Ryan and Murray announce budget deal

posted at 10:01 pm on December 10, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

The basics:

—Brokered by Rep. Paul Ryan and Sen. Patty Murray, it’s an attempt to get back to some kind of normal order budget process

—Two-year deal, would avert government shut-down Jan. 15 but not deal with debt limit

—Spares $63 billion in sequestration cuts scheduled for January

—Allows overall projected spending to go up from $967 billion to a little over $1 trillion

$85 billion of total savings

—$23 billion in net deficit reduction

The “sequestration relief,” which America is not clamoring for is brought to you by raising “fees,” which is pretty much just another word for taxes:

But higher fees would generate as much as $65 billion to replace the unpopular cuts in military and domestic spending mandated under the budget-trimming sequester. Those cuts are set to take effect in mid-January.

Details of the fee hikes remain under wraps, but lawmakers have considered increasing fees on airline tickets and new mortgages, raising insurance premiums for pension funds and requiring federal civilian employees to contribute more toward their retirement.

Pension trimming is spooking liberals:

A new budget deal that will be debated by the U.S. Congress in the coming days would trim some military spending as well as outlays for federal workers’ retirement programs, Senate Budget Committee chief Patty Murray said on Tuesday.

The deal would cut $12 billion from the two accounts, the Democratic senator said.

Ryan:

“This bill reduces the deficit by $23 billion, it does not raise taxes, and it cuts spending in a smarter way,” Ryan said at Tuesday night press conference. “I see this agreement as a step in the right direction.”

“I’m proud of this agreement,” Ryan added. “It reduces the deficit—without raising taxes. And it cuts spending in a smarter way. It’s a firm step in the right direction, and I ask all my colleagues in the House to support it.”

Murray:

“This agreement breaks through the recent dysfunction to prevent another government shutdown and roll back sequestration’s cuts to defense and domestic investments in a balanced way,” said Murray. “It’s a good step in the right direction that can hopefully rebuild some trust and serve as a foundation for continued bipartisan work.”

They’re both hailing it as a starting point. Conservatives are wary of fee hikes and erasing sequestration. Democrats are wary of any bill that requires anyone to pitch in more for their pensions and doesn’t include an extension of unemployment benefits (right now, this does not).

Obama:

“This agreement doesn’t include everything I’d like – and I know many Republicans feel the same way. That’s the nature of compromise,” Obama said. “But it’s a good sign that Democrats and Republicans in Congress were able to come together and break the cycle of short-sighted, crisis-driven decision-making to get this done.”

Party leaders on both sides of the Capitol, including House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) and Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) also issued statements backing the deal.

Heritage Action:

“Heritage Action cannot support a budget deal that would increase spending in the near-term for promises of woefully inadequate long-term reductions,” the organization said in a statement.

“While imperfect, the sequester has proven to be an effective tool in forcing Congress to reduce discretionary spending, and a gimmicky, spend-now-cut-later deal will take our nation in the wrong direction.”

Americans for Prosperity:

Americans for Prosperity, which supports cutting taxes and government spending, called on congressional Republicans to “stand firm” in upholding a second round of across-the-board automatic spending cuts, which are scheduled to start in January.

“Otherwise, congressional Republicans are joining liberal Democrats in breaking their word to the American people to finally begin reining in government over-spending that has left us over $17 trillion in debt,” said AFP President Tim Phillips.

I’m with those House conservatives who wonder why we’re doing away with sequestration, which while not an ideal way to make cuts, is already law, and actually cut spending in a way none of these deals ever do. We’re in the minority, but that was already on the books. It didn’t need to be negotiated.

Exit quotation: “It’s hard to see how conservatives support it,” he said. “The question is, how angry will they get?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ryan is NOT going to enjoy my response to his next fundraising email.

Not one little bit.

bishop?

PolAgnostic on December 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Coming soon to a Hot Air post:

Representatives Ryan and Guitterez announce immigration deal with Senators Schumer and McCain.

Because, according to Paul Ryan, criminaliens are actually just ‘undocumented Americans,’ which is exactly what the entire Congressional Progressive Caucus believes.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Dealing with the devil…

OmahaConservative on December 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Brokered by Rep. Paul Ryan

…He’s been brokered alright!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Wow, and people were totally giddy about Ryan as VP. Yikes.

SouthernGent on December 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

The Devil In Harry Reid using nation’s economy and debt to harass the Right. Forget the nation, just harass the Right.

Lourdes on December 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Why does everything these damned politicians do just fricking benefit themdamnselves!!

I am so sick of the fricking lot of them…

SICK I TELL YA!

Scrumpy on December 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Wow, and people were totally giddy about Ryan as VP. Yikes.

SouthernGent on December 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

The important aspect is that they aren’t any longer.

Lourdes on December 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

SouthernGent on December 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Ryan effing lied as they ALL will in the end.

The Fat Lady is coming on stage left to sing…

Scrumpy on December 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I sure am glad I didn’t buy one of those Math T-shirts.

He’s a whiz/

MontanaMmmm on December 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I thought Ryan was supposed to be sooooo good at Math. Please. I’m blonde and know that when you subtract a bigger number from the number that you started with, you end up in the hole. This guy turned out to be an even bigger disappointment to me than Rubio did. Just what happens to our Conservative Sweethearts after being locked in a room with these doofuses? They all come back out of the room bumbling about compromise, sounding like McCain.

justjulie20 on December 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Obama:

…so…………………..you know we got screwed again!………..and I voted for this Gomer (Ryan) Pyle!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

A Poem by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream (deferred)?

Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore—
And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over—
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

Let the effing lot explode…

Scrumpy on December 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Resist We Much on December 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

The thing that is quite so offensive about that view (as you’ve described it and as it is), is that Congress is supposed to be THE LEGISLATIVE BRANCH.

Yet some in Congress push these “idiocy insults to legislation” notions such as that.

And they wonder why voters are intolerant of them by now.

When Congress “opines” and threatens deeds, acts, that offend and are utterly contrary to our nation’s laws (as summarized above by RWM), they prove the\y’re hostile to the role of Legislating Branch of govt.

Lourdes on December 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Coming soon to a Hot Air post:

Resist We Much on December 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I want RWM to be the next HotAir blogger.

And I never saw the “criminalien” term before. It’s right on.

bluegill on December 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Ryan wants to chirp about cutting the deficit $23 billion? That’s like cutting the household budget by doing nothing more than dropping HBO.

Bitter Clinger on December 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

OT:

TXUS on December 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I want RWM to be the next HotAir blogger.

And I never saw the “criminalien” term before. It’s right on.

bluegill on December 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

…I just got a poop stain… in my BVD’s!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM

MontanaMmmm on December 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Glad to see you back lately.

wolly4321 on December 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM

MontanaMmmm on December 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Glad to see you back lately.

wolly4321 on December 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM

…it is nice!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM

TXUS on December 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

(don’t) Stop it. You are making me homesick for CO.

egmont on December 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I want RWM to be the next HotAir blogger.

And I never saw the “criminalien” term before. It’s right on.

bluegill on December 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I concur, but I prefer the term “unlawfully residing foreign national”.

nobar on December 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I agree with what Mark Levin said when he interviewed Ryan on his show. He said it was “Mickey Mouse.”

TarheelBen on December 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM

wolly4321 on December 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM

MontanaMmmm on December 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Robbie Williams Come Undone

So unimpressed, but so in awe
Such a saint, but such a whore
So self-aware, so full of shit
So indecisive, so adamant
I’m contemplating, thinkin’ about thinkin’
It’s overrated, just get another drink and

Watch me come undone
They’re selling razor blades and mirrors in the street
I pray when I’m coming down, you’ll be asleep
If I ever hurt you, your revenge will be so sweet
Because I’m scum, and I’m your son
I come undone
I come undone

So rock ‘n’ roll, so corporate suit
So damn ugly, so damn cute
So well-trained, so animal
So need your love, so fvck you all
I’m not scared of dying, I just don’t want to
If I stop lying, I’ll just disappoint you

Come undone
They’re selling razor blades and mirrors in the street
Come undone
I pray when I’m coming down, you’ll be asleep
Come undone
If I ever hurt you, your revenge will be so sweet
Because I’m scum, and I’m your son
I come undone

So write another ballad, mix it on a Wednesday
Sell it on a Thursday buy a yacht on Saturday
It’s a love song, a love song
Do another interview, sing a bunch of lies
Tell about celebrities that I despise
And sing love songs, we sing love songs so sincere

So sincere

Come undone
They’re selling razor blades and mirrors in the street
Come undone
I pray when I’m coming down, you’ll be asleep
Come undone
The young pretend you’re in the clouds above the sea
I come undone
I am scum
Love your son
You’ve gotta love your son
Come undone
You’ve gotta love you son
Come undone

Love your son
I am scum
I am scum
I am scum
I am scum
I am scum
I am scum

Songwriters: WILLIAMS, ROBERT PETER / PIERRE, DANIEL / HAMILTON, ASHLEY GEORGE / OTTESTAD, PER KRISTIAN

Come Undone lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, EMI Music Publishing, FARRELL MUSIC LIMITED

Scrumpy on December 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

…it is nice!

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM

GOSH…blushing.

MontanaMmmm on December 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Wow, and people were totally giddy about Ryan as VP. Yikes.

SouthernGent on December 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

It’s become evident that Mitt Romney was the more conservative of the two.

Does Paul Ryan have any credibility any more?

bw222 on December 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Thx, Bluegill.

Resist We Much on December 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM

So glad I didn’t vote for mittness and his veep Ryan. Imagine the screwing we would have under their banner from the right. And true to form, the dems would continue to bash them even as Team Mittness diligently did the progressive’s work. Nothing but conservative candidates for me. I knew Ryan was a fish based on past actions and inability to articulate conservative principles, his grand plan for entitlements notwithstanding. Even a libturd can be right on a policy every once in a while and totally wrong about everything else.

AH_C on December 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Tyranny: Defined

Resist We Much on December 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Scrumpy on December 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Dedicated to ALL the lying political scumbags…

Scrumpy on December 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Dedicated to ALL the lying political scumbags…

Scrumpy on December 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM

^5 Scrump

bazil9 on December 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Paul Ryan is Rubio’d……

d1carter on December 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM

In case anyone missed this.
h/t Schad.

bazil9 on December 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

: Nothing like being at the ranch on a shiver-cold night, fireplace blazing, all of us boys and even some of the gals half-drunk and watching a fashion show on the big flat-screen. You might just call us “cosmopolitan cowboys.” Yes, we enjoy the very best in fashion, when it comes with a secret. ;-) TXUS on December 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Ummm? Cosmopolitan?

Just sounds wierd.

wolly4321 on December 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Palin knew what she was doing in not openly supporting Rino Sr / Rino Jr…

ChuckTX on December 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Paul Ryan should stick to posing for those goofy working photos.

Just vote every single incumbent out in 2014.

tetriskid on December 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM

justjulie20 on December 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Understand your disappointment and pissed-off-edness, but this is all about the 2014 elections. Obamacare and Obama and the Iran thing are decimating and will continue to decimate the Ds come the mid-term elections. Ryan’s deal is about killing the possibility that Obama could somehow have an issue, a government shutdown threat or actuality, to reverse their death spiral. It’s a short-term strategy. When your opponent is drowning, don’t throw him a rope.

While I certainly have my issues with Ryan, particularly on illegal immigration/amnesty, I agree with this approach. We’ve got to take the Senate next year, or game over.

TXUS on December 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM

justjulie20 on December 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

What happens is when someone like Ryan becomes a “major player” his “cut” goes way, way, WAY UP!

If you want to play nice, you can define “cut” as the direct access to the GOPe Donor Class and the millions in campaign financing they unswervingly supply to those leaders who unfailing pursue the GOPe Donor Class’ agenda (e.g. immigration ‘reform’, Obamacare, BIG government which now aligns with Crony Capitalism).

He has sold his soul to the GOPe Donor Class.

If you were to take a less nice and more cynical view …

PolAgnostic on December 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM

wolly4321 on December 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

We’re watching the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, homey. Which is very cosmopolitan for us knuckle draggers.

TXUS on December 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Don’t put all the blame on Ryan here. He went into this negotiation in a weak position because he didn’t have 218 votes to pass a CR that kept spending at sequester levels. You can blame this on Republicans who don’t support the sequester because of the defense cuts.

Mark1971 on December 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Pathetic. We know that the Senate will helicopter in all sorts of budget busters into the “compromise.” Two years, eh? Just in time for the next presidential election?

If Ryan cannot out-negotiate Patty “Dumb Belle” Murray and get more concessions, the crash is imminent.

O/T Skippy plans to make the legislative branch obsolete anyway. Podesta is on tap to consolidate executive power, and his baby is “climate change.” America’s “transformation” is nearly a fait accompli.

onlineanalyst on December 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

TXUS fireside perspective is spot on. Where are the marshmallows?

egmont on December 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said the American public “deserves better than this.”

Just what I, and a lot of others, said when Rubio started pushing amnesty for invaders.

VorDaj on December 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Bad deal for the time being but it does take away a campaign issue that the democrats use to sway independent voters (gridlock caused by the House Republicans), and that might be more important in the long run.

kcewa on December 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I had no idea that the Crap-Weasel is the state animal of Wisconsin!

Im so done with the Republican Party. Not even primaries are of any use, because all of the replacements we sent, seem to lose their balls as soon as they arrive in DC.

Next year Ill stay home or vote 3rd party. And I really hope that their arrogance costs them the majority.

Valkyriepundit on December 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Wow, and people were totally giddy about Ryan as VP. Yikes.

SouthernGent on December 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

It’s become evident that Mitt Romney was the more conservative of the two.

Does Paul Ryan have any credibility any more?

bw222 on December 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Go to HEL you POS Paul Ryan take Gay Marriage Implementer Mitt the fee raiser with you.

Fees are taxes idiot. So are penalties. Changing the word means you are playing us for fools.

Just sayin.

Steveangell on December 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM

In case anyone missed this.
h/t Schad.

bazil9 on December 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

…saw that!…how come I didn’t know how he felt on immigration…when I was so giddy over a year ago…when he was picked as the VP candidate?

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM

When your opponent is drowning, don’t throw him a rope.

TXUS on December 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM

With all due respect
… this approach is the unadulterated product that comes out of the back end of a bull.

When your opponent is drowning, you throw him a rope tied to an anvil.

In this case, the rope is a continuing resolution funding the government AT the sequester level through March 15, 2015.

The anvil is the 2014 election cycle.

Give the Democrats EXACTLY what the Obama proposed sequestration deal requires … and if they want to be the ones to shut down government – LET THEM!

This deal GIVES the Democrats the “Shut Down!” fig leaf to re-raise next year for ZERO benefit.

PolAgnostic on December 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Ok, time for some humor – ObamaCare related. One state’s continuing experience with their OWN exchange:

Sixty-minute wait times are unusual, said Rebecca Lozano, the outreach program manager with Portico Healthnet, a St. Paul-based nonprofit that is funded as part of MNsure’s “navigator” program to help consumers.

It’s usually less than 45 minutes or so,” Lozano wrote in an email.

Good grief, Charlie Brown…

climbnjump on December 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Wow, and people were totally giddy about Ryan as VP. Yikes.

SouthernGent on December 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

To toot my own horn for a moment, years back I was one of the first here at HotAir warning everybody about Paul Ryan and Rubio, and at the time people rolled their eyes and condescended to me, yet Paul Ryan and Rubio have since proven me correct and now virtually everyone agrees. I only mention it because last night when I warned about Tom Cotton I received the same kind of reaction I did when I warned of Rubio and Ryan.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM

we’re watching the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, homey. Which is very cosmopolitan for us knuckle draggers. TXUS on December 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Oh,, that’s different. If you read your original post it came across different. Like they were modeling chaps for each other.

(just funning with ya)

wolly4321 on December 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM

VorDaj on December 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Rubio is desperate for anything to try to get back some conservative credentials.

Oops … too late!

PolAgnostic on December 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Floating rock, you know something we don’t know!
I was suspicious as well about Ryan & Rubio, but never thought both would become Schumer’s boys.
Tom Cotton, what’ the scoop on him? I know he never met a war he didn’t like. Is he another Graham & McCain?

Belle on December 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM

It’s because Ryan flat out supports increases in spending. This is the same problem we had with gun control earlier this – when Obama’s bill was set to fail, Republicans ran to Obama’s rescue. Only a huge lobbying effort from the NRA saved us. And the Republicans never really admitted they were wrong even when we won the recalls in Colorado. There was just an angry silence.

When your opponent is drowning, don’t throw him a rope.

TXUS on December 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Sorry, this is just the excuse. Nobody was clamoring for the erasure of the sequestration. The Republicans WANT these spending increases. They are against spending cuts now and forever. Being in the minority doesn’t require the Republicans to just rubber stamp the Obama agenda, no matter how much the Republicans want to.

Doomberg on December 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Wow, and people were totally giddy about Ryan as VP. Yikes.

SouthernGent on December 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I was one of them. Positively giddy.

Fool me once, shame on you. But never again, Ryan, you lying piece of garbage

Jaibones on December 10, 2013 at 11:26 PM

In other words, it’s a give-away.

David Blue on December 10, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Belle on December 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM

My concern about Tom Cotton is that he is a vocal cheerleader for the surveillance/police-state. As the Snowden revelations demonstrate the government is totally out of control, yet Cotton has defended these practices and dismissed concerns. It is being driven by rent-seeking K-Street cronies just like everything else in DC that profit from the technology and bureaucracy involved and probably from the information gleaned. Either that or perhaps Cotton is just naive and doesn’t understand how dangerous it is and destructive to our freedom and liberty. In either case, I think the party and the country needs to go in a different direction than the one Tom Cotton would take it.

FloatingRock on December 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM

“I love you Paul.”

- “I love you too, Patty.”

Ward Cleaver on December 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Did that 17 trillion dollar thingy ever enter their conversation?

viking01 on December 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Well, at least it’s the USA, so you get to keep the meat from the carcasses.

Fire at will!

WryTrvllr on December 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Battery Acid works too, put it in the watering holes!

WryTrvllr on December 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I’m furious. I know the money isn’t much, but the money is not the point. There’s no reason to play these games and I don’t know how much scamming, bait and switch, and outright lying I can take when it’s coming from GOP leaders, too. I’m to the point where I’d like to see an Icelandic response. Demanding resignation of the entire government and forcing it to happen. Setting up a Constitutional Convention intended to prevent the the fiscal irresponsibility and the outright lawlessness of the last five to ten years. People in public life should not be immune from prosecution because the “don’t recall” and they shouldn’t be exempt from the laws they impose on the general public. The also should be allowed to use their public service positions to parlay themselves into millionaire status via lobbying the same people they made deals and friends with while in public life.

Dusty on December 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Here is the Mark Levin interview with Rep. Paul Ryan.
Ryan makes sense as far as it goes in that the Left ideologues probably won’t budge any further and they do have to make some concessions. The success will depend on whatever nonsense appears in conference, as far as I can see.

onlineanalyst on December 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Hey! That one is still kicking, shoot it again!

WryTrvllr on December 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM

The pressure is coming mainly from defense-oriented Republicans in the House. Sequestration cuts come 50% from defense, which is only 17% of the budget, so it is effectively taking on triple its share than if the cuts were truly across-the-board.

However, given that we are now out (or getting out) of two very expensive foreign war deployments, we should be able to cut defense without actually hurting security. Of course, we would need to cut the fluff like tens of billions on “biofuels” which is mainly a waste of money on crony deals for Obama, but it could be done.

Hagel is already in over his head, but that’s par for the Administration.

We have more generals and admirals serving in the Pentagon today than the total required for WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam combined. Time for some mandatory retirements, for starters.

Keeping sequester should be the default position.

Adjoran on December 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Also – don’t forget we wouldn’t be having this problem if we had just let Boehner pass his “clean CR” instead of the bonehead Cruz shutdown.

Sequester would have been certain for another year, and affect baselines going forward.

Don’t blame Ryan for what you and Cruz brought on.

Adjoran on December 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Hey, I said 40 rounds of solids! I can’t use none of this bonded crap!

WryTrvllr on December 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM

GOP can’t hand out sweet contracts and subsidies to the Chamber of Commerce with the sequester.

Clark1 on December 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Well, Bwana, all in all, a good days work. Now lets get the hell out of here before the zoo keepers show up.

WryTrvllr on December 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Ryan and Murray announce budget deal

Dumb and Dumber

Left and Lefter

UltimateBob on December 11, 2013 at 12:21 AM

This will be bad.

pat on December 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Well that did work. Try again.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Don’t blame Ryan for what you and Cruz brought on.

Adjoran on December 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

All we have is the House. We can’t force Obama to cut spending. We’ve spent the last 3 years learning that very expensive lesson.
There are enough Republicans in the House who want the sequester gone as well. Ryan was negotiating from a weak position.
He wants the debt ceiling kicked down the road till after the next election so the tea party won’t have another chance to form a circular firing squad.
Better to keep all the attention on O’care.
Plus there are no new taxes and some minor cuts to welfare which sets a good precedent for the future.
Win elections, then we can talk about real reform.

breffnian on December 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Adjoran on December 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

breffnian on December 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Just to refresh some faulty memories …

Sequester IS the law.

Sequestration happened because Tea Party politicians held EVERYBODY’S feet to the fire in 2011.

It has ALREADY cut spending and will CUT a lot more if left alone.

You can take your “win elections” propaganda back to the GOPe where it came from and tell them,

“If you like your “win elections” motto, you can KEEP your “win elections” motto.”

Cruz is doing the EXACT same thing the Tea Party politicians did in 2011 and it SCARES the bejesus out of the GOPe, doesn’t it?

PolAgnostic on December 11, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Oh, gee….no mention of backstabbing the Military? How nice. I have two words for you. First one starts with an “F”. Fill in the blanks.

Fight your own wars, lawyer. We’re done.

98ZJUSMC on December 11, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Keeping sequester should be the default position.

Adjoran on December 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Exactly. You want to cut the Military? There’s your sweet spot. Get rid of all the ring knockers and the Canoe U. grads. There are waaaaaaay too many Flag/General grade zeros.

98ZJUSMC on December 11, 2013 at 3:24 AM

I’m not, angry exactly, but I do have mixed emotions.

On one hand, if I’m reading this correctly, it’s an actual, “budget.” Meaning we could finally get away from that continuing resolution bullcrap. That’s good, really good in fact. I’d actually be willing to live with a few compromises if it meant getting back to some budget normalcy.

On the other hand.

Sequestration, well, I may not like it, but a spending cut is a spending cut. While I’m willing to compromise to get back to budget normalcy, I’m not certain I’d be willing to compromise quite that much.

I’m not all that upset about higher fees, as they’re a bit easier to avoid then direct taxation, thus slightly less onerous.

The real question I’m asking myself, is what the next move would be if the Republicans take this deal. Getting back to a normal budgetary process, gives them far more leeway in the future to affect the federal budget, especially if we have a good mid-term election.

Will we really have a good mid-term? Are we likely to be a position to press for a more favorable budget eleven months down the line? Right now that, “looks,” like a yes, but I’d want to be darn certain before making any retreat on spending, even if it’s intended to only be a temporary one.

So, I guess my answer is that I don’t know how i feel about it just yet, because I don’t know all the details.

Still, I oh so DO want to get back to budget normalcy.

WolvenOne on December 11, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Due to the site’s moderation I can’t use the word I’d like to use here, so instead I’ll replace it with the word “puppy”:

Puppy you Paul Ryan, John McCain, and all the other puppy RINOs who, just to get their favorite jobs program – the Pentagon, which has more than enough room and needs for cuts of its own- some money back they puppy compromised with the puppy liberals to give them what they wanted.

Obama and company were puppy scared of the sequester, maybe the only good piece of legislation passed in the last 5 years and the first one to actually cut discretionary spending in a generation. Not only that but these puppy morons couldn’t even realize that Dems would have bent over with concessions had they used that as a bargaining chip to, at least, call for definitive entitlement reform.

So, instead of holding the line and letting the Sequester continue as planned, puppy Ryan let it all go to waste for what can barely be called a puppy negotiation.

Well puppy done morons.

ptcamn on December 11, 2013 at 3:55 AM

When Patty Murray,maybe the dumbest member of the senate can out negotiate you it’s time for a change.The wonder boy from Janesville has shown he has reached the ‘Peter Principle’ level.

celtic warrior on December 11, 2013 at 4:23 AM

When Patty Murray can out-negotiate you, it shows you are not sincere in representing the people on whose behalf you are negotiating.

Which does indeed suggest “time for a change”.

David Blue on December 11, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Those of us who seek the destruction of the GOP because it is an obstacle to the advancement of a conservative agenda have a friend in Paul Ryan.Thanks Congressman! Will think of you fondly while staying home in November.

redware on December 11, 2013 at 5:25 AM

cave….more spending….

where is the money going to come from pray tell?

cmsinaz on December 11, 2013 at 5:35 AM

debt ceiling

oh well, it’s only money right?

cmsinaz on December 11, 2013 at 5:37 AM

justjulie20 on December 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Your “conservative sweethearts” lie to you in order to get elected. The sooner you get used to that idea, the better off you’ll be.

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 6:12 AM

cave….more spending….

where is the money going to come from pray tell?

cmsinaz on December 11, 2013 at 5:35 AM

The same place it’s been coming from for the past six years: The Fed’s balance sheet.

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Can’t wait to see this turd of a budget violate the Hastert Rule.

My view on Ryan plummeted after he failed to keep up with a smug and hateful Biden in that VP debate, and it’s never recovered. This deal ensures it will never recover.

Myron Falwell on December 11, 2013 at 7:37 AM

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 6:12 AM

You mean like, they would be against amnesty till they got elected, and then they would be all “pathway to citizenship, it’s gotta happen”? Are you saying they would lie like that?

David Blue on December 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Basically, I no longer support the GOP and hope they lose big in 2014 and 2016. Because if we are going to get more spending, higher taxes, amnesty and Obamacare, I prefer to get my A** F***** from the DNC who admit they are my enemy then from the GOP who pretend to be my friends.

Because energy spent being loyal team players and electing who our betters tell us to has accomplished exactly what conservative goal?

When the GOP held the WH, Senate and House – did they reduce spending? No, they increased it. Did they reduce the size or scope of gov’t? No, they increased it. Did they get rid of any stupid federal agencies, programs, or statutes? No, they added to them.

And, since then, what has the GOP actually done? Capitulate. Say they are going to capitulate (McConnell just last week stated he did not intend to repeal Obamacare – only “fix” it). Say they are going to do really, really stupid things (amnesty). And just now, “compromise” away any potential for cutting spending or fixing entitlements (see Paul Ryan’s newest crowning achievement).

You people who are party loyalists rather than conservatives need to get a grip and realize the wasted energy is yours. The GOP not only is NOT conservative in any way – it hates conservatives and loves big government.

The GOP wants to be a Center-left party, just to the right of the DNC. Anyone who doesn’t believe this is an idiot. Actions count – not words. In elections, they tell us they are conservative. But they never act that way in office.

I am going to pray that the GOP loses and I am going to vote for the dems. Fuck you GOP. Fuck you.

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I posted this in the thread about primarying GOP incumbents, but it seems appropriate here.

I am going to pray that the GOP loses and I am going to vote for the dems. F you GOP. F you.

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM

David Blue on December 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

That, among other things.

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM

GOP: taxing and spending you into oblivion, but, hey, we’ll give you the fig leaf of cuts “sometime in the future” – which will be negotiated away ASAP so they never actually occur.

DRayRaven on December 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM

There is no way your argument can be rebutted.

Myron Falwell on December 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I think we, as conservatives, need to sit out the next election.

The GOP believes two things:

1) conservatives will always vote for them regardless of what they do; and

2) even if 1 isn’t correct, they can win without conservatives.

Both of those notions need to be disabused before the GOP will move right.

And, if the GOP doesn’t move right – then the GOP needs to be terminated.

I urge everyone who considers themselves a conservative to sit out the next election.

Yes, I know, we “have a good chance to win the Senate”. So what? What, exactly, do you believe that will get us?

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

So we’re getting rid of spending cuts and adding new taxes. Tell me again what the GOP is going to run on in 2016. I know: sweet, sweet amnesty.

A few years ago, I started politely declining requests for money from the GOP. Couple years later, I started laughing when they called. Now, I plan to yell F*CK YOU!! into the phone.

Just so we’re clear: voting for the GOP means higher spending, higher taxes and a massive influx of low-skill, low-income workers, with that last part being done during a time of economic distress.

I’d like all of my friends in the DC area to move a few hundred miles away, as I plan to use voodoo to bring down SMOD to widen the Potomac basin.

Physics Geek on December 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I think we, as conservatives, need to sit out the next election.

The GOP believes two things:

1) conservatives will always vote for them regardless of what they do; and

2) even if 1 isn’t correct, they can win without conservatives.

Both of those notions need to be disabused before the GOP will move right.

And, if the GOP doesn’t move right – then the GOP needs to be terminated.

Monkeytoe on December 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

That’s right “conservatives”, let’s all capitulate to the Democratic Party, sit out the process because our sterling conservative principles must not be compromised. Let’s forget the fact that the 2010 SHELLACKING was the largest swing in congressional history and put conservatives solidly back into control, (with only one legislative branch), that has kept the Obama/Pelosi-socialist agenda in check.

Let’s all stay home and give up the opportunity to YES MONKEYTOE, take back the Senate and hold the House, that would put an end to any liberal progressive agenda, leaving Obama an official lame duck for the remainder of his term. Did you, Monkeytoe, even consider why Obama and the Senate (Harry Reid), nuked the Senate filibuster? Because, WHEN Republicans UNITE in 2014 and take back control of the Senate, they will no longer have any more power to pack the courts—which can’t be stopped now.

You fight the fights that are within your capabilities to control/win. It’s the way the system works whether we like the outcomes or not. Sitting out, is not an option. It is, however, a lazy way of saying “I give up”. Sorry pal, but I’m not giving up and I will vote!

Rovin on December 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Ryan just put the House in a box with the obvious support of leadership.

The Republican led House now has little choice but to pass this budget “deal”. Otherwise it will play to the “obstructionist” meme that dominates Democrat propaganda.

This deal stinks for several reasons. When someone like Ryan says it doesn’t “raise taxes” and in reality it does, simply calling them fees BOHICA, because there must be more buried in the details. Politicians don’t play semanticist games without lots of buried skeletons.

Notwithstanding the fact taxes are being raised, just not personal income taxes, it also dilutes the Sequester cuts, which by the way are the only real budget cuts that have occurred for years. Which is why the professional politicians in both parties, including Ryan, hate them.

Notice how bottom line, the budget still increases over time. That’s the only number you need to see in order to understand this is a terrible deal. The rest is designed to beguile you.

By the way- get ready for the same approach on immigration, because it’s coming.

Marcus Traianus on December 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM