The Toby Keith restaurant “no guns” policy non-story

posted at 2:01 pm on December 29, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Say, have you heard about the latest huge, outrageous news on the gun rights front? Country music star Toby Keith has a new restaurant in Woodbridge, Virginia where he’s trying to stomp all over the Second Amendment rights of Unites States citizens, and conservative gun owners and bloggers across the land are ready to take to the streets with pitchforks and torches to bring down the singer. Except for one small problem: essentially nothing in the preceding sentence is true.

The brouhaha in question seems to have begun with a fairly innocuous story in the local news.

WOODBRIDGE, Va. – A new restaurant that recently opened in Woodbridge is sparking a Second Amendment controversy, especially online.

The restaurant named for country music star Toby Keith has posted a “No guns permitted” sign on its front door and gun rights supporters are blasting the restrictions on the chain’s Facebook page.

Clearly, linkbait like that – particularly during the slow news cycle between Christmas and New Years – was too much to resist, and liberals were quick to jump all over the story. The Raw Story launched into a breathless account of the erupting turmoil.

Conservatives and gun activists are in high dudgeon over a sign outside country singer Toby Keith’s new Virginia bar and grill that says “No Guns Permitted.”

According to Washington, DC’s WTOP, the sign has provoked an explosion of outrage online. Many gun rights advocates took to Twitter and other social media to denounce Keith as a “gun hating liberal,” a “fake,” and a “Republican In Name Only” or “RINO.”

Mediaite upped the stakes a fair bit with their own brand of excitement.

Toby Keith shocked many of his fans this week with a sign outside his new I Love this Bar and Grill in Virginia that reads “No guns allowed!” Virginia law allows people to carry guns into restaurants, but individual establishments reserve the right to make the call for themselves, and Keith’s is bothering quite a few people.

Sadly for all concerned, there are more holes in this story than the soles of a four dollar pair of shoes after running a marathon. First and foremost, the supposed “outrage” (more on that below) is being directed at Toby Keith. What none of these outlets seemed to have done was check one of the essential facts which the local news station actually did uncover. I’ll highlight it below for those who missed it.

Some comments accuse Keith, who doesn’t own the restaurant, of being anti-gun.

The franchise is named after one of Toby Keith’s bigger hits, I Love This Bar. While their website doesn’t list any specifics, I’m sure they had to pay the country legend a fee to use his name and the name of his tune to market their eateries. Keith is not the owner and isn’t making policy for seating arrangements. I suppose he might be able to pull his name from them if he disagrees strongly enough, but that would depend on the terms of the deal they initially signed.

Second, the sign does not blast out, “No guns allowed!” as Mediaite claimed. It actually is composed of gray block letters on the glass door and reads, “No Guns Permitted.”

NoGunsPermitted

As to the vast hordes of conservatives who are in high dudgeon or otherwise “outraged”, this seems to be a product of liberal imagination. The only widely read conservative outlet I saw mentioning the story was a three paragraph piece by AWR Hawkins at Breitbart. And even that one was essentially an accounting of the reported events without editorializing much beyond noting that Keith also wrote a song called Bullets in the Gun, indicating what could be interpreted as support for the rights of gun owners. (It should be noted that Breitbart chose a graphic for their story with some other bar that had a sign saying “No Guns Allowed” which may be where Mediaite picked up that line.)

The liberals drumming up this story instead relied on publishing a short collection of comments left on the restaurant’s Facebook page. And let’s face it… you can go to Grumpy Cat’s Facebook page and find somebody with enough free time on their hands that they decided to leave a comment claiming the feisty feline is an alien. I’m really not seeing an army of angry, conservative Second Amendment supporters ready to lynch Toby Keith at this point.

But since I can’t write anything about gun rights without editorializing a bit myself, let’s pretend for the moment that this story was exactly as billed. This isn’t really a Second Amendment question, since that right is designed to protect us from the government, not places to get wings and cheese sticks during a football game. If the actual owners and management of the restaurant choose to not have patrons in an open carry state bring their guns on the premises I don’t see this as being much different than enforcing a dress code at upscale dining establishments. It will be the invisible hand which determines the joint’s fate, not the government. If enough people are bothered by the policy they won’t eat there and the business will fail as diners vote with their feet and their wallets. Granted, the policy will probably make the place a much tastier target for any potential thieves in the greater Woodbridge area, but nobody is forcing the rest of us to eat there, so c’est la vie.

In the end, I highly doubt that Toby Keith has suddenly changed stripes and joined the Deplorable Nanny State Mayor’s anti-gun group or signed up for the Socialist Party. Either way, we should probably hear from him before we begin fitting him for a tar and feathers tuxedo. To close, here’s the video of the song which originally inspired the name of the restaurant. It’s a fun little tune in case you’ve never heard it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Bmore

Schadenfreude on December 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM

JFKY, it’s Dude.

Just wanted the record clear – not all parents are in favor of carrion-feeding, as always is obama and most of the left.

Schadenfreude on December 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Tommy Christopher est un retard.

steebo77 on December 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Again Wolly that’s not the D@mn point…I have a right, and courts seem to agree, that IF I wish to ban firearms from my property I may do so…

Giving you the choice of complying with my desire or moving on….What’s so d@mn difficult about moving on?

And BTW, you ASS-ume I would ban firearms….as I say rights and freedom mean the right and freedom to be right or wrong, to do or not do…that is the entire point of a right/freedom…you have no right or freedom if you may NOT choose A…

I can ban or not ban…and you can comply or not not…if you don’t I’d prefer yo not frequent my establishment, if I choose to ban….

But you, in your angry arrogance, don’t seem much inclined to grant me a freedom to be wrong.

Now you don’t want to be “victimized” by armed persons…good for you. You know what, can choose to avoid gun free zones. And that is certainly your right. I can choose to run that risk…so please respect my right and my freedom and my desire…in my “house.” IF, that is my choice.

JFKY on December 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Again,, my property rights are 360° of effective range.

If all men claimed that dominion,,

You wouldn’t need your sign.

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Again,, my property rights are 360° of effective range.

No they are not…sorry…your property rights may run to your property line, and that may be less than your effective range. Feel free to try to advance that argument legally and in reality. I believe the neighbors, the police and the courts will RAPIDLY disabuse you of it….

JFKY on December 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Schadenfreude on December 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM

And I didn’t think they were…pro- or con their personal tragedy really is irrelevant to the argument…otherwise all we’d end up doing is crying about this or that person who got shot and waving a bloody shirt at each other…Wolly on one side and Gabby Giffords on the other.

Our job is to try and weigh who makes the better case, not who’s story is the saddest. And I know you know that.

JFKY on December 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Check out the neck bending T-Rex on Beck’s Blaze. Not any good at that linky thing. Sorry.

msupertas on December 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM

You answer less than 1/2 of what I asked.

Can I own guns in my apt?

I lease.

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM

If you are a business owner leasing, can they tell you you can’t carry?

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM

You have had hours to sort this out.

If they can tell you you can’t possess,, why couldn’tnthey tell you that you couldn’t prohibit possession?

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Can I own guns in my apt?

I lease.

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I don’t know…ask your State’s Attorney General. In my state, PROBABLY not, it’s a very 2A state, in California or Massachusetts, it might be OK.

If you are a business owner leasing, can they tell you you can’t carry?

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM

PRACTICALLY it’s an irrelevant question, unless you make it a habit to know whether or not every place you visit owns or leases. Practically, if the shop owner says “No firearms please” It would probably behoove you to act as if s/he’s the legal owner and to move on…I can say with some certainty that if your Kroger says move on, you ought to move on, as they own their buildings…AFAIK.

But again, the real answer is, “Ask your State’s Attorney General.” Who may very well tell you it depends on the contract/lease…

JFKY on December 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM

What is “your property”?

A leased business property?

Or do the actual property owners call that?

And how do I know which it is?

Your sign means nothing. By law.

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM

You have had hours to sort this out.

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM

You know Wolly why can’t you just accept that some folkz don’t want you to carry a firearm around them…and my advice is just move onto someone who doesn’t mind.

But you don’t seem a reasonable or nice person…I’m sure you’d have to make your point. So here’s my best advice, Contact your Attorney General or the State NRA. They can tell you your legal rights as far as property ownership/leasee/rentor arrangements….And once you’ve been informed of these rights, obey the law.

According to Wendya, if s/he’s correct, even in Montana your Enhanced CCW doesn’t override my right to say, “NO GUNZ.” If that’s the general rule, I’d say leaseee/rentor/owner gets to say, “Wolly don’t pack in here please.” And REALLY Wolly, even if the law doesn’t grant them that, but they say “Wolly I’d like to ask you to not pack in here” it would be a decent thing to comply…or to say, “Well I choose not to, but I guess I’ll leave.”

JFKY on December 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I think ladyingray mentioned the 10th amendment. Honey.

Odd that you swing your tune to State AG’s.

You are a joke. I’m outta here,,, lol.

Hey ladyingray,,

*high5*

I can’t stop laughing.. bwaaaaa!

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Your sign means nothing. By law.

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM

ACTUALLY Wolly if you knew that you’d be citing a court case…and Starbucks has made the rule and you know what I don’t know they own all their store properties…so No Wolly now you’re just talking thru your @rse.

JFKY on December 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Have a great night Wolly…I’m glad you know all that stuff…I sure hope you don’t try to put that knowledge to work any where, because I think what you know is just going to get you tossed out of a lot of places….

JFKY on December 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM

If not arrested for trespass and resisting…AKA Contempt of Cop.

JFKY on December 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM

BUT if you get an Enhanced CCW — which requires taking an approved class on how to use a weapon in self defense — then you can usually ignore those signs.

Even then, you’re not allowed to carry in a courtroom, police station, prison, or where prohibited by federal law.

My take on this is that the enhanced carry permit effectively “deputizes” you to an extent, overriding private property laws, in the same way that police are allowed to carry weapons in a store or on someone else’s land.

There Goes the Neighborhood on December 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Back in June, your attorney general clarified many issues concerning your new laws including the fact that private business owners may ban concealed carry, including enhanced carry if they wish. The decision was based on the basic tenet of property ownership that allows owners to control their own property.

Wendya on December 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Some of the attorney general’s “clarifications” in the past were so muddled that they were the cause of the legislature’s stepping in to make the law clear.

But the current state of law is that a store owner can prohibit open carry of firearms, and that prohibition also applies to the basic concealed carry permit, but does not apply to the enhanced concealed carry permit.

Here’s a simplified breakdown of the difference between the two permits:

I think the basic permit should also allow carrying a concealed weapon regardless of a property owner’s sign, for the simple reason that a concealed carry permit implies the ability to have a hidden weapon and not have to notify anyone. So the gun-carrier would have no obligation to inform the business that he was packing.

Having the right to carry in some places and not in others breaks down very quickly for people who are busy, and can’t always run and put away their gun every time they happen into a store with a different policy. Effectively, if you’re carrying a weapon for your personal protection, and you have to remove it before entering a particular store, your removal of the weapon requires un-concealing it, and deprives you of the power of that license. So, as a practical matter, someone packing a concealed weapon is better advised to ignore the sign if they’re just passing through.

You try to respect the wishes of someone who doesn’t want guns on their property, but that doesn’t mean you give up your rights to self-defense, or to keep your weapon concealed.

In the case of Mississippi, an enhanced permit corrects what I consider to be a mistake, and eliminates having to worry about every property owner who — rather foolishly — forbids firearms.

There Goes the Neighborhood on December 29, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I’d say that is WRONG, but at least it is clear…Wolly won’t like it though….

JFKY on December 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM

No one is asking you to…what is being asked of you is not to carry a firearm on my property…now if you feel that this request is of less importance than your need to carry a firearm…you are at perfect liberty to not shop in my store…there are alternatives to my store…please fell free to avail yourself of them. IF Starbucks finds that no one is buying enough coffee because of their firearms policy then they may change it…but it seems to be well within their rights to be totally incorrect in their belief.

My point is, everyone acts as if we are telling you be disarmed…we’re not, we’re telling be disarmed around ME, please…it’s not simply a binary set.

I did understand your posting on Enhanced Carry, again…I don’t have to like it, but I can see it’s the law.

JFKY on December 29, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Great starbucks gun. As a backup to the Ruger P95 small of the back concealed carry.

That’s right. I carry 2.

But I don’t like starbucks, anyways. Their coffee always tastes burnt. At $4/cup.

You would be surprised who carries. Might be a little Jewish chick with a .38 in her bra.

Ya never know.

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:52 PM

And in AZ,, you need no permit. Whatsoever. Concealed. Open.

Nada.

Kind of like freedom. Maybe you remember it.

Maybe not.

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM

In Ohio, if I carry into an establishment that has been posted as a No Gun Zone, I can be charged with criminal trespass by the owner of the store. I also can’t carry into a church without the permission of the pastor, can’t carry into a school or day care, I can take it into a bar but I can’t drink, can’t take it onto any federal property or a police station or police facility,no matter what the Second Amendment says. I plan on keeping my CCW, so I don’t carry in those places.

megthered on December 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Four options.
Either give up your right to carry in public on the way to the restaurant – clearly unfair.
Leave your loaded weapon in your parked and unattended car – stupid in my humble opinion.
Ignore the sign and keep care to emphasize the CONCEALED portion of concealed carry.
Eat elsewhere.
I would choose number three.

LarryinLA on December 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM

In Los Angeles the decision is made for me. You have to perform unspeakable acts to acquire a permit last I heard. Not worth the effort. God I need to move.

LarryinLA on December 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Let’s start off with “don’t ask, don’t tell” and take it from there. Seems to work for the other side…

unclesmrgol on December 30, 2013 at 12:49 AM

My state allows me to carry in any private parking lot I want to.

So there.

ladyingray on December 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM

It was amusing reading from the beginning of this thread towards the end and watch you morph from a Cartman-esque “I do what I want!” to “I carry in any parking lot.”

Well, go on with your bad self. “NO GUNS PERMITTED” signs usually are on buildings, aren’t they?

Marcus on December 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM

This is Woodbridge. It will probably get lots of granola-crunching, arougula-nibbling patrons.

The biggest thieves in Woodbridge all work in Washington, DC. And they’ll all go eat at this place. Just sayin’. (Isn’t there something about “no publicity is bad publicity”?)

GWB on December 30, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Oh, and someone sufficiently pedantic and stubborn (but really nice about it) needs to carry a rifle in there. Then insist they aren’t carrying a gun, but a rifle. (Anyone who had been in the Marines or Army would know the difference.)

GWB on December 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I’ve got a CCW and could care less what a sign up front says (with the obvious exceptions of certain state and federal facilities).

John_G on December 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Well, to a certain extent I agree with you. But I use this site: handgunlaw.us whenever I want to check the current status of state laws around the country.

I just choose who I patronize accordingly. For example, in Florida, you can POST a sign…but I get to ignore it if you are open for business to the public. Though in a restaurant I have to watch the way I head to the bathroom..have to use the “secondary route” to make sure I don’t travel through the bar area.

Concealed means concealed.

Funny story: I went to Walmart to pick up a Crickett rifle for my granddaughter. Did the whole paperwork thing. Two employees had to be present to do the paperwork as well. And then I was escorted out by the store manager through the store with this little beauty*.

All the while I had my M&P Shield in .40 in my pocket. Even picked up a box of ammo for it along with the rifle.

———–
* – got the black one, not the pink one. It is a weapon, not a toy.

NB:

ProfShadow on December 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Ya never know.

wolly4321 on December 29, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Great. Now all I can think about is a hot Jewish chick with a .38 in her bra.

As if I wasn’t down with the tribe before ;-)

CaptFlood on December 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM

GWB on December 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I recall that one was for fighting, the other for fun… You only make that mistake once ;-)

CaptFlood on December 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I’m sorry but, he has a RIGHT to say NO 2 Guns in his restaurant.
He’s not saying YOU can’t/shouldn’t own a gun, He’s saying you just can’t bring one into his place.

This really is a bunch of BS.

mmcnamer1 on December 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM

So when the lefties play their little tantrums and try to bully Chick-fil-A and we say “So just don’t eat there if you don’t like their first amendment rights!” … somehow that’s different than this?

Except it’s not. If you don’t like their policy, don’t eat there. Don’t be whiny bit**es like liberals.

tyketto on December 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

My only hope is that a safe, no-gun environment will allow Toby Keith, aka Mister I-IV-V to learn that elusive 4th chord which will greatly expand his songwriting frontiers.

jangle12 on December 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Does a Christian person have the right to refuse service to anyone having a tramp stamp or some pagan tattoo – despite being fully concealed. Can a Muslim shop owner order Catholic patrons to not have a concealed cross? Since when would a conservative believe that anyone has the right to control what you wear AND KEEP CONCEALED under your clothing. If the shop owner opens his establishment to the public, he should only regulate the outward appearances and activities of his clientele that relate to his business model – ties, shoes etc.

LarryinLA on December 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM

While Toby Keith may have many centrist and conservative views, I believe he is registered Democrat who has many times called himself a lifelong Democrat that comes from a Southern Democratic family.

The South was once a Democrat bastion. Heck, it took Rick Perry to become the very first Republican Texas Lt. Gov since Reconstruction and he used to be a Democrat. George W. Bush was the first consistent Republican gov. since that time.

You can see such things all across the south. Conservative Southern families that still are aligned with the Democrat party even though the party doesn’t represent them.

Democrats like to say they lost the South because of racist whites and the cynical Nixon attempt at exploiting them. Problem is the South didn’t turn Republican overnight.

It took decades, in some cases cementing in half a century.

Toby Keith is part of that history. He is conservative, but Democrat, a rarity in the supposed tolerant party of the donkey.

TexasDude on December 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

TexasDude on December 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

He’s probably also a little conflicted about his childhood buddies who ended up with union jobs at the Oklahoma City Ford plant.

rhombus on December 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I’m sorry but, he has a RIGHT to say NO 2 Guns in his restaurant.

This really is a bunch of BS.

mmcnamer1 on December 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM

So has anyone answered why I/we/you can’t do the same with someone bringing their gheyness into my business?

Nutstuyu on December 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I spoke to Ed about this one and he agreed that this falls more under the private property issue. You don’t have to allow anyone in your home carrying a gun if you don’t wish to. The eatery doesn’t either. They can also bar you for not wearing a tie and jacket. They may go out of business, but it’s probably within their rights to set that rule.

Jazz Shaw on December 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Has Ed ever heard of Colorado or New Mexico? I think some photographers and bakers would like to have a word with him.

Nutstuyu on December 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I submit it was written (The 2nd amendment)to allow me to protect myself with a firearm no matter where I might be in these United States Of America.

Tim Zank on December 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM

“Arms” doesn’t equal firearms. If the gov tries to take them all away, I’ll still be using bows or swords.

Nutstuyu on December 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Regarding restaurant ownership, the claim that he is NOT the owner is inaccurate. What percentage he owns, however, is unknown.

jediwebdude on December 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM

The biggest mistake is the assumption Keith is conservative because he is a country singer. Toby Keith is a flaming liberal.

peacenprosperity on December 31, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Tobby Keith is a self proclaimed Conservative Democrat, I heard him say it. This would put him somewhere right of Progressive RINO. A man without a party these days, probably has more in common with the TEA Party than he would care to admit.

Pole-Cat on December 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Tobby Keith is a self proclaimed Conservative Democrat, I heard him say it.

And juan williams says he’s a libertarian. Keith is pro “gay rights”, pro drug, pro abortion and, yes, pro gun control. I’ve seen quotes from him on all. He can label himself anything he wants, or label himself whatever his pr person tells him to call himself.

peacenprosperity on December 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Keith is pro “gay rights”, pro drug, pro abortion and, yes, pro gun control.
peacenprosperity

Still somewhere right of Progressive RINO.

Pole-Cat on January 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM

JFKY is conflating the inviolability of private property with the license to use that property even in ways that violate other persons’ rights. A property owner may disallow the concealed carry of firearms on his property, but he does not have the right to disallow it. A building owner that leases to a baker may disallow his tenant from referencing God in his work, but he does not have the right to violate his tenant’s rights, on his property or off. Property rights are irrelevant here because no one is confiscating the property or in any way diminishing the ownership of the property. If ownership of property extended to the owner’s license to oppress his guests, then there would be nothing stopping property owners from from using their ownership as an excuse for any type of lawless immorality. If an owner can suspend one’s right to bear arms, then he can suspend one’s right to pray, and if ownership is the litmus test for oppression, then the state, as an owner of property, has a beautiful justification for suppressing any and all of our rights, including those of the Houston ISD bus driver that prayed while on govt-owned property. Great job of undermining everything America stands for, JFKY!

TXJenny on January 5, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I live just outside the Communist strong hold of Madison, Wisconsin. There are many restaurants that post “Gun Free Zone”. When I see this sign I walk in and ask for the owner or manager in charge. I have a business card I hand to them that says the following:

FRONT: I noticed your “Gun Free Zone” sign and I will respect your wishes by not spending any money. You have lost my business today and in the future.

BACK: Your business would be safer with law-abiding citizens carrying concealed handguns, but you have elected to make it ‘safer’ for criminals. You have chosen to ban firearms in your business. As such, I have chosen to take my gun and my money to your competitor’s business until such time as you choose to allow law-abiding armed citizens in your establishment. “PROTECT OUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS!”

Pretty easy … the sign came down in less than a week…

psychocyber on January 5, 2014 at 3:09 PM