Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on December 13, 2013 by Allahpundit

Friday evening on The Kelly File, Fox’s Megyn Kelly will address the controversy surrounding her Wednesday evening segment in which she declared that it is a “verifiable fact” that Santa Claus is white.

The segment set off all kinds of reactions, from outrage to mockery to eye-rolls to scholarly analysis.

***

[C]hanging Santa does not mean we’re being “politically correct.” It means we’re expanding our perceptions of the “norm.” The argument that Santa must be white spills over into conversations about other, equally fictional characters. Can James Bond or Spider-Man be played by people of color? Why not? And yet some people will tell you—believe me—that they have to be white. Of course, some people also believe that characters who were written as people of color are not actually people of color. Which goes to show how deeply rooted the idea of “whiteness” as the default really is. And that presumption carries over into our everyday lives as well, sometimes with sad results.

I’ll be fine if no one else jumps on board the penguin train and Santa remains a white man. But if you’re seriously emphatic that he is white and must remain white, there’s a good chance that your view of the rest of the world is just as limited and unimaginative. I mean, we are talking about a magical man who slides down your chimney every Christmas Eve. Just so we’re clear.

***

Nasrallah noted that although contemporary depictions of Santa Claus might often look a certain way, Santa as a character is divorced from the actual Saint Nicholas, who lived in the fourth century.’

“Saint Nicholas is born into a family that probably considered itself to be ethnically Greek but in an area of the world that we now call Turkey,” she explains. “Historically, you can’t import a category like ‘white’ into fourth century Asia minor.”

Nasrallah stresses that the historical Saint Nicholas and the contemporary Santa Claus character are not the same thing; and because the mythical Santa isn’t real, he doesn’t have a race.

***

Now, it is true that—for almost two millennia—Europeans have portrayed Jesus Christ as a European. But the historical Jesus of Nazareth was a Galilean Jew who lived in Roman Palestine, or present-day Israel. In all likelihood, he was—like his disciples and contemporaries—dark-haired, dark-eyed, and olive-skinned. Indeed, early depictions show him as such, with short, close-cropped hair (the long-haired Jesus doesn’t appear in iconography until the 6th century)…

Kelly’s not wrong to say that Santa Claus is European—that’s his heritage. But there’s little chance that Jesus is white, and asserting otherwise is just as ludicrous as the declaration—made by some Christians—that Jesus spoke the early modern English of the King James Bible. At best, the assertion of Jesus’s whiteness reflects ignorance. At worst, it’s a sign of racial prejudice.

***

I want to make a larger point, which might be interesting to you or may not be interesting. What I just described is Jesus. What Megan Kelly described is the Christ. And they’re different people! In other words, the Christ can be whatever you want him to be.

When you go to, for instance, the Church of the Annunciation at Nazareth. They have commissioned Christian communities from all over the world to paint a depiction of Jesus and his mother Mary. They’ve displayed all those paintings, and when you look at, for instance, the painting from the United States, what you see is a blonde and blue-eyed Jesus.

When you look at the painting from Guatemala, what you see are Jesus and Mary as migrant farm workers. I don’t mean they look like migrant farm workers I mean they are migrant farm workers. When you look at the painting from China, Jesus and Mary are Chinese, literally Chinese. When you look at the painting from Thailand, Jesus and Mary are blue, as though they are Hindu gods.

So, it’s a much more interesting issue that arises from her statement: Megyn Kelly is right. Her Christ is white.

***

It is important, however, to understand how the historical Jesus — who was a Jew of Israel, born in Judea, raised in the Galilee — might have looked, and how he dressed and ate and thought and prayed, because Christians have labored for many centuries, in a not-benign way, to Europeanize, and de-Judaize, their savior’s image. This campaign was an indispensable component of the church’s age-old project to separate its savior from his faith, and to therefore turn Christianity against its mother religion…

The genetic truth, as best we know, is more complicated and interesting than Aslan suggests. Jesus might have looked like a Palestinian; he might also have looked like a Bedouin, or a Druze or a mizrachi Israeli, those Israelis descended from the Jewish communities of the greater Middle East. He might have even had the physical characteristics of Ashkenazi Jews, descendants of the Jews who found their way to Europe from the land of Israel. The reason Jesus could have looked like a member of any of these groups is simple: Today, they all share an enormous number of overlapping genetic characteristics.

***

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

MoreB

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Kris Kringle was a White German who led an effort years ago to deny Africans their true holiday Kwanzuhh.

He and Christopher Columbus are European terrorists (per Common Core 2015 textbooks).

And Kringle also helped destroy that lovely serf /peasant class thing by giving people false hope in a brighter future when all but the Ruling Class should be groundskeepers and housekeepers.

Shouldn’t we just ban that whole German people thing (Common Core Advanced prep book in 2019).

PappyD61 on December 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM

MoreB

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM

(:->)

KOOLAID2 on December 14, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Edward Snowden for President ’16!

Freedom!

FloatingRock on December 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Ironically as a result of this story Saint Nicholas holds the distinction of being the patron saint of prostitutes.

Schadenfreude on December 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Thank you very much sir for the lonk. Especially enjoyed the other link to Miley Cyrus wanting a boob job so that she will taken “seriously.”
I’m thinking, “Miley, lovie, next time you are out on the town, just go commando and let a photog capture some nice cooter shots. You will really be taken seriously then.”

arnold ziffel on December 14, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Edward Snowden w/b such a fool if he’d make a deal with this admin. They want him to stop releasing info, in return for a ‘pardon’.

They’d kill him anyway, since he soiled the prince of darkness.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM

God damn all the traitors of the land.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Does the fact that the “almighty (small a) allah” is debating the facts around Jesus indicate a softening of his atheistic stance?

The answer is NO.

But, consider this:

What the hell is a Michael Boob-Lay?

And why, oh why, does this magical Boob-Lay appear at this holy time of the year?

HMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.

Inquiring minds don’t want to know, but the rest of us are silly with anticipation…

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Saw this today in the comments at ZH

.gif of the Mandela Deaf interpreter.

It’s pretty awesome.

Murphy9 on December 14, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Murphy9 on December 14, 2013 at 12:47 AM

First, what does that have to do with a Boob-Lay?

Second, that is funny as hell.

A+

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Third,

Where’s the pony?

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Still Got The Blues – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

And yes… we’re still “waiting for the miracle”.

Goodnight, Paladin. :)

thatsafactjack on December 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM

thatsafactjack on December 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Mexico has reams of progressive laws on the books, virtually all of which have been thwarted by corruption and inefficiency involving officials at every level. Many police officers work for drug traffickers. Federal regulators turn a blind eye to blatantly monopolistic practices among the nation’s largest companies. As a result, Mexicans have been left deeply skeptical about the potential for change.

That’s some kinda facts, Jack.

Thanks.

Seriously, thank you.

We’ve got problems.

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM

God damn all the traitors of the land.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM

This is really the biggest issue of them all. We must vote out anyone who supports this.

Mass illegal alien amnesty would eventually make it impossible to elect a conservative nationwide. It would do more damage to the country in the long-term than Obama staying in office an additional 8 years.

bluegill on December 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Nite J. Enjoy the season.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM

In reference to my last post, we’ve got viva la Boehner, and McWhatever determined to decide for the conservative side what our position is.

Now, they’re shaming the ones who dared to vote for them against the tide.

This is admirable behavior for our duly elected and SWORN representatives. God help us all.

Listen up, Republicans:

You’ve got the ball in your court. Do something; do something loudly, and publicize the hell out of it.

You’ve got to fight fire with fire.

And you better get your aim straight.

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 1:17 AM

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow.

Sounds like a penguin to me!!

Dollayo on December 14, 2013 at 1:17 AM

We’ve got problems.

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM

We need to pitchfork our thugs, from both sides, politically, of course.

———–
Indeed bluegill. obama’care’ + amnesty = expedited end.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Our voted and vetted sirs and Ma’ams should be devoted to the benefit of their respective constituencies. Yet, it persists that they are all beholden to re-electing their sorry selves.

I submit to all thinking people that the egregious actions of the recent Congresses demands that we the people demand TERM LIMITS.

Power corrupts. You know the rest.

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 1:26 AM

You know, if QOTD is going to become nothing but allahpundit digging out the tastiest Liberal Distraction Morsel or obsessing on anything racial or religious to Help The Hard Left hold up their of the Distraction and “Squirrel!” bargain so that no one notices the destruction that Obama and his minions are HEAPING on the nation….

…..he may as well just go over to Daily KOS and help them with their messaging right where their message belongs……

williamg on December 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Ain’t it fun, knowing that our own Gov’t is suspicious of WE THE PEOPLE?

It would be jocular certainly, were it not for the fact that our Rights are being systematically eroded in front of our face.

The power grab that Democrat D.C. and it’s leader, Barack Obama, have undertaken is a brazen attack on our very system of governance.
They’ve circumvented and outright ignored The Constitution.

I reject the notion that a popular presidentor any president, is allowed to do whatever is deemed necessary to pass their own personal agenda. This president, and any president, is expected and sworn to go beyond politics and uphold the law of the land — particularly the Constitution.

Tell me I’m wrong.

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM

God damn all the traitors of the land.

Schadenfreude on December 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Steppenwolf……and I wonder if they ever even read the Herman Hesse novel….

williamg on December 14, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Ain’t it fun, knowing that our own Gov’t is suspicious of WE THE PEOPLE?

They’ve circumvented and outright ignored The Constitution.

Tell me I’m wrong.

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 1:52 AM

williamg on December 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM

No offense, but Allah has persistently presented both sides and offered various takes on most all of the topics discussed here. I’m no sheep; I’ve been given second and third chances here back when the thing was first started up, and Allah and Michelle saw fit to see it through.

All sorts of ideas are tolerated here, as long as the presentation of them is not blatantly offensive. I speak only for myself and my experiences over the years, for what it’s worth.

Stay cool and think before you hit “send” and you’ll be OK.

I love your posts, BTW. Love ya,

—————————————— hillbillyjim————-

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Stay cool and think before you hit “send” and you’ll be OK.

I love your posts, BTW. Love ya,

—————————————— hillbillyjim————-

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 1:59 AM

No offense taken at all – I have been here that long in one form or another, too…..and I know that a lot of people really like the guy I’m talking about there. I try to mete out my objections with care….

I agree with all of that part of your post – and Thank you for the confidence and the words.

I just find him annoying – and predictable – and frequently: helping the enemy.

I Love your Posts, too Jim – you are On The Side Of Good!

williamg on December 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM

williamg on December 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM

It’s all good, mostly, IF WE CAN GET OUT THE VOTE.

We’ve gotta vote these bums out, then take every regulation past the appeals level and win. That means no more caving on nominations and the rest.

I’m sure you’re as frustrated as I am in our inability to have our voices heard due to an increasingly domineering Senate allegedly led by one Harry Reid, and an Absolutist administration. The Senate power grab is unrivaled in history, and should be roundly and soundly condemned by both sides of the aisle for obvious reasons.

The only way to set the sail of our nation on the right path is to go back to our founding principles and adhere to them. It is, after all, the law.

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Dire Straits was here..:)

Dire Straits on December 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Dire Straits was there.

Mr. Straits, google up anything Clapton and you’ll be happy, happy, happy…

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 2:22 AM

This the lamest Friday the 13th evah.

Lame.

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Yeah, yeah, I know, …

It’s 5 O Frikkin’ clock somewhere.

And the fact remains that Jesus is putting coal in AP’s sock or something.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. KP is rocking her Christianity and it’s beautiful. One more soul.

Thank you, God.

You and your Son are glorious.

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Snow Blues

novaculus on December 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Snow Blues

novaculus on December 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Billy Gibbons forevah. And stuff.

Blues.

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Snow Blues

novaculus on December 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Written By Hoyt Axton – Popularized By A 60′s Supergroup….

williamg on December 14, 2013 at 3:21 AM

novaculus on December 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Good evening, Nova. :)

So good, verily. A Les Paul and slow blues.

We’ve missed you here. I trust you’re well.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas, Nova. :)

thatsafactjack on December 14, 2013 at 3:55 AM

hillbillyjim on December 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Most welcome, Jim. Merry Christmas to you. :)

thatsafactjack on December 14, 2013 at 3:56 AM

Disagree. It was the first time I’d seen her original statement, and it was foolish. I’ve as little patience for multicultural crapola as the next guy, but categorically stating Santa is white is just dumb. Sure, we always see him as white in our culture (the point Kelly says she was making), the same way we always see Popeye as white. But there’s a big difference: thousands of black men don’t dress up to be Popeye at the holiest time of the year.

She should’ve cut her losses and said, “While the comment has received over-the-top attention only because of the anti-conservative bias in the culture, it was a stupid thing to say and I’m sorry.”

bobs1196 on December 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM

That’s 100% wrong.

Santa Claus, like Popeye, James Bond and Peter Parker, was created as a Caucasian character…people like you might want to ignore the actual content of the Santa Claus myth and write-out that he was a white man, which would make you look stupid if you were to do so.

Anti-Control on December 14, 2013 at 4:16 AM

thatsafactjack on December 14, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Good evening, Jackie. (Good morning might be more appropriate.)

I played snow music because it is snowing here, and I’ve been shoveling.

Haven’t been around much, I know. Troubles, troubles, troubles. Right now I’m up because the heat is not working at my mom’s and I’m protecting the pipes by having a fire continuously in her fireplace. Burns down about every three hours. But it is central to her small cottage, with passive venting to bath and kitchen, and I’m keeping it about 50F.

Mom’s in the hospital, 2nd time in two weeks. They may release her tomorrow. If I can’t get her heat working, I’ll have to put her in a hotel. I’ve been hospitalized too, and I’m recovering from surgery. But I’m hanging in there.

A very Merry Christmas to you too. I’m going to go stoke the fire at mom’s.

novaculus on December 14, 2013 at 4:16 AM

bobs1196 on December 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM

That’s 100% wrong.

Anti-Control on December 14, 2013 at 4:16 AM

It’s totally wrong. You never, ever back down when the lefty Puritans are attacking you.

Punchenko on December 14, 2013 at 4:25 AM

novaculus on December 14, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Nova, my friend, I’m so exceedingly sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope you’re not overdoing it, since you’ve recently undergone surgery and been released from the hospital. You need time to recover and recoup, too. I wish you a swift and complete recovery.

I hope your mother makes a full recover, too, and I certainly hope that the weather gives you a break and the heat gets fixed and the pipes don’t burst. I know what it is to battle winter. However, I think your idea regarding the hotel is a sound one if things aren’t ready when she comes home, and that might give you a little more time to rest and recuperate as well.

I had a feeling that something wasn’t going well when I didn’t see you here for some time. I’m very glad to see you here again.

Take very good care of yourself, Nova. We’ll be here when you’re ready. :)

thatsafactjack on December 14, 2013 at 5:59 AM

novaculus on December 14, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Thanks for sharing about you & your mother (I’d do the same here @HA if I were having mentionable health issues…)

Well-wishes to both of you! :)

Anti-Control on December 14, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Punchenko on December 14, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Yep!

Leftists/leftards are always pushing, whether or not we’re paying attention…we need to constantly act as though we’re playing Whac-A-Mole with them. :)

The Avengers – “Open Your Eyes”

Open your eyes, open your eyes
You don’t see what’s going on, come on
Open your eyes, open your eyes
You watch TV to find out what’s right and wrong, yeah
Open your eyes
Well, they tell you lies and you sing along
Open your eyes to what you respected
Open your eyes, and you can reject it

Like lemmings you run towards destruction
You can’t stop the stream of corruption
And oh, I see, you’ve been blind
You better make up your mind now

Anti-Control on December 14, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Well, poop. I was fully committed to attending last night’s Friday the 13th QOTD, but I passed out and stayed that way for twelve hours. Apparently, my body wanted extra rest and had other plans.

1. Santa is white.

2. Jesus is a Jew, and Jews are not olive; they are fair-skinned.

3. Temperatures on Earth are a function of cloud cover, and cloud cover is not a function of trace levels of atmospheric carbon. We’ve known this from the beginning.

^ I won’t argue because I don’t care anymore. People believe what they want to believe now.

4. I demand the unconditional release of Resist We Much. Whoever’s taken her, let her go. Don’t make me flail you. I’m not going to live on this little Sophie if it can be helped.

A very Merry Christmas to you too. I’m going to go stoke the fire at mom’s.

novaculus on December 14, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Wow. Sorry, Nova. It’ll ease back a bit — it always does. Hang in there. :)

Axe on December 14, 2013 at 7:09 AM

You never, ever back down when the lefty Puritans are attacking you.

Punchenko on December 14, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Quoted for truth.

David Blue on December 14, 2013 at 7:37 AM

You gotta love leftards, who don’t listen and can’t think!

‘Lost on the humorless’: Megyn Kelly defends ‘Santa just is white’ comment

Anti-Control on December 14, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Good, Morning, Patriots! And, Trolls.
My take: “The War Against Christianity: Why This “Unholy Crusade” Against Christianity in American and Why Don’t Atheists Attack Muslims?”

kingsjester on December 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Is it a verifiable fact that I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas is really a racist, imperialistic viewpoint?

Will movie soundtracks be dubbed for whatever kind of Christmas you want to dream of in the name of diversity, political correctness and fairness? I’m Dreaming of a Hispanic Christmas?

What?

Snow?

Oh, that’s different. Nevermind.

Fallon on December 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM