Meet our new cousin: Twitchy

posted at 3:31 pm on December 10, 2013 by Allahpundit

I’m pretty sure you’ve met, but now that they’re part of the Townhall family, a formal re-introduction is in order.

It took four years of hard work by the boss emeritus to make Ed and me salable. It took her and her staff less than half that time to make Twitchy a hot property. Harrumph.

Launched in March 2012, Twitchy was the brainchild of conservative author and pundit Michelle Malkin, who until now served as owner and chief executive officer. The site is unique in the conservative media landscape for its native social aim, acting as a “Twitter curator” and timelining social media wars between pundits, politicians and celebrities…

Garthwaite says Malkin will relinquish the title of CEO, but will still be active in promoting the Twitchy brand. He said the nine Twitchy staff writers, disparately located around the country, will not be asked to relocate to the Townhall news offices in Arlington, Va. Garthwaite would not disclose terms of the deal.

With the acquisition, Salem Communications will now operate a consolidated block of three major properties in the conservative media landscape in diversified areas. Garthwaite predicts that folding in Twitchy will boost the cumulative traffic of the overall property up to 11 million uniques a month. The company’s properties have also had success on television in the last couple years with Townhall’s political editor Guy Benson and news editor Katie Pavlich becoming Fox News contributors.

I hear that Mary Katharine Whatsername is pretty successful too. Seriously, though, congratulations to MM and her team on the sale. I’m looking forward to working with all of them. And now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to send her an e-mail begging her to let me invest early in whatever site she has planned next.

In the spirit of self-promotion, here’s Whatsername last night in her regular spot on the most highly-rated cable news show in America trying to convince O’Reilly that a major paper in a state that just legalized marijuana might want to have someone working that beat.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Looks like we made it !

William Amos on December 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM

RIP Twitchy.

kcewa on December 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM

What does Townhall do everyday? Look at Malkin’s latest creations and decide to buy them? How do i get in on this racket? :P

NotCoach on December 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Alternate Headline: Twitchy Will Now Have Large, Annoying Popup Ads

Mark1971 on December 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

There goes another one…

d1carter on December 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Great job, Michelle! Couldn’t have happened to a greater woman. Like AP said, any early info on upcoming projects and a potential to help “get it off the ground” would be much appreciated ;-)

jwehman on December 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

What will MM do next. Instagrammy?

22044 on December 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Alternate Headline: Twitchy Will Now Have Large, Annoying Popup Ads

Mark1971 on December 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Change your browser to Chrome or Firefox. Get out of the Internet Explorer stone age.

NotCoach on December 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I see a political office in MM’s future…

d1carter on December 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

OT:Totally Cool!

ConservativePartyNow on December 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Michelle…internet baroness and overall hottie.

Oil Can on December 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Not a single other possible buyer out there, huh Michelle?

That’s fine, twitchy was getting a little old anyways. Hopefully they moderate their messages, hire a bunch of establishment types, and run 150 ads per page. It’s worked great at hot air and townhall!!

Timin203 on December 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM

And PLEASe include auto load ad videos in twitchy. I love having to turn off my speakers before going to hot air.com

Timin203 on December 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM

MKH was cute last night volunteering to do the work of providing alcohol reviews through vendor sponsorships. Next one’s on me M-Kat.

DanMan on December 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Fan of HotAir. Not a fan of Townhall. Such a noisy website.

blatantblue on December 10, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Twitchy was really an innovator. I’m glad it worked out for Michelle.

And evidently Salem liked the Hot Air purchase because they went back to the well with Twitchy. So congrats to everyone.

Nessuno on December 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM

That’s how it’s done, folks.

Michelle Malkin, Entrepreneur.

portlandon on December 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I wasn’t interested in Twitchy when MM ran it, less interested now.

Bitter Clinger on December 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Fan of HotAir. Not a fan of Townhall. Such a noisy website.

blatantblue on December 10, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Hey, man! Haven’t seen you around in awhile. How you been?

portlandon on December 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Hope you all like autoplay ads at high volumes!

Good Lt on December 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM

So Twitchy goes all in on Homosexual Marriage stories now?

reddevil on December 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Michelle “Midas” Malkin.

BuckeyeSam on December 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

As a serial entrepreneur, Michelle should devote a chapter of her new book to herself. She keeps building it herself.

Numbuh One on December 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Hey, man! Haven’t seen you around in awhile. How you been?

portlandon on December 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Doin’ well. Still read HA everyday. Just not commenting. Nothing new to say with what’s been going on, ya know?

How about yourself? You on FB, btw?

blatantblue on December 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Congrats to the Boss Emeritus

gwelf on December 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I get daily Townhall emails now, probably because of my HotAir account. Sometimes they’re interesting, but not compelling enough for me to visit the site.

22044 on December 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

The boss emeritus just prints money, eh?

besser tot als rot on December 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM

From what I gathered, Twitchy seemed pretty good at scouring the Twitter world and then steering conservative tweeters to beat back liberal tweeters. Will Townhall gag and handcuff the Twitchy staff from this point on?

BuckeyeSam on December 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Twitchy as comment editing which is awesome for those of us who are spell challenged.

Then again HotGas wouldn’t have the benefit of “Scrotched Earth” from whichever lucky bastige here managed to write that.

Bishop on December 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Don’t sell yourself short. Knowing the Boss Emeritus, she probably spent the first 2 years not even entertaining selling Hot Air.

I hear that Mary Katharine Whatsername is pretty successful too.

She was on Fox News long before she got here on an official basis. In fact, she was at TownHall when she became a contributor.

And now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to send (MM) an e-mail begging her to let me invest early in whatever site she has planned next.

You and me both.

Steve Eggleston on December 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

MM is just like us. She puts her pants on one leg at a time. But after that, she makes gold records founds multi-million dollar websites.

Good Solid B-Plus on December 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Timin203 on December 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM

You don’t have to visit, you know…

changer1701 on December 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Congrats. Hotair, Michelle Malkin’s projects (and Ace) have had most of my web traffic since 2007 when I became a news junkie. So thanks for the addiction fix Salem.

Meric1837 on December 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Twitchy wasn’t afraid to make fun of the amnesty shills. I hope that doesn’t change now that they have been folded into RINO Inc.

Wigglesworth on December 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

As=Has.

See there, spelling mistake that Twitchy would allow me to edit.

Twitchy also doesn’t have that little smiley face down in the left corner which is actually an NSA tracking device.

Bishop on December 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I love the Ted Baxter/Mary Katherine Ham segments.

forest on December 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

This is sad news. Twitchy provided practically all my exposure to Michelle (the good one, not Mooch), as I don’t visit her own site all that often.

Is there some portal that provides links to Michelle’s TV appearances, etc., similar to the sidebar on Ann Coulter’s site? I want to see her when I can (and I don’t want to do a lot of searching to do so).

MisterElephant on December 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Twitchy’s now part of Townhall?
Major suck.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Merry Christmas, MM!

d1carter on December 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Kudos to MKH for the eye rolls on BO the other night. Next best thing to a backhand when you’re not on set.

antipc on December 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Beck got this one

burrata on December 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Do I have to read this or will some kind soul explain it to me in ten words or less?

Akzed on December 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I hope they didn’t pay much. The site is pretty thin on content and sometimes stuff sits there for days on end.

echosyst on December 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Dear Michelle;

Hot Air – You didn’t build that

Twitchy – You didn’t build that either,

Signed,
Barky

Congrats Boss Emeritus

D-fusit on December 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM

From ‘Twitchy to Squishy’

Rio Linda Refugee on December 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Akzed on December 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Stay with Firefox. No problem with p0p-up ads.

davidk on December 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM

AP:

It took four years of hard work by the boss emeritus to make Ed and me salable.

In honor of this event, you should have your fez and smoking jacket cleaned and pressed.
2006 was long ago.

Arbalest on December 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I admit I didn’t used to, but it’s grown on me and I now like Twitter. I use it every day. It’s an interesting, always changing, sometimes subtle, sometimes outlandish way to keep up with people and events of interest – of my interest, that is.

Having said that, Twitchy attempts to tap into a side of Twitter that I still don’t really understand – I call it the ‘Middle-school Madness and Mayhem’ side.

I don’t know if I can precisely explain it, but there is just something off-putting about someone like Michelle Malkin, someone I consider to be a serious person, breathlessly reporting on who called whom a poi-poi-head, or whatever.

Knott Buyinit on December 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Wigglesworth on December 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

That will definitely change.

besser tot als rot on December 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Great

DarkCurrent on December 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Very exciting news!. Welcome to the family, @TeamTwitchy, and congrats to Michelle! Oh, and Twitchy’s editorial bent won’t change.

Also, AP, I doubt Benny meant to slight MKH….her success is super well-established!

Guy Benson on December 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Akzed on December 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Stay with Firefox. No problem with p0p-up ads.

davidk on December 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Why? Can you use more characters on Twitter with Firefox?

NotCoach on December 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM

watching certain sites become established is definitely a good thing.

rob verdi on December 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

How many posts about amnesty shills have I written since Salem bought the site in 2010? A few hundred? Good lord.

If ever you doubted that some people just like to piss and moan on the Internet, witness a guy who comments on a site he calls “RINO Inc.” And who can’t even get his criticism factually right when he does it.

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Congratulations to Mrs Malkin. I enjoy Twitchy more than I care to let on.

…but I question the quality of Twitchy with Salem at the helm. Loads more neice and nephew interns of Salem higher-ups to dilute the content. yay :[

Jeddite on December 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

In the spirit of self-promotion, here’s Whatsername last night…

Hammer!

Having been ’round the HotAir comments since the days of the video “Vents” I feel like I’ve spent my formative years in good company. Kudos to TownHall for not changing HotAir more than a few small design changes. I would expect they wouldn’t alter Twitchy very much either, if history repeats itself. Say what you will about TownHall, but they seem to know what they’re doing in cases of acquisition.

And congrats to Michelle Malkin for building up Twitchy and making a great sale.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

And Allah still doesn’t placate :) .

I hope all you Townhall folks plus Ace and my other go-to guys are making a crapload of money in satisfying my internet addiction.

juliesa on December 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Everytime MM sells out a conservative website loses its wings.

AmeriCuda on December 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM

“Hey, how come everything on Twitchy’s about same-sex marriage now?”

Kensington on December 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Ditto. I was in the first batch of registrants here, and I’ve had the Platinum Membership™ at Ace’s for even longer.

juliesa on December 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Not watching a 6 minutes+ clip of O’Reilly to see the Hammer swing the cluebat on him.

Skip ahead to..?

Sacramento on December 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Does this count as a mention? If so I have 2 mentions. More than you pikers.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

will someone now respond to calls for help there?
my ip changed and I was instantly banned and I have not been able to post there for almost a year now.
repeated emails, tweets, etc got nowheres.

dmacleo on December 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM

SparkPlug on December 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

One of those bettah be the time that I did the shout-out. *glares*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

They’ll start pre-moderating comments like you do here so are guaranteed to get the right messaging in the comments and no one is the wiser.

SirGawain on December 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I have been here since the commodore 64. Longer than you wanna be Scrumpy poet hosers.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Slightly OT, but Hot Air, when are you going to get around to creating a mobile app? Your site sucks on my iPhone. Michelle and Tucker did it, so can you.

kmid219 on December 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Hey that means I got 3 mentions. Thank Twerp. I owe you a Christmas chipmunk video.

SparkPlug on December 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM

kmid219 on December 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM

They have a free mobile app available for both the iPhones and the Androids. Visit the Google Play store.

Bitter Clinger on December 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Pity. I used to like Twitchy. Now begins the inexorable slide…

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM

This sucks big time.

I saw HotAir turn into HotGas so I know.

I hope Brian (TRS) never sells, except to Breitbart.

Michelle, I like you, but how could you do it twice? (and don’t tell me you don’t know what I mean).

BabyGrace on December 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I saw HotAir turn into HotGas so I know.

Well, thanks for the page views today.

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I’ve been here for over 8 months, one of the oldsters.

Bishop on December 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I’m pretty sure it is my brilliant and insightful comments that made the sale.

jukin3 on December 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM

juliesa on December 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Heh, I still remember LGF before CJ lost his mind in a sharp Left turn. I was banned by CJ himself (I always wore that as a badge of honor) for defending HotAir against some rather insipid accusations.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM

You know, I remember a restaurant that had great food, then something changed and it started to deteriorate. When customers brought it to the attention of the employees, they did what great employees should always do – b1tchslap the customers and spit in their food.

Oh, wait…

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Pity. I used to like Twitchy. Now begins the inexorable slide…

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I like Twitchy, but I think the slide has been going on for awhile.

Have you noticed any of their recent ridiculous & worthless posts about Blink-182′s singer Mark Hoppus? I feeling more and more like I’m reading TMZ or Perez Hilton when I go there…

Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Yes please sign me up as an investor in MM’s next endeavor, we could be like the rest of the tech millionaires and fund our favorite conservative groups.

tim c on December 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Don’t. They are not even remotely close to the hits I gave this site even when I couldn’t post.

And don’t tell me this site is what it used to be before its sale to Salem, because if it was the case, I would post a 100 times a day instead of 5-10 times a month.

BabyGrace on December 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Yeah; one of the writers must be a fan or buddy of the guy; the posts aren’t worth it on their own.

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

And now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to send her an e-mail begging her…

Ahhh, good ole’ AP. The story of our HA beta male.

I’ve seen you begging the girls for many years now, AP. First it was KP, then relentlessly begging MM for that damn Iphone.

Have you no shame, man?

BacaDog on December 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

BabyGrace on December 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

And that’s a bad thing? For you maybe…

In all seriousness, what is it you believe has changed here at HotAir since Salem purchased this site?

Like I said earlier, I and quite a few others have been registered commenters here since HA’s beginnings. Personally, nothing changed much as far as content. There were actually more changes while MM was still the boss than after she sold it.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I agree 100%. Reading them gave me a “Twitchy has officially jumped the shark!” sensation.

Cher rants=fun reads; Mark Hoppus=completely uninteresting non-entity.

Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Dammit, I still miss the Vent.

BacaDog on December 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Wigglesworth on December 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Excuse me, but his criticism is 100% right. Point out where he was wrong.

Allah, you almost NEVER linked to Twitchy in the last year or so, and you have presided over a site which has clearly become less conservative than it was under Malkin. After the Salem purchase, we got pro-amnesty bloggers like Guy Benson. Speaking of amnesty, you, Allahpundit support a special “pathway to citizenship” for illegal aliens (as long as border security is promised to be strengthened, etc.), so who cares “how many times” you have written about amnesty supporters? You are one! Also, Wiggles was talking about mocking amnesty shills. Twitchy has (had?) so much more bite than today’s HotAir, and they brilliantly mock liberals, including amnesty shills, much more effectively and in a more entertaining way than HotAir does.

Though much younger than HotAir, Twitchy surpassed HotAir in traffic. I believe Twitchy’s fearlessness and brawling nature had a lot to do with that success, just as I believe that HotAir’s stale, equivocating commentary and increasingly RINO/non-conservative identity has had a lot to do with this site’s decline.

How dare you belittle someone offering legitimate criticism as someone who “just likes to moan and complain on the internet.”

I suggest you listen to the consumers of your product rather than belittle them, if you don’t want to see this site slide even further.

And, yes, as a huge Twitchy fan, I am also worried about what Salem will do to Twitchy. I hope they don’t try to muzzle the writers or force new RINO editors on them.

bluegill on December 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM

22044 on December 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I just delete them without opening them…

OmahaConservative on December 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I’m pretty sure it is my brilliant and insightful comments that made the sale.

jukin3 on December 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Homophobe.

Bishop on December 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM

You can outright swear on Twitchy, I believe, and as someone who learned how to swear from world-class experts and appreciates clever usage of such, I ask: Will that be selectively banned as it is here?

Bishop on December 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Dammit, I still miss the Vent.

BacaDog on December 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Yep.

I was so disappointed when they ended.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Well, thanks for the page views today.
Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Wow, trolling the readers.

Maybe Allahpundit should stop and realize that the reason people take the time to criticize the site is because we actually care and would like to see it regain some of the fire it used to have.

bluegill on December 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I myself know of a restaurant that does brisk business, where most of the customers like the food and come by regularly. But a few don’t like it — and yet, instead of finding a spot that’s more to their liking, they continue going to the one they don’t like. I keep thinking eventually they’ll stop, but they don’t. Makes you think they just like to complain.

I know it’s the customer’s prerogative to assume that the food must be bad if it’s not to his taste. But why keep eating it?

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

ConservativePartyNow on December 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM

That is cool. I wonder if they lost anything from the cars to baggage claim.

tommer74 on December 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM

It took four years of hard work

I’m not impressed, it took me only 3 1/2 years to build the Obamacare website.
- Barry

tommer74 on December 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Dammit, I still miss the Vent.

BacaDog on December 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Maybe MKwhatshername can start doing new Vents if and when she becomes a full time employee. Or is Obamacare preventing that?

meci on December 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Makes you think they just like to complain.
Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Where I used I work we had a faculties technician (fixes HVAC, sinks, toilets, etc.) who would loudly complain that “some people just love to complain” whenever customers would report broken equipment, etc, This facilities tech’s attitude made it difficult for other employees and members to report problems. Look, it was the guy’s job to take reports of broken equipment and other complaints, and to respond professionally. He couldn’t do it, and he was fired. I would suggest that instead of an “if you don’t like it, go elsewhere attitude” that maybe it’s better to say nothing at all or to respond more politely. If HotAir’s traffic was growing in leaps and bounds, then maybe a “then don’t come back” attitude would be more warranted.

bluegill on December 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Some people are just weird like that! :)

Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

meci on December 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Hammer had some classics… THIS is still one of my favs.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Associate Editor?

WhatSlushfund on December 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

And that’s a bad thing? For you maybe…

I’m not talking about me, because it’s not about me. it’s about the site. Can you explain how it went from 300 average comments for any thread to, well, 80 comments average? Do you remember how lively it was here?

Seriously, JetBoy? This used to be a site where Conservatives felt at home even if the contributors here were not so Convervatives, if at all.

Now it’s a GOPe site. Just not my line, and just not the line it used to hold. And it deliberately ignores subjects that would have made its front page several times a few years ago. I know: I have to go to Breitbart and TRS to find them now.

I know Twitchy will go the same way. I’m not happy about it, even if I used to like HA a 1,000,000 more than I ever liked Twichty.

BabyGrace on December 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM

“She didn’t build all this herself” — obama

Schadenfreude on December 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM