Once more, with feeling: “Die Hard” is not a Christmas movie

posted at 4:01 pm on December 24, 2013 by Allahpundit

The eternal debate is raging anew on Twitter this afternoon, so let’s spend a few more minutes exploring why you’re all wrong about this. Simple question: Has anyone ever said to themselves, “I’m in the mood for a Christmas movie. I know — I’ll watch ‘Die Hard’”? No, they have not. Lots of people have said to themselves, “I’m in the mood for an action movie. I know — I’ll watch ‘Die Hard.’” Lots of people have also said to themselves, “I’m in the mood for ‘Die Hard,’ period.” That’s how singularly awesome and culturally ubiquitous the film is: Sometimes you’ll get a movie itch and nothing else but DH will scratch it. But — and this is the key point, worth (re)emphasizing — the fact that “Die Hard” is an exceptional movie set on Christmas Eve does not make it an exceptional “Christmas movie.” If it does, then the fact that McClane’s heroism is all about reconciling with his wife should, in theory, also make DH one of the great romantic movies ever made. I wince as I write that, knowing that now the “Die Hard” superfans are going to say, “IT IS ONE OF THE GREAT ROMANCES EVER MADE.” But of course, it isn’t. The romantic subplot is useful in humanizing McClane, making an already likeable character even easier to root for. But ultimately it’s window dressing for what truly makes “Die Hard” great, just like the Christmas elements are.

I’ll grant the “‘Die Hard’ is too a Christmas movie” crowd this much: Genres shouldn’t be defined too rigidly. The traditional “Christmas movie” as most people understand it is a cavalcade of warm-fuzzies in which the hero ends up receiving a gift that somehow re-shapes his or her life. That’s the gist of “It’s a Wonderful Life,” “A Christmas Story,” and of course the eight thousand filmed versions of “A Christmas Carol.” Usually the gift involves newfound appreciation of one’s family, but not always. (A classic TV version of the “Christmas movie,” I think, is the Art Carney/Santa episode of the “Twilight Zone.”) But if you think that’s too narrow a definition, okay. I’m open to the idea of defining “Christmas movie” more broadly. Just tell me how “Die Hard” does that. Most of the arguments for including the movie in the canon are either superficial, like McClane’s journeys in the elevator shaft supposedly mimicking Santa coming down the chimney, or too narrowly tied to the traditional genre themselves, like claiming that McClane’s reconciliation with his wife is somehow important and Christmas-y after two hours of him kicking the sh*t out of terrorists. Who cares if they reconcile? The payoff of the movie isn’t the reconciliation, it’s McClane killing the villain by dropping him off a skyscraper. To claim otherwise is like arguing that the payoff in “Star Wars” isn’t Luke blowing up the Death Star, it’s the scene right after where they come back to base and hug. By that logic, if Chewbacca was wearing a Santa hat during the medal ceremony, “Star Wars” would be a Christmas movie too. If you want to argue for DH as part of the Christmas canon, go broadly genre-buster with it — “Christmas is all about joyful exuberance and overcoming evil, and that’s exactly what McClane does!” Not “well, he writes ‘ho ho ho’ on a dead guy’s shirt in one scene, so, hey.”

One more thing. If DH’s “Christmas movie” status hinges on the family subplot, of McClane trying to reconcile with his wife on Christmas Eve, why make him a cop? That signals two things to the audience: First, that he knows his way around weapons and possesses enough courage around bad guys that his exploits are kinda sorta believable, but more importantly, that he’s a guy who’s used to protecting the public and would probably stay and battle Hans even if his wife wasn’t there. Right? Does anyone think McClane, having discovered that his wife left the party before Hans and his crew seized the building, would have simply slipped out a window and gone home rather than stood and fought? Of course not. Nothing would have changed. He would have killed Hans and rescued everyone anyway, because that’s just the sort of ass-kicking mensch he is. And — get this — he would have done it even if it wasn’t Christmas Eve. Christmas doesn’t matter. The wife doesn’t matter. All that matters is that McClane is awesome and unbeatable. Which is why every video store in America stocked “Die Hard” in its “action” section, not its “Christmas” section.

Here’s “Red Eye” debating this very important question a few days ago. Good point from Joe Concha: What kind of respectable “Christmas movie” sets an office party on Christmas Eve? No one would be there. C’mon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

when your boss is a billionaire you too might be this christmas party on christmas eve.

rob verdi on December 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM

be at…

rob verdi on December 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Once more, with feeling: “Die Hard” is not a Christmas movie

Not even for us godless atheists? Pretty please?

M240H on December 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM

HO HO HO
NOW I HAVE A MACHINE GUN

Your argument is invalid.

DarthBrooks on December 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Ace’s arguments to the contrary are far more compelling.

besser tot als rot on December 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM

If it hadn’t been Christmas he wouldn’t have been there in the first place. BAM!

Now go make fists with your toes.

WitchDoctor on December 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Anyone who doesn’t think Die Hard is the holiest of holy Christmas movies is unAmerican…or something.

neoavatara on December 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Next he’s gonna tell me that the Star Wars Holiday Special isn’t a Christmas movie….

irishgladiator63 on December 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM

… said the atheist.

RoadRunner on December 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Derp Hard

Stu Gotts on December 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

This is an argument by people who think they are being cute. Here are the facts.

A Christmas movie is one whose plot and themes are reliant on being set during Christmas. Die Hard’s existence is not reliant on being set at any particular time of the year…the same goes for every Shane Black film ever made and most other “non Christmas” Christmas films. What is the other end of the spectrum? Home Alone is a good example of a Christmas film: the story, the themes, and important pieces couldn’t exist in the middle of June.

Sammo21 on December 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You can keep on yelling it all you want Allah.

Die Hard will remain one of the best Christmas movies of all time.

mythicknight on December 24, 2013 at 4:15 PM

It the BEST EVAH!

AsianGirlInTights on December 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM

“If this is what Christmas is like, I gotta be here for New Years…”

Die Hard IS a Christmas movie…

Kuffar on December 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM

You’re the mod. It’s whatever you say it is.

vityas on December 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Both Die Hard and Die Hard 2 are set around the holidays.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I haven’t even started drinking yet. Once I have, we’ll get into this and give it the attention it deserves.

I also want to talk about the greatest American actress: Tori Spelling.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM

“I’m in the mood for a Christmas movie. I know — I’ll watch ‘Die Hard’”?

Been there, done that. Of course, I’ve also done it in July.

This bugs you more than the “God” thing.

Be of good joy though, the Duck Commander guys will do something Christmasy and then all the bases will be covered.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

And it’s “coke.” –For later.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

But. . . but . . . but. . . Bruce Willis gives the terrorists gifts! True, they are small pieces of lead at high velocity, but it’s the thought that counts, right?

rbj on December 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Sammo21 on December 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You can write Christmas out of Home Alone just as easily as you can write it out of Die Hard.

CrankyTRex on December 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM

And “Monty Python” is the most overrated body of “meh” in the history of the world.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I also want to talk about the greatest American actress: Tori Spelling.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM

That was pretty dang funny.

WitchDoctor on December 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I haven’t even started drinking yet.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I’m so torn up after the Krauthammer religion thread I started early today. I intend on being passed out by the time NORAD tracks Santa to the western hemisphere.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I’ll wait for the Sharknado sequel set at Christmas… Rudolph the Red Nosed Great White…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

And the answer is Ginger. And the real answer is Jeannie.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Neither hold a candle to Yvonne.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

AP – I take it you don’t think tomorrows Dr. Who is a Christmas special either.

RickB on December 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM

That was pretty dang funny.

WitchDoctor on December 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I’m just trying to help AP out. :)

Bet we can turn 37 comments into 370, and have a Merry Christmas doing it, with the right emphatic statement. :)

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM

“A Christmas Story” is actually an amalgam of short stories, only one of which really has anything to do with Christmas, but it is cleverly used as the “main” story and the others woven around it.

Perhaps the purists can explain how putting your tongue on a frozen metal pole relates to Christ.

This whole “controversy” is a joke. It’s like Henry Kissinger said of academic politics, that they are “so vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.”

Adjoran on December 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Slow news day, indeed.

Meryl Yourish on December 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM

WTF? A second thread on this? For crying out loud it’s any kind of damn movie you want it to be. What are you, a Commie?

NotCoach on December 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Hans shot first!
Oh, wrong debate.

Flange on December 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

“This is Christmas music!”

Al Hall on December 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Sammo21 on December 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

CrankyTRex on December 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I don’t think we’ve seen the same films. Home Alone is specifically about Christmas the holiday. The kid is left alone while his family goes on Christmas vacation so he is forced to experience the holiday by himself. He also has to discover, for himself, what Christmas is about to not only him but others. He even celebrates Christmas on his own. Die Hard simply takes place during Christmas and has absolutely nothing to do with the holiday from a religious or a secular point of view. So no, you cannot easily write it out without making a completely different film. Die 2, 3, 4, and 5 show how you basically make the same film 5 different times and that the holiday has no bearing on the content.

Sammo21 on December 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM

NotCoach on December 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

A- The first thread really bugged AP

B- Really slow news day and AP cannot remember the URL for NORAD’s Santa tracker.

C- A little of “A”, a little of “B”.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM

It is a Christmas movie. Very much a part of my Christmas experience.

annyinboulder on December 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM

. . . not that it’s beyond my family to get into a knock-down, drag-out over Tori Spelling. And it’s my duty to give it a go. :)

Hans shot first!

Flange on December 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Damn right he did.

NotCoach on December 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Some things are important. Besides, this is as close to a nativity scene as Allahpundit is capable of, and he’s trying to be nice to us Hot Air Christian people.

“A Christmas Story”

Adjoran on December 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM

3rd worst movie ever made.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM

All this begs a look at the scenario posed by Crash Davis: do you open your presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? I suspect people who do the latter don’t think of Die Hard as a Christmas movie, while those of us in the former naturally consider it a Christmas movie. Crash was clearly in the “no” camp.

King B on December 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I dunno:

when I say to myself “I’m in the mood for a Christmas movie my top 3 are usually Independence Day, Battle LA, Die Hard, and Pacific Rim.

I don’t really know why.

WryTrvllr on December 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

DarthBrooks on December 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM

With a Santa hat no less.

For some it is and for some it’s not.

It is at my house.

Oh the weather outside is frightful
and the fire is so delightful…

dogsoldier on December 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I don’t really know why.

WryTrvllr on December 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

lol :)

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Ok so that was 4 but I forgot my all time favorite

War of the Worlds

It just hits me right there.

WryTrvllr on December 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Neither hold a candle to Yvonne.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

De Carlo?

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Totally a Christmas movie.

Rational Thought on December 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Then NONE of the Santa movies are about Christmas, either.

John the Libertarian on December 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Huh?

Die Hard was mediocre. I don’t know where this idea that it was some stellar piece of work came from. Yeah … it had numerous sequels, but so did lots of really awful movies – and the Die Hard sequels really blew chunks (the few minutes of them that I managed to watch.

I don’t know … Die Hard was just another movie. Not a great movie. A fun movie, but not that fun. So-so.

If you are hanging out with anyone who says, “I’m in the mood for Die Hard” … find some other people to hang out with.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Lily is okay, but c’mon…you can figure it out.

Tight purple Lycra, green make-up.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM

lol :)

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM

And I just started the festivities!

WryTrvllr on December 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Dude, it IS a Christmas movie. Just ask Hans’ baby brother.

Steve Eggleston on December 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM

WryTrvllr on December 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

lol :)

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM

3 or 4.

Flange on December 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Boy, I would have never taken Allahpundit as such a sore loser…sad.

Blake on December 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM

the hero ends up receiving a gift that somehow re-shapes his or her life.

Ho, ho, ho. Now I have a machine gun.

trigon on December 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM

A- The first thread really bugged AP

C- A little of “A”, a little of “B”.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM

But mostly “B”.

Steve Eggleston on December 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Die Hard was just another movie.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM

^ Complete crap.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Steve Eggleston on December 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Maybe Allah’s been hitting the ‘eggnog’ already…

trigon on December 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Tight purple Lycra, green make-up.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I’m not one to judge another man’s habits.

But back on topic. Who’s this Yvonne person?

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Hans shot first!
Oh, wrong debate.

Flange on December 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Hans did shoot first. John, being the upstanding cop he is especially around Christmastime, waited to shoot second.

Steve Eggleston on December 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I really don’t like action films….but Die Hard is oNe of the exceptions!

terryannonline on December 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

the hero ends up receiving a gift that somehow re-shapes his or her life.

Ho, ho, ho. Now I have a machine gun.

trigon on December 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Don’t forget the explosives and the detonators.

Steve Eggleston on December 24, 2013 at 4:55 PM

^ Complete crap.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I feel sorry for you :)

You want a good movie? Unthinkable. Now, THAT’s a good movie! (in spite of having Samuel L Jackson in it)

Or you could go with Sunshine, a great sci-fi flick that details why you should never take leftists on any critical mission as a subplot – though I’m sure Danny “Dancing Socialist Health Care Beds” Boyle didn’t intend that, which makes it all the better!

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 24, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Aww see Allah, you miss the point. People, put in extraordinary circumstances, who then do extraordinary things, REGARDLESS of whether we should be able to expect it of them isn’t the point.

The point is he lives up to our expectations.

That makes him reliable, like Santa.

The fact that half of LA bites the dust is a minor bonus, like finding the Atocha.

WryTrvllr on December 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Poor

deprived

boy

Lots more but I seem to remember something about a three link limit.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Come out to the coast, we’ll get together, have a few laughs…

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ ‘̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/’̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

According to you neither It’s a Wonderful Life nor The Christmas Story are Christmas movies because Clarence would have still saved George Bailely’s life and Ralphie would still covet the official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle if both movies took place in February. Bah, humbug!

Blake on December 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Callisto

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Sammo21 on December 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM

The family could just as easily have been going to Disney World for Winter Break in February, and it would be the same movie. He’d still kick the crap out of the thieves and realize he doesn’t actually wish his family would disappear.

You would, however, lose some of the magic to the movie, just like Die Hard 2 loses some of the magic from Die Hard 1 because Die Hard 2 actually is a movie where Christmas is incidental rather than integral.

Die Hard 3, 4, and especially 5 (because it totally sucked) are different movies. They’re essentially buddy cop movies.

CrankyTRex on December 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Some pretty decent eye candy.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Unless Bruce Willis employs an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle it’s not a Christmas movie.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Virginia Hey, a woman before her time.

Lingerie football time that is.

cozmo on December 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Disagree AP. Die Hard is teh best Christmas movie evah!!!

ladyingray on December 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM

That was probably the greatest Christmastime Christmas Movie Argument of all time even if it was against a movie being a Christmas Movie. I vote that it be posted every Christmas in celebration of Christmas Movie Arguments at Christmastime.

Dusty on December 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Blake on December 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

CrankyTRex on December 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM

ladyingray on December 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM

^ Reasonable and thoughtful people.

Sammo21 on December 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 24, 2013 at 4:55 PM

AP

^ Completely insane.

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM

So, AP is Internet’s Andy Levy.

Arnold Yabenson on December 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Dusty on December 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM

2nd. :)

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Whoever says DieHard is not a Christmas movie is an ignorant and BLIND America Hating dingbat.

=)

TX-96 on December 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Why?

Because I’m an American and Americans watch Christmas movies at Christmastime…and I watch Die Hard at Christmastime.

So…

Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

And…I have a machine gun.

Ho Ho Ho!!

Solaratov on December 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Steve Eggleston on December 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

It’s just a shoot first kind of a name.

Flange on December 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Solaratov on December 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Now if he could just find ammo for his new toys, it would be a Christmas classic.

WryTrvllr on December 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM

MERRY CHRISTMAS, STEVE EGGLESTON!

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Not only is Die Hard a Christmas movie, so is Die Hard 2.

kit dinker on December 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM

O!

Merry Christmas, AP!

Axe on December 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM

What’s the best Yom Kippur movie ever? Fast and Furious?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on December 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I. Don’t. Care.

(And if God has no meaning for you, then zombies can’t either. No God – No souls – No zombies)

Knott Buyinit on December 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM

So, AP is Internet’s Andy Levy.

Arnold Yabenson on December 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I’ve heard rumors that AP IS Andy Levy.

BigWyo on December 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM

“It’s Christmas, Theo. It’s the time of miracles. So be of good cheer… and call me when you hit the last lock.”

Case closed.

Hayabusa on December 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I have.

Your point is disproven.

You’ve never watched “The Apartment”?

Socratease on December 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Despite your REPEATED and frankly tedious attempts, Die Hard is in fact a Christmas movie. A Christmas Classic!

And for the record, the infamous Star Wars Christmas Special isn’t a Christmas movie. It’s a Life Day movie!!!

Darksean on December 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM

So, AP is Internet’s Andy Levy.

Arnold Yabenson on December 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I’ve heard rumors that AP IS Andy Levy.

BigWyo on December 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM

He’s sounding more like Andy Rooney tonight.

Socratease on December 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Two points:

1. What’s a “video store”?

2. Many video stores will only have a “Christmas” section around Christmas time, and I’ll bet you find “Die Hard” in most of those Christmas sections, even if they spend the rest of the year in the Action section.

Kensington on December 24, 2013 at 5:52 PM

OT: NBC is showing “It’s A Wonderful Life” tonight! Happy happy joy joy!

Kensington on December 24, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Of course Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

“Now I have a machine gun. HO, HO, HO”

“You ask for miracles, I give you the FBI.”

Hera on December 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM

You wrote this post last August, didn’t you?

SomeCallMeJohn on December 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I’m listening to Christmas songs right now and just heard Beethoven’s Ode to Joy before reading this post and immediately thought of Die Hard. Now if it had been a banjo version, I’d have thought of Raising Arizona but it wasn’t. Take that for what it’s worth.

jnelchef on December 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM

What does Phil Robertson think it is, an action flick or a Christmas movie? I’m with him.

TXUS on December 24, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Of course Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

“Now I have a machine gun. HO, HO, HO”

“You ask for miracles, I give you the FBI.”

Hera on December 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Theo: “All right, listen up guys. ‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except… the four assholes coming in the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation.”

LoganSix on December 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Of course Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

“Now I have a machine gun. HO, HO, HO”

“You ask for miracles, I give you the FBI.”

Hera on December 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Theo : “All right, listen up guys. ‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except… the four … coming in the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation.”

LoganSix on December 24, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Another

Hans Gruber: Theo, are we on schedule?
Theo: One more to go then it’s up to you. And you better be right, because it looks like this last one is going to take a miracle.
Hans Gruber: It’s Christmas, Theo. It’s the time of miracles. So be of good cheer… and call me when you hit the last lock.

LoganSix on December 24, 2013 at 6:11 PM

YES IT IS ! THE BEST CHRISTMAS MOVIE EVER.

Rook on December 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM