Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on December 7, 2013 by Allahpundit

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) announced Thursday that he will propose legislation that would cut taxes for Detroit and other areas of the country that are in dire financial straits, pitching the idea as an alternative to bureaucratic government stimulus programs…

“What we hope to do is create taxes so low that you essentially are able to bail yourselves out, by having more money accumulate in the area over time,” Paul said.

The taxes that would be reduced include the income tax, the corporate tax, payroll taxes and the capital gains tax. The bill would also lower the economic threshold for immigrants who want to start businesses in these areas to $50,000.

The legislation would apply to all areas of the country with an unemployment rate that is at least 50 percent greater than the national average.

***

“[Jack] Kemp loved figuring out ways to empower people — real people, regardless of race or family background,” Paul will say in his speech on Friday, according to excerpts. “He called his plan a ‘Conservative war on poverty.’ It’s time we revisit Jack Kemp’s plan and expand on it.”

While Kemp’s ideas were celebrated on the right, they faced deep skepticism elsewhere, as will Paul’s proposal.

Critics of proposals like Paul’s argue they are nothing more than a dramatic tax cut for big businesses that will do little to help lower-income Americans.

“Enterprise zones are not especially effective at increasing overall economic activity or raising incomes for the poor,” said Len Burman, director of the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center and a former Clinton administration official. “They just seem to move the locus of activity across the zone’s boundary — reducing activity outside the zone and increasing it inside.”

***

His speech, which came after a visit to a new African-American voter outreach center office opened by the Michigan Republican Party in Detroit, also touched on a variety of issues ranging from taxes to education to criminal justice to the 2016 presidential race…

“We need to be a more diverse party if we’re ever going to win again. We need people with tattoos, ponytails and earrings,” he said. “The Democratic Party is more diverse than we are. We lose all the big cities. We have to change or we won’t win nationally again.”…

Paul, a libertarian-leaning Republican from Kentucky, said Republicans have to do more than just show up.

“It’s about economic empowerment, education and school choice … and criminal justice,” he said. “It’s important that we talk about this, because I don’t think we’ve treated people fairly.”

***

“How are you supposed to make child support payments if you’ve been in prison, and the best job you can get is $9 an hour?” Sen. Rand Paul asked, wearing a suit and tie at the opening of a new GOP office on Livernois Avenue in Detroit.

Child support, prison and the war on drugs are not usual topics for the GOP senator, who had previously gained media attention for launching a filibuster against President Obama’a nominee to head the CIA because Paul questioned the administration’s use of drones…

“Today’s opening of this office is the beginning of a new Republican Party,” Paul said. “This is going to be a Republican Party that is in big cities and small cities, in the countryside, in the city. It’s going to be about bringing a message that is popular no matter where you’re from, whether you’re rich or poor, whether you’re black, white or brown.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I have to learn to turn off the cellphone. *sigh*

Good evening, Paladin. :) Sorry I’ve missed you this evening. I hope all is well.

It’s back to work for me.

Tenderly – Chet Baker

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on December 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Good night Jackie.

KCB on December 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

So glad Meyer’s winning streak has been broken! Maybe the Wolverines can get a little credit for wearing the Buckeye’s down, in last weeks game, for you :)

wolverinefan on December 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM

…U of M is my second team…I was proud of them…and wished the ending had been different!
…What I like about MSU…is they get these 2 and 3 star recruits…that are rejected by Oiho State (U of M gets a lot of 5 Star kids too!)…A lot of those kids that LIVE in OIHO… and were rejected by Oiho State…just handed them their lunch!

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Citizens only…not world chaff:

Only the president of the United States or the Governor of the state may order the flag to be at half-staff to honor the death of a national or state figure. In addition to the traditional half-staff salutes, the Flag Code mentions the use of our Flag for honoring leading citizens such as Martin Luther King, Jr.

Private citizens and non government buildings may choose to fly their flags at half staff to honor more local leaders. The Flag Code does not exclude any citizen, whether they belong to an organization or not, whether they are recognized very locally or regionally.

Examples of deceased citizens that might be honored with by lowering the Flag to half-staff include local religious leaders, youth leaders, honored teachers or sports coaches, local politicians, or a local hero. There need be no authorization from the government for the private sector (non-government) to use the Flag to honor any citizen.

Schadenfreude on December 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Nite J. – work/be well.

Fight the half flags for Mandela.

Schadenfreude on December 8, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Watch “Stossel” and you’ll know it’s over, no matter who we elect to Washington.

We’re F’d at the state and local level already…try to start a business or build a facility, on property you “own”.

F’d.

Who is John Galt on December 8, 2013 at 12:43 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Oh Yeah! Geiger the field goal kicker is from Toledo. (Family friend) It’s awesome watching him! I harassed him for picking MSU. I think he originally was thinking Notre Dame and then switched to MSU. Oh well—our loss

wolverinefan on December 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Citizens only…not world chaff:

(…)

Schadenfreude on December 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Has anyone heard any fact-based reason that Obama says US flags (in US, elsewhere) are to be flown at half-mast for Mandela, who was NOT a US citizen, obviously, if not also a man engaged in (proven) terrorism against the US?

It’s nonsense, what Obama has “ordered.” He has no basis in fact AT ALL to “order” such a thing as to Mandela. Might as well exclaim flags at half-mast to honor the dead Lenin or Stalin or Ho Chi Min or Mao, same difference.

Lourdes on December 8, 2013 at 12:52 AM

bazil9 on December 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I like calamari. Breaded .

SparkPlug on December 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM

fried calamari.

SparkPlug on December 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM

wolverinefan on December 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM

KOOLAID2 on December 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Ahem . . . . . . (clears throat) …..

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUGGGHH ! ! !
(this is the sound Charlie Brown makes, when Lucy yanks the football away from his kicking foot)
(whew) ….. glad I let that out. Can you imagine someone trying to sleep, with that weighing on their heart?
I really wanted a BIG 10 team in the Championship game. . . : (

( sniffle )

Anyway, Michigan State earned it, big time. Can’t hold it against ‘em.

listens2glenn on December 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I like calamari. Breaded .

SparkPlug on December 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM

That would be squid..not octopus.
You had me excited for a sec.

bazil9 on December 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Gay America, from the preezie on down.

Schadenfreude on December 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM

You had me excited for a sec.

bazil9 on December 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Well. I love octopus even more than calamari.

*watches to see if B9 gets all nipply?*

SparkPlug on December 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM

SparkPlug on December 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM

lol

I love octopus..
a tradition in my family that is originally
from the Greek Islands.
Char Grilled-with olive oil and lemon. The best.

On that note..I will go have good sparky dreams. :]
Night.

bazil9 on December 8, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Good night B9.

KCB on December 8, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Nite B9.

Nite America.

Schadenfreude on December 8, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Good night Schad. I’m out too.

KCB on December 8, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM

i was naturally interested in the order to fly the flag and at staff.

By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a state, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

Read more: http://www.gettysburgflag.com/Flag-Code.php#ixzz2mrZdELr4

i believe that wikipedia said that the flag was at half staff for Pope JPII.

r keller on December 8, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Pandering is how you get votes to win elections. Democrats are very good at it which is why they win elections.

The people vote and do not care for politicians that show up on their doorstep blaming them for all their problems. That’s how you lose elections.

Punchenko on December 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Not all pandering is bad – GOPers are not very good missionaries.

Anti-Control on December 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Dire Straits on December 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Hi (:

SparkPlug on December 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM

SparkPlug on December 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 8, 2013 at 2:00 AM

For Dire and SP:

Axe – “Rock ‘N’ Roll Party in the Streets”

Anti-Control on December 8, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Rebecca Black’s long-awaited follow-up to “Friday” (it portends a great future for American pop music!)

“Saturday”

Anti-Control on December 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Reading these posts I can tell you with 100% certainty that Republicans will NOT reclaim the white house in 2016. I made the same prediction last year based on the posts I see here. Everyone is seeking the absolute perfect candidate and if no one lives up to their expectations they are cast aside. For this reason, Republicans will never win another presidency. Book it. And there is no one to blame but yourselves.

The Notorious G.O.P on December 8, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Enterprise zones are a good idea, one which has been proven in practice. They are not a panacea by any stretch of imagination, and extending Kemp’s original idea to include the entire area, not just new start-up businesses, in the tax holiday changes the entire concept.

It’s not that it might not work. It’s that it is asking for a huge subsidy from the rest of the taxpaying country to give to people who don’t have to do anything to get it. The Kemp plan rewarded those who took the risk of investing in blighted areas, not the whole area.

But Paul is wise to talk about such impossible schemes – or anything else – to avoid discussing his policies towards the likes of Iran.

Adjoran on December 8, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Better Recording?….

williamg on December 8, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Reading these posts I can tell you with 100% certainty {snip}

The Notorious G.O.P on December 8, 2013 at 2:57 AM

……so – you either never really studied advanced mathematics or physics, or you didn’t pay attention when you did….

williamg on December 8, 2013 at 3:13 AM

The Notorious G.O.P on December 8, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Your motivation is transparent.

Do come back to make your pronouncement again… when we’re all here to enjoy it.

thatsafactjack on December 8, 2013 at 3:15 AM

The Notorious G.O.P on December 8, 2013 at 2:57 AM

We nominated Mc Cain and Romney in the last two cycles. Who should we get behind in 2016 ,Jon Huntsman?

celtic warrior on December 8, 2013 at 3:15 AM

For bluegill (awesome video):

“Landslide of Love”

Who believes it would fall on them
‘Til it cuts you to the very bone
Tragedy ain’t for me
I was born to be free
But there’s no escaping these chains
These chains of love
That will defy me
Like a power from above
These chains of love

Landslide of love you thrill me
Landslide of love you could kill me
Landslide you hit me from above
Landslide of love you keep calling
Landslide of love I keep falling
But I can never get enough
Landslide of love

Anti-Control on December 8, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Montrose – “I Got the Fire”

Anti-Control on December 8, 2013 at 3:53 AM

California Obamacare exchange giving out customer information:

Widespread fears that Affordable Care Act exchanges would fail to guard customer information are already coming true in California,where the state exchange is giving selected insurance agents customer contact information,

The Los Angeles Times’ Chad Terhune reports that Covered California, which Obamacare proponents have held up as a rare example of a functioning state health care exchange, provides names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of customers who did not ask to be contacted.

Covered California Executive Director Peter Lee told the paper that the unwanted contacts were necessary because the exchange, which claims to have signed up 80,000 people in insurance plans and qualified another 140,000 for Medicaid, is falling behind in its enrollment goals.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/07/california-obamacare-exchange-giving-out-customer-information/#ixzz2msefwWw6

kcewa on December 8, 2013 at 6:13 AM

kcewa on December 8, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Doesn’t surprise me…Once an account is setup to view the options the data is there forever.

“Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks, another Republican, said providing the federal government’s untested website with Social Security numbers, income levels, mortgage information, dates of birth and home addresses would create ‘a mother lode for identity theft.’

‘It’s not only Social Security numbers,’ Kennedy agreed.

‘It’s one of the largest collections of personal data, social security and everything else, that we’ve ever seen.’

Brooks asked the panel whether they think the public can use the Obamacare website safely.

‘Given healthcare.gov’s security issues, and assuming for the moment that you would be personally responsible for all damages incurred from your advice,’ he asked, ‘would any of you advise an American citizen to use this website as the security issues now exist?’

‘No,’ replied all four, including Kennedy and Wright.

Three of the witnesses agreed that the site should be shut down and rebuilt….”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2517772/Security-wasnt-built-Cybersecurity-experts-warn-using-Obamacares-website-exposes-Americans-hacking-privacy-breaches.html#ixzz2mt31ePnh

workingclass artist on December 8, 2013 at 7:47 AM

***

***

kcewa on December 8, 2013 at 6:13 AM

I don’t understand the logic of CC’s ED Lee. Why would falling short of enrollment goals necessitate the release of contact information for people who’ve already signed up for plans or qualified for Medicaid?

BuckeyeSam on December 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM

What has happened to Paul Ryan? He seems to be uninterested in thinking too deeply these days. If Patty Murray can clean your clock in negotiations on the budget you have to be a bit of a dolt.

Ms. Murray is generally regarded as the dumbest U.S. Senator.That’s a Senate that includes Barbara Boxer, Dick Durbin etc.

celtic warrior on December 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM

“WZ Exclusive: Healthcare.gov E-mails Me To Come Back, Try New Website

As anyone who reads this blog regularly knows, I attempted early on to sign up for Healthcare.gov and obtain insurance through the federal exchange to the tune of hilarious results.

Tonight, Healthcare.gov dispatched a form e-mail to me telling me the site has improved and I should come back to try finishing my application….”

workingclass artist on December 8, 2013 at 7:57 AM

BuckeyeSam on December 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM

He’s releasing the info of people who didn’t sign up. People who just filled out the application and then chose not to sign up.

kcewa on December 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Hot Air, QOTD — Sort of an open thread by community agreement and moderator sufferance.

I can dig it.

^ Heh. :) My new imaginary friend. He thinks he’s a white rapper. Calls himself “Finger Sandwich.”

Finger sandwich is here to please, free-styling rapper with (parentheses)!
Finger sandwich, just for fun, with my rap-cat, Parmesan!

Yeah. Anyone seen Sophie?

You need to forget that chick, go get a real woman.

Sophie is a real woman. Stop typing. I want to type.

Ever seen her?

I’ve seen her picture. Hey! You’re the one who isn’t real!

How come I can type?

You can’t type. I can type. OMG STOP BOTHERING ME!

There’s Sophie, right there.

That’s my Sarah Palin poseable action figure.

How come she called you Axie Baby?

I DON’T KNOW! Just — shut up! Everyone — just –

*wipes sweat from forehead*

I can’t take much more of this withdrawal.

Axe on December 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM

eading these posts I can tell you with 100% certainty {snip}

celtic warrior on December 8, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Again…….Math, physics, etcetera…….no one can predict any event that doesn’t follow a natural physical law (like. F=ma below the speed of light, or V=IR) with “100% certainty”…….so – the statement makes no sense…….

williamg on December 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

eading these posts I can tell you with 100% certainty {snip}

celtic warrior on December 8, 2013 at 3:15 AM

williamg on December 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Wasn’t celtic warrior; was The Notorious G.O.P.

Just clarification, in case anyone misunderstands your quote of a quote. :)

The Notorious G.O.P on December 8, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Axe on December 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

“Saturday”

Anti-Control on December 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Gotta say, I did not see that coming…

JohnGalt23 on December 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Blessed Sabbath, Patriots! And, Trolls.

My take: Obama, Mandela, and Thatcher: “When the Legend Becomes Fact, Report the Legend.”

kingsjester on December 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Gotta say, I did not see that coming…

JohnGalt23 on December 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I think we all were caught off-guard!

From Twitter:

“Rebecca Black’s next song will be “Sunday” and it will be about praying to Jesus for forgiveness for making “Friday” and “Saturday.”

Anti-Control on December 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Reading these posts I can tell you with 100% certainty….

The Notorious G.O.P on December 8, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Technically, if it’s ‘with 100% certainty’ then the correct term is ‘with certitude’.

PersonFromPorlock on December 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM