New Mark Pryor ad: If God can forgive me for voting for ObamaCare, why can’t you?

posted at 11:21 am on December 4, 2013 by Allahpundit

I’m paraphrasing, natch, but there’s a reason why this ad is heavy on human imperfection and verrry light on party identification. Pryor’s rightly worried about how the Democratic agenda’s playing at home in Arkansas, and by “agenda” I don’t mean raising the minimum wage. Odds that a future ad will include the phrase “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”: 95 percent.

Actually, O-Care’s only half his problem. The other half, Sean Trende argues, is that all signs over the past year point to an even steeper than expected drop-off for Democrats in 2014.

Taken together, of the 170 contested elections that have been held this year for state legislative seats, for federal office, or for statewide office, the Democrat ran ahead of President Obama’s 2012 showing in only 27 races. By contrast, the Democrat ran more than 10 points behind the president’s showing in 47 races. On average, Democrats ran 5.9 percentage points behind the president, with a median drop-off of 6.4. Even if we knock a point off of these numbers to account for the Chris Christie effect in many of these races, that’s still a big decline.

What does this mean for 2014? Possibly nothing. There is a lot of football left to be played, the president’s job approval rating could rally significantly, the Democrats could become enthused, and drop-off could become a non-issue.

But if that doesn’t happen, Democrats have a real headache coming on. Let’s assume they can expect a drop-off of four to five points from Obama’s 2012 performance, all other things being equal. Twenty-eight House Democrats occupy seats where Obama won less than 55 percent of the vote. More disturbingly for Mr. Jackson’s Party, 13 Senate seats fall into this category. This is consistent with what we’ve seen in polling: Democrats putting up terrible numbers in places like Louisiana, Arkansas and North Carolina, while races in states like Michigan and Iowa are looking surprisingly tight.

Bottom line: If the GOP can’t beat this stiff, who also voted for amnesty, in a conservative state with a Harvard Law grad turned decorated veteran as its nominee, it should disband. Exit question via David Freddoso, who notes that Republicans, of course, have played this game too: Who’s witnessing for whom here?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

His opponent should cut an ad reading from the Book of Armaments from Holy Grail.

Christien on December 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

What is that about the last refuge of a scoundrel? Pryor must really be desperate. It’s time for the Republicans to remember the Democrats will do anything, and I mean anything, to retain their power. This statement by Pryor is only the beginning. Wait until you see what Landreau pulls in Louisiana!!

bflat879 on December 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

The GOP? Beat this guy? The GOP??? Why would they want to?

John McInsane is probably making an endorsement video for Pryor right now, and McConnell is figuring out how to channel some campaign money to him.

bofh on December 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

God is not the that’s going to have to pay for his vote. Let God forgive him…let the people of Arkansas throw his arse out.

cajunpatriot on December 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM

listens2glenn on December 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Some would argue that having the wrong theology IS a highway to hell.

As for your assertion that a failure to recognize god is a (highway to hell)…

Whatever Glenn…

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I hope he likes pineapples

HotAirian on December 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Christien on December 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

And the number of the counting shall be three. Four is right out.

Jaibones on December 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM

If there is a god out there I don’t think he’s nearly as childish as the god you worship. SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Funny how there’s no God, but you know all about Him.

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

How many babies will be killed with tax money from those people who abhor abortion Mr. Pryor? How many older people will be frog marched to a slow death because of your Obamacare death panels?

And you’re just worried about re-election? If you had any shame, you’d slink off to the nearest wailing wall and beat your breast until it caves in.

You knew what Obama and your party of death stood for.
So you now want God to cover for you? Did you protest at your convention when your “lust is us” and “culture of death” friends booed that same God? I thought not.

Don L on December 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

1. Funny how there’s no God, heaven, or hell, yet you know all about what they can’t be/do.

2. Where do you think Dante got the idea, genius?

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

1. How many times do I have to say it akzed? I don’t say there is a god or not anymore. As for the idea of heaven or hell, that’s a human construct borne out of religious dogma and theology and has no basis in fact. It’s nothing but wishful thinking.

What I DO say though is that your notion of god doesn’t exist, JUST like you tell a Muslim or Hindu that their notion, or notions, of god don’t exist.

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Funny how there’s no God, but you know all about Him.

