Confirmed: Martin Bashir too nasty even for MSNBC

posted at 3:34 pm on December 4, 2013 by Allahpundit

They’re calling it a resignation to let him save face but Politico heard through the grapevine yesterday that he’d been suspended for what he said about Palin. Essentially he gambled that, on the left’s cable news network of choice, you simply can’t go too far in insulting the right generally and Sarah Palin in particular. Turns out he was wrong — fantasizing on-air about sh*tting in people’s mouths is the red line, it seems. But be fair: Based on MSNBC’s track record, the odds were with him, no?

In a barrel full of rotten apples, he really was the worst.

After making an on-air apology, I asked for permission to take some additional time out around the Thanksgiving holiday.

Upon further reflection, and after meeting with the President of MSNBC, I have tendered my resignation. It is my sincere hope that all of my colleagues, at this special network, will be allowed to focus on the issues that matter without the distraction of myself or my ill-judged comments.

I deeply regret what was said, will endeavor to work hard at making constructive contributions in the future and will always have a deep appreciation for our viewers – who are the smartest, most compassionate and discerning of all television audiences. I would also wish to express deepest gratitude to my immediate colleagues, and our contributors, all of whom have given so much of themselves to our broadcast.’

This is a guy who took Mormon-themed digs at Mitt Romney; brought on a shrink to analyze the allegedly violent, possibly psychotic tendencies of tea partiers; accused Republicans of treating the word “IRS” as a racist dog-whistle against Obama; and wondered if Rick Santorum wasn’t some sort of theocratic second coming of Stalin. When Steve Jobs died two years ago, he turned his on-air eulogy into an excuse to — ta da — bash Sarah Palin again. All of this is par for the course on MSNBC so imagine Bashir’s surprise, after all of that, upon finding out that introducing a little actual rhetorical scat into the figurative scat-flinging at righties was an unpardonable sin worthy of suspension. I’ll bet he’s mystified even now.

Despite the years of nastiness, though, I’ll repeat what I wrote about him the other day: I’m not convinced that he’s a true-believin’ leftist ideologue the way the rest of the line-up is. The stupidity and desperation of attacks like “‘IRS’ = racist” always gave me the feeling that he was grasping for something to say in a way the others typically don’t have to. Ed Schultz could do an hour cold on the glory of unions, Chris Hayes could blather on without a teleprompter ad nauseam about income inequality, and Chris Matthews could riff for the better part of an evening about what sort of colognes he thinks Obama likes to wear. I never got that impression with Bashir, though. He was there to smear the right and reassure the audience of its moral superiority, with a little horse-race coverage mixed in. If he occasionally went too far, it was only because he was trying too hard do the job they hired him to do.

Oh well. People are tweeting that Bashir’s loss will probably be Michael Eric Dyson’s gain. That would make sense — he specializes in smearing the right too, most frequently on Bashir’s own show — but don’t count out young Ronan Farrow. They’ve been looking for a spot for him and, let’s face it, he’d fit right in. Exit question from former MSNBCer David Shuster:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

BabyGrace on December 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

She cancelled an interview with Matt Lauer and called on NBC to take action like they had with Baldwin.

mankai on December 4, 2013 at 5:11 PM

He’s a nasty little hobbiteses!

Deafdog on December 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM

A poster made a point on Gateway Pundit:

This is another “passive-voice” non-apology. No “I am sorry for what I said.” He “deeply regrets WHAT WAS SAID.”

It’s like saying “the drugs were given to me by X.” Not “I took them,” or even “X gave me the drugs.”

Complete lack of responsibility. Typical modern journalism.

Ozwitch on December 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Very happy to hear that the double standard of “hate’s OK if you’re hatin the right; flail away” is finally getting addressed. It’s so commonplace that many liberals I know act shocked when I just repeat what they said back to them in slightly different words.

Lots of really good examples in this video. They literally don’t even listen to themselves, just regurgitating bumper stickers so they can feel good about themselves.

inviolet on December 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

What about the MSNBC people who tweeted out that everyone should watch the clip, to the effect of “watch Bashir school Palin about slavery”?

m2 on December 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Confirmed: Martin Bashir too nasty even for MSNBC

Uh, no – this is not CONFIRMED.

MSNBC did not fire Bashir (which they should have done immediately), nor did the network ever mention Bashir’s attack or issue any statement denouncing it. The fact is that MSNBC fully supported Bashir’s attack on Sarah Palin at the time, and they still do. Bashir’s “resignation” does not let MSNBC off the hook.

Pork-Chop on December 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

In a barrel full of rotten apples, he really was the worst.
– Allahpundit

Oh, come on.
The worst?
I love when cons get suddenly sensitive over people saying bad things.
And that’s all Bashir did here, albeit metaphorically (which you want us all to know is ‘sh*tting in people’s mouths’ – your words, not his.)
So save me the ‘outrage’.
You should go back and re-read some of your Rush/Fluke posts.

verbaluce on December 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I’m thinking Bashir is not going to be another pickup for FOX, maybe Al Jazeera — he does have the complexion.

KenInIL on December 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

he does have the complexion.

KenInIL on December 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Thanks for sharing.
You’ve got a bit of a complexion yourself.

verbaluce on December 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

mankai on December 4, 2013 at 5:11 PM

And?

You mean, retaliation is “playing the victim” in your world?

I guess she was supposed to lay down and think about England or something. Like all victims do.

BabyGrace on December 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

verbaluce on December 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Your Kleenex is all full.

portlandon on December 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Frankly, MSNBC has been the running laughingstock of TV news for years.

Perhaps (perhaps!!!!) they are trying to insert credibility into their brand.

I know. It’s hysterical.

thejackal on December 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

BabyGrace on December 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

You argued that she did nothing, and that she just noted that it was typical of the Left. No she didn’t. She refused to go on the Today Show which has nothing to do with Bashir.

My advice would have been to shrug her shoulders like Bashir is typical of the Left, go on with Lauer, and let others do your grumbling. By standing up Lauer and complaining that Bashir got better treatment than Baldwin, I believe she missed a great opportunity.

I think since the moment she stepped onto the national stage she’s been getting bad advice.

mankai on December 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

None have been successful since going after Palin.

You forgot Keith Olberman and Matt Damon.

myiq2xu on December 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM

She seems to be doing pretty well financially.

myiq2xu on December 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Bashir seen heading to Tahrir Square wearing blonde wig, apparently looking for some action.

BobMbx on December 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Give MSNBC another year and it will disappear. HSN (Home Shopping Channel) gets more viewers.

GarandFan on December 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

verbaluce on December 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Your Kleenex is all full.

portlandon on December 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Allah used ‘em all up.
This Bashir guy is just soooooo bad, you know?

verbaluce on December 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

But be fair: Based on MSNBC’s track record, the odds were with him, no?

In a barrel full of rotten apples, he really was the worst.
– Allahpundit

Oh, come on.
The worst?

verbaluce on December 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

So who on MSNBC do you consider worse?

rogerb on December 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

mankai on December 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

What opportunity did she miss? She’ll probably do the Lauer interview now.

So far it’s a powerplay she won.

the_nile on December 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

mankai on December 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

How did that Romney thing work out for ya?

*idiot*

idesign on December 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM

mankai on December 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I didn’t pretend she did nothing. I said that when she was interviewed by Wallace, shrugging it off was exactly what she did.

Now she’s free to cancel Matt’s Lauer invitation to her home (!) in Alaska since NBC was, to say the least, still awfully complacent towards their batsh*t commentator.

Doing this is not “playing the victim”, it’s making them know that there is a price to pay when you screw up and then brush it under the carpet, hoping no one will notice.

It’s not exceptional and it’s what normal people do in the real world, and no sane person needs any advice to do that.

I fail to see what ‘great opportunity’ was missed here.

Maybe she’s not as calculating as your average (corrupt) politician and reacts like any normal person would in such a situation.

As for me, it’s exactly what I like in her.

BabyGrace on December 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Leftists are all sick in the head.

Schadenfreude on December 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM

verbaluce on December 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

…open your mouth!…I have to squat…

KOOLAID2 on December 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Go back to Mexico, even if you’re not from there, Marty!

madmonkphotog on December 4, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Haha…finally some justice! Yes. Bravo Sarah for being so classy and accepting the apologies of that disgusting excuse for a human being. And thank you all of those who fought for Sarah. Well done. Finally.

American Dream 246 on December 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I like to think some ‘open-carry’ Palinistas showed up at MSNBC to … persuade them it was for the good of the Progressive Movement.

KirknBurker on December 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Hopefully, he will return to his Pakistani roots and become the Ron Burgundy of Islamabad.

NoPain on December 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

“special network”
LOL!

SondraK on December 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Bashir made the mistake of confessing what every progtard in america believes.

Murphy9 on December 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM

We always throw our opportunities away.

mankai on December 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Palin was one of them. The squish contingent in the GOP is on the same wavelength as Bashir and Maher, just not as crude.

ddrintn on December 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

mankai on December 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Yeah, we heard the same thing after Tucson.

ddrintn on December 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Oh, come on.
The worst?

verbaluce on December 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Well, there’s an opening now at Moonbat TV.
You would peg the meter, verbaldouche.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Hooray, Bashir is gone but this doesn’t excuse MSNBC.

Notice they avoided “firing” this scummy Bashir. Let him walk out the back door. But the network, remember this, HIRED him in the first place, and allowed his crud/cr*p to continue as long as it has.

MSNBC took the coward’s path by not firing the creep, Bashir, and by hiring him in the first place.

I blame Bashir for being a disgusting creep and ALSO MSNBC for being a disgusting creepy organization.

Lourdes on December 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Well, there’s an opening now at Moonbat TV.
You would peg the meter, verbaldouche.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

“But…but…Rush called Fluke a slut!!!!” That’s the worst they can come up with, and that doesn’t even make it in tu quoque territory.

ddrintn on December 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM

But be fair: Based on MSNBC’s track record, the odds were with him, no?

In a barrel full of rotten apples, he really was the worst.
– Allahpundit

Oh, come on.
The worst?

verbaluce on December 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I’d describe Bashir as ONE of the worst. There are many rotten apples on the Rotten Apple Network called MSNBC.

THE ISSUE is that that’s not accidental. Who the heck is hiring such rotten apples? And why?

MSNBC is culpable as rotten as Bashir. Rotten, the whole lot.

Lourdes on December 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Begone, vile creature.

David Blue on December 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM

He’ll get hired by Al Jazeera.

Decoski on December 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Still trying to figure out why he had to leave. Insulting Palin is a team sport on liberal tv.

Maybe it was the delivery. He feceed his own image

His only hope is to call Sharpton and get some Tawana Brawley lessons

entagor on December 5, 2013 at 12:07 AM

BlaxPac on November 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Heh…Nailed it.

But, just to double down I don’t think it would be a stretch to believe he wouldn’t TRY the CurrentTV/Al Jazeer route…and fail miserably.

Not because of any sense of common sense or decency, I just don’t think those networks would be willing to spend that much money on a salary level *he* feels he deserves.

That being said, look for this dip-dunk to come back on-air after the 2014 election cycle, probably as a “Special Correspondent/Analysis” for one of the MSNBC offshoot stations. Maybe a few bylines in the New Media online just to keep his name alive (HuffPost, Media Matters).

OTOH, I can only hope he doesn’t keep a low profile, and ole Todd Palin bumps into him 3 or 4 times…hard.

BlaxPac on December 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM

ddrintn on December 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Yeah and from Krauthammer, no less.

These people…

BabyGrace on December 5, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Confirmed: Martin Bashir too nasty even for MSNBC

Well put.

You know you are industrial strength vile when you embarrass MSNBC.

petefrt on December 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Martin who? Never watch that network.

Galtian on December 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM

So who on MSNBC do you consider worse?

rogerb on December 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

No one. Lil verbo thinks all of the talking heads on msnbc are just wo-o-onderful.
That’s where verbo get all of his news propaganda.

Solaratov on December 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Nasty Basheer is most likely already in talks with AlGorzeera.
I wish we could deport him.

maryo on December 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM

What WAS said… nice responsibility-dodging passive voice there, pal.
You want to clean up your act? You’ll have to do more than wash your mouth out with soap. “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” (Matthew 12:34, NIV) A rotten heart will always lead to a rotten mouth.

Marcola on December 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM

my ill-judged comments

ill-judged comments are what MSNBC trades in, so I agree with Ed, that he was only doing what he thought the network wanted.

virgo on December 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM