Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on December 21, 2013 by Allahpundit

A rough count puts the number of [ObamaCare] delays enacted by the administration over the last year in double figures.

From the employer mandate to the online enrollment system for small businesses, the deferrals have substantially changed how the law will operate in 2014.

What has remained largely untouched is the individual mandate. Most people will still be required to carry health insurance next year or face fines.

But even this bedrock principle of the healthcare law was slightly modified this week.

***

The individual mandate includes a “hardship exemption.” People who qualify can either ignore the individual mandate altogether or purchase a cheap, bare-bones catastrophic insurance plan that’s typically only available to people under 30…

Today, the administration agreed with a group of senators, led by Mark Warner of Virginia, who argued that having your insurance plan canceled counted as “an unexpected natural or human-caused event.” For these people, in other words, Obamacare itself is the hardship

This puts the first crack in the individual mandate. The question is whether it’s the last.

***

What an incredible political turnabout. Mr. Obama and HHS used to insist that the new plans are better and less expensive after subsidies than the old “substandard” insurance. Now they’re conceding that at least some people should be free to choose less costly plans if they prefer—or no plan—and ObamaCare’s all-you-can-eat benefits rules aren’t necessary for quality health coverage after all…

Pulling the thread of the individual mandate also means that the whole scheme could unravel. Waiving ObamaCare rules for some citizens and continuing to squeeze the individual economic liberties of others by forcing them to buy what the White House now concedes is an unaffordable product is untenable. Mr. Obama is inviting a blanket hardship amnesty for everyone, which is what Republicans should demand.

The new political risk that the rules are liable to change at any moment will also be cycled into 2015 premiums. Expect another price spike late next summer. With ObamaCare looking like a loss-making book of business, a public declaration of penance by the insurance industry for helping to sell ObamaCare is long overdue.

***

One has to wonder how this can’t other than further undermine how people feel about Obamacare––particularly its fairness––and taking their “social responsibility” to sign-up seriously…

When it’s all done, will this make those who lost their health plans happy?

Well, they had a health plan they presumably liked and/or could afford. Obamacare forced its cancellation. Now the administration is saying they will not fine them for being uninsured and will make a very high deductible plan available to them.

It’s hard to see how they will see this as an improvement.

***

Up until this point, there was a plausible argument to be made that most of the other ACA exceptions, exemptions and delays announced in the last year were made in the name of fairness. Employers were supposedly having trouble getting their paperwork and computers systems in line to comply with the employer mandate, so it was delayed a year — for all employers. Consumers trying to buy new plans through HealthCare.gov were struggling to navigate a dysfunctional website, so the deadline to sign up for coverage was extended from Dec. 15 to Dec. 23 — for everyone shopping through HealthCare.gov.

In contrast, the Obama administration’s changes in response to political fallout from individual market plans being canceled this fall — allowing states to extend existing plans for an extra year and this new hardship exemption — are something else. Thursday’s change puts those with canceled policies in a unique category that offers them a different kind of coverage and the ability to disregard the individual mandate, a major tenet of the law, which does not seem fair to those who did not have insurance prior to the law and who would very much like to buy a catastrophic plan but cannot. Republicans have already pounced on this latest change to argue that if Obamacare rules are simply too onerous for the small subset of Americans whose policies were canceled this fall, then they are too onerous for everyone else as well.

***

Let’s just take a real-world example. An uninsured 31-year-old male living in Los Angeles and earning a salary of $32,000 would only qualify for $1 per month in subsidies through Obamacare, according to a search on the California exchange. Because he is 31, he wouldn’t be eligible for cheaper catastrophic insurance. Thus, the most inexpensive plan available to him would be a “bronze” L.A. Care plan costing $178 per month, or $2,136 per year, with a $5,000 annual deductible.

If he chooses to remain uninsured, he’ll be subject to the mandate of 1 percent above the tax filing threshold, meaning around $220.

In contrast, let’s say there is a 31-year-old male in California who earns $100,000 per year. He had insurance through United Healthcare, but his plan was canceled once the insurer decided to leave the California market. Under the HHS rule change, he would have the option of purchasing a plan for $148 per month, or about 17 percent less than the lowest option available to the man earning less than a third of his income. Additionally, the higher-income individual would have the option of skipping insurance altogether without being subject to a fine.

***

The way it treats almost everyone else is unfair: The exchanges have been open for three months now, and plenty of Americans have committed to buy plans that were either more expensive than they want or that they didn’t want in the first place. If people whose individual-market plans have been canceled knew this was going to happen, they could have waited to buy a catastrophic plan, or bought one on the non-exchange market, or gone without insurance entirely. Marco Rubio put it reasonably on Thursday: “This is a slap in the face to the thousands of Americans who have already purchased expensive insurance through the Obamacare exchanges.”

***

This is a sign the administration is desperate to avert the very real likelihood that millions more people will be uninsured next year than before

It will mean that an even greater number of healthy people will have an incentive to not participate in the standard exchange plans, further eroding the risk pools.

It shows that the products designed in the ACA were not selling well; so, at the last minute, the administration is going to offer a very different product. Basically, the president is holding a fire sale on a failed launch.

And it suggests that conservatives were right all along in saying that the most important thing is for people to have catastrophic coverage.

***

Insurers like Aetna and Humana, when they priced their plans for the Obamacare exchanges, did so by averaging the expected health spending by the people who would sign up for those plans. This new “hardship exemption” will encourage healthier individuals, whose expected spending would be low, to drop out of the pool. As a result, average spending per enrollee on the exchanges is likely to be substantially higher than the insurers had planned for, forcing them to lose money on their policies.

“This latest rule change could cause significant instability in the marketplace and lead to further confusion and disruption for consumers,” said Karen Ignagni, president of AHIP, the insurer trade group, last night. That’s especially true if enterprising Americans generate fake cancellation letters, in order to avoid Obamacare’s individual mandate.

And the catastrophic plans, as I noted above, were priced by the insurers on the assumption that the vast majority of enrollees would be under the age of 30. If healthy but older people sign up for these plans, insurers will lose money on them, too. “Panic mode” is how insurance executives are describing the administration’s moves—but the insurers themselves are going to have to wonder about the financial viability of their exchange-based plans.

***

I’d ask this: What do you do for an encore? Will the administration force these folks to buy insurance next year? Or will they keep allowing special exceptions rather than take the political heat for changing health insurance that people liked?…

However incoherent these fixes may seem, they send two messages, loud and clear. The first is that although liberal pundits may think that the law is a done deal, impossible to repeal, the administration does not believe that. The willingness to take large risks with the program’s stability indicates that the administration thinks it has a huge amount to lose — that the White House is in a battle for the program’s very existence, not a few marginal House and Senate seats.

And the second is that enrollment probably isn’t what the administration was hoping. I don’t know that we’ll start Jan. 1 with fewer people insured than we had a year ago, but this certainly shouldn’t make us optimistic. It’s not like people who lost their insurance due to Obamacare, and now can’t afford to replace their policy, are going to be happy that they’re exempted from the mandate; they’re still going to be pretty mad. This is at best, damage control. Which suggests that the administration is expecting a fair amount of damage.

***

[T]he individual mandate is probably done for.

I would now assume that no one will pay the individual mandate fine for 2014. The administration may give up on the mandate in the course of the ongoing enrollment period if the political pressure is great enough, or they may keep up the pretense of it through the end of the enrollment period in March (when it will have finished its work, so to speak, since its purpose is to influence choices made during that period) but then exempt everyone from it as they did with the employer mandate for this year. Having now exempted from the fine people whose policies were canceled and who haven’t spent the money to get more expensive and less appealing new coverage, the politics of still applying the fine to everyone else who is uninsured this year will probably just not be sustainable, and the politics of exempting people from it (especially if they can hold out on doing so until after March 31) will be far too appealing for this White House to resist. They may claim the mandate will be back in 2015, but if they do exempt everyone from it in 2014 it will be hard to bring it back.

The administration claimed in court in 2012 that the mandate was absolutely essential to Obamacare’s implementation, and maybe it was. But they have come to realize over the past few months that Obamacare as they envisioned it is not really going to happen, and their goal now is to enable the survival of whatever elements of it can survive, so that they can regroup when the dust settles and try to rebuild some form of the liberal approach to health financing. The mandate is becoming an impediment to that goal, and it strikes me as reasonably likely now that it will not survive.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Goodnight, my friend.:) Sleep well. Bookmarked.:)

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Bmore

Nite J., you as well.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Wynton Marsalis – Buddy Boldens Blues

kcewa on December 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Very nice tune..Excellent play..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM

kcewa, link from your link

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Something Wicked – Chris Duarte

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Time for moar fainting womens and pictures with halos I guess…

shorebird on December 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Simple Gifts – Yo-Yo Ma and Alison Krauss

kcewa on December 22, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Time for moar fainting womens and pictures with halos I guess…

shorebird on December 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Interesting point. He could go for that ‘halo’ thing when he looked groomed, fresher, more lively… now that he’s aged, looks worn, tired, and the inner man is seeping to the surface, that ‘halo’ schtick won’t work anymore.

Their best bet would have been to put him in a robe or sweatshirt with a hood, and go for that worn saint look… but because of Trayvon and the Hoodie… he can’t do that now…since it would be read as it was intended after Trayon died.. with the ill-fated ‘Million Hoodie March’ … as a direct confrontation with white Americans.

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM

These Arms of Mine – Thackery/Benoit

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM

My Land is Kenya – Sang by the Moipei Quartet

Everybody living has one place where he was born
And for me that is Kenya

kcewa on December 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM

6 O’Clock In The Morning – Thackery

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM

williamg on December 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Good evening, williamg. :)

A heavy heart, indeed.

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I think they should put him in a onesie and let him do a “Pajama Boy” commercial for Obiecare..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 1:44 AM

LOL! Made me laugh. :)

It would certainly suit his maturity level. :)

I think, if ObamaCare was supposed to be such a wonderful thing, he and his family should have been the very first to publicly sign up for it, and Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer, Harry Reid, and every Democrat in congress should have been in line right behind him.

Interesting that they exempted themselves from the toxicity.

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 1:46 AM

kcewa on December 22, 2013 at 1:28 AM

williamg on December 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM

….I should have added “K” to my list with Jackie and Scrumpy and B9…….I don’t know if you’re a “he” or a “she” “K” —- but your musical soul-eye has been lashing itself to the Core of my being for a While, now……….the alpha-waves between us vibrate with an increasing resonance….

……by the way – how WAS your star turn with Will Smith in “Men In Black”?

williamg on December 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM

In which, this Marxist Junta, is completely blameless?

Uh-uh. Blame goes where it belongs on the Liar-In-Chief and his Marxist Party. I want to see “public penance” from the entire sorry batch.

98ZJUSMC on December 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Sweet Goddess of Love and Beer – Popa Chubby

lol!

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 1:55 AM

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 1:46 AM

+ 100..Agree..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM

How is every thing in the Land of Dire? Going very well, I hope. :)

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM

You Got To Love Somebody – Popa Chubby

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:11 AM

How is every thing in the Land of Dire? Going very well, I hope. :)

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM

All is well except for that last trip shopping to finish things off for the gift buying..:)

PS..I always procrastinate a little bit..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM

lol! You and me, both. :)

I’ve got it all done except for one particularly difficult family member. I’m thinking I’ll make a run to Dallas Monday. I think I can find what I have in mind there. :)

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM

williamg on December 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Thanks, williamg. :) I was thinking of cuing up some Bugs a little later. Great minds, I guess. :)

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:16 AM

San Catri = Popa Cubby

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Cubby? …Sorry… Chubby. lol!

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Blue On Black – Kenny Wayne Shepherd

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Good deal..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 2:30 AM

lol! Yeah… FedEx is going to do well by me this year. :) I’ve got to get it there… but I think they’ll manage it.

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Nice and Warm – Thackery/Benoit

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:34 AM

The Things I Used To Do – Kenny Neal

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:43 AM

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I hear you..We have purchased most of our gifts online..Call me crazy but that just seems weird for Christmas season..I think we are losing a tradition in a way..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I think you’re right. However, I confess that I’d have purchased this item online, but it’s expensive and handmade… and there’s a small boutique in Dallas that has it…and I want to be certain that it’s what it’s supposed to be before I purchase it and have it delivered. So I need to examine it in person. If it is what it should be, I’ll have it gift wrapped at the store and then have FedEx deliver it the 24th. Otherwise, I’d have likely had the store wrap one up and ship it out for me. Sad, I know… but I did procrastinate this year. :(

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:57 AM

If I Could Quit You – Tab Benoit

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Sad, I know… but I did procrastinate this year. :(

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 2:57 AM

lolz..I procrastinate every Christmas..That is a tradition..:)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 3:00 AM

lol! Well in that case you’re right on time! ;)

Several things conspired to prevent me from doing my usual things this Christmas, but I’m going to make it before the finish line, and that’s what counts. lol!

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM

When A Cajun Man Get’s The Blues – Benoit

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Midnight and Lonesome – Benoit

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 3:12 AM

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I hear you..Agree..That is what counts..:):)

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Dire Straits on December 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM

But just in case, I have a backup strategy… if it isn’t what it should be… I have all of Dallas to find something else and ship it out just the same. lol!

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Still Got The Blues – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

It’s been great spending some time with you again, Dire. :)

Goodnight, Nova. I hope you’re well, my friend. :)

thatsafactjack on December 22, 2013 at 3:22 AM

What ObamaCare is bringing is cruelty, neglect, the sheer absence of humanity.

VorDaj on December 22, 2013 at 5:12 AM

What ObamaCare is bringing is cruelty, neglect, the sheer absence of humanity.

VorDaj on December 22, 2013 at 5:12 AM

In a nutshell! If you read the wsj, BP has been running ads about how the recovery fund for the oil debacle in Louisiana is approving every claim, even ones that clearly have no right to be approved…great full page ads. I think your quote should be a full page ad. You have wonderful insights and comments, and I always learn a lot from you…I should share that with you more often.

It is painfully, and obviously, apparent that the person for whom this wretched act is named has no soul..whatsoever.

On that note, good morning, kids! Go Bears!

herm2416 on December 22, 2013 at 5:55 AM

“Paradise, CA resident Tiffany St. Cyr has a rare disease that is incurable but survivable with treatment, yet she cannot get care because of healthcare changes California adopted in anticipation of Obamacare and corresponding state healthcare changes.

St. Cyr is 28-years old and suffers from Achalasia. It has made her esophagus so weak that she is unable to move food from her mouth to her stomach, basically starving her to death.

The Mayo Clinic says there is no cure for the disease, but its “symptoms can usually be managed with minimally invasive (endoscopic) therapy or surgery.”

This where the healthcare changes come into play for St. Cyr. According to the Paradise Post, “St. Cyr was previously covered under no-share cost MediCal” but on November 1st “was transferred to a managed healthcare plan” that does not cover treatments for her disease.

This transfer to a managed plan took place “pursuant to AB 1467, the 2012-13 [California] State budget.”

According to the California Legislature’s Bill Analysis webpage, AB1467 made certain changes to MediCal to “comply with requirements of the federal Affordable Care Act,” also known as Obamacare. Other changes were made in anticipation of the January 1, 2014 roll-out of Covered California, “California’s own version of [Obamacare].”

But the result of it all is that St. Cyr cannot pay for the treatment she needs to reverse the effects of her disease.

CA Assemblyman Dan Logue (R-3rd Dist.) has taken up St. Cyr’s cause and says he is “prepared to write a letter (to Sacramento)” on her behalf, “asking that she gets the kind of care that she needs.”

workingclass artist on December 22, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Oh brother…Who didn’t see this coming…

” The latest edition of the gay newspaper The Washington Blade displayed what liberal newspapers don’t find controversial: “Medicare to examine ban on gender reassignment.” In other words, leftists are pushing the Obama administration to subsidize sex-change operations. We’re posting enormous deficits, but the “progressives” are always searching for new entitlements.

As usual, liberal journalists refer to this lack of “access” to taxpayer money a “ban.” Chris Johnson reported: “The document from the Department of Health & Human Services, dated Dec. 2, finds that the reasoning for the ban is ‘not complete and adequate’ to support denying Medicare coverage for transgender people seeking the procedure.”

The HHS Department Appeals Board states the ban — which is codified as National Coverage Determination 140.3 — “fails to account for development in the care and treatment” for transgender people over the course of the last 30 years….

Masen Davis, executive director of the Transgender Law Center, was optimistic the ban would be lifted following the discovery process.

“Current Medicare standards are based on science from the 1960s, so it’s about time for a review,” Davis said. “Because the current scientific evidence overwhelmingly shows that sex-reassignment surgeries are effective and medically necessary treatments for some transgender individuals, we are hopeful the board will find the exclusion is not supported.

The DAB initiated the review of the ban on Medicare-provided gender reassignment surgery in response to a request filed in March by a quartet of LGBT advocates: the National Center for Lesbian Rights, the American Civil Liberties Union, Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders and civil rights attorney Mary Lou Boelcke.

The challenge was filed on behalf of Denee Mallon, a 73-year-old transgender woman in Albuquerque, N.M. A Medicare recipient, Mallon was recommended to have gender reassignment surgery by doctors to treat her gender dysphoria.

In a joint statement provided to the Washington Blade in response to the HHS memorandum, the ACLU, NCLR and GLAD expressed optimism that DAB would come to the conclusion after discovery that the ban on Medicare-provided gender reassignment surgery should be lifted.

“Because the current evidence overwhelmingly shows that sex-reassignment surgeries are effective and medically necessary treatments for some individuals with gender dysphoria, we are hopeful the Board will find the exclusion is not supported,” the statement says.

The Blade story also noted “the American Medical Association and the American Psychological Association support gender reassignment surgery for transgender people as a means to treat gender identity disorder.”

The Obama administration is staying passive. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services didn’t put up a fight in response to the request from the libertine-left advocates to subsidize sex changes. CMS notified the appeals board in June that it wouldn’t submit a response, yea or nay…”

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2013/12/21/leftists-pushing-hhs-pay-sex-change-operations-under-medicare#ixzz2oCVh94WY

workingclass artist on December 22, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I was wondering when the wheels would finally start coming off the Obama cart…

zoyclem on December 22, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Since this is a tax law as declared by the SC, how does it give equal protection when they have different levels of insurance, bronze, silver, gold and platinum and different levels of loopholes? It would seem to me that a huge class action lawsuit should be waiting in the wings for Jan 1st. Lawyers everywhere should be able to get in on the action, too.

Kissmygrits on December 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Blessed Sabbath, Patriots! And, Trolls.

Free speech is an endangered species. Those “intolerants” hatin’ and taking on the Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing his personal opinion are taking on all of us. – Sarah Palin

My take: “The War Against Christianity: God Bless You, Please, Mr. Robertson”

kingsjester on December 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

My take: “The War Against Christianity: God Bless You, Please, Mr. Robertson”

kingsjester on December 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Cracker Barrel is now off my list of places to eat. I agree, they will wish they hadn’t done that.

dogsoldier on December 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

So, it appears, that Obama, rather than trying to fix the flaws in the law by working with Republicans, has decided to use “faculty lounge” solutions that only complicate an already unworkable law. In a way, you could say all these problems are the fault of the Republicans. Yes, they won elections and took the House thereby complicating the original strategy of,”we’ll fix it later”. Obama doesn’t have the ability to be bi-partisan, he really doesn’t know how. So, of course, he can blame Republicans because he can only work with Democrats and they don’t h ave the House, so he can’t work this out through the legislative process. Since he can’t do legislation, the only choice he has is to circumvent the constitution and act unlawfully. See the mess the Republicans have made?

bflat879 on December 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM

My take: “The War Against Christianity: God Bless You, Please, Mr. Robertson”

kingsjester on December 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

dogsoldier on December 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

*** Cracker Barrel ‏@CrackerBarrel 2h

We made a mistake, we listened to you, and we apologize. #DuckDynasty products are back in our stores. http://goo.gl/zftvZe

*** KJ, interesting thing, just an aside:

IC: I was thinking about raising kids, and while I don’t believe in God, I want to say to them that they can believe whatever they want to believe, because if they decide to be religious then that’s their choice. On another level, Jesus actually wasn’t the son of God and I should state that as a fact rather than say you can choose and all opinions are equally valid.

DM: I definitely wouldn’t advocate lying to your kids. You know, when they say ‘what do you think happens after we die?’ I tell them, I don’t know, but this is what I think: we die, we go into the ground and we become fertilizer. You know, that’s it.

IC: Maybe shy away from saying you become fertilizer when they’re too young.

DM: [Laughs] Right, for sure. Maybe say instead, we’re part of the circle of life. We become part of the earth again, from which other things will grow. But, you know, these are conversations we have now. I never lie to them about anything in regards to God or whatever knowledge that we have. Jesus may have been an actual man, we know that, but there’s no evidence he was divine.

IC: Apparently he was a white man.

DM: Right, I thought that was funny. There are no descriptions of Jesus’ appearance in the New Testament, but I’m sure, living in the Middle East, he was not a blue-eyed, white guy.

IC: You want your kids to be open-minded but you also don’t want to tell them that every opinion is equally valid.

DM: That’s true, but you run into another problem that when they’re young and you’re trying to talk to them about religion, they’ll then go off to school and talk to their peers. And these kids go and tell their parents, so you have to be careful when they’re young.

IC: I imagine you have paid some attention to the War on Christmas. I always thought that the War on Christmas was a positive sign about where our culture was, that people at Fox News or wherever had lost, and this was a sign of reaction.

DM: I agree, I think it’s a good sign. It’s a sign that things are changing. You hear the whole war on Christmas thing, it seems silly. I live in Texas, where they recently passed the Merry Christmas bill, a law that says you can have holiday displays at school as long as you don’t promote one particular religion. So you can have a nativity scene as long as you also have another holiday symbol like Santa or a menorah. The funny thing is that these symbols are supposed to be sacred to the church, but we buy a cheap plastic Jesus at Wal-Mart, haul him across town and plop him in front of a school. It seems to take some of the sacredness out of it. You’d think that the Church would want to keep their symbols on their property sort of like an authorized dealer. It just seems a little odd to me, anyway.

– Angle on “War on Christmas”

re. Headline. http://hotair.com/headlines/archives/2013/12/22/the-atheists-guide-to-christmas/

Axe on December 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM