Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on December 22, 2013 by Allahpundit

Cracker Barrel has become the first sponsor to cut bait with “Duck Dynasty” … but not entirely.

The Southern-themed food chain reacted to Phil Robertson’s anti-gay comments by removing “selected products which we were concerned might offend some of our guests” from their stores and restaurants…

C.B. offers this explanation … “We operate within the ideals of fairness, mutual respect and equal treatment of all people. These ideals are the core of our corporate culture.”

***

Cracker Barrel execs have cracked after just one day … lifting their ban on Phil Robertson’s merchandise … and it’s the ultimate hypocrisy.

A CB rep now says the company had no choice but to cave after “Duck Dynasty” fans blasted them via email, phone and social media…

Cracker Barrel now says, “You told us we made a mistake and you weren’t shy about it … you flat out told us we were wrong.”

And this is precious … They say, “We apologize for offending you.”

***

A Change.org petition demanding that Robertson be reinstated and the network issue an apology was steadily climbing toward 100,000 signatures Friday.

A separate petition at a website called IStandWithPhil.com makes a similar appeal. Hosted by the online community Faith Driven Consumers, the website helps its members spend their money with companies that fall in line with their spiritual beliefs. The petition on IStandWithPhil.com had surpassed 130,000 signatures by Friday evening…

“While the LGBT community may be offended by his opposing viewpoint,” that webstite continues, “your rash, discriminatory, and unfair treatment toward Mr. Robertson — a recognized symbol of the faith community — is a slap in the face to Faith Driven Consumers and everyday Americans alike.”

***

A source close to the family, who asked not to be named, told MailOnline: ‘You have to ask yourself, why this interview happened and why it ever became public. Someone from A&E was there and was aware of the kind of answers Phil was giving.

‘But despite that, they didn’t ever try to stop it or control it. Instead, they let it hit the headlines and then released a statement condemning it…

‘We believe they were also uncomfortable with the family’s insistence that there would be a strong religious presence in the show. They knew Phil was the driving force behind this and we think they have used this situation to bring him in line so they could steer the show back down the path they originally intended for it.

‘But they may have underestimated how united the family are and how committed they are to their beliefs. They also didn’t realize how much support Phil would get from the public, so things have backfired on them.’

***

We’re told A&E CEO Nancy Dubuc felt she could not in good conscience ask gay employees to kill themselves for a show when he disrespected them by calling them sinners.

Our sources say … gay employees involved in the production — and there are a number of them — were outraged by Phil’s comments to GQ and wanted Dubuc to give him the ax.

We’re told Dubuc felt this way … If Phil had made similar comments about African Americans or Jews … there would have been a public outcry for his head. She felt it was just plain wrong not to have the same sense of indignation when the comments were directed at gays.

Our sources say GLAAD was heavily involved in lobbying the network to 86 Phil, and they had an impact.

***

“Duck Dynasty” will NOT go homeless if A&E decides to pull the plug … TMZ has learned, at least two other networks are salivating at the chance to pick up the popular reality show.

The owner of the popular Christian-affiliated Hunt Channel — a guy named Merrill Sport — tells TMZ, he’d pick up DD in a heart beat … and would beam the show straight to its most loyal viewers: sportsmen and Christians.

He says, “We believe in the 2nd amendment and freedom of speech … A&E needs to put on their big boy pants, and if they don’t like the programming, they need to either let [DD] go or shut up and pay them.”

***

[O]ther Bible experts said the Scripture Robertson cited isn’t quite clear about homosexuality.

“A lot of people misread this text because it’s so complicated,” said O. Wesley Allen Jr., an associate professor at Lexington Theological Seminary in Kentucky…

Liberals say that some parts of the Bible offered particular truths for a specific times and places but those times and places, as well as human understanding of sexuality, have progressed dramatically.

“The Bible may be divinely inspired, but its authors were human and saw, as St. Paul puts it, through a glass darkly,” said Jim Naughton, a Christian gay rights activist and communications consultant. “On the subject of homosexuality, the Bible doesn’t mean what Phil Robertson thinks it means.”

***

“(Evangelicals) are very upset at A&E for pulling the plug,” said Brody, who’s the chief political correspondent for the Christian Broadcasting Network. “You don’t mess with Duck Dynasty and evangelical Christians.”

Brody told Megyn Kelly that of the 85 million evangelicals currently in the United States, only a quarter of them vote, leaving the door open for liberal groups to take advantage at the polls.

“This is a gay rights lobby that’s a well-oiled machine,” Brody said. “They have the money and they have the passion. Are evangelicals going to match the passion? At this point, they haven’t, but Duck Dynasty might change that.”

***

Having grown up living in a trailer — but having never, ever watched “Duck Dynasty” — I feel uniquely qualified to say this: Enough with the trailer-trash TV shows

Growing up, my brothers and I (even my baby sister) worked with Dad; he was a pipeline welder. Many of those guys were the salt of the earth, but others could barely read or write. And some of their views, their language, their morals were, to be kind, coarse. What we wanted, and what my parents wanted for us, was to rise above that. So we went to college.

And now I turn on the TV and see that the vulgarity, the racism, the sexism, the crudeness I encountered as a youth is not only being broadcast but celebrated?

No thanks.

***

The appeal of the show comes from the surprising normalcy and likability of the family. The men might dress like the cast of Easy Rider, hunt almost daily, and make millions in their business, but the show emphasizes the Real America part of their lives rather than only focusing on the cast as developing celebrities. The conflicts on the show emerge from issues average Americans face: helping your parents with their will, teaching your kids to drive, losing weight for your high school reunion, sibling rivalry among brothers, and struggling to find the right Christmas present for your wife. Ask any fan why they love the show, and you’re likely to hear, “The Robertsons remind me of my own family.”

This is the odd thing about current reactions to the show from those who don’t typically watch it. While the Duggars preach and Sarah Palin shoots in the wilds of Alaska, their actions seem calculated to make a political or religious point. By comparison, the Robertson’s Christian faith is just one component of the show. Like many Americans, the lives of the Robertsons revolve around their church, kids’ activities, work and family get-togethers. Because of their honesty about struggles with alcoholism, drugs and overcoming poverty, the Robertsons demonstrate that it is possible to have a close, traditional family unit in modern times without relying on government handouts.

The threat of the Robertsons isn’t in Phil’s politically incorrect comments. The threat is that this family has figured out how right-wing politics and Evangelical Christianity can influence pop culture without being the punch line or the bad guy.

***

There are two Americas, one of which is better than the other. And it’s instructive who’s sticking up for the worse America.

The conservative politicians who are complaining that Phil Robertson’s firing flies in the face of “free speech” are generally smart enough to understand that Robertson doesn’t actually have a legal right to be on A&E. When Sarah Palin and her cohorts talk about the importance of “free speech,” they mean something much more specific: That the sorts of things that Robertson said are not the sorts of things a private employer should want to fire someone for saying. That they are, or ought to be, within the bounds of social acceptability.

But they’re wrong. The other America—the America I live in—has this one right. Racist and anti-gay comments and comments disparaging of religious minorities are rude and unacceptable and might cost you your job. It’s not OK to say that gay people are “full of murder.”

***

If Robertson were the hapless hick he was intended to be, he probably could quote controversial Bible passages without getting the boot. But viewers like him, and GLAAD can’t allow Americans to like a homophobe. He is in the rare position of being an entertainer who was fired for being too popular.

It’s more than that, though. Phil Robertson was fired because the overlords of liberal media can’t handle the idea that a professional funny man might come out of the back woods of Louisiana with a long, unkempt beard and a shotgun. It’s ridiculous to them to suppose that he could be deserving of the same license that they extend to the much-ballyhooed “creative class.” In dozens of denunciations on Robertson’s “coarse, offensive” remarks on sexuality, almost nobody notes the obviously relevant fact that Robertson is a humorist.

This controversy is as much about anti-redneck prejudice as it is about anti-Christian prejudice. America shouldn’t stand for an entertainment industry that permits and perpetuates this kind of bigotry.

Via Right Sightings.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Schadenfreude on December 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM

The right person with the right message can\will change things..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I have a ‘bet’ with someone, I need to know of a good newspaper on the Right, the bet is which side will vett the upcoming candidates for Prez on both sides, fairly, yeah I know lol…

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:26 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 23, 2013 at 1:19

I’m glad your weather has been better than ours. I lost a huge old river birch. It was sad to watch it shatter, one trunk at a time.

thatsafactjack on December 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Shaaattered?….

williamg on December 23, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh page 5 bishop!! ;D

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM

williamg on December 23, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Good evening, williamg. :)

More like Robin Trower “Shattered”.

thatsafactjack on December 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM

….okay….THAT was Obvious……call me “Captain Obvious“….

williamg on December 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM

TXUS on December 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Sorry I misunderstood..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I’m with Scrumpy. Let’s form a group.

SparkPlug on December 23, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM

If it’s Hills or any RINO like Christy, well I know the left media will go bonkers in their ‘fairness,’ if it is Cruz or someone like him, they will fall over themselves to be nasty…

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Dire Straits on December 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Good evening good Sir!!

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM

SparkPlug on December 23, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I knew you would be :) ty

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Nothing Takes The Place Of You – Tab Benoit

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on December 23, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Yeah, there’s no real truth to any of that. CNN writing on religion is apparently no more capable of getting anything right than Time or Newsweek, whose religion columns were always embarrassingly bad.

There Goes the Neighborhood on December 23, 2013 at 1:23 AM

CNN writes about religion just like retired car mechanics write about open-heart surgery.

Myron Falwell on December 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Quantum physics proves there IS an afterlife claims scientist

Very interesting article, and an even more interesting book.

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Schrödinger’s cat rejoices.

whatcat on December 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM

…..been saying that ever since I had to take “H-Bomb” and read J. J. Thompson, Werner Heisenberg, de Broglie, Schrödinger and Wolfgang Pauli…..not to mention George Gamow and Johnny VonNeumann…

williamg on December 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM

We have to be a HUGE .Org.

A massive online presence.

We need to be published a mag or monthly thing.

We need offices.

A Flag.

An Logo.

A Motto.

A constitution.

Non profit.

oh what else?…

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:34 AM

SparkPlug on December 23, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I’ve heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2013 at 1:34 AM

thatsafactjack on December 23, 2013 at 1:31 AM

God Bless and be safe and well

Good Night Dear Lady!!

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Myron Falwell on December 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM

rofl..That is hilarious!..:)

Dire Straits on December 23, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Our Book: Sun Tzu, The Art of War…

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Good evening, williamg. :)

More like Robin Trower “Shattered”.

thatsafactjack on December 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Heh-Heh!….BOY – I wish he’d come back out on tour!…

williamg on December 23, 2013 at 1:39 AM

War Cry

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:39 AM

God Bless you, Girl!

williamg on December 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Massive Haka

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:42 AM

williamg on December 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Thanks!!

We need to adopt a Haka for ourselves, looks scary good eh?!! :)

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:46 AM

williamg on December 23, 2013 at 1:39 AM

he’s a good’un that one

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Have always loved this one by Trower

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:48 AM

One pure God

One pure thought

One pure mind

One pure nation

One pure law

One for all

All for One

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:51 AM

This Crazy lady is Gone!!

Good Night…

God Blesses us all!

* beep beep *

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Comrades, friends, we are gathered here as an edifice of the great glory that is now vanishing before our very eyes and the intuitive feeling, based on the assumption as Mencken once proclaimed, “He who underestimates the American public will never go broke.” This is merely a small indication to behold and to perceive that which has gone way into the behind and to that which might project .. I mean go forward … out of the mouth … i mean .. the future…we’ve got to rip up America’s health care so we can rip down those inconvenient medical advancements of the last century! This is the main detergent … I mean main deterrent … upon which we have gathered our strength and to all the others who say, “What the hell will that get?” – We don’t yet know completely.

Clearly today we must all be gravely aware that political expediency and democrat survival and power takes precedence over rule of law and constitutional procedure. However you say – WTF ! – what the Hell does this mean… in relation to the tabulation whereby we must finally realize that the great transformation story is being rehearsed before our very eyes, in the rise of Barack Hussein Obama… indicating that only a two-faced … I mean a fork-faced … I mean a bi-faced … I mean a bi-polar … I mean a bi-racial man can receive…the award for complete national transformation.

And as Miller once said in one of his great novels- what did he … that new language is only necessary when political communication is endangered. And you sit there bewildered, and Pinter who went further said “It is not the lack of new communication, but fear of new age communication.” That’s what the damn thing is that we fear – new age communication – especially all the Obama new age communication that’s on every damn TV station now! Damn it! And through all this Nancy Pelosi has attained, and has created for herself serenity, and it is only her senility that is keeping her alive in her insanity.

Moving right along in my brief remarks … … Ladies and Gentlemen, Peeps and Peepettes, Rulers and Ruled, the time will soon come when a first world America will outlive its usefulness. Marx, either Groucho or Karl, I can’t remember which, maybe it was both or maybe it was Harpo, once said that America is the opiate of the people. I say that when America outlives its usefulness and becomes a full Marxist nation, then opium…will be the opiate…Ahh that’s not a bad idea… we are going to need that badly especially if all the booze runs out while Obama is still Pharoah … I mean still President…

Barack Obama’s – DOWN WITH AMERICA – is a small contribution to a certain degree, since there are over seven billion people in the world today. 315 of them … million live in the United States which is a very, very small amount compared to those who will be miserable and enslaved and dying elsewhere…Well, I say that you will be on the road to new horizons, for we who live in a society where political office is a commodity and a politician can become a Cult Leader and very wealthy, it’s not easy to conform if you have any morality at all…I, I, I said that myself many years ago…

I would like to stay here and chat all night, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, and I want to thank the founding fathers for all the sacrifices they made however much they were probably in vain.… In closing I want to thank Professor Irwin Corey and again thank you ……

RasThavas on December 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM

williamg on December 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Thanks!!

We need to adopt a Haka for ourselves, looks scary good eh?!! :)

Scrumpy on December 23, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Tribal AWESOMENESS!!!

williamg on December 23, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Good for them. You can’t tolerate hatred and still run a business.

Panther on December 22, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Christians need to tolerate homosexuals.

But homosexuals don’t need to tolerate Christians. Instead, Christians need to censor themselves to make sure they don’t offend homosexuals.

I think we’ve all got it now. Your work here is done.

Well, unless you had a goal of changing anyone’s mind. In which case, your work here will probably never be done.

There Goes the Neighborhood on December 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Keep a positive attitude and mock the opposition, as A-C says.

Schadenfreude on December 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM

“mock,” at the minimum!

The Novas – “The Crusher”

Anti-Control on December 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I don’t remember what you said
I’m gonna leave the past behind me
All those lies inside your head
Took my hand and led me blindly

I’m gonna try my best move
I’m gonna leave you Way Behind Me
I’m gonna try my best move
I’m gonna leave you way behind me
I want to go
I want to leave
I want to grow
I want to breathe

I didn’t want to be your fool
Took my hand and so unkindly
Cut me down with words so cruel
I’m gonna leave you way behind me

Anti-Control on December 23, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Good morning HA

safe travels to those heading out to loved ones this week…

Enjoy!!

cmsinaz on December 23, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Good morning to the wonderful morning crew at HA!

esr1951 on December 23, 2013 at 6:04 AM

rattner shows another chart showing the US has the worst income inequality….
the new meme for 2014 it seems…

cmsinaz on December 23, 2013 at 6:15 AM

cmsinaz on December 23, 2013 at 6:15 AM

This will be the theme of the new year. Let’s see if Obama can screw up private assets and private retirement money the way he has screwed up health care.

esr1951 on December 23, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! And, Trolls.

Take heart, Christian Americans! There are more of us than there are of them. – KJ

My take: “Sunday in America: Cracker Barrel Apologizes, Puts Duck Dynasty Merchandise Back. Commander Phil Leads Bible Class.”

kingsjester on December 23, 2013 at 6:40 AM

I’m proud to say that I complained to CB. I still won’t go to their places for a long time.

I’m proud to say that I got in on this one too.

I’m fed up with these gay fascists. I’ve had enough.

BuckeyeSam on December 23, 2013 at 6:47 AM

esr1951 on December 23, 2013 at 6:33 AM

guaranteed….

cmsinaz on December 23, 2013 at 6:50 AM

kingsjester on December 23, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Yeah, the backlash against A&E has been gratifying. Though, I would suggest that neither A&E nor GLAAD get it. GLAAD came out this weekend and actually suggested that this could be turned into a teachable moment for the Robertson family if they were to sit down with Louisiana gays and talk about what Phil Robertson said. Note the nuance. GLAAD, the hateful intolerant group no better than neo-nazis or the KKK, thinks the teachable moment is the Robertsons.

And BTW, I don’t know what Cracker Barrel was thinking. If any national restaurant chain would epitomize Duck Dynasty, it would be Cracker Barrel.

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 6:50 AM

kingsjester on December 23, 2013 at 6:40 AM

excellent take KJ

Merry Christmas!

cmsinaz on December 23, 2013 at 6:53 AM

rattner shows another chart showing the US has the worst income inequality….
the new meme for 2014 it seems…

cmsinaz on December 23, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Well, what do you expect when you have an administration who has spent the last five years looting the country like a Louisiana Walmart during an EBT outage? Political cronies (Solyndra, UAW, SEIU, NEA, and all the other usual suspects) have been winners. The American taxpayers and middle class have been the losers.

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 6:50 AM

exactamundo HN…those who should be sitting down have no concept of what they are actually saying…

cmsinaz on December 23, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 6:54 AM

you’re not kidding HN….

cmsinaz on December 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM

cmsinaz on December 23, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Merry Christmas, ma’am! …And, thank you!

kingsjester on December 23, 2013 at 6:57 AM

The analogy between race and religious faith, on one hand, and homosexual conduct, on the other hand, is a complete crock.

Do you have a choice in race? No. Does race involve conduct? No.

Do you have a choice in religious faith? Though many are raised in various faith systems, as adults, they ultimately have a choice and are responsible for their choice. Nevertheless, religious faith generally doesn’t involve conduct considered objectionable to society. Society isn’t going to stand by and allow religious conduct calling for child sacrifices.

Homosexual conduct is in a different class. Human sexuality is a complex concept/topic/trait, whatever. Have we isolated a gay gene? Evidently, there’s something in one’s makeup that triggers the same-sex attraction. Still, attraction (thought/feeling) and conduct are two different matters.

In the end, this equal protection notion that some courts are now extending to homosexual conduct is a complete crock. Objecting to their conduct is entirely appropriate, and objecting to policies, such as SSM, that promote their conduct is entirely appropriate too.

BuckeyeSam on December 23, 2013 at 7:00 AM

But they are sinners, as am I. But I’m not insisting that the federal and state governments memorialize my sins in public policy, and I’m not demanding that schools celebrate my sins in their school curricula taught to students of any age.

Gays simply don’t want you talking candidly about what it is that they are really all about: high-risk sexual conduct that necessarily involves either fecal matter or foreign objects. That’s conduct left to the bedroom. But it’s not conduct to be memorialized and promoted in public policy or celebrated in schools.

BuckeyeSam on December 23, 2013 at 7:08 AM

If this is true, it’s a pathetic reflection on the GOP that it can’t herd them to the polls to put a stop to this nonsense.

Either start voting to put a halt to this gay-fascist wave or get ready to start substituting rainbow flags for American flags.

BuckeyeSam on December 23, 2013 at 7:12 AM

BuckeyeSam on December 23, 2013 at 7:08 AM

A couple of thoughts here beyond the religious context.

So, if I understand the above statement correctly, A&E is actually being run by lower-level homosexuals who are employed as part of the network’s most popular “reality” show. It isn’t as if Phil Robertson even treated the A&E gays with disrespect. They just don’t like what he said. I suspect that part of what was going on is legal advice to Dubuc that the gays would be suing for hostile workplace if A&E did nothing.

Secondly, I think that A&E didn’t get the show they thought they were getting. They thought they were getting yet another mocumentary like Honey Boo Boo or Dance Moms- shows were the super smart people in Manhattan and Los Angeles could sneer and feel superior to swamp people and trailer trash. Instead Duck Dynasty gave them something else……. A real family that viewers can identify with. And those gays A&E sent to West Monroe to mock really didn’t like it when they found out that they’re the ones who are the intolerant jerks, not the Robertsons.

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Exactly.

kingsjester on December 23, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Got a few different comments

First,
Freedom of Speech is not just for liberals

Second

How can the GLAAD community be offended by a show they dont watch.

Third

To demand someone be fired from thier job because you dont like them commenting on your lifestyle is CENSORSHIP, Period

Fourth
The man is a conservative Christian, who has strong beliefs and does not bother other folks

and finally

This is Blatant 1984 by the extremist Gays.

sniffles1999 on December 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM

“A Christian Gay Rights Activist” is a contradiction in terms.

kingsjester on December 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM

How long would it take for DD to form up its own, private company to make a program (or multiple programs) and get them on?

Imagine, if you will, that the family decides that they want a show that is actually edited by them to get their own message across without a network filter production company to do that for them. Perhaps they would do a Kickstarter project or go with one of the other on-line contribution VC organizations to get funds. They could also appeal to their fan base for advisory help, production help and help in getting things organized.

Their distribution system might or might not be cable TV, and there are venues that would welcome them in a heartbeat. Perhaps join up with one of the outdoor channels or The Blaze, as an example. Or they could go via total on-line subscription base via Amazon Prime or Roku. How much would fans pay to get the DD production company offerings per year? The Blaze subscription is $100/yr and worth it to a large audience, so would a production company working on shoe-string distribution get annual subscribers at $25/yr plus a catalog of things made by the family for purchase? Do remember that Pawn Stars made 1 oz. silver coins with the Old Man on them out of a large silver bar, and now has to get more made to meet demand… and they do make a profit on sales… but those coins from that original block are special to the fans of the show. DD could do far more than that, of course, and actually have educational materials available done by the family…

We are on the verge of the break-up not just of the MFM but the idea of a ‘network’ that will gain editorial control over programs through their production companies. No one would take up Rick Harrison on multiple program ideas he offered to the Alphabet Soup MFM and got on the History Channel with his 3rd or 4th idea… as a known quantity would he be able to shop those ideas to get them started, if he had the time? In less than a decade we have gone from Alphabet Control under PC to a large star-up network that existed at its start with a pure subscriber base started at $20 million in The Blaze. Back in the late ’70s that same $20 million got you CNN with barely enough content to do a cable news program with a very limited audience and low production values. The Blaze started high tech and offered a good portion of its programming for free via global Internet distribution. That $20 million isn’t worth as much today, but it does a whole lot more with what is available, that’s for sure.

I’m guessing a DD production company could do it on a budget of less than $1 million and use either low cost/free on-line distribution or go through one of the alternative on-line/cable networks. With fan input to what they would like to see there would be more ideas to choose from once the company is started and you don’t have to try all or them or any of them… but the feedback and insight would have an effect, even if it was just moral support.

I watch, perhaps, 6 or 7 programs a week.

If they were private companies offering that material via subscription I would take what I now pay for 5,000 channels and divide it up to those companies, and keep on the look-out for new programs that appeal to me. I am ready to kiss ALL OF THE NETWORKS good-bye, forever, and step into the 21st century of television and supporting what I like directly without the ‘help’ of a network with PC editors and production companies. If I want the stories of people or just good shows, I’m willing to support them directly because that is the future of television and it is opening before our very eyes. It is time to cast off the MFM view of Networks as King: Content is King and always has been.

I will pay good money for good content.

Will you?

ajacksonian on December 23, 2013 at 7:57 AM

OT-

Local talk radio host just told about his trip to LA on Friday.

You all should know that Fridays in particular are great for pol watching at DC’s airports. Well, the talk radio host got on his flight and discovered that Barbara Boxer was sitting in first class as he passed by. Then Ted Cruz got onboard. Cruz sat in coach.

I think that says an awful lot about what we should think about Cruz.

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Merry Christmas, by the way. No disagreement, and not really a quibble. But a short response. If you’re A&E, the response should be that there’s no disrespect, so what’s the problem?

Besides, here’s what I don’t get. Liberals flood the TV airwaves with sewage and tell Americans, just turn the channel. Here, a GQ article, which is run in a second-rate publication that’s part of a far less ubiquitous medium than television, actually describes the basis of homosexuality–for men at least–and gays are screaming as if this article is required reading of every American.

Don’t like it? Don’t buy the magazine. Contrary to what weak-kneed RINOs are saying on Fox News Sunday, Robertson said nothing offensive. Gays are up in arms because their carefully guarded identity as warm-and-fuzzy panda bears is being revisited for what they really are.

They are the toothless rube in the woods making Ned Beatty squeal like a pig in Deliverance. Eeeee, eeee!

BuckeyeSam on December 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM

BuckeyeSam on December 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM

IMO, the issue is far past what Phil Robertson actually said or where he said it. It’s become about the right to say something without censorship from intolerant hate groups like GLAAD.

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM

What kind of CEO lets a few employees working on the most popular read the most money making show on cable tell her how to run the business? Move those complainers to another show or fire ‘em if their conscience won’t let them work on DD. Ms. Dubuc you are there to make money for your company and stockholders not run a diversity clinic for your employees. Ditto with CB. You know how much money you’re making by selling DD products. This should have been a business decision. Enough with this we don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. Oh, and the Bible is the inspired word of God. There is no maybe to it. The passage Phil quoted was from 1st Corinthians and it was to people in a town that was full of iniquity and sin. Sounds to me like Phil was preaching to a choir.

Kissmygrits on December 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I don’t disagree, but your point seems to concede the point that “well, his comments were offensive” or “well, he could have put that more politely.”

Nonsense, what’s warm and fuzzy about sodomy?

BuckeyeSam on December 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Whoopie can say vajayjay and everybody laughs, but let Phil say the word correctly and everybody says his speech is offensive and crude. Men still do prefer women but after teaching kids that they might like to be gay and just don’t know it, it’s no wonder our birth rate is down. God loves the sinner but hates the sin.

Kissmygrits on December 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Seems cracker barrell realized who thier CUSTOMERS are that purchase their rustic knick knacks and eat there.

you dont see many elitist liberals or gays stopping in for chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravey, or roast beef.

but you do see a lot of middle class folks eating there.

sniffles1999 on December 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM

oh and also where are the cracker barrell restaurants anyway

not on haute ashbury street in san fag frisco

or on park avenue in NY

where you will find them are in FLYOVER america near shopping malls. The smelly middle class areas. that the liberal elite look down upon

sniffles1999 on December 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM

How can the GLAAD community be offended by a show they dont watch.

sniffles1999 on December 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM

They choose to. It’s great for fund raising.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Funny. I didn’t see the worry over idolators, adulterers and philanderers being called sinners. I’m sure it was just an oversight.

More seriously, how effing pathetic must your life be that the idea that someone disapproves of you is enough to give you the vapors? Holy crap.

Physics Geek on December 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM

How about this – have a Duck Commander duck call at the ready at town hall meetings, or any time a member of congress / WH shows his face.

What do you think of big government “QUAAAAAK- QUAAAAAK- QUAAAAAK”.

esblowfeld on December 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM

but you do see a lot of middle class folks eating there.
sniffles1999 on December 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Usually right after Church. It’s as if nobody from Cracker Barrell ever asked, “Where do all those people come from who show up every Sunday usually starting around noon?”

tommyboy on December 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM

“GLAAD came out this weekend and actually suggested that this could be turned into a teachable moment for the Robertson family if they were to sit down with Louisiana gays and talk about what Phil Robertson said.”

That COUlD be a teachable moment if only they would listen to what Phil has to say.

tommyboy on December 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Happy Nomad on December 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM

…good post!

KOOLAID2 on December 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

we’ll keep our beautiful, inclusive, modern cities like SF, where i live and was proud to vote for President Obama

DBear on December 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Bet your butt-cheeks are cold in those assless chaps…what with all that “gorebull warming”.

btw…SF smells like an open-air urinal. You people should do something about that.

Solaratov on December 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM