The Democrats’ #Fail on the NRCC “Happy Holidays” shirt

posted at 8:41 am on December 3, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Last week we told you about the NRCC online store offering some shopping opportunities for conservatives this holiday season. (Including a special discount for Hot Air readers.) It all seemed like good fun, but of course there were some Left side spoil sports who had to try to find a way to rain on everyone’s parade. One of the offerings was a shirt which said “Happy Holidays is what liberals say” on the front and “Merry Christmas” on the back. By the time the weekend was over, liberals were checking in on the site and discovered to their great delight that the shirt was no longer listed among the gifts to purchase. Of course, they could draw only one conclusion.

NRCC’s “Happy Holidays Is What Liberals Say” Shirt Removed From Website

In a tweet last week, the NRCC promoted the t-shirt, which reads “Happy Holidays is What Liberals Say” in a Comic Sans font on the front and “Merry Christmas!” on the back, for Black Friday.

As of Monday, the shirt looks to have been removed from the NRCC website. The online store is still selling a t-shirt milder version that says “Not Afraid to Say ‘Merry Christmas.’”

As many noted on Twitter when the NRCC tweeted out the shirt, liberals are not the only people who say “Happy Holidays,” but many Jews as well. Monday will be the sixth night of Hanukkah this year.

‘Happy Holidays Is What Liberals Say’ T-Shirt Removed from NRCC Online Store

On Black Friday, the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) was promoting a t-shirt in its online store that read “Happy Holidays is what liberals say” on the front and “Merry Christmas” on the back. Four days later, the item appears to have vanished.

Pulled! Disappeared! Vanished!

There’s only one problem with these liberal celebrations. The shirt wasn’t pulled because it was a bad idea… it was no longer showing up on the site because it had sold out. But it will be back as soon as they can restock. And in the meantime, the NRCC has expressed their appreciation for all of the support with a new offer, explained in this e-mail.

Want to really annoy a liberal? Say “Merry Christmas.”

On Friday, we unveiled a new Christmas t-shirt at our NRCC Store – “Happy Holidays is What Liberals Say.”

You loved the shirt so much, it sold out!

But Liberals all across the internet flipped out and said we were being politically incorrect.

We’re working to get more shirts and products up ASAP. In the meantime we’ve got a “Happy Holidays is What Liberals Say” MUG for you.

Get yours with **free** shipping while supplies last.

While Democrats are doubling-down, the DCCC is saying the shirt is derogatory to other holidays and religious beliefs. Seriously?

Liberals just don’t get it. We don’t celebrate Christmas to offend people. Saying “Merry Christmas” isn’t an attack on any religion or belief.

Had enough?! Same here.

Get your mug here: www.nrcc.org/store/merry-christmas-mug/

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Just don’t tell Nancy Pelosi we said so.

NRCC HQ

Nice try, Democrats. Sadly, this one was a swing and a miss.

Comments

What does being “derogatory to other holidays” even mean?

Flange on December 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM

To All My Democrat Friends:
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2012, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishes.

To My Republican Friends:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

crowhop on December 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

The Left has never ever figured out the arcane science of Capitalism.

coldwarrior on December 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

You already got me once, Jazz. Do you get a commission, lol?

I’m still waiting for my red elephant ornament bought with the Hot Air discount which, unfortunately, will put me back on the annoying NRCC donation call list.

BTW, I say Happy Holidays when I am referring to Thanksgiving through New Year’s, including Christmas. Happy Holidays doesn’t bother me, Holiday Tree does.

Fallon on December 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I don’t have a problem with people saying Happy Holidays to me. There are several different Holy Days in December, and some overlap as to which are observed by different religions. I’d prefer Merry Christmas, but if you say Happy Holidays to me, I’m not going to be upset about it.

However, “Season’s Greetings” is the one that gets me. I don’t even know what that means. Is the season greeting me? Am I supposed to greet the season? Are you giving me greetings on behalf of the season? Why aren’t you giving me greetings on behalf of yourself? Is it “Greetings of the Season”? If so, what the heck does THAT mean? The whole phrase is just ludicrous if you think about it.

Chris of Rights on December 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM

So Holidays can now be “offended”??

Well now, that’s a nice helping of Extra Special Stupid
today…..maybe LostmyMother in a Dumpster Fire can
sort this out for us….

ToddPA on December 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM

And yet at the state capitol in Madison, liberals have put up a sign every year that includes:

“There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.”

I have never heard of a Dem criticizing that sign, so kindly stuff it.

PackerBronco on December 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I have several friends who are Jewish. They are all fine people, like many of my friends. They unfailingly say “Merry Christmas” to me, and I unfailingly wish them a Happy Hannukah, and then we tease each other about the spelling (H vs Ch, Christ vs X, etc.)

People who aren’t hung up on being offended have no problem with other peoples customs and celebrations. The trick is to avoid having friends who are tools.

Bigurn on December 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Lefties are always under the impression that goods and services just “are”, that they don’t need to be produced, delivered, shipped, and displayed as the case may be.

Like the old saw goes: “Liberal mommy, where does food come from?” “It comes from the grocery store, junior.”

Bishop on December 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

…liberals are not the only people who say “Happy Holidays,” but many Jews as well.

Isn’t that an oxymoron? I know of few Jews in this country who are conservative. The only time they don’t vote Democrat is when Israel is being dissed by that party.

I sure wish those stores that refuse to say Merry Christmas had to depend on all of their “holiday” profits from Kwansaa, Hanukkah, Eid, Ramadan, or whatever winter solstice group they can find.

iamsaved on December 3, 2013 at 9:07 AM

crowhop on December 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

On behalf of the global south (family lore says I’m 1/64 Australian), I am deeply offended at your northo-normative holiday greeting. I demand that you apologize for your geographic imperialism and henceforth issue greetings for the “hemisphere-neutral solstice holiday”.

sadarj on December 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

What does being “derogatory to other holidays” even mean?

Flange on December 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Well, here in Northern Virginia, those tolerant atheists decided to put up a display on the courthouse lawn in the spirit of the season. They put up a crucified Santa. I count two holidays, a secular figure, and a whole lot of intolerance in that.

That was two years ago and it essentially ruined the seasonal displays for all groups.

Happy Nomad on December 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I’ll give to individual candidates,but until the Republican Party purges itself of their progressives (hint move to the Democratic Party and fight with the out and out marxists) I’m not giving one dime to the Rockefeller Republicans.

rbj on December 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

sadarj on December 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Well then you are more Australian than Elizabeth Warren is Native American.

Speaking of neutral greetings, local talk radio had a discussion this morning about gender neutral pronouns for those who do not identify themselves as male or female. It, for obvious reasons, isn’t an option (though it should be). The gender queer movement, a real thing, is suggesting the use of “ze” to go along with he and she.

Happy Nomad on December 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

hemisphere-neutral solstice holiday celebration

FIFM. I wouldn’t want to offend anyone by suggesting the existence of holiness.

sadarj on December 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Happy Nomad on December 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Actually, I’m pretty sure I’m exactly as Australian as Elizabeth Warren is Native American.

sadarj on December 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM

And I say to the Republican establishment: put your money where your mouth is.

Fenris on December 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Baloney. My Jewish friends greet me and my wife with “Merry Christmas” just I wish them Happy Hanukkah, and we invite each other to our Christmas parties or dinners and they invite us to their Hanukkah dinner where we actively participate in their traditions at the table. It’s always a pleasant experience and I learn something new each time. At our Christmas dinner, we share stories that tell of thing that have happened over the year for which we are thankful and we give a prayer that one day the lambs and the lions can live in peace together.

The vast majority of Muslims I know don’t say anything at Christmas. On the other hand, I wish them well on their holy days.

Atheists are the worst with their holier than thou arrogance of intellectual superiority that their faith that there is no God trumps my faith that there is. There is a lot more evidence that God exist than that he doesn’t.

Happy Holidays is just one of thousands of attacks, both small and large, on Christianity. Why? Because our government and media not only allow it, but they are the primary adversaries. They are the keepers of the arrogance of intellectual superiority because the little people can’t think for themselves.

Christmas is a Christian holiday and if you are not Christian or you suffer a gag reflex trying to say Merry Christmas, then don’t participate. If you do, you are simply being hypocritical. Go celebrate whatever you want, and I promise not to wish you anything as well.

BMF on December 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I’m more agnostic than anything but nothing makes me happier around Christmas than to have someone at a store wish me Merry Christmas after I check out, especially if they’re wearing a big smile.

Lefties exist to be scorned which is why they’re always so dour.

Bishop on December 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I used to think it was quite amusing when my Rabbi corrected a member of the congregation who said she planned to go to a Chinese Restaurant for Christmas. He told her that around here we call that the 25 of December. I still think that was funny, but what I am trying to get at is that I used to be one of those Merry Christmasphobes, but now that I realize I can annoy leftists by saying it, I think I am just going to say it to everyone, including my Rabbi. [For those regular readers of these comment sections, would you expect anything less from me?’

thuja on December 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

The trick is to avoid having friends who are tools.
Bigurn on December 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Truer words have never been said

Renee on December 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Nice try, Democrats. Sadly, this one was a swing and a miss.

Nah….this is more like “froze them with a fast ball down the middle”

BobMbx on December 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

this is more like “froze them with a fast ball down the middle”

BobMbx on December 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Or as Ernie Harwell use to say, “He stood there like a house by the side of the road and watch that one go by.”

Flange on December 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I don’t say “Happy Holidays”. I prefer “Have a Jerry Christmas! And a Happy New Weir…”

JohnGalt23 on December 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Libs: Meh. Any decent website would have a “queuing” functionality, so you could wait until the product was restocked!

socalcon on December 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You’ll have to pardon the liberals. What with the ObamaCare website; their not used to a web portal being updated regularly when product availability changes.

GarandFan on December 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM

To All My Democrat Friends:

To My Republican Friends:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

crowhop on December 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Absolutely. Love. This.

the_moll on December 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

To my Republican Friends: Merry Christmas!

To my Democrat Friends: Congratulations on surviving two days after the Obamacare deadline!

Steve Z on December 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I’m a “Happy Holidays” person and I’ve found that it’s the “Merry Christmas” people who obnoxiously make an issue out of this, not the “Happy Holidays” people. I’ve yet to hear a “Happy Holidays” person criticize someone for saying “Merry Christmas,” but I have heard “Merry Christmas” people scold or “correct” someone for saying “Happy Holidays.”

The “war on Christmas” is about as real as the “war on women” is. Which is to say…not real.

bmmg39 on December 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Smarter than you!!!!11111!!!!elevinty

jukin3 on December 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I’m not sure why they are offended? Conservatives don’t make being “politically correct” a priority. Why in the world wouldn’t you wish someone a Merry Christmas during the Christmas season?

lea on December 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Let us not forget the leadership role that the GOP’s “not quite ready” Sarah Palin played.

Why is it that she’s always ahead of the hapless, helpless, hopeless, GOP on all the issues?

Don L on December 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM

What fascinates me is that the Godless left bothers to make this an war, when the so-called right had already long ago desecrated the true meaning of Christmas with their orgies of materialism–and secularism–Charlie Brown’s Christmas notwithstanding.

Don L on December 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

These liberals are bat sh1t crazy! I am a Jew, have been all my life. I’m celebrating Hannukah this year, just like every one of the past 62 years. I was raised in an Orthodox home. For my whole life I have witnessed the miracle of Hannukah AND the miracle of Christmas. Being an AMERICAN I freely say Merry Christmas to all of my friends, associates, and strangers.

Wishing someone a Merry Christmas implies a belief that people are good, the Lord is benevolent, Peace and Happiness are our objectives, and we want other people to be comfortable in these beliefs. In America, the concepts that these words convey transcend any particular religion, even pertaining to those who are non-religious. Perhaps the concepts of Good, Benevolence, Peace and Happiness are contrary to the liberal ideaology.

NOMOBO on December 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

The shirt wasn’t pulled because it was a bad idea

It was, however, not a good idea. Being tacky was just not the reason it was pulled.

MJBrutus on December 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM

What does being “derogatory to other holidays” even mean?

Flange on December 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Newsflash: Christmas is an official city, county, state and federal holiday. Get over it libtards.

Nutstuyu on December 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM

bmmg39 on December 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Maybe because “Happy Holidays” people are obsessed with its use during Christmas season, but not during any other multi-holiday periods. Ever hear someone say “happy holidays” to cover MLK Day and Presidents Day?

Nutstuyu on December 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Nutstuyu on December 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Of course you know this means WAR!

MJBrutus on December 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I’m more agnostic than anything…

Bishop on December 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Does your Pope know?

Nutstuyu on December 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Happy Nomad on December 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

When they give the word, “Gay” back I’ll give an aerial reverse intercourse what they want to be called. Until then, not so much.

Mitoch55 on December 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM

The shirt wasn’t pulled because it was a bad idea

MJBrutus on December 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM

It was, however, a good capitalist idea. Hence being sold out.

Mitoch55 on December 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Mitoch55 on December 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Very good point :-)

MJBrutus on December 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM

How can this be? Everyone knows websites don’t work.

MirCat on December 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I’ll be sporting my ‘Happy Festivus’ t-shirt. Unfortunately, no one under twenty-five will have a clue what it means, which makes it really confusing to them when I begin airing my ‘List of Grievances’.

CaptFlood on December 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM