January 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Is it just me, or do all leftists have misshapen heads?

Lanceman on January 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM

It’s the vacuum between the typical Lefty’s temples which gives their noggins at eye level those distinctive hourglass contours.

viking01 on January 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM

No tampons? Fake apology.

Mason on January 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM

ManWithNoParty on January 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Hmm. Interesting. Perhaps nonparisian is a group of people rather than just one.
Heh. But I still suspect Allah.
And the folks at Reason would have seen through it long ago and quit engaging it unlike the folks here.
Like I’ve said many times, its ‘rat talking points are too perfect. Even more perfect (verbatim) than PMSNBC. And its timing is too perfect.

Lanceman on January 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Yes, but don’t bother. You are an imbecile by any reasonable comparison.

Jaibones on January 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM

ManWithNoParty on January 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

And I agree with you on the sophomoricity (I just made that word up).
There is a preponderance of fools already here that seem to like to hear themselves talk. People who have 6 or 7 comments in a row, quote themselves, etc.
It’s really become tedious here. The only thing that keeps me is the format. Ace’s format blows compared to HA. In fact, everyone’s format blows compared to here.

Lanceman on January 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Sharr on January 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM

True. Welcome to the Commentariat.

Jaibones on January 4, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I was a supporter of Romney, I like Chris Christie and I am impressed by Ted Cruz

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Congratulations!! LOL!!
Now that’s what I call trolling.

Lol again.

S. D. on January 4, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Sharr on January 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM

True. Welcome to the Commentariat.

Jaibones on January 4, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Thanks, Jaibones. Been here awhile on and off. Just been lurking for a bit now. Sometimes, its better for the blood pressure…

Sharr on January 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Lanceman on January 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Agreed on the formatting of comments section, but the sheer stupidity that is tolerated here vs. Ace’s place is astounding. I’d rather spend the scrolling through an entire thread’s worth of comments that read some of the LIV/LIB trollers here.

ManWithNoParty on January 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM

talk about a lame apology to save her job

the show knew about the photo and planned nasty comments using it.

this is why msnbc is the show of hate and lies and cult worship of Obama.

they are not journalist, they are the propaganda arm of the DNC

sniffles1999 on January 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I hope she was wearing her famous Tampax™ earrings to sop up the tears.

hepcat on January 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM

…looking at the video…it looks like she has JugEar’s ba11s…hanging by some little chains!

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

libfreeordie on January 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I’m not a fellow ‘lib troll’, and I’d appreciate it if you don’t associate with me as such in the future

nonpartisan on January 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM

…but black bigoted butt buddies… would be beautiful… then?

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Given the O’Barky Regime appointees track record, scurrilous nature and abysmal malice / incompetence saying someone “Went to Harvard” should be fighting words.

viking01 on January 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Sometimes, its better for the blood pressure…

Sharr on January 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM

But sometimes, lipping off can be good for the (internal) constitution.

Jaibones on January 4, 2014 at 11:06 PM

If I was her boss I would have fired her after the tampon earrings. How anyone who runs a corporation permitted an employee to put tampons on is beyond me. This woman has demonstrated several times that she can not be trusted to be on a national stage without embarrassing the parent organization. Of course were talking msnbc and their level of embarrassment knows no bottom.

jaywemm on January 4, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I hate to call out a fellow lib troll….but I don’t think nonpartisan went to Harvard… libfreeordie on January 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM

He’s a communist.

He’s incapable of rational thought.

He doesn’t believe a thing he says.

Why, I think it’s obvious that he’s a Harvard man.

Akzed on January 4, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Boo hoo! Anyone who believes this liberal b*tch’s apology is the same kind of fool who would believe Al Gore! What a bunch of crap.

Hobbes on January 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM

One last observation. The woman in question is very visibly and undeniably virtually white. She is a fake Black woman, kind of like that well known Indian, Senator Warren. Self hatred? Sad.

Mason on January 4, 2014 at 11:53 PM

I re-watched the original video where she attacked a small child for being a part of a famous family. Then I watched her apology where she was visibly upset and cried.

Do I think she is sincere in her apology to the Romney’s over her remarks?

Not at all. She is full of $#!t.

The reason she cried was because she was having to retract something she said to her audience not because she was being contrite. She cried because she did not want to do it and had because someone at the network told her to.

mechkiller_k on January 5, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I don’t like being characterized as liberal…as that is inaccurate. While the majority of my posts tend to come from my liberal side (see my preference to challenge group think), I hold many conservative beliefs that I have ennumerated on more than one occasion

nonintelligent on January 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Hi, Walter!

Del Dolemonte on January 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM

ManWithNoParty on January 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Unmercifully and a wonderful time was had by all. He/She/It will be smarting for a long time.

98ZJUSMC on January 5, 2014 at 1:23 AM

I’ve also heard someone say I’m ace…

No, you sockpuppeted Ace and were obliterated.

98ZJUSMC on January 5, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Well, duh…..

98ZJUSMC on January 5, 2014 at 1:27 AM

I’m so utterly sick of this stupid cow. NBC should send her to KMOT in Minot, ND and let her do some stand-ups on the coldest, snowiest corner they can find. Then, when she thinks she can act like a decent human being, let her come inside and work in the Traffic Department for a while. But, don’t ever let her back on the air.

Mr. Grump on January 5, 2014 at 6:31 AM

That’s the first time that I’ve ever seen/heard a sincere apology from a liberal. Maybe there’s hope for some of them. No apology should have to be scrutinized. Otherwise, no apology would ever be sincere.

cajunpatriot on January 5, 2014 at 7:24 AM

She should have taken her tampax out and put it in her mouth.

tmgrant on January 5, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I’ve been out of the net a while. But when did we start thinking nincompartisan was Allahpundit?

hawkdriver on January 5, 2014 at 8:31 AM

cajunpatriot on January 5, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Never worked in PR, huh?

Was that sincerity? Or fear of losing her gig? She and her crew had to be told by someone else at a later time that what they had done was in bad taste. They learned from the Bashir incident that the slow-ratchet-series-apology method can result in loss of employment. They opted for the full mea culpa, hoping it would look good on the tube on Sunday. The talking heads will accept the apology for the Romneys and the nation, and another liberal gets to continue spewing nonsense. Disaster averted!

I see you bought it, so it was probably the best way to go.

ROCnPhilly on January 5, 2014 at 8:52 AM

More than anything, this incident should serve to display the stark differences between liberal Democrats and Republicans.

Ultimately, is is Republicans who believe in human compassion, caring and forgiveness.

It is the loudest voices coming from Democrats who scream obscenities and make ad nauseum pathos pleas. They seek nothing short of personal destruction and false labeling of opponents- no matter what the cost.

Can you forgive someone who has been blatantly dishonest in their continuous quest to demonize others simply because their political view are different? Depending upon whether it is sincere contrition and causes them to reflect entirely on their actions- yes.

But forgiveness should not be mistaken for trust or acceptance.

Marcus Traianus on January 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Let’s assume the intent as interpreted by most lefty blogs: the segment was meant to define those who oppose Leftism as racist Aryans, who think diversity is Jaguars in the country club parking lot in both manual and automatic transmissions. Mocking the photo covered both the “mock the iconic Republican” and the “mock the general conservative outlook/m.o.” checkboxes.

In order to keep from having to apologize to half the country for calling them racist bigots, she focuses on the artificially imposed “plight” of adopting babies with different skin color. Not that is isn’t confusing or challenging to do so or be a child in a family that looks different, but notice the focus: still on race, are we?

No apology to the nation for accusing them of excluding people of color on purpose from their political events and gatherings. That is still hanging out there, you vicious pig, #MHPApology #MHPStrawman.

winoceros on January 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM

And I still want to know why, if it’s a boy, it’s dressed in pink for this photo.

Maybe secretly she was mocking his gender identification.

winoceros on January 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Needs a cardboard sign written in crayon:

“Will cry for food.”

NoPain on January 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Here is the most important part of this incident for Republicans.

View this incident to the prism of what is and what could have been. Witness the wreckage of Barack Obama’s presidency. reflect on not only what he has did and what he has said.

Compare that to what could have been. Recall what was said about Mitt Romney. All the lies and memes Democrats conjured up because ultimately this was about politics- not what was best for our country. Look at how little Mr. Romney has changed both in personal character and convictions. He is nothing what the detractors said he was, or would be.

We can and will disagree as Republicans on presidential candidates. That is a healthy discussion insofar as it is factual, substantive and not debased by the sport-politic or personal predilections misguided by some ethereal standard or pundits words.

But remember the cost of our disunity is high, and paid by the nation. Not just that, but as one can see from this incident the mere thought that Republicans represent a true vision, one based on thoughtful views, compassion and the best interests of our country is too high a price for Democrats to bear.

If this incident reveals anything, it is that our conflicts and divisions as a party are our greatest weakness. And ones that Democrats seek to maintain by promoting falsehoods- no matter who our candidate is or ultimately what the cost.

Marcus Traianus on January 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Oink, oink, she’s still a low class pig.

arand on January 5, 2014 at 10:58 AM

But when did we start thinking nincompartisan was Allahpundit?

hawkdriver on January 5, 2014 at 8:31 AM

We did not. The ol’ Lanceman believed it to be. But after hearing it’s been in other places, I tend to think it’s several people rather than just one.

However, Allah’s a pretty smart and witty dude and taking on lessers just to f*ck with them and drive traffic seemed like something he’d do.

Remember how many fools like to engage his QOTDs as if he wrote the words rather than provide the sarcasm and the link. Or the quotes from the link as his words.

Lanceman on January 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Good to see you, hawkdriver. Hope you’re well.

I’m one of those who suspects a very clever con, but I don’t think it’s AP (Bishop is high in the running). I’m sure it’s a a parody, though. I’d suspected it already, but this was probably what put it over the edge for me. Even more than the Harvard law claim.

It’s why you won’t see me mocking him like the actual true believers.

rogerb on January 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM

rogerb on January 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM

LOL. Yep, that really is over the top, even for a Harvard grad.

fadetogray on January 5, 2014 at 1:13 PM

rogerb on January 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM

He’s the ‘best’ troll on HA, a perfect parody of a leftist, like the owner of the Cube site, where they impersonate the commies, the Russian dude.

All you have to follow is the time-line when AP is awake/works. You’ll figure it out, easily.

AP is an actual lawyer and owns blogging…is also bored by now, after all the years…is also a very cynical RINO, one who love/hates his clientele.

It’s all entertaining and good for HA business.

Schadenfreude on January 5, 2014 at 1:19 PM

One more thing, roberb – nonpartisan, who in character is more partisan than partisanship itself, hardly ever replies to the regulars. It amuses itself with the game, and laughs its azz off.

It’s impervious to mockery and insults, facts and etc. It also doesn’t care about the unit, as Del says, or the cause of leftism.

Schadenfreude on January 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM

rogerb on January 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Schadenfreude on January 5, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Which is why it’s kind of a fridge too far to believe it’s more than one person sometimes. Unless all the people behind it have a lengthly sheet of talking points, it’s very hard for multiple people to sound like one person. Witness libdie. Quite obviously more than one person. One is reasonable at times, the other is a petulant child.

It does take fortitude to refrain from engaging it. Many here do not have it. I confess to having the urge to answer it back once in a while.

Lanceman on January 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM

This woman whose main trade is Race, has the threat of losing her livelihood of trading in Race because of her being a racist.

Those tears are not for Romney or because of her deep regret.

Those tears are from the thought of her losing her MSNBC show after having worked so many years building up a career of Race politics.

portlandon on January 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Lanceman on January 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Not a matter of fortitude, or of ‘engaging’ them…it’s a matter of setting the records straight, with facts, or with snark/mockery, for the HA history. I don’t care if they internalize the facts. I care that the facts be documented, for others who read, and to complement the derelict media.

Schadenfreude on January 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Schadenfreude on January 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I get it.

But even a Martian reading HA for the first time understands the complete idiocy of its statements that even it doesn’t believe.

I object to thread derailments over a non-person.

Lanceman on January 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Saying you’re nonpartisan is like saying you’re stylish — if you have to say it, you aren’t.

clayj on January 5, 2014 at 3:05 PM

In other words:

Don’t you be lettin’ no richass crackah mofo pilfer a black baby boy from the Commune-ity ‘coz that would be a form of meta-Slavery!”

Let’s be honest, you lying sister of the louche Liar In Chief.

profitsbeard on January 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Affirmative action clearly isn’t working. Maybe democrats should lower standards even further for people based on their appearance.

Murphy9 on January 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I am rogerb, I hope you are also.

Lanceman, I think nonpartisan is a real troll. I think it is just “that” stupid.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM

hawkdriver on January 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Every troll is a real troll. If one goes Bishing and another reacts, that’s a troll post. Even though we call it Bishing.

But do I think nonparisian is serious troll in-the-moment? Only as far as whoever it is wants a reaction period. Which is why I don’t react to it. Libdie, verbaldouche and urbane effitist actually try to attempt to reason. It’s never just talking points with them.

Lanceman on January 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I am woman, hear me roar ….until I turn on the water.

StevC on January 6, 2014 at 1:53 PM