Video: American detainee in North Korea “apologizes” for “war crimes”

posted at 4:31 pm on November 30, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

I use the scare quotes in the headlines for a good reason.  Merrill Newman, an 85-year-old Korean War veteran, flew a month ago to North Korea to visit some of the scenes of his service — and was unexpectedly arrested by authorities after he boarded his flight to leave.  For three weeks, no one heard from Newman or Pyongyang about his case, but yesterday Newman appeared on North Korean television reading an “apology” for his supposed “war crimes,” which Pyongyang says includes the deliberate murder of civilians and espionage:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

The New York Daily News has more today:

In the patchy video, Newman appears composed and is shown reading aloud from a handwritten statement dated Nov 9, 2013 in a wood-paneled meeting room. At the end, he bows and places a finger print on the document.

“I realize that I cannot be forgiven for my offensives (offenses) but I beg for pardon on my knees by apologizing for my offensives (offenses) sincerely toward the DPRK government and the Korean people and I want not punish me (I wish not to be punished),” Newman, who has a heart rhythm disorder, was quoted as saying by KCNA.

The apology for his “indelible crimes” was actually made on November 9th, which raises the question of what has happened to him since. NBC’s Eunice Yoon suggests that the apology might make it easier for the North Koreans to release him, but that still raises the question of why they arrested him in the first place. Other American veterans have gone to North Korea without incident. State-run KCNA claims that Newman worked with the partisans rather than regular forces, which might be one reason, but that was still 60 years ago — even if it is true:

Newman belonged to the 8240th Unit, nicknamed the ‘White Tigers’, said guerrillas who were trained by him.

“We co-operated and helped with each other and fought,” Kim Hyeon who lives south of Seoul said in an interview with Reuters. Hyeon remained in touch with Newman after the war and visited him with his family in 2004.

“In the past we couldn’t even speak up (about our activities,)” said Kim, who served as a staff officer of the Kuwol Regiment of partisans, referring to the clandestine operations it conducted under Newman’s supervision.

So why go back? My father was a soldier in the Korean War and is fortunately hale and healthy at 81. Based on our few conversations about his experiences in the war, I doubt seriously that he’d find a trip back to the Korean peninsula a romantic adventure in any sense of the word. Given the levels of hostility between Pyongyang and Washington, the risk hardly seems worth the nostalgic value of the trip, even if others have made it without incident.

Still, this “apology” may work with propaganda-fed North Koreans, but it’s going to make Americans angry and put pressure on the Obama administration to get Newman out of the DPRK. Maybe it will convince other nostalgic veterans to stay below the 38th Parallel from now on, too.

Comments

The White House accepts his apology.

Skywise on November 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I guess nothing those crazy fascists do In NK should come as a surprise.

WitchDoctor on November 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Teh SCOAMT will probably give Krazy Kim III missile technology.

Steve Eggleston on November 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Yeah, Obama will give them more money/food now.

Get that man out and bomb the living shit out of that half inch fat bastard. Kill him hard.

RovesChins on November 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Teh SCOAMT will probably give Krazy Kim III missile technology.

Steve Eggleston on November 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Bubba beat him to it in the mid-90s already.

Der Schlieckmeister went around State and used Commerce Dept. to get it done.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on November 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

30m
North Korea allows Swedish embassy officials in Pyongyang access to US citizen Merrill Newman, US State Department says – @Reuters
end of bulletin
===============

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

American Kenneth Bae detained in North Korea
1h
===
More: White House says it also continues to urge North Korean authorities to give amnesty to Kenneth Bae and release him immediately – @Reuters

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM

1h
=====
White House National Security Council spokeswoman: ‘Given Mr. Newman’s advanced age and health conditions, we urge the DPRK to release Mr. Newman so he may return home and reunite with his family’ – @NBCNews
end of bulletin

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I certainly hope that all is well with Mr. Newman but I really don’t have that much sympathy for these Americans who go touristing in unsafe parts of the world be it hiking into Iran or deciding to fly to North Korea! At best these people muddle diplomacy.

Happy Nomad on November 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Not so curious choice of wording…

Skywise on November 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The Associated Press ‏@AP 45m

U.S. urges N. Korea to release 85-year-old American who’s been detained for more than a month: http://apne.ws/1j571sM -RJJ
===============================================

US urging North Korea to release detained American
Nov. 30, 2013 4:03 PM EST
*************************

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

MeanWhile,…………………………..

The Associated Press ‏@AP 2h

AP VIDEO: Aspiring U.S. rappers say they filmed music video during 5-day visit to North Korea: http://apne.ws/1eBaGLp -KM
=================================================

Published on Nov 30, 2013

Two U.S. rappers say they’ve filmed part of a music video in North Korea, hoping the novel locale will make a hit. Pacman and Peso did not say where and how they filmed the footage. They hope to release the video next month. (Nov. 30)

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Bubba beat him to it in the mid-90s already.

Der Schlieckmeister went around State and used Commerce Dept. to get it done.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on November 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

No, Bubba went around the laws governing our relations with North Korea. The distinction matters because Maddie Notsobright is one of those liberals who think that the more nuclear nations the less likely any nation would actually use them.

Happy Nomad on November 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM

So, now we have two US Hostages on Hopeys watch.

Interesting to note, that hostages seem to always
fall on a Democrat Presidents Watch??!!

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM

…JugEars people probably told the midget’s people…he was on the plane!

KOOLAID2 on November 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM

He didn’t happen to send a message in Morse-code, using eye blinks, did he?

listens2glenn on November 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Not so curious choice of wording…

Skywise on November 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Skywise:Agreed, and heres an image of Mr. Bae:)
===============================================

North Korea parades its American prisoner in chilling ‘confession’ video: Vet ‘apologizes’ for allegedly killing civilians 60 years ago

PUBLISHED: 06:05 GMT, 30 November 2013
UPDATED: 14:18 GMT, 30 November 2013
*************************************

Jailed: Kenneth Bae, a 45-year-old tour operator and Christian missionary, was arrested last November while leading a group of tourists in the northeastern region of Rason in North Korea and has been detained for the past year

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 5:07 PM

If anyone is counting on the toad in the White House or traitor john kerry, don’t hold your breath. They are probably working with holder to figure out how they can put him on trial once he does get out of north korea. Too bad that we didn’t deal with them when we had the chance.

crosshugger on November 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Happy Nomad on November 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

So, no happy nomading. I gave to say I agree with you. Enter at your own risk.
You don’t see dogs crossing the border into NK, China, or the White House of their own free will.

RovesChins on November 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM

State Department
================

Jen Psaki
Spokesperson
Daily Press Briefing
Washington, DC
November 22, 2013
*****************

DPRK

Reports of Detention of U.S. Citizen / Privacy Act Waiver

TRANSCRIPT:

1:29 p.m. EST
*************

Should we move on to a new topic? Or Jill, go ahead.

QUESTION: North Korea?

MS. PSAKI: North Korea? Okay, yes.

QUESTION: Just a quick question: Is there any indication –

MS. PSAKI: (Off-mike.)

QUESTION: — I know you can’t say that much, but is there any indication about the identity of Mr. Newman, that there might be another Mr. Newman?

MS. PSAKI: I don’t have any speculation on that. I know what we have all seen, comments of his family members. I do have a couple of updates. I still can’t say very much, given the Privacy Act waiver issue, so I don’t have an update on the specific reports of the recent detention of a U.S. citizen.

But for everybody’s knowledge, without a written waiver of a U.S. citizen’s privacy, we cannot comment or confirm details of specific cases involving U.S. citizens. That’s the policy. I can confirm that our Swedish protecting power has been informed by North Korea of the detention of a U.S. citizen. We are working in close coordination with representatives of the Embassy of Sweden to resolve this issue, and they also have requested, actually on a daily basis, consular access.

QUESTION: Thank you.

QUESTION: Is there any concern about this particular citizen’s health issues, given the many reports about his advanced age, for example?

MS. PSAKI: Well, given I can’t confirm the identity of a detained individual, it’s hard for me to speculate on other specific details from the podium.

QUESTION: But would that go to the Swedish Embassy’s request for daily visits, because I don’t – I’m not aware that that’s been the case of others.

MS. PSAKI: It’s not daily visits – they’ve requested on a daily basis. And obviously, they haven’t been granted that access.

QUESTION: Jen, does Ambassador Robert King have any reschedule to visit North Korea?

MS. PSAKI: No, and he is in Washington. I can’t confirm he’s physically at his desk, but I know he’s in the building today.

QUESTION: Did North Korea recently they invite him again? Because they canceled the previous, his trip.

MS. PSAKI: I’m not aware of any other invitation. I don’t have any other updates on his plans.

QUESTION: All right. Thank you.

QUESTION: Has the Swedish Embassy – sorry, excuse me – has the Swedish Embassy been given any reason why they’re not being granted access? I.e., have the North Korean authorities told them why they’re not getting access?

MS. PSAKI: I don’t have that level of detail – not that I’m aware of. I’m happy to check if there’s more specifics we can share on that front.

QUESTION: May I change topics?

MS. PSAKI: Sure. Any – or do you – one more on North Korea?

QUESTION: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just a quick one. Can you tell us when the Swedes were given that information by North Korea?

MS. PSAKI: I don’t have the specific date. I’m happy to check if that’s information we can provide.

QUESTION: And just one more on North Korea. Have they given any reason why he’s being held? Have they told the Swedes anything?

MS. PSAKI: I think that’s just what was asked. I don’t have – by Jo – I don’t have any update on that. I will check if there’s anything we can provide on that front.

QUESTION: Have they been given any details about when this citizen was taken into North Korean custody? Anything about –

MS. PSAKI: I know there have been lots of reports on that. I don’t have any specific details, and I don’t think that’s something we would be able to share publicly anyway.

=====================================================

Daily Press Briefing – November 22, 2013

Nov. 22, 2013: U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing by Spokesperson Jen Psaki in Washington, DC.

VIDEO:(45:22)
==============

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Sorry but this guy is a dumba$$
Wanting to see the country you fought against during the Korean conflict so you spend some money to book a tour OK
Getting into a animated discussion with the tour guide about the facts of the war in a country that is still at war with the South and the US is just plain crazy, no fool like an old fool I guess. Good excuse for the Administration to give lil Kim whatever he wants for a pocket full of promises

notalemon on November 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Merrill E. Newman’s E-Mail:

KCNA handout shows a document that reads as an email sent by U.S. citizen Merrill E. Newman, who has been detained in North Korea

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Happy Nomad on November 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I agree. The first thing I thought was, “what a moron.”

bluegill on November 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM

As Ray Stevens said, “don’t go hiking in North Korea. That’s a great example of a bad idea.”

bluegill on November 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM

So why go back?
===============

Don’t know,..I think his e-mail sheds a wee bit of light, on that so
to speak!

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Bonehead move on his part – did he miss the little detail in his facts about the war coming to a standstill?

Next time, go to Epcot.

Wander on November 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Sorry but this guy is a dumba$$

notalemon on November 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

He needed to remember that not all countries in the world allow you to speak freely, have your own opinion.
The US is truly exceptional, though stupid liberals take it to the next level by crapping on police cars.

RovesChins on November 30, 2013 at 5:40 PM

U.S. calls on North Korea to release war veteran

By Lesley Wroughton and Jack Kim
WASHINGTON/SEOUL Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:06pm EST
********************************************

“On November 30, the DPRK permitted the Embassy of Sweden, protecting power for issues involving U.S. citizens in North Korea, consular access to U.S. citizen Merrill Newman,” a State Department official said in a statement.

“Given Mr. Newman’s advanced age and health conditions, we urge the DPRK to release Mr. Newman so he may return home and reunite with his family,” the official added, using the acronym for the North’s formal name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

The White House also urged Newman’s release in a brief statement.

Earlier on Saturday, North Korea showcased Newman as a criminal, showing a video of him making a full confession and apology as if the battles of the Korean War were still raging.

The state KCNA news agency said Newman was a mastermind of clandestine operations and had confessed to being “guilty of a long list of indelible crimes against DPRK government and Korean people.”
(More….)
===========

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Ahem,..as if a warning is necessary:

North Korea releases video of elderly U.S. tourist apologizing for ‘indelible crimes’
Saturday, November 30, 2:02 AM
******************************

Shortly after Newman’s detention, the State Department recommended that U.S citizens refrain from visiting the North.

============================

Travel Warning
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Bureau of Consular Affairs

Korea, Democratic People’s Republic of
November 19, 2013
*****************

canopfor on November 30, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Bubba beat him to it in the mid-90s already.

Der Schlieckmeister went around State and used Commerce Dept. to get it done.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on November 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

That was the ChiComs S(l)ick Willie gave the missile tech to.

Steve Eggleston on November 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Lets do a Thanksgiving 2oofer…..

we give ‘em Barry and Michelle for this guy….. if they refuse…. then throw in John Mccain

roflmmfao

donabernathy on November 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM

So, no happy nomading. I have to say I agree with you. Enter at your own risk.

RovesChins on November 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I see what you did there, LOL!

I agree. The first thing I thought was, “what a moron.”

bluegill on November 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Indeed.

It’s called situational awareness. If you’re white, you don’t walk down a street in South Chicago at two in the morning. If you’re going hiking- take a map and don’t do it adjacent to war zones. If you want to spread the good news of Christ, don’t go to a despotic country that shoots people for even owning the Bible and expect you that you can openly evangelize. And there is absolutely no reason why any American should be in certain places in the world- North Korea being at the top of the list.

Happy Nomad on November 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Lets do a Thanksgiving 2oofer…..

donabernathy on November 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Talk about poison pills. The lazy shiftless coward and McCain, okay. But there is no way that we get rid of that vile hulking monster so easily.

Happy Nomad on November 30, 2013 at 6:20 PM

1. I wonder if Mr. Bae managed to get the odd phrase “indelible crimes” into the statement as a ‘tell’ that he doesn’t agree with what he’s reading.

2. If he was black there would be a lot more action, and Jesse Jackson would be on a plane.

Meremortal on November 30, 2013 at 6:22 PM

“And there is absolutely no reason why any American should be in certain places in the world- North Korea being at the top of the list.”

Yes, as a no-go zone I’d put right after Detroit.

Meremortal on November 30, 2013 at 6:23 PM

When in NK – if a person is nuts enough to think it’s a great vacation spot – it’s a good idea to not get into political arguments with the minder-guides, police or any state employee. Not only are you likely to get into hot water, but if they don’t respond in the right way they and their families could get sent off to a camp.

whatcat on November 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Still, this “apology” may work with propaganda-fed North Koreans

And no doubt it will also work with propaganda-fed North Americans. It will be interesting to see how many Leftist websites come out with pieces praising this poor fool for apologizing for something that took place 60+ years ago.

Del Dolemonte on November 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM

whatcat on November 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM

All I can say is that when my parents traveled to China, the government knew where they were the whole time (the guide admitted to having phone in every morning). I’m guessing North Korea is equally strident in keeping tabs on foreigners. Frankly, any Korean War vet would be nuts to admit that they had visited the country before.

Happy Nomad on November 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM

He shouldn’t have been there. That said, we should be getting him out. Teddy Roosevelt wouldn’t have stood for this.

morganfrost on November 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM

As much as I realize that Mr. Newman’s detainment and “confession” are nothing but propaganda moves by the paranoid North Korean regime. I still have to question the wisdom of anyone who goes to lawless countries like DPRK or Iran, where without warning you can be taken hostage by the regime just because it suites their propaganda purposes.

You really need to know what you are getting in to BEFORE you embark to a foreign country, especially one that is hostile to the USA. I put most of the Muslim world in that category with a few notable exceptions that actually have a rule of law, rather than rule of personality or rule of mob. I’d add countries like Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, and Cuba to that list. These are all run by communists or communist wannabes who will do whatever it takes to remain in power. If taking American’s prisoner, hostage, detainee, or whatever they want to call it, advances their cause and protects their regime, then so be it.

simkeith on November 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Happy Nomad on November 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Yup, westerners are the most closely watched – Americans especially so. Check out a few minutes from this documentary on Youtube.

whatcat on November 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM

What’s wrong with just watching Korean movies on Netflix? A lot less trouble.

arnold ziffel on November 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Bastages.

avagreen on November 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM

For starters, we should sink the Pueblo tonight. I mean, it’s ours.

Akzed on November 30, 2013 at 8:07 PM

To attack one American is to attack the nation entire.

But I suggest this compromise. We move forthwith across the 38th, and remove the North Korean dictatorship from the face of the earth. There is in fact a lawful government already functioning south of the 38th.

It is time.

Scribbler on November 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Merrill Newman told North Korean News Agency Reports that he hoped to be released very soon since he has a hiking trip along the Iran-Afghan border planned to begin on Dec. 7th.

Wallythedog on November 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I respect his service, but anyone who visits that shithole of a Communist country and gives that dictator more money deserves what they get. Don’t waste our tax dollars on a saving this guy. Negative choices render negative consequences. Have fun in your labor camp!

TeaParty on December 1, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Scribbler on November 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Some people don’t want to be free. My generation’s example of this Iraq and Afghanistan.

Iraq wanted us out, now want us back, and I dearly hope we don’t, because they want us to do the work necessary to make THEM free. But they will never understand freedom, until they earn it on their own. Afghanistan is sabotaging what is for them a great deal, I wish we would have never offered. Arm the women of Afghanistan, teach them how to defend themselves, and then let’s see how popular Sharia Law is.

Freedom means willing to die to be free. Some people would rather live as slaves. You can’t help them. They must help themselves.

Nothing will change in NK, until it happens within. When they decide they have had enough, then we can toss them some help. Without that, we are fighting the entire country.

Hog Wild on December 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Brought you courtesy of Barack Weak Horse Obama.

profitsbeard on December 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM

The take away from all of this is: if for are a Korean War vet, DO NOT visit North Korea. I wouldn’t be surprised if they look through passenger lists and try to figure out if any vets are visiting.

Ward Cleaver on December 1, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Happy Nomad on November 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM

How many decades ago was this?

DarkCurrent on December 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Wait, why did he go there in the first place?

Dunedainn on December 2, 2013 at 1:36 AM

For starters, we should sink the Pueblo tonight. I mean, it’s ours.

Akzed on November 30, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Agreed. We have plenty of Mk48 ADCAP torpedoes that will make the USS Pueblo two pieces and sink her in minutes. To add a certain cultural touch to the project, I recommend that we let a close relative of Capt. Bucher launch the fish.

Missilengr on December 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM