Video: “We thought he was going to be … the next Messiah”

posted at 10:01 am on December 18, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Who has been hurt by Barack Obama’s plummeting poll numbers? The President himself, of course, and his administration, and incumbent Democrats running for re-election and away from the “you can keep your plan” promise. However, don’t forget the mainstream media, who sent dozens of reporters to Wasilla, Alaska to investigate the supposedly unprepared governor as a Vice Presidential candidate but couldn’t be bothered to look into the Chicago Machine to test the qualifications of a rookie Senator for the top spot.  Barbara Walters told Piers Morgan last night that everyone thought Obama was the Messiah, which is why his failures are so disappointing to them (via Newsbusters and Truth Revolt):

PIERS MORGAN, HOST: You have interviewed every president of my lifetime. Why is Obama facing so much opposition now? Why is he struggling so much to really fulfill the great flame of ambition and excitement that he was elected on originally in 2009?

BARBARA WALTERS: Well, you’ve touched on it to a degree. He made so many promises. We thought that he was going to be – I shouldn’t say this at Christmastime, but – the next messiah. And the whole ObamaCare, or whatever you want to call it, the Affordable Health Act, it just hasn’t worked for him, and he’s stumbled around on it, and people feel very disappointed because they expected more.

It’s very difficult when the expectations for you are very high. You’re almost better off when they are low and then they rise and rise. His were very high and they’ve dropped. But you know, he still has several years to go. What does he have, three years, Piers? And, you know, there will be a lot of changes, one thinks in that time.

Probably in the Senate, most immediately in terms of politics. In real terms, millions of Americans have already experienced “a lot of changes” by having their health insurance cancelled, thanks in large part to the media failing to demand an explanation of how the “keep your plan” promise was supposed to work. Don’t forget the skyrocketing premiums, which exposed the Obama promise of lowering premiums by $2500 as another cheap (so to speak) lie that the media didn’t scrutinize from its Messiah.

Lots of changes, yes, lots of changes.  Will the media stop giving Obama the Messiah treatment? That’s a change that we probably won’t see, and even Walters expresses hope in her statement that her Messiah will reappear over the next three years.  This Advent season, it’s probably better to trust in the true Messiah rather than Walters’, and certainly better than trusting in the media that propped him up.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I live on the south side of Chicago, and I knew that he was no Messiah more than ten years ago. He’s just another corruptocrat with a new angle on extortion.

southsideironworks on December 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

“We thought he was going to be … the next Messiah”

Apparently, “We” is the ‘royal plural’ for the leftwing mainstream media.

M240H on December 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

“I did not have sex with all those people I interviewed just for the money”.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on December 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

What do you mean “we”, kemo sabe?

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Gee Babs, there were a whole lot of us who weren’t fooled into believing he was the next Messiah.

rbj on December 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Well, it’s nice to see one of the ObamaMedia fessing up at least.

Chris of Rights on December 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Yes, but how many other candidates ate dog and lion?

The most qualified candidate evuh.

acyl72 on December 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I hope Brother Chris Matthews brings Bahbah back to the light.

Punchenko on December 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Do not put your faith and trust in a “man”. Didn’t Jesus say that? This obomination is morally, ethically, and spiritually – BANKRUPT.

HomeoftheBrave on December 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM

This interview really says a lot about the supposedly “atheist” left.

Doomberg on December 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Cause hanging around Bill Ayers, Tony Resko and Jeremiah Wright is so darn Messiah-like, right Babs?

hillsoftx on December 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

There is something seriously wrong with people who are looking for a man/woman to save them. Anyone who votes for someone because they believe that person can make the world a more perfect place is mentally deranged.

NotCoach on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I thought decrepit Grandma Wawa was an atheist? Messiah?

Who cares what this old biddy thinks anyway?

Mr. Arrogant on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

WTF is wrong with these people? We live in a Republic, not in a Kingdom.

WordsMatter on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

It’s all about the Messiah and his approval ratings. Not to mention “disappointed” is a rather weak word for people losing their health insurance.

antipc on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Good of her to tar the entire media with her sentiments.

DanMan on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Ironically, the only thing that will truly save Obama is a Republican House and Senate.

bflat879 on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Which means that you, the smartest people in any room, got suckered by a two-bit sideshow huckster.

Us rubes out here in flyover land, we saw through it all, but we’re the dumb ones.

Bishop on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Sorry Babs, but unless you show me proof that he was born in Bethlehem he ain’t no blinkin’ Messiah.

Now, if one of you nutless “reporters” want to play Pontius Pilate and “wash your hands” of this Runner-Up, be my guest. It’s been AGES since I’ve seen classic Mainstream Media reporting…!

BlaxPac on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

But you see what his problem REALLY is . . . high expectations he couldn’t possibly meet!

The lies? The corruption? The lawlessness? The heavy-handed, divisive tactics? Of these, not a word passes her lips.

BLOC on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

“We thought that he was going to be – I shouldn’t say this at Christmastime, but – the next messiah.”

You shouldn’t say that at ANY time, you idiot.

HiJack on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Well duh! At least they are giving up their air of objectivity now and admitting it.

Only one Messiah Babs and Obama ain’t it.

gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Heartache. The poor liberal sheeple reallize they got played.

Philly on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Barbara, it will get worse.

albill on December 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I had a momentary urge to reach through the screen and wring her scrawny neck, but thank God I already have a Messiah, and he wants me not to focus so much on the revolting spectacle of Obama worship that has been making me sick to my stomach since 2008. I told people then that he is a charlatan and they told me that I am racist. I cannot express just how deeply disturbing the entire experience has been from that day to this.

Xasprtr on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

It is called projection. They saw what they wanted to see. Nothing more and nothing less. The MSM made Obama into something he most certainly is not. We will be very lucky if we don’t pay dearly for that in the next few years.

Johnnyreb on December 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yeah, Ms Prissy, you of the effete intellectual elite got conned, and now your poor bruised egos won’t allow you to admit how stupid you were.

Just have another helping of ‘white guilt’, and resign yourselves to the fact that you’re all Obama’s whores. Bought and paid for.

GarandFan on December 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Will the media stop giving Obama the Messiah treatment?

No. They are merely glancing up, whilst lips are still firmly planted on his ass.

Bmore on December 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

And they still blame bush

Own him Babs

cmsinaz on December 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

And, in equally stunning news, Peggy Noonan says that “in recent weeks I have begun to worry about the basic competency of the administration…”

When I was an educator we used to say that “students learn at different rates.”

Babs and Pegs supply two prime examples.

Drained Brain on December 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Xasprtr on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

You don’t need to. All of us here at HA, even the idiot trolls, understand exactly how you feel.

HiJack on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

All hail

cmsinaz on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

NotCoach on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

They’re Puritans, dear. They landed in Massachusetts and have been trying to “save” and “perfect” people ever since.

Punchenko on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

As I posted earlier, this is the beginning of historical revisionism-

The theme is going to be that Obama didn’t fail so much as that he had such lofty goals he flew too close to the sun and his wings melted. It isn’t his fault that he failed but ours for not being ready to follow his leadership.

You heard it here first but it won’t be the last time.

Happy Nomad on December 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

NotCoach on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Brilliant Post.

ToddPA on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

The defantasization of Obama will take a long time. Perhaps it will never be completed.

Heck, it took UCLA 73 years to finally get the truth about FDR.

22044 on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

And yet they will continue the full vet on the next gop candidate and fawn over Hillary…

SSDD

cmsinaz on December 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

rbj on December 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Yeah, but you’re just a bunch of knuckle-dragging Neanderthal teabagging haters.

Kafir on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Liberals are so dumb.

derft on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

3 Days or 3 Years. He will rise again.

kcewa on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

“We thought he was going to be … the next Messiah”

What a sap…
All of them…

Thanks for helping to f*ck this country…b!tch..

Electrongod on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

BlaxPac on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I am sure Obama can make that correction in his birth certificate..

Electrongod on December 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Obama could never match the thrill Barbara felt when she held Castro’s gun in her lap.

RedRedRice on December 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Bishop on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

You do realize that you “rubes” don’t even register in Bab’s world, right? They don’t consider you dumb, they don’t even acknowledge that you exist! When they travel on their private jets from NYC to LA or Seattle, where you live might as well be Middle Earth for all they care.

Happy Nomad on December 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Personally, I would have liked to have seen this so-called “messiah” be given the full messiah treatment…

HiJack on December 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

A corrupt government depends on a corrupt media.

Thanks Barb.

gwelf on December 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

She should have pointed out that, not only were expectations very high and not met, but he lied, lied, lied, period.
And even some Democrats don’t like that.

Chessplayer on December 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Xasprtr on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Yes it has been but I’m also thankful for my strong faith that I knew he was bad news from the start.

I firmly believe he has no soul.

gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

You worship your messiah, I’ll worship mine.

SailorMark on December 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

But … why, Babs, WHY?
(I ask this as a longtime resident of the state of Illinois, where this relatively undistinguished politician hailed from when he rose to national prominance)

LOL, Party of Science! Fail.

dissent555 on December 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Jackwad. Your job is to be a cynic not an accolade.

clippermiami on December 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Wonder if the LA Times will decide its newsworthy now to release the supposed audio they have had since 2008 of Obama saying something so anti-Semetic that they’ve quashed it this entire time.

Marcus on December 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Lol. The “true” messiah seems to be about as absent as Obama is.

mazer9 on December 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

No Barbara, You and your fellow dumb dumbs thought he was going to be the next Messiah. Millions of others, like me, knew what a disaster electing a man who had been indoctrinated in Marxist thought his entire life this man was going to be for the country. Thanks, you faux intellectual _itch!!

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on December 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM

No Barbara, You and your fellow dumb dumbs thought he was going to be the next Messiah. Millions of others, like me, knew what a disaster electing a man who had been indoctrinated in Marxist thought his entire life what a disaster this man was going to be for the country. Thanks, you faux intellectual _itch!!

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Dear Baba Wawa, welcome to the party!

Bishop on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Nailed it!

ghostwalker1 on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Beware false prophets, Babs, you idiot. How is it us rubes in flyover country knew what an incompetent boob this fraud was, yet those of wealth, power and status did not? The veil of ignorance.

JAM on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

How long will it take before the book is written that explains to whitey progs their “high expectations” wasn’t because of some messianic belief, but legit racism.

They gave him standards that were unattainable and dismissed his lack of qualifications, because he was black. Now, they’re disappointed in him but keep holding out hope with a full three year caveat, as if he’s impervious to lame duck status in six months.

It’s amazing to me because it’s unequal treatment and they refuse to see it.

And the progs will do this with any Dem candidate whose not a straight, white, male.

As I said from the day he beat Hillary, this is Affirmative Action at it’s zenith. And now we have the results.

To paraphrase a friend of Zero’s, he was screwed as President not because he sold out, but because he bought in.

budfox on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Obama White House Calls GOP a “Cult Worthy of Jonestown”

Your Messiah:

Last week, when news broke that former-President Clinton Chief of Staff John Podesta had agreed to join the Obama White House as a “counselor,” The move to hire Podesta now, as opposed to waiting till after the 2014 elections, is an admission by the White House that their second term legislative agenda (immigration reform, gun control, and climate change) is already dead.

If progressives are going to make any progress expanding government during the rest of Obama’s presidency, it will only be through unilateral executive action. It will not be sanctioned by Congress.

Podesta, whose official mandate includes enforcement of numerous executive orders on emissions and the environment, suggested as much when he spoke with me earlier this fall about Obama’s team. “They need to focus on executive action given that they are facing a second term against a cult worthy of Jonestown in charge of one of the houses of Congress,” he told me.

kcewa on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Hey, wait a minute! Maybe there is something to this Obama being a messiah thingy. Has anybody ever seen Jesus and Obama at the same time? (libturd reasoning)

HiJack on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I guess he faces “so much opposition” compared to 2008, but I have to laugh anyway.

moo on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

No Barbara, You and your fellow dumb dumbs thought he was going to be the next Messiah. Millions of others, like me, knew what a disaster electing a man who had been indoctrinated in Marxist thought his entire life was going to be for the country. Thanks, you faux intellectual _itch!!

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

He’s not the Messiah. He’s a very naughty boy! Now, go away! -obozo’s mother

Flange on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Lol. The “true” messiah seems to be about as absent as Obama is.

mazer9 on December 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

To the blind, and to fools, that is true.

SailorMark on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Marcus on December 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I am fairly certain that tape has been destroyed.

Johnnyreb on December 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Translation: “It’s our fault for having such high expectations of him that no one could meet.”

GFY, Babs.

Maddie on December 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM

To the blind, and to fools, that is true.

SailorMark on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Yeah, I need some of those “messiah glasses”. How “foolish” of me.

mazer9 on December 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

“We thought he was going to be … the next Messiah”

Crucifixion before…. Easter?

ExpressoBold on December 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

You heard it here first but it won’t be the last time.

Happy Nomad on December 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

No question about it but don’t forget the obligatory, “Plus, for most of his presidency, he faced an obstructionist Republican opposition fueled by its extreme right wing, heavily influenced by such groups as the Tea Party and Christian religious fanatics.”

TXUS on December 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Right… And Podesta calls the GOP a cult.

climbnjump on December 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Edward:

You guys run the picture of this dessicated old hag with the promise of a video of her and Piers Morgan crying in their beer over the fact that President Stool Sample didn’t quite play out as advertised..

..AND crown the trifecta with a remaindered McInsane post on the left side?

Ya know, it’s tough enough getting this leftover cold anchovy pizza down for breakfast. Keeping it down has now become a real issue.

The War Planner on December 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

This interview really says a lot about the supposedly “atheist” left.

Doomberg on December 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Not really. Leftest political ideology is their religion. People like Castro, Lenin, Marx, Chavez and Mao are their holy people and they have been waiting for their messiah to lead them to the promised utopia. They deeply feel that it was BO. Heck, they still think it is BO and will stand behind him to the bitter end. Sure they are a little upset right now but that will pass and BO will become brighter and stronger as far as they are concerned. The really sad part is that every day more and more people join the cause.

Dr. Frank Enstine on December 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I guess all those manufactured halos were just that, manufactured.

Cindy Munford on December 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

We knew that your side thought he was the Messiah. We thought it amusing at first, then stupid and finally annoying. Then we were amazed that so many voters could be hoodwinked by such a flimsy used car salesman.

Proof positive that Americans are stupid people. Never again will I defend them. If I’m traveling abroad and hear a German or Russian or Arab trashing Americans, I’ll nod my head in agreement and say, “You’re right!”

MisterElephant on December 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Sounds like Babs still has high hopes.

I’m starting to see a Dem meme on TV that assets that “Obama still has three years left to turn things around.”

Classic affirmative-action failure back and filling.

BuckeyeSam on December 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Apparently, “We” is the ‘royal plural’ for the leftwing mainstream media.

M240H on December 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

..she has a turd in her pocket.

The War Planner on December 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM

This disgusting old hag belongs in a rubber cage.

Pork-Chop on December 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM

What a moron you are, Baba Wawa! It is incomprehensible to me that anyone would have believed the unbelievable hyperbole that came our of Dear Leader’s mouth.

What was it?

“This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal.”

Give me a friggin’ break!

NavyMustang on December 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

“We thought he was going to be … the next Messiah”

Instead he turned out to be a Mess instead. Maybe he is actually the 12th Imam.

I’ll never understand how leftards thought electing a descendant of the Black Muslim slavers who sold all of Americas blacks into slavery would erase slave guilt.

BL@KBIRD on December 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

HiJack on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Don’t forget Santa Claus…..

Electrongod on December 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Hey trolls, try to defend this.

22044 on December 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Answer: RACISM!!!

/eleventy!!111!1!!11!!!!!!1111!!!!!!

Paul-Cincy on December 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Matthew 24:4-5, 11, 36

Joe Mama on December 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

TXUS on December 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

True, part of our failures as a society these past few years has been not quashing those Republican obstructionists, Tea Baggers, and Christ-clingers. We truly were unworthy when the greatness of Obama could have saved us. We are no better than those calling for the freeing of Barabbas.

Happy Nomad on December 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM

JAM on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Affluenza?

Harbingeing on December 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Barbara Walters told Piers Morgan last night that everyone thought Obama was the Messiah,….

‘He came amongst us, and was found wanting.’

From the Progressive Bible. The Book of the Revelations of Barbara.

DaveDief on December 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Heck, it took UCLA 73 years to finally get the truth about FDR.

22044 on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

..as a Bruin (c. 1968), I’d sure like to see an explanation of that statement. I mean, I know they’re a wretched liberal hive of scum and villainy but your assertion intrigues me.

The War Planner on December 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Don’t forget Santa Claus…..

Electrongod on December 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Haven’t you heard? Santa’s white, and people are being fired for saying so.

HiJack on December 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

With all due respect, what kind of spiritual life does a person have who believes Obama is some kind of messiah?

Paul-Cincy on December 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

22044 on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

The War Planner on December 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

..never mind. I got it! Thank God for Google.

The War Planner on December 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Isn’t she Jewish? She certainly never lived like ordinary Americans what with her childhood lamentation about the family losing the Park Ave. Penthouse and her father moving to the Miami house.

Happy Nomad on December 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

We Babs? Do you have mouse in your pocket? A lot of us thought you and the rest of the Obamabots with your constant genuflection to your 2 bit messiah (lower case m), was just plain creepy.

norm1111 on December 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

So Barbara is arguing that some duck hunters are more interesting than Obama, and that’s why she’s interviewing them instead of Obama (the duck guys might be, I’ve never seen their show).

I don’t think she’s being honest. She loves Obama so much that she only wants to do a soft-ball interview with him, but with his policies and lies crashing down around him, she would have to ask a tough question or two in order to maintain at least the appearance of journalistic integrity.

So off to the marshes she goes.

Johnny 100 Pesos on December 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Heck, it took UCLA 73 years to finally get the truth about FDR.

22044 on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

The War Planner on December 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

All you have to do is Google UCLA and FDR, and you will find that FDR’s New Deal policies prolonged the Great Depression.

HiJack on December 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If this isn’t the ultimate proof that liberalism is a mental disorder, I don’t know what is.

txdoc on December 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Appropriate musical interlude

Shy Guy on December 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

“We thought he was going to be … the next Messiah”

…’thought’?…nothing!…you are still carrying his cross!

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

So what qualities does he have that made the LSM think he was the next “messiah”? I tell you what.

To paraphrase the VP he is “a clean articulate black man”. In a MAD DASH to show they are not racist they have proven that in fact they are! That is right Barbara you are a racist! If BO was not black Hillary would have cleaned his clock. As I am not a racist I am free to say this guy is an absolute joke.

jdsbengaltiger on December 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

We thought that he was going to be… the next messiah.

It’s precious how she uses the past-tense here. Like she’s trying to say the media doesn’t believe that anymore.

Well, of course, she also uses the word “thought.”

questionmark on December 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

txdoc on December 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Oh, that’s been a given for a long, long time. Babs is simply an ongoing example of liberal mental incompetency.

HiJack on December 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM