Lone Survivor: Marcus Luttrell on Operation Redwing, eight years later

posted at 6:01 pm on December 9, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

As I mentioned back in August, I was pumped when I first learned that Hollywood was basing a film off of Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of Seal Team 10, the mind-blowing biography by retired Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell, but simultaneously very wary, because — well, it’s Hollywood. It’s a story that undoubtedly deserves to be retold again and again, especially to a wider movie-going audience, but the book was far too moving, intense, and worthy a play-by-play of extraordinary valor and all-American badassery to risk any political perversions. “60 Minutes” had a few of the answers to some of my reservations during their special on Luttrell’s experiences and the upcoming movie last night, and I have to say, my hopes for an all-around in-good-faith adaptation are getting stronger.

Here’s another trailer for the movie, which comes out this January:

Comments

I saw him on sixty minutes.

All I can say is: Thank you for your service.

Mr. Joe on December 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I forget which talk show host I was listening to at the time, but from what was said, Marcus Luttrell basically walked into the room full of the movie producers, etc.. and said: “If you betray my friends, I will kill every one of you.”

Yeah, I’ve got high hopes for this one. Not because I trust Hollywood, I just think they believed him.

Apollyon on December 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM

prediction I made a while ago– “Lone Survivor” will be a surprise hit at the theaters, as were “Zero Dark Thirty”, “Act of Valor”, or any other relatively patriotic, pro-military movie

And again, Hollywood libidiots will be baffled how such a “low brow” movie is popular when all the usual anti-military crap they churn out flops…

We need to go support this movie in droves

thurman on December 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I read this book when it was first published – it brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion – I will likely read it again prior to seeing the movie.

An incredible story – of bravery. . . .

karra on December 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I’ve had hopes for this film since I heard the list of actors that was being connected to it. Say what you want about Mark Wahlberg but you just knew he didn’t want to make a popcorn hollywood movie and sweep it under the rug; he has extreme respect for these men and would make sure the movie reflected that.

I’ve made sure to recommend the book to friends whenever war movies/books come up. It’s a great read and definitely times where you can’t help but be extremely moved by these men…allergies will get the best of you for sure!

nextgen_repub on December 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM

We need to go support this movie in droves

thurman on December 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM

One of the rare occasions, I will actually
go to the theater.

bazil9 on December 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

============

Ahems,…(snark),..keep it on the low downs,..Hopey will be/get embarrassed,
and it’ll be another speechy speechifications all over again, of the Evil
Great Satan!!

canopfor on December 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

nextgen_repub on December 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Ditto that.

I’d much rather see Wahlberg than, say, Matt Damon.

JetBoy on December 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Speaking of Fire-Arms:

The Associated Press ‏@AP 5m

Congress beats deadline to renew ban on plastic guns; GOP defeats effort to tighten restrictions: http://apne.ws/1jFLuHy -SS
=================================================

Congress renews undetectable gun ban for decade
By ALAN FRAM

Operation Red Wings
June 28, 2005
*************

LT Michael P. Murphy USN

canopfor on December 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

NightMarish:

A fierce firefight erupted between the four SEALs and a much larger enemy force of more than 50 anti-coalition militia. The enemy had the SEALs outnumbered. They also had terrain advantage. They launched a well-organized, three-sided attack on the SEALs. The firefight continued relentlessly as the overwhelming militia forced the team deeper into a ravine.

canopfor on December 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I saw the movie recently at a screening. Beyond my certain criticisms of style and dialogue, the film fails to acknowledge that Lt. Michael Murphy was post humously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions during Red Wings (not Redwing). The best part of the film in my view was its segment on the actual SEALS.

I suggest as additional viewing, the documentary on Lt. Murphy, soon available on DVD.

rrpjr on December 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Read the book, That is right in all things. The story is riveting and illustrates in no uncertain terms the level of badassery men of valor are capable of. I wanna be 18 again and join the SEALS.

jake49 on December 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM

— well, it’s Hollywood.

Pretty sure Peter Berg is one of the exceptions from the rule.

BigWyo on December 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM

“progressives” sleep secure at night because better and rougher men than they stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Bevan on December 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I love the movie producer death threat motif. This should be expanded into other areas.

Mason on December 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM

They were discussing this on The Five. Bob Beckel wanted to make it all about how the SEALs rules of engagement were immoral. There are times when I hate liberals and there are times I truly despise them. This is one of those latter times.

Happy Nomad on December 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I can’t wait for the movie. I work for Walmart and Marcus came to visit us on one of our monthly Saturday morning meetings. I was an EOD tech in the Navy so made it a point to meet him at the end of meeting. Big guy. Imposing.

Charlemagne on December 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Semi – O T:

Does anyone here know what the final outcome was, for those (expletive) idiots who murdered his dog, Daisy?

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

A real hero in every sense of the word. Hand salute. These are the kind of people the left will never understand and they will never have anyone that will ever emmulate them. They have their che and fidel and their nelson mandela. They have their obama, their ted kennedy, their traitor john kerry and the rats that are in Congress but none of them can even come close to the people like these who live and die breathing their oath, unlike lefty politicians who never live up to their oath.

crosshugger on December 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I believe that during the interview Cooper mentioned some video shot by an American who was embedded with the enemy that attacked and killed Luttrell’s brothers in arms. Naturally, AC didn’t happen to mention his name. Anyone know who he is?

pat buchanatar on December 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

pat buchanatar on December 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

As I heard it, it was obtained by a reporter with military sources, not by one embedded with the enemy.

rrpjr on December 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I read the book …. and cried ….
I am a different kind of bastard, I would have killed the goat herders …
very quietly … that is what gave them away.

conservative tarheel on December 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

conservative tarheel on December 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

It’s never been explained why they couldn’t take them to the evac site with them, then let them go. There must be a reason.

rrpjr on December 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM

nextgen_repub on December 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Back when he was “Marky Mark’..I absolutely despised that guy..

But after he started the acting thing..I realized that he does have some talent…and he’s not a flaming Liberal Tool. He might actually be one but he doesn’t’ wear it on his sleeve…

His older brother Donnie is a different story…

BigWyo on December 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Jail time. Not maximum sentence though. It’s on his wikipedia page, which is linked from the page on the op that canopfor linked above (where I just read it).

gh on December 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Got an advance copy and viewed it this weekend and, Erika, you will be very pleased with the final product. The director stayed true to the book and, more important, to the SEALs lost during that horrific ordeal. Also, the action scenes were so realistic, no doubt thanks to Marcus and the other SEALs who consulted, there were times I thought I was about to die in the firefights, it’s that good.

Definitely a 5 on Ed’s HotAir scale, and I can’t wait to see it again on the big screen. Best military/action movie ever, and that includes Private Ryan.

TXUS on December 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Not nearly the pain they should have been made to endure but…

SauerKraut537 on December 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

for the record, Mark Wahlberg seems like a very down to earth guy compared to all the usual leftist dilletantes in Hollywood

He’s a devout Catholic and leads a very quiet, family oriented life

I suspect he may be a closet conservative, or at least close enough to one for Hollywood, but keeps it close to the vest

I thought it was silly they cast a 5’8″ actor to play Luttrell (who’s well over 6′) but I can’t imagine many other effete actors in Hollywood who could pull it off

Luttrell is fairly active politically (he’s a good friend of Rick Perry and has done events with Glenn Beck), so I’m sure libidiots will push to boycott this

I’ll make sure to see it 2-3 times myself to make up for those morons, if it’s half as good as it looks

thurman on December 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Sounds like a must see. I’ll make a point of it.

wolly4321 on December 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

gh on December 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Not nearly the pain they should have been made to endure but…

SauerKraut537 on December 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Thanks, to both of you.

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I’ve read the book and am SO looking forward to the movie. I saw online during casting that Marcus was not too wild about Wahlberg because of his height, but decided for him after meeting him and getting to know him.

My sister met Marcus at a Glenn Beck rally shortly after his book came out, before he got married. She said Marcus was imposing and at first she was kinda scared, but then her “mommy” instincts kicked in once she saw how he was so damaged by this event. She ended up giving him hugs, which he appreciated. Seeing the 60 Minutes interview, my sister said he has come a long way since she met him.

chelie on December 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Not worth 16 American lives to follow rules of engagement stacked against the fighting man.

AshleyTKing on December 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM

chelie on December 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM

You and your sister will not be disappointed. Hollywood got this one right, it will be a smash hit.

TXUS on December 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Jason Shuman … executive producer
Spencer Silna … executive producer
Barry Spikings … producer
Tamara Stuparich de la Barra … executive producer
Mark Wahlberg … producer

Kermit on December 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM

a well done piece by 60 minutes on this story..Can’t wait for the movie and the book was a real tear jerker for me..Heroes died and survived on that mission..God bless Marcus and his brother and other Navy Seals.

sadsushi on December 10, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Happy Nomad on December 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Really? SEAL ROE immoral? Sounds like it’s time for Bobby boy to go on an operation…then interview him.

NavyMustang on December 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM

The Obama administration needs to grant Gulab and his family immediate US citizenship. What an honorable man.

Hill60 on December 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Well, the book is now on my reading list. I might even see this movie in the theater if I can afford it.

GWB on December 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My allergies were horrible reading The Lone Survivor. I feel lucky because I have a signed copy of it.

That said, Marcus still gets the name of the mission wrong. As someone pointed out above,it was Operation Red Wings. The officer who gave names to their missions was a huge hockey fan. Each mission had a name of one of the NHL hockey teams.

Conservative4Ever on December 10, 2013 at 3:26 PM