Video: New Yorkers not impressed with atheist billboard … at all

posted at 1:41 pm on December 19, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Yes, I know that this sounds like it’s designed to generate outrageous outrage, but the best thing about this video is the lack of any such reaction in MRCTV’s vox populi.  No Big Apple denizen demanded that someone get suspended or fired for the provocative billboard messages bought by an atheist group that proposed taking the Christ out of Christmas (which would just leave Mas, right?). Most of them just scoffed, and even a passing Catholic priest shrugged it off, noting that most Christians are “confident in their faith” enough to ignore it. By the end, Dan Joseph is laughing it off with another passer-by and attempting to craft an atheist Mas carol, with not too much success.

So consider this an antidote to the hair-pulling over Phil Robertson’s endorsement of basic Christian scripture, I guess:

Elizabeth Scalia is proud of her fellow New Yorkers:

I love New York and this video nicely showcases why I do: atheists want to spend money on big electronic billboards urging the elimination of Christ from Christmas? New Yorkers say, essentially, “Oh yeah? How not interesting.”

They move on, more amused than perturbed. My peeps.

Indeed. Merry Christmas, New York, or Happy Mas if that floats your boat, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I would have thought standing on the corner and declaring your foolishness would be better received. :(

Murphy9 on December 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

So having a brain makes you an altruist?

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Well, not having one wouldn’t make you much of anything.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at? Are you implying that one can’t exhibit altruistic behavior without a belief in something greater?

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM

And it doesn’t matter if you call it a deity, or compassion, or Love. It’s something greater.

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM

The responses from the good people of New York are encouraging. And I’m a Red Sox fan from Boston saying that about New Yorkers! So here we have common ground. Let’s keep Christ in Christmas.

waterat31 on December 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM

gotta go. I’ll catch up tonight.

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 7:06 PM

So let me guess, how many Atheists actually take off time from work around Christmas? I bet the number is higher than the number who actually donate to needy people around the world.

stuartm80127 on December 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM

stuartm80127 on December 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Man, you’re really so first page on this one ;)

I’m out too. Anyways, I have to go do bad things, er, I mean, get some dinner with my spouse.

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 7:15 PM

What you are missing is that atheism is not a belief system

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Then why are they proselityzing?

They are trying to convert people to their belief system.

talkingpoints on December 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Hah, you should teach Latin :)

UrbanCoyote on December 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

My kids are home schooled and are learning Latin. Does that count? :)

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I think people are tired of even giving acknowledgement to perpetually offended groups.

The spiritual nihilists of atheism are welcome to start their own year-end holiday. If it gains public support (not legal or federal or media support, but public support) I will congratulate them/you in your honoring of it.

But since holidays are inherently holy-days, and holy days are literally days that are “set apart for the purpose of worshiping” a deity, someone will have to explain to me how atheists are capable of calling anything “holy”–a day, a book, a place, a person–anything.

So I guess they are left trying to destroy ours, instead of making their own.

rwenger43 on December 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM

They are trying to convert people to their belief system.

talkingpoints on December 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Their belief system is parasitic.

What structure it currently has is dependent on the organism–in this case, the culture it feeds on, while simultaneously trying to destroy it.

If you say that many atheists do have a belief system, I would point out that many professing atheists are actually Humanists, which is entirely different, and does have a belief system which its practitioners are not interested in discussing openly.

Even non-practicing Christians are offended by Humanism, while they are just amused by Atheists.

rwenger43 on December 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Just a reminder of Bandit13′s ability to recognize different ideologies.

nobar on December 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM

You sure know how to swing a mean purse.

Bandit13 on December 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM

they don’t have to celebrate Christ if they don’t want to. but why are they trying to get other people away from that? it makes no sense. (okay, i know why. i’m just saying.)
Sachiko on December 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM

The Left-wing rationalization rachet racket only goes one direction, as in:
“If you don’t like gay marriages, don’t get one.”

Proposing that they follow the same prescription perplexes them.

AesopFan on December 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I’d be angry as well if that were my belief system. Particularly at those who would not share my quiet desperation.

xkaydet65 on December 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Except they are not being nearly quiet enough.

AesopFan on December 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM

When asked why, she replied that “…THOSE PEOPLE tend to be judgmental.”
connertown on December 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Yep – because they are able to judge when some particular activity is sinful according to the Bible; you don’t like it because you just happen to be engaged in that activity, and don’t care to be told it would benefit you to stop.

AesopFan on December 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Urban:

When you get back, I am still waiting for the study comparing school shooters to devout Christians.

I’ll chip in a few bucks to fund that one.

WryTrvllr on December 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Atheists. Pl0x hire this person to do your recruitment.

Your bearded Taliban look-alike was totally, awesomely p3ned for his mouthy retardation.

Why me? Waaah! Waaah!

I’m a good christian. I love god. god loves everyone.

waaaaaah!

You morons have no excuse to criticize anyone after defending this tree-stump-stupid mouth-breathing knuck-walker.

Evil Kneivel was a christian, and he was AWESOME!!!!!!!

Did he dump on other people? NO!

Dolly Parton? Total christian girl all her life. A foul word out of it?

NO! NEVER! Total class act. I love that woman.

Trailer Trash Phil, OTOH…

Tie your wagon to a loser, and you get what you reap.

Die in a fire, Phil, you b*****d.

thejackal on December 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I can’t think of any better spokesperson for your “rationalist” religion.

LMAO

Murphy9 on December 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Then why are they proselityzing?

They are trying to convert people to their belief system.

talkingpoints on December 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Ding. Ding. Ding.

If they truly didn’t believe in God believers wouldn’t bother them so much. For instance, I couldn’t care less if people believe in UFOs.

DavidM on December 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Atheists. Pl0x hire this person to do your recruitment.

I can’t think of any better spokesperson for your “rationalist” religion.

LMAO

Murphy9 on December 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Was that from this thread, or another?

Anti-Control on December 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM

M9, I already got the answer

Anti-Control on December 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Atheism is a faith-based belief. Sorry, I almost yawned myself while typing that.

Knott Buyinit on December 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM