Eleven state AGs protest ObamaCare “fixes” as “flatly illegal”

posted at 8:31 am on January 3, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Alternate headline: Hot Air readers get results! In our year-end poll, readers chose as the most underreported story of 2013 the lawlessness of the Obama administration in its handling of ObamaCare. Eleven state Attorneys General share that opinion — and started off the year attempting to correct it. Led by Patrick Morrisey of West Virginia (no relation), the consortium of AGs protested the changes in a letter to Kathleen Sebelius (via Instapundit):

The attorneys general specifically criticize President Obama’s executive action that allowed insurance companies to keep offering health plans that had been canceled for not meeting ObamaCare’s more rigorous standards.

We support allowing citizens to keep their health insurance coverage, but the only way to fix this problem-ridden law is to enact changes lawfully: through Congressional action,” the attorneys general wrote in a letter to Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. “The illegal actions by this administration must stop.”

They say the healthcare fix was “flatly illegal under federal constitutional and statutory law.”

Congress wrote the law in a manner that transfers much of its authority to HHS. The bill is chock-full of the phrase, “The Secretary shall determine …” in areas where Congress should have provided much more specific direction, which allows the executive branch wide latitude in a number of areas. However, the bill does have some specificity, especially on deadline dates for enforcement. HHS does not have the statutory flexibility that it has arrogated to itself for these “fixes,” nor does it have the constitutional power to change statute.

Morrisey and his colleagues are correct in their accusations. The question will be whether any of them will challenge those decisions in court. One would have to think they have standing to do so, especially as it relates to the impact on insurers in their states.  Congress also would have standing to bring a complaint to the federal court, and one has to wonder whether John Boehner and the House is considering such an action. If “the illegal actions by this administration must stop,” they have to know that a letter to Sebelius isn’t going to be the fulcrum of that change.

In other ObamaCare news, the confusion over sign-ups versus actual enrollments is keeping people from getting care:

Hospital staff in Northern Virginia are turning away sick people on a frigid Thursday morning because they can’t determine whether their Obamacare insurance plans are in effect.

Patients in a close-in DC suburb who think they’ve signed up for new insurance plans are struggling to show their December enrollments are in force, and health care administrators aren’t taking their word for it.

In place of quick service and painless billing, these Virginians are now facing the threat of sticker-shock that comes with bills they can’t afford.

‘They had no idea if my insurance was active or not!’ a coughing Maria Galvez told MailOnline outside the Inova Healthplex facility in the town of Springfield.

She was leaving the building without getting a needed chest x-ray.

‘The people in there told me that since I didn’t have an insurance card, I would be billed for the whole cost of the x-ray,’ Galvez said, her young daughter in tow. ‘It’s not fair – you know, I signed up last week like I was supposed to.’

The x-ray’s cost, she was told, would likely be more than $500.

She chose a plan that cost $450 a month but hasn’t received a bill yet, the Daily Mail reports, but she also has a $5500 deductible — which means she’d be paying for that chest X-ray anyway. There are plenty of more anecdotes from the front lines of the ObamaCare rollout in the article, so be sure to read it all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

….and one has to wonder whether John Boehner and the House is considering such an action.

Let me know how the Tea Party stands on this issue and I can give you an answer.

DaveDief on January 3, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Flatly illegal, huh?…. well then, that really goes too far. If the fixes were just plain illegal, then it’d be a nuttinburger, right?//

ted c on January 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM

The One’s answer;

I won. GFY.

A President who has violated the law over a dozen times just on O-Care alone isn’t likely to care much what a few State AGs, or even every one in the Union, think. Unless of course they agree with him.

The AGs’ letter presupposes that this administration agrees to abide by the implicit contract of the Constitution, i.e., that neither the people or the serving officials of the government may violate the law.

I see no evidence that this President, or his minions, agree.

Unless legal action is forthcoming, this missive was pointless.

clear ether

eon

eon on January 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Will they walk the walk….. we get a lot of bloviating from congress and nothing happens…. call me eeyorish on this
Kathleen will eighty six the letter….

Fox was the only one to talk about it (correct me if I am wrong)

cmsinaz on January 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Eleven state AGs protest ObamaCare “fixes” as “flatly illegal”

Yet nothing will really change regardless of it.

The current parties are like two chubby kids (GOP/Dems) fighting over a ho-ho (USA). Each one wants to eat it and when one gets a hold of it they just keep taking bigger and bigger bites out of it.

Gatsu on January 3, 2014 at 8:41 AM

If the media would really hammer on THIS…. maybe people would understand that this law is a really bad one – for everyone.

HomeoftheBrave on January 3, 2014 at 8:41 AM

“If the president does it it’s not illegal.”

myiq2xu on January 3, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Morrisey and his colleagues are correct in their accusations. The question will be whether any of them will challenge those decisions in court. One would have to think they have standing to do so, especially as it relates to the impact on insurers in their states. Congress also would have standing to bring a complaint to the federal court, and one has to wonder whether John Boehner and the House is considering such an action. If “the illegal actions by this administration must stop,” they have to know that a letter to Sebelius isn’t going to be the fulcrum of that change.

Unless they go to court it is all just noise. These proclamations will not scare the Tyrant. Q

doufree on January 3, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Thank you daily mail…..again we have to get our news from across the pond

cmsinaz on January 3, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I just hope the maddest man in the room is well rested after his rare vacation so he can figure out whose a$$ to kick over all of this.

NotCoach on January 3, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Whaaaa? It’s not free?

I guess somebody doesn’t quite know what a deductible is. As soon as more and more people realize how horrible their coverage is – there’s gonna be a huge crap storm.

Hill60 on January 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM

FINALLY, SOMEONE WITH SOME B@LLS!

easyt65 on January 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM

There should be 50 AG’s on this, preparing and filing a lawsuit on behalf of the American people. If they don’t go to court, this is just meaningless…

HomeoftheBrave on January 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Charles Krauthammer delineates the simplest, most effective approach for stopping Obamacare in his WP column today. Short-circuit an insurer bailout and force them to live with the market forces O-Care creates. It should be a no-brainer for Republicans. Will they do it? Maybe, but I’m not holding my breath.

SacredFire on January 3, 2014 at 8:55 AM

You can’t possibly believe that all people understand this, in fact I’d say the vast majority will NOT.
I can’t wait for the first ObamaCare pregnant patient who comes in for her “covered” pregnancy and we announce her entire prenatal care fee is due up-front, and she STILL hasn’t met her deductible.

Marcus on January 3, 2014 at 8:58 AM

To paraphrase Japanese Admiral Yamamoto after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Obama and Obamacare have simply awakened a sleeping giant!! People are coming out of the Obama dream world and waking up to a very frightening reality. This law may actually be a good thing in retrospect.

Deano1952 on January 3, 2014 at 8:58 AM

The cost of the x-ray under her insurance plan may be less than $500 – ins cos have agreements that include lower prices for most procedures, while the uninsured get billed a much higher price. It’s not clear from the article if the $500 is the price charged to uninsureds, or the price under her insurance policy. It always seems strange to me that people claim the uninsured don’t pay any of their bills, and cause the price of health care to increase for everyone else. If you don’t have insurance, you get billed a much higher price from the provider, and if you have a job or any assets, you pay it or get sued by a collection agency, at least in my experience. The only people who don’t pay are those who are judgement-proof.

mbs on January 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Nope, they don’t know what a deductible is. They heard free and jumped all over it. I can’t wait to see when they realize nothing is free with this prez.

megthered on January 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Colorado picked a bad time to legalize Brain Baker in a Bag. Pot prices are skyrocketing due to demand. How many of these young “libertarians” are now going to turn around and plonk down thousands of dollars for ObloatedCare?

NotCoach on January 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Congress Democrats wrote the law in a manner that transfers much of its authority to HHS.

FIFY.

BuckeyeSam on January 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM

It’s all talk until these attorneys’ general takes the regime to federal court. Of course all these “fixes” and decrees by HHS are illegal. There really is no “fix” to Obamacare other than repeal, but that is not going to happen anytime soon. Basically we are so screwed.

simkeith on January 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I’m sure this Administration will give us their “concerned”
look later today

ToddPA on January 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Marcus on January 3, 2014 at 8:58 AM

As I have said on here before, reality is going to hit most people in Mid to Late Summer when they are still paying out of pocket for their deductible on things that used to be covered by their old insurance.

Johnnyreb on January 3, 2014 at 9:07 AM

FIFY.

BuckeyeSam on January 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Can’t be emphasized enough. The repubs are feckless, but the democrats are intoxicated babies wielding lightsabers.

Murphy9 on January 3, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Marcus on January 3, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Time for schools to terminate the multicultural curriculum bullshite and teach, among other things, some financial literacy.

And inform black students that doing well in financial literacy isn’t “acting white,” it’s “saving and preserving your green.”

BuckeyeSam on January 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM

“Flatly illegal.”

So illegal, in fact, that we’re going to send you a very stern letter telling you that.

So…take that!

There. Everyone feel better now?

Rational Thought on January 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM

mbs on January 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Not in my experience. I recently had a chest xray, a CT scan and a PET scan. As a self-pay patient I paid about 30% of the full price for each of these tests. $45 vs $140 for the xray, $400 vs $1100 for the CT and $1500 vs $6500 for the PET. When you are self pay you can negotiate the price and shop around for the best deal.

BeachBum on January 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I agree that I don’t see how a letter to HHS does any good if they are asking for congressional action against Obamacare. I feel so sorry for the people who are caught up in this scam through no fault of their own. I hope and pray that Republicans will actually be true to their word and repeal Obamacare and not cave on single payer.

lea on January 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Sadly, GOP has made me hopeless that the current crop of establishment GOP will do anything they think might be portrayed by Dems/MSM as confrontational.

The only hope is for the 2014 elections.

petefrt on January 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM

eon on January 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Not only that, but the AGs’ had the unmitigated gall to actually release that letter while The Won was still golfing in Hawaii. I mean really, the man’s been working SO hard. Can’t we just give him a break?

climbnjump on January 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM

OT: As I shiver here in SW Ohio, I can’t tell you how much I loathe Obama for sneering at Americans over global warming from his vacation spot in Hawaii.

BuckeyeSam on January 3, 2014 at 9:24 AM

mbs on January 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM

BeachBum on January 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I am on a high deductible plan because I consume very little health care. But I have one med that I need to buy maybe once a year and it costs several hundred dollars. When the pharmacy finds out that I’m paying for it out-of-pocket, they knock 30% off the price.

climbnjump on January 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM

HomeoftheBrave on January 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

One must have “standing” in order to file a lawsuit.

The AGs know that their only recourse is to send a letter of protest.

The Obama-King keeps on a-rolling.

Carnac on January 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM

…but the only way to fix this problem-ridden law is to enact changes lawfully: through Congressional action

I’m sure the ‘fix’ will involve repealing regulations, fewer bureaucrats and allowing private market forces to take effect. Or not.

Fenris on January 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM

If you don’t have insurance, you get billed a much higher price from the provider…

mbs on January 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM

That is kind of opposite from the truth. Those who pay out of pocket can often negotiate lower prices then what providers charge insurers.

NotCoach on January 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Hill60 on January 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM

The Democrats are going to get an up-swell in support for subsidizing the deductibles, as well.

Carnac on January 3, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Eleven state AGs protest ObamaCare “fixes” as “flatly illegal”

Meh. Probably just a bunch of obstructionist Republicans.

/media

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 3, 2014 at 9:40 AM

NotCoach on January 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Like I said, that was not my experience. When I was uninusred, I did not find that providers willing to lower their prices. Might be different for others.

mbs on January 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM

DaveDief on January 3, 2014 at 8:37 AM

This. No chance Boehner files any kind of lawsuit. The Republicans are a potemkin opposition party and will take no kind of action other than uttering a few applause lines for the camera.

Doomberg on January 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM

SacredFire on January 3, 2014 at 8:55 AM

The Democrats are licking their chops. Wipe out the insurers and Big Government will “save” us with single payer. That has been their plan all along. It is not a conspiracy. They have said it out loud.

All of these things going wrong with Obamacare? They are FEATURES. Not bugs.

Frustrate and frighten the people enough, and they will leap at the chance to be saved from the mess by single payer.

fadetogray on January 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Whaaaa? It’s not free?

Hill60 on January 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Proof that what you don’t know CAN hurt you.

At least before Obamacare, deductibles were much smaller, so this didn’t bite the ignorant quite as badly.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 3, 2014 at 9:45 AM

This law is quickly turning into a hellish nightmare. Even the Dems in my office are starting to complain.

They’re getting their policies now with a new doctor assigned to them -even tho they requested their own doctor that is actually on the plan. I’m hearing the mocking of “if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.”

Even I didn’t think it would be THIS bad.

stenwin77 on January 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Proof that what you don’t know CAN hurt you.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 3, 2014 at 9:45 AM

People who actually bought insurance (before ObozoCare) were probably not very ignorant about deductibles. They knew there was a price to be paid, and they were active consumers shopping for a deal. Now we have ignoramuses pouring into the system because of mandates, and what they can get is much more expensive (with far less choice). The shock, I’m sure, is quite large for many of these people.

NotCoach on January 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM

And one has to wonder how many of those who were turned away from the hospital voted for McCauliffe. Good luck Virginia.

kjatexas on January 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Hospital staff in Northern Virginia are turning away sick people because they can’t determine whether their Obamacare insurance plans are in effect.

One report about a couple of incidents at one hopital. Now how many times has this already happened across the country? The MSM should be filled with these stories today. Yeah, I know.

lynncgb on January 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Just saw Elysium last night, where Matt (Bourne) Damon leaves the craphole that is Los Angeles future to seek healthcare on the orbiting space station Elysium. Down below it’s all dust and slums and his erstwhile nurse girlfriend watches helplessly as her daughter is dying of leukemia till somehow she winds up on the spaceship with him. In the end, he forces a reboot of the system and so all the magical medical bots of Elysium come peeling out of their selfish makers’ storage bins to go sailing down to heal all the impoverished people down on earth.

It never occurs to the writers that perhaps Damon’s character should have fought to help the poor people create their own clinics, or perhaps there were rich people on Elysium who would have loved to help, but were held back by onerous overregulation. There’s a lot of rhetoric about “illegal immigration” and “citizenship” and of course the heartless white people blowing poor brown immigrants out of the sky.

The masses lap this crud up. It’s truly a hopeless fight. As my wife commented, the movie could be interpreted also as a warning on where we’re headed, given our trajectory.

JoseQuinones on January 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM

All of these things going wrong with Obamacare? They are FEATURES. Not bugs.

fadetogray on January 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM

A taxpayer bailout of health insurers would be de facto single payer. With a bailout off the table, insurers aren’t just going to fold up their tents and steal away. They will have to raise their rates to unworkable levels, and at that point it is in their interest to withdraw from O-Care and start over. Insurers are more than willing to make a (supposedly) lucrative deal with Obama, but I doubt they are willing to commit hara-kiri for him.

SacredFire on January 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM

It is all menaingless;

Whether you claim that these AG’s were gutsy, or it was just an empty gesture, it won’t make any difference. Not even if they go to to the useless and traitorous Roberts Supreme Court with it.

The only thing left that really has any meaning is if you, and a few million of your friends join me in declaring:

I SHALL NOT COMPLY

And follow through with that promise, whatever might come.

LegendHasIt on January 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM

JoseQuinones on January 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Yup.

Most of the people I know who are for Obomacare get all their info from PBS. Listen to that propaganda for just one hour and you’d swear it’s the answer to everything and is moving along just fine.

Unless it touches you personally, you’re never gonna change.

Cleombrotus on January 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM

mbs on January 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM

BeachBum on January 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Both statements are true at the same time. Welcome o the wacky world of medical billing, where insurance companies negotiate their own prices on procedures with hospitals while you pay full prices, unless the hospital decides to give you a discount.

I know where I used to work they came up with “insurance plans” that were basically a discount off the top on all medical procedures, and if you were uninsured, they tried to put you on one of those plans.

The prices at hospitals and clinics are inflated specifically to accommodate the discounts insurance companies negotiate, so it actually makes sense to offer discounts to private payers. For one thing, it encourages payment. A patient is far more likely to pay a bill that is 30% off the going price.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Proof that what you don’t know CAN hurt you.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 3, 2014 at 9:45 AM

NotCoach on January 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM

It only takes one time paying $500 out of pocket before insurance pays anything to learn how a deductible works.

Still, ignorance of how deductibles work did not hurt as bad when the deductibles were relatively small.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM

But these Obamacare posts are about whistling past the graveyard, by next Novemeber Democrats will be openly running on the ACA. Mark my words.

libfreeordie on December 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM

and then hotair will run out of material to bash the President on…that’s what you’re really afraid of, right?

nonpartisan on November 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Chris of Rights on January 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Until someone gets put in jail its all just so much noise.

neyney on January 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Well King Barack the Magnificent would just tell those hospitals to DEEM that the patient had insurance. He’d tell the insurance company to DEEM that the patient was enrolled and to DEEM that the first premium had been paid.

Of course the hospital could come back and tell the patient to DEEM that their x-ray had been taken.

GarandFan on January 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM

kabuki theater…. more popcorn please.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on January 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM

All of these things going wrong with Obamacare? They are FEATURES. Not bugs.

fadetogray on January 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Cloward/Piven anyone?

whatabunchoflosers on January 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM

mbs on January 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Agreed. My doctor charges me less at the window, and then the central billing office hits me up for the rest later on.

Maddie on January 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

The x-ray’s cost, she was told, would likely be more than $500.

So she couldn’t afford to pay $500 for the “needed” chest x-ray, but she was going to have no problem paying the $450 a month in Obamacare premiums, or meeting the $5,500 deductible?

Who do these people think they’re kidding?

AZCoyote on January 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM

So where are the lawsuits?

albill on January 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM

This administration and it’s appointed judges use standing, whether valid or not, as an excuse to prevent suits.

sadatoni on January 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I heard a news story on this and they said all the AGs were Republican. Translation, ignore, partisan racists and no one cares what they think.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Let’s be honest for a minute, something that the Obama administration has proven they are incapable of doing.

These Attorney Generals are RIGHT! According to the Constitution of the United States, which both provides and LIMITS the powrs of the President, ONLY CONGRESS can modify a law once it has been passed.

Obama’s 1st Constitutional violations regarding this law occurred before the ink from his signature signing this bill into law was even dry. Proving the GOP’s every warning about Obamacare was true, Obama immediately began issuing waivers to businesses to try to prevent them from having to drop millions of Americans’ health coverage and prevent them from firing many Americans as a result of the Obamacare mandates. To date there have been over 2,300 waivers handed out, EVERY ONE A CONSTITUTIONAL VIOLATION!

Obama has GIVEN HIMSELF – personally assumed – powers that HE DOES NOT HAVE in order to make continuous changes to the law, changes that are required to keep Obamacare ‘alive’.

The Constitution is clear on the separation of powers, and Obama – a self-professed ‘Constitutional Scholar’ – KNOWS he is breaking the law but continues to do so anyway. For his complete and total disregard for the US Constitution and the Ruld of law Obama should be IMPEACHED…”Period”!

In truth, Obama has modified his health care law somany times on his own that ‘Obamacare’ – the original bill that was passed into law – does not even EXIST anymore! this ‘b@st@rdized’ version that exists now was NEVER passed into law by Congress and thus CAN NOT BE UPHELD / ENFORCED.

Every state in the nation should totally disregard Obamacare – as it stands now. If Obama wants his health care nightmare the original bill passed into law by Congress should be the only law acknowledged and enforced – no waivers, no 70% tax-payer funded subsidies for our representatives, etc. no way this will happen, as Obama had to violate the Constitution thousands of times to exempt people/groups otherwise Americans would have revolted, and Obamacare would not be around right now.

The Constitution mandates that Barak Obama be held accountable for his violations of the Constituion and Rule of Law. It also demands that Obama’s self-appointed powers be stripped from him and he face the full extent of the Constitution ad law for his actions. Obama DESERVES to be Impeached…unfortunately there are no politicians who respect and hold dear their Oaths of Office, a sworn oath to protect and defend the Constituion and Rule of Law from ENEMIES, both foreign AND DOMESTIC!

easyt65 on January 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM

A taxpayer bailout of health insurers would be de facto single payer. …
SacredFire on January 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM

As would be the insurers pulling out. They have no place from which to start over. That was the Democrats’ strategy.

As the system disintegrates the Democrats will be taking emergency measures to protect those millions of people who have become uninsured through no fault of their own. Who could argue against that? Arguing against it will be politically untenable.

Cloward/Piven anyone?

whatabunchoflosers on January 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Bingo.

fadetogray on January 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Accusations of ‘racism’ are the last, pathetic attempts to defend the indefensible.

The Obama admiistration ran guns to Mexican Drug Cartels and is still engaged in the cover-up, refusing to give Brian Terry’s family the answersand justice they deserve.
– Bringing up Fast and Furious, demanding accountability, makes ‘you’ a RACIST.

Obama allowed 20 US Embassies throughout the Middle east be attacked, 3 over-run / heavily damaged, on the anniversary of 9/11/01, Americans have no idea where the President was that day, & he continues in the cover up.
– Briging that up makes ‘you’ a racist.

Obama ordered the US military to help Al ’9/11′ Qaeda take over Libya. (Bush promised terrorists would have no safe haven in the world – Obama not only gave them a safe haven but handed them their own COUNTRY.
– Briging that up makes ‘you’ a racist.

IRS targeting of his political enemies, NSA illegally spying on every American, Benghazi, running guns to Jihadists in Syria, and on and on and on… this President has violated the Constitution & Rule of law over and over and over.

– Bringing up Fast and Furious, demanding accountability, makes ‘you’ a RACIST.

– Briging that up makes ‘you’ a racist.

– Briging that up makes ‘you’ a RACIST.

Enough of that BS! Impeach this SOB already!

easyt65 on January 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM

NC’s attorney general, Roy Cooper, sure ain’t one of the eleven. He is too busy poking a stick in the Republican party’s eyes as he considers running for governor in 2016.

Sheesh. In North Carolina, we have a Republican governor, senate and house, and ended up with some petty little party schmuck as Attorney General.

BigAlSouth on January 3, 2014 at 11:39 AM

*Democrat schmuck.

BigAlSouth on January 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

BigAlSouth on January 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

LOL! Clarification appreciated but unneeded.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

We’ve never said we were abiding by the Constitution. We’re doing it for the children.

BHO

BobMbx on January 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Are they protesting, or are they defending the constitution through legal action????

Because there is, actually, a significant difference.

KMC1 on January 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Well, then Eleven state Attorneys General are racists.

So, there.

Galtian on January 3, 2014 at 12:13 PM

mbs on January 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM

NotCoach on January 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Depends on your situation. If it is a real emergency with you on your back, you are in no position to negotiate and the hospital chargemaster will rape you.

If you a leisurely scheduling procedures and can walk away if you don’t like the price, you are in a position to negotiate.

slickwillie2001 on January 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM

easyt65 on January 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Easy – I am SO with you on this. Why can’t we coordinate enough people to force the subject? It’s not just emperor zero, it’s all of the cockroaches in D.C. who fail to do anything. We need a wave election in November 2014 or this will get out of hand. We may be forced to defend it (the Constitution) ourselves – by any means necessary.

HomeoftheBrave on January 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM

If the proper plural of “Attorney General” is “Attorneys General” and not “Attorney Generals,” is the abbreviation of the plural “AGs” or AsG.”

davidk on January 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Evil right-wing lies! No such thing is happening. Sick people are saving huge amounts of money, thanks to Obamacare. Obama promised reduced costs and here they are! Just look:

Hospital staff in Northern Virginia are turning away sick people….

By being turned away, the sick never have to spend so much as a dime! I mean, how do you spend money if they don’t let you have the service?

See how brilliant Obama is? Savings, savings, savings!

And then there was his promise to make vastly wiser use of scarce medical resources. He kept that pledge too. Here look at this, also from Ed’s story above:

She was leaving the building without getting a needed chest x-ray.

X-ray use is now plummeting, again thanks to Obamacare. Same with use of iodine, band-aids, and ice packs — all extremely rare commodities laced with costs that impose enormous strains on our healthcare system.

Moral of the story: You stinking right-wing dissidents need to just shut up buy some Obamacare. It’s the patriotic thing to do.

FlameWarrior on January 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM

The bill is chock-full of the phrase, “The Secretary shall determine …”

I want me a bill like that just one page I’ll pervide the exact wording:

“He…”

(I’ll do edits later.)

Tsar of Earth on January 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM

FIFY.

BuckeyeSam on January 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Great point! And don’t stop reminding everyone who is responsible for this mess. Make the Democrats own it.

HiJack on January 3, 2014 at 2:18 PM

The One’s answer: I won. GFY.

eon on January 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Likely, but you’ll have to wait for an answer. I saw news that he was snorkeling in Hawaii. (And I didn’t even know he took Reggie along…)

Tsar of Earth on January 3, 2014 at 2:23 PM

One must have “standing” in order to file a lawsuit.

The AGs know that their only recourse is to send a letter of protest.

The Obama-King keeps on a-rolling.

Carnac on January 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM

They do have standing as they oversee the insurance companies licensed to do business in their states.

Vince on January 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM

This AG letter – along with all of the “lawless administration” musings of Krauthammer, Will and more – will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks – *if* I also hand over $5 or so.

Until someone decides to take *action* on the lawlessness, all of the *words* are ‘flatly’ useless.

Midas on January 3, 2014 at 2:39 PM

climbnjump on January 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM

The big O is still on vacation? You mean vacation isn’t over?
Then what the heck am I doing here at work typing this comment?

timberline on January 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

WTF doesn’t she have a “free” obama cell foam to use to call ’bout what’s hold’n up her “free” health care

roflmmfao

donabernathy on January 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

The question here, should John Boehner and the Congress take Obama to court to enforce Obama Care bel canto? The reason republicans have not tried to FIX Obama care is the same reason they don’t do this, they don’t want it; we don’t want it enforced properly or enforce badly, we don’t want it.

Fleuries on January 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM

The approach is far to tactical and misses the big picture noted herein.

Congress cannot delegate its constitutional powers via legislation. It takes a constitutional amendment to affect such changes.

Meanwhile, where the hell are Republicans in Congress who have more to lose in this process than anyone?

Crickets.

And Republicans wonder why they garner equal hate from the electorate. They’ve abandoned their constitutional role and sold it out for politics.

Marcus Traianus on January 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Good to know Nebraska is on the list.

Yakko77 on January 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM

That, and they don’t have to put as much work into billing you. For the insured, they have to go through the insurer’s billing department, after looking up their agreements with them about how much they can bill, how they have to itemize, etc., etc…all of which is a pain in the butt and costs them far more work hours than billing you. With you, they can just send you the bill and the payment terms and that’s it.

Sockpuppet Politic on January 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM

She chose a plan that cost $450 a month

The x-ray’s cost, she was told, would likely be more than $500.

I feel like there’s some logic missing here…

Sockpuppet Politic on January 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM

As long as the courts seem to hold that almost no one has standing to complain, nothing will change for the better.

JIMV on January 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Why on earth didn’t the office just explain that she’d probably be paying out of pocket anyway? Geez, no wonder these idiots think that everything will be free.

I also wonder if the insurance companies factored in the high likelihood that many of these folks will never pay their monthly premiums.

meezle on January 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM

…math…is hard!

KOOLAID2 on January 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Hope you Obama voters get it good and hard.

Murphy9 on January 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM

doufree on January 3, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Agreed. Got to file those actions if you want any change. Congress won’t do it.

virgo on January 4, 2014 at 3:35 AM

If the fixes are illegal and the insurance companies comply with the fixes then aren’t they as complicit in breaking the laws as our dear leader? Maybe Rand should start a class action lawsuit against the insurance companies. They would be a lot easier to sue since they aren’t protected by federal judges and the lsm.

Kissmygrits on January 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM

so IMPEACH HIM

one attorney general at time

ploome on January 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I didnt need 11 AGs to tell me its illegal.

Everyone knows it’s illegal.

But ” nobody ” will impeach the first black president.

TX-96 on January 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM