Colin Powell: Second look at single-payer health care?

posted at 8:31 pm on December 9, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via the Right Scoop. I was trying to decide whether to blog this as my last post of the day or the story about social conservatives wanting to draft Mike Huckabee to run for president in 2016. But then I realized, I’ve already written the Huckabee post a good dozen times before. Whereas I can’t have written stories about Powell’s drift from conservatism more than ten times.

To think, some of you guys say he’s in the tank for Obama. Not so. He’s evidently a true believer in socialized medicine.

“I am not an expert in health care, or Obamacare, or the Affordable Care Act, or however you choose to describe it, but I do know this: I have benefited from that kind of universal health care in my 55 years of public life,” Powell said, according to the Puget Sound Business Journal, last week at an annual “survivors celebration breakfast” in Seattle for those who, like Powell, have battled prostate cancer. “And I don’t see why we can’t do what Europe is doing, what Canada is doing, what Korea is doing, what all these other places are doing.”…

A retired four-star general and former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Powell told the audience about a woman named Anne, who as his firewood supplier, faced a healthcare scare of her own. Anne asked Powell to help pay for her healthcare bills, as her insurance didn’t cover an MRI she needed as a prerequisite to being treated for a growth in her brain. In addition, Powell’s wife Alma recently suffered from three aneurysms and an artery blockage. ”After these two events, of Alma and Anne, I’ve been thinking, why is it like this?” said Powell.

“We are a wealthy enough country with the capacity to make sure that every one of our fellow citizens has access to quality health care,” Powell. “(Let’s show) the rest of the world what our democratic system is all about and how we take care of all of our citizens.”

In most contexts I can grudgingly tolerate the idea of a country that’s $17 trillion in debt, with tens of trillions in unfunded liabilities on top of that, being described as “wealthy,” but in the context of a plea for “Medicare for all”? When it’s Medicare, more than anything else, that’ll be eating through the federal budget in the next few decades? Four years ago, Powell told CNN that he was a “little concerned” about spending. Define “little,” please.

Too bad for this guy, though, that he’s already well into 70s. Given his name recognition, his favorable rating among the public, and the fact that he’s tilted reliably liberal in his public pronouncements in the age of Obama, he might have been in line for some sort of appointment either by O or the next Democratic president if he was younger. Imagine the PR value in naming Dubya’s former secretary of state to some ambassadorship or even a cabinet position now that he’s “seen the light.” It’d be like Zell Miller speaking at the 2004 GOP convention times a thousand. Alas, by the time John Kerry narrowly defeats Huckabee for the presidency in a tight race in 2016, Powell will be pushing 80. We’ll have to look elsewhere for our next secretary of Health and Human Services.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

No. Go away, progressive.

kim roy on December 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Fine, sign up for ObamaCare and get a nifty preview.

ThePrez on December 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I bought that man’s book. I couldn’t read it, but I bought it.

Axe on December 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Colin Powell — the useful idiot gift that keeps on uselessly giving.

rrpjr on December 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

At 80 and senile, he’d still do a better job that whatsherface.

nukemhill on December 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM

And to think that so many Republicans wanted Powell for President. I’m glad we never got him or McCain. So much for the military producing conservatives.

Stoic Patriot on December 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM

“Alas, by the time John Kerry narrowly defeats Huckabee for the presidency in a tight race . . .”

^ Laughed out loud at that.

Axe on December 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Waitaminute. Quality healthcare is just the OPPOSITE of government controlled healthcare. I suggest that before Mr. Powell advocates such a thing, he should perhaps check out his local, neighborhood VA hospital to see how government healthcare works for the typical wounded soldier. My understanding, it is not too well.

kurtzz3 on December 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Who?

Murphy9 on December 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Either this guy is weapons grade st00pid or he’s disingenuous to the point where he should have rotten vegetables thrown at him and shunned until he dies.

The reason he benefited from “universal health care” is because he’s an elite. Of course, like all elites, politicians, celebs, etc, he will get top of the line care and access. THIS WILL NOT CHANGE IN UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE.

Let me repeat that: THE “ELITE” WILL STILL HAVE TOP OF THE LINE ACCESS/CARE IN “UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE”. It’s called queue jumping.

Moron.

kim roy on December 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

So, in other words, you’re ignorant about the subject. Perhaps someone should remind Powell of a saying that a person his age would definitely be familiar with:

“If you don’t know what you’re talking about, you should keep your mouth shut.”

rvastar on December 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

And to think that so many Republicans wanted Powell for President…..

Stoic Patriot on December 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Shudder.

This guy(Powell) is a joke and a racist to boot.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Colin Powell: Second look at single-payer health care?

Shock.
Surprise.
Awestruck.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM

And to think at one time I would have voted for him. Yeesh.

rbj on December 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM

He and his family benefitted from govt. healthcare during his career. Great. But let’s not kid ourselves; he and his family received much better care than the average private as he was an officer. And the higher up he moved, the better the care he received. Meanwhile the lower enlisted in combat arms have to navigate through a system in which primary care is delivered by a medic with 16 weeks training. If you can prove that you are really in bad shape, you might get to go see the PA. And if you have a broken bone, you might be able to go to the clinic and see a doctor. Let’s sign up for that!

The Opinionator on December 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM

The reason you have benefited from this type of healthcare is because the government was your employer. Which maybe was fine for you.
I also have benefited from my employer’s insurance and would like to keep it that way but ya’ll are taking away my choice.

Idiot.

Barred on December 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM

And what Colin Powell has to say matters why?

coldwarrior on December 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM

The Opinionator on December 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM

His view is warped like most elites.

CWchangedhisNicagain on December 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM

And to think at one time I would have voted for him. Yeesh.

rbj on December 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Ditto.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Hi Axe.

Colin Powell is a freaking coward. Afraid to vote against a black person because of the back lash.

SparkPlug on December 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Never liked Colon Bowel. He showed up at my place of work back in the late 90s to give a pre-campaign campaign speech. What a pompous ass.

ElectricPhase on December 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Maybe we could have universal health care facilities disguised as semi-trailers hidden around the cities.

Flange on December 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM

This is nearly word for word what Obama says. We, a wealthy country? $17 trillion in debt and counting? No jobs? Shrinking middle class? Give me a break.

So Colin Powell, Republican, is for single payer, universal health care? What % of Repubs are for that? Maybe 1%? How can he possibly call himself a Republican?

Paul-Cincy on December 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM

My question: how many others like him are hiding in the Pentagon.

CPT. Charles on December 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM

General … with all due respect, that is faithless.

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

If there is a better argument for time limits in “public service”, in toto and including that of the military, I can’t think of one. How about adding that proviso, say 36 years max (covering 20 military, 12 Congress, one term as president) to the term limits amendment. IOW, they can manage their public service however they like but the max the taxpayer will allow you to be on the public service dole would be 36 years.

Dusty on December 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Gah! Another aparatchik that wants the Government to take the place of God and the Individual.

Ace ODale on December 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

My opinion is more important than Colin Powells.

I’m sure if I was on Twitter I would get more followers and more Twitchy mentions than Colin Powell. Plus he goofs up way more than I do.

SparkPlug on December 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

For some folks…

Race. Trumps. All.

Rational Thought on December 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

BTW … is he still officially a Republican?

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Hi Spark. :)

His book was three inches thick and filled with remembrances.

I can’t even paperback-swap it.

Axe on December 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

More verbal diarrhea from Colin Bowel………….

dmann on December 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Powell is a moron. Does he really think the government can deliver the quality care that he has received to all Americans?

TarheelBen on December 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

STHU and STFD , Colon!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

There is no possible way a rational being would trust this government with administrating a single-payer scheme. Put it another way:

Obamacare is like a troop of monkeys (bureaucrats, but I repeat myself), each given a bottle of Bud Light for one hand and an M-80 for the other.

Single-payer upgrades those monkeys to rabid apes, and replaces their toys with the keys to a distillery and a nuke.

Blacksmith on December 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Thank you for not writing about the Huckster.

HiJack on December 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

A brain tumor? Aneurysm? They’d both be dead in Canada.

monalisa on December 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. – James Madison

Colin Powell needs to acquaint himself with our Constitution. There is nothing in our founding document that would allow the federal government to implement a single payer system.

Charlemagne on December 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM

They are starting the single payer meme right on cue. The incremental acceptance of the Master Plan has begun. SOSDD.

Mimzey on December 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Axe on December 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

To think that Flippin McCain was too conservative for Powell. He had to go full Donk and endorse Barry Heussain the crypto Marxist and even after to terms of unmitigated disaster Powell is still beating the slim Jim bongo drums.

SparkPlug on December 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM

To think this man was promoted over other legitimate deserving candidates.

trs on December 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Racist. :)

Axe on December 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM

A U.S. general continues a bald racial agenda. Colin, this guy will be gone. Your ass-kissery has a limited shelf life.

Mason on December 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I’ll write the same thing I wrote over at RS

can’t stand this guy. everyone who wasn’t his chief of staff (I cannot remember the word army used for the top aide) in germany knew he was a racist pile of crap. I got there into the frankfurt/hanau area few months before he left and even in that short time it became apparent.
when a guy is considered for a 5th star ONLY because of his color and he doesn’t vehemently disagree with that hes a racist.

dmacleo on December 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

If the U.S. tried to provide Bethesda type care to everyone ol’ Colon would be laying on a dirty gurney, ignored and dying of a curable malady.

Bishop on December 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Allah I wish you would compile a list of developments that have come from our inferior system alongside those that came from the superior socialized system. I think the obvious answer would break thru even the most closed mind.

Grunt on December 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Hi Twerp. I like Huckabee more than Powell and I hate Huckabee.

SparkPlug on December 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

General Colin Powell

Not without capitalism, you won’t.

Take that away, and you’ll lose ALL of the quality and technological advancements in medical services we have enjoyed for years, as well as all of the “wealth” you want seize and ‘redistribute’.

All of it will go [poof !], with your “government mandated, managed, and controlled medical services.”

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM

How does that keep him from being in the tank for Obama, lol?

xblade on December 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Just more proof that the GOP is truly dead and gone.

KMC1 on December 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Hi Spark. :)

His book was three inches thick and filled with remembrances.

I can’t even paperback-swap it.

Axe on December 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

A birdcage somewhere is needing some liner.

kim roy on December 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM

STHU and STFD , Colon!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

There goes the neighborhood.

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Yeah … my mailman’s got an opinion too.

M240H on December 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM

“I am not an expert in health care

Then STFU!

In the mean time the exit question is: HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR IT?

GarandFan on December 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM

SparkPlug on December 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I agree.
Powell puts his color before his country.
*I was a fan of his…but that was a long time ago.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM

*glares*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Socialized (fill in the blank) is no way to solve a problem.

Parking meters are smarter than Gubmint workers.

SparkPlug on December 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Until Obama became President, Colin Powell was the most overrated POS affirmative actions general/politician in the history of the country… Then Obama took his place as the # 1 most overrated ignorant utterly incompetent POS affirmative action President…

mnjg on December 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Don’t you just love when people start out by saying “I’m not an expert, but…” and then go on to speak about it anyway?

Um, because those places suck?

WhatSlushfund on December 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM

[Dusty on December 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM]

Okay veterans, clear something up for me. Do you get lifetime healthcare for your service of some minimum period of service? I ask because Powell has not been in public life for 55 years, but only 39, according to his Wiki bio:

1958 to 1993 — Military (Graduation from ROTC program in 1958)
2001 to 2005 — Secretary of State.

55 years would take him from graduation in 1958 to this year.

Dusty on December 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM

“Tu et La Tete’ du Pow-well COLON!!!!”

williamg on December 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Colin Powell has always been an opportunist. His entire life has been about being a courtier with his wet finger in the air.

Punchenko on December 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM

*glares*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Ouch !

Allah’‘twerp “glared” me. It hurt, and everything.

listens2glenn on December 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM

rbj on December 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I never liked him. And anybody who knows the true story about General Schwarzkopf’s ‘retirement’ after Desert Storm, liked him, or trusted him.

Bush 41 should have sacked him.

CPT. Charles on December 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

This is a really hard confession to make, but… in 2000 I was hoping Powell would throw his hat into the ring for the Republican nomination.

malclave on December 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I used to joke with Mrs. Strozek about learning some rudimentary Spanish and moving to an ex-pat community in Mexico.

Used to.

Bruno Strozek on December 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM

ObamaCare is such a great idea, let’s do it some more.

Because we’re not Canada, we’re not Korea, we’re not Europe, and this country was founded and populated by people who didn’t like how those countries did things and moved here specifically to get away from them. If you like their health care systems so much, please go move there and put your convictions to the test where nobody but yourself will suffer the consequences if you’re wrong. Me, I’d rather stick with the system that produced most of the medical breakthroughs and the best healthcare system the world has ever seen.

Socratease on December 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Colin Powell: Second look at single-payer health care?
=======================================================

CONGRESS:

Who is getting, might get,or has already gotten HealthCare:

What every member of Congress is doing about his/her healthcare, in 1 chart
*****
*****

By Ed O’Keefe and Sean Sullivan
December 9 at 9:00 am
*************************

With the start of the Affordable Care Act just weeks away, lawmakers and their staffs have until the end of Monday to enroll in new health-care exchanges established by the law, or decide to pay out of pocket for a different public or private insurance plan.
===========================================

canopfor on December 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Thank you for your service, General Powell, but you can’t expect the Government to take care of the health problems of everyone who didn’t serve their country in the military.

Maybe Anne might still have health insurance if the Unaffordable Care Act hadn’t passed Congress in 2010…

Steve Z on December 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Dusty on December 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I think retirees (20+ years) are eligible for Tricare.

malclave on December 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Powell, who benefited from affirmative action, was/is a celebrity because of his skin color.

As far as I’m concerned, the man is a traitor who supported Barack Obama for racial reasons.

bluegill on December 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Isn’t Huckabee a Pedophilic Rapist? I thought I heard that – but I can’t remember whether it was little boys or little girls that he was “caught” with………wasn’t Jon Huntmsan WITH him at the time?

williamg on December 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM

[malclave on December 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM]

So Colin is basically getting what Ace describes here, ie, lifers get paid partly in healthcare in lieu of wages.

Dusty on December 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM

If we had socialized medicine a la Canada or Europe, Powell’s wife and firewood supplier would both be dead by now. They would be forced to wait for care until their choices were none.

Socialism is a dangerous thing. Powell must have fallen and bumped his head some time ago.

Philly on December 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

As a U.S. Army Major, Powell tried to cover up the My Lai Massacre. Now he is trying to cover up the ObamaCare Massacre. He doesn’t seem to have changed.

VorDaj on December 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

R r r r r r
I i i i i i
N n n n n n
O o o o o o

jaydee_007 on December 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM

And btw, I seriously doubt “Anne’s” insurance company didn’t cover MRIs. Even if that part was accurate, an MRI costs between $1,000-$2,000. And many MRI providers offer a payment plan. If it were a car or something she wanted, “Anne” would have had no problem coming up with the money.

Does anyone else suspect that “Anne” was really an illegal alien named Anna?

Meanwhile, in Canada, she may not have even had the option to get an MRI because there is a major shortage of them.

xblade on December 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM

* Jon Huntsman WITH him at the time?

williamg on December 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM

[williamg on December 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM]

Stop that.

Dusty on December 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Dusty on December 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I think retirees (20+ years) are eligible for Tricare.

malclave on December 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

disabled vets get lifetime care for their injuries of course, for service/duty connected.
at certain levels of disability (I am 40% but next exam will put me around 85% and get vision/er care/basic healthcare) other lifetime medical benefits are added.
my 2 knee injuries and back injury were directly service related from training accident (a really dumb one too, don’t ask) involving 15 people or so while on active duty in germany.
IIRC retirees actually use tricare and not VA directly but may be wrong.

dmacleo on December 9, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Normally is start comment with….”with all due respect” but not tonight.
Colin, just go away

jaywemm on December 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM

God save us from stupid Republicans. Of late, that seems to be all there is.

Midas on December 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I’ve run into this same point-of-view from some former military guys who thought that the military health care system proves that single-payer wouldn’t be that bad. Powell’s wrong, of course, but perhaps not unique among vets (at least of his generation).

Robert_Paulson on December 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Colin’s net worth $45 million plus sits on several corporate boards. Bet he doesn’t go into his pockets to help the little people.

RdLake on December 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM

RINO asshat.

Colony14 on December 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Couldn’t resist, could you?

Valiant on December 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM

The FBI file Reno got on Colin and the NSA wiretaps must be truly spectacular.

Through the hoops, Colin!!! Through the hoops!!!

viking01 on December 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM

The evidence is complete. And it shows beyond reasonable doubt that the only reason Powell ever called himself a Republican and made a few mildly conservative sounding noises was to advance his military career.

farsighted on December 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM

[dmacleo on December 9, 2013 at 9:37 PM]

Thanks for the additional info, dmacleo. I’m sorry to hear about your disability and I’m all for the country taking care of those injured while performing it, dumb or not, hostilities related or not. And thanks for your service.

Dusty on December 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM

..c o l o n !

KOOLAID2 on December 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Choose to describe what, exactly? This idiot is conflating a law dealing with mandatory health insurance guidelines and _health care_.

lymond on December 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Hi Spark. :)

His book was three inches thick and filled with remembrances.

I can’t even paperback-swap it.

Axe on December 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

A birdcage somewhere is needing some liner.

kim roy on December 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Venezuela is in dire need of toilet paper.

onlineanalyst on December 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Powell needs to switch parties ….

and needs to take this to heart
“better to keep silent and thought a fool
then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

conservative tarheel on December 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM

His book was three inches thick and filled with remembrances.

I can’t even paperback-swap it.

Axe on December 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

My copy hit the dumpster from three point range a few years ago.

viking01 on December 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM

And this arrogant asshole Powell purports to be a Republican? God save us!

foxymike on December 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Classic mockery from our resident deity. I judged it differently, using the hate scale. We can’t possibly despise Schmuckabee any more, so it’s pointless to flog him. Whereas Colon Powell has retained a scant bit of residual good will by virtue of a career sucking off the affirmative action military teat shining brass buttons at media cocktail parties in Georgetown serving himself in the armed forces.

On that scale it’s easy. You hang drippy Colon from the beam and we flog his worthless, unprincipled, socialist nitwit hide for a little while. That he refers to himself as a Republican is odd; that he even knows how to pronounce the word conservative is bizarre.

He’s a garden-variety liberal Democrat. Always was.

Jaibones on December 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Mike Huckabee for President? Who only now has abandoned the Education Dept’s Common Core academic standards. No Thanks, we need someone smart enough to see that the “leaning forward” progressives’ Common Core is horrible at first glance.

RJL on December 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM

“Little” because once you have the printing presses, producing 100 dollar bills at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is pretty inexpensive.

Shy Guy on December 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM

So what qualifies you to opine on health care? Oh yeah, you used Affirmative Action to get promoted to General. And the *Surgeon* General is usually a physician, so there ya go.

KS Rex on December 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Bush 41 should have sacked him.

CPT. Charles on December 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Do tell, a story we’d love to hear.

RJL on December 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM