Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson suspended by A&E for comments on homosexuality

posted at 9:31 pm on December 18, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Phil Robertson is the patriarch of the very popular Robertson family of the very popular A&E show, “Duck Dynasty.” The Robertsons, who run a multi-million dollar duck call and hunting gear company, are beloved for their good-natured family drama, creative country fun, and down home senses of humor. They’re also vocally devout Christians, and Phil credits Jesus with keeping him sane and his family together when he was headed down a very different path.

In an interview with GQ, Robertson talked in part about homosexuality, paraphrasing a Biblical passage:

“We’re Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television,” he tells me. “You put in your article that the Robertson family really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and let’s get on with it, and everything will turn around.”

What does repentance entail? Well, in Robertson’s worldview, America was a country founded upon Christian values (Thou shalt not kill, etc.), and he believes that the gradual removal of Christian symbolism from public spaces has diluted those founding principles. (He and Si take turns going on about why the Ten Commandments ought to be displayed outside courthouses.) He sees the popularity of Duck Dynasty as a small corrective to all that we have lost.

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.”

What, in your mind, is sinful?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

He also said this, which is the part of his views on sexuality getting all the headlines:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina – as a man – would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me.”

It’s certainly a colorful expression of his personal preference, and expresses mild confusion for others’ tastes, but it’s not a terribly mean-spirited comment.

Now, he’s been suspended by A&E indefinitely because they object that the devout Christian and social conservative cash cow who averages 14 million viewers per episode might express views on homosexuality that differ from, say, those Pajama Boy might express in his Oberlin Race & Gender in the Media symposium. (For perspective, A&E’s “Breaking Bad” series finale— the most talked about finale in the history of all TV ever—attracted 10 million viewers.)

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty,” A&E said in a statement, which was reported byThe Hollywood Reporter. “His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.”

Because GLAAD is mad, and though there’s no evidence that Phil Robertson has ever discriminated against gay men and women or treated them badly, he must be punished for his views.

GLAAD:

“Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil’s lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe. He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans — and Americans — who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil’s decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to re-examine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families.”

This statement doesn’t really seem to match Robertson’s actual comments, but I’m guessing they’re just in cut and paste mode at this point. Robertson offered this statement and will appear on Megyn Kelly’s show tonight:

“I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

To the Left, it doesn’t matter how Robertson actually treats real people. The thought that homosexual acts are wrong is enough to make him a bad person who should be fired. He’s literally guilty of a thought crime against humanity even if he is literally tolerant of gay people every day of his life. There is no room for tolerance of him.

I don’t agree with Robertson’s remarks, but this is clearly an overreaction. Even those who are more critical of Robertson than I think this was a bad move by A&E. Maybe if he had talked about someone defecating in a specific gay political figure’s mouth, he could have gotten a few more weeks on the air. (For the record, I wasn’t a huge fan of Martin Bashir or that Martin Bashir got fired for saying something dumb, as I think we should allow room for people on both sides to say things that offend people without getting fired.) I’m sure it’s a misreading of A&E’s audience, who will not take kindly to this decision, and probably the Robertson family, who will have countless offers to do their show elsewhere and, oh yeah, also have a multi-million dollar company to keep them occupied.

Twitchy’s keeping track of the backlash.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 9

By taking quick action and removing Robertson from future filming, A&E has sent a strong message that discrimination is neither a Christian nor an American value.”

So, by discriminating against Robertson, A&E has taken a stand against discrimination, lol. Alrighty then.

BTW, who did he discriminate against again?

xblade on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Oh, and if I were the Robertsons I would tell A&E to go run reruns of Queer as folk and see how that works out for them.

Rocks on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

aquaviva on December 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM

One certainly tastes better than the other.

Yeah, I am bad.

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I really don’t want to hear why you know this….

nukemhill on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

When was the first or last time A&E punished a Muslim for expressing religious beliefs that a small group of people deemed offensive?

whatcat on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Didn’t A&E also cut out Jesus from their end of show prayer once too and the Ducks pitched a fit and they put it back in? they’re a close knit family, I wonder if the sons will stand by their dad. I bet Si will! Stay tuned…

scalleywag on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Actually, I should say that we already are at the point where publicly speaking ill of homosexuality will lead to your vilification and the assassination of your character.

bluegill on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I’m still trying to figure out which remarks of Phil’s MKH doesn’t agree with….

d1carter on December 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM

It won’t be long, Mark my words,until they try to force Christians by law to perform gay marriages.

iceman1960 on December 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Within 10 years you can bet.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Judge Rules Christian facility cannot ban same-sex civil union ceremony on its own premises

kcewa on December 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM

“I’m still trying to figure out which remarks of Phil’s MKH doesn’t agree with….”

Maybe MKH is AtheistFeeeevahhh ????

Eph on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

“I don’t agree with Robertson’s remarks”

It’s interesting that you felt you had to make that comment. Your agreement wasn’t really relevant to the story. But thanks for writing the artical.

whbates on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

MKH:I don’t agree with Robertson’s remarks

Which remarks? He cited applicable Scripture.

whatcat on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Wow…This guy is like a poster child for uneducated, superstitious socons everywhere. You new earthers’ should be so proud!

Bandit13 on December 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Productive people with loads of $$$ who sell a good product are not “uneducated”, dear.

Punchenko on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

BTW, who did he discriminate against again?

xblade on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Well we can discriminate about what stations we choose to watch.

That word is used in such a distorted fashion. How did Robertson discriminate against gays anyway?

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

The nation has its latest Chick-fil-A moment. Sorry, libs. You keep setting yourself up for this and I find it entertaining.

Philly on December 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Wish GLAAD would get glad.

Take a chill pill.

Bitter Clinger on December 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

A&E really doesn’t like money do they? Meh, their loss. The family will stick by their own, and if A&E is really that stupid, CMT will pick them up in a flash.

Gingotts on December 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I have to get out more. I don’t hear a lot of support for gay marriage here. It might be a Christian-circle observer bias.

I don’t agree with Robertson’s remarks, but this is clearly an overreaction.

I’m wondering which remark you disagree with.

I’ll stick with my comment on this topic from the other thread.

Bmore on December 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I almost did that. :)

Axe on December 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Older families members are usually opinionated and sometime cankerous. Who would have guessed?

I know I’m having a Merry Conservative Christmas, or none at all.

HellCat on December 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

C’mon Ducks, and I know some of you show up here. Show A&E the real meaning of family, and fire their ass. They’ve crossed the line, here, and you hold all the weapons (no pun intended).

TXUS on December 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I don’t agree with Robertson’s remarks …

What, MKH, is disagreeable in his remarks? Or, is your issue the straight-forward, graphic manner in which he expressed them? Substance or form? Hmmm?

TXUS on December 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

One must say that to preserve any possible $career advancement to the MSM.

VorDaj on December 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Hey, if A&E wants to jeopardize their number one revenue stream by capitulating to the 2 percent of the perversions of nature, so be it. Good luck with that.

Mr. Arrogant on December 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM

They sell Duck Dynasty wine at Walmart. I think I’ll buy some.

wolly4321 on December 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Freedom of Speech — we used to be the United States of America.

The man is entitled to his own opinions and to be able to speak them.

CoffeeLover on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Commenters all over the web are supporting Phil. Drudge is linking to a Hollywood Insider story and the comments read like Ammoland!

I luvs it.

Nemesis of Jihad on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Looks like A&E’s Duck Dynasty page is taking heat. Only Perez Hilton came in support for the @nus in his normal classy way.

LoganSix on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Bandit13 on December 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Punchenko on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

He’s probably posting on an obamaphone from his subsidized house.
What’s this $$$ making you speak of?

AllahsNippleHair on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I really don’t want to hear why you know this….

nukemhill on December 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I will tell you any way.

One of the first things you learn when field dressing your kill is to be very careful around the a n u s so as not to spoil the meat. Nor so much care needs to be taken around the other orifice.

You can extrapolate to other species.

What did you think?

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

“It’s interesting that you felt you had to make that comment.”

Eph on December 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM

The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.

Ah, the old “indefinite” suspension. I’m guessing an adjustment to a definite time frame would be forthcoming if Phil delivers a full-throated apology for his “insensitivity”. I’m also guessing Phil isn’t about to cave to that.

Bitter Clinger on December 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM

#sand

Axeman on December 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I don’t agree with Robertson’s remarks …

TXUS on December 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

That’s a really good question. My quick, initial interpretation of her quote above is “I’m not anti-gay — I love everyone. I’m not a bad person”. Which is how the gay-baiters, the race-baiters, the gender-baiters, WANT you to respond. Like in the song “Uneasy Rider” — “And I ain’t even got a garage, you can call home and ask my wife!”. They slime you as something you’re not, then you get all defensive and say, “Oh, no, I’m not like that at all! You got it all wrong! I’m not a bigot, I’m not a hater! That’s not me!”. Then, they win.

Is that the trap MKH has fallen into? I hope not!

Paul-Cincy on December 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM

“I don’t agree with Robertson’s remarks”
It’s interesting that you felt you had to make that comment. ….

whbates on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Do you think she wants to be the next target? They’re ruthless.

Preference? For anus? Others’ tastes? That just sounds silly…and probably a bad choice of words.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

MKH is entitled to her disagreement here. She’s just wrong. No big deal.

22044 on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I luvs it.

Nemesis of Jihad on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

The “Do you support Phil Robertson’s opinion? Yes↑ No↓ ” is going up faster than the National Debt.

LoganSix on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

bluegill on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM

And every single commenter on Fox has felt the need to add, “I personally don’t have a problem with it” when covering same-sex marriage stories, and MKH made sure to add, “I don’t agree though,” and so on.

Is it on the application? Do you have to check a box saying “There’s no such thing as sexual sin” or something before they will let you make the big, National Publication bucks?

This guy’s not vilifying anyone — he’s just an actual Christian.

Axe on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I luvs it.

Nemesis of Jihad on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Is the up counter on that one post still going crazy?

gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

whatcat on December 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM

When was the first or last time A&E punished a Muslim for expressing religious beliefs that all civilized people find offensive?

VorDaj on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

So Bandit was just trolling. Figures. Not much there.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM

gonna copy what I put in the headline section

yayyyy I’m so proud of my gay country…don’t want to bake a cake a same sex marriage? fine, get fined or jail time..don’t want to take pictures of a gay wedding? fine, get fined..you want to preach out against the sin that is homosexuality? fine, get fired from a TV show..I WEEP for this country…I know God does too..God please save us..save us

sadsushi on December 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Philly on December 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Me too! :)

I think this will end up being a bigger deal than Chick-fil-A – we’ll see.

Anti-Control on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

16K votes and counting. In fairness, it’s easy to vote up, anyone can do it, but one must have a disqus account to vote down.

Still, each vote is unique. This is how we engage and win culture wars, it starts with us.

22044 on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

i typed a long comment and somehow it never posted… but i didn’t have any forbidden words so idk what happened. but whatever. i agree with you all, lol.

Give me a friggin’ break! Nowadays it seems as though if you don’t think gay sex is the most awesome thing ever then you must be the world’s most evil person and therefore must be banished.

exactly. you HAVE to support homosexuality or else you are a bad person. that is a fact. you cannot argue. it’s written in stone. you are a bad person. it doesn’t matter if you are nice to others, you pray for others, you help others, none of that matters. if you don’t support homosexuality, the undeniable fact is that you are indeed a bad person, and you should be ashamed, and how dare you.

it’s scary how many people in our society have this mindset. i never talk about my Biblical views on homosexuality (unless i’m in church, where people agree) because i know that if i do, i know i will be instantly hated by many people, even people who used to like me. ironically, i have to keep those opinions… in the closet.

Just because someone thinks homosexuality is a sin doens’t mean that person hates gay people.

i have the strong desire to shout this from every mountaintop in the world…

If that were true, then by the same logic vegetarians must then hate meat eaters because they think eating meat is wrong.

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

that’s a really good point! i’m going to remember that!

Sachiko on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

A&E is an American cable and satellite television channel that serves as the flagship television property of A+E Networks, a joint venture between the Hearst Corporation and Disney–ABC Television Group (both of which maintain a 50% ownership interest).

Boycott?

kcewa on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Freedom of Speech — we used to be the United States of America.

The man is entitled to his own opinions and to be able to speak them.

CoffeeLover on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

This is not a First Amendment issue. A&E is not run by the government. He is entitled to his opinions and A&E is entitled to decide to take him off the air. We are entitled to criticize A&E for that action.

Bitter Clinger on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Isn’t there a DD marathon tomorrow with fan tweets?

That could be interesting…

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

#sand

Axeman on December 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Well the haters say #:

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

What he said is true, an an*s is not a v*gina, and for a real man only the best will do, I mean who wants a substitute, and a very poor one at that! ;D

Scrumpy on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

What, in your mind, is sinful?

This is the quote from the post. Which part does MKH disagree with?

INC on December 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

There are not many public figures left who will speak their politically incorrect mind, consequenses be damned. It’s refreshing to see someone with the stones to stand up to political correctness.

Texas Zombie on December 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

AllahsNippleHair on December 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM

IN your freakish ass dreams nutter. You weirdos kill me.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Liar! Why do you lie? Why listen to a liar like you???!??!?!?!?!

*rolls eyes*

You’re the one that seems so obsessed with ass tonight…

JetBoy on December 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM

gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Si, Senorita

Nemesis of Jihad on December 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I’m still trying to figure out which remarks of Phil’s MKH doesn’t agree with….

d1carter on December 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Me too. That one is a real head-scratcher. All he did was cite the mainstream Christian belief and back it up with scripture. What’s the big deal? I am rather agnostic myself, but I can’t say that I disagree with his remarks. Nature is meant to work a certain way, and when things don’t work that way, things are exceptional (in the true sense of the word).

stvnscott on December 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM

This is the quote from the post. Which part does MKH disagree with?

INC on December 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

She might be a bit confused on who said what. Apparently she believes Breaking Bad was on A&E.

LoganSix on December 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM

JetBoy on December 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM

That’s your first post here. You lied about what Robertson said.

You , others here, and I know it. Nuff said. You know down deep you lack character.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

AllahsNippleHair on December 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM

…thanks for the heads up…I wasn’t paying attention to the Headlines…it was already over 170!…geez!

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Me too! :)

I think this will end up being a bigger deal than Chick-fil-A – we’ll see.

Anti-Control on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I think so too. This might just be the last straw so to speak.

People have had it.

gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Is the up counter on that one post still going crazy?

gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I had to go over there and see what you were talking about… Never seen anything quite like that on a Disqus board.

I was something around #16230. It was at 16327 when I left, probably not even a full minute later…

Gingotts on December 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Punchenko on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Agreed. I think the only one that isn’t college educated is Si(the funny one). They have ran a successful business and now they’ve produced a top ranking TV show. They sure are some stupid, lazy, uneducated white trash.

DFCtomm on December 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM

A&E knows that having one of its stars compare homosexuality to bestiality wasn’t good for its brand. It knows it will likely lead to advertisers leaving the show to distance themselves from his opinion. They know, if they didn’t suspend him (fire him) they would be criticized by human rights groups.

So, like any other major brand would do, they fired him. A&E doesn’t exist to give a voice to this guy. A&E exists to make money. When one of their talents becomes a liability due to something they said, that’s where A&E makes the call.

It’s just capitalism at work.

triple on December 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Gingotts on December 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

It makes me smile.

gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Liar! Why do you lie?
JetBoy on December 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Dude, really? After the whopper you dropped out of your an__ earlier?

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Diversity=we’ll allow everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, to agree with us

Nemesis of Jihad on December 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I don’t agree with Robertson’s remarks

Smell the fear. “Please, please, please don’t target ME.”

I guess the tolerant gay lobby’s work is done here.

Rational Thought on December 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Me too! :)
I think this will end up being a bigger deal than Chick-fil-A – we’ll see.
Anti-Control on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I think so too. This might just be the last straw so to speak.
People have had it.
gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

What do you think is going to happen? People have “had it” sure. But what specifically is going to be done about it?

happytobehere on December 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

This guy’s not vilifying anyone — he’s just an actual Christian.
Axe on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I agree. The caveat you’re talking about is a reaction to the intimidation. It is a way for people to say, ” I am not one of those retrograde, icky people.” It is a nod to and a validation of the vilification of sincere Christians. The fact that these people feel obligated to include that qualification says a lot.

bluegill on December 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Me too! :)

I think this will end up being a bigger deal than Chick-fil-A – we’ll see.

Anti-Control on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I think so too. This might just be the last straw so to speak.

People have had it.

gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

…ditto that! DUO!

KOOLAID2 on December 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM

16700 and counting.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM

How come we never see a poll taken from the Muslim community about gay marriage and lifestyle? Aren’t we supposed to hold their opinion above anything else?

Jackson on December 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

triple on December 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM

He didn’t do that.

Paul-Cincy on December 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

*rolls eyes*

Don’t do that Jet. It makes you look as stupid as one of our famous Harvard educated trolls.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

hat he said is true, an an*s is not a v*gina, and for a real man only the best will do, I mean who wants a substitute, and a very poor one at that! ;D Scrumpy on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I want one(vajayjay) that can shot put ben wa balls 50 yards for a field goal.

wolly4321 on December 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Philly on December 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I’ve started referring to my employer as ‘PC-Mart’. Paula Dean stuff was very popular too. She was dropped-and DD will be too.
You read it first here.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I’m buying myself a duck call for Christmas.

oldleprechaun on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

If anyone is interested…and considering it’s CW we’re talking about here, that’s debatable…here’s the Headline thread comments. Peruse at your convenience and see CW hijacking the comments section with his non-stop hissy fit.

JetBoy on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Me too! :)

I think this will end up being a bigger deal than Chick-fil-A – we’ll see.

Anti-Control on December 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I think so too. This might just be the last straw so to speak.

People have had it.

gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

So, are we calling it hate duck?

AllahsNippleHair on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I think so too. This might just be the last straw so to speak.

People have had it.

gophergirl on December 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I don’t watch TV, and I’m feeling it. I read that article, and could see what a good, respectful person Phil is – the leftards do not know what they’ve unleashed.

Anti-Control on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

‘Tis a shame. I really liked Longmire and Storage Wars. They don’t have anything else worth watching. Maybe Longmire can got to AMC, it’s got that sort of feel.

LoganSix on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

He didn’t do that.

Paul-Cincy on December 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Yes, he did. If you’re jumping on the “eff political correctness” bandwagon, at least own it.

triple on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

triple on December 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Jet your buddy’s here to help spread the lie. You going to stand by or stand up?

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Paul-Cincy on December 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Yes, and I think that’s the trap the liberal media tries to get us into, including the love of my life, Mary Katharine. It’s one thing being “anti-gay”, as Phil is being painted, and entirely another to express one’s own belief in what’s right and what’s wrong within your religious beliefs and values, as he was doing.

Yeah, my beliefs have it wrong for boys to want boys and girls to want girls in a sexual sense, but I could care less if that’s the path they choose. Just stay away from my kids, and they’ll be okay by me. Not going to hurt them or drag them, chained behind my truck, on some dirt road or hang them from a tree. Ain’t the same.

TXUS on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

bluegill on December 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

It’s called living in fear of rejection. It’s so pathetically human, and yet it is expected that people who think with their brains (Rs) won’t fall for it. Easiest way to find the RINOS is to find their panic buttons. They always run.

nobar on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I don’t agree with Robertson’s remarks
Smell the fear. “Please, please, please don’t target ME.”
I guess the tolerant gay lobby’s work is done here.
Rational Thought on December 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

It’s not the “gay lobby.” It’s the group think. No one is in charge. There are no orders being directed from on high. Our institutions, run by the new-Puritans, have declared this type of speech illegal. How they all know it’s illegal is the scary part. They just know.

happytobehere on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Taboo.

Exactly. The only things you cannot say in this country are:

- that you have become aware that young black males commit an astonishing percentage of our violent crime;

- that you have become aware that Muslims commit virtually all international terrorism; or

- that your interpretation of the (remarkably clear) Biblical statements on homosexuality make it sound like the Bible discourages same-sex sex.

Violations of the prohibition on such statements will cause all right thinking people (by which I mean left-thinking people) to quite properly ostracize you as a hater, a bigot, a fundamentalist redneck troglodyte knuckle-dragging myth-reading 1st century doofus.

I, for one, think Phil is both hilarious and admirable.

Jaibones on December 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

happytobehere on December 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Let’s start by not being afraid to say “faggot” in public. It means wussy.

All together now . . .

Nemesis of Jihad on December 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Lemme check my Catechism.

Nope. Largest denomination of true Christians agree with Phil.

Spade on December 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

JetBoy on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I read it in real time. You did it.

I didn’t used to think badly of you.

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

JetBoy on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Poor Jetboy called out for his dishonesty.

Everyone go peruse the thread. Notice how Jetboy lied.

Character not.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

It’s just capitalism at work.

triple on December 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM

first of all, you are ignoring all the people who support phil’s opinion and disagree with A&E. look at this post and scroll to the top comment, which asks people to upvote if they agree with phil. 17,030 upvotes and counting, 62 down!!

second, no one here is saying that A&E has no right to fire him. they can do what they want. it’s a stupid thing to do though.

Sachiko on December 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

What, in your mind, is sinful?

This is the quote from the post. Which part does MKH disagree with?

INC on December 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

The word “paraphrases,” probably. Considering the many versions and translations of the Bible, one should tread carefully about the distinction between paraphrasing and outright quoting. I’m not saying that the article is wrong, or that MKH is wrong here, but maybe that there is room for debate.

Or perhaps one of our editors is a squish… nah.

Gingotts on December 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I didn’t used to think badly of you.

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Jetboy owns the lie now. There’s no going back and he couldn’t give a crap. Truth be damned.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I’m buying myself a duck call for Christmas.

oldleprechaun on December 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Or a Duck Commander hat.

Jaibones on December 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

triple on December 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Did he compare sleeping with lots of women to bestiality?

happytobehere on December 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

happytobehere on December 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Let’s start by not being afraid to say “faggot” in public. It means wussy.

All together now . . .

Nemesis of Jihad on December 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

This is where we lose the argument.

AllahsNippleHair on December 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Poor Jetboy called out for his dishonesty.

Everyone go peruse the thread. Notice how Jetboy lied.

Character not.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

What did I lie about?

JetBoy on December 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

ObamaCare. Because people will just have to munch on anus grewl instead of va Jay jay pie so illegals can get free health-care.

SparkPlug on December 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

iceman1960 on December 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Yep…also I think when Christians in the future preach against sin, especially homosexuality, it will be called hate speech and we will be prosecuted for it..no doubt about it

sadsushi on December 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

triple on December 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

You are going with the lie as well?

The quote is right up at the top of this page.

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

What did I lie about?

JetBoy on December 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Obtuse much?

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

You are going with the lie as well?

The quote is right up at the top of this page.

cozmo on December 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Now Jet’s playing the village idiot.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM