Turn your deceased loved ones into diamonds?

posted at 8:51 am on December 6, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

I get that some people look at non-traditional ways to inter their loved ones after death and how we remember the deceased is a very personal decision. There has long been a debate between those who choose cremation and families who choose a more traditional burial. Those with enough financial resources can even have their ashes shot into space. But the latest news just sounds a bit creepy to me. Would you like to turn your departed relative into a diamond ring?

It may sound a bit dark, but it’s now possible to transform the ashes of the cremated deceased into a diamond–a jewel truly to remember.

Using “Russian technology,” Algordanza Memorial Diamonds are created in a similar fashion to the way natural diamonds are formed.

Here’s how it works: a diamond is composed of pressurized carbons. Conveniently enough, human bodies are about 18 percent carbon. Using about a pound of ashes, the firm is able to distill out the carbon and use it to form a man-made diamond in a mold under high pressure in about a week. The diamonds created this way are often blue because of certain chemicals in the human body.

Algordanza, headquartered in Switzerland, offers a variety of diamond sizes and cuts that can be placed on a ring or other jewelry pieces. Prices run higher than conventional diamonds, starting from about $3,000 depending on the size and cut.

Maybe I’m overreacting here and this could turn out to be popular? After all, some who have their loved ones cremated keep the ashes in their homes in decorative urns. It’s not as if everyone feels that they body absolutely has to be buried in the ground. But the idea of jamming the remains into a separator to filter out the carbon and then smash them under sufficient pressure to morph their molecular structure into a rock just sounds a little … creepy.

How about it? Would you want to take your spouse or parent or child and convert them to a ring or broach? Would people really wear this type of jewelry to a party and engage the attendees with tales of the dearly departed? Maybe it’s just me, but I’d be trying to wriggle out of that conversation pretty quickly.

Comments

Not TOO creepy, eh?

I’m waiting for Obama to tell me what to think.

forest on December 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

People should let go of the past.

thuja on December 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM

You’re just now discovering this? It’s been an option for years.

Ace ODale on December 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Jazz Shaw on December 6, 2013 by at 8:51 am

Creepy? … Naaahhhhhh.

listens2glenn on December 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Sounds to be far too expensive to make it worthwhile.

rbj on December 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM

So if the departed had gold teeth, that could be part of the ring?

apostic on December 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Soooo, what do they do with … the tailings?

Price seems pretty good – about the cost of a nice headstone. Reliable shipping would be pretty critical.

Cricket624 on December 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM

This has been around for years. It’s something that I would do. He would never buy diamonds for me while he was alive, he can do it after he’s gone.

megthered on December 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM

For some reason I can envision this becoming a somewhat popular trend amongst disgruntled wives…

CaptFlood on December 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM

megthered on December 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Beat me to it…

CaptFlood on December 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I don’t know. I think I would rather do this than cremation.

However, the conversations are a bit awkward.

“Hey, that’s a nice ring.”

“Thank you. It’s my wife.”

[silence]

Chris of Rights on December 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM

“Using “Russian technology,” Algordanza Memorial Diamonds are created in a similar fashion to the way natural diamonds are formed”

Thanks “Da Russian!”

Gatsu on December 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Are Ed’s family problems becoming more immediate since he isn’t posting this morning?

NotCoach on December 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Now we have at least one benefit of a morbidly obese spouse.

hillsoftx on December 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM

You’re just now discovering this? It’s been an option for years.

Ace ODale on December 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Beat me to it.

Alas I cannot have my desires carried out. At least legally anyway. I want to embrace my American Indian heritage and have by body placed on a platform for the critters to eat or put into a boat and burned. My wife says a couple of virgins burning with me is right out. Bummer. Anyway I told my wife and kids that they will have to cremate me, mold the ashes into a human like figure, get a couple of dollar store “Barbies”, some beef jerky, fruit, nuts, some nip bottles of booze, place it all in a small wooden boat and set it adrift burning. I told them if they wanted to use flaming arrows to set it aflame it was their choice. To be honest I doubt any of them could hit a toy boat with an arrow. If they feared the authorities would nail them for pollution of a pond or lake they had the option of using a pool, preferably of someone I don’t like or good sized puddle.

Dr. Frank Enstine on December 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM

What’s next…Turning Dear Old Dad into a Coatrack next to the door?

workingclass artist on December 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Now we have at least one benefit of a morbidly obese spouse.

hillsoftx on December 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM

They can be kind of dangerous to cremate.

HotAirian on December 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Well what about the day eminent domain is used to uproot cemeteries? Can you imagine how much it’ll save on gas as well to just open up a jewelery box and have generations at your fingertips?

Wait til you find out about the roach broach… now that’s creepy :P

Ukiah on December 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM

My parents informed my siblings and me that they want to do this… that we are to save the ashes of the first to die and combine with the other’s ashes to create a single diamond. Very romantic.

But not sure they thought out what to do with the resulting diamond. I mean, really, are we to put it in a piece of jewelry? And then wear mom and dad?

Beyond creepy.

We will, of course, create the diamond since that is their wish. Just not sure what to do with it after.

Chitownmom on December 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Would you like to turn your departed relative husband into a diamond ring?

Hell, yes. I’d finally know where he is at night.

TheClearRiver on December 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Knew about this some time ago.

In fact, my wife has considered having her two beloved Golden Retrievers turned into some yellow diamonds.

But I can see it now down the road, “Hey! We gotta pay for insurance or the Insurance Police will send us off to jail. What’s say we pawn Grandma and Grandpa? Will that raise enough?”

ProfShadow on December 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM

If you have good life insurance you might be able to get a March ng set of earnings.

jhffmn on December 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Memorial diamonds have been available in the US for over a decade. There’s a company in Illinois that first introduced it and apparently does a pretty good business converting people into gems.

They make diamonds out of departed pets too. I can see where having a memento like this could be comforting. Not sure I’d use it as a conversation starter though…

PetecminMd on December 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Algordanza Memorial Diamonds

Do these count as carbon credits?

Flange on December 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Oh I don’t know…….there are some people I’d like to do that to while they’re still alive. Like those child-killers on Death Row. Then the state could auction off the diamond as a means of reducing prison costs.

Just think what Charlie Manson could bring.

GarandFan on December 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I will just give my wife’s diamond ring to my daughter…..

Nothing more complicated then that..

Electrongod on December 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Lucky Pierre on December 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I’m not really creeped out by this, in fact I think it’s novel and has a certain appeal.

The shooting of ashes into outer space is awesome, though I’d like to be kept whole, glued to a Harley, and be launched into deep space just like that. Let an alien race discover a strange creature covered in some sort of body markings and attached to a mechanical conveyance.

Bishop on December 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Ditto what others before me said; this isn’t new.
A trip to one’s fav morturary reveals that you can have a necklace or bracelet with Dad’s cremains inside a little orb.
How creepy is that; carrying cremains around everywhere.

srdem65 on December 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Dr. Frank Enstine on December 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM

So you’ve been considering this for some time?

Mind if I borrow a few ideas?

:P

VibrioCocci on December 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Others say this has been around a while but this is the first time I have heard about it. I find it to be an absolutely intriguing and appealing idea. If my loved ones agree to this, it would be a serious option.

Personally, I would prefer to return to nature the really old fashioned way (buzzards, ants, etc) but I have cremation specified because I am appalled at the idea of bod in coffin taking up room in the ground.

RushBaby on December 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I’m sure it isn’t for everyone, but why not turn the remians of your love one into something beautiful? Honestly, what better way to immortalize your love one than as a diamond that lasts forever?

Now it’s not for everyone, but to say it is creepy is a stretch.

Dr. Frank Enstine on December 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM

If your wife doesn’t want to burn a couple of virgins for you in a viking-like funeral, then you might want to find a new wife. (j/k)

BigGator5 on December 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Old news, but I have considered it. A nice Asscher cut, perhaps?

Is it creepier than an urn of ashes in the house?

talkingpoints on December 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Too bad it is distilled. I was thinking each diamond would be unique due to impurities based on the person.
The distilling pretty much removes any sentimental value it otherwise would have possessed.

astonerii on December 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Sounds like one of those old Star Trek episodes.

Sherman1864 on December 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Chitownmom on December 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Have it set in a clock or plaque with their picture and keep it on the mantle.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on December 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Post + comments making anyone else hungry?

Axe on December 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Can you sell it?

Fallon on December 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

So, I’ve had my hubby wrapped around my little finger in life, and now I can have him LITERALLY wrapped around my finger in death???

The irony! It burns!!

Maddie on December 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM

So how would I know that the diamond I got back was the person I sent? It could just be some industrial processing reject that they had on the back shelf somewhere.

(….sound of toilet flushing)

ps….never trust any sales pitch which uses the phrase ‘Russian Technology’.

percysunshine on December 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM

If I made one out of my ex-wife, it would definitely have to be a princess cut.

Wino on December 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Jane notices Pattie’s new diamond ring.
Jane: That’s a beautiful stone.
Pattie: Thanks. *sticking out her hand so it can be admired* It was mom.
Jane: Oh, heirlooms are so nice.
Pattie: No, not “mom’s”. It was mom.
Jane: oh

Dr. Frank Enstine on December 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Oh yeah, Viking cremation is always a great way to go. Done right, you can turn it into a neighborhood combination wake/funeral/bbq. Make sure you invite the fire department – it will make permitting easier and ensure nothing goes too horribly wrong.

Actually, this could be interesting, as you could put mom and dad together “eternally” on a ring. You could do up your whole family tree over time on a nice brooch………

GWB on December 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Maddie on December 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Unless, of course, you go first! ;)

GWB on December 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Oh yeah, Viking cremation is always a great way to go.
GWB on December 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Let’s give them one more season to work on the offense before burning them at the stake.

whatcat on December 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Diamonds are ummm people!!!!

Imrahil on December 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Or you could quit being selfish, grow up, and realize that regardless of what you believe about afterlife when you are dead you are done with the ol’ meat sack and donate your body/organs to science, medical training or something else useful.

And a secondary upside to that is telling the thieving mortician to ‘GFY’.

M240H on December 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM

GWB on December 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I was just thinking about that. It would be cool.

BigGator5 on December 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Why didn’t that work right? I’m guessing that I didn’t close the tag properly.

Oh, well. When will HA get an edit function? My guess, when Obama stops lying.

Wino on December 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Best Friends… FOOORRREEEEEVVVEEERRRRRR!!

Mazz on December 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Wait a minute! He said, “Till death do us part,” and I’m holding him to it.

Wino on December 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

What’s next…Turning Dear Old Dad into a Coatrack next to the door?

workingclass artist on December 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Floor mat….

Renee on December 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I dunno… It’d be the perfect revenge if you learned to hate your SO.

“What’s that ring?”
“My ex-wife.” Tap-tap

Skywise on December 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM

This hearkens back to the Victorian-era practice of creating a memento mori to remember loved ones. They would take photographs of themselves with the newly dead, make elaborate jewelry and woven images out of hair, and that kind of thing. Not quite Egyptian in creepy cultural obsession with death, but coming close.

Here’s an example: A woman’s husband died, so she had one of his molars made into a ring.

Have a look at the other ways the Victorians got weird with death, and maybe it’ll give one of you a marketing idea that will make you a million bucks.

SmallishBees on December 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I dunno…Creating a vanity object from the remains of loved ones…Just isn’t dignified imho.

What has happened to us as a culture?

workingclass artist on December 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Can we just encase them in carbonite and hang them on the wall?

Flange on December 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM

How is this any more creepy than pumping them full of embalming fluid, gluing their eyelids shut, stitching their mouth closed, and then putting them in the ground?

bitsy on December 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

When Mom died we had her cremated at a Catholic Funeral Parlor (as per her wishes after consulting her priest a few years before her death) and she’s interred in a Columbarium next to my grandparents in a Catholic Mausoleum. On All Souls Day my sister and I go to the Requiem Mass at my church…

“The first thing to remember about Catholic funerals is the Truth that the body of the dead one will be resurrected and reunited with the soul when Jesus comes again at the Last Judgment. In addition, if the deceased is saved, his body will be glorified. For this reason, the bodies of our loved ones are treated with the utmost respect and, so, it is against Catholic custom to cremate the body, having been allowable in the past only during times of pestilence, for ex., when cremation was done for the common good. Now, however, the 1983 Code of Canon Law (Can. 1176 §3) reads

The Church earnestly recommends that the pious custom of burial be retained; but it does not forbid cremation, unless this is chosen for reasons which are contrary to Christian teaching….

“For Christians, burial is not the disposal of a thing. It is caring for a person. In burial, we’re reminded that the body is not a shell, a husk tossed aside by the “real” person, the soul within. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Cor. 5:6–8; Phil. 1:23), but the body that remains still belongs to someone, someone we love, someone who will reclaim it one day.

Our father Abraham did not “dispose” of the “container” previously occupied by his loved one. Moses tells us that “Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the cave of the field of Machpelah east of Mamre (that is, Hebron) in the land of Canaan” (Gen. 23:19, emphasis mine). His burial of his wife, returning her to the dust from which she came, honored our foremother, in precise distinction from the shamefulness with which our God views the leaving of bodies to decompose publicly (Is. 5:25).

The Gospel of John tells us that “Lazarus had already been in the tomb four days” (John 11:17). The Holy Spirit chose to identify this body as Lazarus, communicating continuity with the very same person Jesus had loved before and would love again.

After the crucifixion of Jesus, the Gospels present us with an example of devotion to Jesus in the way the women—and Joseph of Arimathea—minister to him, anointing him with spices, specifically anointing, Mark tells us, him and not just “his remains” (Mark 16:1), and wrapping him in a shroud. Why is Mary Magdalene so grieved when she finds the tomb to be empty? It is not that she doubts that a stolen body can be resurrected by God on the last day. It is instead that she sees violence done to the body of Jesus as violence done to him, dishonor done to his body as dishonor to him. When Mary mistakes Jesus for the gardener, she tells him she is despondent because they “have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him” (John 20:13). This body was, at least in some sense, still her Lord, and it mattered what someone had done to it. Jesus and the angelic beings never correct the devoted women. They simply ponder why they seek the living among the dead.

If one defies tradition and the Church’s earnest recommendation and does opt for cremation, or if one reasonably cremates because of the threat of disease, the remains must still be interred at a cemetery; they can’t be kept at one’s home or be scattered….”

Moore, Russell D., “Grave Signs,” Touchstone Magazine, January/February, 2007

workingclass artist on December 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Unless, of course, you go first! ;)
GWB on December 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Wait….you mean Bill has ALSO been poisoning my Corn Flakes with rat….aaackkk! Cough!

Maddie on December 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

astonerii on December 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Very many impurities at all and you won’t get a gem-quality diamond.

trigon on December 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Personally, I kind of think it’s a bit creepy, too. Not something I’d have done for myself or anybody I cared about.

As a former Jeweler, this was on the horizon around the time I was getting out. It’s more the kind of thing a funeral home would handle than a service a jeweler would offer. Jewelers aren’t equipped to handle bodies or ship them.

If somebody came in with a stone and wanted to have it set, I guess we’d do it for them. Assuming my bench guys didn’t have an objection about it. They’d have probably made a show of holding me up for a six-pack over it.

trigon on December 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

It’s creepy. It’s disrespectful. It’s emotionally damaging. It’s morally wrong.

Not to mention…. Ick!

ElectricPhase on December 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Just isn’t dignified imho.

What has happened to us as a culture?

workingclass artist on December 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Well, at least it doesn’t involve knitting and a woman’s nether parts.

GWB on December 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I think its beautiful.

paulsur on December 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM

As long as they put the diamond on a totally slick sword like a Claymore, then use the sword to defend the family’s honor I’m totally cool with that.

bigrichard.small on December 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Jazz, your a wuss. It’d be a Warrior’s last momento. I’d love to be diamond on my wife’s or daughter’s finger. Beats being dolled up and put on public display.

birdhurd on December 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Brilliant idea, instead of wasting money onm expensive treatment death panels will be able to prescribe a painkiller, and use the money wisely to turn people into diamonds.

anikol on December 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

birdhurd on December 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Until you get hocked at a pawn shop to pay for the next liberal great idea.

dominigan on December 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Hillary can now turn Bill’s man parts into a new pinky ring.

meci on December 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Let’s go get stoned Yeah….
Oh….Let’s go get stoned