Cyber Monday shopping sets a new record

posted at 2:41 pm on December 5, 2013 by Steve Eggleston

Amid the disappointment that was the retail landscape on Thanksgiving weekend, there was a bit of hope that Cyber Monday would set a record for the amount of sales. The numbers are in, and there is a new one-day online sales record:

comScore (SCOR), a leader in measuring the digital world, today reported holiday season U.S. retail e-commerce spending from desktop computers for the first 32 days of the November-December 2013 holiday season. For the holiday season-to-date, $23.9 billion has been spent online, marking an 8-percent increase versus the corresponding days last year (and a 25-percent increase if using the alternate comparison of the 4-week period preceding Thanksgiving).

Cyber Monday reached $1.735 billion in desktop online spending, up 18 percent versus year ago, representing the heaviest online spending day in history and the second day this season (in addition to Black Friday’s $1.198 billion) to surpass $1 billion in sales. The weekend after Thanksgiving posted particularly strong growth online, raking in $1.594 billion in spending for an increase of 34 percent compared to the same weekend last year. For the five-day period from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday, online buying from desktop computers totaled $5.3 billion, up 22 percent versus last year.

While that is an impressive number, it does not make up for the 2.9% decline in total sales, both in brick-and-mortar stores and online, during the four-day Thanksgiving weekend. The 18% increase in Cyber Monday sales is only $0.26 billion, while the 2.9% decline in the Thanksgiving weekend sales was $1.7 billion. That leaves the early holiday sales for 2013 $1.4 billion behind 2012′s pace.

That leads me to the incredible increase in inventories that represents nearly half of the third-quarter GDP growth. An increase in inventories is only a net positive if it can be sold at a profit. Judging by the early holiday shopping results, it does not appear that is going to happen.

Comments

People need their little stash to pay for obama’care’ and to pay their doctors, if they’re not insured, given the million and one clusterfarks, and more to come.

Schadenfreude on December 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Expect liberal House caucus to begin campaigning for Obama to issue an Executive Order directing companies with “excess inventories” to distribute it for free.

If they are stupid enough to push for unilateral minimum wage by Executive Order, there are stupid enough to push for this as well.

PolAgnostic on December 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I wonder if the water filter I ordered for my Frigidaire icebox counted?

DanMan on December 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

This economy is in the tank and no amount of cheering my OBlahblah and his minions in the media is going to change that.

BeachBum on December 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

And for all the technology and systems that made that possible, HHS couldn’t build a stinking website in three years? I’d bet you anything they spent more meeting time on font colors and “theme” of the website than they did on the mechanics and security issues.

Happy Nomad on December 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I wonder if the water filter I ordered for my Frigidaire icebox counted?

DanMan on December 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

You have an icebox? What’s it need a water filter for?

Happy Nomad on December 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I sure hope so for the retailers’ sake, because I was out shopping in North Dallas Tuesday afternoon and Target only needed ONE checkout counter, and Fry’s Electronics was nearly empty, and that place is always busy. This in the one of the only growing parts of the country.

phreshone on December 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

PolAgnostic on December 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Well, why not? When you have the stupid people in Seattle electing a socialist that wants the Machinist’s Union to simply take over the Boeing plant. When you have government deciding if your neighborhood is too white for a federal loan program. When you have a rat-eared marxist acting as if he were king…….

Why not just steal stuff in the name of the downtrodden or something.

Happy Nomad on December 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Pbbt. Everyone knows that if Black Friday sales are good (and I mean, they ONLY fell by not even 5%) then the rest of the year will be super awesome.

Hail Obama.

Gatsu on December 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM

phreshone on December 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Maybe everybody was at a Wendy Davis rally.

Happy Nomad on December 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Is anyone at Hot Air paying attention to the NY gun confiscation moves? Townhall has a thread on it.

If you’re looking for 1000 post thread – there it is…..

dentarthurdent on December 5, 2013 at 2:57 PM

There were some good deals to be had on Cyber Monday this year, although more than a few of them were carried over from Black Friday. I still go back to what I said a few days ago though. At some point, people don’t need yet another 40″ flatscreen TV or mediocre laptop just because it’s 100 bucks cheaper than normal. Maybe we’re reaching the point of over-saturation.

Doughboy on December 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

hey Happy I’m old enough to remember pulling cokes from an actual icebox at the post office and I happen to like the term…plus it’s easier to spell than refrigerator

But I would like to know why I need it anyway. My water line has three cartridges and an RO membrane before it gets to the icebox, one would think it would never clog but after several months no matter what if I don’t replace that filter my ice cubes are tiny. I think they put a chip in those things or something.

DanMan on December 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

That leaves the early holiday sales for 2013 $1.4 billion behind 2012′s pace.

Hmmm. I wonder what has happened in 2013 to cause people to scale back their Christmas buying. I’m sure people have plenty of money for their daily needs, like health insurance. I wonder what could be causing this. Hmmm………

Bitter Clinger on December 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM

This doesn’t bode well for brick and morter retail establishments. I bet “Best Buy” is out of business in two years.

tommyboy on December 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM

So a bzillion dollars worth of commerce can be conducted in one day using web sites. Huh.

Does 0b00ba know about this?

Akzed on December 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Boy, did I really spell mortar as “morter”? I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue……

tommyboy on December 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Too bad there isn’t a way to track online “shopping” of used items between private citizens, a burgeoning phenomena in Bark’s America. My wife just got a very nice DSLR camera for my daughter through a Facebook garage sale group, and I’m looking to get a rifle for a son through Armslist.

No taxes, no newly-produced items, just private citizens completely skipping the shiite-ass economy that lefties think is doing awesome.

Bishop on December 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Bitter Clinger on December 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM

That’s a multiple-choice answer:

- Lost job because of PlaceboCare
- Hours cut at job because of PlaceboCare
- Need to save money to pay the additional costs of PlaceboCare

Steve Eggleston on December 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Bishop on December 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

If that poerson shipped via UPS or FedEx, there would be a tracking number.

Steve Eggleston on December 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM

“Person”, even. I’m getting as bad as Tommy.

Steve Eggleston on December 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM

If that poerson shipped via UPS or FedEx, there would be a tracking number.

Steve Eggleston on December 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I suppose, though the FB thing is local and I only buy guns in person. Of course then I immediately destroy the gun with a chop saw.

Bishop on December 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM

We went to Meijers Thanksgiving morning for their huge toy sale. The wife and I pretty much had the place to ourselves at 0900. They had a ton of check out lines open but no one was there.

Johnnyreb on December 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM

See the Latest National Retail Sales Estimate Report!
*****************************************************

Follow the overall industry or compare your store to the market! Click here to see ShopperTrak’s latest National Retail Sales Estimate report today!

canopfor on December 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

See the Latest National Retail Sales Estimate Report!
*****************************************************

canopfor on December 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Three straight weeks of year-over-year declines headed into Thanksgiving. Ouch.

Steve Eggleston on December 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Johnnyreb on December 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM

What time did they start the sale? I know K-Mart opened up at 6 am on Turkey Day.

Steve Eggleston on December 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Bishop on December 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Oh, that kind of tracking. I’m glad there isn’t a way to do that…yet.

Steve Eggleston on December 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

tommyboy on December 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM

tommyboy on December 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM

No worries,in two years with the public anger over the damage caused by democrats and obamacare “Bricks & Morter” stores will be on every corner.

HumpBot Salvation on December 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM

and the other good news is that what everyone bought, the exact second they bought, and how much they spent is on a government database somewhere…Al Qaeda’s out there you know.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM

canopfor on December 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Three straight weeks of year-over-year declines headed into Thanksgiving. Ouch.

Steve Eggleston on December 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Steve Eggleston:Sorry for the late response,getting lost in news twitters,
and, yes, it appears that under Hopey, the numbers aren’t
good, which is probably a testamount to his stellar econo
mic policies, er lack of!:)

canopfor on December 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Isn’t it funny that it took them only 3 days to calculate that, but it took 6 weeks to see how many people signed up for Obamacare?

RightWired on December 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM

There are going to be some great prices in after-Christmas White-Sales.
And the Durable Goods/Inventory numbers for Q1 will positively suck.

Another Drew on December 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

People are saving their money in order to pay for their increased health insurance costs.

Thank you Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid!

GarandFan on December 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Funny how a lot of those grey thursday sales then black friday sales bled into cyber monday and now its cyber week sales.

oryguncon on December 6, 2013 at 12:46 AM