Report: Cruz coloring book selling like crazy

posted at 10:01 pm on December 12, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Capitalism, how I love thee.

AUSTIN, Texas — He’s known for coloring outside the lines in the staid U.S. Senate. Now children large and small can color in U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz.

Just in time for the holidays, St. Louis publisher Really Big Coloring Books Inc. is offering a coloring and activity book featuring the Texas tea party darling.

Company founder Wayne Bell said Thursday the book is already in its third printing after just six days. The first run of around 10,000 sold out in barely 24 hours, and the second went nearly as fast.

“At this point, I would almost call it a phenomenon,” Bell said. “It’s beyond us. We’re just trying to catch up with the printing.”

“U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz to the Future” is intended for “all ages.” Cruz did not cooperate in its production.

The cover features the beaming senator pointing at a flourishing tea plant whose stalks are stenciled with “Ten Commandments” and “U.S. Constitution.” It has leaves that include “Gun rights,” ”Free Enterprise,” and “Lower Taxes.”

It’s the perfect political Christmas gift. It’s inexpensive, it benefits a small business in the US of A, and it’s perfect as a sincere gift for Tea Partiers, a semi-ironic one for RINOs, and a gag gift for liberals. Everyone wins!

Biff Diddle of the Free Beacon reviewed the coloring book and found it a font of liberal indoctrination. Ha.

The moment I opened Cruz to the Future I fell face-first into a poisonous cloud of liberalism. There was socialist icon Franklin Delano Roosevelt in a collage of “Historic American Leaders.” One of the characters in the book holds, yes, a frisbee. I rest my case.

For its part Really Big Coloring Books is a politically agnostic shop, catering to whomever might have a hankering to color. And, their political titles have done quite well, with one exception:

Bell said his company has received some offensive and even threatening calls since the book’s debut. It also produced a top-selling 2008 coloring book on President Barack Obama’s inauguration, though a second edition produced in 2012 flopped.

The company also offers an Occupy Wall Street coloring booking and a free online coloring page on October’s partial government shutdown.

Bell said a non-political title, “The Big Book of Dinosaurs,” was traditionally the company’s most-popular book, with more than 1 million copies sold. But he said the 2008 Obama book outsold it, and that a more-recent title, the “Tea Party Coloring Book for Kids” broke even that record.

For those of you who have no need for paper on which to paint in the bright bold colors of conservatism because you live it, man—or, you know, because you prefer an iPhone to a coloring book— introducing the official President Ronald Reagan app.

But not to fear, space age Tea Partiers. The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library has devised a way for you to carry the Gipper with you every where you go, whether you have immediate access to a keyboard or not. Thanks to the miracle of modern technology, the Official Ronald Reagan App was born and launches today on the iTunes and Google Play stores.

The iconic 40th president of the United States is now featured in “Ronald Reagan: The Official App,” launched by the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation. The app provides speeches, video of the Gipper and quotes where you can be inspired by hearing Reagan’s famous sayings such as “there you go again” and “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.”

Well, my shopping’s done.

Comments

Wait for it. We’ve been through it today. Why don’t you post a Palin thread too.
Bring it.

AllahsNippleHair on December 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Too difficult for lostfatherland, is there something offered with just blank pages for him?

Bishop on December 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM

No cults of personality, please.

Lanceman on December 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I suspect there’s more substance in this than in “The Audacity of Hope.”

GOPRanknFile on December 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Bishop on December 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM

The mother will eat the crayons too.

AllahsNippleHair on December 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I’m going to have to get the app to see if it has the line about bombing Russia.

My fellow Americans, I’m pleased to tell you today that I’ve signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

malclave on December 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Omg. Seriously???

/facepalm

Valkyriepundit on December 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Bishop on December 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM

The mother will eat the crayons too.

AllahsNippleHair on December 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM

…or insert them…someplace!

KOOLAID2 on December 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM

…or insert them…someplace!

KOOLAID2 on December 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM

lolz

bazil9 on December 12, 2013 at 10:29 PM

B9 has a sweet bottom.

Anyhow, body painting is fun, coloring with crayons not so fun.

SparkPlug on December 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM

KOOLAID2 on December 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM

C’mon dude, I just had dinner.

Anyhow, body painting is fun…

SparkPlug on December 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Not really, the fun wears off pretty quickly.
Or so I’ve been told…

cozmo on December 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM

cozmo on December 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM

wraslin’ wears off the body paint.

Twerp knows.

SparkPlug on December 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I will never look at crayons the same way again.

AllahsNippleHair on December 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM

coloring book

RACIST!

Shy Guy on December 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Allahpundit bought all of them.

22044 on December 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I will never look at crayons the same way again.

AllahsNippleHair on December 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Ahem. And just how were you looking at crayons until now?

Shy Guy on December 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM

SparkPlug on December 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Everything wears off the body paint. And even the flavored stuff doesn’t taste that good.

cozmo on December 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Hey!

Quick! Someone find mailing addresses for these people…

Peter King
John McCain
John Boehner
Mitch McConnell

A perfect stocking stuffer for your favorite RINOs!

Multiple copies for each would be fabulous!

dforston on December 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM

OK… I don’t correct the comments, but the text is wrong.

The clause “catering to whoever might have a hankering to color” should be as I just wrote it. “Whoever” is the subject of that clause, not the object of “to.”

Really, either learn to use whom and semicolons properly, or don’t use them at all.

Wino on December 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I am buying some

bluegill on December 13, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Wino on December 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I think MKH is right.

bluegill on December 13, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Ted Cruz is my coloring page.

The Nerve on December 13, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Wino on December 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I think MKH is right.

bluegill on December 13, 2013 at 2:01 AM

No, she is not. The verb is “might have (a hankering).” The subject of that verb is “whoever.” Else, what is the subject (nominative) of that clause.

Which makes more sense? “…catering to him, who might have a hankering…” or “catering to him, whom might have a hankering?”

I am not wrong on this. Sorry if you don’t agree.

Wino on December 13, 2013 at 3:37 AM

I am not wrong on this. Sorry if you don’t agree.
Wino on December 13, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Thank you for explaining.

You should work on your tact, though. You come off like a bit of a pompous, rude troll.

bluegill on December 13, 2013 at 5:37 AM

How nice.

Now all his fans have something to do while they await their next red meat feeding.

Adjoran on December 13, 2013 at 5:45 AM

I heart MKH

John the Libertarian on December 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Now, I want one. I have a regular sized Oliver North (Iran Contra) coloring book from the 80′s.

magicbeans on December 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

He should do one in Spanish, too.

Kissmygrits on December 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Damn. Might just have to trade in my Windows phone for an iPhone to get this.

rockmom on December 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM

The subject of that verb is “whoever.”

It actually should be “whomever.”

My gut says the coloring book, despite supposed political agnosticism of publisher, is a Cruz parody designed to make fun of him. But the progs seem to think it’s real and “scary.”

Missy on December 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM