posted at 2:41 pm on December 17, 2013 by Allahpundit

I don’t know what he’s talking about. For starters, this is true:

And he doesn’t even care about the education bill! If he spent 1/1000th of the energy he devotes to personal ambition to passing major legislation, America in “House of Cards” would already have single-payer and an 80 percent top bracket. But what fun would Frank be then? He’d basically be Lyndon Johnson. In fact, it’s a failing of the HOC writers that they had him angling to become VP instead of secretary of state, the job he was initially touted for. Watching Frank run the world by maneuvering various foreign leaders around on his diabolical chessboard would have been a blast. As it is, you can already guess the arc of season two: Frank will have to destroy Zoe Barnes before she destroys him and then he’ll plot the president’s assassination to clear his path to ultimate power. That’s fine, but it’d be nice if there was a smart alternative on TV (er, I mean Netflix) to Homeland’s “Carrie hearts Brody” take on foreign policy.

Never mind that, though. Why is a guy whose executive power grabs have begun to alarm even liberal legal scholars whining about HOC’s comparative “ruthless efficiency”? Frank Underwood’s guilty of many things but not even he proposed having the president simply ignore laws that are politically inconvenient to him. And when O does deign to go to Congress, he’s lucky to have two Underwood-esque leaders there to help him. Harry Reid, whose Machiavellian genius for self-preservation was celebrated just this week in Politico, nuked the filibuster a few weeks ago to streamline confirmation of Obama’s nominees. Pelosi managed to get ObamaCare through the House even after the deep blue voters of Massachusetts replaced Ted Kennedy with a Republican who promised to vote against the law in the Senate. These people are not wallflowers. Maybe the reason Frank Underwood (allegedly) gets stuff done is because he doesn’t push policies that are destined to shrink his caucus in the House. Something for O to think about.

Oh, by the way: He made these remarks at the start of a meeting he called to convince tech execs to keep playing ball with the NSA on surveillance. So much for ruthlessness.

Comments

“It’s not my fault.”

oldroy on December 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM

The framers didn’t want efficient. they wanted ethical. you fail either way.

WryTrvllr on December 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM

“It’s not my fault.”

oldroy on December 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Ouch. Good One.

WryTrvllr on December 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I really think he’d prefer “The Tudors.”

Ed Morrissey on December 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Oh, by the way: He made these remarks at the start of a meeting he called to convince tech execs to keep playing bill with the NSA on surveillance. So much for ruthlessness.

I’m guessing they needed to be convinced to keep playing ball with the NSA. I’m not even going to contemplate what playing bill would entail.

As to HOC, they still at the prison these days or have they moved on? ;0

Happy Nomad on December 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I really think he’d prefer “The Tudors.”

Ed Morrissey on December 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Talk about ruthless efficiency!

Happy Nomad on December 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Obama: I wish Washington was as ruthlessly efficient as it is in “House of Cards” my idol Sukarno made Jakarta.

I don’t know what “House of Cards” is, nor do I care, but I do know that Barky has dreamt of being a new Sukarno ever since he spent his formative years growing up as a retarded muslim kid, eating dogs to absorb their intellectual strength, in Indonesia. And he has become a political copy of Sukarno. Shocka!!

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

If I was doing as bad a job as he was I wouldn’t admit to watching TV.

smellthecoffee on December 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I really think he’d prefer “The Tudors.”

Ed Morrissey on December 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

If I was married to Michelle, I would too.

CurtZHP on December 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Good grief.

Does this guy actually do anything besides watch television?

And liberals used to sneer at Ronald Reagan because he came from Hollywood. At least he didn’t sit around wishing for Flash Gordon to come along and fix everything.

rockmom on December 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

And Kevin Spacey starts out by killing a dog. (They didn’t show if he ate it or not

LtGenRob on December 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Reality. He’s lost grasp of it.

portlandon on December 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I must be living under a rock, I had to look up House of Cards to see what it is. For once Obama is more informed than I am.

tommer74 on December 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

“False. Frank Underwood does not get anything done except an absurdly implausible federal ed reform law. And murder.”

Well the Underwood character is a Democrat lacking a moral compass or conscience, but that’s normal for that side of the political aisle.

raz0r on December 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

rockmom on December 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Yes, he is very active in Golf and loves filling out March madness brackets.

tommer74 on December 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Efficient would be Obama removing himself from office. Hell, leave the country while you’re at it.

RDE2010 on December 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

“I served with Frank Underwood. I knew Frank Underwood. Frank Underwood was a friend of mine. Mr. President, you’re no Frank Underwood.”

Tsar of Earth on December 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM

It’s unbelievable that this guy watches hours of TV every day. ESPN, cable series, movie channels, all kinds of stuff. Every day with Obama is a stunning day.

MTF on December 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Can you say Congresswoman Mia Love

ConservativePartyNow on December 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Lying tends to gum up the works in so many circumstances. Especially the ones that collide with the lies.

DanMan on December 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I loved it when Frank Underwood sang the national anthem as Enrique Pallazzo….funny stuff!

Ditkaca on December 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Obama relates to fictitious Hollywood characters because he is one.

OxyCon on December 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Having watched HOC in one sitting, and having worked on the hill for some time, Spacey’s portrayal is a concerning combination of Harry Reid’s ruthlessness and Karl Rove’s cunning.

The sex part, well that’s any number of fake marriages in Washington.

It’s always concerning when a Ranking Congressman turns to you at dinner, looks across the room at a female lobbyists, smiles to her, then turns back and says “You know what women like? Power…”

Happened to me the second lunch I had down there…

Washington Fancy on December 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Yet. Just wait until the death panels kick in.

HellCat on December 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I don’t know what “House of Cards” is, nor do I care…

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

It is a NetFlix series on how our government operates. An education that would otherwise require a lifetime to acquire.

Tsar of Earth on December 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

From the wikipedia synopsis of the show:

“In order to raise his profile without doing much, Underwood begins acquiring pawns in his scheme to get a bill on the floor. He goes so far as to procure interns from other congressmen to work around the clock on writing the bill, manipulating them into thinking that they were contributing to law that would change education in America. He contributes little and has inexperienced underlings preparing an ambitious document which he barely takes the time to read.”

Substitute obama for Underwood and healthcare for education and it’s pretty spot on.

HumpBot Salvation on December 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Obama watches a lot of tv. I wonder how is tv watching time compares to past presidents.

mbs on December 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

not the Sopranos????

ted c on December 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Zyklon-B was efficient

Bevan on December 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

RDE2010 on December 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Well, he is going to Asia, er Hawaii for seventeen days soon.

Come on, guys, he is so dreamy, and he has a winning smile, which you can bask in if you can take your eyes off his pants crease.

onlineanalyst on December 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Reality. He’s lost grasp of it.

portlandon on December 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Him and the rest of the national socialist left – seriously, debate any of those folks and their fall back position in most cases to simply deny reality.

Alternative to Obamacare – deny they exist.

Obamascandals – didn’t happen.

Lousy economy – it’s great!, what are you talking about?

Galt2009 on December 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Is Obama still playing a “president” on TV?

SpiderMike on December 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

not the Sopranos????

ted c on December 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

That was the Clintons. (Remember one of Hillary’s early campaign ads?)

onlineanalyst on December 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Is Obama still playing a “president” on TV?

SpiderMike on December 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Yeah. It’s a show called “House of Tards”.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

He has his wish. Obamacare is a house of cards. It’s collapsing like one, anyway.

NoFanofLibs on December 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

— Alex Burns (@aburnspolitico) December 17, 2013

That’s not true. He also took care of that problem with the peach sculpture in his home district.

changer1701 on December 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Spacey = killing a dog = Go To the Hottest Part of H***

avagreen on December 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM

And, o belongs there, too. He will eventually at any rate.

avagreen on December 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM

He isn’t even trying to hide his dictatorial ambitions meanwhile the RINOs declare that the Tea Party is more dangerous to Repubs than the Dems? Where can I catch the next shuttle flight to Realville? I don’t like what my country has become.

neyney on December 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM

The British version of “House of Cards” was so much superior to the American version.

That being said, if this WH emulates any British show it would have to be “Fawlty Towers”

BTW Since I’m on the subject of British shows, I highly recommend the series “Yes, Minister” and “Yes, Prime Minister” for comedy about the inefficiencies of government: hilarious and timeless stuff.

PackerBronco on December 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Geez, I’m just a crazy white suburban mom worried about her childrens future…and the leader of the free world has more time to watch TV than I do. WTF?

ctmom on December 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM

It’s nice to know someone in this country has an easy job where they can make lots of money and still have time to focus on the meaningless things in life.

Spacen on December 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM

ctmom on December 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM

He’s pacing himself for that 3 AM phone call.

antipc on December 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I’m sure King Barack would really like to be like Red China for one day. Oh, the things he could accomplish!

GarandFan on December 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM

ctmom on December 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I’m stuck in the ‘tweener category, grandbaby to watch while both her mom and dad work, and also POA for mother, suffering from Alzheimer’s, in hospice at an area nursing home.

First her private insurance coverage changes as of next year. Who knows what that will mean.

I’ve just spent the last month filling out paper for my mother at the local level for help with nursing care (for the fourth year in a row) and now the state wants the same damn information. I asked, no they don’t/won’t talk to each other. Also, needed to contact Medicare, which denied a number of claims saying mom was not covered at the time of service. WTF? She is and was covered with no gaps. Then the moron on the phone starts acting coy. “The numbers are wrong.” “What numbers?,” I ask. You tell me, says a-hole.

No numbers were wrong. Everything is just effed up.

The letter the state sent me today, says if I don’t get them the same information I already sent them, mom will no longer be covered tomorrow but they can’t talk to me because, though I have already provided POA information to the local healthcare office, the state office doesn’t recognize the status. (?) I asked, what is this all about? You guessed it, Obamacare was the answer. None of this makes sense… by design.

And, our special needs president is watching television while the country burns…

Sorry for the rant, but we also got hit with higher than expected end of year taxes on our small business. We are being squeezed in every direction. I need a 17 day Hawaiian vacation… but won’t get it but Obama will, so he can catch up on more TV shows.

Grrr…

Fallon on December 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM

He’s pacing himself for that 3 AM phone call.

antipc on December 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

He already missed it.
The call was from Benghazi….

dentarthurdent on December 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Mussolini got the trains running on time.
I believe that’s the efficient government 0barky is trying to copy….

dentarthurdent on December 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Obama would love to run things not just in the “Chicago Way”, but under the same conditions as Chicago — i.e. a completely single-party government, where all of the intrigue can be contained backstage and within the party apparatus.

As weak as the Washington GOP is, it’s still some sort of opposition to him, even before we get to those opponents outside the Beltway, along with the new media, talk radio and Fox News. Those are the opponents Obama would love to do away with, but because he’s so used to having other people do his work for him and at heart is still a beta-male with a massive ego, he’s not going to be the one to put the hammer down — Barack Obama would love for someone else — Valerie, Harry, the execs at Comcast/NBC, anyone! — to put the hammer down for Obama to give him absolute control, but other than nibbling around the edges with executive orders, he’s too gutless to go full Hugo Chavez on his own.

jon1979 on December 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

PackerBronco on December 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Dark Shadows, hands down.

BobMbx on December 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Fallon on December 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Girl, you have my complete admiration for what you are going through! All this crap was present years ago, but from what you are saying it has increased by 1000%. D.a.m.n.!

Have you tried to do an internet search for legal help for elderly in your state?
Something like this?>>>>>”legal help for elderly” (internet search on DuckDuckGo).

avagreen on December 17, 2013 at 4:16 PM

A Freudian slip by Obama–he dreams of being a “ruthless” dictator, doing things by wishing and speaking. Unfortunately for Obama, and fortunately for the rest of us, we live in a “messy democracy” where Congress has real brakes that can slow down Obama’s runaway train. Then there’s that old Constitution thingy, written by slave-owning racist white men, that gives power to unenlightened people who dare to question His Majesty’s wisdom. How stupid of them to have actually PLANNED for divided government!

Now we understand why he was so eager to shake Raul Castro’s hand–he wants to be Fidel.

Steve Z on December 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

He already missed it.
The call was from Benghazi….

dentarthurdent on December 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Protests are below teh Ones pay scale.

antipc on December 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM

So he’d like to be a murdering sociopath, huh? Ummmm…I think your wish has been granted, Zero.

Rational Thought on December 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Yeah. It’s a show called “House of Tards”.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Thread Winner!

GWB on December 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Want efficiency? For starters, reduce spending, cut way back on the bloated bureaucracy, have regular audits, get rid of the “Federal” Reserve, then weed out all Liberal Democrats, RINOs, balance the budget, eliminate pork/riders, and bring charges against those who are or have been engaged in various crimes.

Then we can go on from there.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM

MTF on December 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Obama is a clown.

Paul-Cincy on December 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

He is a profoundly unserious man.

NavyMustang on December 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Wouldn’t you just HATE to be in a meeting with this know nothing huckster? And I’d like to know who the “hah hah hah hah” guys are.

/Those are the boot lickers – I’d like to boycott their products.

Key West Reader on December 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Obama is a RODEO

clown.

Paul-Cincy on December 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

FIFY, ya racist.

Key West Reader on December 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You’d think he’s lament how things are more like the tv show The West Wing… where liberal policies just magically work and a Democrat President always gets the upper hand against Republicans.

Of course even if things were as he wanted with HOC, we need to remember who the star of our show is…
Obama: “Bored now!” *stops watching House of Cards at episode three*

Ukiah on December 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

That’s our Constitution expert talking. He doesn’t get it, does he? Mentally ill, isn’t he? Dangerously delusional, isn’t he?

Is he having a nervous breakdown?

RobertMN on December 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Allah and Ed make the occasional TV or movie reference, as do we, the commenters. I love a juicy Seinfeld quote, or clip, or a relevant movie quote. But … running the country isn’t our job. This is Obama’s JOB. You’d think he’d come at it at a better angle than from a TV show reference.

This is a caricature of what a President would be. And then there’s Biden … the perfect sidekick for Obama. They have all the seriousness of Cheech and Chong, or Beavis and Butthead.

Paul-Cincy on December 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM

RobertMN on December 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM

avagreen on December 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM

“I wish . . .”

That’s his problem in a nutshell. He lives in fantasy land.

Troy on December 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM

/Those are the boot lickers – I’d like to boycott their products.

Key West Reader on December 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I’m pretty sure this was at a meeting with the big tech companies (Google, Yahoo, etc) where they were supposed to talk about the infringement on people’s privacy. So he starts yukking it up and then “Obama ‘hijacks’ tech executive meeting to make ‘PR pitch’ on Obamacare website fix instead of dealing with NSA surveillance”

scalleywag on December 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Wrong, it is your incompetence that prevents anything meaningful to get done. Just trillions more in debt.

jake49 on December 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Unless this “House of Cards” show is about Zimbabwe, under Mugabe, 0bama is lying about wanting to emulate it.

LegendHasIt on December 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

No selfies with the blond on his right? Seriously?

NoPain on December 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM