Boehner: These conservative groups who are objecting to the budget deal are “ridiculous”

posted at 1:54 pm on December 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, between this and Mitch McConnell’s allies trying to blacklist allies of the Senate Conservatives Fund, I’d say the battle between the GOP leadership and righty PACs is now fully joined.

I think it’s silly to try to analyze whether a deal that would reduce the deficit by just $28 billion — over 10 years — is “good” or “bad.” When the stakes are that small, heated arguments over whether it’s a step in the right or wrong direction are like challenging the spot on a one-yard run when it’s third and long and you’re pinned at your own 10-yard line. Who cares? Every inch matters, I guess, but the odds of scoring on the drive will barely change if the spot’s three inches one way or the other. What this deal really is for leadership is the Shutdown Prevention Act of 2013. They’re terrified that if there’s another budget standoff next month and the government goes unfunded again, all of the anti-ObamaCare momentum that the GOP has built up against Democrats right now will disintegrate. Avoiding that is their top priority, so they agreed to swap policy gains for political ones: In return for the GOP agreeing to undo some sequester cuts and accept certain “user fees” (a.k.a. taxes), Democrats agreed to some very modest entitlement savings in the distant future and, more importantly, to funding the government so that Republicans can’t be demagogued during another shutdown.

If you want a more thoughtful take than that, try Yuval Levin, who thinks this was a not-entirely-terrible bargain by Republicans under unfavorable circumstances, or Phil Klein, who thinks it was indeed pretty terrible. Levin’s argument, boiled down, is simple: You’re not going to get anything meaningful done with Democrats in power so make sure at least to avoid a shutdown and bank whatever mandatory spending cuts you can, if only to set a precedent. Klein’s argument is also simple: If it’s setting precedents we’re worried about, how about the precedent of undoing sequester cuts now for vaporous entitlement cuts circa 2022 that might never happen? Fair points in both cases, but again, it’s because the stakes are so small that the deal needs to be analyzed in terms of its symbolic value. E.g., would GOP leaders rather agree to a bad deal on spending that takes the shutdown option away from tea partiers or hold out for a better deal on spending that leaves tea partiers with leverage? Whom do they fear most?

Which raises another question, as framed by Ben Domenech on Twitter this afternoon: If you’re Boehner and you know your base is going to dislike the terms here, why antagonize them by sneering at how “ridiculous” conservative PAC opposition is? Noah Rothman from Mediaite countered that maybe that’s deliberate by Boehner, to signal to independents who have warmed to the GOP in the aftermath of the O-Care meltdown that the party hasn’t been captured by tea partiers. Could be, but the nastier leadership gets, the greater the risk that tea-party conservatives in the House will revolt against the deal. (They already seem to be leaning that way.) That’s not fatal to Boehner — obviously, a bipartisan compromise is designed to pass with Democratic votes too — but some liberals will walk here because of the mandatory spending cuts later. The more upset there is in the GOP caucus, the greater the risk that the whole thing implodes. Where that leaves Boehner — and Paul Ryan — if it does, I don’t know.

Exit question via Matt Lewis: Did the failure of the “defund” effort make this deal possible? You only get one shot at a shutdown, realistically, before centrist Republicans decide they’re not going to be dragged along on another wild ride that risks further damaging the party’s brand. Between their weariness at the thought of another shutdown next month and everyone wanting to get home for Christmas, Boehner will probably have more support than we think.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’m glad I invested in long arms. We’re going broke.

I’ll need them for small game,, rabbits, squirrels and such.

I’m a bad shot. That’s why I need 30 round mags and the best optics money can buy.

Sometimes I run ten rounds, and go down range and there’s only one bullet hole dead center. The other 9 must have missed.

I’m not going to starve to save any politicians hide. I’ve got 5 years of ramen noodles behind me buyibg those long arms to cover my own arse.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM

A 5 round, bolt action Mosin-Nagant, Mojo Microsights and 880 rounds of ammo will set you back under $400. The ammo and sights cost more than the gun does, but its nice and accurate and will take down anything alive in North America. 7.62 x 54r did not run out during the ammo run, I could still find spam cans of it on the cheap. And with good, old fashioned iron sights, when the country goes to pot you don’t have to worry about batteries.

Heck go in for one of those newfangled Timney Triggers and that will cost you about what the ammo does and get you a nice clean breaking trigger instead of one that breaks the way your great-grandfather used to know. Maybe he got one from the Czarist forces!

The high priced stuff is personnel protection…if you gotta take it down with one shot, bolt action is the way to go.

ajacksonian on December 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

if you gotta take it down with one shot, bolt action is the way to go. ajacksonian on December 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

.270 Win. With 6.5×20,, 50 mm.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM

bayam on December 11, 2013

…why are you braying again?

KOOLAID2 on December 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

ajacksonian on December 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I’m shocked at your pretension! /

Rovin on December 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I’m still on the “Vote Republican, B!tch Loudly and Constantly” plan.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM

The GOP needs to be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Panther on December 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM

That’s. A. Fact. Jack!!!

AH_C on December 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM

.270 Win. With 6.5×20,, 50 mm.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Good deal! I just recommend the cheap way for those who want a good shooter on a low budget. The M44 makes a nice scout rifle for the extra $50-60, shorter and a bit easier to swing around.

Now if you want one of those Finn accuratized versions… well… I’ve seen them low end at $230 to $250. Some of those were used in the Winter War against the Soviets who found out just how good their own guns were in capable hands.

I’m shocked at your pretension! /

Rovin on December 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Just doing my best to help people get through hard times on the cheap!

Still hours left to stock up before the economy crashes.

Then its Progressive season, and there is no catch limit, either.

ajacksonian on December 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I’m still on the “Vote Republican, B!tch Loudly and Constantly” plan.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I can live with that

The GOP needs to be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Panther on December 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Right after democrats. all of them.

WryTrvllr on December 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Boehner is once again betraying the people.

The GOP is dead, the two parties are the same now.

KMC1 on December 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM

270 Win. With 6.5×20,, 50 mm. wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I like setting the range to infinity and checking out craters on the moon.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Right after democrats. all of them.

WryTrvllr on December 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM

+ 100..Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on December 11, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Jt’s a cheap assed Mossberg 100 ATR,, and it drives tacks.
My preference is Savage 110′s.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I like setting the range to infinity and checking out craters on the moon.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I like looking through that little peephole and seeing the target clear as the day and fog allows… I’m really coming around to the idea that whiz-bang electronic sights are nice and all, but if you got long term survival in mind, then messing with batteries is just one headache more. Too bad the good 19th century sights cost so much. Although the top Finn sniper did take out more Russians than they cared to admit and were sending squads of men after him. All with stock sights, and he turned down lovely optics because he said the glass in them would freeze hard and fog over, which 40 below will do to glass.

Can’t go wrong at 880 rounds for $170.

Didn’t realize that the Mojo people made them for the SKS! Time for another upgrade.

ajacksonian on December 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I think it’s time to really give you something to cry about Boehner.

F_This on December 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM

The eotech 512 has a pop up peep behind it. On the rail. In case that and the laser designator die.

Not on the .270. I use that on the short barrel AR. But can switch out to a 20″ Heavy barrel, 4x scope with a Harris bipod.

You know,, for killing small varmints and such. Rabbits and squirrel.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Some of the comments here are shining examples of what bothers me about modern electoral politics.

If you sit it out, you’re helping the progressives!

This assumes the false dichotomy of Democrats = Progressives == Republicans = Not-Progressives. In the face of mounting evidence, many Republican voters choose to ignore that evidence wholesale and keep right on voting progressive Republicans like John McCain, Marco Rubio, and John Boner Boehner right back into office. Over and over and over again.

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

The thing about 3 levels of sighting on one squirrel gun,, is that you can tune them to each other.

If one strays.. you can dial it in with the other two. Ore even one.

Patti Murphy budget. That can’t be good.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM

has boehner ever accused obama of using the American people to achieve his own goals?

man you really get these rinos frothing when there attacking conservatives.

renalin on December 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Let’s also give credit where credit is due. The ‘unpatriotic’ George W. Bush inherited a national debt of $5.6B – about 34% of GDP. When he left office, the national debt was $10.25B. Dubya added just under $5B to the national debt in 8 years.

Athos on December 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Not that I agree with Bush’s policies and the reasons GOP has lost control due to them, but you forgot that Bush inherited a bad economy PLUS 9/11 and still, by the end of his tenure, even with Progs in full control of Congress AND TARP 1 pushed down his throat by the Fed (and manufactured crisis that led to TARP 1), he still left only $460B deficit in 2008. About a $$$ TRILLION LESS than we got with Hussein in 2009.

Let’s not compare Bush and Hussein again, no point and no reason.

riddick on December 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

And the alternative is more Nancy Pelosissssssss? How far to the left are you prepared to go, to prove you’re right?

Rovin on December 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I’m still on the “Vote Republican, B!tch Loudly and Constantly” plan.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM

GOP candidate for mayor is off the rails in trying to ingratiate himself to statists, leftists, and the media. I am about 90% certain that I will be voting for a Democrat for the first time in my life.

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Too bad so many so called self professed “analysts” miss that point. No difference between McLaim, Graham, Boehner, Rubio, Ryan, Ayotte and a good number of others and Pelosi/Reid. Maybe a smidgen, but not that much in the end.

Ayotte and Rubio are prime examples of usurping and LYING to TEA Party to get elected and then quickly making a left turn. Not that there aren’t others.

riddick on December 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Rovin on December 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM

How far left are you willing to go?

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

You know,, for killing small varmints and such. Rabbits and squirrel.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I got a Marlin 60 for that plus a set of the TechSights on it, which help a lot. 22lr has just enough to bring down small stuff without leaving you pre-made full-body hamburger. Lightweight and one of the best selling guns in the US because of its price-point and longevity… you can’t accessorize it all that much, so it gets turned up noses for that. But if you use BUI on an AR-15 or any other modern iron mil sights, then the TechSights are an easy fit. Right after doomsday you will still be able to get parts for the M1911, AR15, Rem870, Mossberg 500, and Marlin 60. I’m at 4/5 on that list, so not bad.

The laser designator for me is for things that go bump in the night, and they get to hear a lovely slide on a 12ga. Or the soft glide of the bolt going home on the flat shooting Skorpion…when you can draw a straight line across a target at 20 yards pulling the trigger as fast as you humanly can, you know you got something there. Point, shoot, repeat, nice line. Can’t accessorize it and the only thing I’ve seen requires a mount that isn’t exported to the US for putting on a holosight or anything else that fits on a pistol rail, but you sacrifice the forward sight for it. Since the sights on it were good enough for the Czechs so its good enough for me.

ajacksonian on December 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Eventually even people as stupid as those running the Republican Party will realize that statist Republicans don’t win elections. Won’t they?

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

This should piss everyone …

dforston on December 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Why exactly are we doing this instead of a “clean” CR??

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Monkey,
I understand your pain, but your conclusion is not correct. Sitting out and letting the Dems win will only serve to push Boehner and company further left. They will not come running back to you for your vote.
It is time to support conservatives and conservative positions. If we lose fighting, so be it.
Giving up is a bad idea, unless there is somewhere to go from the U.S.A.
kpguru on December 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Agreed, but speaking for myself I am limiting my support only to conservatives who are fighting for conservative positions I believe in. I held my nose and voted for McCain and Romney both, and I’m done with that. Win or lose I am not going to waste my vote on the lessor of two evils anymore (especially since they keep losing anyway!) If this party is suicidal enough to nominate a Chris Christie or Marco Rubio in 2016, they can lose without my help this time.

Shadow on December 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

How far left are you willing to go?

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Rovin on December 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Gotta go… pretty much wiped after the final push to get my router table up and operational.

I don’t vote for a party, but good people… and its been over a decade since I voted for a Democrat. I have and will vote for decent 3rd party or independent candidates… yes they usually lose, but I can’t say that the others in the main party weren’t also losers in ethics, morals or just plain old basic math.

ajacksonian on December 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM

How far to the left are you prepared to go, to prove you’re right? Rovin on December 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Speaking only for myself,, clean up to digging foxholes and trenchlines. After 100 years of prog advances,, we’ll get there sooner or later.

What do you seek to accomplish? Staving it off a few more years?

What if they get stronger? Not with the populace. But power in general?

It’s what they are doing. Concentrating power. It won’t matter what we think.

Let the masses see it for what it is.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I’m still on the “Vote Republican, B!tch Loudly and Constantly” plan.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Here in NV I see no reason to vote next year. My choices are Dems, a bad lot, or Sandoval and Co, self appointed GOP, who were more than happy to vote on a huge tax increase this year as well as extending a so called temp taxes that were supposed to expire years ago. So, lose/lose in either case with Sandoval happily signing for more and new taxes, HusseinCare, driving licenses for illegals, gay marriage, more money for unions and coming TAX BY MILE TRAVELED coming to us by 2015 session.

If Niger Innis runs, I will vote for him, but that’s about it.

“Conservatives” here in NV still tell me that Angle is crazy, so that makes Reid a sane choice for them. We can all thank these deep thinkers for Reid running the show these days. Deep, deep DISGUST can’t even describe my feelings towards these idiots.

But this sums up NV choices for me. Looking towards TX move at this point and should have done that 2 years ago to begin with on the way out of GULAG.

riddick on December 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Monkey,
Giving up is a bad idea, unless there is somewhere to go from the U.S.A.
kpguru on December 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I’m with Monkey on this.

Voting for the GOP as a group simply does exactly nothing – it only reinforces their mindset (which they’ve obtained from decades of us doing this) that they can do whatever they want, and conservatives will vote for them anyway.

Voting for them anyway – again – will not change that.

Only making them painfully aware that this ‘status quo’ is no longer valid will make them change their mindset.

Midas on December 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM

At least I’m going to the polls to vote for every representative that echoes my values. Unlike some here. Rovin on December 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Yea,, that’s what I thought I was doing when I voted for jeff flake here in AZ.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM

What dforsten linked to: Ryan is helping Harry Reid gut hte filibuster further:

Senate Republicans scrubbing the Ryan-Murray budget deal have come across a little-noticed provision that will limit the GOP’s ability to block tax increases in future years.

The bill includes language from the Senate Democrats’ budget to void a budget “point of order” against replacing the sequester cuts with tax increases.

The process is quite complicated, but in practice it grants Harry Reid the authority to send tax increases to the House with a bare majority, rather than the 60 vote threshold that would be required under the point of order.

The provision has angered key Republican Senators. Reeling from Harry Reid’s unprecedented use of the “nuclear option” to end the filibuster on presidential nominations, they are incredulous that Paul Ryan would have backed another limit to their power.

“This is an appalling power grab that should never have been allowed to be in a final agreement. It’s essentially the ‘nuclear option’ part two, eroding minority rights in the Senate even further. Harry Reid must be very happy,” a Senate GOP aide says.

A House aide says Reid can send tax bills to the House all he wants, since they will never fly in the lower chamber. “House Republicans would never approve a tax increase,” he says.

While the point is true, the change will likely give Reid a potent political cudgel with which to hit Republicans over, since passage of a bill can put pressure on the other chamber to follow suit.

In the Ryan-Murray bill, the change is found on 17-18 in the legislative text, where the bill sets up a “deficit neutral reserve fund” and incorporates 57 individual sections of the Senate Democrats’ budget as having “force and effect.”

These provisions are a big loophole for Paygo rules that give senators the authority to raise a point of order on spending and tax bills, setting a 60 vote threshold. There is a detailed explanation for the process in this 2009 document from then-Senator Judd Gregg’s staff when he was Budget Committee ranking member.

Although the (current) Senate rules generally require 60 votes for passage of a bill, a bill can be amended after cloture has been achieved. In the case of the fall shutdown fight, Republicans helped provide the 60 votes to obtain cloture on the CR, after which Reid took out the defunding Obamacare provision and passed the bill with a bare majority.

Under normal rules, even after cloture had been achieved, any amendment would still be subject to a point of order and 60 vote threshold if it “pays for” spending increases by raising taxes. The Ryan-Murray deal waives that point of order in many cases, prompting the fear that Reid will use it to put political pressure on the House to replace the sequester with new taxes.

Unbelievable.

Wethal on December 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM

What’s the world coming to when they won’t even pretend?

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Don’t know..But I think the main strategy by the GOP here is to keep Obiecare at the top of the News..All the stories on it are so bad and horrible for the Democrats..The LSM and Obie would love to have a budget battle right now..Knocks all the very bad Obiecare stories off the top of news chain..:)

PS..Remember the GOP has made a dramatic (Charlie Cook) turnaround since Obiecare has become the main item..:)

Dire Straits on December 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My preference is Savage 110′s.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I added a Timney trigger group and a custom stock to my 110…it’s a shooter. Savage is my go-to reasonably priced bolt rifle.

Doomsday on December 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Wethal on December 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Serious ???..The Ryan-Murray bill still will require the 60 vote cloture to stop debate right??..:)

Dire Straits on December 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM

By the way, the man calling the groups who object to this budget deal ‘ridiculous’ is that same man who has burst into tears when talking about his own story in public, who has been hosed publicly by the President after cuddling up to him politically, and who has appeared intoxicated in public on numerous occasions.

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I like squirrels and rabbits. Quail, dove. There is no other reason to own holographic optics and laser sights.

I called her patti murphy. Murray. Whatever.

Just another prog.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Dire Straits on December 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Not sure, but one by one, the cloture rules are falling. And with this one, the Dems got GOP “leadership” help. (Although I doubt McConnell signed off on this one.)

Wethal on December 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Dire Straits on December 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Wethal on December 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Don’t be surprised when, with the collusion of House Republicans, Reid and company use gimmicks like this to pass AMNESTY… just as they used procedural gimmicks relating to the budget to pass Obamacare.

They theorize that the newly minted legal aliens will pay taxes and sign up for Obamacare. They’ve already tried to put it about that AMNESTY will save Obamacare, Social Security, Medicare, and the extra tax revenue would pay off the deficit. All of it is nonsense and magical thinking. People who are handsomely rewarded for shattering federal law and any state and local laws they find inconvenient aren’t likely to suddenly develop a heart respect for the law and become upright tax paying residents.

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM

heart…hearty

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2013 at 9:37 PM

According to Ace, the bill will allow taxes to be raised on a simple minority in the Senate.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM

…Bonehead…STFU!

KOOLAID2 on December 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM

If the Republicans had not made this deal we are faced with the current CR expiring in early 2014, an election year. Republicans have exactly ZERO leverage to get Harry Reid and Senate Democrats to agree on spending cuts. The only thing the House would be able to do is shut the government down again.

The majority of the American people do not support shutting the government down. The result of that would be one of two possibilities: A. With their public support plummeting in an election year, they finally cave in. or B. They don’t cave in, keep the government shut down until election day and are then thrown out of office and the Democrats take both houses turning the spigots on for a massive wave of spending with Obama in power.

This deal was actually BETTER than I was expecting to see.

crosspatch on December 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Why exactly are we doing this instead of a “clean” CR??

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Because the Dems wouldn’t agree to a clean CR. So of course the Stupid Party caved….again.

And both the Dems and the GOP elite wanted to kick the budget can down the road past the 2014 election.

And the GOP elite may have decided that Paul Ryan is the flavor of the month for 2016, and neede some face time on TV.

Wethal on December 11, 2013 at 9:49 PM

WryTrvllr on December 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Before you give me your seal of approval, if I can help get rid of some establishment for a conservative, I’m going to try.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM

When we go broke,, maybe I’ll hunt poodles and kittys.

And we are going broke. In my lifetime.

Got a laserstock and 4x illuminated reticle on the Ruger 1022. great for low light shots.
I like the iron sights too. But that red dot is where it hits.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM

When we go broke,, maybe I’ll hunt poodles and kittys.

And we are going broke. In my lifetime.

I like the iron sights too. But that red dot is where it hits.

wolly4321 on December 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Screw that noise. Hunt liberals. Taste like chicken.

RovesChins on December 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Screw that noise. Hunt liberals. Taste like chicken.

RovesChins on December 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

*Greasy* chicken, at best. More like greasy polecat.

Midas on December 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Why exactly are we doing this instead of a “clean” CR??

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Wethal on December 11, 2013 at 9:49 PM

All in the name of “live to fight another day”, or something similarly squishy.

Midas on December 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM

(Although I doubt McConnell signed off on this one.)

Wethal on December 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Maybe this is one of the reasons why McConnell does not like the bill..I see your point but if “cloture” still has 60 threshold..Then you would still have to get 60 to stop debate..:)

Dire Straits on December 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM

House Republicans “capitulated” in agreeing to the two-year budget deal reached last night and left the country to deal with an unsustainable fiscal situation until the peak of the presidential primaries in 2015, when nothing will get done, former federal budget director David Stockman told CNBC on Wednesday.

“First, let’s be clear—it’s a joke and betrayal,” Stockman, who served under President Ronald Reagan, said on “Squawk on the Street.” “It’s the final surrender of the House Republican leadership to Beltway politics and kicking the can and ignoring the budget monster that’s hurtling down the road.”

Stockman added that the budget deal means lawmakers would take a “two-year vacation” from dealing with the country’s fiscal situation and revisit it in 2015 at around the same time as the Iowa straw polls. Without an incumbent in the presidential race, both political parties will be too busy to touch the budget, he said

Stockmam, former federal budget director says this ‘deal’ is a final surrender to Beltway politics.

Our political class in action. Reigning… not representing.

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM

McConnell’s just playing; he’s said, i believe, that he doesn’t want to stand in the way of the deal, but he’ll vote against it because there’s enough votes to make it happen *and* give him a fig leaf of a fake vote.

Midas on December 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I do not trust Dingy Harry at all..:)

Dire Straits on December 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

How did we get to $17 trillion budget deficit? Because Boehner, like the DemoRats see nothing wrong with over spending. After all, it’s not his money & he can agree to raise fees & taxes just as good as the Lefties.

RdLake on December 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM

crosspatch on December 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM

You make very good points..The House GOP sees it along those lines also..:)

Dire Straits on December 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Dire Straits on December 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Good evening, Dire. :)

Neither do I, and I don’t trust the Republicans, either, particularly on AMNESTY and OBAMACARE.

Never let anyone tell you that you weren’t absolutely right about that GOPe betrayal thing all along.

thatsafactjack on December 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Don’t worry!! We can fix this at the ballot box!!

JAGonzo on December 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Seriously, is that all you got, Bonehead? Why not throw in the tea bagger are racist while you’re at it. You’re not too well thought of around here and this is not helping.

Kissmygrits on December 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM

crosspatch on December 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM

You’re not making any sense. CRs are better than this budget deal and they could keep doing that through 2014 just like they have been doing. I don’t like it, but sequester is the best Republicans are going to get and they already have it, but are going to give it away.

Wigglesworth on December 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Dire Straits on December 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM

A clean CR would have been a better deal so CrossPatch isn’t making a good point.

Wigglesworth on December 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Vichy Republicans.

kingsjester on December 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Boehner is verging on being incoherent.

It is a non-goal to have Boehner and McConnell in charge. All they would do is create more own-goals. This leadership is seriously damaged and it’s not important that their positions be preserved.

So, Boehner, what are these “purposes” that you say are “ridiculous”? Cutting spending? Reining in federal power? Controlling the administration from becoming a tyranny? You are doing nothing in this regards.

virgo on December 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

No real respect for Boehner or McConnell, but I think this deal was the best available now. If the voters supported a shutdown, that would be one thing, but they don’t. It would be a shame to throw away the advantage the Obamacare debacle has given us. Stupid of Boehner to go around insulting fellow Republicans, though.

tngmv on December 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Wethal on December 11, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I KNEW that a clean CR was the best that we could possibly hope for from this disastrous Republican Party. Which is why I begged for it in October. But no – the statist GOP had other plans – to raise spending and taxes.

besser tot als rot on December 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM

The Royal Screwing of the American people continues.

So over these Republicans. They obviously see the writing on the wall and are going to protect themselves. Tell me that there aren’t individuals behind the scenes pulling the strings. And so many of us sheeple want to keep bantering on about traditional Dem vs. Repub politics. This perceived battle is for show-it doesn’t exist.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 12, 2013 at 4:42 AM

The Republican Party hates its base, as you can tell from the fact that it does nothing for it. Its loyalty is to its big financial backers, who are people like Sheldon Adelson, who says he is a social liberal.

When “your” party is bought and paid for by people who are opposed to your fundamental values, it’s not “your” party.

Boehner is trying to rule opposition from the right out of bounds as basically illegitimate. That is what this “ridiculous” remark is for.

David Blue on December 12, 2013 at 5:51 AM

The Mid-Term Elections of 2014 are on their way to looking like the opening Battle Scenes in the movie “Gladiator” with Russell Crowe. And guess what, Speaker Boehner? You ain’t Maximus and your fellowVichy Republicans aren’t the victorious Roman Legionnaires.

My take.

kingsjester on December 12, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Giving up is a bad idea, unless there is somewhere to go from the U.S.A.
kpguru on December 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM

You did not understand my comment then. I never said to give up. I am talking about a strategic action.

If the GOP moves left after we sit out – then we know it is time to start work on a 3rd party.

Really – how much further can the GOP move?

You people who believe voting for the GOP will magically make them conservative are delusional.

In all reality – what else do you need the GOP to do before you wake up?

Boehner is attacking conservatives. McConnell is attacking conservatives. Both leaders of the GOP in the house and senate are saying conservatives are bad.

Both Boehner and McConnell have publicly stated that their plan is not really to repeal Obamacare but to “fix” it.

Both have said they want to pass amnesty. this is the leadership of the GOP – which means that is the GOP position.

The Ryan tax plan shows where the GOP is on spending / taxing.

the GOP has never reduced the size or scope of Gov’t and never reduced spending.

Yet, you all believe that voting GOP is furthering conservatism in some way?

Is that not delusional? Seriously.

Someone explain to me how voting GOP helps further conservatism (and do so without using the phrase “but the democrats will win”).

I’m not saying stop voting for all eternity. I saying go on strike to make the GOP realize the error of its ways.

Yes, there is a possibility that the GOP will decide “screw it, were just giving up on conservatives and moving further left”. But that just proves my point. If that is the GOP’s default position anyway, we are never going to get them to move right no matter what we do.

In which case, what exactly are we accomplishing by voting GOP (aside, of course, the tribal “victory” of a person with an “R” next to their name winning an election)?

Monkeytoe on December 12, 2013 at 8:04 AM

This, is not a tactic……..it’s pure lunacy.

Rovin on December 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM

You keep making unsupported assertions. You have yet to make on cogent argument.

You are not a seriousness person.

Monkeytoe on December 12, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Hey, let’s throw in the towel. Tune out, drop out, quit, surrender, what ever it takes to destroy these phony conservatives.

Stay home, and help a progressive!

Rovin on December 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Explain to me exactly how the GOP is a conservative party again.

I have challenged you across multiple threads to cite me the major conservative victories that the GOP has accomplished.

the silence is deafening.

And yet, you continue with this asinine line of attack (note – its not an argument).

You are starting from the false premise that the GOP is conservative and that voting for the GOP furthers conservatism.

I have set forth an argument showing that is not true. If you cant refute my argument (outside of the silly “but if we don’t vote for an “r” a “d” will win” statement) do so. Point out how voting “r” furthers conservatism. How the republicans have reduced spending or reduced the size and scope of gov’t. Give examples.

Simply saying “if we sit out, the democrats will win” really doesn’t refute my argument. Indeed, my point is that if the GOP loses because conservatives sit out, they will have to make a choice – move left or move right. Since they can’t move much farther left without simply becoming democrats, I’m betting they move right.

So, you see, the strategy actually expects republicans to lose. So your “argument” that if we sit out, republicans will lose is kind of part of the whole plan. Which makes your “argument” silly at best.

I really wish conservatives weren’t so tribal – thinking in terms of only the next election and whether or not an “r” wins. think bigger. Think strategically for conservatism, not for the republican party. The republican party and conservatism are not the same thing. Why do you not understand that?

Monkeytoe on December 12, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Let’s try and put this another way.

I understand that the idea of sitting out is difficult.

There are a number of arguments against it, which are:

1. But then the democrats will win. So? The democrats might win again anyway, if not this election, then the next election or the next. Meanwhile, the GOP if it wins, does nothing to further conservatism but instead helps to cement the gains that the left has made – that is always what happens. The GOP is the left’s tax collector.

This mid-term is the perfect opportunity to deliver a message. for a number of reasons. A) the GOP believes it is going to make big gains based on the public mood. Therefore, losses because of conservative defections will be much more noticable and harder for the GOP to ignore; B) even if the GOP wins the Senate, it isn’t going to be able to repeal Obamacare (as if it would really try anyway) because Obama is still president.

2. We don’t need to sit out – we need to just vote for conservative candidates in the GOP. I have addressed this multiple times in other comments in this thread and others. Suffice it to say that while this is a reasonable tactic, it is ineffective. We have been doing this for 30 years. It has not accomplished moving the GOP right. It will eventually, but by the time it does – say 50 years or so – too much damage will have been done to repair, plus we’ll all be really old or dead.

I just don’t see where doing what we have always done makes sense anymore.

Monkeytoe on December 12, 2013 at 8:31 AM

It is getting harder and harder to tell the difference between the GOP and Republicans, between Pelosi / Reid and Boehner. Yesterday, when told some groups oppose the new Budget bill Republicans worked with Democrats to write and which they are now pushing, Boehner angrily exclaimed, “You mean the groups that have not even read the bill yet?” Hearing those first words from Speaker Boehner, I immediately had a flashback to Nancy Pelosi declaring to the American people, ‘You must wait until we pass the bill to find out what is in the bill.’ We all remember how that turned out. What Boehner did NOT KNOW was that details of the bill had already leaked out to the public, and they/we knew a lot more than he thought they/we did.

Boehner immediately followed up by declaring, “These groups are using OUR people for their own interests.” Wow…where do I begin?

1) “These groups are using OUR people…”
Spoken like a complete Washington Establishment ‘tool’! The members of the House of Representatives, Republicans in either the House or Senate, are NOT ‘YOUR’ people. They are elected representatives who are sent to Washington to represent those who elected them. Their job is not to go to Washington and be ‘assimilated’ into the ‘GOP Collective’ as if they were becoming members of the ‘Borg’. Your comments demonstrate this is EXACTLY what you believe happens.

2) “…using our people…”
Expecting our elected officials to represent us and letting our representatives know what we – the people who elected them and whom they are supposed to represent – prefer / want is not ‘USING’ anyone. ‘USING’ people is what POLITICIANS do to Americans. It is how you people get RICH, how you get the benefits you have that no other Americans can have, how you get Americans burdened with oppressive laws like Obamacare to pay up to 70& of YOUR health care premiums as well as our own.

You, pompous, elitist, Washington Establishment a$$ – your comments reflect 1 of the reasons WHY YOU HAVE TO GO!

easyt65 on December 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I don’t think John Boehner understands the concept of a “charm offensive”.

Yer doin’ it wrong, JB.

dissent555 on December 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Paying our bills is “ridiculous”? Racking up more debt and deficits puts us on the right track?? Why is this dork our speaker???

Dollayo on December 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM