Running on Obamacare… away from the election

posted at 8:01 am on December 11, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

I suppose Debbie Wasserman Schultz was right… Obamacare will be the basis for plenty of Democrats who are running. One prime example is found out in Nebraska’s 2nd Congressional District, where Republican Lee Terry drew what Democrats were crowing about as a high profile challenger in the person of Pete Festersen. Pete had high hopes when he unofficially tossed his hat in the ring in October.

A partial shutdown of the U.S. government and an impasse over raising the federal debt ceiling have prompted a Nebraska Democratic officeholder to challenge Republican Rep. Lee Terry in the 2014 elections.

Pete Festersen, a city councilman in Omaha, reversed an earlier decision to sit out the race. ‘Like most people, my frustration has grown by the day over the last month, with the government shutdown and the brinkmanship on the debt ceiling,’ Festersen said, the Omaha World-Herald newspaper reported early today.

Festersen clearly didn’t care for all of those demands to shut down Obamacare, a program he cared very deeply about. And with the nation so clearly against the GOP, the time was ripe for him to make his move. But strangely, when the press asked for more details about his support of the healthcare law after the launch of the website, Pete was… rather quiet.

Omahans might wonder what congressional candidate Pete Festersen thinks about the new health care law’s stumbling, bumbling start.

They should check back in 2014.

The Omaha city councilman, a Democrat running against eight-term incumbent Republican Lee Terry, turned down a World-Herald request Tuesday to discuss implementation of the new law.

Campaign spokeswoman Tess Fogarty said Festersen would not discuss “congressional issues” until after he formally announces his candidacy — an announcement that most likely won’t come until sometime after the holidays.

If we assume that by “the holidays” Festersen meant Thanksgiving, he was absolutely true to his word and did have something to say.

He’s out of the race — again. Democrat Pete Festersen is ending his campaign for Republican Lee Terry’s seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. The Omaha City Council president told The World-Herald on Monday that he’s been unable to balance his work, family and council responsibilities with the demands of a high-profile congressional race. ‘It is the right time for moderate, practical-minded people to make a difference, but I’ve determined it’s not the right time for me or my young family to run for national office,’ Festersen said. He said he made the decision over the weekend, after having discussions with his family. It comes less than two months after Festersen announced he’d take on Terry in the 2014 election.

Festersen, 42, had been urged by prominent Democrats — including Vice President Joe Biden — to run.

You just witnessed the entire arc of a congressional campaign take place from October 14th to December 9th. But in all fairness, I suppose some things can just sneak up on you… like remembering that you have have a family. Or possibly, running on Obamacare and counting on voter anger at the GOP for fighting against the flawed program suddenly seemed like less of a sure thing.

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared it’s ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.

Bravely taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

Comments

Is this a portent? I hope so.

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

And it is just going to get worse after January when all of the brand new shiny Health Insurance deductibles kick in for all of those new plans. People will still be paying out of pocket through the end of summer for a bunch of the new plans. They will certainly remember that in November.

Johnnyreb on December 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM

…Affordable Care Act…there is no more ObamaCare…anywhere… on a Demorats lips!

KOOLAID2 on December 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM

No offense meant Jazz but I think you will be lucky to get twenty hits with this post.

celtic warrior on December 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

DEMS Running on Obamacare…

Hopefully the demrats will allow these type candidates to fester…

BigSven on December 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Run forest run

cmsinaz on December 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Families are like sororities in that regard — they provide ready made excuses not to do what you do not want to do. :)

WannabeAnglican on December 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I just read over at Powerline or Ace or somewhere that once the new deductibles and co-pays kick in next year the current Obamacare plans will be non-compliant. That means that all those people with Obamacare plans will — wait for it — NOT GET TO KEEP THEIR PLANS. Who could have guessed it? Republicans need to tattoo this stuff on their foreheads so they don’t forget to constantly remind people of the mess Obamacare is.

IdrilofGondolin on December 11, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I think we, as conservatives, need to sit out the next election.

The GOP believes two things:

1) conservatives will always vote for them regardless of what they do; and

2) even if 1 isn’t correct, they can win without conservatives.

Both of those notions need to be disabused before the GOP will move right.

And, if the GOP doesn’t move right – then the GOP needs to be terminated.

Yes, I know, we “have a good chance to win the Senate”. So what? What, exactly, do you believe that will get us?

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Ross Perot 2.0?

He might get back in, again.

listens2glenn on December 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Is this a portent? I hope so.

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I don’t know about portent, but I sure hope it means something similar in other races around the country…

Rufus on December 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I’m not disappointed that a chump like Festersen chickened out, but 8 terms, good grief.

Bitter Clinger on December 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Johnnyreb on December 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM

and wait until the employer mandates kick in and more ppl are dumped
off of their plans …. of course the Iwon delayed those until after the mid terms but I hope businesses will tell their employees before the election what is coming.

conservative tarheel on December 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM

It happens to me all the time. I also forget to pay my bills, where I live, and how to breathe.

One thing I never forget though is how the Democrat party rammed this down Americas throat.

See you all 2014.

Gatsu on December 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Bitter Clinger on December 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM

16 years at the trough – agree … we need term limits.

conservative tarheel on December 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

You can sit out, and tell us how brave you were to do so.

wargamer6 on December 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Hopefully the demrats will allow these type candidates to fester…

BigSven on December 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Allow them to Festersen.

Bishop on December 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Not to sound too much like an East Coast snob but “high-profile congressional race” because the Omaha City Council President is the challenger for the NE-2 seat??? WTF? I don’t think high-profile means what Festersen thinks it means.

Happy Nomad on December 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Monkeytoe, I understand your disappointment with our current batch of “representatives”, who seem more interested in representing themselves, BUT, I think we will do better if we support whoever is the “more” conservative, even if they may not be conservative “enough”.

Do I want things fixed? Yes – I have kids who I want to have a future, but things would be a whole lot different right now if we had only had 1 more conservative in the senate last time around.

So, while you may not want to vote for the “not enough” conservative, the least you can do is cancel out a vote from someone who wants “not” conservative.

BTW, just watched Atlas Shrugged 2 (on netflix) – very depressing, so don’t be going all John Galt on us here.

Lucky Pierre on December 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Happy Nomad on December 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I’m sure it’s all the rage in Omaha.

Bitter Clinger on December 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared it’s ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.

Bravely taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

Saving this for the next time the GOP surrender weasels decide that running away is better than fighting. Like when they agree to go along with the very bad budget deal that Obama and Reid love.

Happy Nomad on December 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM

and wait until the employer mandates kick in and more ppl are dumped

conservative tarheel on December 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Most companies are already working on the next fiscal year and looking at bottom lines within their budgets. People will lose their employer health insurance way before the election even with the Obama delay.

Johnnyreb on December 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I think we, as conservatives, need to sit out the next election…………………………..I urge everyone who considers themselves a conservative to sit out the next election.

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Brave Monkeytoe ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared it’s ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Monkeytoe turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.

Bravely taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the braaaave, Monkeytoe !

Shaughnessy on December 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I’m sure it’s all the rage in Omaha.

Bitter Clinger on December 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Maybe, but my general rule of thumb is that it is not a high-profile race when (outside the district) Americans have never heard of the challenger or the incumbent (now in his 8th term). Liz Cheney’s challenge for the GOP Senate nomination against Enzi is a high-profile race. Mary Landrieu’s race is high-profile because of her role in pushing through Obamacare. Trey Radel (FL-19) will have a high-profile race, if he runs, because of his addiction problems. But the race for NE-2? Not so much.

Happy Nomad on December 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Happy Nomad on December 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I should have added a sarc tag because I actually agree with you.

Bitter Clinger on December 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Gateway pundit was notified this week that he lost his insurance…After being gravely ill.

“This week I found out I am going to lose my insurance. The company that carried me is leaving the Missouri market. I will have to find something else.

I am one of the millions who will be looking for new insurance. God willing, I will be able to keep my doctors at St. Louis University. I trust them. They saved my life. Please pray for me and the millions of working Americans who are going through this same ordeal.

Why is our government doing this to us?….”

workingclass artist on December 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Happy Nomad on December 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Your rule of thumb? So you like to beat women, huh, ya Boondock Saint.

Homophobe.

Bishop on December 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Why is our government doing this to us?….”

workingclass artist on December 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Because bar sluts like Sandra Fluke are demanding that their birth control be free. Somebody has to pay for all these parasites mooching off the system.

Happy Nomad on December 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Your rule of thumb? So you like to beat women, huh, ya Boondock Saint.

Bishop on December 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

You need to catch up on your feminist dogma. Rule of thumb has nothing to do with wife beating but since it evokes the culture that allowed it, the term shouldn’t be used. Link
Just like Chicago and golf are racist when applied to Obama.

Happy Nomad on December 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Error 404 on the link.

Too busy beating women to post a proper link. Nice.

Racist.

Bishop on December 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I think we, as conservatives, need to sit out the next election.

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I dissent. 2014 is the best opportunity in years for conservatives to give the Dems an electoral massacre that they’ll never forget.

matthew8787 on December 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I urge anyone this clueless to stop calling themselves “conservative”.

Marcus on December 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

In enterprise of martial kind when there was any fighting/He led his regiment from behind. He found it less exciting./But when away his regiment ran, his place was at the fore–O!/That celebrated, underrated … nobleman–The Duke of Plaza Toro.//In first and foremost flight/You always found that knight!

njcommuter on December 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM

celtic warrior

32 already ! actually, Pavlov’s dogs are kicking in . . . me likey

williampeck1958 on December 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

It is pretty clear by now that if you are a ‘net’ taxpayer, that is you pay more into the system than you get out, you are going to take in the a** on Obamacare. And for once, I would like to see the Republicans call it like it is, regardless of any cries of racism or callousness. The NRCC Slogan for 2014:

WANT THE OBAMACARE WALLET RAPE TO STOP? VOTE REPUBLICAN.

M240H on December 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

celtic warrior on December 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

35 and counting!

Vince on December 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Will Obamacare be repealed or won’t it? Will Congress fund it or won’t it? Will the web site be fixed or wont it? Blah, blah, blah. We the people just need to do what we need to do and Congress be damned. Resist. Refuse. Revolt. EXEMPT OURSELVES! We did not comply with Prohibition and we simply should not comply with Obamacare. For religious reasons. For privacy reasons. For the cause of liberty and freedom and in protest of the idea that the federal government (under one party rule, no less), can force private citizens to purchase anything with our own money. Are we citizens or subjects? Mice or men(women)? Just say NO to socialism and to the corrupt, unionized, far left IRS: the gestapo of America’s political class. And have no fear; after all, the federal government ignores millions of illegals who are breaking U.S. immigration law every day and nothing happens to them! Our Founders pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor. All we have to do is just say no to a scheme we all know is un-American and a violation of our most basic founding fundamentals of privacy, self reliance, limited government and individual freedom.
The Refusniks

devan95 on December 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM

celtic warrior on December 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

woo hoo

conservative tarheel on December 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

monkey toe
do not let perfect be the enemy of good
vote for the most conservative person running ….
esp. in congress and ESP. in the primaries ….

conservative tarheel on December 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Happy Nomad on December 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

It’s a House race, where an incumbent has a foreseeable chance to lose. That makes it… what?… one of 75-100?

Maybe?

That already makes it more watchable than 80% of the races. I’d call that fairly high profile…

JohnGalt23 on December 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

The Omaha City Council president told The World-Herald on Monday that he’s been unable to balance his work, family and council responsibilities with the demands of a high-profile congressional race secure DNC funding assistance after expressing his disdain with running on ObamaCare as required by Wasserman-Schultz, Chair of the DNC.

“She said there wouldn’t be any national campaign funds available to any DNC candidate who doesn’t promote the success of ObamaCare”

Ok…I made that up. But although its fake, it is probably the truth.

BobMbx on December 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Last night, the RINO’s were saying it’s about “winning elections” …

(Laughable on the face of it because the GOPe/RINO philosophy LOSES elections.)

… and now you propose we “intentionally lose winnable elections”.

/sarc on

“Whatever you say, Brave Sir Robin.”

/sarc off

PolAgnostic on December 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared it’s ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.

Bravely taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

Then they ate Sir Robin’s minstrel, and there was much rejoicing … yay.

listens2glenn on December 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM

“Buggered off” I believe is the lyric.

Right now the tea leaves seem scary for Demwits looking to make their big power play.

Jaibones on December 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Happy Nomad on December 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I’m sure it’s all the rage in Omaha.

Bitter Clinger on December 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

NE-2 is, but it isn’t important. NE-2 is Omaha, which has a significant proportion of black people and the self-preening libs in west Omaha, which is why Ogabe won the district in .08 and’12. Nebraska is one of only two states which awards its electoral vote based on district voting rather than state voting. So in ’08 and ’12, Nebraska gave two electoral votes to the Rs and one (NE-2) to the Ds. In ’10, the Ds ran a guy named Tom White who actually would have been an excellent Representative, but fell afoul of the Pelosi/OgabeCare blowback. So, wth NE-2 going for Ogabe in both elections, the Ds cherish the hope that they can get a red toehold in a blue, blue state. Winning NE-2 would have been a feather in the Ds’ cap, a symbol of them gaining ground. Otherwise, yes, Bitter Clinger is right; NE-2 doesn’t amount to much.

catsandbooks on December 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

16 years at the trough – agree … we need term limits.

conservative tarheel on December 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

There will be a primary you know. Maybe some enterprising Cornhusker TEA partier will run against him.

Kafir on December 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM

So-called “conservatives” who sit out the midterm – or any elections from now on – because their choices aren’t “conservative enough” are stupid and should be shunned.

In what part of life do you get the exact ideal choices you can imagine? Are there not things for which you must settle in every aspect of life?

Or are you spoiled little rich children with indulgent parents?

I wish all you whiners who can do nothing but complain about Republicans would leave the party and discussion over it now and forever. Form your tiny little fringe kook party and stay the heck out of our primaries and deliberations.

You will never win an election but, by God, you will feel soooo pure.

Adjoran on December 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared it’s its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.

Schadenfreude on December 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Schadenfreude on December 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Oh, come on. I pasted it in from a Python site.

Jazz Shaw on December 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM