Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on December 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

Long-time Clinton hand John Podesta is in trouble with Republicans just days after joining the Obama White House, after he described the House GOP as a “cult worthy of Jonestown.”

But the comment — considering the severity of the comparison — got Podesta off on the wrong foot with Republican leaders.

“It’s disgraceful and telling that President Obama’s new Counselor is not only comparing the Republican Party to a cult that murdered those who disagreed with them, but is also using that comparison as an argument in support of shredding the Constitution and governing like a third-world dictator,” Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., chairman of the Republican Study Committee, said in a statement.

Scalise called on President Obama to fire Podesta over the remark.

***

Politico reported that Podesta justified relentless (illegal) executive action by noting he was fighting a cult. And apparently there’s a clause in the Constitution that gives the executive plenary power to fight cults

Podesta has now apologized for the quote. Sort of. He apologized to John Boehner, and no one else.

“‘In an old interview, my snark got in front of my judgment. I apologize to Speaker Boehner, whom I have always respected,’ Podesta posted on his Twitter account.”

Of course you do darling. The writer of the piece, Glenn Thrush, seemed to have Podesta’s back when he clarified the statement was made before Podesta became chief of staff, earlier, a way way way long time ago, in the Fall. (PS, it’s still fall.)

***

Every Republican in Washington, DC, should read this article on Podesta’s power grab, and those Republicans contemplating working with Democrats on immigration reform should read it twice.

Whatever legislation you write with Democrats, and Obama signs into “law,” will not be worth the paper it is printed on. Obama’s new counselor believes Republicans are evil and therefore Obama ought to be empowered to do whatever he wants no matter what the law says.

That is the new normal in Washington as long as Obama is still president.

***

There’s not much surprising about the quote. Now that the moderate wing of the Democratic Party has all but disappeared, unhinged rhetoric and uncontrolled temper tantrums characterize much of the left’s discourse. And the modern Democratic Party has an unhealthy fascination with murder fantasy, from their political ads depicting legislators throwing people off a cliff to their columnists’ attachment to effigy executions…

The confirmation that Obama wants a divisive partisan steering his second-term agenda isn’t exactly breaking news, and neither is the fact that he wants to ignore Congress and continue amassing power in the executive branch. But it’s significant precisely because it isn’t surprising. None of this would constitute a change of course for Obama, but a change of course can often be a productive way for a president to salvage a second term from the challenge of lame-duck status and diminishing political capital…

Clinton was more open to compromise with Republicans after his reelection because he didn’t “need Republicans as a foil anymore.” But for Obama, the campaign never ends, so the need for a foil is always there. Because the campaign never ends, serious governing–as opposed to executive power grabs and bureaucratic rulemaking–never begins. The perfect candidate for this job, the president believes, is John Podesta. And Podesta seems to agree.

***

It’s an interesting metaphor, increasingly common — how often have you heard references to “drinking the Kool-Aid”? — but it’s worth recalling Jim Jones was, before his horrific, sadistic end, an increasingly influential figure in California politics, particularly Democratic Party politics…

In 1977, facing increasing media scrutiny of allegations of abuse of his followers, Jones moved to Guyana, and renamed it after himself. The rest is gruesome, horrific history, culminating in the November 1978 cyanide poisoning of 909 members of the cult, including more than 300 children.

The comparison of today’s GOP to the Jim Jones’ followers is deeply offensive and obnoxious, but also ironic, considering how some of the Democrats still on the scene today were all too eager to embrace Jones when he could provide political assistance.

***

The profile goes on detail how Podesta is going to be focused less on policy but on reenergizing “a depleted, exhausted” White House staff—and with them, Obama supporters in key positions who recently, and in an especially unseemly fashion, have been flirting publicly with the notion that President Obama is a spent political force.

With this profile, POLITICO clarifies for a nervous political media establishment that the president is not ramping down, he’s amped up. His administration is not down for the count just yet. There is plenty of fight left in this old dog. Nothing tickles political reporters like a comeback – particularly that of a Democratic president ready to battle the unreasonable, recalcitrant Republicans in Congress.

For the press, the message has been received. The fight is back in this administration. Now, the White House waits to see if the media will follow suit.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If the Robertson FAMILY decides to stop participating, they can shut the whole thing down by giving the right interviews on the right shows.

And there is squat the “suits” could do about it.

I can’t think of any other show where this would be possible … but THEY are the brand and their demographic is, for my money, PERSONALLY loyal to the family.

Which is why this is such a massively STUPID way to have handled the situation.

Have you ever watched the series?

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Yeah…It’s really stupid…But Moonbats being what they are…

Pope Francis has the same views about Sin as Phil Robertson…

“On Tuesday, The Advocate, the oldest LGBT publication in the United States, took pope-mania to the next level, naming Pope Francis their “Person of the Year.”

Pope Francis said this 3 years ago…

“The war of words continued on Tuesday as church leaders staged large protests around the country against the proposed law. On Sunday, Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, the archbishop of Buenos Aires, had declared it a “destructive attack on God’s plan.”

workingclass artist on December 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM

MG is beautiful when she types fast. The words fly across the screen and Axe makes funny faces when he reads them.

SparkPlug on December 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Yes. My point is that the corporation owns the name, the brand, the footage, the series, the format. Neither the family nor any other entity could lawfully take that show anywhere.

The family might well try to ruin the brand, but in so doing they’d have to destroy their own business. I don’t see them doing that. Why should they?

Most likely the production would wrap and the show would go into reruns, for which the family members would receive royalties every time an episode runs anywhere. Merchandise would continue to be sold, which will generate a certain percentage of profit for the family members. Every time the brand is mentioned “Duck Dynasty” the family will realize a profit.

Even if production wraps on this series, the profits it generates will continue for all parties to the contract for a long time to come.

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM

MG is right. She is talking about Köhler and Gestalt perception.

SparkPlug on December 19, 2013 at 1:33 AM

She is one of the “rightest” people on here.

I got a little peturbed with someone suggesting otherwise not too long ago.

I would be fascinated to see her play “Trivial Pursuit”.

Throw in Schad, Axe, Sparkplug, B9, Scrumpy, Bmore, ALT, gg, Bishop, KCB … and another dozen or so we could all name, form teams and see how many days it takes for one team to draw a complete blank.

;)

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM

They may well decide that they can maintain the show without Phil, but since he’s the patriarch of the family, and the show has been thoroughly centered around the notion of this close family, it’s going to be difficult to separate him out of the mix.

Hard to say… but there are several creative means to salvage the show. We’ll have to see what’s most palatable to the suits and shareholders…and the family.

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:36 AM

It would surprise me if they continued. It’s just not — it’s not the way we do things. But when you listen to them talk away from the show, they see it as a vehicle to get out a message, and the only way I can see them — guess them — going forward is if they think continuing to get the message out is a priority. Though that would surprise most fans of the show, to find out these people are trying to say something to the country. It would surprise libfreeordie’s friend, for example — who was apparently a fan of the show and apparently was surprised to find out X had no arguments with his Bible. So I learned in the other thread.

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Sweep the knee – it only takes 25 pounds of force to dislocate a knee and a grandmother can generate that much force with her leg. Dislocate a major joint – ANYONE is going to be laying on the ground screaming in pain.

There’s variable ways to get at that particular joint, as well……

williamg on December 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM

;)

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM

+SOPHIE

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 1:46 AM

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM

In Britain ‘Quiz Night’ at the local pub is a big deal. They have teams who compete regularly.

I think the HA Regulars would be a riot. lol! :)

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Plus she remembers everything. Everything. I wrote a Poe line and she cited the source in 2 seconds. Plus she knows guy stuff and has a nice rack. And she knows writing, stories, tree decorating and tango.

SparkPlug on December 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM

The man’s been running Think Progress for George Soros for years. The only step up from that would be running Hell for Satan.

Pure evil. If you ever doubted Obama’s heart and intentions, you now should know there is no good left in them.

Adjoran on December 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Very correct… I saw him once on TV, maybe it was Bill Maher’s show… but I thought at the time that he’d look right at home dressed in a snappy uniform bedecked with eagles and lightning bolts…

PointnClick on December 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM

SparkPlug on December 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Also, she remembers everything and she has a nice rack.

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 1:50 AM

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Agree..I hope it works out well for the Robertson family..:)

PS..You made some very good points in your post..Well done..:)

Dire Straits on December 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Dave needs to work out more. He’s getting moobs.

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Why should they?

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I agree with every single aspect of what you’ve listed but the answer to “Why should they?” is tied to my belief THEIR audience would abandon the reruns, the mechandise, etc IF the FAMILY asked them to do so.

Why should they?

Because they are also generating profits for corporations who have IRREVOCABLY demonstrated they will defend sin over godliness at least as far as Phil has expressed his belief system.

For the people I know who share that value set, continuing to enable the SIN is the same as committing the sin yourself.

This could demonstrate a schism in our society most people blithely ignore.

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I think you’re right about the family and any motivation they may have or have had to continue the series.

I think they’ll likely ask themselves if they feel they’ve done all they could, if it’s worth it to them to continue, since it has and would continue to disrupt their lives, and, as I pointed out, this family already had a very successful family enterprise before this series was every created, and they’ll still have it and continuing revenues from the series even if the series is no longer produced.

Really, what’s left that they hope to achieve with the series is the question they’ll most likely be debating.

The industry is the entity that stands to lose here.

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:53 AM

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 1:52 AM

But one could just as readily say that those brand items and the reruns would stand to remind people specifically of the values of the family, too.

I’ll put this personally. If I were a member of this family, and I’d gone to the enormous trouble, disruption, and inconvenience, sacrificed that much of my personal privacy, to get my message, my views, out to the general public, I’d want those reruns and the brand merchandise to remain out there as long as possible.

Perhaps they’ll see it that way, perhaps they won’t, but it would be the best way for them to continue to see that their message gets to people and to make their efforts pay off the most.

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Agree..If they cut Phil out..The odds are that the show goes away..:(

Dire Straits on December 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM

+SOPHIE

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Bien sur!

But one does not press the sore point of a friend …

… and if I told you the reason I haven’t heard anything in 35.5 years, you wouldn’t believe the basis of the falling out.

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 1:50 AM

LOL! You guys. :)

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Agree..If they cut Phil out..The odds are that the show goes away..:(

Dire Straits on December 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM

…..I’m not near 100% on that – I don’t believe that their purpose, or Phil’s – is what the purpose of “normal people” might be…..

…..they might have a whole new reading of how to go about that….

…..It’s not like he’s Jerry Garcia…..wellllll….visually in some ways….

williamg on December 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Still Got The Blues – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

Nova, I hope you’re well. Check in when you can. :)

Goodnight, Paladin. :)

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM

But Dave is not here..:):)

Dire Straits on December 19, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Night Jackie.

Murphy9 on December 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I don’t know for what there you people think you are doing this, but all the off-topic chit chat is offending my relevant offendables, whatever there this is for. I have many relevant offendables, and now they’re sore.

– I am therefore sorely offended.

I’m to Scotland with 10,000 Englishmen to deal with the bloody-handed Macbeth, and then to a well deserved sleep, and then, God willing, to a well-deserved getting up to a day of doing little or nothing.

– damn this refresh button. My infantry awaits, but now I must know:

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I’m prepared to believe pretty much anything. Of late. :)

Spill it before I tread underfoot that murderous tyrant that’s brought nights of thick smokes wherein the shrieks of men are so common they go unremarked?

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Which leads back to my central point … but I may not be expressing it clearly.

The Robertson family is now a BRAND. I think you would agree with that assessment.

They can get their message out in a dozen different ways with a dozen completely different shows that Disney could do nothing to stop.

They may not own “Duck Dynasty” but everyone knows Duck Commander NOW – so they have options others would never have.

You mention earlier you would love to sit in the negotiations to “sell the brand/show/etc”.

I’d bet you would LOVE even more to be in on the launch of a NEW show with the Robertson family.

If my understanding is correct, head writers of major shows make out pretty well AND you’d have the satisfaction of shaping a message I think you would enjoy communicating.

You know the town better than I ever will … isn’t it likely their are at least three major networks/studios trying to talk the Robertsons into walking away from “Duck Dynasty”.

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Sounds like steam escaping! lol

Murphy9 on December 19, 2013 at 2:10 AM

I think the HA Regulars would be a riot. lol! :)

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM

My GOD!

I’m in … but how about the grad students pub at Glasgow University?

We’ll get a special permit for “extended hours”.

Good night, my good lady!

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Let me research “How to do a private tweet”

Tis not a tale to be shared in a public space …

… though my error was committed in a public house.

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 2:18 AM

But Dave is not here..:):)

Dire Straits on December 19, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Better be doing some pushups at the gym. :)

Instead of the rum-curls.

one *sip* two *sip*

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Let me research “How to do a private tweet”

Tis not a tale to be shared in a public space …

… though my error was committed in a public house.

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Ha! :)

K.

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sophie Ro}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Have a great night, guys. :)

Axe on December 19, 2013 at 2:20 AM

williamg on December 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM

lolz..:)

Dire Straits on December 19, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Let us draw the curtain on this night, my friends.

Good night all.

P.S. williamg – my Youtube went wonky on me, I haven’t been able to watch the second video yet.

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Could China Make Claims on Lunar Territory and Triggar a New Space Race?

On Saturday, a Chinese lunar probe made the first soft landing anyone’s made on the moon since 1976.. October Sky author Homer Hickam wondered on Twitter if China might want to make a territorial claim on the moon, noting that the area the lander is exploring may contain an abundance of Helium-3, a potentially valuable fusion energy fuel that is found only on the moon. According to former astronaut / geologist Harrison Schmitt, China “has made no secret” of its interest in Helium-3. Schmitt observes, “I would assume that this mission is both a geopolitical statement and a test of some hardware and software related to mining and processing of the lunar regolith.” But will China try to claim the ground it explores? Possibly.

anotherJoe on December 19, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Now, the White House waits to see if the media will follow suit.

are you kidding…they never left him…

they’ve been itching to report anything that doesn’t talk about obamacare….

That is the new normal in Washington as long as Obama is still president.

***

dems will always think that as long as ANYONE with a D next to their name is president

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 5:18 AM

healthcare for the country is an impossible feat but they (administration) is doing it and doing it well
-mika

seriously???

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 6:19 AM

morning joe crew spends more time talking about pajama boy than phil robertson…wow

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Don’t you love how since “Pajama Boy” in his onesie is such a huge disaster for Obama, that the Morning Joe crew and Politico is suddenly in on the joke?

MSNBC, Schmoe, Politico: you bought this crap from 2007 hook, line, and sinker.

Marcus on December 19, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Schmoe is so boring with his sermonizing. Every time I’ve tuned in this morning he’s like giving a homily. I don’t know how even the people on the set can stand it.

Morning cmsinaz. I’m off to make breakfast with Elizabeth and the Fox crew.

Marcus on December 19, 2013 at 6:37 AM

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 2:10 AM

I’m sure they would be welcome at The Blaze.

And they could always go private and use an existing streaming set-up, like Amazon or open a Roku channel and form their own production company with help from their supporters. If you like the program would you kick in $25/year to see it and only it? That is the cost of a couple of pizzas, and I bet there are fans of the program that would put more into the production than just that. An appeal to the fan base to go into private production with their support is now something that can be done and on the relative cheap, what with the cost of digital video equipment and editing software dropping into the realm of mere everyday users.

So if the family put out a Kickstarter appeal for $100k to get a new, private show off the ground and set it at a month to reach that amount, how quickly could they do it? If they sought help from their fans to get decent advice for forming up a production company, or sought help from some of the smaller start-ups already doing this, would they not get it, as well?

Cable TV is about to come into the 21st century where the idea of fans purchasing access to PROGRAMS they like and that money going to production companies with NO intermediaries is going to be the end of 5000 channels and nothing to watch.

And do remember The Blaze has more subscribers than Oprah’s network has viewers and debuted with more viewers than MSNBC got in Prime Time. The world of TV is about to change forever, and that will be the end of the MFM and most likely the cable TV companies as well.

ajacksonian on December 19, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Marcus on December 19, 2013 at 6:37 AM

morning Marcus :)

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! And, Trolls.
“Free Speech for me,,,but none for thee” – Liberals
My take: Duck Dynasty, A & E, and Liberal Hypocrisy

kingsjester on December 19, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Excellent take KJ

Read it folks

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

kingsjester on December 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Just heard that Phil Robertson already has something like 48,000 likes on the “Bring Phil Back” Facebook page. I’m guessing that A&E (a blatantly pro-sodomy organization) is not so happy about their decision to regulate morality as liberals see it.

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM

PolAgnostic on December 19, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Discovery Channel is a logical bet.

Palin could also try to recruit them for the Sportsman Channel. Watch as those 14 million average viewers and Palin’s social media smarts turn that channel into a player.

ajacksonian on December 19, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Yup. Not only is there The Blaze, but there’s also Netflix for video-on-delivery, which they have done for a number of first-run series. (The revived Arrested Development, for one, is a Netflix-only show.) A joint venture between Glenn Beck, Netflix and the Robertson’s would be extraordinary.

thatsafactjack on December 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Ask David Letterman and Conan O’Brian when they left NBC. There’s always a workaround to be found with intellectual property without destroying the only brand that matters, which is the Robertson family themselves.

Myron Falwell on December 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Marcus on December 19, 2013 at 6:35 AM

How are they in on the joke? Are Joe and Mika wearing onesies on set this morning?

Best snark I’ve heard. Pajama boy is even more creepy when you realize that he’s actually looking over at his bound and gagged parents.

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Yepper HN

Idiots

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM

BTW, I wonder if A&E is going to end up getting the same kind of grassroots treatment that those who attacked Chick-Fil-E got.

People against sodomy have every right to voice their opinions just like the homosexuals that would lecture you that such lifestyle choices are normal and should be embraced by society.

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM

HN…AE may have woke a sleeping giant once again

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM

HN…AE may have woke a sleeping giant once again

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM

They’re messing with their number one “reality” show. Not only could they have roused a sleeping giant, they may well have killed their golden goose duck.

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Happy Nomad on December 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Not to the controlling homosexuals, who abide no criticism, nor scientific/clinical commentary about their behaviors even, and their enablers, they don’t! :)

lol the backlash against these intolerant goons over this is going to fun to watch!

Anti-Control on December 19, 2013 at 7:58 AM

*going to be fun to watch

Anti-Control on December 19, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Indeed HN

cmsinaz on December 19, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Chicago radio legend Larry Lujack dead at 73.

RIP. He was one of a kind.

Fallon on December 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM

(Podesta’s) been running Think Progress for George Soros for years. The only step up from that would be running Hell for Satan.

Adjoran on December 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Yup. Pure evil.

Fallon on December 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM

KJ,well done, as always. I particularly liked your bolded writing at the end!

Fallon, many a morning spent listening to Uncle Lare and Little Snot-nose Tommy. He always seemed old to me (as a teenager), his voice was definitely a cigarette and whiskey voice, I was startled to hear that he was only in his early 70s. My favorite spot of his was when he used to mock Jerry Taft and the “spaghetti incident” with his first wife.

RIP, Uncle Lare

herm2416 on December 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

herm2416 on December 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Working outside in landscaping during my college days, we would take our breaks at the same time Animal Stories (Uncle Lare and Little Snot-nose Tommy) would come on so we could all gather around the radio and listen. There was many a day that I had tears running down my face from laughing so hard at their show. Looking back, those were beautiful, innocent days. As I said, he was one of a kind.

Fallon on December 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Is there more of a Jonestownesque cult in America today then that of Obama?

Did not Bawbwa Wahwahs talk about him using the word “messiah?”

Is Podesta trying desperately to get out ahead of observations of the Obama personality cult? Or is he a completely clueless ignoramus?

Our government has become a toxic cesspool of corruption.

dogsoldier on December 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM