Alan Grayson scammed out of millions…for the second time

posted at 9:21 pm on December 10, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Would it be too mean to say, maybe at a certain point, you’ve made enough money?

Rep. Alan Grayson, the famously strident liberal, is also one of the richest people in Congress. He’s now quite a bit less rich because he got duped out of $18 million in an investment scheme:

For the second time in his life, Rep. Alan Grayson (D-FL) has lost millions to fraud.

Grayson was recently named in federal court papers in the case against William Dean Chapman, a Virginia man who was sentenced Friday to 12 years in prison. Chapman pleaded guilty in May to a scheme that cheated Grayson and about 120 other people out of more than $35 million, The Associated Press reported on Monday.

Yikes, not cool, even for an adversary as nasty as Grayson. He’s the one who doesn’t think people should keep what they earn, not me. Grayson’s name was supposed to be concealed in official documents, but references to his full name slipped through:

Nothing in the court papers suggests Grayson was anything but a victim of the scheme. Grayson, a former trial attorney, said he has had a long record for picking winning stocks, which formed the basis for his personal fortune.

The scheme worked like this: clients would turn over their stocks to Chapman as collateral for a loan, and Chapman would let customers borrow about 90% of the stocks’ value.

If the stocks did badly, borrowers could walk away and keep the money they were loaned. If the borrowers’ stocks did well, they would repay the loan with interest, and Chapman was supposed to return the stocks to the investor at their increased value.

According to court papers, Chapman sold the stocks and had no way to fulfill his obligations if a client’s stock portfolio did well.

“That’s why (Chapman) is going to prison for a long, long time,” Grayson said. “At least in the end, some kind of justice was served.”

In Grayson’s case, his stocks performed astronomically well while they were entrusted to Chapman and his company, Alexander Capital Markets.

It sounds like Grayson hadn’t found out about the first scam before he invested in the second, so it’s not as dumb as it sounds. But it does sound like he might be some sort of stock savant, capable of picking phenomenally but incapable of reading personalities and social cues that would give away a scam like this. Also, isn’t it curious that even though Grayson is one of the richest people in Congress, that’s never a giant part of his biography when he’s profiled and referred to in media huh?

And, while we’re on a schadenfreudey kick, enjoy “SNL” knocking Al Sharpton this weekend. But these guys are the smart ones, right?

Kenan Thompson, SNL’s Al Sharpton, spent the joke segment discussing the “fixed” Obamacare website in a discussion with “unpaid Huffington Post correspondent” Paul Douchet (whose name Sharpton could not pronounce), played by Paul Rudd. “The website now works 90 percent of the time, but Republicans still don’t want to give credit where credit is kind of due,” Sharpton said. The health-care website is “now capable of handling 800,000 folks a day. Wow. That’s 200,000 short of a butt-load,” he said.

To back his claim, Thompson’s Sharpton cites only Obama and the Obama administration: “This law is working. President Obama said it, the White House report said it, and the official white House spokesman said it. That’s three different people. How much more evidence do we need?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Nelson Muntz says HA HA

lorien1973 on December 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

malclave on December 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Ms. Ham, it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

There’s nothing that could happen to this guy to make feel sorry for him. I hope he continues to get scammed this.

Flange on December 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM

A fool and his money…..or you have…there’s a sucker born every minute. Either probably apply

jaywemm on December 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Typical idiot democrat.

Murphy9 on December 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Schadenfreude is usually a dirty, sanctimonious indulgence and it is best avoided. But in this case… Couldn’t happen to a more loathe some scumbag.

SAMinVA on December 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

And if you were deserving of any respect, your opinion might count to someone.

malclave on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Well, it is a resume enhancer for what he does now.

At least this time he did it with some of his own money.

cozmo on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Unless he goes to jail the left wing lunatic district where he comes from is going to re-elect him… In a democratic process of elections the politicians are the products of the voters and nothing else…

mnjg on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Sweet.

Pork-Chop on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Ms. Ham, it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I specifically said, in the post, “not cool, even for” Grayson. Reading comprehension is key.

Mary Katharine Ham on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Flange on December 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Oops, I left out a “me” and “like” from that last post.

Flange on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Reading comprehension is key.

Mary Katharine Ham on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Knowing partisan nonpartisan is the real key here.

cozmo on December 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

To be scammed out of millions for the second time means that he is doing a dishonest business…

mnjg on December 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

nonpartisan is a MKH sock.

Murphy9 on December 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I sawr it on pintrest :)

Murphy9 on December 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Alan Grayson scammed out of millions…for the second time

I’m crying. Seriously. The tears are just flowing down my face and stopping me from playing that little violin.

JimLennon on December 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

No, it`s totally cool for him. Call me a bad person, I`m tired of playing the goody-goody for these clowns.

ThePrez on December 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Ms. Ham, it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I am enjoying his misery because he deserves it… No one who got scammed for millions for a second time is an honest person… He is doing some dishonest deals to be scammed like this twice…

mnjg on December 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Ms. Ham, it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

What you term “misfortune” might be more appropriately deemed karma. Now go play in traffic and find yours.

M240H on December 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Morons and jackasses no longer deserve sympathy.

Ms. Ham, it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

I rest my case.

nobar on December 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Alan Grayson scammed out of millions…for the second time

“But, but, MILLIONS just DISAPPEARED, I was scammed, I tell ya’, I was scammed, I don’t have the faintest idea WHERE it all went, I mean, wow, it just VANISHED…”

Remember JON CORZINE?

Interesting how these heavy-duty union Democrats seem to ~just lose millions~ like it was rain water on a sandy beach.

Lourdes on December 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

How the hell did he have this much money to begin with? Inherit? I know he didn’t earn it the old fashion way.

rich8450 on December 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

A rich person who believes in the free lunch is the perfect mark. You know, limo-liberal idiots.

Might be time for a career change.

forest on December 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

The comprehension of anything other than its own feewings is a bridge to far for this one.

TXUS on December 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I’d rather see him lose his seat in Congress and never get it back.

natasha333 on December 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

And remember Bernie Madoff?

He was a Democrat, too. Just ~lost~ all that money, poof, vanished, no idea where, how, ::just disappeared.::

Lourdes on December 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Ms. Ham, it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

You are a sanctimonious schmuck. You only come here to try to make yourself feel superior to other people, and fail badly.

Jeff Weimer on December 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, I’m a Democrat.

Myron Falwell on December 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

rich8450 on December 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I think the First Rule of Democrat Politician is:

You do not talk about where the money came from.

And the Second Rule of Democrat Politician is:

You do not talk about where the money went.

Lourdes on December 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

That is based on the assumption that nonpartisan knows how to read.

Myron Falwell on December 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I’d rather see him lose his seat in Congress and never get it back.

natasha333 on December 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

A perfect representative for the majority of his constituents.

cozmo on December 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

MKH, your honest insight in the misfortune of others is noble and humanly spot on.
I, on the other hand am working on attaining your level of integrity. I have yet to even come close when it involves human scum like Alan Grayson….dang it! See what I mean?
Anyway..I would have like to see him lose everything and end up being prosecuted..D’oh!..I give up.

Mimzey on December 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, I’m a Democrat.

Myron Falwell on December 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

He is doing shady deals… For him to be scammed by millions of dollars twice means that he is doing dishonest business deals…

mnjg on December 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Ms. Ham, it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I’m looking forward to the day when Ms. Ham reports on George Soros losing all his billions. By an inevitable Act of God. Because the Act is going to happen. Hopefully Ms. Ham will have access to a good report about it when it does.

Lourdes on December 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Grayson’s a d-bag. Look at the crap he pulls. Maybe nature is just settling up. I don’t wish ill will upon him, but I’m not gonna weep if he gets hosed.

tpitman on December 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

mnjg on December 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

NO KIDDING!

Lourdes on December 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Hmmmm….member of Congress, which makes law, does phenomenally well in the stock market.

Luck….or an extreme user (or more accurately “creator”) of inside information.

1. Invest in no-name stock
2. Create law that benefits the entity.
3. Sell high

All perfectly legal. For Congressmen.

BobMbx on December 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM

mnjg on December 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

In other words, it’s a perfect resume enhancement for him. After all, he is a Dem. If he were a GOPer, everyone would be tripping over themselves to drag him out of the decidedly undrained DC swamp.

Myron Falwell on December 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Lourdes on December 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

“Somehow” is the current term.

BobMbx on December 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

And if you were deserving of any respect, your opinion might count to someone.

malclave on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

*applause*

As for Grayson – HAW HAW

kim roy on December 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM

They say that con artists are the most easily conned. A.G. is a lawyer and a legislator, and in both roles his job is to win people over to his argument. Given that he’s a Democrat, and given their machine politics, I’d say that he’s a pretty good con artist and what he’s done in the legislature has cost the country far more than he was hit up for.

njcommuter on December 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM

noforeskin on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

…you’re looking down at the stub… between your legs again?

KOOLAID2 on December 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Life is one long IQ test. Not all pass.

Tom Servo on December 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Yikes, not cool, even for an adversary as nasty as Grayson.

Nope, it’s definitely cool.

Karma’s a Grays–err, I mean, b*tch.

thirtyandseven on December 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Sad, but true. It’s typical MSM and White House Press Corps reporting.

HellCat on December 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM

sopartisan still trying to achieve at least a 77 on her IQ test I see.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I have an idea….trust him with the public’s money. Smart move.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

But it does sound like he might be some sort of stock savant…

Yeah, amazing what a Congressperson immune from insider trading can accomplish, ain’t it?

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Reading comprehension is key.

Mary Katharine Ham

Harvard Law School don’t do no reading comprehension.

You are a sanctimonious schmuck.

Jeff Weimer

I prefer dumb f*&k.

xblade on December 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Has anyone looked into how this degenerate actually got rich to begin with?

forest on December 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Some intrepid journalist might want to take a deeper look at Grayson’s finances. Dig deep and find a few minor discrepancies.

jaywemm on December 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Something’s fishy here. If he’d held those stocks at any leading brokerage house, he could have qualified for a loan amounting to a very substantial percentage (at least half) of their value, for a comparatively modest (for him) fee. As his stocks went up in value, he would have qualified for more and more loan money. He must have been one greedy shmuck to sniff at those terms.

Seth Halpern on December 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Ms. Ham, it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

Mary Katharine Ham on December 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

True.

It’s also impossible for someone like ‘nonpartisan’ (sic) with the IQ of a yam.

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM

“You can’t cheat an honest man.” ~ W.C. Fields

thatsafactjack on December 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Just proves despite his money he is a fool.

Tater Salad on December 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I’m trying to feel true, decent Christian empathy for Alan Grayson on this one.
Trying….
Trying…
Try—Hey, there it—no, that was gas.
….
Sorry. Can’t manage it.

orangemtl on December 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM

It’s not a mystery how members of Congress do well in picking stocks. There is nothing illegal about members purchasing investments based on confidential information thru hearings and investigations. If a member knows that a fine or investigation is coming down the way, they can sell it off. On the flip side, they can invest in a company that they know is getting a government contract around the corner…… It’s all totally legal for them to do so. My guess is that Grayson took full advantage of this perk.

JeffinOrlando on December 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Yeah this guy deserves respect.////

MontanaMmmm on December 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM

nonpartisan is a MKH sock.

Murphy9 on December 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

You know? You could very well be right about that. Definitely ain’t a real ‘tard. The plant is so obvious someone needs to water it.

Lanceman on December 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Has anyone looked into how this degenerate actually got rich to begin with?

forest on December 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Ambulance chaser is my bet. He looks like the guy begging for injury claims on TV at 2 a.m.

Actually he made his name in contract law and went after contractors who defrauded the government during the Iraq war.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

It’s also impossible for someone like ‘nonpartisan’ (sic) with the IQ of a yam.

Midas on December 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Yams of the world are deeply offended.

SoRight on December 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Sorry bot someone with his background in business doesn’t get scammed like this. There’s very little chance that he didn’t know what was going on and was profiting from it or expected to profit from it.

kcewa on December 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

kcewa on December 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Yet America twice elected a fool with experience doing absolutely nothing of substance in his life.

Sure.

Lanceman on December 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Has anyone looked into how this degenerate actually got rich to begin with?

forest on December 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Selling prepaid international long distance phone cards. AKA money laundering.

kcewa on December 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Fool me once. Shame on you.

Fool me twice. Shame on me.

Serves the guy right. I will happily revel in his misfortune because he deserves it in spades.

CurtZHP on December 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Grayson is a stock picking savant like Hillary is a cattle futures savant. #dubious

Bitter Clinger on December 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM

If he has lost an amount exceeding eight figures, for the second time, what makes anyone stupid enough to believe he is more careful with YOUR money.

Oh, yes, a Dem safe seat in university territory. Must be some really really oblivious (or downright stupid) graduates coming out of that school system.

jhnone on December 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM

If the law was doing its job here, Grayson would be in trouble on this scheme.

Borrowing 90% against stocks is a violation of margin rules. It’s a crime. If Grayson isn’t guilty of violating margin rules that can only be because he transferred the risk of loss on the stock to Chapman. That is a sale of the shares and it triggers a tax payment. Not paying the tax is a crime.

Either way Grayson looks like he has some serious explaining to do.

MTF on December 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

There is an old stock market saying that “Bulls can make money sometimes and Bears can make money sometimes, but hogs always get slaughtered.” Here’s a guy who can pick winning stocks, but that just isn’t good enough for him. He’s got to get involved with some cockamamie scheme to make a few extra bucks, that he obviously doesn’t need anyway? I guess this is just one more reason to think we are dealing with one sick puppy.

Fred 2 on December 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Finally, some good news.

Belle on December 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Btw, stock-picking and monitoring is a full-time job (or nearly) for a lot of people. Ahem.

Seth Halpern on December 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Even for a jackwagon the caliber of Grayson, that’s a lot of money to lose. I feel for him. Unfortunately I can’t reach him.

ghostwalker1 on December 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Yikes, not cool, even for an adversary as nasty as Grayson.

Oh, please … Grayson not only deserves to be parted with his money, but he deserves so much worse. The only reason this isn’t “cool” is because it’s chump change. Grayson ought to lose everything and be walking the streets.

So, they bought puts at a strike of 90% of the stock price … but they bought them from an individual instead of over an exchange. Sounds sort of stupid, especially as they, evidently, had no guarantee that the puts would be paid off or what the guy “selling” the puts to them was doing to safeguard their underlying stocks. Obviously, the guy was doing something with the stocks … that’s the whole reason he bought control of them for.

I don’t see what the fraud, here, is. The idiot “investors” didn’t bother doing any due diligence and they bought into something that turned out as anyone with a brain might have expected it to.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Ms. Ham, it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

But then, who cares what you think?

Ward Cleaver on December 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Scammed twice? What a putz.

Ward Cleaver on December 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Joseph Weil, a/k/a “The Yellow Kid,” was one of the world’s top con artists around the turn of the 20th Century. His victims included bankers, CEOs, all sorts of very wealthy men.

He later wrote that he was not sorry for anything except getting caught. Every single one of his victims were taken because they thought they were scamming someone else. If they had been honest, they would never have thrown in with Weil’s schemes.

Adjoran on December 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Grayson is not a savant at picking the right stocks, he is trading on insider information, he just wanted to be able to leverage his position, since he knew he cant lose. Congress exempted itself from insider trading laws, so nothing to see here, move along.

anikol on December 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Nasty and stupid. What a combo.

trigon on December 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Good thing he has his looks.

Oh. Wait…

trigon on December 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM

From whence came this notion that the suffering of a despicable enemy was not to be enjoyed? Grayson is a lying, conniving criminal who uses his office to poison and destroy the greatest nation on earth. Why in G-d’s name would I fail to revel in ANYTHING that retards his ability to achieve that objective? If a man were headed to my house to kill me and while crossing the street to my home he was struck by a drunk driver and killed, I might still want to see the drunk driver punished or rehabilitated (mainly so he doesn’t hurt someone less deserving) just like I’d like the guy who scammed Grayson to go to jail, but I’m still going to be thrilled that each of the pre-emptive strikes occurred.

SoRight on December 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM

How in hell did this man get re elected to Congress? The only answer is that the voters in his district have room temperature IQs. He is even an insult to the great reputation of lawyers and all other members of the United States Congress.

SC.Charlie on December 11, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Sociopaths usually have that problem, so no surprise there.

Gatsu on December 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Of course not, just happened to have been taken twice…just happended to have happened.

Just a coincidence…or maybe his “luck” finally caught up with him?

right2bright on December 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM

anikol on December 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Exactly…he just happened to be a “savant” that happened to be scammed…

right2bright on December 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Sociopaths usually have that problem, so no surprise there.

Gatsu on December 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Actually, the opposite. Sociopaths are very good at reading “personalities” and social cues. That is what gives them the ability to dupe people. They just can’t have very good interactions with people beyond using them. They belong to a cluster of personality disorders such as anti-social (sociopath), narcissistic, borderline, and histrionic. All of which lack true empathy but are loaded with feelings of entitlement.

rlwo2008 on December 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Just a coincidence…or maybe his “luck” finally caught up with him?

right2bright on December 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Karma is a b!itch.

Bitter Clinger on December 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Remember JON CORZINE?

Lourdes on December 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Grayson at least managed to just lose his own money. Corzine, OTOH, managed to “lose” over $1 billion of other peoples’ money when he and his cronies looted MF Global. And since a large chunk of that money wound up in the Obama campaign’s coffers, Corzine will never have to worry about spending a single night in jail. He just has to lay low until January 2017 and the inevitable WH pardon.

I’ll bet “non”-partisan did plenty of reveling in others’ misfortune over those thousands of people from whom Corzine stole their life savings, though.

Gator Country on December 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM

AMAZING how the media kept up non stop on romneys wealth but not the democrats, could that be because of the class warfare the dems and the liberal media play.
When it is well known the richest ones in congress are all dems.

also how can GRAYSON be so rich as to loose 18 million and then say he is for the common man.

kinda ironic isnt it, on both counts.

sniffles1999 on December 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM

..it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Hey numnutz…if it wasn’t for the “misfortune of others” shyster, greedy lawyers wouldn’t have the huge piles of cash to lose on their own accord….

dolts are everywhere… sheeeesh

BigSven on December 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Slightly altering the lyrics of the Beatles hit of the 60′s to the people who scammed this turd: “I’d Like To Shake Your Hand”.

MaiDee on December 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

But it does sound like he might be some sort of stock savant inside trader, capable of picking phenomenally but incapable of reading personalities and social cues that would give away a scam like this.

FIFY.

Maddie on December 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Ms. Ham, it’s not nice to revel in the misfortune of others.

nonpartisan on December 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

You do realize that every second you spend posting here is one second less time you have to play with yourself, do you not?

Maddie on December 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Dupe is as dupe does.

And it’s friggin’ awesome!!!

RedNewEnglander on December 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Given how he conducts himself politically, he’s never heard the statement “too good to be true.” He is a scam himself. I don’t expect him to have the mental wherewithal to recognize when he is being scammed.

Quartermaster on December 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Here’s a way to keep your money for a lifetime, Alan: die quickly.

Isn’t there something that is said about a certain type of person and their money….hmmm…

Axeman on December 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM

What if it wasn’t a scam but rather a scheme? Millions tax free in some foreign account plus the casualty loss tax write off. Consider the source. Stupid like a fox. The world is a shifty corrupt place with these dirtbags in charge.

pc on December 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM