Video: New Yorkers not impressed with atheist billboard … at all

posted at 1:41 pm on December 19, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Yes, I know that this sounds like it’s designed to generate outrageous outrage, but the best thing about this video is the lack of any such reaction in MRCTV’s vox populi.  No Big Apple denizen demanded that someone get suspended or fired for the provocative billboard messages bought by an atheist group that proposed taking the Christ out of Christmas (which would just leave Mas, right?). Most of them just scoffed, and even a passing Catholic priest shrugged it off, noting that most Christians are “confident in their faith” enough to ignore it. By the end, Dan Joseph is laughing it off with another passer-by and attempting to craft an atheist Mas carol, with not too much success.

So consider this an antidote to the hair-pulling over Phil Robertson’s endorsement of basic Christian scripture, I guess:

Elizabeth Scalia is proud of her fellow New Yorkers:

I love New York and this video nicely showcases why I do: atheists want to spend money on big electronic billboards urging the elimination of Christ from Christmas? New Yorkers say, essentially, “Oh yeah? How not interesting.”

They move on, more amused than perturbed. My peeps.

Indeed. Merry Christmas, New York, or Happy Mas if that floats your boat, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Spot on Ed
Re antidote

Will A&E see their error?

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

There is no God… and I hate him!

Everything is meaningless… but taking Christ out of Christmas is really important!

/atheists

mankai on December 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM

What would be really impressive if those atheists would buy a billboard that said “Who needs Allah? NOBODY“. I won’t hold my breath, though.

KS Rex on December 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Joy to the world,
Nothing has come.

Cicero43 on December 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Evangelical atheists, spreading fun & joy in another one of their successful endeavors! :)

Anti-Control on December 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM

No mas!!

Axeman on December 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM

They’ll keep the time off from work, though.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

It’s funny watching these militant atheists get all bent out of shape because other people believe in something that they don’t. Why do they care what someone else believes in?

Bitter Clinger on December 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Why are atheists always so angry?

Shump on December 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

As Ravi Zacharias said in response to Richard Dawkins who encouraged atheists to “mock religion with contempt”… I agree… I suggest they start in Mecca.

mankai on December 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM

How miserable these people must be.

I just don’t get it. Why can’t they accept that there are people that believe in God and go about their lives? I don’t care if you do or don’t believe in God. That’s your decision. Oh, BTW how come I never see these folks saying we don’t need Allah during Ramadan? Cowards.

Agent of the Cross on December 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Bitter Clinger on December 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

“Misery loves company”

Anti-Control on December 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Pleasantly surprised that so many NY’ers felt compelled to answer in the affirmative on keeping Christ in Christmas. There might be hope after all.

I am curious as to what that one woman said while walking by, I replayed it several times and even with the volume increased I still couldn’t make it out. Anyone?

D-fusit on December 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Why are atheists always so angry?
Shump on December 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Good point. On a related note, why are gheys, muslims, abortion advocates, NOW, trolls, democrats… always so angry?

KS Rex on December 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM

why do atheists feel the need to spend money making billboards asking people to not celebrate Christ at Christmastime? why do they care?? they don’t have to celebrate Christ if they don’t want to. but why are they trying to get other people away from that? it makes no sense. (okay, i know why. i’m just saying.)

on a positive note, i was in nyc recently and in times square, there is an electronic Christian billboard put up by Answers in Genesis that says “dear atheists… all He wants for Christmas is you” and it talks about salvation in Jesus.

Sachiko on December 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I love New York and this video nicely showcases why I do: atheists want to spend money on big electronic billboards urging the elimination of Christ from Christmas? New Yorkers say, essentially, “Oh yeah? How not interesting.”

They move on, more amused than perturbed. My peeps.

I look at this as little more than more of the tyranny and projection that is regularly advocated by the progressive-left.

They say they are for tolerance, but are massively intolerant of anyone who doesn’t share their groupthink.

They embrace incredible double-standards when it comes to one’s beliefs or faith. Display a cross on public land for a century to memorialize deceased veterans, and one is proselytizing and forcing a view on others. But proselytize atheism and it’s ‘free speech’ – not forcing their view on others.

They assert the Constitutional protection of freedom of religion contained in the 1st Amendment, but ignore the ‘prohibit the free exercise thereof’.

In NY, those people who walked past / viewed the sign largely ignored it. If they were offended, they might have acknowledged that they were offended, but they also knew there are no protections against being offended. They didn’t launch legal actions or boycotts or threaten those behind the sign – they just continued on because they, and those behind the sign, are entitled to their opinions even if they differ. That is the way it is supposed to work in this country.

The one’s who look little, petty, petulant, obnoxious, and arrogant are the one’s who put up the sign to insult the faith, beliefs, and opinions of those who believe that Christ is part of Christmas.

Athos on December 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I will offer up this Holiday reflection:

I could care less what Atheists do, or do not do….

Who knows, maybe some years from now, an Obama supporter will
compose the words that pay homage to the man,
as seen in their eyes as a “messiah”.

But I can take Faith in the words that were composed to pay
Homage to another Messiah.

There are two songs (Hymms) that I favor this Season.
they sum up this event in Human history, with words that
to me, are beautifully crafted.

One is the German Hymm Silent Night, Holy Night, which I do
not sing except on Christmas Eve. These words are the Masterpiece
description of the Event itself.

The other is my personal favorite, Hark the Herald Angels Sing.

This is how a song is written to pay tribute….somehow, I
don’t think any “followers” of this President would understand.

Hark! the herald angels sing,
“Glory to the new born King,
peace on earth, and mercy mild,
God and sinners reconciled!”
Joyful, all ye nations rise,
join the triumph of the skies;
with th’ angelic host proclaim,
“Christ is born in Bethlehem!”
Hark! the herald angels sing,
“Glory to the new born King!”

2. Christ, by highest heaven adored;
Christ, the everlasting Lord;
late in time behold him come,
offspring of a virgin’s womb.
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see;
hail th’ incarnate Deity,
pleased with us in flesh to dwell,
Jesus, our Emmanuel.
Hark! the herald angels sing,
“Glory to the new born King!”

3. Hail the heaven-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Sun of Righteousness!
Light and life to all he brings,
risen with healing in his wings.
Mild he lays his glory by,
born that we no more may die,
born to raise us from the earth,
born to give us second birth.
Hark! the herald angels sing,
“Glory to the new born King!”

ToddPA on December 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM

One line in that display tells us we don’t need Christ in Christmas because we have the Solstice and it’s why we celebrate. Unfortunately from Rome to The Norse, to The Iroquois, solstice celebrations were thanksgivings to the gods or spirits for the return of the Sun. Its descent being halted at the solstice and its rising heralding the coming of Spring. Nowhere is or was it celebrated as an event separate and apart from the spiritual. As to why atheists are angry; what they believe implies that all an individual does is for naught. Experience is only memory and once the last neuron flares memory in their belief ends. No regrets, no fulfillments, no pain no bliss no love. There is no difference in oblivion between Adolf Hitler and Albert Schweitzer. I’d be angry as well if that were my belief system. Particularly at those who would not share my quiet desperation.

xkaydet65 on December 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I can’t blame New Yorkers for being bored with atheists. I know I am.

Murf76 on December 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM

What’s really funny is atheists define “Nobody” as greater than 50% of Americans.

I know, I know. Theoretically, God’s not being real, nobody needs a God who isn’t there anyway. It’s just so revolutionary (and methodologically liberal) to answer everything from out of your own paradigm.

But then they say that religion is a crutch. Don’t some people find a need for crutches? Don’t people have a need to feel good?

“Yeah but it’s not rational.”

Yeah, because that’s the definition of needs: that they are rational.

They’ve confused logically necessity with the colloquialism of “need”. And yet, do some men really “need” to tear up other men’s posteriors?

Axeman on December 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM

That God loves even these idiots is completely lost on them. How sad.

HiJack on December 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM

The fact that New Yorkers posted it in the first place kind of slips right past her. So what’s she really saying? I love New York for being so bored with itself?

HotAirian on December 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

There is no God… and I hate him!

/atheists

mankai on December 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM

(It is impossible to have hatred toward that in which the existence of you do not believe!)

jaydee_007 on December 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Why are atheists always so angry?
Shump on December 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

KS Rex on December 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Because when you get right down to the nitty gritty, they’re all atheists. Except for the muslims. They’re satanists.

HiJack on December 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM

“Oh yeah? How not interesting.”

Best summary of atheists, ever.

Xasprtr on December 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM

The thing about atheists is their zeal in demanding that you must separate yourself from the herd and think for yourself. Only then will you be just like them!

Seriously, for some reason they are not content to be non-believers. They have to go on a crusade to convert everyone around them to the idea that there is no higher being. And if you dare actually show your faith in public they will scream like banshees about how offended they are.

Put another way, atheists are among the most intolerant and selfish of individuals that walk the earth. I’m glad they do stupid stuff like spend a boatload of money on billboards that convert nobody to their way of “thinking.”

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Why do they care what someone else believes in?

Bitter Clinger

A question to be asked of A&E and GLAAD as well.

xblade on December 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM

KS Rex on December 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Or try that with the name of their “prophet.”

dogsoldier on December 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Atheistpundit’s “I hate Sara Palin” retaliation thread in 3…2…1…

Eph on December 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Every knee shall bend, and it will be especially satisfying to see theirs.

Christien on December 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

A shrug is the right response. I have no problem with atheists having a billboard, same as I have no problem with anyone of any other belief system having a billboard.

I don’t understand the call to “take Christ out of Christmas.” I think Christmas is a religious holiday, and the people who DO take Christ out of Christmas are the ones who demand that all the stores say “Merry Christmas” to every single customer (even the ones who aren’t Christian) and get mad when a tree in the state Capitol building is called a “holiday tree.” That’s the only way you can have such a tree in that public building. If you call it a “Christmas tree,” then you’re favoring one belief system over another — UNLESS you argue that Christmas is just a day about candy canes and Santa hats, but then you’re the one ignoring the “reason for the season.”

bmmg39 on December 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Why do they do this? Because there is a significant wing of the Atheist Party that does believe in the Messiah known as big government. So if you believe in Christ, then you almost naturally cannot put your full faith in big government and are thereby a threat to their ideology.

BKeyser on December 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM

And these groups wonder why they’re so universally despised….it’s good to see that their desperate attention grab isn’t working out too well.

LukeinNE on December 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Atheists expend an awful lot of energy not believing in something

the wolf on December 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM

ask pajama-boy

Deafdog on December 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

So atheists erect billboards expressing how they hate what Christians believe in, their lifestyles, etc…and no issue.

Yet a Christian expresses his belief that what homosexuals do is not logical…and all hell breaks lose.

Funny world we live in.

HumpBot Salvation on December 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Was listening to a local talk show in KC last week. A caller was asked by the host if she did not have any friends who were Christian or other people of faith. She said “no”, all her friends were atheists.

When asked why, she replied that “…THOSE PEOPLE tend to be judgmental.”

Now, I know that not every atheist is this way. But I have been surprised by the frequency of this attitude. One of my good friends was recently surprised to discover that I went to mass every Sunday. Surprised because I “wasn’t one of those preachy types”.

connertown on December 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

They move on, more amused than perturbed. My peeps.

Elizabeth Scalia (who?) should also know that many of those same New Yorkers would walk right on by if she was being beaten in the street. Her peeps.

bofh on December 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

We all know that Christ wasn’t necessarily born on Dec 25th. There is even debate that he was born 13 years before our calendars state he was making this the year of our Lord 2026. That is not the point. We don’t celebrate Saturn because this was once the pagan festival of Saturnalia. The early Christians co-opted that festival in order to phase out the pagan rituals and replace them with Christian celebrations. All Hallows Eve was once Samhain so what? These athiests know this and are trying to muddy the message by making some assinine point about the pagan aspect of the date. People aren’t stupid and Christians won’t buy these lies.

It is Christs Mass or Christmas not Saturnmass or Paganmass or
SantaClausmass. You cannot have Christs mass without Christ!

Does it really matter whether he was born on Dec 25th or July 3rd? Typical deceitful athiests haters will say yes but then they are liars so who cares. How about we have a holiday just for them? We will call it Meh because that is how they want us all to be, just lukewarm pieces of flesh considering ourselves our own gods.

No thanks. To quote the great 70s band The Doobie Brothers- Jesus is just allright with me.

neyney on December 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Stealth amnesty or spending advertisement? Nah, just another short-sighted ad just under par to pajama man.

Ukiah on December 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Bitter Clinger on December 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

As told to me during a heated discussion most atheists apparently believe we currently live in a Christian theocracy. They live every day under the oppressive and very hateful christian rule. They wish it to stop and have a society build on a secular foundation and one where religion is practiced privately and out of site. They also wish that the hateful in their face preaching by Christians be made unlawful.

I asked about Islam but was told that we live under christian rule and not Islamic so it is not a problem at this time.

Dr. Frank Enstine on December 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I totally get why atheists hate Christianity.

For centuries, we Christians hunted down the atheists. When we caught them, we slaughtered them – customarily by beheading.

We turned entire atheist cities red with their blood.

Conquering. Ever conquering.

But we didn’t always slaughter them who we conquered. Sometimes, we let them dwell among us if they paid a special tax.

We built towering cathedrals with the taxes collected from the relative handful of atheists to whom we showed mercy. Those stone monuments to our God served to remind the vanquished atheists that we Christians were masters of the world.

Yes, it humiliated them, our mighty spires ascending into the clouds.

But these served to remind the atheists of their place – a place of submission.

Indeed, one of the conditions we imposed upon atheists (over and above the paying of the tax) was a sweeping prohibition against worshipping their nothingness openly or attempting to proselytize Christians.

Somehow, in recent times, we forgot to collect the tax against the atheist few. And we neglected to enforce our U.S. Constitution’s rigid strictures against their practices.

This has led us to where we are today: atheists running wild in our streets, erecting billboards that mock us, and far, far worse.

I call upon my fellow Christians to remember that ours is a warrior religion. We must remember that ours is a religion that suffers no insult. The season is nigh for us to mete punishment upon atheists, for it is a punishment they richly deserve – swift, brutal, without quarter.

/OK, I turned off the sarcasm machine. You atheists can dry yourselves now. We love you. Always have, always will. Merry Christmas.

FlameWarrior on December 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Steve Martin – Atheists Don’t Have No Songs……http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wogta8alHiU

makaput on December 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM

As a non-believer I have to say it’s refreshing to see the more pigheaded crowd on my side waste of bunch of their resources. Bravo to the people of New York for treating this absurdity with all the indifference it deserves.

alchemist19 on December 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Atheists expend an awful lot of energy not believing in something

the wolf on December 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I don’t spend near enough not collecting stamps.

Maybe I’m doing it wrong….

Axeman on December 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM

On my brief forays into Minneapolis I regularly pass a few Christian charitable missions which assist many people in all sorts of ways, rarely have I seen an atheist charitable mission. By rarely I mean never.

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Why does everyone think atheists are so angry? Taking this billboard as an anecdote to say we’re all angry is equivalent to atheists thinking all Christians are cruel, horrible people because of the behaviors of the Westminster Baptist Church. The examples are limitless (Koran burning, poisonous snake handling, etc).

I’m quite happy, have many friends, will celebrate Christmas with family (cultural Christian) and will live this life treating others well because I see no evidence that I have a second chance in an afterlife.

Merry Christmas :)

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Atheists expend an awful lot of energy not believing in something

the wolf on December 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Believers expend a lot of energy believing in myths and fallacies. How old is the earth wolfie?

Bandit13 on December 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Do strident atheists demand to repay their wages back to the company for the paid Christmas holiday time off.

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Bandit13 on December 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM

But I expend a lot less money and energy on not collecting stamps.

Again, perhaps I’m doing it wrong…

Axeman on December 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I would much rather have billboards like this than to have new earth socons keep trying to rewrite school text books to push religious mythology at the expense of science. God gave people hemorrhoids…Really??? Some of you folks would worship ANYTHING so long as it promised you eternal life.

Bandit13 on December 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Why do atheists care what someone else believes in? Why are they so militant and insistent that you acknowledge them? For the same reason that so many gays are militantly insistent that you give them your approbation. Because many of them (many more than would admit to it) harbor a lingering, deep-seated fear that they are wrong, and constant, universal acknowledgement and approbation keep them from having to face that fear. People who are confident in their choices and values rarely are very in-your-face about it. Even with religious folks, I have always sensed that the most rabid fire-and-brimstone proselytizers were the ones least sure of their faith.

SacredFire on December 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Why are atheists almost universally unable to grasp the simple fact that being a dick never helps your cause?

Other groups suffer from the same syndrome – conservatives fall into the same trap sometimes, too. But not on purpose. Other groups, political and religious, at least TRY not to be d-bags.

Very strange. Somebody should study this phenomenon. I’m tempted to conclude the obvious: rejecting faith makes you a jerk.

Professor Blather on December 19, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM

You including Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. in on this payback scheme also? If they truly believe, they shouldn’t be celebrating and taking Christian time off.

I’m just bummed we don’t get the entire, traditional solstice celebration of 3 days off.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Do atheists turn down Christmas cookies at work? “I can’t eat that religious cookie!”

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Did I say I was a Believer?

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I suggest that all of the really committed, militant atheists (committed to what? I dunno: ask them) post signs in their front yards, announcing “There is no Allah, and Mohammed is NOBODY’S Prophet.”

It’ll make it easier for the jihadis to find them, that way.

Just trying to be helpful, in this season of giving.

orangemtl on December 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Do atheists feel a bit sheepish when they stub a toe and holler “Godammit!” or “Jesus effin CHRIST that hurt!”

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

SacredFire on December 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Ya know, it’s funny. I have confessed before that when I didn’t believe in God, I wasn’t in your face to Christians that I knew, but I did try to dissuade my friends from from their beliefs, help them out.

It’s funny because even though I didn’t believe in God at that time, recounting it in a conversation, the same person who had pulled the Atheist’s Dodge earlier in the conversation, saying that Atheism was nothing but a lack of belief, suggested that if I was evangelizing as a non-believer then I was doing it wrong.

Now, that has raised the spectre that I’m not collecting stamps wrong.

Axeman on December 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

SacredFire on December 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM

You can believe in Zeus or Isis for as much as I care, just don’t confidently tell me I have universal problems when I tell you I don’t share your beliefs.

You and I are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Hell no. I get to curse without having to worry about offending the Big Guy.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I don’t. Those are culturally-conditioned responses that accurately convey exactly what’s on my mind at that particular moment so I cut loose with all of it. :)

alchemist19 on December 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I’m waiting for the “Who needs Allah during Ramadan? NOBODY!” signs to appear, complete with specific certification of which group created them.

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM

It’ll make it easier for the jihadis to find them, that way.

Just trying to be helpful, in this season of giving.

orangemtl on December 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Very Christian of you.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Bandit13 on December 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

You don’t REALLY think a hard core socon like Paul
Bandit13 on November 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Just a reminder of Bandit13′s ability to recognize different ideologies.

nobar on December 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Don’t you feel a bit funny about it though, saying “Oh my GOD!” when you see or hear something spectacular?

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Joy to the world for no particular reason?!

Joy to the world because I live, I love, and I have the capacity and the desire to understand.

beselfish on December 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Nah. It’s like a brand name becoming part of the cultural norm. People don’t say hand me a facial tissue, they say hand me a Kleenex.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM

3. Hail the heaven-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Sun of Righteousness!
Light and life to all he brings,
risen with healing in his wings.
Mild he lays his glory by,
born that we no more may die,
born to raise us from the earth,
born to give us second birth

Those who want to take Christ out of Christmas probably don’t care that He can “raise them from the earth” and “give them second birth”. When they’re on their deathbed, the possibility of a second birth, which only Christ can give them, might suddenly seem very appealing. In the meantime, merry deathmas.

But for those of us who DO hope to be raised from the earth and receive a second birth, we thankfully wish Jesus a very happy birthday, and each other a Merry Christmas.

Steve Z on December 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Quite possibly the post of the Year.

ToddPA on December 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Sure but you don’t see other tissue manufacturers demanding to take “Kleenex” out of the vocabulary.

I’m not pointing at you directly, just the strident atheists who go out of their way to ridicule Christians.

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

haha :)

That sounds like the reaction of a vegan. Probably a lot of overlap with the 2 (weird & obsessive) groups, too…

Anti-Control on December 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Not to pick you you, but this is the type of thing that rubs me the wrong way. This is like me saying to you that on your death bed, you’ll suddenly realize that there’s no physical evidence supporting your belief system, that you’ll suddenly stop believing and die with a smile knowing you did good in the one life you have.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Quite possibly the post of the Year.

ToddPA on December 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Why would you expect to see atheist specific charitable missions?!? The charities and university I give to and participate with are not associated with a religion.

What you are missing is that atheism is not a belief system and its not something to organize around for most.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM

When seeing or hearing something that’s difficult to believe we invoke the name of another thing that’s difficult to believe as a comparison. Makes sense to me! ;)

alchemist19 on December 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Hmm, interesting post….

Yes, i understand your point that I shouldn’t expect to see
Atheist specific missions…never have expected to see them…

…so then exactly WHY are Atheists putting up billboards
that are AGAINST SOMETHING????????

One of the key elements of ANY charity is Compassion,

I’ll leave you with this quote from a certain President.

“Mr. President, why are you against Communism?”

“because it is a failed system.”

“Why is it a failed system, in your opinion??”

“Because it’s contrary to Human Nature”

Human Nature is Compassion.

ToddPA on December 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Happy mas everybody!

The Nerve on December 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Unlike atheists, Muslims, gays, and assorted leftists.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM

What you are missing is that atheism is not a belief system

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Funny.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM

What you are missing is that atheism is not a belief system

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Funny.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Care to elaborate? ;)

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Care to elaborate? ;)

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I find your error/lie amusing.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Hmm, interesting post….

Yes, i understand your point that I shouldn’t expect to see
Atheist specific missions…never have expected to see them…

…so then exactly WHY are Atheists putting up billboards
that are AGAINST SOMETHING????????

One of the key elements of ANY charity is Compassion,

What can one say? Maybe they have a chip on their shoulder because they’re officially worse off in polling than gays and lesbians as the least likely to be voted into office. After a while, this stuff wears you out. We’re all human after all :)

Why do the Westminster Baptists go out and do vile protests at military funerals? It’s all the same god after all?

At least we’re not going to war over it and trying to martyr ourselves; this life is all we’ve got :)

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I find your error/lie amusing.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Unfunny.

I find your lack of critical discourse sad.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Funny, it sure sounds like a belief system. And most I’ve met consider non-atheists stupid. Is nothing better than something?

Just lump ‘em with the CO2 alarmists, the militant Vegans, the red paint throwers, and the fools who believe we should test medicines on people first.

Ignore ‘em. That’s what they hate.

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Happy mas everybody!

The Nerve on December 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Mas means birth, right? If your a liberal you don’t celebrate that either.

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

UrbanCoyote, I’d agree with you that atheism technically is not a belief system, but you wouldn’t deny that it is one in effect, would you?

Anti-Control on December 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I find your lack of critical discourse sad.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

res ipsa loquitur

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Ignore ‘em. That’s what they hate.

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Don’t conflate belief with a sense of wanting to belong to a community and have a sense of purpose in life. A few hundred years ago, these folks might have found themselves burned at a stake, beheaded or hung. It’s not my thing, but then handling poisonous snakes in church probably isn’t yours either.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I find your lack of critical discourse sad.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

res ipsa loquitur

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Non-Sequitur

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Non-Sequitur

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Funny. You should be a comedian.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Hey. Bubba. Look up the definition of “atheism.” It is, by definition, based on belief or rejection of belief. That is, by definition, a belief system. Res ipsa loquitur. The term “atheism” speaks for itself – that you’re in error or lying.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

The belittling of someone else’s religion IS a belief system. And people with such shallow beliefs ALWAYS fall to the true believers. Just sit back and watch. Avoid the rocks.

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Incidentally, I understand why atheists like to lie and say that their belief system is not a belief system. That way they can use the power of the state to force their preferred belief system on others. They pretend that their absence of God belief is the “default” and “secular” position when it is, in fact, promotion of their belief system.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM

And, just for fun, why does an antheist need a sense of purpose in their life, when, by definition, their life is the end all of all existence?

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Funny. You should be a comedian.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Hah, you should teach Latin :)

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Do you live in the US or Saudi Arabia?

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Because they’re human with the same brain organ driving them as everyone else?

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

irrelevant. But my daughter just got back from her Ivy covered prison, where the school rag (student written) blamed the most recent Colrado shooting on a strict Catholic. Why would they say that?

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Because they’re human with the same brain organ driving them as everyone else?

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

So having a brain makes you an altruist?

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Do you live in the US or Saudi Arabia?

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Ask the Israelis that one.

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM