Video: Connecticut man saves bald eagle

posted at 7:01 pm on December 24, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Just in time for Christmas, our national symbol is saved by a guy who puts him in an appropriately festive red fleece and drives him meet wildlife experts. Let’s hope that his quick action both saved the eagle and saves him from fear of prosecution by a federal government which takes none too kindly to citizens saving wildlife willy nilly.

Anyone else surprised how seemingly docile this eagle is? I don’t believe I’d have my face anywhere near that beak:

What started as a hike along a Utah ski trail turned into a rescue of one of the country’s most majestic creatures.

“We saw a bird just struggling to fly. Within a few seconds of us getting close, we could tell it was a bald eagle, so it was pretty shocking,” said Taylor Schulte, a Connecticut native who spoke to NBC Connecticut via Skype.

He helped to pick up the bald eagle. Schulte and his father-in-law wrapped it in a coat and took it to safety, not knowing what was wrong with the bald eagle.

Update: That is a Salt Lake City Olympics jacket. Well played, guy.

Update: Sorry, guys. I left this in draft form before I went to church, which is why it’s posting late. Apologies! I thought it had gone up. Merry Christmas!

Comments

Vid won’t play for me. Merry Christmas MKH…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Some federal nitwit to file nonsensical charges against them in 3…2…1…

Midas on December 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Way cool. Let a jury decide if the guy should save the bird if it comes to that. The guy is a hero for putting himself in harm’s way of the U.S. justice system.

HiJack on December 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM

It’s hard to fly under obozocare.

Flange on December 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Better clean vehicle out from loose Eagle feathers, otherwise it’s 60 months per feather.

BigAlSouth on December 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Some federal nitwit to file nonsensical charges against them in 3…2…1…

Midas on December 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM

While recent federal legislation allows windmill operators to outright kill hundreds of eagles per year.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

parke on December 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM

This guy will probably rue the day when he made this video when the jackbooted government comes to put him in jail for messing with an endangered species!

Warner Todd Huston on December 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Drop the bird and put your hands behind your back!

phxconservative on December 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Warner Todd Huston on December 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Maybe A&E could make a new reality series about his persecution and call it Eagle Legal or something.

Flange on December 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM

It’ll get slaughtered by a wind farm but the kid will be the guy will still be the prosecuted

jaywemm on December 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Merry Christmas MKH, …aka:The Hammer!!

canopfor on December 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM

=============================================================

No kidding, goons from Obama’s Justice Brigade are probably on there
way!!

canopfor on December 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Tastes like chicken.

Thats a joke NSA… a joke.

viking01 on December 24, 2013 at 9:20 PM

And on Thursday MKH will tell us how the EPA sent an armed SWAT team to Taylor Schulte’s home and arrested him for interfering with an endangered species.

William Teach on December 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Tastes like chicken.

Thats a joke NSA… a joke.

viking01 on December 24, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I always thought bald eagle tasted more like spotted owl (old Northwest joke)

rbj on December 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Well, I hope something was wrong with it even if it is just something minor … because it looked to me like the problem was the eagle was just in deep snow and there wasn’t anything that a clear takeoff area wouldn’t solve.

Still it was nice he helped out.

Dusty on December 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM

“Fry Up an Eagle,” by Tim Cavanaugh,

Genius.

arik1969 on December 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

viking01 on December 24, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I always thought bald eagle tasted more like spotted owl (old Northwest joke)

rbj on December 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

With snail darter stuffing?

viking01 on December 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

It’s entirely possible he might get off.

This may possibly help researchers find out what has been causing these eagle deaths.

LL

Lady Logician on December 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

They’d rather slaughter them willy nilly on wind farms.

rrpjr on December 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM

That guys exposed neck is waaaay to close to that wild raptor’s beak. I’m no expert but it seems like these guys are incredibly naive and lucky.

TexasDan on December 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM

This guy is screwed. Dickless from the EPA or whatever from Ghostbusters is gonna come get him.

ebrawer on December 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM

TexasDan on December 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Then it may relieve you to know that bald eagles aren’t true raptors. They will scavenge for food before they have to hunt, and that is a major reason that Ben Franklin didn’t want it for the new nation’s official symbol.

gryphon202 on December 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Lemme guess…he’s going to Federal prison and the Feds will have to kill the eagle in order to save it.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM

You dorks.

That eagle was just bummin. Look how happy he was to get a ride in the nice warm car with whitey.

He was lookin around like he was familiar with people and cars. Next month he’ll be pullin the asme shit.

arnold ziffel on December 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Good.

Merry Christmas!

David Blue on December 25, 2013 at 2:49 AM

TexasDan on December 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Eagles may be “lazy” raptors, but they are still raptors. And like all such birds, they kill with their talons. The beaks are for tearing small bits off the dead prey, which only works when the raptor has a firm grip with his feet, giving him something to pull against. I was once in a similar situation with a red-tailed hawk, a much smaller raptor. I was told on the phone by a wildlife expert to avoid the beak, but be DEATHLY AFRAID of the feet. He claimed that even an injured hawk could easily drive its talons completely through my arm, that is in one side and out the other side.

Humphrey on December 25, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Here’s another news article from CBS-Las Vegas via Druge about over a dozen Bald Eagles found dead in Utah; http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2013/12/23/wildlife-experts-perplexed-over-dozen-dead-bald-eagles/

NM Oso on December 25, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Why, that bird should be arrested and fined. It wasn’t wearing a seat belt.

petefrt on December 25, 2013 at 4:47 AM

I’d like to know what happened to the bird. Reading the comments to the original story, I have the feeling the feds put it down. :(

Blake on December 25, 2013 at 5:56 AM

if the bird was found in Utah, it might have been sick, several eagles in Utah have died from a mysterious illness.

RonK on December 25, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Any wild animal rescued, treated, and rehabilitated by man should not be released back into the wild, especially if they were sick and antibiotics were employed.

Robbin Hood on December 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM

If you really want to save bald eagles then work to destroy wind farms and prevent any new ones.

Nomas on December 25, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I rescued a red tailed hawk in my back yard this past summer and it was similarly docile. Perhaps when injured, the birds know we’ll help?

In our case, the bird was sitting on the ground near a tree and our dog had been barking at it. We removed the dog to the house and I put on a feeble attempt at protection by wearing a coat, safety goggles and leather work gloves. I had a blanket and a cardboard box ready. I went to capture the bird and he backed up and crammed himself against the tree and a fence. I draped the blanket over him and picked him up with no fight. From there he put up no fight as I put him in the box and then I took him to a bird rescue place which intubated him’ gave him an antibiotic and kept him overnight before bringing him to a raptor bird sanctuary St. Louis has.

Logus on December 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Thousands of bald eagles migrate to Utah each winter, with many gathering at the Great Salt Lake where there’s plenty of carp to eat in freshwater bays.

Mayor Bloomberg to send out a brigade of “nutrition police” to Utah, to claim that the salt in the Great Salt Lake on the carp is to blame.

JetBoy on December 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Alternate Headline:

“Connecticut Man Saves Bald Eagle; Gives Feds the Bird”

BigAlSouth on December 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I wouldn’t go near that bird for a million dollars.
That bird could have chopped that guy’s nose off in a second.

NeoKong on December 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Then it may relieve you to know that bald eagles aren’t true raptors.

Huh? Raptor just means “grabber.” Birds are not excluded from being raptors because they eat carrion, but because of their physiology and killing abilities.

They will scavenge for food before they have to hunt, and that is a major reason that Ben Franklin didn’t want it for the new nation’s official symbol. gryphon202 on December 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I will scavenge before I hunt too: at the Shop Rite.

Akzed on December 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Ho Ho Hope the guy doesn’t get a fed on his tail feathers for this.

Kudos to his good deed!

profitsbeard on December 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM

…he needed to throw the bird into the blades of a wind turbine…then there will be no worries!

KOOLAID2 on December 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

He should quickly erect a windmill and apply for a waiver. All that aside, they were lucky the bird didn’t take their eyes out with the talons. The golden eagle is at the top of the pecking order with balds next whenever there’s some roadkill for breakfast. After that, comes the ravens and if there’s anything left the coyotes and rodents take care of it. It’s natures way of taking care of the cleanup on aisle 9.

Kissmygrits on December 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM

There are more reasons than one why I have a Screaming Eagle tattooed on my right bicep. God Bless this man and his willingness to risk the wrath of Uncle Sugar.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on December 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM

From this story, it sounds like it may be a while before wildlife officials know for sure what is wrong with the bird.

It does not sound like they are hopeful it will live though.

LL

Lady Logician on December 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Its a hoax. That Eagle was not bald.

/armchair wildlife expert.

SparkPlug on December 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM

It does not sound like they are hopeful it will live though.

LL

Lady Logician on December 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Good article and video. He did seem to enjoy the car ride, tho…

Blake on December 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Cool story … can’t wait for the “Feds lock up Good Samaritan” epilogue. Sorry for the Christmas cynicism, but there are far too many examples for us to deny the reality — our Federal government can eff up a one-car parade.

Jaibones on December 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I fully expect the Fish & Game folks to come out any time now and .. kill the bird .. because it had too much contact with humans.

J_Crater on December 25, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Wonder how much time he will spend in federal prison for this?

Texas Zombie on December 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Epicness.

Bald eagles are awesomeness. Dude is epic.

thejackal on December 26, 2013 at 4:38 AM

I’d be terrified of getting pecked by that beak. That’s formidable weapon for an eagle. The bird must be in shock. Hope the bird turns out to be okay.

samurai7 on December 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I’m a little late to the party here, but watch the government bureaucrats gut this man. He did what they were supposed to do. Never, never show authoritarian bureaucrats that they are impotent or didn’t do their jobs.

Old Country Boy on December 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM

With all the food still staring at me from yesterday, I read the headline this time as “Connecticut man serves bald eagle.” Way too much food……..

GWB on December 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM

For those worried about the eagle attacking, they generally don’t. As stated, they prefer to scavenge when possible. I lived in Alaska for some time when I was in my 20′s and observed them in dumpsters and garbage cans all the time. They are so willing to get a free meal that it is possible to hand feed them. Of this I am sure but I will deny it if ever under oath. But I have to admit that the size of their beak next to your fingers when feeding them is a bit scary. Could easily take your finger off quickly.

BierManVA on December 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM