Video: Christie reaches agreement with New Jersey Democrats on in-state tuition for illegal immigrants

posted at 6:41 pm on December 19, 2013 by Allahpundit

Conservative opposition to in-state tuition rates for illegals was what inspired Rick Perry at that 2011 debate to accuse his critics of being heartless. Christie won’t be that stupid, but he will be asked about this. The question: Will congressional Republicans have already rubber-stamped some more ambitious amnesty measure before 2015 that’ll suck up most of the oxygen on immigration at the next debates? My guess is oh yes, and Christie will naturally take a cautious line on it to calm border hawks on the one hand and to woo the Latino voters whose support he’s desperately trying to win to prove that he’s the Republican who can beat Democrats on their own turf.

He took a cautious line on New Jersey’s DREAM Act too, in fact:

Christie today plans to sign legislation that would allow unauthorized immigrants who graduated high school in New Jersey after attending for at least three years to be eligible for the lower in-state rates at public higher educational institutions, including in-county rates at community colleges.

But first, he’ll conditionally veto the bill (S2479) the Assembly plans to send him this afternoon. Christie will strike a provision that would make the students eligible for state financial aid programs, including Tuition Aid Grants (TAG). Democrats have agreed to concur with the conditional veto, sending it once again to Christie for his signature…

Christie also said he opposed part of the bill that would allow out-of-state students who went to high school in New Jersey to pay in-state tuition rates, regardless of their immigration status, and that he wanted the bill only to apply to students who came to the country by 2012. Sweeney, however, said he will not alter the bill any further.

An activist from one immigration group vowed that they’d remember that Christie gave them mere “crumbs” compared to what they asked for, which is a nice reminder that no matter how far the GOP bends to pander to amnesty shills, they’ll end up being demagogued for half-measures anyway. Speaking of which, an interesting data point from Pew’s new poll of Latinos and Asian-Americans. Is a path to citizenship for illegals really their highest priority on immigration? Or is it something else?

pr

Not surprising, really. Of course it’s a higher priority for illegals and sympathetic groups to end deportations than it is to expand avenues to citizenship. Most illegals come here to work, not to vote. In theory, as Benjy Sarlin says, that’s the makings of a grand compromise on immigration law: Grant legal status to illegals but bar them from becoming citizens. They can stay, they’ll earn better money than they would at home, and Republican fears of being overwhelmed by millions of new Democratic-leaning voters will be assuaged. Everybody wins! Except, er, Democrats, who insist on citizenship precisely because they want those millions of Democratic-leaning voters on the rolls. There may be a near-term compromise on this question, where Congress passes something that grants legalization/easily renewable work visas but omits any citizenship provisions. But that’s only the near term; by 2015, Democrats and immigration activists will sneer that legalization amounts to “crumbs” and they’ll pound the table for a path to citizenship. Republicans, terrified at alienating Latino voters again before another presidential election, will be torn apart about whether to do it or not. Which side, do you suppose, will Chris Christie take?

In other amnesty news, Bill Clinton says that immigration reform is the only way to keep America growing. I’m … pretty sure that’s not true. And if there’s anyone who would/should understand why it’s not true, it’s Bill Clinton.

Comments

So your tuition drops if your a foreign student and let your visa expire?

meci on December 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

If I ever get stopped for openly carrying a loaded 1911 I’m going to politely tell the cop that I’m not illegally carrying a gun, I’m simply unauthorized, so get out of my face.

You leftists are funny. Unauthorized. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

But yeah, when the GOP’s team of Christie/Ryan or Rubio reaches the ballot I’m going to write in “Lizard Man”.

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Why does anyone obey the law anymore?

VorDaj on December 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

They better not!

Illegal alien amnesty would be suicide not only for conservatism but for the country as well.

Anyone who votes for illegal alien amnesty should be thrown out of office.

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I knew AP would cover this and not this.

Wigglesworth on December 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM

going to be hilarious seeing all these unemployed Mexicans with pre- Columbian Icelandic Poetry degrees running around with $140k in debt. That’ll be enough culture shock to make that trip home much more desirable.

DanMan on December 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM

In this case “bi-partisan agreement” means the R moving towards the D which almost always is the only “bi-partisanship” we ever see.

I am torn on this issue.
While I vehemently oppose illegal immigration and all the problems that come with it the fact remains that our govt. will not deport them.
So…Do we want them on welfare or do we want them in college…?

I choose college.

NeoKong on December 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Anyone who has their dirty fingers on this amnesty nonsense will never get my vote. I don’t care who the dem candidate is.

Wigglesworth on December 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Behold the next Republican presidential candidate!

LeftCoastRight on December 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I guess that A. Einstein Smith from a neighboring state can not get instate tuition in New Jersey, but speedy gonzalez can be given instate tuition while drying his back and paying with funds from his drug deals. I was going to say “only in America”, but I will say “only in new jersey.”

Old Country Boy on December 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM

This is an outrage:

Why aren’t all identified and located illegal aliens being deported?

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I know I will catch serious crap for this, but how does keeping them stupid (not that college actually educates anyone anymore) help improve all of our standards of living?

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Wigglesworth on December 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Same here.

And I would even work for their defeat in the general!

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

since they are already here

WryTrvllr on December 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Christie today plans to sign legislation that would allow unauthorized immigrants democrat voters

FIFY

TXUS on December 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

You would think all these illegal actions by Obama in regards to immigration would kill the effort, but GOP leadership doesn’t even care.

Wigglesworth on December 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM

So, what happens to the American students who are rejected by these colleges becaus they don’t have capacity.

KMC1 on December 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Well, now that Hillary has his sack in her girdle drawer, I’m betting the population carpet bombing that comes with a Billy Jeff event has waned.
Thanks for proving our point for us, Big boy.

AllahsNippleHair on December 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I’ll be writing in Edward Snowden.

FloatingRock on December 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I’ll be writing in Edward Snowden.

FloatingRock on December 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

That would be Russian Lizard Man.

AllahsNippleHair on December 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Do out-of-state American citizens and foreign students who follow the rules pay in-state tuition in New Jersey?

Christien on December 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Behold the next Republican Democrat presidential candidate!
LeftCoastRight on December 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Fixed that for you.

Alabama Infidel on December 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Illegal aliens-not illegal immigrants.
It’s time to stop making law-breakers seem legitimate.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM

And I would even work for their defeat in the general!

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Very funny. You will work your a$$ off for Christie in the general and will gladly vote for him. I am sick and tired of all these loud mouth tea partiers who brag on the internet about how they won’t vote for some conservative candidate if he/she were to win the primary. You WILL and you know it.

loveofcountry on December 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM

KMC1 on December 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Unfortunately they can move to another country in hopes for a better life…

Hog Wild on December 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM

BTW, if this little episode hasn’t proven to folks here that seeking candidates who won’t say anything “stupid” is a fool’s errand, I don’t know what will. There is no candidate you can come up with that won’t have his words spun into a bogus rallying cry of faux outrage for the other side. The only way to counter it is to reject They can stay, they’ll earn better money than they would at home, and Republican fears of being overwhelmed by millions of new Democratic-leaning voters will be assuaged. Everybody wins!

Not. For one, they will still be taking jobs,among other things. Two,as the current debate has shown, they don’t HAVE to be able to vote to influence legislation. Hell, they don’t even have to be here legally.

xblade on December 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Judge Claims DHS Smuggling Illegal Alien’s Children Into The Nation

So much for “DREAMer’s” who’ve been in the country for ‘years’. So much for a secure border. So much for a governmental agency we can trust to secure our borders and keep them that way.

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM

loveofcountry on December 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Your stupidity is exceeded only by the size of your mouth.

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

loveofcountry on December 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Illegal alien amnesty is my number issue. You are quite wrong.

I will never vote for any pro-amnesty candidate.

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I will never vote for any pro-amnesty candidate.

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

And neither will I. On this we are in complete accordance.

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Illegal alien amnesty is my number issue. You are quite wrong.

I will never vote for any pro-amnesty candidate.

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

But on paper, her will be better than Hillary. So, you will be doing the same as people who didn’t vote for Romney. Just saying. It’s the exact same logic. So get ready to be pummeled with “purist” remarks. That goes for every other person here who used the excuse “he’s better than the Democrat” line.

Dongemaharu on December 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Sorry. “he.”

Dongemaharu on December 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM

The poll is easy to understand.

If you are illegal why are you really here?

To get a job…to make money.

Why are illegals hired?

Don’t have to pay them minimal wages, no health insurance, to basally get around all the laws relating to taxes, etc.

What happens if illegals become legal?

Of course they will be allowed to vote, but they will lose their jobs to the new arriving illegals. Therefore you can’t send money back home. You might be able to bring them here to mooch off government benefits, but is that worth a risk to mess up a good thing?

The problem is not the illegals, they are symptom of the larger problem which is the U.S. government does not punish those that hire illegals.

William Eaton on December 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Illegal alien amnesty is my number issue. You are quite wrong.

I will never vote for any pro-amnesty candidate.

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Barrack Obama running for a third term and Mr Amnesty Marco Rubio or Chris Christie? Don’t tell me you will sit that election out.

loveofcountry on December 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM

We all have to draw the line somewhere. For me, it’s illegal immigration. I see it as the single worst threat to job market and to the education of the citizens of this nation. I also see it as a pernicious drain on the resources of communities, states, and ultimately the nation… resources, I might add, that spring from the tax dollars of citizens and legal immigrants. I see it as a source of crime, both non-violent and violent crime, that could easily be eradicated simply by enforcing existing law.

I will never vote for any candidate who supports any form of amnesty for illegal aliens. Such a candidate demonstrates a thorough disregard for the rule of law and the rights of the citizens of this nation, a profound lack of understanding of the constitution, particularly in that immigration law was designed to protect the interests of the citizens of this nation, not those who willfully shatter our laws. Further, such a politician denies those who are waiting in line around the world the opportunity to enter and remain in this nation legally by allowing those with no regard for the rule of law or the rights of the citizens of this nation who have willfully shattered federal immigration law to be rewarded for that criminality. Hence, such a reprehensible candidate will never garner my vote.

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Where can I apply to be get Latino status? It would be nice to have politicians cater to my wishes.

kcewa on December 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I wish we treated illegals like mexico does. :/

Murphy9 on December 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Let’s discourage immigrants from crossing our borders illegally & provide them with tax money for education while our military gets a cut. That should discourage them.

RdLake on December 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Illegal alien amnesty is my number issue. You are quite wrong.

I will never vote for any pro-amnesty candidate.

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

loveofcountry on December 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM

If Obama tries for a third term, I think the fat bastard will be the least of our problems.
McCain-Romney-Christie? See the pattern. Trying to break the cycle, chump.

AllahsNippleHair on December 19, 2013 at 7:54 PM

If they’re ILLEGAL, then DEPORT them!

GarandFan on December 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM

of course they don’t want to be citizens! once they become citizens they lose their job to the next wave of illegals. the only value they have as employees is the ability to exploit them w/o them being able to go to the authorities.

chasdal on December 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I continue to wonder at the silence of legal immigrants to the United States. People who followed the rules and waited in line. Are they not offended by the double standard? You would think — so would Bill Clinton if he pulled his head out of his a** once in a while — that we don’t have immigration in the U.S. other than illegal immigration. Not so.

As for the tuition question, where are the outraged young people? A college can only take so many students. Slots taken by illegal aliens admitted with in-state tuition will not be available to legitimate citizens of the state. Does that not concern the kids whose slots will be taken? Apparently not.

IndieDogg on December 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Amnesty only leads to more illegal aliens crossing the border because if America does it once (in the Reagan years) and twice (in the Obummer years, of course, they will do it a third time.

Mr. Christie, you just lost my vote. I’ll vote third party before I’d vote for you.

polarglen on December 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I can’t wait not to vote for this guy.

For every hispanic the republicans pander to they lose 10 of their base.

jukin3 on December 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I will never vote for CC.

derft on December 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Wigglesworth on December 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Same here.

And I would even work for their defeat in the general!

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Agreed. I cannot get myself to read all the way through articles like this.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Any parent should just have their child claim to be an undocumented ailen when applying for college. When the administator asked for proof, simply reply “what part of undoucumented dont you understand”.You can also say your are from Mexico and you are a minority there also as you’re a Mexican that doesnt speak Spanish.
They wont know what to do.

Thicklugdonkey on December 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Does it really matter if there are Democrats pushing for welfare for the permanent welfare class or RINOs pushing for corporate welfare for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the crony capitalists/socialists it supports (and amnesty is a large part of that corporate welfare)?

bw222 on December 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Illegal alien amnesty is my number issue. You are quite wrong.

I will never vote for any pro-amnesty candidate.

bluegill on December 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

But on paper, he will be better than Hillary. So, you will be doing the same as people who didn’t vote for Romney. Just saying. It’s the exact same logic. So get ready to be pummeled with “purist” remarks. That goes for every other person here who used the excuse “he’s better than the Democrat” line.

Dongemaharu on December 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM

“He’s better than Hillary on paper?” What difference does it make?

After the GOPe has forced conservatives to eat crap sandwich after crap sandwich, the party elite has no one to blame but themselves for any purist arguments. And this goes not just for Kristie Kreme, Paul Ryan (who should be laughed off of every stage he ever comes on henceforth), Rubio, Huckabee and King Peter.

Myron Falwell on December 19, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I agree with the limits on this. It doesn’t grant blanket in state tuition to all illegals, only those that really did grow up in that state. The kids did not commit a crime and they should not be punished for the crime of their parents (if you are the Christian type, maybe Ezekiel 18:20 will give you the answer). I have no problem giving in-state tuition to people who really are state residents who did not willingly and knowingly commit a crime in getting there.

crosspatch on December 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

One thing to remember is that a state its size and its heavy tax burden, NJ is behind most states in terms of higher public education. I have several friends in NJ and they all ended up sending their kids out of state for college.

Compare NJ to Michigan, which is slightly larger than NJ but has many more outstanding public universities, Name ONE New Jersey public university other that Rutgers.

bw222 on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

It was catastrophically stupid when Perry wanted it, and it’s still catastrophically stupid.

What the ever-loving-f*ck. Illegals get preferential treatment to US CITIZENS with this – period.

crosspatch on December 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Wait, wait – no one’s saying ‘punish’ them – the retort is “why are we *rewarding* them? Why should they be treated preferentially over US citizens from other states, or international students who, you know, aren’t here illegally, whether their fault or not? What message do we send by telling a Mexican student who lives in Mexico City and wants to attend university here that he/she must pay higher tuition than a Mexican kid living here in New Jersey illegally? What message does that send to his parents and relatives? Family friends? Other Mexican families raising kids that want them to go to school here someday?

Are you *serious*?

This country is more through-the-looking-glass insane every day.

Midas on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

loveofcountry

Not sure which country you love, but it clearly isn’t this one.

Midas on December 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Myron Falwell on December 19, 2013 at 9:59 PM

That’s exactly right. But a lot of people here and more well known bloggers and pundits are telling every conservative who stayed home last year that they’re to blame fore everything, but at the same time are saying they will not vote for Christie in the general. So, there ya go.

Dongemaharu on December 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM

crosspatch

So, per your logic, if a parent gives his kid a stolen bike, we have to let him keep the bike because he shouldn’t be punished for the crimes of his parents? Yeah, and some people actually believe there’s a chance in hell of saving this country, lol.

Meanwhile, back here in the real world, American children are punished every day for not only the crimes of their parents, but their non-criminal decisions as well. For example, a kid from NC has to pay out of state tuition if wants to go to college in NJ. That’s not fair,is it? I mean, why should he be punished for the actions of his parents?

xblade on December 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM

What happens if illegals become legal?

William Eaton on December 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Import more illegals. And more, and more, and more.

David Blue on December 20, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Question for the Republican party is how much pandering to illegal aliens can you do before you have a net loss of votes as more conservative voters decide to just stay home or to cast their vote for a Democrat funded libertarian candidate.

Nomas on December 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Nomas on December 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

That’s the short term question. The long term question for a totally self-interested party is: is it smart to go along with policies that inexorably reduce your base as a share of the electorate and finally will eliminate it?

David Blue on December 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM

That’s not how it will happen.

Once the “legalization” bill is passed, La Raza will sue in federal court to force the government to grant full citizenship under the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment. They will argue the same thing that the homosexuals argued in the DOMA case: that the government cannot discriminate against a class of people in granting government benefits and that there is no compelling state interest in denying citizenship to millions whom the governmant has already declared legal residents. This case will be filed in California and will be won, and the Obama Justice Department will decline to appeal it.

A single judge in California will end up granting citizenship to 20 million people. Just in time for the 2016 election. And there will be nothing any of us can do about it.

So yeah, Chris Christie had better start pandering to them, they will all be voting in the next Presidential election.

rockmom on December 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM

rockmom on December 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM

That’s the day I cash in all my assets and leave for Belize. They can have the country if this happens.

NJ Red on December 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM