Sen. Rand Paul airs grievances with government on Festivus

posted at 8:01 pm on December 23, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Our buds at Twitchy flagged this yesterday and it’s fun enough for a thread:

In honor of the annual Seinfeldian airing of un-merry grievances, GOP Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky gave readers a heads-up late Sunday night that he’ll be unleashing a series of anti-D.C. tweets tomorrow.

Well done to Paul for choosing a schtick the Internet can’t resist to speak out for the blessings of liberty:

Thank you, Sen. Paul for taking this non-blowhardy tack to spread the word about policy issues you care about. There are good ways to talk about politics over the holidays and there are bad ways. This > Pajama Boy.

Comments

I despise government employees. Most military excluded.

Mr. Arrogant on December 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I despise government employees. Most military excluded.

Mr. Arrogant on December 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

How about the civilian agencies that protect our soldiers?

unclesmrgol on December 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM

LOL. I liked the hair one. Dude should just shave his head, it will end speculation.

WhatSlushfund on December 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Bravo.

joekenha on December 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Rand Paul wins Twitter!! He is all kinds of awesome.

rockmom on December 23, 2013 at 8:16 PM

My Dad auctioned off this car instead of giving it to me. http://t.co/WcJKiJbAcf pic.twitter.com/sArpHLKmhW

— Senator Rand Paul (@SenRandPaul) December 23, 2013

LOL

I like this guy.

ElectricPhase on December 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Very cool.

RedNewEnglander on December 23, 2013 at 8:33 PM

That made me smile.

Anna on December 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I don’t get it, MKH. It’s Christmas on Hot Air. What’s this post have to do with homosexuality, atheism, or Chris Christie? :)

Meh — I’ll read it again, but

Axe on December 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Love it – the car one and Turtle tunnels made me laugh out loud.

gophergirl on December 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Love it – the car one and Turtle tunnels made me laugh out loud.

gophergirl on December 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM

In response to some of your tweets, there will be no feats of strength, and I have no plans to end Festivus by wrestling with Senator Reid.

Back to Grievances…

^

Axe on December 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

..it’s hard not to like the guy!

KOOLAID2 on December 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM

On Festivus, I bow down to worship you Aqua Buddha, I worship you.

Read More http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2010/08/gq-exclusive-rand-pauls-crazy-college-days-hint-theres-a-secret-society-involved.html#ixzz2oLxEyOcP

Shaughnessy on December 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Nothing screams Carter Administration like the Chevy Chevette!

Galtian on December 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM

In Washington, “bipartisan deal” is a synonym for “increasing our debt”

Preach it, brother.

Paul-Cincy on December 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Really smart guy. Great sense of humor. About 15 years ago at a small dinner for the Texas Republican House delegation, he showed up with his father, and the Pauls along with Tom Delay sat at our table. He had everybody in stitches, one quip after another, and yet some very insightful stuff but presented in friendly, fun manner. Like 43, he is far better one-on-one than on the tube.

TXUS on December 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Nothing screams Obama regime like the Chevy Volt. Overpriced, underperforming, high maintenance and explodes without warning. Wait, I think that describes my first wife too. :)

simkeith on December 23, 2013 at 9:21 PM

This > Pajama Boy.

A tuna fish sandwich > Pajama Boy.

Sockpuppet Politic on December 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Shaughnessy on December 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I don’t really care. I trust he’s grown up since then. Many people did stupid things in college. Heck, even our own President lacks a spotless record as far as that’s concerned.

Othniel on December 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM

All great points, and made with perfect comic timing, if that can be said about a twitter feed. I love his dry sense of humor.

juliesa on December 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Some good stuff, some utter nonsense, which is par for the course when you are dealing with a Paul.

Blaming the Fed for grocery and gas prices is just stupid. Ag subsidies, ethanol requirements, and environmental regulations account for most of the inflated prices.

~~~

Those who “oppose the Fed” have an obligation to tell us how they would replace it. It was given the responsibility of managing the currency in the first place when Congress and the President realized neither was up to the job, politics and cronyism would inevitably color every decision.

Gold standard? First, where do you get the gold? There is not enough in Fort Knox to back what we have in circulation, so do you deflate (a truly insane idea, instant depression) or use a “fractional standard” – which Gold Bugs have railed against for 100 years? Recall that when we had a gold standard, we had more recessions, bank panics, inflation, and the Great Depression, so it is hardly a panacea.

Giving the power to Congress or Treasury invites the problems we understood a century ago. They just cannot do it and should not be entrusted with it.

For several years before the FRB took over at his death, US monetary policy was essentially set by a single private citizen, J. P. Morgan, after he single-handedly saved the country from depression in the Panic of 1907 by cajoling his fellow multi-millionaires to put up their own money to shore up the system.

Adjoran on December 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Great stuff Rand.

Dang, I’m lusting after that lime green Chevette. I had a taxi cab yellow Chevette in college I bought for $450, drove it for a year and sold it for $550. Best car deal I ever did.

bigjack on December 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Nothing screams whacko like celebrating Festivus. Only ones around here who do it are lib pothead.

Kermit on December 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Losing interest in you, Rand. You’re weak tea.

rrpjr on December 24, 2013 at 12:30 AM

ok so we must do amnesty to get “latinos”. guess we have to do THIS to get idiot 20 somethings who foisted obamacare on us to “like” us. great.

t8stlikchkn on December 24, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I like the fact that Rand Paul doesn’t take himself too seriously;
at the same time taking the constitution and bill of rights very seriously.

Amjean on December 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Audit the Fed

John the Libertarian on December 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Rand Paul will be a serious contender in 2016…regardless of what most Republicans think

Young people adore him. Not to get to them polls for the primary

Redford on December 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Adjoran on December 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM

What makes you think that recessions and the buisness cyle is bad? They represent cyles of growth and readjustment as a civilization’s technology and sociology progress over time. FED policy kills economic growth civilization wide in order to protect the stability of high wealth investors.

Resolute on December 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM

reduce the deficit. Paul vs. Reid pay-per-view. Would bring in billions.

djaymick on December 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM