Georgia Congressional candidate spoofs Van Damme to bash ObamaCare

posted at 9:21 pm on December 5, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

It was inevitable. And, I’m glad this is the guy who did it.

Mike Collins is one of several Republicans vying for Rep. Paul Broun’s seat in Georgia, and he owns a trucking company. Cue the Enya:

The voiceover refers to the pressures put on small business by ObamaCare:

“What you see is a small businessman, confronted with Obamacare, a disastrous government plan,” Collins, who owns a trucking business in the state, says in the video.

Emily Zanotti briefs us on Collins, who has some practice ahead of him to do the truly epic splits:

His campaign slogan is “Overhaul DC,” apparently in reference to his successful trucking business (over-hauling, har har), but Mike Collins has mostly been running on boyish good looks, his inexplicable hair, his affinity for high-waisted jeans, and his father’s legacy thus far (the Plan of Overhaul has yet to be unveiled, possibly, based on the following, because it’s so awesome, he can’t even tell you about it).

His father is former Rep. Mac Collins. I must say I would have appreciated a “this is a stretch for small business” pun, but overall I am pleased with this.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the aisle, candidates would prefer karoaokeing Enya if it meant they didn’t have to talk about Obamacare:

Earlier this week I noted that the words “Affordable Care Act” and/or “Obamacare” do not appear on the DCCC’s home page. Their spokesmen insisted that a section labeled “GOP Hypocrites” counts, although even on that link, there’s no mention of the president’s signature domestic legislation; it’s merely an attack that “Republicans are so intent upon taking away your health care that they shut down the government over it.” (Conflating Obamacare with “your health care” is the point, obviously.)

If you look at the individual campaign websites of the Jumpstart Candidates, you find that references to “Affordable Care Act” and/or “Obamacare” are few and far between. In fact, most of the campaign sites don’t even mention health care at all.

Comments

Solid.

Jaibones on December 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what is happening to Paul Broun? Is he running for Senate! Is he retiring?

esr1951 on December 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM

He used Enya though, should have used the theme from “Bloodsport” instead.

Bishop on December 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM

esr1951 on December 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM

senate

He should have stayed in the house.

dforston on December 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM

@ esr1951 — Dr. Broun is running for the US Senate. It appears as though some of my fellow Georgians in the Athens, Ga., area are going to have the opportunity to say yes, or no, to another offspring of a former politician running for political office. I am constantly amazed at these political families who believe that they are the chosen ones to lead the proletariat.

I don’t have any idea how successful this man’s trucking company is, but something tells me he will have an easier time earning the 160k plus in DC and enriching himself and his family via government largess than running a trucking company on extremely small margins.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on December 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

He should have stayed in the house.

dforston on December 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Why do you say that? Who is he running against in the Senate?

esr1951 on December 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

…I like it!
and he’s an R!

KOOLAID2 on December 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM

If you think of it, keep us in GA in your prayers. Jimmah Cahtahs’ son is strongly considering running for Governor.

psrch on December 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

…and his father’s legacy thus far (the Plan of Overhaul has yet to be unveiled, possibly, based on the following, because it’s so awesome, he can’t even tell you about it…

…there is no extra charge for awesome.

CPT. Charles on December 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Jimmah Cahtahs’ son is strongly considering running for Governor.

psrch on December 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Amy? Wow! I really need to read the news more often.

Christien on December 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Jimmah Cahtahs’ son is strongly considering running for Governor.

psrch on December 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

It’s his grandson, Jason Carter, and he IS running:

cep on December 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on December 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Oh please! You carp about this when it is hardly the worst offense. How many of the Kennedy clan got to DC because of what happened in 1963 in Dallas? John Dingell- the most senior member of the House replaced his dad!

Happy Nomad on December 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I like it.

This guy is showing toughness … Enya may not be the best background music to display his toughness, but it allowed him to speak his message.

I like it.

ORrighty on December 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM

@ Happy Nomad…..Thanks for helping to make my point even though you are totally clueless as to what my point is.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on December 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Metaphorically, that’s what a candidate does here when asked about the Georgia-Georgia Tech rivalry.

radjah shelduck on December 6, 2013 at 6:17 AM

I’d prefer to call him a dangerous “middle of the road” kind of guy….

Don L on December 6, 2013 at 6:30 AM

It’s his grandson, Jason Carter, and he IS running:

cep on December 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

How soon before we get taste “Jason Beer?”

Don L on December 6, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Stone Cold

BigSven on December 6, 2013 at 7:31 AM

It’s not a “watch me drink a cup of coffee barechested, then walk into a lake” campaign video, but it’s not bad.

NickelAndDime on December 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I’ve met Mike Collins and asked him question at the Georgia GOP Convention last May. He would not answer any questions with any form of commitment and his first vote would be to re-elct John Boehner as Speaker. He does NOT need to be the next Congressman from GA10. Jody Hice would be a much better Representative and has stated publicly he would not vote for Boehner.

jstjoan on December 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM