NFL Week 15 open thread

posted at 12:31 pm on December 15, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Ed will be back here for the end of the season, but we’ll continue to plod along with the NFL picks until then. This week his Pittsburgh Steelers are matched up with the 9-4 Bengals playing at home. Cincinnati is a two point favorite in this one and the Steel Curtain is out of the playoff race, but their history against the Bengals at Heinz Field will be a lot to overcome. Expect a surprise win from the Steelers, 20-14.

The inevitable, insanity driven Jets cheer leading is going to be a bit tough this week. We’re playing Carolina, who are coming off of a horrible loss to the Saints last week and looking to bounce back and keep their numbers up against an easy opponent. The Panthers have one of the toughest run defenses in the league which will limit Geno Smith’s ability to rely on Chris Ivory to loosen up the secondary with a big ground attack. Leaving Geno to dominate the field on the strength of his arm against the 9-4 Panthers is a pretty much impossible task. So, of course, I’ll take the Jets to win 12 – 6 for no real reason at all.

Last weekend I had an “okay” but not fantastic record of 5 and 2, missing my picks for wins by the Steelers and the Giants. We’d hate to welcome back Ed to the NFL picks on a sour, losing note, so let’s see if we can’t improve on that.

• Bears at Browns (1 pm, Fox) - This one looks like it will be a fun game to watch. Both teams come in with 7-6 records and Cleveland has the home field advantage. But da Bears really need this one to stay alive. Jay Cutler will be back with something to prove, so even though the line has this game as almost even, I’ll take Chicago 34-24.
  • Patriots at Dolphins (1 pm, CBS) - New England has a 10-3 record as opposed to the Dolphins lukewarm 7-6, but the Patriots have not played anywhere near as well as that record would indicate. The Dolphins are notorious spoilers in the AFC East, and I’ll take them in an upset 17-14.
  • Green Bay at Dallas (4:25 pm, Fox) - Matt Flynn is in for Aaron Rogers again, and he’s proven fairly adept. The Cowboys have been looking pretty awful on the line, but Tony Romo has continued to surprise me. This is one that could go either way. Dallas is a six point favorite on Sunday, and while I don’t think they are that strong, I’ll go with the experts and give them a 30-21 win over the Pack.
  • Saints at Rams (4:25 pm, Fox) - This should be a short one. The Saints are a solid one touchdown favorite and a couple of uneven performances have kept their record to 10-3. But one of those losses was to the Jets, proving they can lose when they really try. For my big upset of the week, I’ll take the Rams in a shootout, 34-31.
  • Ravens at Lions (Monday 8:40 pm, ESPN) – The Monday night has another two teams with matching 7-6 records who will be spoiling to pick up two more wins. (Spoiling being the key word.) The Lions have been looking strong of late and with the home field advantage, I’ll take them over the Ravens 21-13.

Comments

What? No mention of the benching of RGIII?

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

“Matt Flynn is in for Aaron Rogers again, and he’s proven fairly adept.”

What? He’s been absolutely horrible, he has no arm and from the moment the ball is snapped he’s in a panic. He just happens to have a receiving corp the can make some plays.

lowandslow on December 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM

…Ha!…Detroit Lions can’t lose…until tomorrow!

What? No mention of the benching of RGIII?

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

…I hope Cousins does well!

KOOLAID2 on December 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

…yes!…they sure spanked Cincinnati and Tampa Bay at home!…

KOOLAID2 on December 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM

When the Steelers pimped for obamacare they sealed their doom. This curse is worse that the Johnny Unitas curse.

crosshugger on December 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Go Chiefs! (And whoever is playing the Broncos.)

davidk on December 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

What? No mention of the benching of RGIII?

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Actually, the Barrycaders can’t be written or talked about without the ravin’ lunitics of the Barry’S Leftist Obedience Wing for Mediocre Entities (BLOWME) sitting around in drum circles chanting “Ray Cist! Ray Cist! Ray Cist!” and then listening to lectures with up and down twinkles group responses. It’s too dangerous. Someone might say something mean.

ExpressoBold on December 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM

GO CHIEFS!

journeyscarab on December 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Jazz, hitting the eggnog a little early don’t you think?

D-fusit on December 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Jazz, hitting the eggnog a little early don’t you think?

D-fusit on December 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

That’s offensive and I don’t have to put up with it.

It’s whiskey.

Jazz Shaw on December 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Go Eagles! They have the best young QB.

celtic warrior on December 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

ExpressoBold on December 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Can’t they talk about Cousins being white?

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Can’t they talk about Cousins being white?

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

White man taking the black man’s job? Wow. That is so incendiary. Adams-Morgan will be in flames soon.

ExpressoBold on December 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM

KOOLAID2 on December 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I do to, if only to showcase his talents for a trade, I believe RGIII to be the future of the Redskins.

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Stillers are still “in the hunt”. We just need Ravens, Dolphins, Jets and Titans to lose. And, of course, we need to beat the Bengals. All doable.

LtGenRob on December 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM

One thing I’ve learned from watching football for many years. The axiom of “any given Sunday” is true.

gerrym51 on December 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Go Chiefs! (And whoever is playing the Broncos.)

davidk on December 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

My Broncos lost to the Charger on Thursday and I don’t have the NFL channel so I didn’t have to suffer through it :)

scalleywag on December 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Bears at Browns (1 pm, Fox) – This one looks like it will be a fun game to watch. Both teams come in with 7-6 records and Cleveland has the home field advantage.

Cleveland is 4-9. I’m rooting for them though! Go browns! Right now, they’re ahead 10-3.

??? If you don’t think they should be a 6 point favorite, why do you expect them to win by 9?

Go Pack! Flynn may not have the greatest arm, but Dallas has the worst defense in the league. Worse, even, than the Packers.

NbyNW on December 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Can’t they talk about Cousins being white?

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

ExpressoBold on December 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Rush has learned (the hard way) not to talk about these subjects.

Rovin on December 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM

BTW, Cousins 13-20, 248 yds, 2 tds has had a great first half.

Rut Row!

Rovin on December 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Go Chiefs! (And whoever is playing the Broncos.)

davidk on December 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

scalleywag on December 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM

“Suffering” is putting it lightly. The NFL Network Thursday night announcers (and I use the term loosely) are horrible. You’re not missing much!

Del Dolemonte on December 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM

ExpressoBold on December 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Adams Morgan is mainly Latino, no? At least it was when I lived down in the DC area.

JetBoy on December 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM

JetBoy on December 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM

When was that? 1982? :)
Seriously, it has become a very ethnically mixed area which represents a lot of food and entertainment choices among the residents.

ExpressoBold on December 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Great call on the Dolphins upset.

I haven’t seen anything official, but I think that eliminates the Steelers since the Dolphins have the 1-on-1 tiebreak.

WannabeAnglican on December 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM

GO SEAHAWKS!

dont taze me bro on December 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Dude the Vikings won.

The next thing you’ll tell me is Obama is resigning.

gophergirl on December 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Why didn’t Washington tie it up instead of going for two point conversion? Come on, Coach!

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM

crosshugger on December 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Heard that. Huge Steelers fan, but we’re talking about the fate of the country. Hope this curse is long, painful, and in the end forces the Rooney’s into ruin and a firesale to someone who stays out of politics, especially the dumb Democrat kind.

msupertas on December 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM

LtGenRob on December 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I think we also need some planets in different galaxies to align….all at the same time….and they have to be lined up large to small. Still doable.

msupertas on December 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Dude the Vikings won.

The next thing you’ll tell me is Obama is resigning.

gophergirl on December 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM

…and they Spanked Philly…who Spanked Detroit…go figure!

KOOLAID2 on December 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Come on, Coach!

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM

He’s not going to spend one second more than he has to on a Redskin’s sideline. He’s done, he knows it.

ExpressoBold on December 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM

When was that? 1982? :)

ExpressoBold on December 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

lol!! No, I was still poopin’ in my Pampers in 1982. It’s always “mixed” ethnically, but I’m just going by what I knew at the time. I do remember rather clearly that it was a hard neighborhood to find street parking in.

JetBoy on December 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Friggin’ Jets ticking me off again.

Why couldn’t I be one of those “queenie” gay dudes that abhors sports…especially football…

JetBoy on December 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM

No Super Bob for the Landover, Maryland Millionaires? Oh, nooes.

I would love it if all the sports media outlets began to refer to Kirk Cousins as “KC1.” Heh.

Galtian on December 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

ExpressoBold on December 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I didn’t realize he was in jeopardy. Still a stupid decision.

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 5:52 PM

What the heck is going on with the Giants?

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM

although the giants did win 2 super bowls in the last 6 years they got into the playoffs both times with 8-8 records benefitting being in a weak division.

without those 2 lucky to get in(but winning the SB both years) they actually have a losing record over these last 6 years.

gerrym51 on December 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

What the heck is going on with the Giants?

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I can’t help but to feel a little schadenfreude about it.

JetBoy on December 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

gerrym51 on December 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Hmmm, interesting history. I guess that’s why I keep hearing for calls to get rid of Coughlin. He is still pretty active here in the Jacksonville area.

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM

JetBoy on December 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Glory in the success of your guy.

Cindy Munford on December 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Dallas you’ve been Romo’d.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Way to go Romo, you and the ‘Boys have an epic choke job!

rbj on December 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM

If someone read these weekly NFL open threads without watching any games, they would believe the Steelers are undefeated instead of a 5-8 third place team.

HellCat on December 15, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Some one, (or a few Cowboys) should go into the locker room and literally kick Dez Bryant’s ass! What a pouting baby. Walk off the field with your team moron.

Rovin on December 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

HellCat on December 15, 2013 at 7:47 PM

WTH are you talking about? I read up the thread …quit drinking.

In Fact, the few Steelers comments don’t support you at all.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM

. Walk off the field with your team moron.

Rovin on December 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I liked his temper tantrum when he got flagged.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Say hellcat: Who is your team? This should be a hoot.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Overheard on Twitter:

“Tony Romo went into the locker room so frustrated he took off his helmet and threw it at the floor. Sadly, that was also intercepted.”

Jazz Shaw on December 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

So glad the Packers won, but my nerves can’t handle these come-from-behind 1 point wins at the last second any longer. Please, Aaron, come back!

NbyNW on December 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Overheard on Twitter:

Jazz Shaw on December 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

LOL!

JetBoy on December 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Uh oh, Cowboys left a large cowpie right in the middle of Jerry’s house.

rukiddingme on December 15, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Huh? Pittsburgh up 21 – 0 over Cincy in one quarter?

ExpressoBold on December 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM

We’re (Stillers) still alive.
/flex

LtGenRob on December 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM

One other note on the Cowboy’s meltdown:

It was a curious and bewildering turn of events for the Cowboys, who despite their 23-point halftime lead, managed to run the ball just eight times in the second half, thereby giving the Packers more time to rally. That despite running back DeMarco Murray gaining 93 yards on just 11 carries in the first half, an 8.5-yard average. In so many ways, it was a case of Dallas on Dallas crime once again.

Yeah, I know, Romo changed the running play that turned into an INT, but crimeny sakes, why not run the ball more with “a comfortable lead”?

Rovin on December 16, 2013 at 6:18 AM