Please, no: Obama to use presidency as stepping stone to SportsCenter gig

posted at 6:41 pm on December 4, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

So, the plan is finally revealed. He’s been building his resume by inserting himself into every March Madness, Super Bowl, and World Series for the last five years while casually mucking up giant parts of his day job. Now, we know why.

If you have any doubt as to how much of a sports junkie Barack Obama is, check in with the entertainment moguls who attended a private briefing with the president Nov. 26 before his speech at Jeffrey Katzenberg’s DreamWorks Animation campus in Glendale.

At the end of the conversation — which touched on a myriad of topics, from piracy to Iran — Obama revealed what’s at the top of his bucket list post-White House: “At least I know what I want to do when I retire … host ESPN SportsCenter’s Top 10 list,” Obama quipped as he turned to Disney’s Robert Iger, whose empire includes ESPN.

You know, when I read the headline “I want to host ESPN’s SportsCenter when I retire,” I thought to myself it sounded like a little much. I’m sure hosting SportsCenter is fun, but it’s also gotta be a daily grind— not something to be undertaken by President Obama, especially in retirement, without ample golf breaks. When I read he just wants to do the highlight reel, it all snapped into focus. The Top 10 list is the part of SportsCenter most like the president’s favorite activity— giving a keen speech without executing much of anything. It’s the health care campaign speeches without the website build.

Lord help us if he manages to continue ruining sports after he’s done ruining health care. I imagine he’ll opt for high-paying speeches, sweet seats at the Final Four, and the occasional sports-related interview. A SportsCenter commercial cameo could actually be hilarious. Thankfully, the bigwigs didn’t take him seriously:

Other than having a good laugh, Iger apparently didn’t respond.

“Everyone had a good giggle,” says one person who attended.

Hey, a liberal ideologue with a longtime love of sports, a penchant for condescension, disdain for half the country, and terrible management skills? That slot’s been filled.

DaDaDa DaDaDa

Exit trivia: Did you know President Ronald Reagan was in the booth when Bo Jackson hit the lead-off homer in the All-Star Game in 1989? When you see the outfits of the dudes scrambling for the ball when it goes over the fence, I think you’ll agree this may be the most awesomely late-’80s moment the late ’80s had to offer:

Comments

First MSNBC

Then CNBC

Then CNN

Next ESPN

The SCOAMF is destroying cable channels at a relentless pace.

PolAgnostic on December 4, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Barky’s staying within his sphere of competence on that one, though it’s a close call since he can only count to 20. I’m not so sure how he’s going to do reading the prompter, though …

“Oh’-ree-ahn!”

“Corpsemen”

… If ESPN uses phonetic spelling for Barky it should be okay.

I just wonder if Barky would be allowed to host the top 10 from prison.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I support this. If he destroys “professional” sports like he’s destroyed the USA, it will be a job well done.

Warner Todd Huston on December 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Let him. Better that he works his kiss of death in sports than in our daily toil.

AH_C on December 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM

How much is my Bo Jackson rookie card (football) worth?

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Another opportunity to prove his incompetence.

MPan on December 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Eighties-Killing Joke

cmsinaz on December 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Looks like $10. Or less. I guess that’s what happens when you blow out your hip.

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Please, he’s not even qualified to do that.

Flange on December 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Do sportscasters use teleprompters?

When I read he just wants to do the highlight reel, it all snapped into focus.

Oh, he just wants to work for a few minutes each week.

txhsmom on December 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Please, no: Obama to use presidency as stepping stone to SportsCenter gig

I can’t wait for the “Please no, Obama to take shower in the morning” post.
The Obama derangement syndrome on this site can’t get any worse. No?

loveofcountry on December 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I don’t really care. If they would offer him a lifetime gig tomorrow, and he resigned to take it, I would celebrate like it’s 1999.

NotCoach on December 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I can’t wait for the “Please no, Obama to take shower in the morning” post.
The Obama derangement syndrome on this site can’t get any worse. No?

loveofcountry on December 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Sweet post dude. Big LOL on this end.

Chuck Schick on December 4, 2013 at 7:02 PM

gophergirl on December 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I can’t wait for the “Please no, Obama to take shower in the morning” post.
The Obama derangement syndrome on this site can’t get any worse. No?

loveofcountrystupidity on December 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

So go away?

NotCoach on December 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM

He just can’t give up the spotlight.

redshirt on December 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM

A bromance with Keith Olbermann is on the horizon?

meci on December 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Why is this a surprise? Obama has a history of using his perch at the political top for ‘punching down’. Who would expect anything else from this empty suit?

notta_dhimmi on December 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM

It seems that things are back to normal in the ObaMedia household. Covering the breaking Sportscenter story and the family pets:

Pooches Bo, Sunny star at White House Christmas party

kcewa on December 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Theologians have known this for hundreds of years:

Early Human Interbreeding More Widespread Than Thought, Study Suggests

davidk on December 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Bo knows.

ladyingray on December 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I don’t watch Sport Center, so I could care less.

And the more the NFL cozies up to support “causes”, political or other, the more I am turned off. Don’t fail me, NCAA!

ladyingray on December 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Pooches Bo, Sunny star at White House Christmas party

kcewa on December 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM

You would think they’d be smarter than having Christmas cookies of dogs when the President is a known dog eater.

Flange on December 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I’ll consider that your two week notice! Go now!!

Seriously, another job he isn’t qualified for.

JAM on December 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Ah, it is just a fantasy.

Not that he actually wants to be a sportscaster.

He just likes the idea of being around, talking about, big sweaaty men..

LegendHasIt on December 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

NotCoach on December 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Seconded. Even if it does leave us with President Biden.

JimLennon on December 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Sen. Warren says she won’t run for president in 2016

Looks like her bank account just filled up with Clinton dollars.

kcewa on December 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM

The same Obama that said football was too violent and if he had a son, he’s not sure he’d let him play football?

JetBoy on December 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I can’t wait for the “Please no, Obama to take shower in the morning” post.
The Obama derangement syndrome on this site can’t get any worse. No?

loveofcountry

Really? You don’t see anything wrong with a sitting president (nobel prize winner, no less) saying he wants to read the highlight reel on Sports Center, when said president has been known to spend more time on his March Madness bracket than he does on his economic briefing? I don’t care if it was in jest, which I’m thinking it wasn’t entirely, it is still just so bizarre and shows this dude just isn’t presidential material. Ugh!

JAM on December 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

NO ONE has ever accused King Barack the Magnificent of having any CLASS.

GarandFan on December 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM

If it happens, the Big BO won’t last long.

There’s something the Big BO either can’t or won’t do.

And that’s to show up for work on time.

TimBuk3 on December 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM

The sports media is populated with the leftist overflow from the main propaganda machine. The question should be: Would anyone notice a difference if he did?

TQM38a on December 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM

It would take Barky 30 minutes to stumble his way through the “Fastest 3 Minutes in Television” bit.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM

On his first night, he could name his top 10 favorite White Sox. Oops, turns out that Mr. White Sox fan doesn’t actually….know any White Sox players.

O.k., so he could do a list of the 10 most famous plays at Cominskey Field.

No? Alrighty, howzabout Barry’s top 10 Special Olympics slurs? Or maybe just keep him the hell away from TV cameras?

86 on December 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Maybe they’ll hire him away before his current gig is up? One can dream.

MomInLatteland on December 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

…JugEars wants to practice…his pivot!

KOOLAID2 on December 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

He’d make a fine successor to Mike Tomlin.

Christien on December 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Maybe he thinks it would make him more popular than, say, Secretary General of the United Nations.

Or else, he may have finally realized that the job he really wanted, Ultimate Totality God of Everything for the Rest of Eternity, doesn’t actually exist.

No, sorry. That would require actual minimal contact with reality for him, and that’s just not happening, ever.

clear ether

eon

eon on December 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

And a little dash of Obama derangement syndrome from Hack-er I mean Ham. Yeah he’s going to destroy ESPN like he did healthcare. I guess its a slow newsday…or somebody else is a bit slow…I guess MKH needs a hug.

Mr.Mark on December 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Obama is going to leave office with a flat, shi**y resume of accomplishments, so doing something in sports would be a step up for Obama’s overall worth.

The Nerve on December 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Mr.Mark on December 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

The TRVTH is too frightening to address in seriousness. I’m not blaming those at HA, it’s all across the board. Most journalists and talking heads want desperately to believe that all of this is just another round of political chess, the pendulum swinging and all that. They long for the days of William F. Buckley, Jr., Dick Cavett, Tim Russert, etc., where politics is something to be addressed pretty much as a hobby and over polite conversation at dinner parties in NYC and Georgetown with few repercussions for our Republic and our Liberty.

Those who seek absolute power, on the other hand, have never taken their eyes off of their goals. And they’re winning.

I think more Americans are allowing the notion that the way things are now is indeed permanent, and could get worse. The fear is starting to grow…but how folks respond to all this will vary-I suspect mostly denial, Bread and Circuses diversions, and outright (continuing) hostility to those who point out the seriousness of our situation (like the TEA Party has tried to do).

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Just for memories sake… Obama’s 7 most embarrassing sports moments

JetBoy on December 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I have a feeling Obama will disappear of the map when out of office. He will run like a scared little girl without the full protection from the military.

F_This on December 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Early Human Interbreeding More Widespread Than Thought, Study Suggests

davidk on December 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

They practiced rishathra

PolAgnostic on December 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Good!
I would support this move for him.

Unfortunately I think his future ambitions run more along the “dictator of the U.S. for life” road.

Sterling Holobyte on December 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM

He should do it now, no need to wait. He can show the world another facet of his unbounded ignorance.

virgo on December 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Heh!!! I am going to ask my DS about what sportscasters and management think about this..he works on the..inside..of sports media…so he should have some insight…

Xango Annie on December 5, 2013 at 1:42 AM

That’s OK.

No. Really it is OK.

I don’t watch television, and if I did I definitely would not watch SportsCenter.

lsheldon on December 5, 2013 at 2:35 AM

So quit your presidency and do it now: just make up a law as usual forcing ESPN to take you.

No biggie.

Sherman1864 on December 5, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Can’t touch dis, Won’t watch dat, nah nah nah nah, won’t watch dat. Sorry, but I don’t watch a lot of espn talking heads talking about sports and who’s better than who else at the game. I’d rather see it proved on the field.

Kissmygrits on December 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Let me announce basketball games. His constant droning couldn’t make that any more of a snooze fest than it already is.

RebeccaH on December 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

“him”, I mean.

RebeccaH on December 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Obama and Ray Lewis. Sweet. Martin Bashir can do cameos.

NoPain on December 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM