Top 50 for 2013: The Top Ten stories of the year! Update: Polls added for reader choices

posted at 8:31 am on December 31, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

As 2013 comes to a close, we take one last look back at our top 50 most-viewed posts of the year. We’re down to the top 10, the least of which drew over 133,000 page views. The top 10 is almost a microcosm of 2013 in itself, but there are a couple of surprises — including our most-viewed post of the year (page-view counts as of 12/27/13):

And the number one, most-viewed post of the year is …..

Now, it’s your turn. Based on the polls from yesterday, I’ve narrowed down the race for top story and most underreported story down to five finalists each. Cast your votes, and watch for the results tomorrow!

Comments

Wow I am surprised.

NerwenAldarion on December 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Ahhhh I finally get to say it!! BISHOP!!!!!!!

NerwenAldarion on December 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

#4: Iowa Democrat prayer: Thank God for abortionists!

If you like your plan…

Gosnell…

OmahaConservative on December 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Wow I am surprised.

NerwenAldarion on December 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Me too. I scarcely remember a couple of these stories. Were views boosted by flame wars in the comments on some of them?

forest on December 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I agree with OC. Gosnell was the most underreported story and lie of the year was the top story.

esr1951 on December 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Weird, even though I voted for the IRS story yesterday, I went with the Obama’s biggest lie today. While I am truly offended that a government agency is so obviously partisan, I don’t think most people care or they aren’t surprised. But they do care about their wallets and that is were Obamacare hurts universally.

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I’m surprised about #1

But this will not change their lapdog approach to dear leader for the next 3years…..gotta get ready for Hillary transition

cmsinaz on December 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Most underreported story? There should be an all of the above button.

Oldnuke on December 31, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Agreed, OC. The big whopper and the baby killer.

John the Libertarian on December 31, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Or should Gosnell be referred to as the “Baby Butcher”?

John the Libertarian on December 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Changed my top vote today, too…

OmahaConservative on December 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I wonder if all of those views were NSA/#AttackWatch agents tracking our comments for evidence of sedition.

blammm on December 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Were views boosted by flame wars in the comments on some of them?

forest on December 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM

#1 has only two pages of comments… Weird.

*thump, thump, thump*

Is this mic on? Um… “NSA?”

Fallon on December 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM

blammm on December 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Get outta my head, you anti-government freak. /

Fallon on December 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM

*slyly grinning*

Um, which post had the most comments?

Fallon on December 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Ahhhh I finally get to say it!! BISHOP!!!!!!!

NerwenAldarion on December 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Bishop on December 31, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Oops, I was going to say that you also get the chance to be a live silhouette target.

Bishop on December 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM

including all media and the story offshoots I went with snowden/gosnell.

dmacleo on December 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I declare 2014 the year we refuse to Bishop or be Bishop’ed, it’s time we pushed back on these union goons and their thuggery.

John the Libertarian on December 31, 2013 at 9:29 AM

What a lousy year huh?

workingclass artist on December 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM

We’re down to the top 10, the least of which drew over 133,000 page views.

Which is still more than the views it took to crash Obamacare.gov by a factor of 100+…….

GWB on December 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Lawless regime utilizing their enabling act. Aka, ACA.

Every other story falls into this rubric. All of them.

wolly4321 on December 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Ed, how exactly do you “narrow down” poll votes that have already been tallied?

I smell a potential Al Franken job here…

;P

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Benghazi/Gosnell.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2013 at 9:56 AM

#1: NYT reporter: Obama admin “most closed, control-freak administration I’ve ever covered” – A big surprise, and it wasn’t even close — this got 740,371 views, 60% more than the #2 post received. The irony was not lost on Hot Air readers, especially with Leonard Downie’s appeal to the Obama administration on their promise to run “the most transparent administration ever.”

The Greek Pillars really didn’t get put into storage, did they?

Rovin on December 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Exposing the Matthew Shepherd lie ought to be up there somewhere. I saw on ABC where Jason Collins honors him by wearing #98 or something last night on the national news.

DanMan on December 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Obama’s Biggest Lie is probably number 1 but it shouldn’t be. Most people with any discernment whatsoever had to know what a pathological liar he was from his first entry into National politics. So it shouldn’t have come as a surprise.

The IRS scandal, while we knew Obama and his administration were quit capable of using government agencies to punish those who criticize him, there was at least a hope that the bureaucrats in those agencies would have the ethical and moral backbone to say no. The surprise was that they didn’t and even the media should have been shocked and reported the story with outrage.

iamsaved on December 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Top: “If you like your plan..”

Underreported: “IRS targeting cons”…

Truly believe if the media would have done due diligence on both we would be talking about Pres. Romney this morning…

hillsoftx on December 31, 2013 at 10:04 AM

OmahaConservative on December 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM

At least I know I am in excellent company.

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Bishop on December 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Hehehe watch out, I’m a pretty good shot myself ;)

NerwenAldarion on December 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM

The top story is clearly-

Lie of the Year: “If you like your plan, you can keep your plan”

Why? Because that was the turning point where even some of the lowest information herd (think dumb zombies) began to question the veracity of the lazy stupid coward in the White House. That maybe his assurances really were nothing more than a feckless worthless bastard shucking and jiving his way through life.

Happy Nomad on December 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM

hillsoftx on December 31, 2013 at 10:04 AM

If the media had done due dilligence, we would be talking about President McCain. Consider that!

I’m not saying the media was remotely fair in the last two elections but, face it, the GOP has done a sucky job of vetting candidates too.

Happy Nomad on December 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Happy Nomad on December 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yet, it’s the media, (even on the last day of the year), that is already attempting to hi-jack the GOP in picking a Presidential candidate. Case in point: the Washington Examiner’s story this morning on Chris Christies’ 25 Biggest Moments in 2013. The beltway northeastern media is already beginning to shove this phony Republican down our throats.

I will make it my obsessive mission to do everything in my “meager powers” to make certain this man IS NOT THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE IN 2014.

Rovin on December 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

To me the biggest story was, once again the reckless MSM. They would never report on themselves so that is also the most under reported. They refuse to do their jobs. The last presser before Obama fled to Hawaii was pretty disgusting.

neyney on December 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Rovin on December 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I’ve said it before and I continue to maintain that Chris Christie will be running on the Presidential ticket. The Dem’s ticket. If only as the VP so that they can claim the Dems want to get beyond the partisanship of the past by reaching out to a Republican they can work with as VP and President of the GOP-controlled Senate.

The Dems would be very stupid not to be courting the filthy bag of lard.

Happy Nomad on December 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM

neyney on December 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM

What? You don’t care that the lazy stupid coward’s New Year’s resolution is to be nicer to the media?

Happy Nomad on December 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Ed I sure miss the Obamateurisms of the Day.How about Lie of the Day.

jeffinsjvca on December 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM

HN the so called media and Obama have been having an incestuous relationship since 2008. The only reason Obama would feel a need to be nicer to the media is because in the last year about 1% of these reporters actually were critical of him instead of the 100% approval he normally gets from them. Can’t have the truth getting out now can we?

neyney on December 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM

ED, AP, JAZZ ETC.: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE OBAMAISM OF THE WEEK?

Bubba Redneck on December 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It’s awfully hard to get past a story in which a sitting President repeatedly and intentionally lies right through his teeth about a public policy issue, even while still trying to convince Americans of the value of that policy.

I honestly cannot think of anything that even comes close in modern history. Lib-dopes will suggest “the 17 words” but any honest person understands that their campaign against Bush was itself a lie. O’Bozo is the sleaziest liar of a President in our history, which is astonishing given Bill Clinton’s pathological dishonesty and well-documented record as a serial molester.

Jaibones on December 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Bubba Redneck:

ED, AP, JAZZ ETC.: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE OBAMAISM OF THE WEEK?

Bubba Redneck, Ed retired the Obamaturisms at the end of 2012, following Obama’s re-election.

My question is what happened to 11-20? I cannot find that post. Just 21-30.

No Truce With Kings on December 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

My question is what happened to 11-20? I cannot find that post. Just 21-30.

No Truce With Kings on December 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Ed made a mistake in my opinion by burying them in a post with an unrelated headline.

I am going to guess another mod managing the Blog then moved the post off the page, because I can no longer find it.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

My question is what happened to 11-20? I cannot find that post. Just 21-30.

No Truce With Kings on December 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

It’s here. He didn’t label it as 11-20.

GWB on December 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM

No Truce With Kings on December 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Find 11-20 here:

Buried under the “Take the Polls” headline. Not Ed’s best move ever in my opinion.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM

How about reporting the questions healthcare.gov will ask when applying?

CMS has a document mapping the questionaire for applying for obamacare here:

Appendix A: List of Questions in the Online Application to Support Eligibility Determinations for Enrollment through the Health Insurance Marketplace and for Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program

Read it for yourself.

AH_C on December 31, 2013 at 12:27 PM

iamsaved on December 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Not to mention, all we got from Republicans was CRICKETS.
What did they know and when did they know it?
NOT ONE MORE CENT!

Pole-Cat on December 31, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Bengahzi … the truth (likely never to be known) if it were reported AT THE TIME would have sunk King Putt’s re-election efforts.
It is so important a story that the NYT is claiming (now a year and a half after the action) that AQ was not the instigator of the assault. To which I say “SO WHAT!” that claim is a nonsequiter … it is MEAINGLESS. The facts are: the foreign service folks in fear of their security … ASKED SOS for MORE security measures. These overtures were REFUSED. The American Ambassador REQUESTED that increased security be sent to them. HE WAS REFUSED.
The British REMOVED their foreign service folks from Libya after threats and attempeted kidnapping/assisnation attempts on their personnel.
The American’s were left to twist slowly in the wind. The BGs (Bad Guys) formulated a well orchestrated ATTACK on our Ambassador and the American Annex in Bengahzi (which is considered AMERICAN SOIL).
Hours into the attack which included dozens and dozens of attackers using CREW SERVED WEAPONS … HELP was urgently requested by the AMERICANS UNDER ATTACK. This help/assitance/rescue was REFUSED. THE ONLY PERSON who can STOP a rescue mission (by issuing a STAND DOWN ORDER) is and WAS … KING PUTT.
And the NYT says it wasn’t AQ that instigated the ATTACK in Bengahzi. BFD! Newspaper of record, my azz.

Happy New Year everyone. We have THREE MORE YEARS of this Affirmative Action Amature as TOTUS. I dearly hope we can recover from HIS devestations. I have my doubts and The Stupid Party doesn’t give me much inspiration.

Missilengr on December 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Ed..curious…does the correlate to number of comments?
I imagine that’s a different list…would be curious to see that one too.
And Happy New Year and best to you and yours for 2014.

verbaluce on December 31, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Ed I sure miss the Obamateurisms of the Day.How about Lie of the Day.

jeffinsjvca on December 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Lucano on December 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I think so many of these could be combined into a single button (call it the Joseph Goebbel button if you want).

On the most reported, the ObamaCare stuff was not news to many of us since we knew they were all lies from the beginning (when Harry and Nancy are behind something one can assume) and the failure of the web-site is simply a shiny object meant to distract attention from the important flaws that are still a year or so out. So there I had to vote on the Snowden issue…most Americans had NO idea (and sadly most still don’t).

On the least reported, I’ll circle back to ObamaCare. One only needs to go back to the September 2009 speech (it’s on YouTube) and compare the promises to where it stands today (apples and oranges, not the least of which is the item that gets no mention…will not add a dollar to our deficit). So the executive legislation gets my vote there.

teejk on December 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Happy New year.
To 2014 being a better year.for conservatives.
I am proud to have been raised in the USA and believe that as health heads down the horrendous road our democrats have made it it will wake up our country.
Also if anyone e is tech savvy can they create a Facebook page named obama are ruining my life so people can post and the tnx can use to run adds.
I will admit while the leadership sucks I Want to win in 2014 .I want to beat the democrats badly.

Gracelynn on December 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM

*slyly grinning*

Um, which post had the most comments?

Fallon on December 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM

….*laughs*…

KOOLAID2 on December 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM

The top story probably got linked on Drudge or something like that.

bluegill on January 1, 2014 at 3:06 AM

Gosnell? Wasn’t he just doing what a recent Illinois Senator aggressively sought to make legal–the medical/health establishment’s slaughter of fully alive, fully born, babies?
Some might call it infanticide.

Don L on January 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Ed I sure miss the Obamateurisms of the Day.How about Lie of the Day.

jeffinsjvca on December 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Lucano on December 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM

With 40,000 new federal laws (not counting regulations)few know about, how about a column called the Law of the day?

Don L on January 1, 2014 at 7:56 AM