Open thread: Army-Navy, a game of honor

posted at 12:31 pm on December 14, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

It’s that time of year again — time for me to make my annual foray into blogging about sports by blogging about the most epic sports rivalry in the history of a little ol’ place called the U.S. of A. The cadets of West Point and the midshipmen of the Naval Academy have been meeting on the field of battle football field for over a century, aggressively duking it out for both swagger points and the Commander-in-Chief’s trophy but always finishing the game in the knowledge that, upon graduation, they will all ultimately be brothers at arms responsible for the never-ending and solemn task of preserving the United States’ freedom. The tradition, the pageantry, the camaraderie, the enthusiasm, and most of all, the military kinship with which so many Americans scattered around the globe readily identify… This is no ordinary football game, my friends. (Did you just get shivers? ‘Cause I definitely did.)

Today marks the 114th edition of this most glorious and storied of competitions, and Navy has now been dominating the event for eleven years running. Army has gotten close in the past couple years, losing by 17-13 last year and 27-21 in 2011, and you can bet they’ll be looking to finally shake up this rivalry again — while Navy certainly won’t give up the ship without a fight.

You can catch the game, a.k.a. Everything That Is Great About America, starting at 3 PM on CBS. I’ll be on the ground in Philadelphia, engaging in my usual obnoxiously extravagant displays of patriotism and cheering like crazy for my team from the sidelines. As always:

GO NAVY!!! BEAT ARMY!!!

To close, a couple of this year’s spirit-spot samples from what is consistently the most killer hype war on planet earth:

Comments

Go ARMY!!!

ladyingray on December 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM

If Santa’s march with the cadets, that will be the last straw.

Hummer53 on December 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Asked on the Iron Bowl thread and never answered. Maybe someone here can help:

Do hurry-up offenses no longer have to pause for first downs to be marked? Aren’t first downs established as a baseline for penalties, etc. for both teams?

rogerb on December 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM

The three highest paid Department of Defense employees.

Mark1971 on December 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM

GO NAVY!!!!!!

BigWyo on December 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I joined the Army out of high school, so I always throw down with the West Pointers.

Go Army!

BigGator5 on December 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Still working on that post about Chang’e 3 Erika?

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Commander-in-Chief’s trophy

How about ‘No Thanks’…?

BigWyo on December 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Get real, how many people even know what happened?

Congratulations China. Though I am PO’ed over the stunt with the Cowpens.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Speaking of, where is Voyager 1 these days?

rogerb on December 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Though I am PO’ed over the stunt with the Cowpens.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

As it’s been reported in the press so far it does sound like jackassery on the part of the Chinese captain.

But there are still some significant variables missing from the reporting. For example, how close did the Cowpens approach the Liaoning, which it was reportedly spying on, before being forced to turn away?

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Anchors Aweigh, My Boys…

JohnGalt23 on December 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Freedom:

Palin urged her followers on Friday to read a Breitbart News report on the decision, and said that the attacks on veterans’ memorials mean those “who made the ultimate sacrifice to defend our freedoms can’t even be honored with a symbol embodying one of those freedoms.”

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Commander-in-Chief’s trophy

How about ‘No Thanks’…?

BigWyo on December 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I’m no fan of obaka’s but stop being so petty with such a wonderful tradition.

ladyingray on December 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Oh, and, ZOOM, ZOOM.

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Lousy spirit spots. You need either the corny ones or the ones that make every real American verklempt.

My sister has had season tickets to Navy games for several years. I was blessed to go to the 2010 and 2011 games. They’re a great experience. Get a chance to go? GO. I was bumped last year and this year by other relatives.

I salute my nephew, a May 2012 USNA grad and now a second lieutenant in the Marines. I also salute my niece’s new husband, another May 2012 USNA grad and another second lieutenant in the Marines. In each case, we want them on that wall. We NEED them on that wall.

Go Navy. Beat Army.

BuckeyeSam on December 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Go Army
But to be realistic it’s going to end up something like Army 17, Navy 34.

Wallythedog on December 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Full speed ahead, shipmates! Right through the Army line!

NavyMustang on December 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

kcewa on December 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Speaking of, where is Voyager 1 these days?

rogerb on December 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Right Here

Wallythedog on December 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

None of that matters in the incident, or larger picture.

A ship pulled a reckless maneuver in order to put another ship on a collision course. There have been rules for mariners long before there were maritime laws.

The sea doesn’t care about ideology or pride. The sea will kill all equally.

If it had been the other way around, the US captain would have been relieved and sacked. Did the Chinese captain do this on his own? Or under orders?

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

rogerb on December 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM

As soon as the ball is placed the clock starts. No pause in play.

kcewa on December 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Commander-in-Chief’s trophy

How about ‘No Thanks’…?

BigWyo on December 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I’m no fan of obaka’s but stop being so petty with such a wonderful tradition.

ladyingray on December 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Methinks the lady is correct. The office and position still demands respect no matter what kind of despicable low life holds the office.

Like when that nutjob sign language interpreter stood next to the President. Him standing by obama wasn’t the issue. I cannot state what I wish for obama because I might (rightly) get a visit from the secret Service.

But the fact a person as unstable as the interpreter got that close to the President of the United States is unconscionable. Someone needs to answer for that, but given the history of this administration I don’t expect anything to happen.

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

…GO NAVY!…(how long before JugEars people…have them wearing pink gear…for THIS game!)

KOOLAID2 on December 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

and the Commander-in-Chief’s trophy

Don’t forget that the Air Force Academy has held the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy many times in the last 50 years! As a matter of fact, they’ve held it more often than either Army or Navy! The winner of the Army-Navy game doesn’t just get it automatically – they also have to beat Air Force. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it won’t happen this year. :p )

Anyone know the best place to watch this game online? I don’t have tv.

GWB on December 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Speaking of, where is Voyager 1 these days?

rogerb on December 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

China successfully soft-lands probe on the moon

[Via Drudge]

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

True story…no shit.

Back in 2001, I was the CO of a Navy unit in Germany. In fact, the only Naval officer on the base. Just before the Army-Navy game, the Army Colonel base commander mentioned that there was going to be an All Army officers’ call with then Brig General Keith Alexander (yup, THAT Keith Alexander).

Being the maritime warrior that I am, I recognized a tactical opportunity to strike at the “enemy.”

It just so happened that I had laying around the house a sweatshirt that read “Beat Army.”

So…I asked the base commander if I could come to the officer call. He readily agreed (not realizing my devious plan).

I showed up the day of the “strike” and as I walked in to the venue, there was the base commander. To his credit, when he spied my sweatshirt he laughed so hard I thought he was going to get a hernia. He LOVED it.

Then I walked into the room with all the other Army officers, I’d say about a hundred. Chest puffed out, strutting around like the proud Navy goat I was (and am). Harrumphing and saying hello to fellow officers that I knew.

NOT…ONE…WORD. NOT…ONE…REACTION. Total. Silence. No matter what I said or did.

That is, until the general walked in. He, like the base commander, thought it was great. So great, that he insisted on taking a picture with me which he kindly inscribed to me.

Now, 2001 was the last time that the Army won the classic game. So, of course the general generously thanked me for helping the cadets kick some middie butt. Sigh!

Of course, I’ve had my revenge since then as West Point hasn’t one even won Army/Navy game.

I STILL haven’t figured out why those Army guys wouldn’t play along. Sheesh! No sense of humor.

NavyMustang on December 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

No sense of humor.

NavyMustang on December 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Um, you had the answer all along.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Right Here

Wallythedog on December 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Pretty cool.

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 1:13 PM

It has been described as a reckless maneuver, and maybe it was, but very few details of the encounter are available in the never trustworthy press.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Those are a couple of questions we don’t know the answers to.

What’s USN protocol for dealing with a foreign naval vessel approaching a US carrier? How close can they get before escorts take action? What action do they take?

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

When he shrugs off the murder of his personal representative to Libya then it’s open season. He has no standing under international law to hold SA responsible for a lapse in security when he didn’t hold Libya responsible for the death of Ambassador Stevens.

kcewa on December 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Anyone know the best place to watch this game online? I don’t have tv.

GWB on December 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

kcewa on December 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Speaking of, where is Voyager 1 these days?

rogerb on December 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Since it’s launch in 1977 it’s quite a ways out there and slowly dying.

It’ll be even way way further out in 2113, but completely dead.

I wonder what the world will be like then…

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

The technique is called “shouldering”, and it involves a vessel pulling alongside and, much like a sheepdog herding sheep, forcing the other vessel to turn away. That way, even if contact were made, damage is minimal as the relative velocities are not that divergent.

Stopping in front of another vessel is very dangerous. If the guy at the helm isn’t on his toes, the stopped vessel tends to get sliced, diced and, if quite a bit smaller than the other vessel, sunk.

Steve Eggleston on December 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Oh yeah – like Erika and Jazz, Go Navy, Beat Army.

Steve Eggleston on December 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Many of us predicted this would happen:

Judge Cites Same-Sex Marriage in Declaring Polygamy Ban Unconstitutional

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Steve Eggleston on December 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Thanks. Any reliable reports that what the Chinese ship did was different from ‘shouldering’?

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Well known and accepted.

This was beyond provocative, or intimidating. This is the way people die and wars start.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Steve Eggleston on December 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Yeah, this is one version of playing chicken we do not need to be getting into with the Chinese. I can only imagine what it was like on the bridge of the US ship.

And BTW, as to issue of Army or Navy…… Is there really any question here? Go Navy, Beat Army. Things were interesting at the Pentagon yesterday.

Happy Nomad on December 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

kcewa on December 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

SA does hold some responsibility, but my finger is pointing at the Secret Service. No way should someone should get that close to the President without the SS knowing his/her favorite color.

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

All reports so far are that the Chines ship pulled in front of the Cowpens and stopped. If the truth was any different, the Chinese would have had video.

From my understanding, it was an amphib landing ship or transport. Not exactly the type of ship used to screen a carrier.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Well known and accepted.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

With utmost respect cozmo, that’d didn’t answer either question.

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Agree.

kcewa on December 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Reports in the local press are hard to come by, but the few I saw said the Chinese vessel pulled ahead of the US ship in a position close to parallel and the US ship then moved away from the Liaoning as it had previously be requested to do.

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

With utmost respect cozmo, that’d didn’t answer either question.

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM

It was in the article. The Chinese sub was NOT interfered with. And the rules of the sea are known by all sailors who fly the flag of a nation.

If I had been on the Cowpens, I would have been thinking Pueblo.

Historically speaking, it would have been prudent to sink the Chinese ship. And then the entire fleet.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM

If I had been on the Cowpens, I would have been thinking Pueblo.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM

The Chinese sub was 5 miles away from the US carrier according to the article. How close was the Cowpens to the Liaoning? We don’t know. I’d like to know.

Certainly not denying the possibility the commander of the Chinese ship was being a jackass, as I’ve already said.

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Define “reliable”. ChiCom Press Organs?

Steve Eggleston on December 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

50 years ago I was a HS freshman watching Army and Navy play the best football game I have ever watched.Army, a big underdog to Roger Staubach’s Middies, QBed by a former defensive back from Mineola HS, Rollie Stichweh, played Navy all but even for 60 minutes and ran out of time three yards from triumph. So many of those players that day went off to Vietnam and not a few have their names on The Wall. A few years ago HBO did a special on the great Harvard 28-28 “victory: over Yale in 1968. Someone should do a doc on the 1963 Army Navy game played in the shadow of JFK’s assassination and in the foreshadow of Vietnam.

xkaydet65 on December 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Define “reliable”. ChiCom Press Organs?

Steve Eggleston on December 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

At least some diagrams of maneuvers and transcripts of communications.

Perhaps you’ve had direct personal knowledge of something that appeared in press reports. If so you probably know of significant details that got left out or were distorted.

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

NavyMustang on December 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Fantastic!

kcewa on December 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Thanks! I keep forgetting they make this one available. So many network shows aren’t available on the web – even with commercials.

Oh, and I was wrong about the 50 years – it’s only been 40. Mea culpa.

GWB on December 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

American and Chinese Navy Ships Nearly Collide in South China Sea

“Our cruiser was operating in international waters of the South China Sea, not close into the coast and in the general vicinity of the aircraft carrier,” the defense official said.

The Chinese ship accompanying the aircraft carrier began shouldering the American cruiser, and then crossed its bow, he said.

The Chinese vessel cut across the bow of the America ship at a distance of less than 200 yards, the defense official said.

kcewa on December 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

At least some diagrams of maneuvers and transcripts of communications.

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Which we’re not likely going to get out of either side.

The best information we have is that the PLAN vessel either cut in front of or stopped in front of the Cowpens, necessitating an emergency maneuver by the Cowpens to avoid a collision that would, at a minimum, severely damaged the PLAN vessel.

There is a reason why a “shouldering” vessel, while it would put its bow a bit ahead of the “shouldered” vessel, does not actually fully move ahead of it. The bow of a boat makes a surprisingly-effective metal cutter, and if that happens, things would tend to get out of control in a hurry.

Now, can we get back to talking about the game?

Steve Eggleston on December 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Which we’re not likely going to get out of either side.

Exactly.

Now, can we get back to talking about the game?

Steve Eggleston on December 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Ok. GO NAVY!

DarkCurrent on December 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Now, can we get back to talking about the game?

Steve Eggleston on December 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Game?

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever missed watching this game, and intend to be doing so today.

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Webrider ETN5 ’67

Webrider on December 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM

AP didn’t make the list–maybe next year: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/14/who-are-the-worlds-5-most-famous-historical-figures/

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM

For f*ck sake,, nbc pushing john kerry and jfk.

wolly4321 on December 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM

xkaydet65,
CBS has made that documentary. Will air again tomorrow.
Go Army! Beat the hell out of Navy!
ColdWarrior
USMA 1978

Cold Warrior on December 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I live on the Main Line, and just heard and incredible roar. (WTF? Freight trains don’t use commuter rail tracks, and that’s one loud freight.)

It was five very big, dark helicopters flying west in formation.

Awesome.

Wethal on December 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM

MSNBC host Chris Matthews on Friday unleashed on Mark Levin and Glenn Beck in a passionate tirade, comparing the two conservative talk show hosts’ behavior to that of North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un.

“You’ve heard the news from North Korea — how the young head of that country just executed his guardian uncle,” Matthews said. “Well, back here in America, the right wing is acting if not as brutally, certainly as crazily.”

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Somehow Go ‘Navy–Beat Army’ sounds so much better than ‘Go Coast Guard–Beat Airforce’…

GO NAVY

glcinpdx on December 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Go Navy! Beat Army!

~ bk – USMC 1986-1992

BKeyser on December 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM

rogerb on December 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM

As soon as the ball is placed the clock starts. No pause in play.

kcewa on December 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Thanks. I don’t watch any teams that rely on it (Bama mostly), but it’s the direction the game is going so I guess I’d better get used to it.

Reminds me of rock/paper/scissors, frankly.

rogerb on December 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Go Army! Beat the hell out of Navy!
ColdWarrior
USMA 1978

Cold Warrior on December 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Oh you silly man! I bet you’ve been saying that for the last 11 years.

BTW- I love it when football is played with the weather we are seeing with this game. It shows the real strength of the teams.

Happy Nomad on December 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Wife of a USMC vet.
Sister-in-law of a USN vet.
GO NAVY!!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Happy,
What else am I going to say?
And I, too, love watching football played in lousy weather.
So, Army’s fumbled once already and! Navy about to score.
Go Army! Beat the hell out of Navy!
;-)
Thanks,
CW

Cold Warrior on December 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM

No sense of humor.

NavyMustang on December 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Um, you had the answer all along.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Or, now that I think about it, maybe they didn’t know how to read!

NavyMustang on December 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

And Army is holding the line!

I have to sort of lean Army, since they’re the underdogs in the series. But mostly I’m looking for a good game.

GWB on December 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Congratulations China. Though I am PO’ed over the stunt with the Cowpens.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Wait ’til we start teaching the PLAN the fine art of “Shouldering”.

(which our Navy has started practicing again – just in case)

Solaratov on December 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Cut off the life blood of socialism:

As a nation, we recognize the rule of law as a means to preserve order and civility. However, we have a ruling elite class at every level of government which chooses to exploit our respect for the law by passing laws and regulations that are intended to restrain us via higher taxes, crony capitalism, and the erosion of our Constitutional rights. As these laws and regulations multiply, a majority of Americans feel as though there is no recourse, either due to minimal knowledge of the Constitution, due to minimal emphasis in school, a corrupt political system, or equating the thought of talking with an elected official with dropping a comment card into a bottomless suggestion box that had been hung above a trash can.

If our elected and non-elected leaders want us to obey the law – if they claim that the recent laws that have been passed have been for our safety — then maybe we should follow them. Although many of us do, we need the old-time rebels on board with us – the “I’ll speed without wearing a seat belt” rebels. If there is a significant decline in revenue from traffic and other offenses, we would quickly find out if politicians and bureaucrats really care about protecting us from ourselves.

We are well beyond the point where a month of civil obedience is in order. With 2014 only weeks away, perhaps January is a good time to celebrate our ability to “blend in” as a means to start a new counter-counterculture; one that chokes the system by “playing by the rules”.

Read more at http://clashdaily.com/2013/12/new-rebel-new-century-age-civil-obedience/#FUk7tCciKxICLZPp.99

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM

So revolution by staying at home and couch surfing? I can do that!

kcewa on December 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

What else am I going to say?

Cold Warrior on December 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Well, You’ve got me there. :0

And no matter who wins- your team or mine- the fact they are playing in a snowstorm is going to make this year’s game “epic” for years to come at Annapolis and West Point.

Happy Nomad on December 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

GO ARMY!!! BEAT NAVY!!!

:-)

Solaratov on December 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

1 Arrested After Nun Hospitalized Following Assault And Rape

davidk on December 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Does The author know that “Merika” is a pejorative invented by the left to disrespect and make fun of Bush and to disrespect the country in general? My understanding is that saying it is a slur and is akin to thumbing your nose at the flag.

factsonlypls on December 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Does factsonlypls really believe what they said?

DTTS on December 16, 2013 at 2:07 AM