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Again, I don’t say a god does or doesn’t exist. I just call BS on your notion of he/she/it…

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

So where was his North Star and divine guidance when he voted for this mess?

ziggyville on December 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

This is what is meant by taking the Lord’s name in vain.

rich8450 on December 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

You’re not dead yet, idiot.
All the girls in hell look like your mama.

RovesChins on December 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

2. I know perfectly well where Dante got his ideas, at least I have a pretty good idea of it (since I wasn’t there in his head when he wrote the book). SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

So where was his North Star and divine guidance when he voted for this mess?

ziggyville on December 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Two over on the fourteenth hole.

rogerb on December 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Church and state must be strictly separated.

Unless you’re a liberal Democrat, then it’s OK.

See? Democrats have consistent principles: Democrats win; anybody else loses.

Socratease on December 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Oh no. Never underestimate the GOP.

RovesChins on December 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Sorry,

No excuse for voting for an obvious disaster.

A child knew it wouldn’t work.

SparkPlug on December 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM

1. No matter how you slice it, agnostic means “no knowledge.” So your self designation as such prevents you from commenting on the issue.

2. Unlike you, I don’t plead ignorance then go on talking about what I’ve disclaimed knowledge of.

3. But you said earlier that the notion of there being levels of condemnation was Dante’s invention and not a biblical claim. As usual, when proved wrong, you just keep skipping.

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

1. Being agnostic doesn’t prevent one from saying that imaginary gods don’t exist, that human-invented gods don’t exist.

2. Discounting the Christian god, the Muslim god, the Hindu gods isn’t the same as saying a god doesn’t exist. It’s just calling BS on your notion of it.

3. I NEVER said it was an invention of Dante and not a biblical claim. I scoffed at Astonerii’s comment, that is all.

As usual, your attempts at putting words into my mouth and changing the meaning of the words I used falls flat on its face.

Keep skipping…

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

See? Democrats have consistent principles: Democrats win; anybody else loses. Socratease on December 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Joe Lieberman (ACU voting record to the left of Ted Kennedy’s) said when running with Kerry that anyone opposed to Social Security was breaking the Commandment to honor one’s father and mother.

Of course, this is BS, but there were no complaints from the Left.

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM

LOL! God has different levels for those who go to heaven? What? God has a former congressman/voted for Obamacare section? Me thinks you read too much Dante Alighieri… SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Go away liar. You’re like dog crap on December 4′s shoe.

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM

There are times when I suspect politics is God’s version of daytime TV.

PersonFromPorlock on December 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Go away liar. You’re like dog crap on December 4′s shoe.

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Again, that’s an example of me scoffing at Astonerii’s comment. That is all. Its not me saying it was an invention of Dante’s and not a biblical claim.

Go away and quit putting words into my mouth.

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

This is so embarrassing, I didn’t finish watching

Obviously he’s speaking to the bible thumpers

Anybody with a 40 IQ should see through this desperate little idiot

But…

Redford on December 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Even if there was any reason to take his own word that God forgave him (hint: Nope…) is the only way to show forgiveness to elect him to high office, again, when he has abundantly shown he is no good at it?

Forgiveness doesn’t mean you have to let someone who has demonstrated a propensity to put his boot on your neck, to do it again and again. Has he even apologized for his actions against the people, admitted they were wrong, called loudly and repeatedly for them to be undone, and claimed he would not do it again? Never mind given us reason to believe he means it…

Dirty Creature on December 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Dear Sen. Pryor,

God forgives anyone who admits to their sin, repents and atones for it.

You have done none of these things.

You will still be forgiven by God.

Your voters are under no such heavy burden.

ajacksonian on December 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Aw, he says he’s sorry. Really? How about scared he’ll lose his perks.

MN J on December 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

SK, for someone who claims to have no knowledge about something you sure have no problem running your mouth about it.

“You’re a rocker scientist, eh? Well, I don’t know anything about rocket science, but what you just said about thrust vectoring is wrong.” -SK

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” -Mark Twain

Your lie above is so conspicuous that further comment would amount to nothing but restatement of the obvious. Go away until the next atheist thread. This is not an atheist thread.

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Well Mr. Pryor.
G_D who knows your heart, very well may forgive you.
however there ARE consequences for actions.
so you are going to reap the harvest of what you have sown.
enjoy the fruit of your labor.

conservative tarheel on December 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Did not read through the whole list of comments, so someone may have beaten me to this.

I am not a Christian, but I have studied it in its various denominations and theological approaches. I am not ANTI-Christian by any means. I appreciate that the Judeo-Christian ethos is necessary for freedom and for the individual to have any societal value. I just find that I am not really a person of faith.

That said, Pryor’s conception of divine forgiveness seems to be flawed. To receive forgiveness, there must be at least 3 things.

1) Genuine contrition for the offending act. I see no sign of this. I see fear of losing office.

2) Acceptance of the need for penance for the act, and a willingness to undergo the penance if imposed. His goal seems to be a desire to maintain his position and not suffer penance for his actions.

3) A genuine desire and intention not to repeat the offending action. Does anybody believe that if re-elected that Pryor would not support any and all oppressive Statist acts by the regime and/or author new ones? And if so, what is the basis of that belief?

This is a lying Liu2 kou3shui3 de5 biao3zi5 he2 hou2zi5 de5 ben4 er2zi5 who wants to avoid the consequences of his actions so that he can do them again. The above parameters are for divine forgiveness. Humans [and even LIV's are technically human] are far less forgiving and more vengeful.

Penance can be removal from any position where he may be able to harm us again, because he cannot be trusted not to do so since we cannot ‘see into his heart’; and maybe there will be a chance that he will have to actually live amongst and as the serfs. Which will cause him the most pain possible.

Subotai Bahadur on December 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

SK the little atheist manchild hijacking the thread wants someone to go away. LOL.

22044 on December 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Akzed, it doesn’t take much to discount the Christian god… Just look at how easily you discount the Islamic god, the Hindu gods, et al. The methodology is the same.

“Man is a religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion — several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn’t straight.”
Mark Twain

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Hannity just gave a mention of “some blogger” on HotAir, regarding this headline “If God can forgive me for voting for ObamaCare, why can’t you?”, that he wish he’d thought of it.

Paul-Cincy on December 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM

22044 on December 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

LOL! Only because he bade me go away first. ;-)

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM

This is so full of fail in all directions that I’m in tears with laughter.

Good Lt on December 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I… am Sean Hannity.

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM

LOL! Sean Hannity’s sock puppet account? ;-)

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Good Lt on December 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

You’re wanted on another thread.

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Subotai Bahadur on December 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

There was a thread a day or two ago about man being the offspring of a pig and monkey.

davidk on December 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Liu2 kou3shui3 de5 biao3zi5 he2 hou2zi5 de5 ben4 er2zi5

流口水的婊子和猴子的笨兒子。・流口水的婊子和猴子的笨儿子。

davidk on December 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

If you have never really pondered the question “who is Jesus Christ?” then you simply cannot consider yourself to be a committed intellectual – at least not yet.

davidk on December 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM

“Bless me father, for I have sinned. It has been four years since my last confession.”

HellCat on December 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Liu2 kou3shui3 de5 biao3zi5 he2 hou2zi5 de5 ben4 er2zi5
流口水的婊子和猴子的笨兒子。・流口水的婊子和猴子的笨儿子。

davidk on December 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

We going all Firefly on this one?

(I could watch Morena Baccarin cuss in Chinese all day long…)

Haiku Guy on December 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Davidk at 3:46

What a crappily thought out article

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

(I could watch Morena Baccarin cuss in Chinese all day long…)Haiku Guy on December 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM

As good, I’m sure.

Akzed on December 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Here is a guy who is asking us to accept this was his following prayer to GOD.

“Dear Lord. I am confused and need guidance. On one hand there is a plan, of which I have no understanding, that will alter the lives of millions of people- against their will- for political gain. If I agree with this plan, I am loved by democrats and my President, y’know the other guy who can walk on water. If I refuse, recognizing my duty to follow due diligence and not harm my fellow man, I will be thrown from my party and all the cool stuff I get from being in power will be taken from me. And you know how hard I prayed to get that stuff in the first place!

Soooo…. I was wondering if you could tell me what to do. I’ll flip a coin, you can use your heavenly finger to turn it the way it needs to go. Heads, I vote for Obamacare and let the masses fend for themselves and I get to keep my stuff. Tails, I stand on principle and may be thrown back into the real world where the…regular people live..ugh. Okay, here goes…Tails! Hmmm…alright, it appears you may have been busy somewhere else saving someone from a flood or something, so how about we try it again. Okay, that’s better Heads. I knew it all along. Thanks God.

Oh BTW- if this screws up I’m blaming you in a campaign commercial.

uhh.. Oh yeah, Amen and all that stuff.”

archer52 on December 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Playing the God Card already?

If he was a true believer, he’d know that God doesn’t need 11 months of preparation to save his hide.

Carnac on December 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

archer52 on December 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM

LIKE!

Carnac on December 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM

His future opponent should find all the instances of Mark Pryor demagoguing conservatives, asserting his having all the “right” answers while casting aspersions, and include those in a retrospective review of Pryor’s time in office.

in_awe on December 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Mark -

Are you really sure God has forgiven you for voting for ObamaCare?

bw222 on December 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

The Bible also says you reap what you sew…so REAP it, you SOB!
Any voter who votes one of these lying, deceitful, self/party serving SOBs truly DESERVES to be used, abused, robbed, etc…they will deserve everything happening to them.

If this fat, lyong, egotistical, progressive elitist wanted forgivinezz he would mimic a certain tax collector in the Bible who repented and gave back to the people from whom he stole several times the amount he originally stole.

If he wants my forgiveness, not my vote, he can join in the/a movement to Impeach Obama!

easyt65 on December 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Last refuge of a scoundrel …

jaywemm on December 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM

His true “god” was Obama, and his “god” has failed. He shouldn’t therefore try to hide behind the KJB.

Dhuka on December 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

That is begging in my book and I wouldn’t vote him as county dog catcher.

FireBlogger on December 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

listens2glenn on December 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Some would argue that having the wrong theology IS a highway to hell.

As for your assertion that a failure to recognize god is a (highway to hell)…

Whatever Glenn…

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

We always eventually end up here; the God of the Bible is not “childish”. Our forefather, the first Adam, did something that can be called “childish”, and by so doing he turned all of his posterity over to Satan. That is a repercussion/consequence that we had no choice over.
The heavenly Father God sent His Son to make a way back to God, but it demands/requires every individual adult, or person of ‘sound mind’ to make the choice for themselves, to go back to God.

Does that seem too unreasonable to you?

JESUS
. . . . . . . IS
. . . . . . . . . . LORD

listens2glenn on December 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Mark -

Are you really sure God has forgiven you for voting for ObamaCare?

bw222 on December 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

God will forgive anyone for anything except: rejection of Jesus.

That the only ‘sin’ you can’t be forgiven of.

listens2glenn on December 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I refuse to forgive anyone for supporting fascism.

pdigaudio on December 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM

The democrat convention shouted down god.

SouthernGent on December 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM

This slimy political ad is right out of Saul Alinsky’s “Rules For Radicals”. Rule #4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” How I hate it when these disgusting progressives try to use Holy Scripture to shame us into acting in a way beneficial to their spurious schemes. Pryor didn’t read the bill and didn’t understand the bill before voting for the bill. He put his personal interests before the best interests of his constituents. Arkansans need to lead the way and retire this POS.

“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.” ~ James Madison, primary author of the Constitution

SpiderMike on December 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

God will forgive anyone for anything except: rejection of Jesus.

That the only ‘sin’ you can’t be forgiven of.

listens2glenn on December 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Why not?

Most of the human race rejects Jesus in the same say you reject Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, Yaweh, etc. You’re all atheists as far as the other guy’s religion is concerned, right? And that’s the worst sin you can think of?

Somebody can be forgiven for child rape, but not for holding a certain thought in their head that your particular religion doesn’t like?

Good Lt on December 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I couldnt play the video, but pulled up quotes from USAtoday

“I’m not ashamed to say I believe in God and I believe in his word,” Pryor says in the TV ad that began running statewide Wednesday. “The Bible teaches us no one has all the answers. Only God does. And neither political party is always right.”

Mealy mouthed hypocrite

Politico, Nov 8,

Democratic senators facing reelection have a green light to bash the White House and call for certain legislative fixes. But they’ve been urged by senior administration officials not to insist on delaying the controversial law’s core: The mandate for individuals to purchase insurance coverage or face penalties.

Obama is not ashamed to say he believes in God either. But Obama is also not ashamed to cover up the cross at Notre Dame or leave God out of the Gettysburg address.

Or to insist Christians subsidize birth control and abortions for non believers and face loss of their businesses if they refuse, Or to impose increasing fines on individuals who refuse to sign on with an Obama mandated policy that includes such coverage.

Pryor was not ashamed to vote to force believers into this ungodly practice, which includes Death Panels

20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire. 2 Peter 2

If God can forgive me for voting for ObamaCare, why can’t you?

How do you know God has forgiven you? Forgiveness only comes after repentance

AH_C on December 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM

sordid. He should have left God out of it, as he did when he voted

entagor on December 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

listens2glenn

Your unicorn needs feeding again Glenda

Bandit13 on December 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Good Lt

Don’t pay pay any attention to Glenda, he was out on a bender last night with a couple of leprechaun.

Bandit13 on December 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Well, God doesn’t have to pay Obamacare premiums and we do, which makes it a little mor difficult for voters to forgive Obamacare supporters.

While neither party is always right, the Democrats are wrong the most often.

talkingpoints on December 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Does that seem too unreasonable to you?

listens2glenn on December 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Completely…

Doesn’t it sound unreasonable for your god to hold everyone else accountable for the sins of one person? So his “fix” for this is to send us the “perfec”t human specimen in Jesus and then fashion his slaughter at the hands of bronze aged bedouins and sheepherders?

You’re childish for believing in the god of the bible. Bible god is a childish god that came from the infancy of our species historically.

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

HA confessional open for business. Reprobates step right up and freely confess.

Murphy9 on December 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Does that seem too unreasonable to you?

listens2glenn on December 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Completely…

SauerKraut537 on December 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I can at least say ‘thank you’ for being honest, and genuine.

If nothing else, I believe you are that.

listens2glenn on December 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

listens2glenn on December 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

You’re free to get mad glenn… I appreciate the reply you gave me but get mad…

Not at me though. Get mad at yourself for letting yourself be led to believe that the god that could be would be so inane, jealous, capricious, and malevolent…

Come to the realization that you’ve been led down a path of wishful thinking, but keep in mind that I was too. Just swallow your pride, it’s one of the “deadly” sins, and get over it. The Christian god is no more real than the Islamic god or the Hindu gods are, but that’s not to say a god doesn’t exist… Having those positions on this subject are not mutually exclusive. That is to say that admitting that the god that could be isn’t bible god isn’t going to result in your demise…

Get over it bro, same with the rest of you. Quit living your life through the prism of bronze aged bedouins and sheepherders who had a poetic streak in them and fashioned literary works of fiction.

Jesus isn’t Lord, any more than Mohammed was a prophet.

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM

He’s probably on the Al Jazeera network holding a Koran, at the local Synagogue with a Torah and a yarmulke, romping through a pagan circle with an oak leaf wreath on his head, on Univision in front of a giant Guadalupe shrine…

Boudica on December 5, 2013 at 4:07 AM

LITTLE ROCK, Ark.—Sen. Mark Pryor, speaking to a group of college officials, recently offered a biblical solution to Washington’s gridlock. Politicians should follow the teachings of Jesus, the two-term Democrat said, quoting from the Sermon on the Mount.

The ability of Democrats to keep control of the Senate in 2014 will depend largely on elections in southern states like Arkansas. One measure of the difficulties facing the party is that even a lawmaker like Mr. Pryor, a Scripture-quoting evangelical, is viewed by some conservative voters with suspicion.

Three of the four most vulnerable Senate Democrats in the 2014 election are from the South. Mr. Pryor and Sens. Kay Hagan of North Carolina and Mary Landrieu of Louisiana—as well as Democratic candidates in Kentucky and Georgia—must contend with the dismal approval ratings of President Barack Obama in their home states. They face increased political pressure from the problem-ridden rollout of the health-care law.

Five years ago, Mr. Pryor coasted to a second term, but it was a different world. In 2008, Congress had dozens of conservative Democrats; the Tea Party had not yet made a mark on the GOP; and Arkansas remained a Democratic Party bastion, a holdout against the GOP tide that swept the South over the last half century.

Now, Mr. Pryor, son of one of Arkansas’ most popular political figures, is the state’s remaining Democrat in Congress and one of the last of Washington’s “Blue Dogs,” as the dwindling ranks of conservative Democrats are known. The state still has a Democratic governor, but since Mr. Obama was first elected president, Arkansas’ state legislature and U.S. House delegation have flipped from blue to red.

Porter Briggs, a Little Rock businessman and lifelong Democrat, had always supported Mr. Pryor and Mr. Pryor’s father, David Pryor, a former senator and governor. But disappointed in Mr. Pryor’s support of the health-care law, Mr. Briggs said he let the senator know he would back his likely 2014 opponent, Republican Rep. Tom Cotton. The Arkansas Poll in October found voters evenly split between the two men.

“I told him I felt he’s listening to the Democratic Party, which has left us,” Mr. Briggs said. “It swung to the left and Mark went with them.”

- From: Democrats Face Battles in South to Hold the Senate

ITguy on December 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Start packing, Mark.

Amazingoly on December 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Because, my son, we think you are not truly contrite and are in fact engaged in sin by giving your “confession”.

claudius on December 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM

listens2glenn on December 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

You’re free to get mad glenn… I appreciate the reply you gave me but get mad…

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Thank you for the “freedom”, but I’m not sure of why I would use it here.

You’re the one going full-speed past the “BRIDGE OUT” sign.

You’re going to have to explain your use of the words inane, capricious, and malevolent.
God uses the word “jealous” to describe himself, but He specifically defines it as being like the jealousy a married person (either sex) has over their spouse. If your spouse begins to get “intimate” with someone else, then jealousy is a normal response.

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM

My sincere apologies, if I have come across as being “prideful” (arrogant, actually) in any way. : (

The heavenly Father God and Jesus are alive. Allah is not, Muhammad is not, Buddha is not, (insert the name of any “god” I might have missed, here) is not, ….. Jesus IS.

Jesus isn’t Lord, any more than Mohammed was a prophet.

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM

The words conveyed by those “bronze aged bedouins and sheepherders who had a poetic streak in them”, originated from another party, and were way ahead of their time.

Tell Jesus yourself that He’s not Lord, when you see him.

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Tell Jesus yourself that He’s not Lord, when you see him.

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Hey Glenda, you know Beck is a Mormon, right? And you know he doesn’t believe in the same god that you profess to, right? And everything SauerKraut said is spot on, and threatening judgement from your silly fictitious deity comes across as spiteful and desperate. Now go play with your unicorn.

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

The words you want me to define have a meaning you can find in any dictionary. As for the jealousy your god exudes… That’s a cute analogy you gave but it’s puerile when talking about a god. Why would a god be jealous, what would a god truly have to jealous of?

If you were an omnipotent, omnipresent and omnibenevolent god like people claim the Christian god is, what would you truly have to be jealous of…? Jealousy implies that you have something to be jealous of and your god is supposedly the only god there is…

As for pride. The pride I speak of is the pride of not being willing to admit you’re wrong. To admit that you could be wrong in your beliefs about the Christian god being the one and true god is the “letting go of your pride” I speak of.

No he isn’t, not any more than Muhammad is or Buddha is (Buddha isn’t a god and buddhism isn’t a theological belief system by the way.

No it didn’t, just as the Islamic texts didn’t originate with Allah, just as the Hindu texts didn’t.

Tell Jesus yourself that He’s not Lord, when you see him.

It’s possible you could be right, but I seriously doubt it’s gonna happen just like you seriously doubt a Muslim martyr would get 72 virgins for fighting and dying for Allah…

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 12:37

As near as I can tell, they read the same Bible I do. If they get a “different god” out of it, or if they derive a “different god” from the ‘Book Of Mormon’, you’ll have to explain it in greater detail.

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Aw, that’s it …………..

I’ve told people here before that I have been given the “ministry of judgement” from God, so I guess it’s time to exercise it ……….
YOU’RE JUDGED !

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Pryor never heard “when you are in a hole you should quit digging”

doublee on December 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Ok, I’ll take responsibility for an absence of clarity there …..

what I was looking for from you, were examples of God acting in a way that would justify you in applying those words to Him.

The “cute analogy” of the ‘jealous lover’ comes from the Bible (the whole book of Hosea). I can’t taking credit for originating it.
The reason God created ‘mankind’ was to have someone else like Himself, to relate to.
God has always desired relationships with people as individuals, and NOT ‘religious rituals’ or ‘groveling.’

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I’ll admit I’m wrong, every time I become aware of it. But you haven’t convinced me, as pertains to this discussion.
Any Christian believer can reciprocate by telling you that ‘admitting you need a savior’ constitutes the real “letting go of your pride.”

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Me: Yes He is.

You: No he isn’t.

Me: Yes He is.

You: No he isn’t.

Me: Yes He is.

You: No he isn’t.

(repeat, until the end of time)

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Me: Yes it did.

You: No it didn’t.

Me: Yes it did.

You: No it didn’t.

Me: Yes it did.

You: No it didn’t.

(repeat, until the end of time)

Jesus isn’t Lord, any more than Mohammed was a prophet.

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Tell Jesus yourself that He’s not Lord, when you see him.

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

SauerKraut537 on December 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

All I can do is shrug my shoulders, and say that I at least got the “slimmest of slim possibilities” out of you.

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Any Christian believer can reciprocate by telling you that ‘admitting you need a savior’ constitutes the real “letting go of your pride intelligence.”

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

FIFY Glenda

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Uhhh, you REALLY know nothing of Mormonism, do you? Google is your friend, but suffice it to say that they are poly theistic, meaning they believe the christian god was once a man, and that all deserving mormon men will eventually become gods of their own planets. And yes, they believe in the same bible that you do. Just goes to show you how insane religion really is, huh, except you don’t see it when you are on the inside looking out. Religious folks don’t care about the truth, they only want to feel cared for and loved, even if its coming from a fictitious deity.

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Proverbs 18:6 ESV

A fool’s lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating.

Murphy9 on December 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Uhhh, you REALLY know nothing of Mormonism, do you?

If only they still taught reformed egyptian hieroglyphics.

Murphy9 on December 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

FIFY Glenda

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Me: No you didn’t

You: Yes I did.

Me: No you didn’t

You: Yes I did.

Me: No you didn’t

You: Yes I did.

(repeat until the end of time)

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM

“Bottom line: If the GOP can’t beat this stiff, who also voted for amnesty, in a conservative state with a Harvard Law grad turned decorated veteran as its nominee, it should disband.”

The present GOP, which is also sidling towards amnesty, needs to disband anyway.

David Blue on December 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Uhhh, you REALLY know nothing of Mormonism, do you?

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

( s i g h ) … No, I guess not. But that’s why I have you.

….. suffice it to say that they are poly theistic, meaning they believe the christian god was once a man, and that all deserving mormon men will eventually become gods of their own planets.

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? !

The Christian God is a man, and He will never relinquish that status.
You’re going to have to cite a source on that “gods of their own planets” statement. Saying “Google it” isn’t good enough.

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I’m pretty sure the “want to feel cared for and loved” is inherent in every man, woman, and child.
The Christians I know get plenty of love from family and friends.
But the most absolute, highest degree of light, life, and love can only come from God.

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

David Blue on December 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Or be taken over by the Tea Party.

Either way, “the present GOP” has a grossly insufficient amount of difference (if any) between themselves, and the “Donkeys”.

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Proverbs 18:6 ESV

A fool’s lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating.

Murphy9 on December 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

. . . . . . . . . . . . : )

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM

The Christian God is a man, and He will never relinquish that status.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste…Just go back to sleep while the rest of the world continues to pass you by.

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM

A mind is a terrible thing to waste

So what is your excuse?

Murphy9 on December 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM

The Christian God is a man, and He will never relinquish that status.

listens2glenn on December 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Bandit13 on December 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM

If that’s all the answer you’re capable of, we’re done here.

listens2glenn on December 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM

If you are relying on the Bible, you really ought not be in politics. So either Mr Pryor you are BS in me or you are stupid .. either way ..

steveracer on December 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM

If you are relying on the Bible, you really ought not be in politics.

steveracer on December 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Why not?

So either Mr Pryor you are BS in me or you are stupid .. either way ..

steveracer on December 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM

He’s BSing his constituents. If you live within his District, then it includes you.

listens2glenn on December 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM