Thanksgiving Day NFL open thread

posted at 11:32 am on November 28, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Happy Thanksgiving and happy Hannukah as well to all our readers! I’m getting off to a late start this morning, but I plan to make up for it in the second half by blitzing the table and passing the turkey.  That sounds a bit like the Pittsburgh Steelers’ season this year, too, and they join in the Thanksgiving Day tradition of the NFL with a game against their division rivals, the Baltimore Ravens.  They have the 8:30 pm (ET) late game on NBC today, long after the tryptophan does its work on the rest of us.  Baltimore plays tough at home, but the Steelers have won three in a row and five of their last seven. Steelers stun the Ravens tonight, 28-23.

The early game comes at 12:30 this morning on Fox, as the Packers meet the Lions in Detroit. Aaron Rodgers is still out, and even though Matt Flynn gave the team a huge lift in the second half of last week’s tie with the Minnesota Vikings, the Lions are not going to be as easy to match up against.  The Pack will give it a good try — expect more fireworks from Flynn — but the Lions will be too much for them. Detroit 31-24 over Green Bay.

The afternoon game (4:30 pm, CBS) pits the Oakland Raiders on the road against the Cowboys.  Oakland has been improving, but so has Dallas, and Oakland is all but useless on the road.  The line has the Cowboys up by 10, but coming off that gritty win in New York last week, I think the Cowboys might do better than that — say, 34-17.

Enjoy the holiday, and let’s hope none of these games are turkeys.

Update: Matt Flynn, not Mike.  Thanks to Steve Eggleston for the correction.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

do i still owe you money for those drinks??

its maybe 5 mins out my door…

going2mars on November 28, 2013 at 3:29 PM

No, your good. All drinks should be free when the Lions blow out the Packers.

Flange on November 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM

canopfor on November 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM

it was mostly made of ice…didnt stand a chance near the sun..

heres what my buds at NASA/JPL have to say about it

going2mars on November 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM

going2mars:Thanks for the Linky,..heres from SpaceWeather:)
===========================================================

COMET ISON, R.I.P.: Evidence is mounting that comet ISON did not survive its brush with the sun earlier today. At 01:45 EST on Nov. 28th, Thanksgiving Day in the USA, the comet was supposed to pass a little more than a million miles above the surface of the sun. As a new movie from SOHO shows, the comet had already disintegrated. Click to set the scene in motion, and pay careful attention to the head of the comet

n the movie, Comet ISON is clearly falling apart as it approaches the sun. Researchers working with the Solar Dynamics Observatory report that they are saw nothing along the track that ISON was expected to follow through the sun’s atmosphere.

An earlier movie from SOHO shows more of the comet’s approach:
(More….)
==========

canopfor on November 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Bmore, Happy Turkey Day

Schadenfreude on November 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Bmore

Schadenfreude on November 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Bmore, Happy Turkey Day

Schadenfreude on November 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody here at HotAir. Or HotGas as we have also been known as.

VegasRick on November 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Mike McCarthy goes nuts.

Ugly on November 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Born in Biloxi, reared in Grand Rapids :)

Ugly on November 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Graduated from Biloxi High. Good Times.

msupertas on November 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM

canopfor on November 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM

i was tracking it all night on this site…
after 4ish am i passed out and …
it was gone when i woke up..

going2mars on November 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Barack Obama
2h
White House says Obama phoned Thanksgiving greetings to 10 military personnel today; 2 each from Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy – @markknoller
read more on twitter.com
========================

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 1h

During the early days of the Clinton presidency, WH used to give reporters an audio feed of Pres Clinton’s holiday calls to military.

canopfor on November 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Cripes. Everyone keeps asking me who my favorite Thanksgiving peckerwood is.

BMore is. Please write it down cause I’m only going to say it once.

BMore. BMore.

SparkPlug on November 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM

this LASCO C2 video is good too

going2mars on November 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM

canopfor on November 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM

i was tracking it all night on this site…
after 4ish am i passed out and …
it was gone when i woke up..

going2mars on November 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM

going2mars:Thats a good link, of tracking the ISS.
I also noticed your late night posty on QOTD,
which re-minded me of Coment Ison:)

canopfor on November 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM

canopfor on November 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM

its good for hundreds of satelite tracking..
check out the military ones in the middle selection..
most tell you what the bird can do…some dont like to say where it is right now..
then there are the ones no one talks about…
i got ‘bits’ on a few birds..so its work for me..

going2mars on November 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Graduated from Biloxi High. Good Times.

msupertas on November 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM

My mom took us kids north after Camille… dad was stationed in Greenland at the time.

I haven’t been back to the Gulf states since I was 13… too long!

Ugly on November 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Lest we forget

Schadenfreude on November 28, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I haven’t been back to the Gulf states since I was 13… too long!

Ugly on November 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Camille was a monster. Was there for Frederick in ’79. Graduated in ’81, on to the Air Force from there. Haven’t been back in a really long time either. Don’t think either of us would recognize the place. It’s been leveled and rebuilt a few times.

msupertas on November 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Schadenfreude on November 28, 2013 at 4:14 PM

happy t-day mr Schad….great read from MM…ty
we should all be thankful for MM…
wasnt it she…that gave us HA..??
its how i got here i know…so thank you MM…!!

going2mars on November 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM

its so quiet here…i can almost hear you all munching…munch silly HA…

could someone please pass me the salt??..

going2mars on November 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM

21 to 7 at half time. Raider up?? Whats up with that Cowboy fans? Even if they pull it out, they are currently being outplayed.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on November 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Camille was a monster.

msupertas on November 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Yes she was.

Ugly on November 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Well, Had my obamacare talk with my children and grandchild today.

Told them how much I am going to appreciate them paying for my healthcare in my golden age.

Unfortunately, they told me to go get screwed.

Barred on November 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Hope everyone had a great day. Have much to be thankful for even with what the country is going through.

Mine was wonderful(except for the talk, lol).

Barred on November 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Unfortunately, they told me to go get screwed.

Barred on November 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Four of my five kids are stout libs, and only one is conservative.

Both my exes have no idea what they think.

My first ex… she could care less about politics, but she lives & breathes liberalism. Thanks for the hippy kids.

The 2nd one thinks she’s a liberal, but I doubt it, given her beliefs & her structured mind. Nothing free-wheeling about her. Hard core conservative in her heart, I KNOW IT, but she still has that Obama sticker.

My parents, and (I’m pretty sure) my former in-laws are all conservative.

Where the Hell did I go wrong?

Ugly on November 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Chocolate pie.

wolly4321 on November 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Where the Hell did I go wrong?

Ugly on November 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Same place I went wrong with my two, even though they’re conservative and so our boys. It all began with two words: “I do.”

TXUS on November 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM

It all began with two words: “I do.”

TXUS on November 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Haha yeah. Derp.

Ugly on November 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Mine was wonderful(except for the talk, lol).

Barred on November 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Back-at-cha Barred. Glad it was a good one!
I had a great day..eat, drank, and took a coma style nap. :]

The greater % of my family is involved in insurance…we scream about daily..so I was Thankful there wasn’t a peep about it at the table. It was so nice not to talk about it just for one day..especially this one. Even my Lib aunt kept her trap shut. ;)

Greetings Mr. TXUS, Wolly,Ugly, and everyone.
Hope it was a wonderful day for all!

bazil9 on November 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

ate*

bazil9 on November 28, 2013 at 7:47 PM

WOW .. Lions AND Cowboys ?? Our former and present home teams, respectfully.
Cool.

We shared a delightfully stressfree meal here with only our StepDad, with one son dropping by, later, with his wonderful wifey.
Wonderful day.
Looking forward to doing nothing, going nowhere tomorrow.. LOL.

pambi on November 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM

bazil9 on November 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Good Evening and Happy Thanksgiving to you, B9. Glad you got by un-annoyed, and that your lib Auntie STFU.

TXUS on November 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

TXUS on November 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

lol..ME too! She is a lib but at least isn’t one to spout off or get in your face..nice lady for the most part. Luckily, she isnt blood…married to my uncle…

Your previous description of your ranch day sounded like a ball!
I gather you got your wild turkey’s?

My fave thing today was a smoked turkey..was awesome.
I went to a second family members house..he smoked 2. One he made
smoked turkey salad. Was in heaven.

bazil9 on November 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Sorry Ed, the Steelers will not overcome the obamacare curse, That is what they get for sticking up for the flop. Our turkeys have come home to roost.

crosshugger on November 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Hopefully the NFL will have something to say regarding Tomlin’s sideline antics.

Zaire67 on November 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM

…just got home…hope you all had a blessed and nice Thanksgiving !
…Lions won for the first time in 10 years…after a rough start…and I see the last game is just ending…and what an ending!….sorry Ed…it was something!…hope Bell is ok!
…gotta get up in a matter of hours…

KOOLAID2 on November 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM

The Packers, without Aaron Rodgers, have gone into complete collapse.

TarheelBen on November 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Want to see a perfect example of NFL Parity, circa 2013?

Go to the football website of your choice and bring up the box score and stats for tonight’s game, and compare the results by the 2 teams.

So close to each other in so many aspects it boggles the imagination.

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Steelers stun the Ravens tonight, 28-23.

OUCH!

HellCat on November 29, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Steelers stun the Ravens tonight, 28-23.

Heh. How’d that work out for ya, Ed? ;-)

Go Ravens!

nukemhill on November 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Zaire67 on November 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Hopefully they fine his ass for that BS!! He clearly knew what he was doing (by that shit-eating grin after the fact!) and the ref that had to run around him should have flagged him!! My Ravens won so all is right in the world but if the Stoolers would have come back and won, that bush league stunt by Tomlin would’ve been talked about for years!!

ManWithNoName on November 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM

OUCH!

HellCat on November 29, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Heh. How’d that work out for ya, Ed? ;-)

Go Ravens!

nukemhill on November 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Go Ravens!!

ManWithNoName on November 29, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Here ya go, Ed!…..WHAAAT?!!

williamg on November 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Zaire67 on November 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM

ManWithNoName on November 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM

If you check around the interwebs today, some spoofs on Tomlin’s antics have gone viral.

And the NFL has announced it will do an investigation.

Del Dolemonte on November 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Well, if there’s still time, then I want to plug a new website I built from scratch, called The Co-Stars Primer. It’s meant to be all about the co-stars of superhero and other adventure comics, which is becoming increasingly marginalized today, and after all these years since I’d built my last fansite, I thought the time was right to build one more that I hope will be appreciated for what it’s intended to be. Please, bookmark it and let everybody else know there’s a site dedicated to listing ladies like Lois Lane, and that’s just the beginning. Thank you.

Avi Green on November 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM