Let’s not have any reality in our reality television, please

posted at 10:01 am on December 19, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

I’ll start off my rant on A&E and the Duck Dynasty contretemps with a couple of disclosures. First, I have never seen the show, although I’ve seen plenty of advertising for and commentary about it.  I mostly stopped watching A&E when it stopped being about arts and entertainment, just like I stopped watching Bio when it stopped being about biographies and became the Exorcist Channel a few years ago.  Except for one show — 48 Hours — I don’t watch reality TV at all.

Why? Because it falls into two categories — Freak Shows and Contrived Contests.  When A&E suspended Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson, I happened to be watching 48 Hours, and one of the ads was for a new A&E (or Bio) show, Dinner Party Wars. It’s exactly what it sounds like — an opportunity for urbanites to talk smack about hors d’oeurve.  It’s part of the TV industry’s attempts to produce cheap shows that don’t have to pay writers and actors by either conning people into buying into false “reality” drama or pointing fingers at people who are different from themselves and laughing at them.

That’s what makes this decision by A&E so absurd. Duck Dynasty is clearly on their schedule for the latter purpose — because the Robertsons are so different from their target audience that they may as well be aliens.  That’s fine for the Robertsons, who have a large following, and A&E too, for that matter, even if it’s not my taste.  I wouldn’t demand that they stop airing reality television; I’m just not going to participate in it, that’s all.

But suspending Robertson for expressing a routine Christian belief an interview promoting the show? That’s when Christianity apparently becomes just too freakily realistic for A&E.  Let’s look at what Robertson said to GQ, as Mary Katharine did last night:

Out here in these woods, without any cameras around, Phil is free to say what he wants. Maybe a little too free. He’s got lots of thoughts on modern immorality, and there’s no stopping them from rushing out. Like this one:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.” …

Even though he’s in the far corner of the room, Phil dominates the house. There are times when he doesn’t look you in the eye while he’s speaking—he looks just off to the side of you, as if Jesus were standing nearby, holding a stack of cue cards. Everyone else in the room just stares at his phone, or at the TV, or holds side conversations as Phil preaches.

“We’re Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television,” he tells me. “You put in your article that the Robertson family really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and let’s get on with it, and everything will turn around.”

What does repentance entail? Well, in Robertson’s worldview, America was a country founded upon Christian values (Thou shalt not kill, etc.), and he believes that the gradual removal of Christian symbolism from public spaces has diluted those founding principles. (He and Si take turns going on about why the Ten Commandments ought to be displayed outside courthouses.) He sees the popularity of Duck Dynasty as a small corrective to all that we have lost.

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.”

What, in your mind, is sinful?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

A few people on Twitter claimed that Robertson equated homosexuality with bestiality, but more accurately, he put homosexuality in a category by itself and equated bestiality with heterosexual promiscuity.  Otherwise, he quoted Corinthians, which is standard Scripture for all Christian denominations, even if he offered a separate aside of a more blunt description of sexual organs than some wilting flowers seem to be able to handle. I wouldn’t have put it this way, but I’m a writer, not a small businessman with less time on my hands.

Anyway, the point is this: A&E knew that the Robertsons were fundamentalist Christians when they started making oodles of money off of them.  That was part of the schtick. In fact, that’s part of GQ’s schtick in this interview, too, which comes across in bucketloads in the profile — pointing at the rednecks and laughing.  Yet the moment that Phil Robertson expresses what is actually a mainstream Christian belief in sin, he’s booted off the show because he’s … what?  Too real?  Or too Christian?

Some people argue that this isn’t a First Amendment issue, and they’re right.  It’s not a case of government censorship, but then again, no critic of this action that I’ve read or heard is insisting that the government or a court restore Robertson to the show, either.  It’s a case of egregious hypocrisy, and a case of anti-Christian bigotry posing as a tolerance stunt. And this coming from a media outlet that survives on so-called reality television.

That’s worth pointing out, even if I think A&E is largely a joke, and never bother to tune into Duck Dynasty.

Matt Lewis writes today that this shows why we can’t ever escape the culture wars:

As RedState’s Erick Erickson constantly reminds us: “You Will Be Made to Care.”

And so, if you own a flower shop and — because of your religious convictions — decline to work for a gay wedding, you will be made to care. If your five-year old son makes a “gun gesture” with his hand, you will be made to care. If you’re a redneck in Louisiana who believes homosexuality is a sin, you will be made to care.

At some point, this became a zero-sum game. You’re either in the “Duck Dynasty” camp or the “Pajama Boy” camp. Somebody will lose.

No matter how hard you try, you simply cannot be a conscientious objector in the culture war.

Just when I thought I was out…they pull me back in.

Maybe A&E should just stick with such keen, insightful programming as Celebrity Ghost Stories, and give D-list celebs a little more work.

Update: Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal describes the “tolerance” perfectly:

“Phil Robertson and his family are great citizens of the State of Louisiana. The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with. I don’t agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV. In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive. But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views. In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended,” said Jindal in a prepared statement.

They only “tolerate” it when they can make a buck off of it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 9

Pope Francis is nominated as person of the year by The Advocate and he holds the same beliefs about Sin expressed by Robertson…

Moonbats are fickle.

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

The fallout has been clear. The liberals and the homos have sided with their theocracy allies(worldview echatons), teh mohammedians.

Murphy9 on December 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

First, I have never seen the show, although I’ve seen plenty of advertising for and commentary about it. I mostly stopped watching A&E when it stopped being about arts and entertainment, just like I stopped watching Bio when it stopped being about biographies and became the Exorcist Channel a few years ago. Except for one show — 48 Hours — I don’t watch reality TV at all.

Why? Because it falls into two categories — Freak Shows and Contrived Contests.

Only reason I’ve watched A&E is because of DUCK DYNASTY. Otherwise, I don’t watch it.

I am sure I’m not the only viewer/consumer in this land who is motivated likewise. A&E just took it’s own poison pill by ditching Phil Robertson. And I strongly doubt the rest of the Roberston family will continue on A&E after this.

I hope they don’t, in other words. They should immediately do all that is possible to move elsewhere. If/when they do, their viewers will follow with them. And ::faketears:: A&E will be left to their own offensive pity party with GLAAD.

Lourdes on December 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM

The Museum of Tolerance:

warden on December 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM

A&E can do what it wants as a private concern, but so can I. I’ll never watch the network again.

NotCoach on December 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

So the moonbat logic is…

“Yet while Lucas Grindley, in his cover story, expresses admiration for Francis, he does not ignore his stance against gay marriage, noting that the pope has called it a “destructive attack on God’s plan” and has written that marriage should be a “stable union of man and woman.”

Get named Person of the Year by the advocate…

Express heterosexual preference for Women using anatomical terminology in an interview…

Get fired from the most popular show on cable…

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Already sent my email to A&E letting them know that I’m taking a break with Phil. No more A&E for me.

The hypocrisy in their intolerance toward Phil’s views while preaching that we all need to be tolerant of each others views is mind boggling. BUT, that’s where most liberals are these days.

Free Indeed on December 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Moonbats are fickle.

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Fickle isn’t the word. They are dishonest. They know what Francis stands for, but they see him as a useful prop in dismantling Catholic dogma.

NotCoach on December 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Moonbats are fickle.

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Yes, Phil Robertson said the same thing that Pope Francis said but in his own language (Phil’s).

BUT the ONLY reason that hmsxl-activists have been hyping Pope Francis is: because they’re exploiting what he said by misquoting what he said.

They’re eliminating everything Pope Francis said except his closing remark, “who am I to judge.”

WHAT THE POPE ACTUALLY SAID: “If (someone engaged in homosxlty) approaches Jesus/Christ (and asks for forgiveness or seeks forgiveness of his sins), then who am I to judge?”

Robertson said he loves all and doesn’t judge where a person spends their eternity, that that’s up to God (and it is).

Their statements express the same thing.

BUT hmsxls think they can exploit what the Pope said by misquoting him (by preventing publication of his full expression) while they found an easy target in Robertson’s relationship with A&E, or, rather, properly viewed A&E as fully exploitable by attacking Robertson.

Left still thinks if it can hug the misquoted Pope enough, that the Catholic CHurch will “sanction ‘gay’ marriage”. Not ever going to happen but one thing we can all count on by now is that the hm-activist sources will.always.lie.

Lourdes on December 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I like fired up Ed.

Kataklysmic on December 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

The Ducks were supposed to be quaint bumpkins stumbling around the woods and almost killing one another with accidental shotgun blasts, shoveling food into their mouths without using utensils and being mystified by modern toiletry. That’s the image every urban hipster has of anyone living outside the ring suburbs of any large city.

Then it turns out those dudes actually have opinions, learned insights, the ability to use words longer than one syllable, and the hipsters are like “WTF! They’re able to think on their own!”

I believe people like the Ducks scare the ever lovin’ shiite out of liberals because the libs know that people out here can take care of themselves and take care of them..*ahem*..if push came to shove.

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

PC TV, not conservatives need apply.

Oil Can on December 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

This is popcorn time. A&E has the #1 cable show by a factor of three over its nearest competitor. I can’t imagine a single advertiser on that show being worried about GLAAD advocates getting agitated. The Robertsons sure don’t need A&E like A&E needs the Robertsons in this metric.

I see a Chik-Fil-A shindig all over again. Let’s see how they unwind this one.

DanMan on December 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

The key aspect to the sin issue, which Pope Francis referred to, AND which Phil Robertson did likewise, is that if a person repents their sin/s — any, all — and sincerely seeks forgiveness for them through Christ, the sins are forgiven.

It means one is no longer sinning afterward (repentance involves admittance of the sinful nature of the act/s, and proceeds to forgiveness by rejecting the act/s).

The Left won’t include Pope Francis’ full statement in their lauds BECAUSE it’d mean they’d have to agree with him and that’d mean, they’d admit the sinful nature of their acts, etc.

Since they’re NOT repenting, then, they can’t appreciate the full statement by the Pope and thus, they misquote him.

Lourdes on December 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

And so, if you own a flower shop and — because of your religious convictions — decline to work for a gay wedding, you will be made to care. If your five-year old son makes a “gun gesture” with his hand, you will be made to care. If you’re a redneck in Louisiana who believes homosexuality is a sin, you will be made to care.

This is, sad to say, A&E’s biggest “reality” show. It seems as if they managed to mess it up. Had Robertson been talking about devil worship or something A&E would have been fine with that. But to quote the Bible and talk in Christian terms…….. The gays just can’t have that. Gays and atheists are about the most intolerant lot of hypersensitive selfish idiots that one can find.

Robertson must be punished because of one reason only- he’s a SCWM (Southern Christian white male).

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

“…It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended,” said Jindal in a prepared statement.”

Muck Dynasty

Shy Guy on December 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

And Bravo has become slutty women that yell at each other and dress 20 years younger then they should. I hate that channel and my wife watches it all the time. I told that channel is bad for your soul.

Oil Can on December 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Spot on Ed

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Why? Because it falls into two categories — Freak Shows and Contrived Contests.

That’s true, but Top Shot was pretty fun to watch … even with all the silly banter. And I like Big Break, too. Good shooting and some fun golf shots give leeway to the silliness outside of the competitions.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM

True, not a 1st Amendment issue. But how is it not a federal civil rights violation to punish someone in your employ for their religious views?

whatcat on December 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Those that preach tolerance is great, are the most intolerable pieces of shiite in the country. We need to start deporting liberals. I’d happily support amnesty for illegals if we deported 30-40 million progressive scumbags first.

Flange on December 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

You’re right. I’m sure A&E counted on DUCK DYNASTY being a source to confirm ridicule of “rural white people who use guns and run around in the mud and…”

I’m sure the Left’s believed they’d have “a popular show” that would prove the negative stereotype and were shocked that the popularity of the show is based on the goodness and good sense of the Robertson’s themselves.

Lourdes on December 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

That’s the formula for Honey Boo Boo too (but with tiaras).

But yes, the urban hipsters sitting around in their onesies are shocked that these guys are not living up to the promised stereotypes they have of folks who live in Northern Louisiana (of which they know nothing other than it isn’t New Orleans).

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Like Ed, I believe that A&E launched the show with the idea of the Robertsons being a “sideshow” for “the smartest people in the room” to point and laugh at.

It turned out that the joke was on them, because…

1. The Robinsons became loved, and laughed with, not at.

2. They, in fact, turned out to be “the smartest people in the room”

Oh yeah, about this “homophobia” you accuse me and other Christian American Conservatives of having…

1. We love the sinner. We hate the sin.

2. Tell that to the Liberal who described me as a “B–l S–king Tea Bagger” in response to my posting of yesterday’s Blog on Ted Cruz’s Facebook Page.

A & E, like the rest of America’s Liberals, who ignore their own hypocrisy, should remember the old maxim concerning glass houses.

As demonstrated by the implosion of their fallen messiah’s Presidency, their “house” is already beginning to crumble around them.

And, this, too, shall pass…

kingsjester on December 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM

And, boy, does Disney look stupid with this A&E act.

Disney: co-owner of A&E.

Lourdes on December 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM

NotCoach on December 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

My family dumped cable last year right after the election, we got a Roku instead. We thought we might miss it a little bit. But no
NOT ONE LITTLE BIT.

MontanaMmmm on December 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I was watching the reruns when this news broke yesterday. I turned it off and probably won’t ever turn it back on.

Sick of the PC crap.

Sick of the POTUS calling people “teabaggers” and no one blinks an eye and Phil Robertson gets suspended for expressing his faith.

gophergirl on December 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Oil Can on December 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I remember when MTV actually featured music and videos instead of slutty teen moms.

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

The employment issue – I have a hunch that the contract between a TV show & a network defines both parties as independent contractors. If that is the case, either party terminates the contract without any federal employees’ rights being involved.

22044 on December 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Some people argue that this isn’t a First Amendment issue, and they’re right. It’s not a case of government censorship, but then again, no critic of this action that I’ve read or heard is insisting that the government or a court restore Robertson to the show, either. It’s a case of egregious hypocrisy, and a case of anti-Christian bigotry posing as a tolerance stunt. And this coming from a media outlet that survives on so-called reality television.

I’ve never watched an episode of Duck Dynasty(I may have seen a few minutes of it while channel-surfing). And I’m sick and tired of seeing their merchandise at the store every damn time I’m there. And hell, I’d even go so far as to agree with the idea that A&E is perfectly within their rights to fire the dude over his remarks.

But here’s where A&E loses me. Right now, they’re still airing the show and Phil’s right there in every episode. They’re profiting off of the guy after firing him because of what he said about homosexuality. If A&E was really about principles and not just caving into pressure from the gay mafia and their soldiers on the left, they’d pull the entire series off the air or at least do their best to edit Phil completely out of it.

Instead, they’re coming off as hypocrites who are more than happy to cash in on Duck Dynasty’s enduring popularity.

Doughboy on December 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

whatcat on December 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Of course, that “civil rights” law is totally un-Constitutional … Employers have the right to fire people for whatever reason. Private property rights are the fount of all individual liberty, after all.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Robertson discussed his opinion on some aspects of the nature of Sin…especially in the culture…

To secular moonbats there should be no discussion of morality in the public sphere whatsoever…

““This is the struggle of Christians. It is our struggle every day. And we do not always have the courage to speak as Paul spoke about this struggle. We always seek a way of justification: ‘But yes, we are all sinners.’ But we say it like that, don’t we? This says it dramatically: it is our struggle. And if we don’t recognize this, we will never be able to have God’s forgiveness. Because if being a sinner is a word, a way of speaking, a manner of speaking, we have no need of God’s forgiveness. But if it is a reality that makes us slaves, we need this interior liberation of the Lord, of that force. But more important here is that, to find the way out, Paul confesses his sin to the community, his tendency to sin. He doesn’t hide it.”
Confession of sins, done with humility, is something the Church requires of all of us, Pope Francis noted, citing the invitation of Saint James: “Confess your sins to one another.” Not to get noticed by others, the Pope explained, “but to give glory to God,” to recognise that it is God Who saves me….

“Little children have that wisdom: when a child comes to confess, he never says something general. ‘But father, I did this and I did that to my aunt, another time I said this word’ and they say the word. But they are concrete, eh? They have that simplicity of the truth. And we always have the tendency to hide the reality of our failings. But there is something beautiful: when we confess our sins as they are in the presence of God, we always feel that grace of shame. Being ashamed in the sight of God is a grace. It is a grace: ‘I am ashamed of myself.’ We think of Peter when, after the miracle of Jesus on the lake, [he said] ‘Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinner.’ He is ashamed of his sins in the presence of the sanctity of Jesus.”

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

A&E have clearly violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act which prohibits adverse employment actions based on an employee’s religious beliefs. Robertson was asked what he considers sin and answered based on the tenants of his religious. This is, therefore, a prima facia case that any first year law student could win. Phil just made another 10 mill, if he bothers to peruse it.

devan95 on December 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Huge fan, simple conclusion–A&E needs DD more than DD needs A&E. I rest my case.

hillsoftx on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

A&E has a new show in the works to replace DD.

It’s called Butt *uck Dynasty.

Starring Reggie Love and Kal Penn.

HumpBot Salvation on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Moonbats are fickle.

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

NotCoach on December 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM

What NotCoach wrote ^^.

Lourdes on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

This decision is clearly ideological and not driven by business acumen. When you have the highest rated cable show on television, you do not fire or suspend one of the main characters and risk upsetting your 15+ million fans to assuage the feelings of a small minority of people. Millions of people will bail on the network in general, and the show in particular. Hopefully, when their contract ends, they can move to CMT or another network and thrive there.

stvnscott on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

He said something offense and got suspended for it. Way too many posts about this socon issue. No wonder the Republicans are bleeding supporters.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

devan95 on December 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Brilliant. Now we’ll see liberals hating on the Civil Rights Act.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

This is a tremendous amount of free publicity. Their show was going to get cancelled in a few years at most because it was “aging” and running out of contrived plots. By doing this A&E breathed new life into these guys and the show. Duck Dynasty stuff will be flying off the shelf for Christmas now. And maybe that was the whole point to the drama.

Johnnyreb on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I’m so tired of living in Obama World.

/Seriously. Tired of this crap.

Key West Reader on December 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

NotCoach on December 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Agreed. Beyond that, the only reason I take an interest is that the gay-agenda crowd are lighting their hair on fire as they scream in opposition to a fundamental belief held by many Americans. And those who don’t have the guts to declare that same belief, still privately hold it and keep their mouths shut for fear of childish ridicule.

BuckeyeSam on December 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Because after all morality is ambivalent and ethics are situational, right?/.

Pathetic.

kingsjester on December 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I remember when NBC was nothing but a herd of frumpy Communists hating on America, now it’s a herd of well-dressed Communists hating on America.

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

This started out looking like a terrible mistake by Robertson. I’m now thinking it was sheer genius.
Duck Dynasty is now bigger than the pathetic network that airs it. Seriously… go to Walmart, Academy, any major grocery chain, etc. The Robertson family is bigger than any “star” out there right now.
In the past, our media betters could convince us that Phil was terrible and should be punished and we’d all slink away and feel bad that crazy old Phil blew up one of our favorite shows.
But that isn’t happening. Heck, I think Duck Dynasty is going to sell more stuff and have even more vocal support now than ever. It’s not about the show anymore. It’s about what it stands for.
I’m gonna buy anything I see this week with Phil Robertson’s face on it. Think I’m the only one? Right.

Sugar Land on December 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I have not watched ‘Duck Dynasty’ and don’t remember the last time I watched A&E. I don’t dislike A&E, I just don’t notice anything I want to watch on it while channel surfing. I have observed all the clamour over the ‘Duck Dynasty’ and always thought good on them for having a show but realized they were there because A&E was making money.

ANY Christian that is actually a christian would be in line with what the Bible says about homosexuality being a sin. But, God saves sinners who repent. Enough said.

TerryW on December 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I guess you didn’t know that it was screaming, yelling, cursing and condemning from the likes of GLAAD members to A&E that brought about this condemnation of Phil Robertson.

Lots and lots of ranting drama from hmsxl-activists, demanding they be entertained by “not making them see him” on “their” tv.

Lourdes on December 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Its not “reality TV.” All of these shows are scripted.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

LOL!

kingsjester on December 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

It’s because many on the right(and middle for that matter) view this as a fight over the First Amendment. Yes, A&E legally can suspend or fire the dude over this. But the problem is that we’re treading a very dangerous line here where if you don’t speak exactly as the thought police demand, you get destroyed. And it’s not just limited to what Phil Robertson said. Look at how people who merely profess the belief that marriage should remain between a man and a woman are treated today.

Doughboy on December 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

A&E is not a nameless faceless network. There are people there that made this decision. We need to know their names and what their beliefs are. Maybe ask their sponsors if they agree with them?

d1carter on December 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Because after all morality is ambivalent and ethics are situational, right?/.

Pathetic.

kingsjester on December 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Socons rant about gays; a hard issue to attract others to your tent. Fact.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

As I said yesterday re: Podesta, enough being offended.
Did anyone assume this guy held any other view? Up ’til now did A&E brass assume he was just waiting to be asked to be a spokesman for marriage equality?
I don’t like what he said, but I don’t know the guy at all. i’ll assume he has some redeeming qualities.
A&E should’ve just shrugged this off and said ‘oh well, no big surprise here’.
Where this issues really belongs is with Christians. Let them figure out how to rationalize the internal conflicts of a ‘morality’ that too often results in comments like the ones he made.
Everyone else should just ignore him. He’s a relic of another time and his only place now is in cheap entertainment.

verbaluce on December 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Derp!

HumpBot Salvation on December 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

NotCoach on December 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Moonbats are delusional.

Pope Francis isn’t going to dismantle the Church to win a popularity contest.

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Not bowing to the PC machine is a socon issue?

Cowards reveal themselves willingly.

nobar on December 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

This decision is clearly ideological and not driven by business acumen.

stvnscott on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Driven by intolerant hate groups like GLADD. All such groups have to do is threaten boycott because they are offended and A&E will bend over backwards to accomodate them.

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Why should I want to follow political beliefs that do not co-exist equally with my Faith?

As far as rants and intolerance, start with the man in the mirror, Skippy.

kingsjester on December 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Doughboy on December 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Nothing at all to do with the First Amendment. A private company can to what they want.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Then change your channel. pffft.

MontanaMmmm on December 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM

devan95 on December 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Brilliant. Now we’ll see liberals hating on the Civil Rights Act.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Civil Rights don’t apply to bible thumpin’ crackas livin’ in the south or sumthin’

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Not bowing to the PC machine is a socon issue?

Cowards reveal themselves willingly.

nobar on December 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I’m not going to support anti-gay remarks. He said it, deal with the consequences.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Looks like the anti-socon mouth breather is out for his one hour of fresh air.

22044 on December 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I think Willie would be hardest hit but, the family could just walk away from the show. Their faith is more important than fame.

tdarrington on December 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I wonder if they’ll do to him what they did to poor ole Paula Deen….

Key West Reader on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Then change your channel. pffft.

MontanaMmmm on December 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I don’t even watch the show.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Its not “reality TV.” All of these shows are scripted.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

And what, pray tell, does that have to do with anything?

You know what, answer the following first. Let’s keep it simple for you.

Here’s a simple question for you. Which of the founding fathers did not subscribe to the communitarian ethos Calhoun deploys to rationalize slavery? *sets sundial*

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

None. They weren’t nascent Commies like John C. Calhoun, and full blown Commies like you. Don’t you think you need to provide some proof for such a ridiculous smear there Mr. Calhoun? You’re a history perfesser, right?

NotCoach on August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh dear God….hold on, give me 10 minutes.

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Hmm, I might have to think you don’t know what you’re talking about when you say all reality shows are scripted when we consider the above past comments.

NotCoach on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I don’t even watch the show.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Nothing like an informed opinion./

kingsjester on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Ed,
This may seem like splitting hairs, but you said

I would not call a family that just did a deal for wine endorsements “fundamentalists”. No fundamentalists would claim them either. That’s why there was a kerfuffle a few weeks ago when the business deal was announced.

The Robertsons would more rightly be called evangelicals — still conservative in their theology, but more understanding of the importance of Grace and it’s effects on our interactions in the world.

God bless Phil and the whole family for their commitment to God’s principles.

rlyle on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I recall an earlier interview where Phil threatened to walk after the first season because AE wanted him to tone down the “God” talk and eliminate the prayer at the end of the show.

tdarrington on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Looks like the anti-socon mouth breather is out for his one hour of fresh air.

22044 on December 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Socons are the albatross.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

“It seems like, to me, a v@gina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s @nus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

Reading is just too hard for libertines.

nobar on December 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Nothing like an informed opinion./

kingsjester on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Yeah, you can’t have an opinion on a stupid comment unless I watch the show. Tool.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Classy.

How old are you…14?

kingsjester on December 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Socons are the albatross.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Geez. You’re boring. But libertines tend to be.

22044 on December 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

verbaluce on December 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

As a Christian maybe I’m too stupid to see the internal conflict you allude to. Mind pointing it out for my slow self?

NotCoach on December 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Lourdes on December 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Isn’t it enough that Glee, Modern Family, and Will & Grace run constantly on cable stations? It’s all East Coast/West Coast gay all the time.

I’ve even noticed that in reruns of shows from 10 to 15 years ago in which the subject of homosexuality or a gay character popped up and the show had a character using the words f*g or f*ggot they’re bleeped out. These weren’t gratuitous uses and, indeed, were a part of the storytelling. Evidently, they’re the new n*gger, though I don’t see the moral equivalence. The onion-skin sensitivity of the gay community.

BuckeyeSam on December 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Taking then off the air clears up some time to watch Bob Costas and Obama’s gay athlete delegation preach about tolerance from Sochi.

That should be fun.

kcewa on December 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I don’t even watch the show.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Right over your head lol…The Hot Air channel.

MontanaMmmm on December 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I wonder if they’ll do to him what they did to poor ole Paula Deen….

Key West Reader on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

That’s exactly what they’re after.

BuckeyeSam on December 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Derp!

HumpBot Salvation on December 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Give her some space, she’s feeling righteously offended.

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM

They only “tolerate” it when they can make a buck off of it.

No, they can only “tolerate” it when the people they’re laughing and pointing at don’t get uppity. It’s not the money, it’s the being-able-to-look-down-their-noses.

GWB on December 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Socons are the albatross.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Socons is the majority of the country. How’d that gay marriage thing work out with black voters in North Carolina?

oldroy on December 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Brilliant. Now we’ll see liberals hating on the Civil Rights Act.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

worse, 1st amendment. See Doughboy at 10:26 am and check out what they’re doing in the New Jersey legislature right now. The are demanding accommodation in any religious setting of their choosing or its, like you say, a civil rights violation. Which would render the 1st amendment meaningless.

DanMan on December 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Flange on December 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Certainly always seems that way.

I’m sorry, but activists from the LGBT “community” have done nothing but turn themselves into a pack of yapping shih-tzus. They do nothing but grate on the nerves.

lynncgb on December 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Please educate us all on what sin is. Until then, STFU. You are just as bad as the leftist trolls with your stereotyping nonsense. You address nothing at all in what Robertson said, you only jump on the intolerance bandwagon.

NotCoach on December 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Tolerance. A one way street.

Bmore on December 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I’ll stick with my comment on this topic from the other thread.

Bmore on December 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Still gonna stick with my first comment.

Bmore on December 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Still going to stick with my first comment. ; )

Bmore on December 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Yep. Gonna stand by my first comment.

Bmore on December 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM

As I said yesterday re: Podesta, enough being offended.
A&E should’ve just shrugged this off and said ‘oh well, no big surprise here’.

verbaluce on December 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Can you, in very concise terms, describe what is wrong with what he said?

stvnscott on December 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Moonbats are fickle.

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

NotCoach on December 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM

What NotCoach wrote ^^.

Lourdes on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Fickle is a form of dishonesty.

Fickle:

marked by lack of steadfastness, constancy, or stability : given to erratic changeableness.

Middle English fikel deceitful, inconstant, from Old English ficol deceitful; akin to Old English befician to deceive, and probably to Old English fāh hostile.

In my opinion observing the agenda as it’s developed over decades…It is a coercive agenda rife with fallacies and inconstancy whose sole aim is to demand preferential status and to silence criticism.

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Socons are the albatross.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Back to trolling again I see. Panthers are an endangered species.

Bmore on December 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

“tolerance” and “free speech” are only acceptable when you conform and promote the lefts agenda

Pomai on December 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM

oldroy on December 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Keep up the Socon wishcasting. You could have a positive impact on elections but instead choose to support anti-gay legislation. You will continue, rightfully so, to be marginalized.

Panther on December 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

A&E must think that the LGBT community watches Duck Dynasty. I bet that very, very few of them do.

fight like a girl on December 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

This was all covered in the Book of Wisdom, btw. A&E celebrates crime, debauchery, and broken-ness. When push comes to shove, they will select the debauched GLAD over the upright man:

‘Come then, let us enjoy the good things of today, let us use created things with the zest of youth: take our fill of the dearest wines and perfumes, on no account forgo the flowers of spring
but crown ourselves with rosebuds before they wither,

no meadow excluded from our orgy; let us leave the signs of our revelry everywhere, since this is our portion, this our lot!

‘As for the upright man who is poor, let us oppress him; let us not spare the widow, nor respect old age, white-haired with many years. . . .12 Let us lay traps for the upright man, since he annoys us and opposes our way of life, reproaches us for our sins against the Law, and accuses us of sins against our upbringing.

He claims to have knowledge of God, and calls himself a child of the Lord. We see him as a reproof to our way of thinking, the very sight of him weighs our spirits down; for his kind of life is not like other people’s, and his ways are quite different.

In his opinion we are counterfeit; he avoids our ways as he would filth; he proclaims the final end of the upright as blessed and boasts of having God for his father.

Herald of Woe on December 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

From what I’ve seen in the news, I kinda like these Duck Dynasty guys. And it sucks that the TV execs are ok with the kind of garbage they regularly put out on other shows – but these guys are a problem.
But we don’t watch ANY reality shows of any kind, so I don’t have anything to say about the show itself.

dentarthurdent on December 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Johnnyreb on December 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I’ve never seen the show but this was my first thought.

Dr. Frank Enstine on December 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Our Messiah (Phil’s and mine anyway) holds our cue cards.

Their messiah needs a teleprompter.

That about covers it.

questionmark on December 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM

verbaluce on December 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Agreed, I too am sick of these hypocrites who scream “Hands off my body!” in one breath and applaud a city government restricting access to oversized soda cups on the other because it’s supposedly bad for our health.

Bishop on December 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM