Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson suspended by A&E for comments on homosexuality

posted at 9:31 pm on December 18, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Phil Robertson is the patriarch of the very popular Robertson family of the very popular A&E show, “Duck Dynasty.” The Robertsons, who run a multi-million dollar duck call and hunting gear company, are beloved for their good-natured family drama, creative country fun, and down home senses of humor. They’re also vocally devout Christians, and Phil credits Jesus with keeping him sane and his family together when he was headed down a very different path.

In an interview with GQ, Robertson talked in part about homosexuality, paraphrasing a Biblical passage:

“We’re Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television,” he tells me. “You put in your article that the Robertson family really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and let’s get on with it, and everything will turn around.”

What does repentance entail? Well, in Robertson’s worldview, America was a country founded upon Christian values (Thou shalt not kill, etc.), and he believes that the gradual removal of Christian symbolism from public spaces has diluted those founding principles. (He and Si take turns going on about why the Ten Commandments ought to be displayed outside courthouses.) He sees the popularity of Duck Dynasty as a small corrective to all that we have lost.

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.”

What, in your mind, is sinful?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

He also said this, which is the part of his views on sexuality getting all the headlines:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina – as a man – would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me.”

It’s certainly a colorful expression of his personal preference, and expresses mild confusion for others’ tastes, but it’s not a terribly mean-spirited comment.

Now, he’s been suspended by A&E indefinitely because they object that the devout Christian and social conservative cash cow who averages 14 million viewers per episode might express views on homosexuality that differ from, say, those Pajama Boy might express in his Oberlin Race & Gender in the Media symposium. (For perspective, A&E’s “Breaking Bad” series finale— the most talked about finale in the history of all TV ever—attracted 10 million viewers.)

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty,” A&E said in a statement, which was reported byThe Hollywood Reporter. “His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.”

Because GLAAD is mad, and though there’s no evidence that Phil Robertson has ever discriminated against gay men and women or treated them badly, he must be punished for his views.

GLAAD:

“Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil’s lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe. He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans — and Americans — who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil’s decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to re-examine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families.”

This statement doesn’t really seem to match Robertson’s actual comments, but I’m guessing they’re just in cut and paste mode at this point. Robertson offered this statement and will appear on Megyn Kelly’s show tonight:

“I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

To the Left, it doesn’t matter how Robertson actually treats real people. The thought that homosexual acts are wrong is enough to make him a bad person who should be fired. He’s literally guilty of a thought crime against humanity even if he is literally tolerant of gay people every day of his life. There is no room for tolerance of him.

I don’t agree with Robertson’s remarks, but this is clearly an overreaction. Even those who are more critical of Robertson than I think this was a bad move by A&E. Maybe if he had talked about someone defecating in a specific gay political figure’s mouth, he could have gotten a few more weeks on the air. (For the record, I wasn’t a huge fan of Martin Bashir or that Martin Bashir got fired for saying something dumb, as I think we should allow room for people on both sides to say things that offend people without getting fired.) I’m sure it’s a misreading of A&E’s audience, who will not take kindly to this decision, and probably the Robertson family, who will have countless offers to do their show elsewhere and, oh yeah, also have a multi-million dollar company to keep them occupied.

Twitchy’s keeping track of the backlash.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8 9

I’m just happy to see libfreeordie grant a corporation personhood.

At least DFCtomm can recognize facetiousness when he/she reads it….

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Here’s a simple question for you. Which of the founding fathers did not subscribe to the communitarian ethos Calhoun deploys to rationalize slavery? *sets sundial*
libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

None. They weren’t nascent Commies like John C. Calhoun, and full blown Commies like you. Don’t you think you need to provide some proof for such a ridiculous smear there Mr. Calhoun? You’re a history perfesser, right?

NotCoach on August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh dear God….hold on, give me 10 minutes.

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

While libfree is showing his work…

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

You know, as much as I viewed Honey Boo Boo and that whole travesty of a reality TV show … at least Honey Boo Boo expressed kindess to me and others in the LGBT community. I definitely can’t say the same for Phil Robertson.

ZachV on December 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM

What did Phil say that was “unkind” – expressing a lack of understanding about the appeal of gay male sex now equals hatred? lol

Anti-Control on December 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

In other news, people are reading things that were printed in GQ.

The Schaef on December 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

In case you get too confused trying to scroll down:

Show your work that most murderers identify as Christians. LOL. Hoisted by your own petard.

tommyboy on December 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM

And scene.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Shouldn’t the word “Christian” actually be used somewhere in the paper you cited?

(Hint ctl+f and then type christian)

And scene scene.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

libfreeordie, are you okay with a network suspending someone for expressing a pro-gay religious position?

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Am I “OK with it?” What does that even mean. Do I recognize that employers exercise the right to fire people for their political beliefs, of course? Whether I would fire someone for their beliefs is a case by case basis. Neither Bashir nor Robertson’s firings are particularly high on my list of things I care about. Is that what you mean by “OK with?”

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

And scene dodge.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Speaking of historical illiterates:

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

NotCoach on August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh dear God….hold on, give me 10 minutes.

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Tick tock.

NotCoach on September 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

ebrown2 on December 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

It’s a well known commodity that within the AA community, light skins are viewed as better than dark skins.

But you don’t seem to realize that in repeating this fact, you are repeating the analysis of critical race theorists who argue that the reason “light skinned” people and features are *generally* valued in black communities is because of the pervasive nature of white supremacy in the West. That it extends beyond just the law, but into popular culture and the construction of self identity. If that’s what you are going to argue in order to critique my Beyonce fandom, then fine I guess. You’re only proving the point I make on this blog ad nauseum.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I’m just happy to see libfreeordie grant a corporation personhood.

At least DFCtomm can recognize facetiousness when he/she reads it….

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Calm down, Pajama Boy. You don’t want to get that onesie all sweaty, Mom just washed it.

M240H on December 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Phil Robertson listed a bunch of behaviors in his diatribe. When the heck did this become a country where you couldn’t decide you didn’t like someone else’s behavior.

melle1228 on December 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Phil, in reality was doing the politically correct victim thing in speaking of his offense at what he sees as evil aimed at all good people.

This is exactly what the immoral left does every day when they are the offended victims of all that which is good.

Don L on December 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Lib, should Bashir have been fired for saying that Sarah palin should be defecated on and is that equal to what Robertson said in a magazine article.

Danielvito

BTW, he wasn’t fired. He resigned….3 weeks after calling for someone to assault Palin. Roberts didn’t advocate assaulting anyone. He didn’t express hate for anyone. He merely described what gay folks do, yet, for some reason, gays are all upset about it, lol. It’s almost like they are ashamed of it. But apparently we’re supposed to accept and advocate what they do despite them not accepting it themselves, lol.

Too too funny.

xblade on December 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM

At least DFCtomm can recognize facetiousness when he/she reads it….

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Oh, so he wan’t criticizing his employer.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM

You’re only proving the point I make on this blog ad nauseum.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

No, I’m pointing out that you exclaim about racism and then practice it yourself. Though it’s a fallacy to say light skins are more valued because of white supremacy in the West. They were more valued in Asian cultures as well.

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM

While libfree is showing his work…

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Great minds think alike.

ebrown2 on December 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

While libfree is showing his work…

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

She appears to be showing it just as fast as she can make it up.

tommyboy on December 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Definitely showing his work today.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

A&E will regret this. They chose badly.

neyney on December 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I’m going to go buy some dd stuff today.
I don’t want any, especially not a chia pet but…………..wth. I have left wing family members that would love a chia, Im sure.

ORconservative on December 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

A&E will back off the suspension in a few weeks and then revel in al the extra viewers the controversy has generated.

tommyboy on December 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

You’re only proving the point I make on this blog ad nauseum.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Yep, it’s sheer, willfully ignorant parochialism on the part of the Resentment Studies mongers. You could see it with the nasty idiocy surrounding Palin’s use of the term “slavery” in regard to debt, as mentioned above, an analogy with far more historical justification than most of the tripe slavenowandie vends.

ebrown2 on December 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I don’t have to prove that most Christians identify as murderers. Most Americans identify as murderers. But you do have to prove that more white Republicans than black people were lynched for racial reasons in the Jim Crow south.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Here’s to the double standard!

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

More Christians are murdered in Blue State America every year.

tommyboy on December 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Also? Most murderers identify as Christians. Again, words mean things.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

tommyboy on December 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM

And scene.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I don’t have to prove that most Christians identify as murderers.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

And scene.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Imagine that for a bit. Imagine being consumed by your academic fetish but being constantly shown as wrong on almost every topic you introduce here outside of a laughably self-limited sort of “the influence of women professors in gay black history and how it influences future gay history of blacks and women” sphere of knowledge.

Now imagine knowing that the non-bubble folks you choose to congregate with care very little about your womens-/LBGT-/black-studies knowledge. And, worse, often laugh openly about its perceived value after you prove you haven’t bothered to learn much else.

Sadder still is knowing that he comes here and gets knocked around academically by people who probably only graduated high school but who have genuine intellectual curiousity and have educated themselves on different topics, and this forces him to return to the comfort of that little womens-/LBGT-/black-studies bubble where he knows what he’s expected to say to be told he’s smart again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

rogerb on February 5, 2013 at 7:03 AM

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I don’t have to prove that most Christians identify as murderers.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

And scene.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Hey man, libfreeordie claims to be a professor. So he’s not accustomed to proving outlandish claims he makes.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Fascinating. In order to attack me you are legitimizing a whole field of Critical Race Theory which, in any other thread, you would dismiss as utter bunk. Are you suggesting you believe that this society valorizes individuals who are closer to a “white ideal” than those who are not? Why else would you believe my love for Beyonce is strictly linked to her skin tone? libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

What’s fascinating is how fake fields of scholarly pursuit invent their own conventions and verbiage. You know, to appear real to dummies.

Akzed on December 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM

ORconservative on December 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Don’t buy DD stuff (Think A&E may get cut). Buy Duck Commander stuff.

derft on December 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Most Americans identify as murderers

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I think Beyonce’s light skin has scrambled your brains further.

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM

As usual rogerb, you massively over estimate my investment in these conversations. At the end of the day. I may good money doing what I love, and I come around here for stunts and shows. You can simply be mad about it.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Also? Most murderers identify as Christians. Again, words mean things.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I don’t have to prove that most Christians identify as murderers.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

And scene.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM

This is right up there with gerrymandering.

Congratulations, professor. Costco loves you.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Yes, we’re mad that you beclown yourself on a daily basis.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM

ebrown2 on December 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Speaking of which, I’ve been going around the block with some libtard on FB, and I never saw the Palin piece that launched Bashir’s sanity right off of the planet. Anyone got a link to that piece?

smellthecoffee on December 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Mad? At what? You represent (D)s/Obama voters for the readers.

(Much, much better than we could hope, frankly.)

You do realize that, right?

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM

And you also have no idea how much I use what I’ve learned about conservative ideology in class and writings and conversations with colleagues. Y’all are fodder for cocktail conversation. SentinelRules, you’re attempt to appropriate the Clark doll experiment is definitely getting used in a future piece.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Does East Georgia State College know about your Beyonce obsession?

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

blink on December 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

The gag is that you all took time to read it…..

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Yes, we’re mad that you beclown yourself on a daily basis.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Slavenowandie certainly illustrates the misology (hatred of reasoned argument) that characterizes the leftist academy these days.

ebrown2 on December 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

It should bother you that you are wrong about so many things (we prove that on here every day) that you teach to students.

Seriously, do you have any explanation for thinking that the paper you quoted proved your claim to the point of writing “And scene”?

Seriously, do you simply toss “any old thing” out as proof of something in your classes?

blink on December 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Why should he care. He can’t be fired.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I’m sure.

Please point them to this thread.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

The gag is that you all took time to read it…..

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Just being facetious again huh?

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I’m sure.
Please point them to this thread.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Its anonymous boo. I can cut up in here as much as I’d like.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Does East Georgia State College and your “intellectual” parties know about your Israel hatred and your hatred of Cubans?

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

You your conception of reality is based on what you learn in liberal fantasy land where everybody congratulates each other on how morally superior they are while getting drunk. That’s certainly no surprise.

tommyboy on December 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

How you doing? You feeling strong? We’re going to need you to give us everything you got if we’re going to push this post over 1k comments? You ready to get in there and fight!!!

DFCtomm on December 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

smellthecoffee on December 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM

It was a speech at the Faith and Freedom forum:

ebrown2 on December 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

blink on December 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

The gag is that you all took time to read it…..

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

So then all the posts on critical race theory…

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Incidentally, debt really is like slavery. That’s why Franklin said, “Never a borrower nor a lender be.”

More accurately, debt leads to slavery. It limits the things you can do, and the places you go. If you doubt me, take out a $100,000 loan to go to a non-Invy league law school, and see your horizons contract.

Debt limits you, just like Government Dependency. When the government is “helping” you, you owe them for that. No one who’s on welfare can easily criticize Obama or the Liberal State because deep down in his gut, he knows that it’s because of them that he got those food stamps.

So debts and dependency actually limit what you think. If you don’t like Obama, you can’t very well like youself either, if you’re on the dole.

They’re all links on a chain: debt–>dependency–>learned helplessness–>subjugation–>slavery.

So Palin was right. It’s because she was so right that they immediately tried to ridicule and diminish her, everything short of destroying her.

Herald of Woe on December 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM

So then all the posts on critical race theory…

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

…are feeble, intellectually vacant attempts at trolling.

ebrown2 on December 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

derft on December 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Good point, I forgot about that. Duck Commander it is. Actually we have Duck Commander stuff and have been to the store in LA. I guess the dd stuff will have to be for birthdays next year.
We used to be fans, not so much after AE took over but it still amuses me what venomous garbage the PC crew spews about this family/business. They’ve taken the redneck thing all the way to the bank and the left just continues to fan the flames of success for an entity they profess to hate.
There is, was and continues to be nothing offensive about these people, unless you are a mind numb leftist or a bigot……

ORconservative on December 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

DFCtomm on December 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Ha! Probably not. Now that it has descended into being about me rather than the topic. This thread though is pure schadenfreude. I do so love seeing social cons realize that the wheel has turned on these issues, and not in their favor.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM

So then all the posts on critical race theory…

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I don’t actually post about critical race theory as a field of study very often. Many of my posts are informed by that field. And apparently, so are many of sentinelrules posts. BTW sentinelrules, I know you’re one of those folks just itching to reveal my identity on here. Which is why you keep baiting me with the “East George State College” bit. Not gonna work though.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM

The good think about this is that Phil will emerge stronger and lib America will come out weaker. That’s the end game. DD is VERY popular among the young and early teen set and I know whose side they will come down on. Great they got a first hand look at the violent ungliness of the left at a young age when it will make a big impression.

tommyboy on December 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Really? Recently, India has banned homosexual behavior.

Slovakia and Australia have banned homosexual marriage.

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Come now.

You were stupidly arguing that reporting your racist behavior on this site using East George College computers was…….harassment.

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM

And the militant and anti-speech and anti-diversity gay mafia is really going to keep that momentum going.

And the assault on religious liberty like is currently going on in NJ.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Really? Recently, India has banned homosexual behavior.

India’s Supreme Court decriminalized gay sex after a lower court overturned the nation’s sodomy ban. That’s pretty much status quo.

Slovakia and Australia have banned homosexual marriage.

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM

The former is barely part of the Western World and the later is a colony of criminals and ethnic cleansers. Forgive me if I don’t look to them for signposts on sexual liberalism. In this country, the wheel has turned. You know it and I know it.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Wait you actually believe I teach there….Dear God. What poor East Georgia College professor have you been harassing?

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I can see that libfreeliveenslavedordie is one of the geniuses who thinks that Democrat/ChoomCare’s rollout is going swimmingly, and that “Pajama Boy” was a great idea!

ROFL

Anti-Control on December 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM

the wheel has turned. You know it and I know it.

Only in the faculty lounge and student union. The popularity of Dd shows where real America stands.

tommyboy on December 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM

What poor East Georgia College professor have you been harassing?

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Sigh.
Reporting your racist behavior is NOT harassment.

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I concede defeat. I don’t hold much hope of turning things around. The problem is that, while your side is good at narratives, which are great for shifting the flow of the culture, you aren’t so great at governing. I don’t think you can hold the country together. You don’t balance the books. You passionately hate capitalism, and lets be honest that’s the only economic engine that could possibly power socialism. Your side literally cannot get the trains to run on time. How do you think you’ll be able to run the country? Crying racism won’t put fuel in the tanks of tractor trailers.

DFCtomm on December 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM

This is a classic. One fit for the archives.

libfreeordie peddling in crass stereotypes that if they were made about an “approved” group would be running around with his dress over his head screaming.

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM

India’s Supreme Court Re-Criminalizes Gay Sex

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM/

Your geography is out of whack. Slovakia is clearly in Europe and ethnic cleansing presently occurs among Arabs and black Africans.

And Roe v Wade made the wheel on abortion turn, but 40 years later, Wendy Davis is still complaining she can’t kill her baby.

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Your side literally cannot get the trains to run on time.

Have you been to Germany? Their trains run remarkably on time. I don’t want a Marxist revolution. Just some basic reforms. I don’t believe in this slippery slope crap. Its a scare tactic, that’s actually not really backed up by history. Outside of revolutionary wars our coups it takes a very long time for incremental reforms to lead to major substantive change. *Hint, this is why radicals engage in coups and revolutions* So all of the scaremongering that the nation will end if we, for example, get rid of the cap on social security/medicare tax don’t hold water.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I meant re-criminalized. So yes status quo.

Also sentinel rules: http://atlantablackstar.com/2012/05/26/violent-anti-african-race-riot-rocks-israel-black-men-and-women-beaten/

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Coming from somebody who said Trayvon Martin was gonna be the next Emmett Till, that’s a laugh.

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I’m sure.

Please point them to this thread.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Its anonymous boo. I can cut up in here as much as I’d like.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM

One can certainly see why you’d be reluctant for your peers to read these threads.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

You could see it with the nasty idiocy surrounding Palin’s use of the term “slavery” in regard to debt …ebrown2 on December 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

A slave has little or no right to the fruits of his own labor. Therefore, Palin’s was a most apt use of the word, since debt is indeed a form of slavery.

Bashir is an ignoramus who apparently thinks that the essence of slavery was vicious daily whippings.

Irish factory workers in NYC contemporaneous with Southern slavery were generally worse off than chattel slaves were on various counts. They had fewer firearms, fewer square feet of living space, poorer diets, worked more hours, and when injured, sick, or too old to work, they were just let go.

Liberals consider dissemination of these facts to be racist.

Akzed on December 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Got something not from May 2012? I do

Central African Republic: Sectarian Atrocities Escalate.
Hundreds Killed in Violence in North Targeting Muslims, Christians

sentinelrules on December 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

We have over 100 trillion in unallocated debt. We print 85, whoops as of yesterday it’s 75, billion dollars a month in brand spanking new money. The majority buyer of our Treasury bonds is our very own Federal reserve in a desperate attempt to hold down interest rates. You’re right countries don’t change over night, but we’ve been asleep at the wheel for decades now.

DFCtomm on December 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Have you been to Germany? Their trains run remarkably on time.

Don’t think I didn’t notice that you used Germany in a reference to trains running on time. I think that puts you dangerously close to a violation of Godwin’s law.

DFCtomm on December 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

And scene.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

(Hint ctl+f and then type christian)

And scene scene.

rogerb on December 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Aren’t we supposed to say it with the proper inflection, like “And ssthene! Mm hm!”?

Nutstuyu on December 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

NJ Stalls Same-Sex Marriage Bill to Kill Religious Protections

Many people ask, “How does gay marriage negatively impact me?” New Jersey lawmakers just proved it’s a lie to say all same-sex marriage advocates merely want a “live and let live” legal environment.

Legislators pulled their pending bill to legalize same-sex marriage in the Garden State in response to its supporters’ demand to strip the bill of language that would allow Christians and other people of faith to decline to recognize gay marriages on religious grounds.

New Jersey’s legislature is moving a bill to redefine marriage to include same-sex couples. Although likely to pass, Democratic Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg pulled the bill that she was supporting because of objections from gay-rights organizations such as Lamba Legal.

The reason? Weinberg explained, “They don’t want any kind of religious exemption, so out of respect for that, I will [pull the bill] (emphasis added).” The bill would have allowed houses of worship and people of faith, such as churches and observant Christians, to decline to participate in any way with gay marriage. In a state where they can have their way, some gay-rights supporters are demanding that the law allow for full and vigorous prosecution under anti-discrimination and public-accommodation laws of anyone who will not embrace and celebrate homosexual marriage.

Akzed on December 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Its anonymous boo. I can cut up in here as much as I’d like.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Not really. We can see you:

Nutstuyu on December 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Have you been to Germany? Their trains run remarkably on time.
libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

And that’s the German culture. Which is different than American culture which is much more broad and diverse.

The recent scandals here in America regarding a corrupt national bureaucracy would have caused a massive furor in Germany.

The Germans are also honest about the kind of relationship they want between citizen and state – their politicians acknowledge that an entitlement state means having a small military and massive taxation on the middle class and that citizens are to a certain extend permanent wards of the state. Lets see the liberals run on that.

It’s funny to see liberals constantly point to northern European social democracies as the way forward when they have much much smaller populations than we do, for the most part have a monolithic culture and massively tax the middle class (or depend on exploitation of natural resources like Norway or have gone bankrupt in the last 20 years like Sweden).

gwelf on December 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Their trains run remarkably on time.
libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

You actually said this? You’re a self-parody.

rrpjr on December 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Crucify the man with the beard !

kregg on December 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Your side literally cannot get the trains to run on time.

DFCtomm on December 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

“Trains on time” anywhere in Europe is meaningless. The common citizens of all European countries have never been ‘free’ like Americans have been, and have been willing to give up ‘personal, individual independence’ for ‘the collective.’ European commoners don’t have as good of a standard of living as we do, because they readily give up their individual wealth and freedom to the state, believing that the state will do a better job of providing for the “collective.” They have lived with this mentality for a long time, and are experts at it … until it collapses.
To hell with the “cap”. Get rid of Government run and managed social programs, altogether … period.

The U.S. will go through a very rough time (not to be confused with “ending”) in the near future, if we don’t remove from government the responsibility of ‘social services.’

listens2glenn on December 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Their trains run remarkably on time.
libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

They run remarkably? Or are remarkably on time?

Nutstuyu on December 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM

libfreeordie

A circle jerk of mental giants to be sure,lol.

xblade on December 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Wait…what?

irishgladiator63 on December 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM

ZachV on December 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM

My God this is probably the most pathetic comment in the two or so years I’ve commented here. Really? The opinions and musing of a toddler hold such a power over you? I mean, you are impressed with the opinions of a little girl on TV who doesn’t even have a context of what being gay involves sexually? but that is something that made your day? And the generic morality comment Phil Robertson made in a magazine has near destroyed you?

You may want to get some help.

smoothsailing on December 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Have you been to Germany? Their trains run remarkably on time.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Wasn’t Hitler responsible for that?

From 2011:

…this winter Berlin’s overground S-Bahn system performed so poorly that the operators felt duty bound to compensate passengers.

And from 2007:

The cliché that German trains always run on time is no longer true. Their reputation has been eroded, at least among German passengers, by a creeping increase in delays in recent years as national operator Deutsche Bahn sheds staff, rolling stock and equipment to shape up its accounts for privatization.

The deterioration is obvious to anyone who regularly travels on German trains, and one of the country’s main passenger lobbies, Pro Bahn, regularly complains about it.

German rail services remain good overall — the sleek red-and-white ICE high-speed inter-city trains are generally reliable, despite the delays — and standards have a long way to slip before they reach the British experience of the 1980s and 1990s, when train cancellations, collapsing seats, blocked lavatories, general filth and ludicrous excuses (like “the wrong kind of snow” or “leaves on the line”) were routine.

BTW you’ll find plenty of horror stories about German trains not running on-time just by checking the various travel boards.

Del Dolemonte on December 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Their trains run remarkably on time.

libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

They run remarkably? Or are remarkably on time?

Nutstuyu on December 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I know some railroad folks here in the States, and they all say the reliability of the German equipment itself is the primary factor in determining on-time performance…not the type of political Party running the country where the trains are located.

Del Dolemonte on December 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

BTW you’ll find plenty of horror stories about libfreeordie simply making up a point and throwing it out there as a fact (as if it were going to win him a debate) just by checking … really any thread he comments on.

smoothsailing on December 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Their trains run remarkably on time.
libfreeordie on December 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

here ya go Roger.

This one is SOLID GOLD BABY!!!!!!

ToddPA on December 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM

ZachV on December 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM

You may want to get some help.

smoothsailing on December 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM

It’s not the responsibility of any member of the Robertson family to “express kindness” on that A&E show.
Phil Robertson does proactively try to lead people to accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. Jesus is where you’re going to find more kindness, than from anyone or anywhere else, Zach’.

listens2glenn on December 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Libfweeee , you seem overwhelmed by the subject at hand but I have to admit you know a lot about Beyonce. You should teach a Beyonce class if you don’t already.

BoxHead1 on December 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM

smoothsailing on December 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Yep, Merkel has “taken the caps” off of the German social safety net in a country with a net aging population, auguring the country’s economic future over the cliff for the sake of another term in office.

ebrown2 on December 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Phil just should have said it was from the Koran and he would have been fine.

LaughterJones on December 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM