Colorado seeing record Christmas gun sales

posted at 1:01 pm on December 28, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

What was on your Christmas wish list? Some books or DVDs or a shiny new vuvuzela? How about a nice 16 gauge over under shotgun? If you’re a resident of Colorado, you may have gotten that last item under your tree, as gun sales have seen a considerable uptick at the end of the year. Our Townhall colleague, Michael Schaus, takes a very humorous look at an extremely serious subject.

Coloradoans, apparently, like their guns. The great state of New New York (AKA: Colorado) is on track to break the previous record of total gun sales in the state… At least, that’s according to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. By year end, Colorado will have conducted tens of thousands more background checks for gun purchases than ever before in state history.

Some of the up-tick in firearm purchases could be contributed to gun enthusiasts’ desire to buy up firearms before legislators and a certain governor (ahem*Hickenlooper*ahem) choose to outlaw the practice. Advocates of recent gun control laws, however, are suggesting the increase in background checks are a result of “universal background checks’; and are therefore proof that the new laws are keeping Coloradoans safer.

“Dozens of criminals would be walking around with a gun right now if not for the new law,” said Rep. Rhonda Fields, a Colorado legislator with no apparent capacity to digest the meaning of the word “criminal”. Because, ya know, dozens of criminals tried to purchase a firearm from drug dealers, gun runners, and fellow gang members – only to find out that they were unable to pass the required background check. “Oh well,” they said to themselves when their fellow criminal reported the unfortunate denial from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. “I guess I’ll just go back to being an unarmed, and passive, member of society.”

Colorado is one of the big states to talk about when it comes to Second Amendment rights. This could be because of the new gun rights restrictions they passed, the elected officials who were recalled because of it or those who turned tail and ran rather than face the wrath of liberty minded voters. Or maybe because it’s just so darned fun to say “Hickenlooper.” But no matter the reason, as Schaus points out, they still have more than their fair share of politicos who seem to be clueless about the realities on the ground.

“The bottom line is, background checks work,” said Democrat State Rep. Mike Foote, one of the bill’s sponsors. “It keeps guns out of the hands of felons and domestic violence offenders.” Well, sure… It keeps guns out of the hands of anyone who bothers to hassle with following the law. It does nothing to prohibit illegal sales among criminals with criminal intent.

Meanwhile, hundreds of Colorado citizens likely committed a new crime this Christmas when they unwittingly circumvented the new gun laws by giving a gun as a gift to family or friends. Unless that gun was accompanied by a background check form, and processed through a federally licensed dealer, the generous gift has just indicted two otherwise law abiding citizens.

By all reports, efforts at passing new gun control laws in Congress remain stalled, but not dead by any means. At the state level, anti-second amendment enthusiasts have achieved far greater success. Colorado isn’t the only place, and their restrictions actually pale in comparison to both New York and Colorado’s draconian legislation which not only immediately established gun registry lists but resulted in gun confiscation. But at least some states’ voters have begun to seriously push back. Obamacare may still be the signature issue of the 2014 elections on the national level, but look for gun owners’ rights to be part of the focus in the states where this fight is far from over.

Comments

Stoned hippy wannabes with guns..what could possibly go wrong?

Dude…don’t Bogart my blunt! bang!

trs on December 28, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Is this from all the Cali fruits & nuts? If so, why hasn’t this happened in Oregon & Washington? Will sanity return to Colorado?

8 weight on December 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Damn all I got was socks and underwear.

jaywemm on December 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I suspect that firearms purchases would be higher here in Colorado except people are having to decide whether they need new firearms, or the ammunition to feed them. My personal list was topped by ammunition, and other preparations for “interesting times”. While I always want a couple of new firearms, I need ammunition.

Subotai Bahadur on December 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I live in Colorado, I bought my wife a .380 for Christmas. Come and get me.

boomer on December 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

nonpartisan, pick up the Red Courtesy Phone…

Del Dolemonte on December 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

There are plenty of states that have already had this law in place for years. Their armed crime rate is no less than those that don’t. The best one could say about background checks is that they don’t do too much harm. The worst one could say is that they gives anti-gun politicians a mechanism to enforce whatever petty restrictions on gun owners their shriveled minds can come up with.

Socratease on December 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

jaywemm on December 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

My son-in-law bought me ammunition.

oldleprechaun on December 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Couldn’t find a Ruger sp101 anywhere.

Got a big brick of .45 for the 1911. 8D

Murphy9 on December 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Here in Texas, my sweet husband got me a Ruger 10/22 in pink. I love that man

Sekhmet on December 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Couldn’t find a Ruger sp101 anywhere.

Murphy9 on December 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

As a gun nut, just out of curiosity, why were you looking for a Ruger sp101? (I’m always interested in hearing peoples’ opinions on these things. I’ve never fired one myself.)

WhatSlushfund on December 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM

But now they’re walking around with registered guns? What a worthless stupid skank Rhonda Fields must be to ignore the sheer stupidity of her own comments.

And Chicago is a gun-free city where there is no such thing as homocide by shooting. Mr. Foote, you’re even dumber than Rhonda Fields!

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM

What’s up next, only selling booze in airline-sized bottles so that folks rioting can only make small molotov cocktails?

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM

And BTW Ms. Fields and Mr. Foote:

Don’t you think it is time to make people start registering their ceramic squirrels?

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) – South Carolina authorities say a 44-year-old woman angry at a man for returning home without beer on Christmas beat and stabbed him with a ceramic squirrel.

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Hope gun manufacturers sent DumDum a huge Christmas package. He been barry barry good to them.

msupertas on December 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Recently bought my daughter a Bersa Thunder 380 here in Colorado. Looking forward to voting out more anti-gunners in coming elections. The trick is not running crazy socons that can’t win general elections.

Bandit13 on December 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM

They pushed. We pushed back harder.

katy on December 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I guess I’m falling behind – I haven’t bought a new gun in at least 2 months. Gotta go see if Sportsman’s Warehouse is still having their sale on Ruger American rifles.

Here in Texas, my sweet husband got me a Ruger 10/22 in pink. I love that man

Sekhmet on December 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM

The last gun I bought was a purple laminated wood stock Ruger 10/22 for my wife. She loves that gun – especially since I put a scope on it – she’s right on target at 100 yards now with it.

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2013 at 11:40 PM

We got the guns earlier in the year, so Christmas this year was accessories – a couple Hogue zombie green pistols grips and 10/22 magazines for my wife, AK-47 rail mount and red dot scope for my son, Uplula AK magazine loader and multi-gun carry case for me.
Good times…

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM

SHALL

NOT

BE

INFRINGED

(JACKASSES )

TX-96 on December 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I found the first sentence amuzing
a 16 gauge over under?
who buys that caliber of shotgun anymore, ammo is like almost non existant.

get a nice 12 gauge pump, take the plug out and you have a 5 shot home defense weapon, and also you do not need no very expensive double ought buck for the home. 7.5 bird shot does the trick because you are shooting at an intruder at under 10 feet at max

think of the size of the average room, and you are at least 3 feet from the wall and the gun has another 2 feet and the intruder is not leaning aganst the far wall so you are down to under 8 feet between the muzzle and his torso. BOOM a hole the size of a golf ball —– game over

sniffles1999 on December 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Can the fact that weed will be legal in Colorado on jan first have anything to do with citizens buying more guns.

A good idea is to open a bar / smoke house within a quarter mile of the Colorado border (in Colorado) for all that out of state business that will drive in.

oh and also get a doritio’s franchise installed and a big pizza oven.

sniffles1999 on December 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Couldn’t find a Ruger sp101 anywhere.

Murphy9 on December 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

The GP100 is better anyway.

Dunedainn on December 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM

The GP100 is better anyway.

Dunedainn on December 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I had a GP100 for awhile. It really is a dream to shoot even with hot .357 rounds. The SP101 was going to be a gift.

The GP100 in stainless is really pretty.

Murphy9 on December 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM