Meet our new cousin: Twitchy

posted at 3:31 pm on December 10, 2013 by Allahpundit

I’m pretty sure you’ve met, but now that they’re part of the Townhall family, a formal re-introduction is in order.

It took four years of hard work by the boss emeritus to make Ed and me salable. It took her and her staff less than half that time to make Twitchy a hot property. Harrumph.

Launched in March 2012, Twitchy was the brainchild of conservative author and pundit Michelle Malkin, who until now served as owner and chief executive officer. The site is unique in the conservative media landscape for its native social aim, acting as a “Twitter curator” and timelining social media wars between pundits, politicians and celebrities…

Garthwaite says Malkin will relinquish the title of CEO, but will still be active in promoting the Twitchy brand. He said the nine Twitchy staff writers, disparately located around the country, will not be asked to relocate to the Townhall news offices in Arlington, Va. Garthwaite would not disclose terms of the deal.

With the acquisition, Salem Communications will now operate a consolidated block of three major properties in the conservative media landscape in diversified areas. Garthwaite predicts that folding in Twitchy will boost the cumulative traffic of the overall property up to 11 million uniques a month. The company’s properties have also had success on television in the last couple years with Townhall’s political editor Guy Benson and news editor Katie Pavlich becoming Fox News contributors.

I hear that Mary Katharine Whatsername is pretty successful too. Seriously, though, congratulations to MM and her team on the sale. I’m looking forward to working with all of them. And now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to send her an e-mail begging her to let me invest early in whatever site she has planned next.

In the spirit of self-promotion, here’s Whatsername last night in her regular spot on the most highly-rated cable news show in America trying to convince O’Reilly that a major paper in a state that just legalized marijuana might want to have someone working that beat.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I know of a restaurant that serves awesome wings and their beer selection is incredible, plus it’s close to home.

That’s it.

Bishop on December 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM

That’s it.

Bishop on December 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Hooters?

;)

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Like I said earlier, I and quite a few others have been registered commenters here since HA’s beginnings. Personally, nothing changed much as far as content. There were actually more changes while MM was still the boss than after she sold it.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

All true. Never once have Ed or I been told, either by MM or Townhall, to blog or not blog something. It’s entirely our call what we write, every day. I think some people assume that because MM has a very conservative brand, HA must have somehow been “more conservative” back when she was in charge. Not so. That’s what made her such a great boss, in fact — she always let Ed and I give our own take on things, without input from her.

Where I used I work we had a faculties technician (fixes HVAC, sinks, toilets, etc.) who would loudly complain that “some people just love to complain” whenever customers would report broken equipment, etc, This facilities tech’s attitude made it difficult for other employees and members to report problems. Look, it was the guy’s job to take reports of broken equipment and other complaints, and to respond professionally. He couldn’t do it, and he was fired. I would suggest that instead of an “if you don’t like it, go elsewhere attitude” that maybe it’s better to say nothing at all or to respond more politely. If HotAir’s traffic was growing in leaps and bounds, then maybe a “then don’t come back” attitude would be more warranted.

bluegill on December 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Reporting broken equipment is a constructive complaint. Saying to an opinion site “you’re too RINO-y” isn’t. Essentially, you’re asking the writers to change their honest opinions to suit you. Would you rather I lied to you and told you what you want to hear or would you rather I told you what I really think about a topic and then you can fire back in the comments? Telling an opinion forum that you don’t like their opinions is, to me, like going to an Italian restaurant and telling them that they suck because they’re not making French food. If a customer did that every day, why shouldn’t the maitre d’ finally say, “Maybe you’d be happier at a place that serves French”?

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Alternate Headline: Twitchy Will Now Have Large, Annoying Popup Ads

Mark1971 on December 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Change your browser to Chrome or Firefox. Get out of the Internet Explorer stone age.

NotCoach on December 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Try Firefox – Chrome is always phoning home to Google. Also, Firefox has many more and better addons. If you have to use a Chrome-based browser, use SRWare Iron if you want privacy.

Congrats to Michelle, internet entrepreneur extraordinaire, on the sale of Twitchy.

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM

How dare you belittle someone offering legitimate criticism as someone who “just likes to moan and complain on the internet.”

I suggest you listen to the consumers of your product rather than belittle them, if you don’t want to see this site slide even further.

And, yes, as a huge Twitchy fan, I am also worried about what Salem will do to Twitchy. I hope they don’t try to muzzle the writers or force new RINO editors on them.

bluegill on December 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Allah insists you drink New Coke and like it.

SirGawain on December 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I’ve been here 7 years-even when y’all factor in my forced ‘summer vacation’-and HA HAS changed. HA used to have…bite. It really doesn’t have that anymore. It’s become more cautious. More safe. *shrugs*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Good for MM. I’m not a regular visitor there but good for her anyway. I come to Hotair several times a day because I like the variety, it’s like a box of chocolates. And I like APs snarky style!

and OT

OT:Totally Cool!

ConservativePartyNow on December 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM

That WAS awesome.

scalleywag on December 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Glad Michelle got paid and I hope the site continues to do well.

forest on December 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Have you noticed any of their recent ridiculous & worthless posts about Blink-182′s singer Mark Hoppus? I feeling more and more like I’m reading TMZ or Perez Hilton when I go there…
Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM

It can’t be all dead serious politics, all the time. People tweet on a variety of things and if a Twitchy post about Cher’s latest bizarre rant pulls in those who otherwise would not visit a site that brings up politics with a conservative slant, so much the better.

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM

And I like APs snarky style!
ConservativePartyNow on December 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Should bring back “The Vent”. AP could do the vids with a paperbag over his head, a la the “Unknown Comedian”.

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM

But why keep eating it?

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Who told you we do? Precisely, for my part, I go elsewhere (while needless to say, I would have preferred to just dwell here).

I cannot count my comments, but they must be around 30-40 since I registered here in 2012 after waiting at the door for years, lurking everything, reading everything – but less and less after 2011 (the change was not brutal, they’re not that stupid).

What I’m trying to tell you, Allah, is that there is a reason why so many people went elsewhere (and don’t tell me you didn’t notice).

You don’t want to hear it? Fine. I can still say it and it’s the only subject I’ve participated to today, because I think it’s bad news, so I’m probably done with HA for the next two weeks anyway.

Have a nice day.

BabyGrace on December 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Oh great, just great. Now Twitchy is going to be full of full audio pop up ads.

John the Libertarian on December 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I disagree, but I respect the opinions of people who feel that way. There’s no dispute here that some of our readers are further right than we are and that some of them enjoy brawling with lefties more than we do. (As libfreeordie could attest.) But this is my point to bluegill: Ultimately those are just differences of opinion, and differences of opinion can’t really be reconciled without one of us either convincing the other or lying outright. I could lie and take a further right position than I believe on some issues, but a site that would lie to its readers has no integrity. This is why I say that some people would be better off elsewhere. I hate to see any reader go, but why antagonize each other on something that’s basically irreconcilable?

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

It’s the hemp-heads who start screwing up this place, them and the gay hat eaters.

Bishop on December 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM

less Chris Christy QOTD………….jmo slinks off…………..

MontanaMmmm on December 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I don’t expect it to be serious all of the time…the Mark Hoppus posts were standouts for their juvenile, talentless awfulness. As I said, it reminded me of TMZ’s or Perez Hilton’s junk – it was puerile BS, and now that I’ve seen they’re capable of scraping the bottom of the barrel like that, I unfortunately believe it’s probably going to be happening more often.

Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM

less Chris Christy QOTD………

Hahaha. Now that’s constructive criticism. Although it’s hard to resist posting about him given how many of you enjoy throwing tomatoes at him in the comments.

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I’m happy for Michelle but I wish she still owned Hot Air, it was a better site when she was in charge.

RJL on December 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Btw, ot, here’s a new little yakiniku place on Pucheng Lu. It’s pretty good.

(I don’t have any interest beyond hoping it’s around for a while.)

DarkCurrent on December 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Sorry-but y’all are stuck w/ me.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

AP, alt is correct as is BabyGrace. When MM owned HA she balanced out your tendency to be moderate and Ed’s overwhelming status quo vibe…

Gohawgs on December 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Bishop on December 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I resent that remark…I am also a hemp-head in addition to my ingestion of brimmed lids due to unscrupulous former Florida governors with deep tans and silver hair.

This used to be a site where Conservatives felt at home even if the contributors here were not so Convervatives, if at all.

Now it’s a GOPe site. Just not my line, and just not the line it used to hold. And it deliberately ignores subjects that would have made its front page several times a few years ago. I know: I have to go to Breitbart and TRS to find them now.

I know Twitchy will go the same way. I’m not happy about it, even if I used to like HA a 1,000,000 more than I ever liked Twichty.

BabyGrace on December 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM

That’s a bit generalized…are there any more specific changes you can list as to why you don’t feel comfortable as a conservative here these days?

I’m just trying to understand why you, or anyone, would say that HA went “RINO”. To be honest, I haven’t recently seen Allahpundit called “squishy” nearly as much as I used to back in the day. And from my own point of view, AP has only gotten more conservative over the years on certain issues. I could be wrong there, but I’m just calling ‘em as I see ‘em.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Bishop on December 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM

…and Ohioans.
*runs*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Gohawgs on December 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Hey Stranger! Where have you been hiding?!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I agree with this.

AP has always been a good writer, and I’ve noticed that he’s gotten sharper over time that way, too.

Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 6:12 PM

How about we use Disqus like Twitchy for comments but with an edit function? I think that could work nicely.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Great customer-service perspective on display, repeatedly. Well done. Well done.

Customer Satisfaction is Job Something-or-Other.

After all, that’s how the great restaurants get better, right? By listening to long-time loyal customers complain and express concern – and then telling them to f*ck off and move along, right?

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Swords get sharper with stone.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Lurking…

Gohawgs on December 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

This and your last comment on change-of-tone for us old-timers that have been around long enough to base an opinion: while it may be subtle (either through a product of us changing or you guys), I’m not faulting either you or Capt. We all should be hopefully “growing” for lack of a better term in our ability to see things as they are and displaying a sense of humor about it (as sad/tragic as some of it is).

SkinnerVic on December 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Do you expect AP to come by your table and suggest a dessert?

DarkCurrent on December 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM

If you check, you’ll note Twitchy has 3 sections – US Politics,Entertainment and Media. Frivolous items on celebrities falls under the “Entertainment” category. It pretty much always has, probably predating even Hedda Hopper. People are interested in such things, though you and I don’t care much about it.
But just as you may go there to read up on political tweets and commentary, others go for the celebrity tweet dish. It’s broadcasting rather than narrow-casting. Like fishing with a net instead of a speargun. Gets more eyeballs on ads, which = revenue.

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I think I got the message…

d1carter on December 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

If you’re so interested in the integrity of the editorial staff here, why do you hide behind a pseudonym? Why are you afraid to reveal your true identity?

NoNails on December 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM

[whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM]

LOL. That’s an golden oldie of a comment. There was a time they had artist rendering of the HA team replete with the AP in costume. I can’t remember the era, but it was certainly Michele AP, and Brian. I know there was at least a fourth, and maybe a fifth. Anyone remember? Was it Ian or post-Ian.

I tried looking for it a year or so ago and I’ve not been able to find it.

Dusty on December 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I think lots of people have that perception, but I honestly don’t know why. MM barely ever posted at HA. She did the daily Vent for a year from 2006-07 and then, after that was canceled, would kick in maybe one post a month. How was she balancing us?

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I don’t know that I’ve gotten more conservative, I think it’s just that most of the big issues this year — gun control, immigration, and ObamaCare — are issues I’m pretty dogmatically conservative on. Hasn’t been much occasion to call me a RINO. If anything’s changed, it may be that we do less out-and-out baiting of the left than we used to. That can, I’m sure, be a drag for some readers; some people like partisan blogs because they *want* to scrap, not read some squishy moderate jerk give his stupid opinions about whatever. But if we’re doing that less, it’s not because we lack MM’s guiding hand or whatever. It’s just that we tend to ignore the left more now in writing about stuff that interests us.

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM

You’re not asking me to listen to long-time loyal customers, though. You’re asking me to listen to you and the half-dozen other people on this thread who are grumbling. You’re part of the readership that basically wants us to be as far right as possible on virtually every issue. But Ed and I aren’t that way; which means you’re asking us either to change our opinions to suit the readership or to lie to you wholesale for the sake of traffic. I get accused by people all the time of pandering for page views, but if I was really into pandering, I’d just do as you ask. Instead I try to be honest and you complain that I hate my customers or whatever.

You and I have our differences, Midas, but I respect you enough to think that you wouldn’t change your beliefs for a buck. Not sure why you expect me to.

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Before long, Twichy will be full of Hot Air too.

idesign on December 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Do you expect AP to come by your table and suggest a dessert?
DarkCurrent on December 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I believe he’s saying there should be only one item on the menu and he wants to dictate which one it should be. Have the same meal – breakfast lunch and dinner every day. Sounds appealing, eh wot?

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I tried looking for it a year or so ago and I’ve not been able to find it.

Dusty on December 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I think I remember that. Another option would be using the “blue dot” (as in the “BLUE DOT” William Kennedy Smith rape trial) or a pixelized digital image.

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM

If you check, you’ll note Twitchy has 3 sections – US Politics,Entertainment and Media.Frivolous items on celebrities falls under the “Entertainment” category. It pretty much always has, probably predating even Hedda Hopper. People are interested in such things, though you and I don’t care much about it.

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I’ll be honest, I am not sure what your point is about my negative impressions of Twitchy. Do you believe I’m alone in thinking that the site’s writing has gotten more juvenile & sensationalistic over time, or that I should like it as much as I used to despite the unpleasant changes I’ve noticed there?

Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Actually … AllahP would add much to Twitchy if running that joint was his second gig.

Think about it.

Jeddite on December 10, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying. I want you to be miserable eating food you hate rather than see you find a place you like better and enjoy yourself.

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Thank God for MM. She brings some brains and creativity to conservative media.

Pleased to hear that her next book is being published by Glenn Beck’s company. Looking forward to more collaboration between these two.

petefrt on December 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM

It took four years of hard work by the boss emeritus to make Ed and me salable.

Yes, and it has all worn off in the mean time! : P

FloatingRock on December 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Allahpundit, if you and Salem/Townhall are taking requests/comments…

It would be greatly appreciated if each post containing a video would be given a title that included “VIDEO”. In Obama’s America, not everyone can afford slick new machines capable of handling posts heavy with vids. At the very least, just link to them, don’t embed them all the time.

Thank you.

Allah, you are the reason why I visit Hot Air. Keep up the good work.

Vatican Watcher on December 10, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Who’s grumbling, Queen Gertrude?

Gohawgs on December 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM

How many posts about amnesty shills have I written since Salem bought the site in 2010? A few hundred? Good lord.

If ever you doubted that some people just like to piss and moan on the Internet, witness a guy who comments on a site he calls “RINO Inc.” And who can’t even get his criticism factually right when he does it.

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Allah, you have posted many amnesty critical threads. And you introduced me to the fine writing of Mickey Kaus. But you have to admit that TH is, by and large, pro amnesty and ,unlike you, they aren’t conflicted about it( see the support for the insane Rubio/senate bill). There has been a huge change in how a lot of conservative media is treating this issue since the 2012 election.

For instance , most conservative media has capitulated to the PC police and now almost never print the words “illegal alien”. It is cast as an “immigration” debate even by opponents. And especially by TH. So I think you are too tense and are taking it personally. I think it is reasonable for any commenter to express reservations about how newcon media has tried to “shape” the grass-roots to be more “immigrant friendly”(that would be a TH term).

BoxHead1 on December 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Heh, I still remember LGF before CJ lost his mind in a sharp Left turn. I was banned by CJ himself (I always wore that as a badge of honor) for defending HotAir against some rather insipid accusations.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Lol, I didn’t get to have that honor–I kind of drifted away from LGF before he lost his marbles. The comment threads were so long I quit commenting.

===

A thought on the celebrity stuff at Twitchy: As long as it’s in its own section, I don’t have problem with it. If it brings in more people that’s a good thing. Breitbart always said we need to be involved in pop culture in order to influence more of the debate. HuffPo is a huge successful site. The entire right column of its front page is devoted to news about celebrity boobs, but the site is considered very influential despite that section. They’ve been huffing too much though, because they just killed off their commenting system today by making everyone verify themselves through Facebook.

juliesa on December 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I’ll have the mapo doufu.

DarkCurrent on December 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Page 2 is very interesting. On to page one.

wolly4321 on December 10, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Well haven’t commented much since the election, but had to get on to say “good job” to MM. She truly is an American success story and a savvy business woman who deserves all the credit. I hope Libs are at home tonight seething in their hatefulness for her.

Vigilante on December 10, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Gun control and ObamaCare are pretty much either supported or opposed, with little “middle ground” for most people to stand on. I oppose both adamantly as well. Those are issues you’re either for it, or against it.

Immigration, as I see it, isn’t so “black and white”. There’s a lot of middle ground “gray” in there. So on that, you may be more dogmatically conservative than I, but there’s also some debate, mostly in the comment section here, of what exactly constitutes a “real conservative” anyway.

It’s hard to put a finger on it exactly, where I’ve noticed a more conservative shift in your writing on other issues, perhaps one would be the whole gay marriage debate, but then I’m not exactly an unbiased bystander there.

In any event, I really do think HotAir has only gotten better with age. That goes for you and Ed also…MM made a great choice bringing the Captain aboard after BP’s departure. For those who think HotAir has only gotten worse somehow, or has distanced itself from conservatism more and more, are probably more comfortable in an “echo chamber” of a political blog/website than in one that leans conservative but doesn’t blatantly trash the Left on a daily basis.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM

BoxHead1 on December 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM

You’re forgetting that neither AP nor Ed are told what to blog, or what terms to use, or what story to report on, by TH in any way. When HA announced the sale to Salem, there was a lot of doomsday comments not unlike some of those in this thread about the same thing happening with Twitchy. Like I said earlier, Salem/TH has always treated HA in a “hands off” way. And would expect this same “hands off” policy with Twitchy.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Actually LOLLING here: that was in reply to the complainer who griped about a variety of thoughts being on the “menu” – not you, big fella.

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I think it’s more like reading a Sunday paper. To some people it’s all news, to others all sports or all comics. Just depends on which section a person picks out to read.

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM

It’s almost Christmas 2013 and Townhall editors haven’t bothered to change the heading title to hotair’s homepage

HotAir – Politics, Culture, Media, 2012, Breaking News from a conservative viewpoint

Allahpundit’s contention that Salem doesn’t wield a heavy editorial sledgehammer is completely plausible. But whether it’s through apathy, laziness or general squishiness, the direction doesn’t bode well for twitchy.

sauldalinsky on December 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Hammer had some classics… THIS is still one of my favs.

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

This rates right up there in my book. The girl’s got spark!

egmont on December 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM

It’s not as far right as I am, this site, but I won’t complain. Some really good writing occurs,, and generally the commenters will either prop it up or tear it to pieces accordingly.

And that’s the fun in it.

I derive more enjoyment from the disection of the post,, and imagine that it takes brass balls hitting submit knowing every single word will be scrutinized.

So,,, kudos. Even if I disagree at times. At least I can say so.

wolly4321 on December 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I get 50 jiao a minute just to read this stuff

DarkCurrent on December 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend why this thread has been now made about Allah’s or Ed’s personal opinions. Who ever cared about that and who ever was discouraged to read threads or comment on them for that? It’s not the point at all.

Now that’s interesting and more to the point:

Allahpundit on December 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM

If anything’s changed, it may be that we do less out-and-out baiting of the left than we used to. (…) It’s just that we tend to ignore the left more now in writing about stuff that interests us.

Well, that explains everything and it’s not sarcasm at all.

Incidentally, I would like to know what kind of stuff interest you both.

BabyGrace on December 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Seemed like a good idea at the time. And so it was!

TfromV on December 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

That’s probably true. I’m just defending the readers right to speculate given the changing politics of the site.

And I’m not going to immune anyone’s character by insinuating that they are shilling or writing things they don’t believe. But at the same time there has been a big shift in the last 5 years by con media on illegal immigration. FOX was basically selling RUbio’s bill for months. This big shift was done despite the fact that the voters/viewers hadn’t shifted. Proof is that Rubio is now running away from his own plan. And Fox/TH/NRO are no longer trumpeting it. But it was a weird disconnect between the folks(as Obama says) and the media that they thought represented them. It has made a lot of us wary and more cynical about all these conservative “thought leaders”.

Also, they skewered Cruz here(Allah,Ed and everyone) for the filibuster. A lot of us are still waiting for the counter plan to end Obamacare. Realists know that at some point it will have to be defunded. The fantasy writers around here haven’t explained how the end to their story goes. Also, the straw man -Obama would veto it – WAS disingenuous . Everyone, including Ed a Allah CK… knew that the point was to draw lines and get on the right side of history – not to de-fund it then and there.

They all just assumed OCare would work better the it did I guess. If they had backed the filibuster and de-funding/repealing they’d be in great shape now. The public didn’t know what to think because the repubs were busy trashing the hero of the moment. Imagine if they backed Cruz. It could of been a huge “I told you so”.

I’m not b*tch*ng. HA is for me the #2 blog on the internet because of it’s excellent writing. Especially Allah (but Ed and the rest are very good as well). But it’s totally fair for a reader to put their 2cents in on a perceived leftward drift of HA since the TH purchase.

OMG, this post went long.

BoxHead1 on December 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM

impune

BoxHead1 on December 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM

impugn

BoxHead1 on December 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM

As long as twitchy”s horrifyingly overuse of:

Shreds
Devastating
Destroys
Slams

…describing any tweet from anyone to the Right of Scoop Jackson in regard to anyone to the Left of Nelson Rockefeller doesn’t become commonplace at HA.

mankai on December 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Hi AllahP! (waves)

Good news that, always loved MM, that lady got balls!! :)

The bigger the family grows the better I say.

IMVHO HA is the top site, and it is because of the likes of Ed Allah MKH Jazz and all the others…I do miss Doc Zero tho, any chance he’d come back for a guest spot now and again?

As an aside tho AP, did you like banhammer Bluegill? O_0

HA TH and Twitchy Rule!!

Scrumpy on December 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

WTG and bravo Michelle…..again.

Count me in on the next investment. I’ve got an old marble collection, and a few baseball cards I could part with.

Rovin on December 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM

whatcat on December 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I have been reading all sections of Twitchy, near daily, since its inception. Despite its too-often bursts of immaturity, an aspect which I believe has been changing for the worse, I still like the site.

Oh – there is no way in any possible future that TH’s purchase will improve the site. :)

Anti-Control on December 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM

awesome, i love twitchy! =)

Sachiko on December 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM

*sigh*

Just another blog. Will Twitchy eventually become just another Twitter aggregation site? If it weren’t for my fellow commenters, I dunno that I’d bother staying here at HotAir. Blech.

gryphon202 on December 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

JetBoy on December 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I followed Ed over from Captain’s Quarters, had not been reading HA before, so I can’t weigh in on the before-after debate.
What impressed me then (and still does) is Ed’s ability to give the Leftists every possible benefit of the doubt, explain their reasoning without impugning their personal character (except when some character flaw is the point of the post), and still soundly demolish their positions.

If I wanted screaming and yelling, I would listen to the radio and tv (which I loathe).

AesopFan on December 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM

AesopFan on December 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM

It is precisely that kind of philosophical/intellectual posturing that has led conservatism to the brink of the dustbin of history already. We need a punditocracy here on the right that is comfortable with being thought of as an enemy to the left, as well as thinking of the left in the same terms. Unless and until that happens, we’re going to be Alinskyed over and over and over and over again while the big boys on Capital Hill on both sides of the aisle bathe in the sweet sweet tax revenue.

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Not my cup of tea.

OldEnglish on December 11, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I don’t think this is a RINO site but there is an editorial tendency to take issues at face-value with the intention of being fair to individuals. Bill O-Reilly takes his version of “fairness” to epic cariacature, which is why he is distrusted by many.

Throughout the recent Cruz-fest, for example, there was debate on the procedural practicality of his tactics when to a conservative the strategy was what mattered, even when the battle was lost. Cruz made a bigger impression on US politics in a week than Mitch McConnell and John Boehner have had in their entire leadership tenure – that should matter to conservatives – that they have incompetent and inconsequential leadership. It was never an issue of Cruz getting the votes.

Stories are one thing but narrative is another. A gay-marriage story isn’t really about the issue-at-hand, but the bigger question of the corruption of culture that never gets discussed as long as there are miniscule arguments over particulars.

virgo on December 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM

virgo on December 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM

…which is why HotAir isn’t any different than most of the dextrosphere, unfortunately. Not a bad little blog to be sure, but one of scores of them out there.

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM

gryphon202 on December 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I agree 100%. As someone who doesn’t post very often but has been registered since before Bryan Preston’s departure, I’ve also grown to find Ed’s overall tone to be subtly, but increasingly, condescending over time. That’s probably not his intention, but it doesn’t matter. You don’t need to pre-emptively chide your readers about the conclusions they may potentially be jumping to in every single blog post, before they’ve even done it. And I know I always bring up the Giffords thing, but it’s because that was the absolute most galling and counter-productive example of the “intellectual posturing” described above.

Conversely, there are plenty of things I’ve disagreed with Allahpundit about, but I’ve never felt like he talks down to people, here. And my most frequent points of disagreement with him are either irreconcilable (atheism) or trivial (The Walking Dead), so there isn’t much point in wasting either of our time on them. Besides which, more so than any other single person, AP is Hot Air. Like it or not, this site would fall apart without him, and that’s just the way it is.

Cylor on December 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Allahpundit almost singlehandedly flipped me from a liberal brat to a conservative sweetheart. It takes a special talent to do that. If this site were just another firebrand preach-to-the-choir politics portal, I might still be a defiantly brainwashed Obama lover, who knows. Just something to think about.

And Twitchy is great. Michelle was smart to create a “storified” aggregation adjunct to Twitter, especially one with a conservative bent. We need to go boldly into the underbelly of pop culture and de-liberalize it, and Twitchy is a good example of that! So kudos to Salem for seeing the value in that and giving MM the riches she earns and deserves. (I just hope they improve the mobile app for Android at some point!)

EarthToZoey on December 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I miss the OLD OLD OLD Allah Pundit. His site was a MUST for quite a while. In fact, I came to THIS site when I heard he was here. Amusingly, it was through Little Green Footballs that I learned of his old site.

Shambhala on December 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I think I got the message…

d1carter on December 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

No, I don’t think you do. You are now in contempt of court.

Would you like to go for…two counts?

/Judge Haller

thejackal on December 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I was very smart this day and stayed off this thread. I really thought for a minute Allah was gonna send the gilled one off for French. Alas……

Bmore on March 31, 2014 at 12:39 AM