The dream is alive: Huckabee thinking of running in 2016

posted at 12:11 pm on December 13, 2013 by Allahpundit

Paul Bedard’s been hinting at this for the past week but I ignored it because, let’s face it, we went through this with Huckabee four years ago. Lots of early will-he-or-won’t-he teasing followed by a LeBron-ish announcement on his Fox show that he would pass.

The fact that the Times, WaPo, and CBN are all running pieces about it today, though, suggests a semi-official rollout. Would a man who’s less than serious be walking around with memos about his polling in key early primary states? Dude, I think this is happening.

“Let me show you some polling,” Mr. Huckabee said, brandishing a two-page memo about a survey his longtime pollster took earlier this month showing him leading the Republican field in both Iowa and South Carolina. He boasted that such good numbers came at a time when “nobody has even talked about me being named” as a candidate…

“A lot of things I said that I was sneered at about turned out to be prophetic,” he said about the criticism he took from fellow Republicans over his focus on the working class during the 2008 campaign. “A year later I looked like a genius but nobody ever said, ‘Huckabee was right,’” he said…

“If Republicans want to win, they’ve got to go get a portion of the population they’ve missed the last two election cycles, particularly working-class people and minorities who have not thought there was a message for them,” he said, touting his ability with such constituencies. But Mr. Huckabee, a social conservative who has drawn fire from some economic conservatives over the years, also suggested his decision would also be based on whether Republicans continue demanding strict adherence to conservative orthodoxy.

“Does the Republican Party want to win elections or do they want fight each other in a purity war? he asked, calling attention to the many incumbent senators who have drawn primary opponents aligned with the Tea Party.

If there’s one thing the GOP field is lacking, it’s a centrist governor with working-class appeal who performs well with minorities. Anyway, three thoughts. First, Liz Mair might not speak for every libertarian in saying this but I suspect she speaks for most of them:

Not much daylight between those two on policy but, as a matter of style, the former seems to understand better than the latter that a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down. The risk of Huckabee saying something that would derail the news cycle for a week isn’t zero, but it’s smaller than it is for Santorum.

Second, there’s always room for a social-con champion in the race. With Santorum feeling like old news after losing to Romney, the time might be right for a Huckabee comeback. But … if he wanted to run again, why didn’t he run in 2012? The field was weak and Romney was vulnerable in the south. Huck could have elbowed out Santorum to take Iowa — he’s a better retail politician for sure — and then filled the Anybody But Mitt niche that Newt ended up filling to win South Carolina. From there, with Romney on the ropes and the base driven by their antipathy to Mitt to try to convince themselves that nominating Huck might not be a disaster, he could have made things interesting. At the very least, a strong showing would have landed him on the ticket as Romney’s VP. I can understand him concluding that Obama, as an incumbent, was likely unbeatable, but if there’s any non-incumbent in American politics who might run with the same advantages as an incumbent, it’s the Democrats’ likely 2016 nominee. Maybe Huck thought that between Romney’s money advantage and the fact that it would have ended up as a binary choice between them, the odds of winning were simply too low. Better to run against a strong field that’s split many ways, since potentially a social-con candidate could win with, say, 33 percent of the vote.

Third, the big winner from Huckabee running would be Christie, no? At first that makes no sense: In certain key ways, as noted above, they occupy the same niche. But for reasons I’ve never completely understood, lots of grassroots righties — some of them social conservatives — can’t stand Huck and would seemingly vote for nearly anyone else in the interest of stopping him. (That includes, I’d guess, maybe 85 percent of the HA readership.) Huckabee’s no threat to Christie among the donor class; he’s also no threat among GOP centrist voters, who might sympathize with Huck’s economic policies but will opt for Christie because of his relative social moderation. And of course he’s no threat among social cons, who were never going to vote for Christie in the first place. He is a threat to right-wing candidates like Cruz, Paul, and (kinda sorta) Rubio, who need social cons behind them to stop Christie in a one-on-one battle for the nomination. Huckabee, by siphoning away some of those votes, could weaken those guys; and if Huck wins Iowa and South Carolina, all but eliminating the rest of the conservative field, Christie would relish the chance to face him head to head the rest of the way for the nomination. He could paint him as an essentially regional candidate whose social views would be endlessly distorted and demagogued by Democrats in the general election. Even many grassroots righties, I suspect, would start to tilt from an Anybody But Christie posture to an Anybody But Huckabee one. Christie would roll to victory and Huck would land on the shortlist for VP, only to lose to Susana Martinez. His convention speech will be damned solid, though, rest assured.

Here he is, via CBN, telling David Brody that the people he meets really want him in the race this time. Exit question: Are we sure he’s serious, or is this yet another publicity stunt aimed at ginning up interest in a media venture?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Has anyone tried to jiggle him? That usually stops my toilet from running.

Flange on December 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM

WHY?

Momma on December 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM

LOL

Midas on December 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Well this is one SoCon that will NEVER vote for Huckabee. Good luck with that GOP……..

Talon on December 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Dreams of a Presidency, corn dogs, pies, and pardons.

Oil Can on December 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Subtraction by addition.

ElectricPhase on December 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Ginning up interest in a media venture, of course.

youknowit on December 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and keep your day job at Fox.

MJBrutus on December 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Still don’t get the Huck-hate. Same fiscal policy as W and the establishment, same social policy as Palin, same love of rock and/or roll as the libertarians – what’s not to like?

abobo on December 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

What the what?

I guess I missed where ‘Republicans’ are demanding anything but destruction and sidelining of conservatives.

Put down the crack pipe, Mike.

Midas on December 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Huckabee, you can run, but can’t hide win.

Bitter Clinger on December 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Bog, NO!!!!

CrazyGene on December 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

If the senate is so important, why doesn’t people like huck, jindall etal run for senate seats? It seems they would win easily. Why huck thinks we need another fat rino running for pres is beyond me

rik on December 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Where is the money going to come from?

nobar on December 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

It looks like an all amnesty tag team match so far.

celtic warrior on December 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM

If he is the nominee I will leave my vote for POTUS blank

Conservative4Ever on December 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM

No, No, No. Mike is not the choice. I was opposed to him in 2008, and not would be with him in the primaries in 2016, And I consider myself a staunchly conservative Christian

ConservativePartyNow on December 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Socons are really in a crappy position: Santorum or Huckabee? Both have atrocious downsides.

Santorum has a good conservative record, but is one of the most unlikable politicians in America. Even my socon friends (Im no socon) cant help but roll their eyes sometimes.

With Huckabee its the exact opposite: A mensch if there ever was one and a great retail politician, but his record is absolutely horrible. Big-government as far as the eye can see and a despicably soft hand when it comes to crime (pardons, commuting sentences).

Valkyriepundit on December 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, Huckabee is the one person on the planet who could actually get me to vote for Christie.

Jon0815 on December 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM

abobo on December 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

You should have included an explicit sarc tag. I can just picture one or two buck-toothed simpletons nodding in agreement.

ElectricPhase on December 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM

No No A thousand times NOOOOO!!!!

Huck’s time has passed.

simkeith on December 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Allow me to explain Mair’s reasoning for “supporting” Huckabee over Santorum – Huck has no chance whatsoever of coming in second in 2016 and thus being the 2020 nominee. It’s as simple as that.

Steve Eggleston on December 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

He needs to run. He could use the exercise.

portlandon on December 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Valkyriepundit on December 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I think this applies to the GOP in general. The solid conservatives aren’t very likable, and the likable politicians aren’t very conservative.

snoopicus on December 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

The GOP hit rock bottom and then someone threw them a shovel; they continue to dig.

Panther on December 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

“Looks like I pick the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.”

BigGator5 on December 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Jon0815 on December 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Bingo. Huckabee makes Christie look electable.

LaughterJones on December 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

This from the guy who championed Todd Akin.

Jon0815 on December 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

just when i thought that no one could make me stay home on election day, huckabee surfaces.

no. just no.

jlw on December 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

How is this possible? Are all the potential candidates that would make the easiest targets for being completely destroyed by the msm using the same old polarizing, made up issues, i.e abortion, gay marriage, religion etc..etc, running to make it easy for the repubs to lose?? Have they been drugged?..super secret moles working for the dems,..or just that out of touch and delusional??

Make it stop.

Mimzey on December 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM

The only winners if the Huckster runs is FNC viewers as he will be off the air.

meci on December 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM

This from the guy who championed Todd Akin.

Jon0815 on December 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Yep. What’s Huck’s position on the “magic uterus” anyway?

Bitter Clinger on December 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Yup, he ain’t just another Pretty face….

ToddPA on December 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM

No, absolutely NO!

philw1776 on December 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Don’t you have to be a Republican to run in the Republican primary any more?

meci on December 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Well…we can now comfortably say that nothing has changed. The commenters at Hot-Air will once again join in on destroying any chance of having a good GOP candidate in 2016. Just like the last two cycles.
May as well concede the Presidency to Billary.

Al-Ozarka on December 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and keep your day job at Fox.

MJBrutus

Stop being a purist, you freakin’ hypocrite.

xblade on December 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

==========================================================================

Ugh,….Not Again(s)!!

canopfor on December 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I might be a socon, but no to Huckabee or Santorum.

Walker or Paul instead.

22044 on December 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Huckabee has waffled on issues so many times he could put the Waffle House out of business.

TennesseeTuxedo on December 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I love Huck-but i don’t think he can win a general election.

gerrym51 on December 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM

The only winners if the Huckster runs is FNC viewers as he will be off the air.

meci on December 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Hasn’t he already quit the Fox job, in order to make this announcement? I thought I read that a few days ago.

Wino on December 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Huckabee/Graham 2016 FTW

tmitsss on December 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Al-Ozarka on December 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Oh, that’s rich! You’re blaming HA for McCain and Romney not getting elected? Dude, you should check the dosage on your medications.

I wonder which “electable” candidate will be foist upon us by the Rovians this round.

Wino on December 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM

His radio program bombed because he could not compete with Rush.

His political career is over – he can’t compete with Ted Cruz….

Actually I cannot think of anyone who will be able to compete with Cruz.

redguy on December 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Sure he has a chance. I am winning the lottery tomorrow, Obama will resign and Kate Upton is coming over tonight with a handful of grapes.
Hey, it COULD happen!

faol on December 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Lots of laughs at cschande.

Why vote for Huck when you got Hill?

Schadenfreude on December 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

abobo on December 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

For me, it’s door number one with a heavy dose of nannyism.

Steve Eggleston on December 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM

He’s the next Trump “Will I, won’t I”, so long as the media report and his bank account get fatter.

Schadenfreude on December 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Whyyyyyy???

aryeung on December 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Don’t you have to be a Republican to run in the Republican primary any more?

meci on December 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Didn’t stop McCain in 2008.

Steve Eggleston on December 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The likelihood of a GOP candidate emerging from the primaries I would actually support in the general is closing in on zero.

Huckabee? No
Christie? A huge effing no.
Santorum? Sweater vest with a room temp IQ? No.
Jeb Bush? Are you kidding?
Walker? Maybe, but probably not.
Jindal? ZZZZZ
Perry? My guy – but he’s a long shot
Cruz? I’d vote for him, but…he’s a long shot
Rand Paul? Yeah, I’d vote for him

Damn, the GOP sucks.
I think I’ll vote Libertarian.
I know damn well I will next year.

DRayRaven on December 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Wino on December 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Even Rove wouldn’t foist Huckabee on us.

But in answer to your last query, it’s either Jeb or the Fat Man.

Bitter Clinger on December 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Christy/Huckabee 2016!!

HumpBot Salvation on December 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM

If Republicans want to win

And that, my friends, is why Republicans will never win. How many elections do the establishment put up a pathetic loser and tell us that he is the ONLY one that can win. Yeah, how’d that work out for ya? I guess their mommies never told them about principles and the bedrock of our democracy: freedom and liberty.

All I know is the more I hear Republicans speak about winning, the more inclined I am to stay home. They have proven they are no better than democrats.

el hombre on December 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM

No. Just No.

tommy71 on December 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Actually I cannot think of anyone who will be able to compete with Cruz.

redguy on December 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

No one will try to “compete” with Cruz. They’ll just try to destroy him with lies and distortions.

Bitter Clinger on December 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Has Huck freed any cop killers lately?

Mr. Arrogant on December 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I’m firmly behind Huntsman at this point…

..the Smirk that permanently marrs the man’s face sealed
the deal for me….

ToddPA on December 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Wino on December 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I guess you don’t read very well, Wino. Did you happen to notice the “join in” part of my comment. It is my experience that when a person says something about another being off meds, that person is a fracking idiot and deserves to just be ignored.

Have fun with your unelectable nominees, folks. I’m sure Michelle Malkin will be there to help you on your way to nominating a candidate conservatives don’t support.

Al-Ozarka on December 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM

@iowahawkblog I’ll have the jumbo cyanide martini, please

with a hemlock chaser…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I’ll believe it after he loses 300 lbs and stops making appearances in the Macy’s Day Parade annually.

De Oppresso Liber on December 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Actually I cannot think of anyone who will be able to compete with Cruz.

redguy on December 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

yep, don’t think Huck peels anything from Cruz or Paul. He’d beat Christie in the south though.

DanMan on December 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

We don’t need/want any re-runs.

O/T Snow hit Egypt, first in 100 years; Jerusalem too.

CAIRO — Snow coated domes and minarets Friday as a record Mideast storm compounded the suffering of Syrian refugees, sent the Israeli army scrambling to dig out stranded motorists and gave Egyptians a rare glimpse of snow in their capital.

bluefox on December 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM

He’s a very talented politician, but NO. With the 2016 field looking very strong, he probably wouldn’t get very far.

With that said, I would very much enjoy a debate between Cruz, Rubio, Rand, Christie, and Huck. All are very skilled debaters, and good politicians. It would be quite entertaining.

GOPRanknFile on December 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

There are only TWO individuals who possess the
qualities, and policy positions, that I would gladly
support for President. One has been mentioned here,

CRUZ. The other is a certain woman….now you all may
commence firing….

IMO, either one of these two would demolish the other
Primary candidates….but let’s nominate someone
who’s “electable” shall we?

Huckabee seems like a nice guy….but he’s far from
Presidential material….I’ll leave it at that.

ToddPA on December 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM

No Schmuckabee. No.

trigon on December 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I was watching a news report this morning noting he was thinking of getting in because he could win Iowa and noting last time he won Iowa then imploded.

He is an excellent speaker\interview I’ll give him that. He and Newt communicate very well on camera and I wish they were permanent coaches for some of the others.

Marcus on December 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Would I vote for Huckabee over Hillary?
Absolutely.

And he’d win.

ITguy on December 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Puhleeze

cmsinaz on December 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Are we still going to have the Hot Gas GOP primary polls like Patrick Ishmael did in 2012? Ishmael hasn’t been around since the Green Room changed. Would be nice to start those polls again.

Mark1971 on December 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Never, no how, no way, nooooooooope.

Nineball on December 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Would I vote for Huckabee over Hillary?
Absolutely.

And he’d win.

ITguy on December 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

You know what? You very well may be right. Out of Christie, Rubio, Rand, Cruz, and Huck, Huck would be the last person I would support in the primary, BUT he would probably do better than most of them against Hillary. He’s probably the most underrated politician on the Republican side.

GOPRanknFile on December 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Has anyone tried to jiggle him? That usually stops my toilet from running.

Flange on December 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I laaaaaaaughed and laughed.

SailorMark on December 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM

FYI, here’s an archived version of the “Issues” page from Huckabee’s Presidential campaign web site.

ITguy on December 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and keep your day job at Fox.

MJBrutus
Stop being a purist, you freakin’ hypocrite.

xblade on December 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Dang…that’s gonna leave a mark. LOL!

kingsjester on December 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Hasbeen Governors (Huck & Jeb)…WINNING!

*blech*

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Lather, rinse, repeat. Yawn. Can we please not have the same old candidates reappear for the next run? That would include the Clintons. NEW candidates this time. What’s changed that makes Huckabee more qualified to run this time? More air time under his belt?

scalleywag on December 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Noooooooooope!

If he does win the nomination I’ll spend the next four years sleeping at the bottom of a barrel or bourbon. Please someone wake me up for the 2020 campaign, assuming America still exists after four years of Hillary or Elizabeth Warren.

alchemist19 on December 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Even Rove wouldn’t foist Huckabee on us.

But in answer to your last query, it’s either Jeb or the Fat Man.

Bitter Clinger on December 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Which fat man?

All of em’ are a bit portly.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Out of all of the Presidential candidates from both parties in 2008 and 2012,
Huckabee was the ONLY Presidential candidate who pledged to Build the Fence.

ITguy on December 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Has Huck freed any cop killers lately?

Mr. Arrogant on December 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Comments like this one show up like clockwork in any Huckabee post.
You’re blaming the wrong Arkansas Governor.

From the Seattle Weekly News…

The Maurice Clemmons Case:
We Blamed the Wrong Arkansas Governor

By Caleb Hannan, Thu., Oct. 21 2010

After Maurice Clemmons shot and killed four Lakewood police officers last November, the world went looking for someone to blame other than the gunman. It found Mike Huckabee, who made for a convenient target. But it turns out that the world, in all its infinite wisdom, had scapegoated the wrong Arkansas governor.

Thanks to the Seattle Times latest entry in the remarkable series on what led up to the shootings, we now know that if any elected official in Arkansas deserves some blame for Clemmons massacre it’s not Mike Huckabee, whose only crime was to reduce the sentence of a teenager forced to serve 100 years for non-violent crimes, it’s current Governor Mike Beebe…

What Huckabee did as Governor was the right thing to do.
After Huckabee left office, what others did was wrong.
Don’t falsely pin their wrongdoing on Huckabee.

ITguy on December 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Social conservatives need to get a life like Jesus. While Jesus gives us commands, he never forces himself upon us. Only love will win in the end. What good is it having a social conservative in the WH if the economy is in tatters, Illegals are given a pass, and your taxes increase?

el hombre on December 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM

“I’m mindful of the fact that there’s a real opportunity for me.”

a real opportunity to do what exactly, up your speaker fees?
split a enough conservatives away from actual conservative candidates
so that Jeb can win? is that what this is about?
go away …. I have voted libertarian before and I will again.
I am a conservative Indy, I am NOT a republican. there is a difference.

conservative tarheel on December 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM

nyet

Murphy9 on December 13, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Huck-a-phony. Herman Cain in white face.

exdeadhead on December 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Huckabee? No
Christie? A huge effing no.
Santorum? Sweater vest with a room temp IQ? No.
Jeb Bush? Are you kidding?
Walker? Maybe, but probably not.
Jindal? ZZZZZ
Perry? My guy – but he’s a long shot
Cruz? I’d vote for him, but…he’s a long shot
Rand Paul? Yeah, I’d vote for him

Damn, the GOP sucks.
I think I’ll vote Libertarian.
I know damn well I will next year.

DRayRaven on December 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

next year where do you live? no decent or even semi decent
candidates for house or senate, maybe Gov. ?
I respect your ability to go for the libertrian, but really, you might want
to take another look.

conservative tarheel on December 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Mike, was the fried butter at the IA state fair really that good…?

JohnGalt23 on December 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Huck is out of luck. I would never vote for him because he gives criminals a pass and also can’t wait to vote for amnesty for illegal invaders. Give it up Huck, you suck!!

Dollayo on December 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Would I vote for Huckabee over Hillary?
Absolutely.

And he’d win.

ITguy on December 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Im not so sure. Hillary would probably Willy-Horton him. You cant let Huckabee near a prison, because he might get the idea of releasing all the inmates.

Valkyriepundit on December 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

DRayRaven on December 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

It would not surprise if Susana Martinez decides to compete, biding her time, safely under the radar, as if receiving advice from Sarah Palin.

exdeadhead on December 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

We have an electorate(51%) that voted twice for our current clown- in -chief. Nothing is rational anymore.

celtic warrior on December 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Huckabee and Christie will sumo wrestle for the nomination.

dforston on December 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM

He’s got the fiscal statism that the GOP loves, but he’s a man of faith too, so he must be destroyed. (I don’t like him as a pol either, but for policy reasons – they just don’t like him because they’re bigots.)

besser tot als rot on December 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Dollayo on December 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

So, in addition to being a fiscal statist, he also is an amnesty supporter. How does he not fit nicely into the GOP fold? Does the GOP really hate So-Cons that much?

besser tot als rot on December 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM

If ’16 is anything like ’12 the K-Street GOP are going to encourage a social conservative (a progressive in Huckabee’s case) to run who will not appeal to other factions of the tea party. There will also be a (so-called) fiscal conservative that will be unacceptable to social conservatives and other factions of the tea party, and still other candidates that will appeal to one segment of the tea party but turn off the rest in order to divide and concur. And all of them will be RINO’s just in case they win, (K-Street always wins), but all of these imperfect candidates are only to split conservatives to make way for the RINO king that K-Street will be pushing, whether it be Bush, Christie, Ryan or whoever. That’s the only way K-Street can win.

If the tea party are aware of this tactic and can get behind a single, genuine candidate that appeals to all the tea party factions, who isn’t also a K-street plant, we an win no matter how many billions K-street spends.

FloatingRock on December 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM

A ploy to boost ratings.

Philly on December 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM

“for reasons I’ve never completely understood”

The Huck hate is real. Your statement says more about your lack of understanding.

Huck’s 100% on pro-life and close to that on defending Christianity. But other than those areas, he is hardly even conservative at all if you go by his long record.

He’s a tax and spender who raised over 100 taxes in his time in office. He also pardoned over 100 violent criminals, at least a dozen of whom committed more violent crimes after their release.

And judging from his 2008 campaign, he’s a nasty little religious bigot, too.

He has no chance, but you may be right that the few votes he siphons out of the pool wouldn’t have gone to Christie by any stretch of imagination, so his running would help Christie, if only marginally.

Adjoran on December 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Third look at Ron Paul on the Libertarian ticket. Voted for him in 1988, will vote that way if it’s the Huckster.

rbj on December 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM