McCain: Republicans who vote against this budget deal without proposing their own plan lack some intellectual integrity

posted at 4:41 pm on December 17, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Charlie Spiering, for once Maverick really is engaged in some straight talk. He’s not voting for the Boehner/Ryan bill because it’s a good deal, he says, he’s voting for it because his top priority here is to avert another shutdown. Simple as that. (Well, almost: He also wants to roll back sequestration cuts to defense spending, naturally.) That’s why the House GOP passed it too, notwithstanding Paul Ryan’s frequently painful attempts to frame the deal as some sort of win for smaller government. Republicans in leadership are terrified that Cruz or Paul will build a grassroots groundswell for another shutdown before the midterms so they decided to take that weapon out of their hands. McCain’s whole shpiel here, in fact, is basically an accusation that the “defund” faction led the party into a standoff which it had no plan for resolving. No more dead ends, says Maverick.

Or are there?

Senate Republicans Tuesday said they are ready to go to battle over raising the debt limit early next year, echoing comments made by Rep. Paul Ryan over the weekend that the GOP would rally for certain concessions from Democrats at that point…

“We have got to rein in our out of control spending … we’ve also got to provide real relief to the millions of people hurting because of Obamacare. I think that needs to be the focus,” Cruz said. “I am hopeful that we will use every leverage point available to try and turn this country around and pull back from the fiscal and economic cliff we find ourselves in.”…

Sen. Jeff Flake argued that negotiations over the debt limit have been effective, resulting in spending reductions that Republicans want. Flake would not point to any one thing he’d like to see as part of a debt limit increase except to say “spending cuts.”

Does the GOP have any real leverage in the next debt-ceiling battle, though? There’s already a de facto “centrist caucus” of Republicans in the Senate who’ll vote with Reid to give him 60 votes in the event of any intractable brinksmanship. You know the names — McCain, Collins, Kirk, Murkowski, sometimes Graham, sometimes Isakson, etc. There are always six that Reid can get, which means the success of a debt-ceiling standoff next time depends entirely on Boehner’s resoluteness. Does … this sound like a man who’s ready to go to the mat for conservatives, knowing that hitting the debt limit and triggering a technical default would be more severe than shutting down the government was? Even if, miraculously, Senate Republicans held together and Reid couldn’t get to 60 votes, a debt-ceiling standoff would be the perfect time for him to nuke what’s left of the filibuster. “I’m doing it to save America from default,” he’d say, and the media would applaud. His party might even get a bounce from it in the polls. Not sure why so many congressional Republicans, including Paul Ryan, want to mislead grassroots righties about the debt ceiling now when we all know what the outcome will be.

Anyway, here’s Maverick engaged in his favorite pastime, i.e. congratulating himself for having more integrity than you. If he wanted to accuse his colleagues of lacking intellectual integrity, I don’t know why he seized on this business about not offering an alternative plan. The real reason they lack integrity is that most of them secretly agree that another shutdown should be avoided at all costs. Most voted no today purely because Reid didn’t need them to invoke cloture, leaving them free to impress conservatives by formally rejecting the deal. Whatever.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I don’t know about integrity, but his basic message is correct.
There is a monster in the White House who is turning our country into a Stalinist nightmare. People who publicly criticize ObamaCare are suddenly audited by the IRS. It sounds lame, but the fact is, we can’t afford to stand on principle. There is too much at stake. Republicans never win these Mexican standoffs. The only hope for our country is for Republicans to take over the Senate next year and the White House in 2016. Any Republican candidate is miles better than Hillary.

DiEmes on December 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

If we get enough signatures from the other states can we have McCain’s designation changed from Republican to Democrat? Get him out of the GOP!

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM

The Republicans always hated sequestration because it did not increase spending fast enough to suit them.

They only “won” it by accident. And have tried to get rid of it every since.

They continually lied to the base, claiming that it involved budget cuts, which is false. It made increases permanent.

kunegetikos on December 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM

“fight with me my friends”

Lieing jackass dinosaur.

I’m going to email him a picture of his daughters knockers.

I hate the man.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I’m going to email him a picture of his daughters knockers.

I hate the man.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

My God man where prey tell did you bed the spawn of McStain? A true patriot you are for such a sacrafice for country, was the cost of this great patriotic duty a bag of Cristie Cremes?

ConcealedKerry on December 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM

The ‘no’ answer is that the House is the one responsible for the form the budget and that they have neglected their duties of responsible budgeting and oversight by not going agency by agency, department by department and passing budgets that do not have slush funds for the Executive to shift funds between agencies at whim. That is not the responsibility of the Senate but the House, and it has been neglecting its duties in both parties for decades, which is a good part of the reason we are in the mess we are in.

If Speaker Boehner can’t do his job and this is the BEST that Rep. Ryan can do with the duties and responsibilities handed to them, then they need to be reminded that they have such duties and obligations to allocate tax dollars wisely and to do everything that is possible to cut budgets and bring the deficit down so we no longer add burden on to our children and grand-children for our inability to be fiscally prudent. That is the job of the US House in starting all funding, not the Senate. And in the minority in the Senate you don’t get much if any say on what the process is, but you sure can vote on the result.

ajacksonian on December 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM

leaving them free to impress conservatives by formally rejecting the deal.

Not working.

txhsmom on December 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Is Arizona going to re-elect this guy again?

jake49 on December 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I’m going to email him a picture of his daughters knockers.

I hate the man.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

How to make 20 pounds of fat look good?

Put a nipple on it.

/My brother told me to post that.

Key West Reader on December 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM

McCain’s seemingly impossible accomplishment is that most conservatives now concede privately that the lesser azzhat won in 2008.

kunegetikos on December 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM

You know the old senile guy would have signed McCain Care and then the republicans would have had to vote yes too for PARTY UNITY.

It’s only PARTY UNITY when the RINOS get their way.

jukin3 on December 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I disagree. No way in hell Democrats would’ve let McCain have his name on nationalized health care. Besides Palin, that is the only reason I voted for him.

txhsmom on December 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM

ConcealedKerry on December 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I couldn’t afford that many twinkies. Her ta ta’s are all over the net. She’s a well known twitter slut.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM

how to make 20 pounds of fat look good? Put a nipple on it. /My brother told me to post that. Key West Reader on December 17, 2013 at 6:40 Pm

Lol! that’s good.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Is Arizona going to re-elect this guy again?

jake49

Only if he decides to run.

xblade on December 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM

At least meggiemac didn’t go full nekkid like dogeaters momma.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Well I guess the road apple don’t fall far from the Old Horses Ass, she needs to advertise those ample Ta ta’s and hide the rest of her ample bod and big mouf to snag herself a rich guy like the Old Horses Ass has done on his ride down easy peasy street!

ConcealedKerry on December 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I agree with that all. Why hasn’t someone written it up and offered it so we can point to the “whatshisname” plan as the conservative alternative. Something a bit more detailed than “no new taxes” and “no backing off sequester” that we could present to the people as a banner to rally under.

tommyboy on December 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Oh, I see what you’re saying now, sorry.

My working assumption is any alternatives that other politicians might have presented were squashed to demonstrate “party unity.” One of the strawmen the GOP is using is “You must want a shutdown if you criticize our plan!” and if an alternative like “clean CR” is offered by a Cruz type, that strawman disappears.

Doomberg on December 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Only if he decides to run. xblade on December 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM

If he’s alive, he’ll run.

I can’t prove this. It was years ago. But there used to be a hooker that lived in my apt complex. Played guitar, and I did to. ( I didn’t know she was at first)

One night she admitted it. She was “entertainment director” on Mt Lemmon.

She pulled out one of many business cards from a pocket rolodex. It was mccains for his congressional office, with his cell phone # on the back written in pen.

I didn’t believe her, so she said call it, and I did.

He answered. I hung up.

That chick got disappeared. Never saw her again.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I’m pretty sure I have cast my last vote for a Republican.

Seriously, there is no difference between the GOP in Congress and the Democrats.

I’m done.

DRayRaven on December 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Me, too.

Rational Thought on December 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM

15 million or so hispanic soon-to-be Democrat voters say to you “so what?”.

bofh on December 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM

That chick got disappeared. Never saw her again.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Yike.

Midas on December 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM

( I didn’t know she was at first)

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.:)

That chick got disappeared. Never saw her again.

wolly4321

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least. There’s no doubt in my mind that McCain is one of the most evil people in government that there is.

xblade on December 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM

This is so ignorant.

Here’s a thought expiriment to illustrate what is wrong with McCain’s claim that you have to suggest an alternative to be able to criticize someone else’s suggestion.

Let’s say you are trying to get from one side of the Grand Canyon to the other.

Suppose one member of your party eyeballs it and says, “I’m pretty sure if we got a running start, we can jump across it.”

Are you only allowed to say, “That’s ridiculous. It won’t work.” if you’ve got another solution?

Or, is it perfectly fine to say, “Hey, I’m not sure how we can get across, but, I think that your suggestion is going to result in us crashing and burning?”

JadeNYU on December 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Senators that voted for this without reading it should have very little to say about the intellectual honesty of those whose default position is to oppose what they aren’t allowed to read.

applebutter on December 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Rush is right on this. We don’t need “alternatives”.

Just learn how to say no.

Go Gietner. “no,, we don’t have a plan, we just know we don’t like yours.”

They made that work. Why can’t we?

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM

This guy has become the most useless tool ever.

Ok John here’s a budget plan for you. Quit spending money you don’ have. Reduce ALL federal politician pay and benefits by 20% immediately. Reduce ALL department spending by 20%. No more half million dollar 3 day junkets around the world for Obama, Biden, and the rest of you. All federal employees and politicians enroll, on Obama care NO SUBSIDIES… PERIOD.

There John.. careful what you ask or…

dugbru on December 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Doomberg on December 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Speaking of which, that Boehner or McVain sockpuppet, v7_squirt is back on yesterday’s Paul Ryan post this evening going thru and responding to posts calling everyone who disagrees with it a traitor and lacking intellectual integrity. Now that I think about it, maybe it is Meggie Mac, trolling and scouting for talking points for her senile old man to attack. Uncanny, that what McVain is saying juxtaposed with what conservatives are saying. This is his FU to us.

The sooner the devil comes and takes him away, the better for our children. Which reminds me, I need to bookmark the passage where Paul curses one of his leading trolls so I can quote it as soon as a RINO shuffles off into the afterlife.

AH_C on December 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Jeff Sessions had a plan, Harry Reid wouldn’t let him bring it to a vote.

ctmom on December 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Well if there’s anyone who knows about a lack of integrity it’s John “Keating 5″ McCain.

rbj on December 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

…the senile fool has forgotten that a long time ago

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM

:):):)

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

While Rand Paul was filibustering in the senate, McCain’s alternative was dining with Obama.
I hope his daughter falls on him. Crush injuries are tricky.

RovesChins on December 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM

AH_C

You little girl, If I am all it takes to get you riunning for help I don’t think you are going to be the go to guy for rebuilding America. LOL!

You have endorsed bringing about the destruction of the country because of your fantasy that you will have some say in the way it’s bit back, you have advocated voting for democrats to hasten the demise. If you are rooting for the country’s destruction to get your own way, what’s the difference between you and bin laden and Tim Mc Viegh? (Other than they actually acted on their threats)

and lacking intellectual integrity.

Patriots don’t root for the destruction of the country; they work against it. That’s a lot harder than whining on the internet.

This is his FU to us.

Us? You aren’t a conservative, you don’t want to conserve anything. You are a drama queen that sees everything as a FU.

The sooner the devil comes and takes him away, the better for our children.

Nice, your children have no future because you are working to empower socialists to bring about the end of the country. Thanks for having so many kids that I am going to have to pay for.

Stay classy, Tim McViegh.

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I think it’s now fair to say that this whiny, worthless RINO jackass has officially outlived the respect and honor we have given him for courage in the military in service to his country and his fellow servicemen. That was then, and it stands apart.

But his life as a Senator is shameful. He is an idiot.

Jaibones on December 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

kunegetikos on December 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Stunning naivete duly noted.

In reality, since he lost to the bigger azzhat in 2008, McCain’s polled favorable ratings have in fact been equal to or better than said bigger azzhat O’bama.

Do you have a credible source for your impossible to prove allegation, or did you simply make it up?

Del Dolemonte on December 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

V8-1_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Dude,, STFU.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM

15 million or so hispanic soon-to-be Democrat voters say to you “so what?”.

bofh on December 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Pretty much. Once Boehner, Ryan, and Goodlatte push amnesty through the House, it won’t make a damn bit of difference how I vote.

People who think Obama has turned this country into a banana republic haven’t seen anything yet. The whole country is going to look like Detroit. Or maybe Juarez.

DRayRaven on December 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM

V8-1_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Dude,, STFU.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM

LOL, evidently he’s your senator. Poetic justice.

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM

More Government Integrity

thatsafactjack on December 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Please let a black hole swallow McCain up so I may never have to see or hear from him again.

Jack_Burton on December 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Welcoming 30 million democrat socialist voters in the name of compromise while the alternative is to enforce current immigration laws on the border and the interior.
Wackobird Alternatives.

RovesChins on December 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM

L, evidently he’s your senator. Poetic justice. That goldwing looks like it was abandoned by an illegal who couldn’t get a donkey to cross on by the way. You have fun with that kiddo. V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Little background check, huh?

Yea, that’s my Goldwing on utube. Bought it for $700. Rides great after I restored it. It’s a classic, 34 years old.

Want my SS# too?

The other bike is a 1982 XL 250R. Any comments on that as you google for dirt?

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Felt threatened enough to google me,,, and you came up with a motorcycle restoration video on utube????

Lol!!!! Eleventy!

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM

DRayRaven on December 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Exactly! Exactly!! This!!!

People who give way on mass immigration aren’t giving up on one issue, they are turning coat on every issue, because the new majority’s votes will decide every issue.

David Blue on December 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM

V8-1 is googling your names in lieu of a cogent thought.

Probably works for media matters.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Go home John.

WisCon on December 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Oh,, the humanity!!

Here’s the dirt V8-1_douche searched the net to find..

I’m so ashamed… :(

I’m riding it to work tomorrow.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I like this one better V8-1_nutjob. It hadn’t run in over ten years.

First life after rebuild.

So,,, shove it up your ass.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I don’t know about integrity, but his basic message is correct.

DiEmes on December 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Yeah it is just SOOO wonderful that GOP is cutting bennies from Veterans while increasing spending.

Why the he!! should we keep electing these people> The GOP raised taxes, cut Veterans bennies and talking amnesty. How the he!! are they any different than Hilary?

People like me who have been loyal voters won’t spit on some of these candidates if they were on fire.

Good luck with that “integrity” plan.. You aren’t winning $hit in the next few elections.

RIP GOP, good riddance.

melle1228 on December 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Cut pensions for wounded vets yet continue welfare for illegals. Paul Ryan and the establishment GOP are an eff’ng disgrace.

Mr. Arrogant on December 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM

megyn kelly is pretty p!ssed about the deal…and its impact on wounded warriors.

McCain probably didn’t read the bill. Why do we need a RINO party when they get played by the left every time? Rubio, Ryan, McCain…every is going across the aisle to get hammered and set up to play the Losers…which, come to think of it…they are

r keller on December 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Senator McCain, Why is it that you want to cut pensions for disabled and retired veterans while increasing Obama’s government spending?

paulsur on December 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I’m riding it to work tomorrow.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Sweet!

Midas on December 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I’m riding it to work tomorrow.
wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Nice. I have an 87 Ninja that I bought new. Tatjana sits in my garage with over 55k miles on it waiting for an engine rebuild. Hard to believe she’s 26 years old and I’ve been toting her around with every move for 20 years waiting to be rebuilt. Ah well, one of these days I’ll ride her again even if it takes me another 20 years to rebuild. ;)

AH_C on December 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I’m pretty sure I have cast my last vote for a Republican.

I’m done.

DRayRaven on December 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Me, too.

Rational Thought on December 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Hillary Clinton thanks the both of you. It takes more than voting… but I guess you are happy with ranting online being your only say in the political process.

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Hey 7up,,,

Explain to folks how you knew I had a Goldwing….

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM

“The American people steadfastly reject a shutdown of the government.”

That’s a lie. Even if it were true, it doesn’t seem to matter that we steadfastly reject Obamacare.

Tell you what I also object to: Obamacare’s ‘enbalmacare’ – AKA ‘death panels’ – for us old folks.

Woody

woodcdi on December 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Feed a fever, starve a troll.

Midas on December 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM

woodcdi on December 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Key point. When elites really want what they want, they go get it.

David Blue on December 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM

wolly4321

Little background check, huh?

You got robbed.

Want my SS# too?

No, I want you to grow up.

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

BOHICA

crosshugger on December 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Stay classy, Tim McViegh.
V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Keep talking v_squirt. People need to get a good look at some of their so-called allies and reassess whom the stand with.

McVeigh was an anarchist, nothing more, nothing less. Nothing conservative about him.

As one profile in courage in the film Restless Conscience once said; Until you are free within yourself, you cannot resist anything, let alone tyranny. Chew on that for a while, sockpuppet.

At the risk of being accused of feeding the troll; I’ll toss another bone for your fevered mind; I have multiple 1-degree of separation with the Red Orchestra in real life, the book and the video — not pleased to meet you but can you guess my name?

AH_C on December 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Hey 7up,,,

Explain to folks how you knew I had a Goldwing….

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Yeah, that is kinda interesting.

I think Ed/AP have had an opinion on that kind of thing historically.

Midas on December 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM

feed a fever, starve a troll. Midas on December 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Not this time.

How did he know I owned a Goldwing?

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM

feed a fever, starve a troll. Midas on December 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Not this time.

How did he know I owned a Goldwing?

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Perfectly understandable; line has been crossed.

Midas on December 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Look who’s talking about integrity.

RdLake on December 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

AH_C

Well no, he thought he was going to bring the country back pre-Wilsonian principals. Regardless, his objective is irrelevant, his tactic were to do harm to the USA to get his own way, same as the tactics that you have endorsed. The only difference between the 2 of you is degree.

Yeah, lovely, the subject was you doing deliberate damage to the country in the hopes that you could get your own way. You have advocated voting for democrats specifically because you think they wil trash the country. That makes you a traitor.

Whatever it is, I hope it’s on a watch list because you are no friend to the country. So are you an immigrant?

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

, that is kinda interesting. I think Ed/AP have had an opinion on that kind of thing historically. Midas on December 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I didn’t go un-noticed.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Perfectly understandable; line has been crossed.

Midas on December 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Said the creep who works for the democrats by also advocating that people vote for them. Congratulations, MOBY, you have screwed with a lot of weak minds.

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Republicans protecting Democrats from Conservatives… with Liberals safe to the left it’s 3 on 1 at this point.

MT on December 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

How did you know I had a Goldwing?

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I didn’t go un-noticed.

wolly4321

Your introduction was something along the lines of “STFU” so go cry about it.

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM

The NVA could have saved liberty loving Americans so much trouble…

Murphy9 on December 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

How did you know I had a Goldwing?

wolly432

I imagined what kind of bike a petulant child who would be chiming in with “Dude, STFU” would ride. There, leaning on doublewide, somewhere out in a dustbowl was a mental image of a beat up barka-lounge of an old Honda. I’m looking through the terms of use as we speak and there is nothing in it that I can see about looking that up….
There ought to be one about CONSTANTLY rooting for the destruction of the USA…

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 11:10 PM

7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 11:10 PM

aybe

Maybe you think Ed will buy that. Before he bans your ass.

You didn’t need to go mining. Hell,, I would hace met you for a cup of coffee,, at ten paces.

Maybe it’s time to look up you.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM

wolly4321

aybe

Maybe you think Ed will buy that. Before he bans your ass.

Ed can ban whomever he wants. I’m a bit surprised that he has allowed this strain of “F- the country until we get exactly what we want” mentality to take hold here. Seriously, you weren’t able to use 4 letter words here back in the day, now you can wish for the countries collapse and openly encourage others to do the same.

Something about coffee, I don’t want to buy you coffee. Get some from work, surly there will be someone who bolts through the drive through without their coffee.

Maybe it’s time to look up you.

Have at it, I won’t cry about it here. “Dude.”

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM

The NVA could have saved liberty loving Americans so much trouble…

Murphy9

Amazing, they kept him for 5 and a half years in a cage, kicked his teeth in, set his arms so he can’t raise them above his head, routinely tortured him…. Not good enough for Murphy9.

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM

From American Hero To American Villain

By Steve Deace
John McCain was once a symbol of what’s right with America, persevering through
years of torture and torment while imprisoned in the notorious Hanoi Hilton. But
decades later within the far cozier confines of the U.S Senate, he has become a
symbol of why many Americans in public opinion polls believe our best days are
behind us.
McCain was imprisoned in the Hanoi Hilton because he wore a uniform that stood
for truth, justice, and the American way. Values that represent what we often refer
to as “American Exceptionalism.” Each of those values is anathema to every strain
of statism, including the kind McCain was fighting against in Vietnam. However,
these days McCain is advancing a set of beliefs that aligns much closer with his
former Vietcong captors than the Founding Fathers.
Here is a snapshot chronology of McCain’s record since 2004:
In 2004 McCain spearheaded opposition to an amendment that would’ve
protected marriage and religious liberty via the U.S. Constitution, calling such
efforts “un-Republican” and “unnecessary.” McCain said at the time the loss of
marriage is a problem “most states do not believe confronts them.”
In 2005 McCain worked against efforts to force votes on President George W.
Bush’s judicial nominees that were being stymied by Democrat filibusters.
From 2006-2009 McCain sided with statists in spreading their pseudo-religion/
mythology of manmade global warming, even to the point of supporting cap-
and-tax policies that would severely hamper the American economy.
In 2007 and 2013 McCain twice worked with notoriously anti-Constitutional
leftists (Ted Kennedy and Charles Schumer) to pass scamnesty legislation that
undermines the rule of law, drives down wages and opportunities for American
workers, burdens taxpayers with trillions of dollars in new welfare state
recipients, threatens cultural cohesion and assimilation, and will also result in a
mass statist Democrat voter drive.
McCain suspended his 2008 presidential campaign to help pass what I believe is
one of the most criminal pieces of legislation in American history—TARP. He also
voted for several other pork-riddled “stimulus” programs while claiming to be a
budget deficit hawk.
Following the 2012 re-election of President Obama, McCain told Fox News that
Republicans should stop fighting on child killing, but simply state their position
on the sanctity of human life and then “leave the issue alone.”
In December of 2012 McCain stripped a key provision from the controversial
National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that would require the federal
government to obey the 5 th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, thus providing
American citizens due process of law before being detained.
Earlier this year McCain sided with the statists and against the Second
Amendment in voting for the Toomey-Manchin-Obama federal gun registry.
Earlier this year McCain called the fiscal cliff deal that resulted in the largest tax
increase in 20 years “disgraceful” but voted for it anyway at approximately 1:30
a.m. eastern time.
This year McCain backed U.S. taxpayers sending foreign aid to the Muslim
Brotherhood in Egypt, and opposed the rebellion that removed this terrorist-
friendly regime from power. McCain also backed American military intervention
in Syria that would’ve assisted Jihadist rebels there. McCain even traveled to
Syria over Memorial Day, and may have even ended up doing a photo op with
Jihadist kidnappers while he was there.
If “by their fruit” you will know them, there’s hardly a principle of American
Exceptionalism that McCain hasn’t betrayed in the past eight years. Taxes,
spending, rule of law, illegal immigration, marriage, life, Second Amendment,
foreign policy—you name it and it’s likely that McCain has betrayed it.
McCain has often touted himself as a “maverick” and a man of principle. If indeed
he is a man of principle it’s all the wrong ones. It’s not just that he’s wrong, but
he’s dangerously wrong.
McCain has advocated tax-and-spend policies that would severely cripple
families. McCain has advocated acquiescence on the killing of 4,000 innocent
children per day. McCain has advocated against the rule to the detriment of
American citizens (NDAA) but for illegal aliens (scamnesty). McCain opposed
protecting the natural human family, and thus also opposed protecting religious
liberty that is threatened by redefining marriage. McCain has advocated a foreign
policy that to put it bluntly has accomplished little other than making it easier to
persecute Christians in places like Afghanistan , Iraq, Egypt, and now Syria .
Morton Blackwell of the Leadership Institute has a saying: “personnel is policy.”
Look at who McCain has surrounded himself with. One of his former top advisers
helped cut anti-Second Amendment television ads this year, and his 2008 national
campaign manager is now working with the ACLU to undermine marriage
protection amendments passed by voters in 31 states (basically voter
disenfranchisement).
To sum up, McCain has actively opposed the ideals that make our enemies hate us
for all the right reasons – faith, family, and freedom. And he did so in many cases
while running for president. Most politicians master the art of pandering as they
gear up to advance their ambitions, but not McCain. It’s almost like he has such
disdain for American Exceptionalism he prides himself on opposing it, and panders
to the progressive dolts in our liberal media instead.
Standing for all the wrong things these past few years essentially nullified any
purpose to his persevering through the Hanoi Hilton. Why suffer through torture if
you were just going to oppose the ideals that put you there in the first place? I
suffered through physical and emotional abuse growing up. But there would’ve
been no meaning to persevering through that suffering if I just would’ve turned
around and abused my own children as well.
If you truly want to grasp just what kind of shape our culture is in consider this—
McCain was selected as the standard-bearer for the opposition to Barack Obama in
2008.
I’ll give McCain credit for at least one thing. Once and for all he’s debunked the
myth that a bad Republican is still better than a good Democrat. McCain’s legacy
testifies the battle really isn’t Republican vs. Democrat but Liberty vs. Tyranny,
and it’s really not Right vs. Left but Right vs. Wrong.

Murphy9 on December 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

You went searching for my personal data. You can’t deny it.

Do you deny it?

Go ahead.

There’s a reason people dislike you, it’s well informed.

Now go ahead,, deny you did it.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Only progressives pull that kind of crap.

I call false flag.

It will be fun destroying you. You are definitely on my radar., dude.

wolly4321 on December 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Now go ahead,, deny you did it.

wolly4321 on December 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

If society were to actually collapse as the people you glom onto actually are rooting for, it’s going to collapse on you hardest. Now ask me how I can see that….

V7_Sport on December 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

It will be fun destroying you. You are definitely on my radar., dude.

wolly4321

Your time would be better spent getting a life. “Dude”.

V7_Sport on December 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Gutless, back-stabbing, elitist, Washington Establishment traitor!
Congress targets / cuts military, retiree, vet, and disabled vet money…900,000 vets & 5,000 active duty military members face cuts or total loss of much-needed Food Stamp benefits…

Congress gets an automatic pay increase on 1 Jan, benefits, expense accounts, and made sure we not only have to pay our astronomical Obamacare health care premiums but also have to pay up to 70% of THEIRS!

Ryan insulted the military, adding salt to their wounds, by declaring the military SHOULD BE THANKFUL because Congress could have cut much more from them. I guess Ryan thinks the military, who sacrifices & protects the very Constitution he & other Republicans allow Obama to trample, should thank him, McCain, and others for only betraying & $crewing us ‘a little. Hey Ryan, why not just borrow Pelosi’s words & tell the military to ‘EMBRACE THE $UCK’?!

easyt65 on December 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

No,,, you come up with another peice of data about me,, that I haven’t provided….

Don’t do it again.

wolly4321 on December 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I’ll be anything you need me to be as long as it’s your worst nightmare — free to vote my conscience and when the time comes, act accordingly to protect all that is good about America and lance the festering boil that RINOs perpetrate upon our God given liberties.

AH_C on December 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Obama’s been blasting the GOP who hate the ACA and saying “But what have THEY proposed that’s better?” as if it was obvious that we all wanted nationalized heath care.

I wonder if that’s where McCain came up with this, “you can’t criticize it unless you’ve got something better.” nonsense.

flataffect on December 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM

This man is a weak soul. He is a sad figure of a man.
His cell mates in Vietnam had little good to say about him and I think he has proven to be a coward and a traitor to the party he says he is a member of.
Take off the R and put on a D, McCain!
You just have NO clue, no clue at all.

Delsa on December 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM

AH_C

I’ll be anything you need me to be as long as it’s your worst nightmare —

So no answer, kind of cowardly… like rooting for the distraction of what better men built as you reep the rewards of living in a free society that they gave you.

free to vote my conscience and when the time comes, act accordingly

Give your conscience a check, as it stands now you are advocating voting for democrats to deliberately hasten the demise of the country for the pipe dream of behaving a say in how the rubble is rebuilt. That’s seditious and it’s just different in degree from what McViegh did. Wishing for the worst for the country and working to that end is not something decent people do. It’s not a tactic to get your own way. It’s a stupid bird that craps in it’s own nest.

V7_Sport on December 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Don’t do it again.

wolly4321

So when you introduce yourself with “STFU”… Is that something you do when you are not on the web? I would bet not.

V7_Sport on December 18, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I love this budget – it cuts military retirees and disabled vets benefits while leaving funding for planned parenthood abortions and NPR propaganda intact!

/s

HondaV65 on December 18, 2013 at 1:05 AM

You bet wrong.

I’ll let Ed figure you out.

Nobody is interested in your nonsense.

wolly4321 on December 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Why the obsession over immigrancy? We’re all immigrants in this country. Longevity of American roots is no measure of patriotism nor Americaness.

On the other hand, you’re a lying sack of sh1t. You often accuse me of advocating for voting for the donks. Where exactly have I done such a thing? Take all the time you need but you will never find such a quote. Where have I advocated for sedition? Find one quote where I advocated treason?

Do go on, RINO sockpuppet.

AH_C on December 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

AH_C

Why the obsession over immigrancy?

You don’t seem to think you have any obligation to the people who have sacrificed to build this country to do no harm. You don’t seem to think you have any obligation to anything other than your own little ego.

We’re all immigrants in this country.

I’m not. You really sound like a democrat now. see, you vote for them and you get stupid.

Longevity of American roots is no measure of patriotism nor Americaness.

You obviously have no idea what patriotism is, since you advocate deliberately doing harm to the country.

On the other hand, you’re a lying sack of sh1t.

Umm, no, coward, I have told the truth.

You have come to the defense of people who have advocated voting democrat to further bring about the downfall, as you put it the “desolation”, You have acknowledged that you do this knowing that it will harm the country:

“What I’m advocating may be injurious to our country… “

Man up and own it or refute it but don’t try to pussy around it after 3 threads.

Find one quote where I advocated treason?

I’ll refer people to the “Paul Ryan on the budget deal: Hey, we might fight on the debt ceiling instead” thread, however:

HondaV45 was brutalized for actually voting for Oboobi in order to speed up the desolation. Now some of the same mockers start to see the tough love logic of it. Maybe you’ll come around and maybe you won’t

I won’t come around to voting for democrats, idiot, it doesn’t “send a message” other than you support their policies.

Do go on, RINO sockpuppet.

You should look up sock puppet, its another American idiom that you don’t quite get.
Patriots first and for most want to do no harm to the country, they don’t hold out pipe dreams of collapse so that we will all come running to you set us straight. If it all goes to hell you can bet that what replaces it won’t be as good as what was given to us and what we can still reclaim.

V7_Sport on December 18, 2013 at 3:09 AM

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Assume much?
You know nothing about me other than what I post.

And you know what? I don’t see a whole hell of a lot of difference in public policy with Boehner running the House than what we’d have if Nancy Pelosi were still in charge.

Sure, we have a lot of sturm and drang we wouldn’t otherwise have, but the outcome is about the same.

On the bright side, we wouldn’t have to listen to establishment types and their defenders whine about how they have to roll over on every single issue because they can’t govern from the House.

Since you mentioned Hillary, I honestly won’t care who wins the 2016 election if the GOP nominates one of its preferred candidates – like Chris Christie, Paul Ryan, or Jeb Bush. I could be persuaded to vote for a Rick Perry, a Ted Cruz, or a Rand Paul…but that’s it. Otherwise, I’m in the Libertarian camp.

DRayRaven on December 18, 2013 at 6:19 AM

So disabled veterans get their pensions cut under this bill.I never,ever want to hear McCain talk about how he supports the military.The only thing he ever does to the military is send them into wars where they die or lose arms and legs defending Islamofascist pigs committed to destroying America.This man should have been left in Hanoi to rot in prison.

redware on December 18, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Paul Ryan insulted the military on toip of betraying them by saying the military ought to be THANKFUL because Congress could have cut more. Ryan is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT – ‘More’ could have been cut before going back on America’s promise to the military:

$1 million on a fruit fly sexual attractiveness study
$1.5 million on designing a video game controller
$100,000 on taxpayer funded comedy group tour in India
– Active Duty Military Pay Cut
$1.3 million for old fashioned x-rays of prisoners. x-rays of prisoners
$547,430 on a dancing robot that connects to an iPhone
$25,000 funding a course about “How to be happy”
–Military Retiree / Veteran Pay Cut
$145,000 on a sculpture garden
$25,000 on an Alabama Watermelon Queen tour
$697,177 on a climate change musical
– Food Stamps for 900,000 Retirees/Vets to be reduced / cut
$10,000 on talking urinal cakes
$35 million on an old fashioned trolly car
$320,000 for robot squirrels
$1.4 billion in improper food stamps purchases which included alcohol, condoms, junk food and diapers
– Food Stamps for approx 5,000 active duty members reduced / cut

easyt65 on December 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Say, Sen. McCain, are you at least going to build the dang fence with this budget? If not where is your integrity for what you ran on?

Or was that little bit to just mollify the Rubes?

ajacksonian on December 18, 2013 at 8:02 AM

/s

HondaV65 on December 18, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Senate Republicans were unable to stop military pension cuts when Senate Democrats blocked a vote on an amendment to prevent the cuts by closing a welfare loophole for illegal immigrants Tuesday evening.

But, we’ll get ‘em on the debt ceiling, right guys? Guys?

Fallon on December 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM

This is a stupid argument.

First, there has been no budget for 5 years, yet there was only one shutdown.

So arguing that no budge = shutdown is a complete strawman. Surprise, surprise.

Second, one can criticize something without having an alternative. For instance, I can say Obamacare is horrible and not have an all encompassing health care plan of my own.

I’m so sick of these liberal arguments used by republicans against conservatives.

If this does not prove to most of you that the GOP is anti-conservative, I guess nothing will. You will vote for them despite their constantly growing gov’t and increasing spending and nothing will convince you otherwise. You may as well be voting for the dems, but you don’t care because there is an “r” near someone’s name.

Monkeytoe on December 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM

It’s not like Republicans haven’t tried to pass a budget or anything. You just didn’t like it RINO.

RDE2010 on December 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM

V7_Sport on December 18, 2013 at 3:09 AM

You are an idiot. You are also treasonous because you advocate voting for a party that is increasing spending and bankrupting America. Why do you hate America? Why are you a traitor?

Why do you love big gov’t and huge gob’t debt? Why? Why are you such a liberal that you want to do everything the liberals want, but as long as an “r” is somewhere in the vicinity, it is o.k. with you?

Monkeytoe on December 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM

V7_Sport on December 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Why do you hate America V7_Sport? Why do you hate America so much that you are trying to bankrupt her by voting for more spending and bigger gov’t?

Why do you love socialism?

Monkeytoe on December 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM