Teen who killed four people in drunk-driving accident gets probation due to … “affluenza”

posted at 4:21 pm on December 13, 2013 by Allahpundit

I saw something about “affluenza” on Twitter yesterday and ignored it, assuming it was a portmanteau coined by Salon or Slate for an article about income inequality that the left had collectively decided was clever. Today I googled it and realized why people are talking about it. Friendly advice: If you’re planning on drinking tonight, go ahead and start before you watch the clips. Trust me.

Simple solution here: If the kid can’t function in society because mommy and daddy spoiled him to the point of degeneracy, make them serve his time. At a bare minimum, charge them with child abuse. That’s what the “affluenza” defense is, after all — it’s a plea for mercy in the sentencing stage on the theory that the havoc wreaked by the defendant would never have happened if he hadn’t been victimized as a child himself. Whether the abuse occurred through acts of commission or omission should make no difference. If mom and dad instilled a “no limits” mindset in li’l Ethan so deeply that he can’t be held fully blameworthy for getting drunk and killing four people, then we have a case here involving a grievous injury done to a child. Someone must pay.

If there’s any justice in this world — and there isn’t, as you’re about to see — the victims will bankrupt them with wrongful death suits. The ask right now is $20 million. Beyond that, the lesson for parents (wealthy parents, at least — the poor are screwed here, as usual) is to work hard at turning your child into the most privileged, entitled A-hole possible. If you fail and he somehow turns out to be a decent person and then ends up running someone over, well, then he might have to do time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Apparently he’s well on his way to be president nowadays.

rbj on December 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM

You peasants just wouldn’t understand.

John the Libertarian on December 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM

The best justice system money can buy…

Wino on December 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM

The judge should be impeached, fired, voted out or just plain gotten rid of and the pychologist who came up with the affluenza defense should have their license revoked. Guess Daddy has money, 450K a year for a rehab facility? Sounds like they are sending away junior for good…

major dad on December 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM

This was always the logical conclusion when we started saying that certain races, privilege groups weren’t responsible for their situation because of racism etc.

Why isn’t this just as valid of a defense?

melle1228 on December 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM

So this decision will really teach him otherwise, won’t it?

“Well the problem is that you’ve had crappy parenting all your life and haven’t been taught about responsibility. So for some reason only known to liberal judges, we’re also not going to hold you responsible.”

Free Indeed on December 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Why isn’t this just as valid of a defense?

melle1228 on December 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Someone should pay for this crime. But we’ve created a society where some people are more equal than others as a matter of law and policy.

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM

And they aren’t even Kennedy’s.

Maybe this is an expansion of justice inequality. Usually to get the best the “legal system” has to offer you have to be rich and well connected and now maybe you just need to be rich.

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM

As the former corrupt Dem congressman Ozzie Myers said,”money talks and bullshit walks”.

celtic warrior on December 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM

It’s so cute that you think he got off because of his upbringing instead of because of a nice hefty bribe to the judge.

Adjoran on December 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM

He is well on his way to being a congressman and then senator. If his last name was Kennedy he would have it made.

simkeith on December 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I can’t help it. I’m genetically predisposed to be a/an ___________ .

I have no control over my life. I evolved this way.

davidk on December 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Get a rope.

Nessuno on December 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I never would have thought that Dallas would be so soft.

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM

==================

(Snark)

Affluenza Survivor Thanks Rush
November 26, 2007

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT
****************

RUSH: Joe in Smyrna, Tennessee. Welcome to the EIB Network, sir. Hello.

CALLER: Hi, Rush. It’s an honor to speak to you today.

CALLER: I owe you a huge debt of gratitude. My wife and I for many years have suffered from affluenza and it was just a terrible burden, but about six months ago we started tuning into your show and listening, and we recognized the signs and recently we’ve come to be cured of this disease, thanks to you.

RUSH: Well, that makes me happy. I can’t tell you how happy that makes me. You had affluenza?

CALLER: Yes, we did. We found ourselves hiding our assets from our friends, and telling people we didn’t have money, and things like that, and it just wasn’t true.

RUSH: Right, because you were obsessed with guilt.

CALLER: Exactly.

RUSH: Because you felt it was unfair you should have so much while poor, and women, and minorities had so little.

CALLER: Just like the spot says.

RUSH: You learned not to feel guilty, because you earned it.

CALLER: Exactly — and I still do. I’m on my way right now to go earn it some more.

RUSH: Really? Man, I hope you pull it off, and I hope you continue to earn it, and I hope you keep earning it because you’re going to need to earn more and more, if Hillary wins with taxes and so forth.

CALLER: Thank you very much, Rush.

RUSH: You’re more than welcome.

END TRANSCRIPT
==============

RUSH: Thank you very much.

canopfor on December 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I can’t help it. I’m genetically predisposed to be a/an ___________ .

I have no control over my life. I evolved this way.

davidk on December 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM

You are just ‘dancing to your DNA.’

Murphy9 on December 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM

We have a case somewhat along the same lines that will be unfolding over the next few months here in New Hampshire. Last weekend, a former exec at a Fortune 500 company collided head-on with a car traveling in the opposite lanes on Interstate 89 (this is the highway connecting the NH Capitol with the Dartmouth College region). The young couple in the car were killed, along with the woman’s 8 month old fetus.

This dude claims that he intentionally drove across the median strip into the couple’s car, because…he wanted to kill himself.

Will his money also get him off?

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM

A crafty DA, like Jack McCoy, would pursue charges of child neglect/abuse against the parents.

BobMbx on December 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I heard about this yesterday…

..must say this verdict bothers me…quite a bit actually.

..I did a hell of a lot os stupid Sh*t when I was growing up.

..and if I had ended up being responsible for 4 deaths,

there would not have been a trial in a Cout of Law.

my Dad would’ve administered Justice (with his bare hands)

And no, I would not have Lived to tell about it….

ToddPA on December 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Good Gawd,…what a Moronic Defence,…nuts!!

canopfor on December 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Voluntary intoxication has never been a valid defense to any crime. But, now, apparently, irresponsible intoxication is a Don’t Go to Jail card. This should play well when extended to Assault, Rape, Burglary and Murder cases.

This must be a new category of offense, just past Negligent Homicide. It’s called “So Negligent That It Doesn’t Count” Homicide.

What the (clueless) judge doesn’t understand is that he/she just did what the parents were accused of doing, pampering precious. Wait until he does something else and he rolls out the Affluenza and Judicial Pampering defense.

IndieDogg on December 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Munnigruber Legalitis: a disease common to lawyers who defend spoiled little rich brats who drive around drunk killing innocent victims.

fogw on December 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM

This punk better be grateful that Dexter Morgan is a fictional character.

Doughboy on December 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Maybe if this victim, had ObamaCare before hand,
this wouldn’t of happened!!
(Yes,..I’m kidding)

canopfor on December 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Does NH have the death penalty?
This dude should be hung from a gallows erected in the Court-House Square, at Noon, televised (mandatory viewing in all NH prisons and jails).

Another Drew on December 13, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Cout=Court

(yeah, I know, there are other spelling errors)

ToddPA on December 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM

So incredibly wrong. I hope the families of the victims bankrupt his parents. It’s not much, but at least it’s some kind of punishment, if the entire family loses its wealth and privilege.

mbs on December 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I’m surprised by all this class warfare.
Allah, are you incapable of sympathy for the children of the wealthy job creators?
And this cheering for a lawsuit to bankrupt the parents…what happened to tort reform?
This poor kid…suffering through years of scorn by polophobics and blingism.
He just needs a hug. A $450,000 hug.

verbaluce on December 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Couldn’t agree more, AP. Heard this in the ‘local’ news here (Dallas) few days back. The judge’s behavior/decision is astonishing.

They’re sentencing the kid to therapy because his parents instilled this sense of ‘no consequences because we’re wealthy’ on him – and the judge, utterly absent any sense of self-awareness, gives him a ‘no consequences’ sentence that any other person wouldn’t receive – quite effectively (if unintentionally) reinforcing the attitude of the parents.

Midas on December 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM

This case has had DFW all wee wee’d up this week. It is an absolute travesty that this kid got off with probation and a staycay at a posh rehab facility.

That said, the judge really just shaved off less than 2 years in juvie for this brat. He was never going to get a hefty sentence. He would have served less than 2 years in the juvenile system and would then be paroled when he turns 18. Probation would follow. Sure, that’s more justice than what he got, and it might have had some lifelong impact on him. But, the emphasis on rehabilitating young people would have kept him from doing a long, hard stint in prison. That focus probably needs to be re-evaluated in cases like this one.

Speaking of the judge, she is a Republican who previously announced she is not running for reelection.

Yes. The defense was absurd. The verdict was absurd. The whole thing makes us want to wretch.

stvnscott on December 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I’m surprised by all this class warfare.
This poor kid…suffering through years of scorn by polophobics and blingism.
He just needs a hug. A $450,000 hug.

verbaluce on December 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Nice try. But no points for you.

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I just have to believe that Cosmic Karma is gonna come looking for that weasly little punk one of these days.

NavyMustang on December 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

“This kid was taught that he could do whatever he wants with minimal consequence. The only way to set a kid like that strait is to make the consequences of his theft, underage drinking, drunk driving and killing of 4 people as minimal as possible.”

The logic is flawless.

JackAsterson on December 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

verbaluce on December 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Hey that’s funny. Especially considering it’s basically a liberal disease.

WryTrvllr on December 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

mbs on December 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Civil suits were made for a case like this.

NavyMustang on December 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Midas on December 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM

So what’s the local reaction like?

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I find the whole thing odd because Texas is usually pretty tough on drunk drivers, no matter what the defense is. I guess the family’s only recourse is to file lawsuits. If it turns out the parents supplied any of the alcohol that would be grounds for them being held liable. What a travesty.

scalleywag on December 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Aside from verbie being an idiot, there is more to this.

If given the max, he would have gotten out when he reached 18. The kid is a spoiled punk scumbag, I knew a few like that when growing up. The punishment sucks, but would have regardless. Texas, especially rural-ish Texas (it wasn’t Dallas as one reader suggested) goes easy on DWI.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Not only did he kill 4 innocent bystanders, but he critically injured one of his friends and paralyzed from the neck down another. Words can’t begin to express my disgust at every aspect of this story…

jwehman on December 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM

My first reaction to this was the same as yours: a argument that he can’t be held responsible because of his parents is an argument that the parents should serve the time.

Prefer my second reaction: then I guess it’s time for him to learn limits. Thank you, Mister Defense Attorney, for making the argument that he should suffer the penalty.

If only the judge had said the same.

Sockpuppet Politic on December 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM

NavyMustang on December 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

That’s what I am counting on.

NavyMustang on December 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

The company is pretty well known in local architectural circles.

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Being in liberal Dallas, it runs the gamut.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM

an argument

Sockpuppet Politic on December 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I would have sent parents and kid to work on a mission digging wells cooking ….
until their fingers bleed.

MontanaMmmm on December 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Midas on December 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM

So what’s the local reaction like?

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Can’t speak universally, of course, but from my observation, a combination of shock, disbelief, disgust and outrage.

Midas on December 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Aside from verbie being an idiot, there is more to this.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I thought it was a case of “omitted /sarc tag.” If V-luce was serious, how does he keep his head from imploding?

Wino on December 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I can just see a rich-kid serial killer coming up with a defense like this.

And getting probation too.

Bitter Clinger on December 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Apparently nobody involved was black. Otherwise, we would seen every second of the case on live TV.

BobMbx on December 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM

…if it had been my family members…I would be in jail now holding my hand over my butthole… trying not to be bubba’s b!tch…because there would be no probation for sonnyboy or daddy!

KOOLAID2 on December 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Kid and parents, in the stocks, in the town square, cat-o-nine-tails made available for the good people of the town to use at their will.

The injustice will be taken care of.

alchemist19 on December 13, 2013 at 5:03 PM

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM

If I recall, that’s also what happened to that kid who bludgeoned a mom and her kids with a baseball bat in RI around the time that movie “The Untouchables” was released.

WryTrvllr on December 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

So very tired of people misrepresenting this story, the kid pleaded guilty and the ‘affluenza’ comment was in response to a question from the judge, the kids attorney didn’t base it as his defense, there was no defense, the kid pleaded guilty. People are taking that one word and using it as an excuse to vomit out all their hatred of rich, white people.

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

What’s wrong with a little vigilante justice taking over for the failing justice system?

bbinfl on December 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

All that money and the kid still looks like he gets his hair cut with a FlowBee.

But yeah, future demorat voter.

Bishop on December 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Has this kid never seen a television? Is he aware that he cannot go into a retail store and purchase alcohol? Hillary’s village had to get through to this kid in some way.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I think it’s the “probation” part. just a thought.

WryTrvllr on December 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

So how did he end up only getting probation?

Bitter Clinger on December 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Sounds to me like Hillary’s village failed.

Big time.

Bitter Clinger on December 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Bishop on December 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Nerd makeover for the trial.

A good job was done scrubbing pre-arrest photos of the little darling from the internet.

The website for Cleburne sheet metal went off-line this week.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Hillary’s village had to get through to this kid in some way.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Hillary’s on par with this kid. She brushed off the assassination of a U.S. Ambassador and got away with it unscathed.

So maybe he did learn something from her.

fogw on December 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

There was a sentencing hearing, wherein the defense made arguments and called witnesses in doing their best to keep him out of jail. They succeeded.

stvnscott on December 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM

He needs to be in a prison cell with a 6’5″, 250+ lb cellmate–for at least two decades.

BuckeyeSam on December 13, 2013 at 5:18 PM

So how did he end up only getting probation?

Bitter Clinger on December 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Because that’s what most juveniles get. People got upset because this same judge sentenced a 14 year old black kid to prison who had hit someone and the person who was hit ended up dying from it, but the only reason he got sent to prison instead of probation/rehab like this kid is because no rehab center would take him and that’s according to the victims mother. So yeah, if a deliberate attack draws probation, accidental deaths are going to draw probation.

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM

stvnscott on December 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM

They sure did and they would have been negligent had they not done so, that doesn’t change the fact that the ‘affluenza’ comment was in response to a question from the judge, not a defence.

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Nerd makeover for the trial.

If you find the pre-arrest ones you know why.

The website for Cleburne sheet metal went off-line this week.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Yep. They’ll probably declare bankruptcy and sell off their assets soon enough. Who knows where when and how they’re going to reopen under a new name.

alchemist19 on December 13, 2013 at 5:21 PM

They bought the judge.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Probably not.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

How did this 16-year-old kid get drunk in the first place? He’s too young to go away to college, so his parents were negligent in allowing him access to alcoholic beverages! If they actually served him the booze, they should never have given him the car keys. If this kid (or his lawyer) are claiming that he’s too spoiled to know that it’s illegal to drink and drive (and at his age, it’s illegal to drink, period), then the parents should face the consequences of his actions. Four counts of negligent homicide!

There was a report on Sean Hannity’s show last night that this same kid was previously found in a car with a partially-undressed girl who had passed out drunk. That should have been enough warning for his parents to take his car keys away, which would have saved four people’s lives…

Steve Z on December 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM

That reprobate kid was caught in his car drunk…passed out with another drunk naked passed out 14 year old girl.

The parents bought the judge.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Probably not.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I think they did.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM

You are usually smarter than this.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I think they did.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM

It’s actually preferable to think the judge was bought as opposed to someone so inept sitting on the bench. Corruption makes sense, this little turd not spending the next few decades in prison does not.

alchemist19 on December 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM

So, he shouldn’t be held accountable because his parents never held him accountable and so now the law can’t hold him accountable, because that might teach him to be responsible and we couldn’t have that.

talkingpoints on December 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM

If only he’d chewed a pop tart in the shape of a gun. Then he’d be in trouble.

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Once again, the troll goes to bat for a complete reprobate. I’m seeing a pattern here.

CurtZHP on December 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Where’s the Texas Justice?

Was this in Austin?

portlandon on December 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Where’s the Texas Justice?

Was this in Austin?

portlandon on December 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Dallas

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM

You are usually smarter than this.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM

4 people died.

The case pisses me off to no end…Maybe my judgment is skewed by the fact that I’m pissed off about it but the judge is wrong.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Of course he entered a guilty plea. What else was he supposed to do, claim it was his twin?

We’re talking about the sentencing phase of the hearing, not the guilt phase. They are not the same. The Affluenza issue came up in connection with sentencing, in mitigation. There was no guilt phase of this trial.

The sentence is the topic of this thread and the comments are entirely valid.

IndieDogg on December 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM

verbaluce on December 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

This story sort of kills some of your pet memes, right?

Because the GOP only cares about rich people…except that every single commenter is horrified by this story.

Good Solid B-Plus on December 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

It ain’t my grandpappy’s Texas, I tell you what. http://www.texasbob.com/travel/images/tbt_jrbean2.jpg

Sheeeeit.

Seth Halpern on December 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Dallas

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Wrong

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I’m Po’ed too. But c’mon, Texas has been lenient on drunk driving for longer than I can remember.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Seth Halpern on December 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Dude, the honorable judge would be drunker than this kid while on the bench.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM

The sentence is the topic of this thread and the comments are entirely valid.

IndieDogg on December 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM

And where did i say they weren’t? I was responding to this –

That’s what the “affluenza” defense is,

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM

accidental deaths are going to draw probation.

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Screw accidental,

Vehicular HOMICIDE.

Did he accidentally get drunk and accidentally get behind the wheel.

MontanaMmmm on December 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Well, based on the teens I see around here, many parents are heeding that advice- but I live in the DC area where yet another “study” points out just how many affluent counties are located here.

That being said, and not repeating its name three times to make it appear, but I’m a little surprised that our resident troll didn’t pop up to say that there is no difference between affluenza and a time when white teens were treated much differently than black teens who did the same thing.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

MontanaMmmm on December 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM

That is strange coming from you. Montana has no vehicular homicide statute.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Screw accidental,

Vehicular HOMICIDE.

Did he accidentally get drunk and accidentally get behind the wheel.

MontanaMmmm on December 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM

hom·i·cide
ˈhäməˌsīd,ˈhōmə-/
noun
noun: homicide; plural noun: homicides

the deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another; murder.

Are you saying he deliberately killed those people? If so feel free to tell us how you know this.

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM

This kid, his parents, the judge and the entire defense team should be drawn and quartered.

KMC1 on December 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Dallas

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Wrong

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Ok, then where did it happen?

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

That is strange coming from you. Montana has no vehicular homicide statute.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I’m responsible for that how?

MontanaMmmm on December 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Where’s the Texas Justice?

Was this in Austin?

portlandon on December 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Dallas

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Tarrant County…not Dallas County.

The liberals are petitioning Gov. Perry to remove her from the bench. Under current Texas law, the governor can remove a sitting judge from the bench with approval of two-thirds of Texas House and Senate members.

“Jean Boyd of Fort Worth serves as the 323rd Family District Court judge. She is chair of the Juvenile Justice Committee of the Judicial Section of the State Bar of Texas and has previously served as Chair of the Juvenile Law Section of the State Bar of Texas.

Jean Boyd of Fort Worth serves as the 323rd Family District Court judge. She is chair of the Juvenile Justice Committee of the Judicial Section of the State Bar of Texas and has previously served as Chair of the Juvenile Law Section of the State Bar of Texas.”

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Thanks

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM

A family member was attacked by a drugged up/drunk teen. The courts decided that he wasn’t old enough to be held personally responsible for his actions (he got a light slap on the wrist and probation) and a different court decided he was too old for his parents to be responsible financially.

Win-win for everyone but my family member. And yes, his parents were very well off financially.

Wendya on December 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Vehicular HOMICIDE.

Did he accidentally get drunk and accidentally get behind the wheel.

MontanaMmmm on December 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Admittedly I saw this story and didn’t pay much attention to it. Children whose parents are rich live by a different set of rules. Maryland’s AG (running for O’Malley’s job) got caught on video in the beach house he and some other parents rented for thier kids after high school graduation- among the rules was no hard liquor. His defense for being at the kegger was that as AG in Maryland he had no law enforcement authority in Delaware. The University of Virginia lacrosse player who killed his ex-girlfriend still has a legal team working on getting him another trial. Conversely, the only reason why Mike Nifong failed in convicting the Duke lacrosse team was wealthy parents who hired very good lawyers.

All of that being said, whoever provided the booze to this teen should be held responsible to some extent.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2013 at 5:51 PM

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

This defense reminds me of the Twinkie Defense.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM

clearbluesky on December 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Smug.

Did someone push his foot on the gas?

I think, slipping on the icy road is an accident. Deliberately driving drunk. Not.

MontanaMmmm on December 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Victims Respond:
Video(14:02)

“Affluenza” Doesn’t Justify Teen’s Behavior in Fatal Crash, Psychologists Say

The term “affluenza” has since been used to describe a condition in which children — generally from richer families — have a sense of entitlement, are irresponsible, make excuses for poor behavior, and sometimes dabble in drugs and alcohol
*************************************

By Ramit Plushnick-Masti
| Friday, Dec 13, 2013 | Updated 6:50 AM CST
***********************************************

canopfor on December 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Ok, then where did it happen?

gwelf on December 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Easy enough to find out. Heck, a cursory search would have told you that. Or, when you were corrected the first time you wrote from ignorance.

MontanaMmmm on December 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM

You aren’t. It’s just odd that you would make a big deal out of a law your own state doesn’t have.

cozmo on December 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM

workingclass artist on December 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Tarrant County, again? What the hell is it with Fort Worth these days? First Wendy Davis. Then the connection to the Washington Navy Yard shooter. Now this? Something in the water?

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM