Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on December 24, 2013 by Allahpundit

The Obama administration said Tuesday that it would provide more time for people to sign up for health insurance if they could show that they missed the Tuesday deadline for applications because of problems with the federal health care website…

“If you weren’t able to enroll in an insurance plan by Dec. 23 because of problems you had using HealthCare.gov, you still may be able to get coverage that starts Jan. 1,” the administration told visitors to the website. “Even though we have passed the Dec. 23 enrollment deadline for coverage starting Jan. 1, we don’t want you to miss out if you’ve been trying to enroll.

“Sometimes despite your best efforts, you might have run into delays caused by heavy traffic to HealthCare.gov, maintenance periods, or other issues with our systems that prevented you from finishing the process on time. If this happened to you, don’t worry — we still may be able to help you get covered as soon as Jan. 1.”

***

New York and Massachusetts are following the federal health exchange’s lead and extending their sign-up deadlines for coverage starting Jan. 1, those programs’ directors announced Monday afternoon.

Other state exchanges, including the ones in California, Washington state and the District of Columbia, are offering general flexibility for individuals who started but couldn’t complete their applications by the 11:59 p.m. Monday deadline. Residents there will still be guaranteed coverage starting Jan. 1…

New Yorkers now will have until 11:55 p.m. Christmas Eve to choose a plan, said officials, who described “very high enrollment activity” Monday.

Massachusetts residents have even longer, until New Year’s Eve, to enroll and pay their first premium if they are receiving a federal tax credit. Those choosing Massachusetts Health Connector plans who are not eligible for federal subsidies also benefit from the new Dec. 31 date and have through Jan. 10 to pay their initial premium.

***

“The amazing, ever-expanding deadline? It’s clearly a sign of desperation by the administration to do everything they can to increase the number of people signing up,” said health economist Gail Wilensky, who ran Medicare for President George H.W. Bush…

The insurance industry, too, has pushed back deadlines for payment, with most health plans allowing customers to pay by Jan. 10 and still get retroactive coverage to Jan. 1.

“With deadlines that keep changing, insurers want to alleviate confusion,” said Robert Zirkelbach, spokesman for America’s Health Insurance Plans. “Health plans are going to do everything they can to help consumers with the enrollment process.”

***

For a law that’s faced automatic Republican resistance from the start, the ball fumbling since Oct. 1 that President Barack Obama has repeatedly acknowledged hasn’t helped.

The president and his aides say every announcement has been the result of being responsive and flexible, trying to make the law work for everyone. But at this point, the administration appears to be demonstrating that it lacks either a full sense of what implementing health care entails, or a full sense of the kind of blowback that each shift in the rules, however small, will generate…

“This latest delay marks the third major change since Secretary Sebelius testified on Dec. 11 when she was asked point blank what changes were in store over the holidays, and she was mum. And yet, another day, another delay,” said Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee and a frequent critic of the law. “While the holiday surprises have become commonplace, the latest extension is another disappointment for the ‘most transparent administration in history.’ As we celebrate Christmas and prepare to ring in the New Year, we continue to ask, ‘what’s next?’”

***

Furman continued: “We’re obviously making — it’s not a Plan B — Plan A is to do the most aggressive enrollment efforts you can, with young people, using social media. You see the insurance companies doing paid advertising. It’s in the insurance companies’ interest to sign these people up.” Beyond relying on a social media campaign, Furman argued, the work done by private business on behalf of Obamacare could be critical. “We’re doing everything we can, but I think unleashing the private sector and the large amounts they’re going to spend on advertising might be even more important,” he said.

Schneider was still curious. “But you have no particular backup plan?”

“There’s a Plan A,” Furman answered. “Which is to enroll as many young healthy people as you possibly can.”

***

It now seems possible that no one will be paying the mandate penalties in 2014. Having exempted some groups from the mandate already, it will be politically difficult to start enforcing it on others. And, looking further into the future, why should we think Democrats will suddenly crack down and enforce the mandate in the run-up to the next presidential election?

This part of the law is like an unpopular, insecure person at a family reunion, who is walking on eggshells and making concessions right and left for fear of offending anybody. In the age of the Internet, people are used to decentralized systems and maximum personal choice. The mandated elements of Obamacare may look good on paper and they may be necessary to get the plan to work, but they probably can’t survive the public sense they are illegitimate.

Governing in an age of distrust is different than governing in an age of trust. Government now lacks the legitimacy to impose costs on losers, so politicians face unprecedented pressure to create situations in which everybody looks like winners. Government lacks the legitimacy to coerce. People like Social Security, but I bet you that Congress could not pass a Social Security law today. If people were unfamiliar with the concept, you couldn’t pass a bill that said: Government is going to confiscate money from each paycheck and spend it on other things, but don’t worry because you’ll get it back decades from now when you retire.

The erosion of the mandate won’t kill Obamacare over all. It’ll just make it much more expensive for the government.

***

The individual mandate is the heart of Obamacare. From the president on down, administration officials believe that without the mandate, the system won’t work. So the one thing the public hates most is the one thing Obamacare can’t do without. For many Democrats, voting against the mandate, even delaying the mandate, is tantamount to repealing Obamacare altogether. They can’t do it, no matter what the voters think.

That’s a political problem for Democrats and an opportunity for Republicans. In a private exchange not long after the implementation fiasco began, a senior House aide said GOP strategy is to “separate Obama from Congressional Democrats” on the issue of Obamacare. One way to do that is for the GOP to use its control of the House to force Democrats, all of whom face re-election next November, to re-affirm their support of the mandate.

More than 50 Democrats have arrived in the House since March 2010, when Obamacare became law. Fifteen Democrats have come to the Senate since that time. Will their devotion to a law they didn’t pass be as strong as that of more senior Democrats, who fought the original Obamacare battles?…

Republicans held dozens and dozens of votes on Obamacare in years past when the public had little idea what was at stake. Republicans warned that Obamacare would be a disaster, but voters didn’t know what was coming. Now, they do. Maybe it’s time for the House to start voting again.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

2014. The year ObamaCare melts down all the way to china.

SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM

SparkPlug:Yups:)
================

MOVIE TRAILER THE CHINA SYNDROME 1979
**************************************

canopfor on December 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM

canopfor on December 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Moonbeamm was a fool when we first had him as governor way back when. He is a bigger fool in his dotage. So glad I shook the CA dust off my heels in 2005…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

ps: Me and Lanceman love Scrumpy not each other.

SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Nevermind all that hogwash! Where is Sophie?

Lanceman on December 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

canopfor on December 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I’ve never seen it. I didn’t want to see what the Hollywood Left would do to her.

INC on December 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I should have stuck to cheap beer, because this good wine is lighting me up.

wolly4321 on December 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Stille Nacht…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM

That was absolutely lovely.

Our own church choir sings a wonderful compostion of “Silent Night” at our Midnight Mass. It brings me to tears.

onlineanalyst on December 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

onlineanalyst on December 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

God the Holy Spirit moves in mysterious ways…
Merry Christmas

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 9:41 PM

You can’t shine $hit.

VorDaj on December 24, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Even Revlon doesn’t have enough lipstick for this pig.

VorDaj on December 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM

nevermind all that hogwash! Where is Sophie? Lanceman on December 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

In the bottom of a pit. Putting lotion on, lest she gets beat with the hose.

But I wish her merry tidings too.

wolly4321 on December 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Lanceman on December 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

She can’t say.

TXUS has here tied up with duct tape. He fessed up.

SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM

canopfor on December 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

OmahaConservative: It least your out of that rats race:)

canopfor on December 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM

SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Poor Sophie.

Lanceman on December 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Christmastime

whatcat on December 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Poor Sophie.

Lanceman on December 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Where is she?

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM

even Revlon doesn’t have enough lipstick for this pig. VorDaj on December 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Why,, whatever do you mean?

wolly4321 on December 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Where is she?

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Damfino.

Lanceman on December 24, 2013 at 9:49 PM

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Damfino.

Lanceman on December 24, 2013 at 9:49 PM

She hasn’t been around. Well that doesn’t tell you much but I never tell you much anyway.

ps: try to cheer up Axe. He is suffering in her absence. He writes bad poetry and bad checks ever since she went missing. But now he uses verbs at least.

SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 9:51 PM

canopfor on December 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM

INC on December 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

INC:)

They focused on her husband, and her alleged
(Alzheimer’s & Dementia).

Alzheimer’s & Dementia

canopfor on December 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM

[Tim Zank on December 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM]

I can’t stop laughing at that …

… maybe he meant the Chinese government.

Dusty on December 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM

On my best Christmas I got a Winchester 9422. Scoped. Slinged.

Helluva rifle. For a kid.

wolly4321 on December 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM

bwahahahahahahahaha

OH THAT’S RICH

I’m ‘sposed to try to apply on a site that I know don’t work and imput sensitive personal information on a site I know is so unsecure that I might as well post a you tube video with my personal info….. I GOT 2 WORDS 4 DAT…. phuck ‘em

roflmmfao

donabernathy on December 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Did anyone get a gasoline powered nose hair trimmer? I will buy it from you. Couldn’t find one anywhere. The shelves were picked clean.

SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I’m off, to spend time with the boss,..er wife!

Again, everyone have a Bless’d Christmas————————-
—————————————————–:0

canopfor on December 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM

wolly4321 on December 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Mmmmmm…

Marlin Model 60 for me. Though it was on my twelfth birthday instead of Christmas.

That was standard birthday present for boys in our family when they reached the age of responsibility. I figured I was responsible enough when I was six…

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM

HealthCare.gov ‏@HealthCareGov 10m
Reports of extended deadline are incorrect: it’s tonight at midnight. If you sign up on HCgov tmrrw, insurance starts 2/1, not 1/1.

kcewa on December 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Evening everybody.

Gifts are wrapped and dinner is served. Fox Family Christmas on FNC. It’s all good.

Tomorrow it’s off to my sister’s house for Christmas stew, gifts, and fun with family. I love this time of year.

Christmas–It’s what makes winter bearable.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

predator on December 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM

anyone get a gasoline powered nose hair trimmer? I will buy it from you. Couldn’t find one anywhere. The shelves were picked clean. SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I know a few models. You can edge your yard, too.

wolly4321 on December 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I yank my nose hairs out one at a time. It tickles and brings tears at the same time…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I know a few models.
wolly4321 on December 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Blondes?

whatcat on December 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM

From my ethnic tradition: Polish Christmas carols, beautiful photographs of the country, foods and festivities

Merry Christmas, all!

onlineanalyst on December 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Makes me sneeze.

wolly4321 on December 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I used to burn mine off with a butane lighter, but the smell of burning hair became too much to handle.

predator on December 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Makes me sneeze as well. I like sneezing…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM

predator on December 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

As the years pass, the hair stops growing where you want it and starts growing where you don’t.

whatcat on December 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM

whatcat on December 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Man, ain’t that the truth…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM

whatcat on December 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM

As the years pass, I get fatter but my hair gets thinner.

whassupwitdat?

predator on December 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I hope you’all have a happy,happy,happy Christmas.

God knows I took it for granted for too long.

Seems like there’s a shift. People miss the simple times,, at least a little hit.

Hug your family.

You are all in my prayers.

wolly4321 on December 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM

whassupwitdat?
predator on December 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I guess it’s a trade off of sorts.

whatcat on December 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM

wolly4321 on December 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM

We need to take back our country…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM

We need to take back our country…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM

At least there are signs we’re starting to fight back. Phil Robertson v A&E, Palin and Breitbart raising hell about ESPN dropping the commercial for a hospital because it referenced God and Jesus, and causing ESPN to reverse that decision.

Our problem is that the old “silent majority” stayed silent for so long. The noisy minority gained the perception of being the majority. If we start making our own noise, we can win a lot of battles and get rid on some of the insanity that permeates this country.

Of course, the courts are often stacked against us, but that’s another fight to be fought.

predator on December 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM

predator on December 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Damned right. I am no longer silent…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM

It’s Christmas Eve, I’m feeling no pain, and I feel like some Michael Shenker. I’m a product of the 70′s and I like Michael Shenker. Merry Christmas and Rock on brothers.

tommyboy on December 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Remembering my dear aunt who burned to death and died on this day three years ago.

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Merry Christmas to my Hot Air peeps. Ya’ll keep me sane in ObamaWorld, you make me laugh, smile and many times I gigglesnort at some of your posts.

May your Blessings Be Many and Your Worries Be Few.

KWR

LOL

Key West Reader on December 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

So sorry…

Key West Reader on December 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Remembering my dad who died this summer and never got to meet his grandchild.

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM

A commenter at The Hostages said he saw this bumper sticker the other day:

“My child is an honor student, but my President is a moron”

I want one. I really, really want one.

predator on December 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

In the midst of joy there is yet sorrow. I’ll say a prayer for her, and you.

OC- the hymns are wonderful. Thank you.

To everyone else; Thanks for being here. HA is one of the few sane harbors in an uncertain universe.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

cheers and Joyeux Noel

eon

eon on December 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

That is terrible…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM

eon on December 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM

It is my pleasure to share the Good News of The Gospel of Jesus…

OmahaConservative on December 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Sophie wishes everyone Merry Christmas or, as she said, “Mm-eh Ghm-muh.” Best she could do through the duct tape. ;-)

TXUS on December 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the Hot Air peeps.

Happy Hanukkah to all our Jewish Friends. (ALT and all).

Rarely post but have learned so much from the regulars here in the five years I’ve been reading. Thanks so much!

(good to see you again B9)

Barred on December 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Key West,

Near Tampa n saw a shop with my aunt’s very rare name, reminding me of her.

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Near Tampa n saw a shop with my aunt’s very rare name, reminding me of her.

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I am near Tampa myself. What is the name of the shop?

Key West Reader on December 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I want one. I really, really want one.

predator on December 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I think you can create your own on Cafe Press but am not 100% certain…

Key West Reader on December 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM

eon, OC,

Appreciate it. God bless.

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Merry Christmas, gassers. You are good people.

msupertas on December 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Key West,

Hasna salon in St. Pete’s. Only my second time ever in FL and my very first day in SP.

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Cuz you just can’t enough!!

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Well, I wish you all the best. There are a few regs on here from Floriduh.. Bishop is in Orlando I think and Cindy is up in Jax. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Maybe God sends little “signs” to let you know that those who have passed beyond our realm are still with us – it’s the truth.

Best wishes to you and to your family.

Key West Reader on December 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM

And one more!!

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM

hehehehehehehe cuz I can!!

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM

last one ;)

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM

For my Daughter Courtney Everett Smith, who passed away too soon

Keep the Faith.

Key West Reader on December 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Key,

Thanks. I hope 2014 is good to you and yours. Sorry for being a downer during the holidays.

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Christien on December 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM

You are not a downer. Try your best to keep the faith, and to see that Life never really ends – it does live on. I hope you stay well and wish you the best.

Key West Reader on December 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM

For all who serve and have served!! Hoooahhh!!

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Key West Reader on December 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM

So sorry for your loss…

God Bless you and your family :)

Merry Christmas!

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Merry Christmas!

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Blessings to you as well, my HApeep.

Key West Reader on December 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

A baby cried his newborn cry…
Wrapped in swaddling clothes so torn…
On that holy night so long ago…
When Jesus Christ was born…

Three Wiseman saw the shining star…
And followed to where it led…
They found the Baby Jesus…
Lying in a manger bed…

He was born our Lord and Savior…
He is with us every day…
He listens to our every word…
And so to him I pray…

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Stuffed with various interpretations of the word “enchilada,” I came home and surfed to see if anything was on TV. Surfed by something interesting. It turns out any stories in the Bible featuring Joshua are complete bunk.

So — Skipping to the chase and truncating my surfing adventure — Be prepared for a temper tantrum that attacks the whole concept of Biblical authority. That’s the form the “putting their foot down” is apparently going to take. Turns out nothing in it is true, nothing can be taken literally, and so on.

*yawn*

. . . all cause one redneck is too stupid to lie on command.

I think I hate enchiladas.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HOT AIR PEEPS!

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Merry Christmas!!

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM

** SWOOSH **

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Scrumpy on December 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I really liked your poem. It spoke to me. (:

SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Merry Christmas!

Murphy9 on December 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM

How did an enchilada get through the bucket slit? How?

SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Hi M9.

M8B (magic 8 ball) says merry Christmas.

SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM

How did an enchilada get through the bucket slit? How?

SparkPlug on December 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Don’t hassle the fat white guy making down your chimney or take his stuff. The stuff is needed by waifs.

He can do without his wallet, I suppose — but remember to leave the bag alone.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Leave him some good pipe tobacco. He’s a smoker.

Axe on December 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Merry Christmas to all at hot air.

portlandon on December 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM

<– Scored awesome Chew.bacca t-shirt.

Axe on December 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Queen – “Jesus”

It all began with the three wise men
Followed a star took them to Bethlehem
And made it heard throughout the land
Born was a leader of man
All going down to see the Lord Jesus
All going down to see the Lord Jesus
All going down

Anti-Control on December 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Oh, good. I was afraid we taxpayers might have to pay for this. /LIV

KS Rex on December 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM

For All You Zima Drinkers Out There: “Walkin’ Round In Women’s Underwear”…

“Later onnnnn, if ya wanna — we can dress like Madonna…..”

williamg on December 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM

“Jesus Is Just Alright” by:

The Art Reynold Singers

Anti-Control on December 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM

The Byrds

Anti-Control on December 25, 2013 at 12:58 AM

The Doobie Brothers

Studio version

“The Midnight Special” 1975

Anti-Control on December 25, 2013 at 1:04 AM

SMOKE some Crack with Mich-ael Irr-vin!

Fa-La-La-La-La, La-La-La-La!

FROM The Law he’s twistin’, swervin’

Fa-La-La-La-La, La-La-La-La!”

williamg on December 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Hey Portlando got the 12:00 time stamp. Nailed it. (:

SparkPlug on December 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Robert Randolph & The Family Band (w/Eric Clapton)

Anti-Control on December 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM

From onlineanalyst’s link

Lest we forget: exactly four years ago today, Senate Democrats rammed through what would later be called ObamaCare, on a purely partisan vote, ignoring warnings it would be a BFD (big future disaster). On Thursday, December 24, 2009, the New York Times reported on the week:

The vote on Monday, in the dead of night, was 60 to 40. The vote on Tuesday, just after daybreak, was 60 to 39. And the vote on Wednesday afternoon, at a civil hour but after less-than-civil debate, was 60 to 39 again — an immutable tally that showed Democrats unwavering in the march to adopt a far-reaching overhaul of the health care system …

The health care legislation was approved Thursday morning, with the Senate divided on party lines — something that has not happened in modern times on so important a shift in domestic policy, or on major legislation of any kind, lawmakers and Congressional historians said. The Democrats flaunted their unity on Wednesday at a news conference with nearly their entire caucus in attendance.

God bless America!

—————

Merry Christmas one and all.

Schadenfreude on December 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Maybe the NSA got Sophie.

Schadenfreude on December 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Angels beating all their wings in time
With smiles on their faces and a gleam right in their eye
Whoa, I thought I heard one sigh for you
Come on up now, come on up now, come on up now

May the good Lord Shine A Light on you, yeah
Make every song you sing your favorite tune
May the good Lord shine a light on you, yeah
Whoa, like the evening Sun